Panthers aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on September 11, 2011 – 8:04 pm

I kept thinking, standing down on the field around the 10-yard line after watching the Panthers’ final offensive play Sunday, it reminded me of the final play of the Rams-Titans Super Bowl – the one where Rams linebacker Mike Jones grabbed Kevin Dyson and stopped him a yard short of the end zone. Obviously, the gravity of Sunday’s Cards’ win wasn’t quite the same. But seeing linebacker Paris Lenon stop running back Mike Goodson’s reception for four (plus an inch or two) instead of the five needed for a first down or the six needed for a touchdown was an echo.

Certainly, the Cards have to revel in Lenon’s play. To fall short in what was really an odd game would have been a gut punch. The way the Cards blew chances to score hurt, but they really would have left a mark if it would have meant a loss.

If you would have said beforehand Kevin Kolb would throw for 309 yards and two TDs without a pick and Beanie would have 90 rushing yards and a TD, I would have been thinking it’s a lock. Instead it was quite a bit harder.

They won, though.

– Here’s hoping Daryl Washington is OK with his calf strain. He had an interception, he had another called back on the Richard Marshall roughing penalty (more on that in a minute), was credited with half-a-sack and, I think, will be the one who ends up with the one credited to Joey Porter as well. Plus, on the play he got hurt, he flashed his amazing speed to catch up and tackle Steve Smith from behind. If he stays healthy, he’s going to be a very, very good player.

– Marshall still was incredulous after the game about his penalty. I have a feeling it was because Marshall “launched” himself at Newton, leaving his feet to deliver the hit. But Newton is 6-foot-5 and Marshall 5-11; all it did was allow Marshall to hit Newton’s shoulder with his shoulder. There was no helmet-to-helmet.

“We will see why they threw the flag, but I guess they will let me know,” Marshall said. “I’ve got to play full-speed. I’m not going to slow down. I just have to deal with it.”

– I will admit that I was dead wrong on Cam Newton. I thought he was going to struggle, at least for a while. Whoops. He played a hell of a game, and was much better from the pocket than I expected. Those were 422 real yards, not anything piled up in garbage time.

Does that mean the Cards couldn’t have played better on defense? Of course. They’ll say that. “It is (a work-in-progress) but at the same time, we made mistakes,” safety Adrian Wilson said. “It is a new defense but there are no excuses. Everybody understands that.” Patrick Peterson will get better, but anyone who expected a lot more from him to begin with wasn’t being realistic.

– The same goes for the offense’s issues. You just have a feeling that’s going to get fixed (Jay Feely’s miss is a great example. After he was so consistent last year, does anyone think today’s miss was anything but a fluke?) If Beanie Wells can run like that, the Cards will be OK. The Cards will have to figure out the best ways to get the ball to Fitz – he’ll need more than three catches, obviously – but think of it this way: If Kolb is throwing for 309 on a day when things don’t seem to be altogether smooth, what happens when the offense really “clicks?”

– Tight ends made an impact. Todd Heap had a pair of 20-yard catches early, and Jeff King made his early bid as the Cards’ speed receiver with that 48-yard catch-and-run touchdown. So too did Early Doucet with his 105 yards receiving (including his 70-yard TD, pictured below).  There’s another guy who continues to show he can play … as long as he is healthy.

– I know people want to jump on Peterson for his premature high-step (and I’d be curious, with the new college rules, if that would have been flagged if he was still at LSU and the ball put at the 18 or wherever it happened). In the end, though, it can be a lesson learned. He didn’t finish the high-stepped, he instead stepped up his speed and got into the end zone.

– Speaking of the punt, Wilson deadpanned that there was only one reason to be “mad” at Peterson: Because he fielded the ball back around the 10, instead of letting it drop and bounce into the end zone. “I don’t know if coach is going to scold him,” Wilson said. “Technically, at the 10-yard line, he’s not supposed to catch the ball. It was 89 yards, so I don’t know if he can really get mad at him.”

Tough to get mad after a win.

I think it’s time to go home.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

90 Responses to “Panthers aftermath”

1. By cards>niners on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

positives: Kolb/Beanie/special teams(excluding feely’s miss)

negatives: defense on 3rd down/ secondary/ kolb getting happy feet… all correctable.

was pretty clear that horton was a rookie in the field of play calling

2. By cardsfan007 on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Great way to win, on a day of mourning, i have a feeling they did this for Pat Tillman!

