Peterson and Horton promises plus post-practice

Posted by Darren Urban on September 7, 2011 – 2:22 pm

Cornerback Patrick Peterson is the starter now, and he has also been tabbed as the Cards’ top punt returner — which he said to him was just as important. Peterson established in college he was a dangerous return man, and he is confident that facet of the game isn’t much different. “Guys get down there the same, guys tackle the same,” Peterson said. “It’s all about me getting down and making plays.”

Of course, teams stopped punting to Peterson after a while. “It’s probably a little bit too early for that,” Peterson said.

“But I remember when I first started punt returning at LSU, I told the punt return team, I promise you, by the sixth game, they will stop kicking it to me,” Peterson said. “By the sixth game, sure enough, they stopped kicking it to me.

“I didn’t make any promises here — yet.”

– Defensive coordinator Ray Horton was reminded about his introductory press conference promise that’d he blitz the first play, and he was asked if that had meant preseason or regular season. Horton said everyone would have to watch Sunday. After a pause, he added, “We’re going to pressure. That’s what we do. I don’t care if (the Panthers) know it. We’re coming after them.”

– CB Greg Toler, whose injury opened the door for Peterson to start, said he will have surgery Thursday to repair his torn ACL. “I had my pity party for two days,” Toler said. “Now it’s time to start the comeback.”

– Tight end Jim Dray (pectoral strain) was the only Card not to practice. Cornerback Korey Lindsey was limited because of illness, and a handful of guys coming back from dings were also limited: QB John Skelton (ankle), TE Rob Housler (groin) and CB Michael Adams (knee). Star linebacker Jon Beason (ankle) was limited for the Panthers.

Tags: , , ,

24 Responses to “Peterson and Horton promises plus post-practice”

1. By cooldaddy79 on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

So how does cornerback Butler look in practice?

2. By Secret on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren, why didn’t Greg Toler get his surgery done already? Everyday counts when it comes to recovering from an acl tear!

3. By K DUB on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Noticed that A-Dub was not mentioned as limited. Is he back to full practice?

4. By D on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

don’t rush anything Ryan W, you have all year to get healthy..

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

K-Dub —

RE: WIlson

Yep. http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Peterson-Moves-Up/5b52c9e8-121a-4faa-92ff-c8ab10f20632

6. By Darren Urban on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Secret —

RE: Surgery

Usually swelling has to go down before you can repair. That’s a possibility. I wouldn’t worry. He should be back for training camp, given today’s techniques.

7. By Darren Urban on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

cooldaddy —

RE: Butler

Fine. Don’t see him taking anyone’s job soon.

8. By georgiebird on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

One hope for the year is that Whiz, Horton and Miller can make in-game adjustments on the fly. Anybody can figure things out on Monday.
    If the coaches do their part each Sunday, the fans will be supportive.

9. By kaleb on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

I absolutely love hortons attitude, he’s the kind of spirit we need around our defense.

10. By Sue Dai on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren

While the Cardinals seem to be heading in the right direction, don’t you think Sam Bradford is just too much of an obstacle to overcome?

11. By Jerry on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren, it was said that Skelton is off the ding list, does that mean he will be backup against the Panthers or is Whiz keeping Bartel there for precaution? Also I admire all the work and posts you do for us fans, do you ever sleep or take a break?

12. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Sep 7, 2011 | Reply

I’m excited for the season to start. A little worried about the secondary. The talk around the rest of the country is that our secondary is suspect. With DRC gone, Toler out for the year, Wilson just one hit from possibly season ending injury and a rookie starting, I can see why people are saying the things they are. I just hope Coach Horton can bring the pressure to allow the secondary to be in position to make some big plays. I’m not so worried this week with Newton at QB but when we start facing better QB’s, that’s another story. Let’s get this first W and go from there. GO CARDS !!!

13. By Louisville Card on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Nice article as always. Do you think Housler will play much this week? He is third string and hobbled a little. I have liked what I’ve seen of him, and it would be nice to see him get some snaps. I just wondered what you thought we might see out of him this week?

14. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Sue Dai —

RE: Bradford

I think Bradford is a very good quarterback and the Rams are a team on the rise. But I also think that team only won seven games last season and split with the Cards. They haven’t proven anything yet themselves.

It’ll be between the Cards and Rams, I believe, and it’ll be close, no matter what Rams fans want to believe.

15. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Jerry —

RE: Skelton

He was still listed as limited yesterday. I think there is a chance all three quarterbacks could be active Sunday, so who is 2 or 3 right now could be a moot point.

16. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Housler

I think he is still coming back, but if Dray is still ailing, they could use him, especially on special teams.

17. By Chris B on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Is it me or does Dray spend a lot of time on the “injured/limited” list?

18. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Chris B —

RE: Dray

Might be just you. He played the entire preseason, just got hurt in the last game.

19. By cardinals1964 on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Darren, do you think it’s smart to put your first round draft pick back returning punts? I know P.P. can be a dynamic returner, but we need him to stay healthy. Especially with Toler going down. I just think he’s more important to the team as a corner. Any thoughts?

20. By cooldaddy79 on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

Why does it seem that everyone is rooting for carolina to win, exept for the cardinal fans.

21. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2011 | Reply

cardinals1964 —

RE: Peterson as PR

There are strong arguments both ways. I don’t see it as being wrong to put him back there.

22. By nodavis2000 on Sep 9, 2011 | Reply

@cooldadd79,

Everyone, except Cardinal fans, are rooting for Carolina because they want to see Cam Newton be a huge success story. They’d prefer to see him as the next Peyton Manning (number 1 draft pick that makes a huge impact on the game) instead of that JaMarcus Russell dude that the Raiders got as number one pick and did absolutely nothing except steal money from them.

2. Sep 8, 2011: Around the NFC West: Garrard and 49ers at hoops227.org