• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

3′s a charm for A-Dub as Cards return

Posted by Darren Urban on September 5, 2011 – 1:27 pm

On Labor Day, the Cardinals were out laboring as usual. The group was much smaller thanks to cuts — it was the first practice with less than 80 guys. That was one thing notable. (The other thing was safety Adrian Wilson changing up his practice jersey number again. This time, it was the No. 3. I was thinking maybe, because he has three kids? Nope. “I’m the third-best safety of this generation,” he said. “I’ve got to do better.” I’m guessing he was referencing Polomalu and Reed? Not sure. Regardless, he finds ways to find haters — that drives him.)

During the early open portion of practice, almost everyone who had been banged up had a helmet and looked ready to go back into the fray — QB John Skelton (ankle), CB Michael Adams (knee), WR DeMarco Sampson (hamstring), TE Rob Housler (groin). The only one who didn’t look like he’d be doing much was tight end Jim Dray (pec strain) but it’s early. We will get a sense of where everyone is Wednesday with the first injury report.

The Cards didn’t have new running back Chester Taylor yet; all the new arrivals were busy getting physicals and taking care of paperwork, so they won’t practice until Wednesday.

Tags: , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “3′s a charm for A-Dub as Cards return”

1. By cooldaddy79 on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Chris Wells is our number one back. im excited about him, I really hope Chester Taylor and him gel real nice. I really wish Chester the best. Go Big Red!

2. By cards62 on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Depth Chart and roster

Happy Labor Day Darren

I notice that our dept chart list Mike Adams as starting CB and PP and Richard Marshall as 2nd team. Darren who do you think our 2 starting CB will be on Sunday and who do you think will be our nickle back?

I notice that Floyd Womack was on injured reserve. Sorry Darren I missed his injury so could you give me an update on how he was injured , and your opinion on if he would have made our 53 man roster if healthy?

Darren I was also wondering out of all of our rookies and young players (3 years or less in the league) which one of our draft choices has surprised you the most with their skills and which young player seems the most improved to you over last year.

Yeah I know I am making you labor on labor day ha ha.

My last point on our roster is I was surprise that Jeff King is only 28 years old, younger than even S. Spach. Seems like he has been around forever with Carolina.
    I was thinking he was 32 to 34. Sorry Jeff for aging you.

Go Cards beat the Panthers

3. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

cards62 –

RE: Questions

1) Peterson and Jefferson, Marshall as nickel
    2) Womack hurt his shoulder in camp. I think he would have been on the bubble, but he had a shot.
    3) I have been impressed with many of them. I like what Peterson can do obviously. I think Sampson has a chance, and the bar was lower with a seventh-round pick. Amazed Jefferson has come this far this fast too.

4. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

How is Smith’s hamstring? Will Taylor play this week?
    Heard Maui’a was suspended for substance abuse. was it from inhaling too much sheet rock?

5. By Javi on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren, why didnt the cards wear their black jerseys on thursday vs the broncos?

6. By georgiebird on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

As you look at the 1st game with the following add-ons:
    1) Cards home opener
    2) the huge investments in Kolb and Larry
    3) playing against a so-so team with a rookie QB
    4) the poor season last year

Does this game carry more pressure for Whiz and the Cards than any non-playoff game in the past few years?

7. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Javi –

RE: Black jerseys

Teams no longer can wear a third jersey in the preseason.

8. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Georgie –

RE: Pressure

Not necessarily. I thought the pressure was pretty heavy in last year’s opener, after the Leinart situation.

9. By Limeyfan44 on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I note that Whiz has now let go all Cards players that were on our team pre his hiring except for four (Wilson, Fitz, Dockett and Lutui). Do you think that this is a coincidence or a deliberate plan to create his own team? I am a major fan of Whiz, extremely glad that the Bidwells hired him and then gave him an extended contract. Just curious.

Limeyfan44

10. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, u think the Cards will rock the all black against Pitt this season?

11. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Limey –

RE: Roster turnover

I’d say two things to that: 1) In the NFL, five years is an eternity. You are talking about players who were on the roster in 2006. Many teams turn over by now.
    2) New coaches like to have their own guys. They like to make an imprint, and generally, they know they are there because the previous players didn’t win enough with the previous coach.

12. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Rodgerscro –

RE: Black jerseys

I have not heard.

13. By D on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

D
    Do you see a in season extension for Campbell if he starts the season off well?

14. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

D –

RE: Campbell

I would think he’s a guy they’d want to lock up if he starts well, yes.

15. By Javi on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

oh okay thankyou darren

2. Sep 6, 2011: 9-6-11: Arizona Cardinals Bird Droppings – Getting Ready For Game One at hoops227.biz