3. By Carl on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Do you think Washington will be okay after his injury? I would hate to lose him for any period of time.

4. By blaxabbath on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

As a University of Arizona fan, I have to admit that I’ll stop worrying about Feely when I see him kick a full solid game.

I was very impressed with the defense late in the game. After playing a pretty soft zone (I am thinking of a 3rd and about ten where they threw to Peterson, the WR caught it for about 8 yards, made a move on PP, and didn’t get tackled until he got a shoulder past PP for the first down), getting straight up burnt a couple times, and having a few questionable calls (that second roughing the passer where his hand grazed Cam’s helmet/facemask after the pass), the last CAR drive made it look like they were more tired than us. It may have been Cam looking for an excuse to scramble out, it may have been their O line collapsing, or it may have been our coverage, but it felt like we were getting pressure and when Cam couldn’t be comfortable, it definitely showed.

Special props for the tackling on Cam. More than a couple times, we were able to wrap up his legs before he broke loose with a lot of green in front of him. I wouldn’t want to see that guy at full speed, Auburn-style, at our secondary. I suspect someone will in the next couple weeks and it’ll be all over the highlight reels.

I still put a lot of weight on the Red Zone lost fumble. I think that putting Cam down would have forced him to throw (not that he wasn’t anyways) and allowed us to play better coverage. Weren’t our INTs (incl the one called back) all in coverage packages?

Finally, I was pleased with Kolb. As a fan who is wondering what to do with his overpriced DRC jersey now, it was a pleasant surprise to see our QB roll out of pressure (loved seeing him spin out of the D’s grasp at the last second) and make plays that were generally not huge losses/turnovers. He made a couple mistakes but, in all, I thought he played the game right. He managed the offense well. He attacked and capitalized when the opportunities were there (I don’t recall any “he had _____ wide open down field but just overshot him”) and cut his losses without taking huge risks when they weren’t.

Would like to see Beanie break one though. That’s a nice threat to have but, given that we can even have a running game this season, I am not complaining.

Sorry this post was so poorly constructed, Darren. It’s early in the season for the comments too.

5. By Phoenixraven1 on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

I was there and guys the first quarter looked ugly! The D was fun to watch while also adding in cardiac card time for the fans like old BUT you can see the potential of something great. The offense on paper looked better than watching it. Fitz easily could have been fed some more balls but I believe it’s Kolb needIng confidence in that throw to Fitz. Kolb flashed some great skills. Bottom line is all the mistakes can be fixed and this offense could be great again! We got the win baby!

6. By Eliot on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Side note, but why does it take so long to get video’s posted on this site? Seems like every other site can get highlights and post-game presser’s except the home site.

7. By Brian R. on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Cardinals need to clean up on mistakes. Defense needs to mature asap. They cant let a rookie pass on them like that (imagine what an experienced qb could do?). Kevin Kolb played an outstanding game.

8. By CJ on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

darren why didnt stewart bradley get in the game at all?

9. By Andy on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

I was impressed with the pass rush but man ray Horton needs to wip the secondary into shape because 422 yards passing is just unacceptable

10. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Peterson’s coverage on that second smith TD was good, just one of those plays though, the exp lacked at corner bit us like I thought it might have. Somethings gotta give there, or we are going to get eaten up unless things turn into a “Peterson island”. I could use some more Dockett in my life as well

11. By Josh on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

I love not havin DRC on our team anymore. Defense is way better.

12. By john on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

mistakes. you gave up 422 yards passing to a rookie qb. I would say you had a few mistakes. you should look for a new dc.

13. By Darren Urban on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Carl —

RE: Washington injury

I wish I knew the extent, but I am not a doctor. I haven’t even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently.

We will have to see this week.

14. By Darren Urban on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Eliot —

RE: Videos

Sorry. It’s early in the season for us too. We will be better. Promise.

15. By Darren Urban on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

John —

RE: DC

Yep, fire Horton after one game.

While they are at it, they should bench Peterson, cut Fitz and agree to forfeit the win.

16. By cardsalltheway on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

“…and reliable kicker Jay Feely somehow missed the ensuing 36-yard field goal…”
    Who held the ball? Oh yes that’s right, it wasn’t Ben Graham but rather Dave Zastudil.
    “Fluke?” No! FG count – 0/1 Dave Zastudil & Jay Feely.
    Dave Zastudil – Punting Avg 5 / 42.0 Net 38.0

17. By john on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

hey Darren, we will see how greenbay game plans for cam next week. you really give up a 70 yard td on third and long.

