Cards cut Talley for Taylor, plus practice squad

Posted by Darren Urban on September 5, 2011 – 11:47 am

The Cardinals released DE Ronald Talley today to make room for RB Chester Taylor on the roster. Also officially announced were yesterday’s roster moves: Adding CBs Lindsey and Butler, cutting Spach and Sturdivant (Spach went to the Rams today, apparently).

The Cards also started building their practice squad: Holdovers CB Marshay Green, WR Isaiah Williams, T D.J. Young and DT Ricky Lumpkin, along with C Ryan Bartholomew (late of  Baltimore) and WR Brandyn Harvey (late of the Falcons). Both were undrafted.

More after practice.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

30 Responses to “Cards cut Talley for Taylor, plus practice squad”

1. By Secret on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren, now that Spach is gone, who will be our emergency long snapper?

2. By Mark in Chandler on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

two more openings on PS. Wouldn’t be surprised if they wait to see if Sturdivant and Talley pass waivers and then add them on to the PS. It is noteworthy that Alfonso is still on the team giving them 4 RBs.

3. By Eazy E on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Good move to get chester to join beanie and larod. Crezdon and Korey are cbs we picked up, crezdon is the only one i know about right now. I hope we still get will allen who was released from miami. T.O. also because we need a true threat opposite fitz. Roberts ain’t scaring defenses right now. We would be good after those two additions.

4. By cards62 on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I very much like the pickup of Chester Taylor at RB . I think this is a very good move.

CB Lindsey and CB Butler I need to read more about. How do other Cardinal Fans feel about these additions. I hate that the Rams picked up Spach, but we can not keep all of our tight ends.

I am also glad we keep Williams, Young, and Green on the practice squad.

Darren I did not get to see much of the rookie center from USC. Kris O’Dowd.
    Did you notice him at all and did any team sign him to their practice squad?

Our team is not perfect, but I like our team this year and I think with our schedule and division we play in that we will make some noise and surprise a lot of people.

Go Cards beat the Panthers

5. By joe67 on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren, you said in an earler post, players picked up off waivers had to take a roster spot. Why can Bartholomew and Harvey go right to the p s. Would appreciate you clearing this up for me.
    Thanx alot for all you do.

6. By OLdude on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren: You mention that Spach is headed toward the Rams and I am wondering if you think that “espionage” is part if not THE reason they picked him up. Is there a “code of ethics” or whatever about stuff like that? Or do you think they actually need a body for the position?

7. By CJ on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

are they bringing quan back to practice squad i hope they do

8. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Secret —

RE: Emergency long snapper

I don’t know. Hopefully it won’t matter.

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

cards62 —

RE: O’Dowd

I have not seen if anyone picked him up.

10. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

joe67 —

RE: Waivers

Players on the practice squads were not claimed off waivers. They were allowed to pass through waivers and then signed to the practice squad.

11. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

OLdude —

RE: Spach/Rams

I don’t know their TE situation, but Spach played for the Patriots when new Rams OC Josh McDaniels was there. I would think that has more to do with the move than anything.

12. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    Now that Spach was taken by the Rams, How much does the playbook have to change knowing Spach could tell them formations, packages the offense runs? Do they have to come up with different packages when suddenly someone on your offense that has been there a number of years now suddenly goes to your division rival?

13. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

kauai —

RE: Spach knowledge

I don’t think it’s as big of a concern as you’d think. This happens all the time.

14. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Sorry about asking the same question that OLdude posted but sometimes on the site there is a delay and I am not able to reads prior questions until posting mine?

15. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: Delay

Understood.

16. By azcardinalfan on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

why did the cardinals let go of sturdivant

17. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

azcardinal —

RE: Quan

Because he’s not good enough right now. I expect him back on the practice squad.

18. By Brad O'Neill on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I am kind of surprised skeltons brother was not kept for practice squad? Any thoughts on how he looked in practice the only thing i saw from him was the one missed catch in the preseason game.

19. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Brad —

RE: Skelton’s brother

No, not surprised. Too many tight ends. They already have two young guys (Dray and Housler). Don’t need a third.

20. By shannon robinson on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

I’m glad Stephen Spach got a job with the Rams – he’s a hard nosed player and the NFL rewards his type of man – every team needs a mean guy. I know he’ll succeed. I got a kick out of watching Anderson throw a soft long pass so accurately for the Panthers over our new CB who had pretty tight coverage – good for him, at long last we must have taught him something good.

21. By georgiebird on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Too many moving pieces to give Whiz and Graves any type of grade.
    I just don’t want to see a trend continue where guys we lose- play better with a new team and guys we acquire don’t play as good as expected.
    Let’s see what kind of team Whiz/Graves puts on the field. The Cardinals have lost a rookie running back (Williams) and an unproven CB (Toler). Hightower and DRC were traded away-so that’s not an injury thing.
    So for the most part the Cardinals are healthy and still in a weak division. Time for about 15 of Whiz/Graves draft choices to step up and become productive pros.

22. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Trades/injury

I will give you Hightower, although as I have said many times, had Williams stayed healthy, Hightower would have been upset because he wouldn’t have been playing. Hard not to call that injury.

But in DRC’s case, yes, they traded him away, but to get a QB. You’d rather not have Kolb but DRC?

23. By georgiebird on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Given the hole the Cardinals put themselves in at QB, the Kolb trade was necessary. I will be very interested in watching two developments in 2011:
    1) How Orton and Kolb do- since Orton would have come quite a bit cheaper.
    2) How DRC does in Philly. I was not a big fan of DRC because he couldn’t tackle and good QBs could take him apart.
    Last year, many Giants fans were disappointed in Antrel Rolle because of his risk taking, poor tackling and big mouth. Like Rolle, DRC will play against better QBs and in more inclement weather-it should be a rough go for DRC.
    Would rather have Kolb than DRC. Hopefully for Whiz, he’d rather have Kolb than Bartels or Skelton- therein may rest Whiz’ fate.

24. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

And players make how per week on the glorified scout team?
    If I understand correctly, even though they’ve passed through waivers, they still can sign at anytime with another team, as long as that team places them on the active roster, correct, Darren?
    Didn’t the recently retired Ben Patrick turn down another squad to remain with the Cards one season?

25. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Orton

It’s interesting that the thought remains that Orton would have come cheaper. There is a reason he was never dealt, in part because he too wanted a giant new contract extension.

26. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Practice squad

I believe they make about $8000 a week. Yes, practice squad players can be signed away at any time. If they do so, that team must keep that player on the active roster for at least three weeks. The Cards have had a few players over the years stick around instead of signing elsewhere. In Patrick’s case, they basically promised they would promote him to the Cards roster. He stayed, and they did.

27. By harvey wright on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

To georgiebird and Daren Urban:
    Orton turned down trades to the Cards and Miami. He did not want to leave. If he had made himself available, the Cards could have gotten him cheaper. I’m glad things worked out the way they did, we need people who want to be here.

28. By richard moreno on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

Look, the Dever brass had to at some point that offseason, talked to orton and told him, your our guy.He came into that camp thinkin he was the No.1, there is a reason orton didnt go to miami and it wasnt cause he said “no”. Dever put a kolb like tag on him also they werent sold on tebow or brady q. Plus we wanted Kolb all along. Andystands, im sorry but you sound negative on the “glorified scout team” these are guys hanging on a thread to their dreams.

29. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 6, 2011 | Reply

@ richard moreno,
    On second reading, I also thought I came across as negative, though not the intention
    I apologize. .