Sturdivant, Talley back on practice squad

Posted by Darren Urban on September 6, 2011 – 4:39 pm

As expected, the last two Cardinals to be released — rookie linebacker Quan Sturdivant and defensive end Ronald Talley — were brought back Tuesday and signed to the practice squad. That fills out the eight-man unit, and likely locks down the Cards’ top 61 (53-man roster plus practice squad) until after the game against Carolina.

Sturdivant is the only member of the 2011 draft class that didn’t make the team (running back Ryan Williams is on injured reserve). The Cards still have hopes he can develop, but he, out of the entire rookie class, was the hardest hit by the lockout and the inability to have an offseason with coaches. Right now, the Cards have stuck with veteran Reggie Walker as their main  a top reserve inside linebacker. (I probably should clarify. Obviously Stewart Bradley is the top reserve inside, but since I figure he will get a chunk of playing time in the rotation, I don’t see him as a reserve per se.)

Tags: , ,

15 Responses to “Sturdivant, Talley back on practice squad”

1. By Matt on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Great to hear both are back on the PS! Might have missed this in an earlier post, but if Walker is the “main reserve inside linebacker” does that mean Stewart Bradley is going to get snaps outside as well as inside? I would think Bradley would be the top reserve (unless he eventually takes Lenon’s spot, who I would think would still be ahead of Walker).

2. By Secret on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren, do players in the practice squad get developed and improve while on it as opposed to actually being on the team?

3. By MIKE G on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Who do you see getting the majority of the playing time between Stewart Bradley and Paris Lennon?? Do you see a rotation or do you see one guy grabing the starting spot as the season goes on???
    I know coaches like both players.

4. By Darren Urban on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Matt, Mike G –

RE: Bradley

I probably should clarify. I consider Bradley part of the rotation, more than a “reserve” per se. A lot of guys are going to play.

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Secret –

RE: Practice squad vs roster

Practice squad players still practice as usual. Basically, the only difference being on the practice squad (other than pay) is that you are ineligible to play in games.

6. By DontTakeLoses on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

And you are paid less;)

7. By DontTakeLoses on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Sorry, I know you mentioned it, but wanted to ask how much practice Squad pay is (is it paid by the week)?

8. By Darren Urban on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Don’t Take –

RE: PS pay

I was guessing wrong before. It’s about $5,200 a week.

9. By DontTakeLoses on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Good work if you can get it.

10. By Ryan on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Did the Cards name captians yet?

11. By nodavis2000 on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Can players from the practice squad be promoted in the week to the roster and play in games??? Obviously, someone would have to be let go or pumped down to practice squad if it is possible. I don’t know Darren, so please shed some light on this for me. Thanks!!!

12. By Darren Urban on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Ryan –

RE: Captains

13. By Darren Urban on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

nodavis –

RE: PS promotion

Yes, you can promote someone from the practice squad. You are right, someone would have to be cut from the 53-man roster to make that happen.

14. By Richard S. on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I get the feeling that sometimes when the team wants to keep players interested, they might keep them on the practice squad long enough to make say $30K for the season and then put someone else that they are interested in on the practice squad replacing the first person so the 2nd person can make $30K or so to pay their bills for the year and hope they improve for next season. Am I right or am I right sometimes or am I totally full of it?

15. By Darren Urban on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Richard S –

RE: Practice squad

I think that, in the big picture, that means nothing for who is on the squad. It morphs during the year based on injuries and other issues. So no, I don’t think they are in it to “help out” players.