18. By cards>niners on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Wait, Darren I don’t think they should do any of those thi………. oh I see.

19. By john on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

horton is the one who said he was going to bring the pressure. were was it on that play.

20. By Darren Urban on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

John —

RE: Pressure

Never said they played well enough, or that they didn’t make mistakes. But you are advocating firing him after one game.

21. By john on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Darren, all i am saying is if people our happy with the way the secondary played and the play calling on defense. I think the cardinals are in for a very long year.

22. By Jesse on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

I’m worried. Our pass defense was shredded by a guy who could barely throw 40% in the preseason against vanilla.
    New system, young players, etc, etc. I understand that and that is accounted for, but these are athletes who should make plays. How many PD’s did we see? Why such huge cushions? Cam tore us up throwing down field.
    We got the win, but shouldn’t we be worried we will make Grossman look like Brady next game?

23. By dylan on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

John you obviously have not studied your football well enough to make a claim as ridiculous as firing Horton after one game. But, why were at it Steven Jackson broke off a huge run for a touchdown on the first play of the Rams vs. Eagles game so we might as well fire their dc too ;^)

24. By cdubbbbb on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Im curious why Stewart Bradley didnt play tonight? Is he having a hard time learning the D and transitioning to the 3-4? Anyways I like the pressure our front 7 put on Newton not used to seeing that in AZ. But our secondary was far from good. Peterson obviously is unable to gaurd a reciever like Smith at this point in his young career so i wasnt to upset with PP. AJ actually looked pretty decent as did marshall. The play of our safeties was plain ugly! Im talking to you Mr. Hollywood! You could tell ADub didnt play any preseason, although he ade some good tackles at the line of scrimmage. Oh and whats with that 10ft cushion our Db’s were giving the recievers? That was a huge reason for Newtons success. It really annoyed me how they were wide open almost every play. Horton needs to get our corners in some man coverage. Im not a fan of the zone especially if it looks like that. The play calling felt a little off on both defense and offense. But a win is a win and ill take it. Now lets clean up these mistakes. GO CARDS!!!!!

25. By SteveDCO on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

I still can’t believe Green Bay didnt fire the entire Defensive staff after their loss to AZ two years in the playoffs……oh wait they came back and won the SuperBowl the next year.

Maybe we let Horton have more than one game with a limited offseason.

The “fans” who blast players and coaches after one games are the same ones who them for not having a perfect draft using 3 years of hindsight.

Glad to see the Cards pull out the win, no way they win this fame last year and even in the last few years thinking back to the SB, Tenn, TB and I’m sure others I’m not thinking.

I loved to see the attacking D as the DBs get more experience they D can be great. Don’t forget Wilson didn’t take a single preseason snap.

26. By cdubbbbb on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

I understand that Horton has a scheme and style and alot of it involves zone coverage in the secondary. But I believe a good coach adjusts his scheme to fit his players. It seems to me he was having our corners play like the steelers corners, which arent very good at press or man coverage so they ran alot of zone. I feel we have the corners to match up alot more man to man and pressure the recievers. Horton is essentially wasting the strengths of our corners by not allowing them to body up and get physical with the recievers. if horton doesnt figure out we have more talented corners then he did in pitt and take away that 10ft-15ft cushion then wow that is really unimpressive and every qb in the league is gonna rip us apart! But i like what hortons doing with the front 7

27. By Ron on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

The Cards should hire John for DC. I guess he knows more than anyone else “Sarcasm”.

28. By cardfan on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

its funny how this john dude on hear keeps talking about how bad are def is but funny thing go look at how we got beat my jimmy last year bye this team yea u can get all the yards you want but we had mor epoint look at when warren was are qb had drc and all them people wear still passing crazy on us a long as are offense keeps geting point def doesnt need step up that much more and let not for get that cam newton is not a push over the media put that label on him it be funny if he keep doing that to every team and keep lose touchdown matter not passing yards

29. By JASON on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Great write up Darren, I remember the day we drafted Washington I knew he was going to be a star. He’ll be better than Dansby ever was at the pace he is going, not a knock on Dansby, he was solid, just shows how high my hopes are for Washington to become a star. I really hope this injury doesn’t make him miss anytime.

30. By Carl on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

John you need to lighten up this is going to be a season long work in progress for everyone. Don’t forget the lockout is going to have its effects on new guys and most of the defense for that matter since they didn’t get a chance to work with Horton the whole offseason. Week by week this is sure to improve and keep in mind that despite all the passing yards they still only scored 21 which isn’t terrible.

31. By Marc on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

I immediately thought about tge Superbowl between Rams/Titans as well….here’s to hoping that is where the Cards are headed in the near future ;)
    As I long time Cardinal fan, dating back to the glory years in St.Louis, under legendary coach Don “Air” Coryell, it is worth noting that we (The Cardinals) franchise may well it an important milestone this very season (2011). As I write this, the All-Time Head Coach Win list for the Cardinals stands at 42 by Don Coryell, followed by Jim Hanifan at 39. Third on the All-Time list is our very own Ken Whisenhunt at 37. I’m confident that Coach Wiz can make it to #1 on the All-Time list of Cardinal coaches this season and when he does I’m hoping there will be some formal acknowledgment of what will be a great achievement for Coach Wiz and the entire organization. It is a benchmark that encompasses an NFC Championship as well as an impressive fan attendance streak. What a fantastic hire and an asset Coach Wiz is to our team.

32. By Born n Bred on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

Its a great sight to see when on 1st and 2nd downs we are under center either passing/playaction or running. The balance is nice, im not worried about this offense. That defensive secondary need to focus up. Rhodes needs to know steve smith is running up his backside and thats his man and responsibility in deep 3rds, with peterson on bitz. Peterson/Jerfferson need to see the play happing before it happens on the out routes, we got done in by them time after time. Hey Peterson made a good play on the TD grab from smith, his hand was there, wasnt really beat, he just needs to see it all a lil faster, just like with the out routes. Font seven keep working cause it looks good. Horton will find his groove i hope and bring a good gameplan week in week out. Some say a football teams makes it biggest leap from the first game to the second, i hope that stands true for the secondary.

33. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

John,

I have to agree with Darren. Its only week one. No one can be happy that a rookie QB lit up the defense for 422 yard. But he was sacked 4 times and threw 2 picks (one got called back). but there was pressure. The defense will be better next week and they will continue to get better. Like I’ve said before in a previous blog. The rest of the country thinks we have a weak secondary. We have a rookie, and a undrafted 2nd year guy starting at the corners. Wilson who has not practice all training camp due to his injury. (if you remember last year, WIson wasn’t the best cover safety, he got burned a lot.) With the lock out, and a new defensive scheme, I’m just happy with the WIN and am happy to move on to Wasington. At the end of the day, we still got the win. Now it’s up to the coaches to watch the film and fix the mistakes and game plan for next week.

34. By Bk on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

john

well considering that one of the starting corner is out for a season and a rookie steps in with about a month to prepare for nfl and with new dc im pretty sure in any team it was gonna be bad. bud no worries im pretty sure its gonna get better eventually

35. By swedler on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

I like beanie when he’s running hard, but he’s always a bit off balance and loses his feet. Head-on he’ll run you over but breathe on him a little heavy from the side and it’s like he’s running on ice. Seems like he could run like Adrian Peterson if he could keep his feet under him.

36. By Born n Bred on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

BIG PROPS to Cam Newton.. Did not think he could do that.

37. By Josh the CardsFan on Sep 11, 2011 | Reply

John,

You must have not been watching the news the entire summer. Let me catch you up. The NFL had a lock out, that means less learning time than normal.I would say for learning a new scheme in 5 weeks they did ok. They stopped the run, but got torched by some extremely well placed throws from Cam Newton. We also have very young corners. Growing pains are expected.

38. By scaroth on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

yeah the cards allowed 422 yards passing because they were loading the box to contain carolinas 2 rbs and newtons mobility with his legs- the gameplan clearly was to force the rookie qb to win the game with his arm- cam stepped up to that challenge- but the cardinals held williams stewart and newton to only 74 rush yards and shut out carolina in the 4th quarter

39. By scaroth on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

darren id also like to know about stewart bradleys absence from the field if u have any information

40. By fitzdaman on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

This John guy is trashing Horton after that game? Ya newton threw for a ton of yards, but he was under pressure pretty much all game. He made some great throws! We blew coverage on a 77 yrd td which didn’t help. His 2nd td to smith was about as good as coverage as u can have, he just thew it perfect. I love Horton after what I saw today. Sure we have some stuff to fix, but give it some time. Are you completely missing the fact that we held williams and stewart to 56 yds on 19 carries?
    I do wish I would’ve seen more Lutui and Bradley. Lutui has been throwing people around all preseason and Bradley is a great player!

41. By xevinx on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

I was at the game as well and I have to agree with Phoenixraven1, the offense didn’t look nearly as good at the game as it did on paper. I was actually quite shocked to see the numbers when I got home. Also, in the 4th quarter, I really feel like the crowd came alive. It was like a Seattle game in there. I would like to think that the noise really helped distract and confuse Cam and co.

42. By LB on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Haven’t seen anyone mentioning our run defense anywhere and i thought we were great in that department. Especially considering who we were playing.

43. By Dylan Clarke on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren is it just me or am I the only person in the world that thinks cams rush td the ball never passed the goalline and since the new rule is every touch down can be reviewed why didnt we? I dont know if there was enough evdince to over turn it but hey uf they called it no td and reviwed it I dont think there would not be enough evidence to overturn so it was a very tuff call but i still dont think he got the ball over the line whats your thoughts?

44. By Dylan Clarke on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

And hey john we stoped the run they avg. 2.7 yards a rush and only rushed for and they only rushed for 74 yards 20 coming from cam pretty impressive i think last night and its the first time in a while i can remember us being that dominate on rush def. and we had 2 ints and 4 sacks 7 qb hits and i wont lie that D was fun to watch i like what ray hortan bring to our D!!!

45. By Jeremiah on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

And all Daren is saying is that it was only “one game”. Not to mention it was there first real game in the new system. Nothing in the NFL works really well right away. It always takes time to get everyone all on the same page at the same time.

46. By Jeremiah on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

I would be willing to bet that PP will win rookie of the year. It might take a few weeks before he becomes a consistent corner but his returning ability is already great.

47. By Brian R. on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

John, would you kindly keep quiet? You obviously know very little about how the game is played. You cant fire someone after one game

48. By Old Man Riva on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Unfortunately I live in St. Louis so I didn’t get to watch the game at all. What I gathered from stats, vids and writeups is the Cards are obviously much improved on offense. How wonderful it is to have a real QB this year, some TEs who are pass catching threats and if Beanie can stay healthy, it will continue to be good. Defense needs some work but with a new DC and not a whole lot of time to put a new scheme in place, I think they will improve. Patrick Peterson had a rough day at CB, but the punt return showed what we can expect down the road. I still think he can be another Ronnie Lott or Deion Sanders. GO BIG RED!

49. By cardsalltheway on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Here is the Cardinals Post Game Press Conference…

Forgive me if I’m wrong but didn’t I provide it before you?

50. By cardsalltheway on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

That’s it, only 4 videos, how can we see more?

51. By MIKE G on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Nice win by the Card’s yesterday. I think it was important to start strong and get a win. I thought Beanie ran well and that Doucet had a nice game. Kolb was efficient – just has to take care of the ball. I thought our D did a nice job against the run but really struggled against the pass. I thought we blitzed too much and left Steve Smith on an island against our corners. Smith is the one guy you really have to account for. I think Cam Newton played pretty well but you can’t allow him to throw for 400+ yards at your home stadium. All in all a win is a win. What play did you think was the key play in the game for the Card’s???? I’m going with the Washington interception(tide seemed to turn on this)

52. By brythybo7 on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

John, its one game. ONE GAME!! un juego!! Horton has only had these guys for a month or so, and moved from a LB coach to a DC. It will take time, because its a learning curve for Horton as well. There was virtually no off season, so the team is also trying to learn Hortons defense. If you wanna be mad at someone, be mad a Goodell, the owners and the NFLPA. Dont get mad at the guy who just put one game under his belt after seeing all new faces a month ago. Not even Dick Le Beau would have been able to do much with only a month. These things take time, so get your panties unbunched, and look forward to the next game.

53. By MIKE G on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Was that missed field goal in the first half a miss by Feely or was it bad timing on the snap and hold????. Feely seemed to really pull it to the left!!!

54. By shannon robinson on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Cheers to the offensive line – especially pass blocking! A QB who hits the open receiver will bring joy to Cards fans for years. Run blocking opened holes & I got to see Beannie running up his lineman’s back. Horton dialling up pressure is a thing to behold! Cheers to the new Ray Horton defense. That was one of the most fun games ever. PP has a will to win! Tough D Line play. Thanks to Early for coming through on our expectations and to Fitz on getting open for the last catch – a winner. Captain Lenon ….

55. By cardsalltheway on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

The Q is how did those teams that allowed Matthew Stafford 400 plus yards in his rookie year prevail at the end? HUH?? Isn’t it ironic how you left that part out??? I think the Cards/Horton’s D is in trouble.

56. By cardsalltheway on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Matthew Stafford did not throw for 400 plus yards in his debut/season opener. He didn’t do that until November against the 5-11 Cleveland Browns. The Browns ranked 31/32 teams in yards allowed in 2009. 29/32 teams in passing yards allowed. 28/32 teams in rushing yards allowed. Do you get the point?

57. By AZ Cardinals Rock on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

First: stoked by the LUCKY win.

Second: Why do we attempt a throw into the endzone on first and 5 from the five yard line with less than TWO MINUTES in the half??? We lost a superbowl because of this attitude. And if you run three straight dives and get nothing for it you try the three and leave no time on the clock. This is not sandlot football. We need better from our coaches and let it trickle down from there. Whiz needs more control of his coaches. It’s not about individual stats, we almost gave the game away with this ego loaded attitude. Defense needs to play more controlled football on third down. Offsides and blown coverages negate a sack or int. with new sets of downs. Thank god Peterson ran the return back and saved everbodys butts. Iam a die hard fan but we need to clean up our play and play calling to compete with the heavyweights.

58. By formerAZresident on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

I am kinda disappointed like everyone else about cam newton doing good but uts just the 1st game. Look at the other teams like the steelers, chiefs and rams. We are way better of than they were, besides the defense got better later in the game I say next week will be 2-0 undefeated

59. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

“There is no good time to start a rookie QB.”

– Darren Urban (2010 – multiple times)
    – Ken Whisenhunt (2010)

60. By joe67 on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Kind of an ugly win, but a whole lot better than opening day last year.
    If that game was in Carolina, I think we lose. I was impressed with what I heard from the crowd (watching on TV) Maybe the Cards now have a 12th man. Keep making noise down there. Thats GREAT!
    A lot of work to do, as expected. But I think all fixable problems.
    Just think of the experience PP and AJ got in that one game, and we won.
    Hard to know what to expect of Washington now that they beat the Giants.

61. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

The continued untimely penalties and turnovers can’t be blamed on the first game of the season. They have been a hallmark of Whiz’s team since he took over in Arizona. Message to John Lott: Those two things are going to get coaches fired a lot quicker than your nose tackle playing at 340 lbs. instead of your desired 320 lbs.

62. By Chris B on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

OK, before everyone disowns the defense, let’s consider some things:
    #1- all 4 sacks in the game were coverage sacks. That means the secondary gave Newton squat.
    #2- The secondary wasn’t as bad that the yardage. Dockett said it 3 days before the game, “Give anyone enough time, he’ll get the ball out there.” The pass rush was bad causing the secondary to play bad.
    #3- Give the D credit on the ground. They rightly stacked the box and force Newton to beat them with his arm. Any other team would have done the same.
    #4- If you have Newton on your Fantacy team, trade him. He has the highest value now. Teams will know exactly how to gameplan against him now. The Cards had very little to go on (college tape mostly…) DId he play better than expected? Abosolutely- rookie of the week and it won’t be close. (Steve Smith too)
    #5- If I remember, the Cards D gave up 1 big play. 1. Not bad for a team who led the league that last in allowing big plays (20yrds+)
    #6- Darren Urban isn’t GM, Coach, Owner or Cheerleader (thank God, can’t imagine him in those shorts…) so cut him some slack on the Madden-esque statements/questions. Firing th DC after one game… give me a break.

63. By Chris B on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Oh and watched the replay of D Wash INT… Newton should ahve been flagged- he launched himself head first at Washington to make the tackle. Washington saw it and slid but still….

64. By Stevie on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

John, you are the only one suggesting that people are happy with the secondary play. Every post and sports commentary I have read acknowledges the deficiencies of our young, inexperienced secondary, but you learn from mistakes, not from sitting on the sidelines. And, DC Horton did put a lot of pressure plays in, which sometimes led to the absence of coverage in the secondary. Fitz was double-teamed or more, most of the game, but because of our pressure on the quarterback, we left the secondary on their own islands more than you normally would an inexperienced cornerback. At least, there are my impressions from attending the game.

65. By R Robles on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

John get outta here with that BS fakeass Cards fan we won plain & simple damn man

66. By reap37 on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

We were at the game and saw a lot in which to be confident and a lot in which to be concerned. On the confident side: Kolb, Beenie, special teams (excl. Feely miss). Concern: Defense is not ready and can’t tell if it was game plan or missed assignments or both. Much work is needed. Game score should have been 35-14 Cards with all the missed opportunities. All in all I look forward to much improvement. BTW, never expected Cam to look so great. Was that him or poor defense? We’ll see.

67. By clssylssy on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Ray Horton a rookie play caller…CHILD PLEASE! While I had to question (where the H are the Cardinals?) myself for the seeming lack of coverage on Steve Smith, I realize this is game one and our players have had precious little time to learn Ray Horton’s defensive schemes. Happy with the blitzes and recognize that Cam is not just any rookie…his 422 yards were REAL yards and the sacks we made were not without effort. Thought there were some BS calls, like the “roughing the passer” when Cams shoulder was brushed after he had thrown the ball but Cam got called for “celebrating” and I was afraid we would get a penalty for that too.Apparently that rule is discretionary and the definition is different in college than the NFL…do they even have that in college ball? Our game between these two highly underrated teams was one of the best of the weekend as far as fan entertainment goes. Our defense at the goal line was so “Cardiac Cards” and props go to the fans of the Red Sea who once again rose up to keep the kittys from getting their legs back. We looked much improved, all things considered, but next week will meet a team whose fans are as loud and proud as we are. GOOD BEGINNING! GO CARDS!

68. By CJ on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

I have mixed feelings about this game. On one side, we were fairly consistent on offense. Only two major mistakes were the botched handoff and the missed field goal. Those were 2 big things but the first can be fixed and Feely can have a free one this year because of his amazing play last year.

Defense, I was surprised. This was “supposed” to be an easy win for us given that they had a rookie QB. Playing against last years worst team should be easy, but they gave us a run for our money. Not sure if it’s more that our defense needs work or their offense has significantly improved. Probably a bit of both. I liked the pressure they brought but they weren’t really good at disguising it.

Also, those blitzes gave a lot of 1 on 1 coverage which is tough on a rookie like PP. Probably why he was targeted so much. At least he’s taking it well and learning rather than getting down on himself. Once he improves to pro-caliber levels and consistency, I think we’ll be set.

69. By DontTakeLoses on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Cup half full.
    But the half that is gone went into W column bros.
    No style points in NFL.

70. By Kyle on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

John, people are just excited to see the cardinals get five sacks on defense . I think pasing yards for NFL quarterbacks will increase alot this year thats just the way the NFL is heading……………………………………………………………………………………. Also you used the wrong form of are in your first sentence it should say are , our shows ownership of something .

71. By cowboyssuck on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

john, you don’t know what your talking about…saw lots of potential in the d. they did bring a lot of pressure and newton reacted well a few times for a rookie. very good at stopping the run all day, and that’s a major improvement.

72. By DontTakeLoses on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

PS: Most notable stat other than final score?

Cards won 4th qtr 14-0.

73. By Matt in Philly on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

I’m as critical as anyone, but I think people are being a bit hard on the defense. First of all, without even mentioning his incredible speed and strength, Steve Smith is one of the SMARTEST receivers in the NFL. I’m not surprised that he was able to take advantage of two corners getting their first-ever NFL starts. It is to be expected that Steve Smith burns them for two TDs.

Second, the defense (and probably the rest of the NFL) was expecting Newton to struggle a bit with his passing, and rely more on his legs. So it makes sense that the defensive scheme would focus more on stopping the run than stopping the pass. And they did that with great success, giving up only 44 yards to a tandem of Stewart/Williams that typically annihilates us.

Third, the defense tallied four sacks and nine tackles for loss. That’s not too shabby.

Yes, the secondary needs to do a better job of holding up. Too often, Newton was able to find open receivers in the face of pressure. On several occasions, he would have had nowhere to go if the secondary could have held up in coverage for a few more seconds. I’m confident that we’ll be able to figure that out.

74. By C-Sizzle on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

I was surprised to see Reggie Walker step in for Daryl Washington instead of Stewart Bradley. Was Bradley hurt, ill, or is Walker better? From pre-season and his play 2 years ago I would think he would easily be 3rd on the depth chart. If he cant beat out RW that was a pretty bad signing.

75. By Kevin on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

I was at the game and haven’t had time to watch on tape yet, but one thing I noticed was a lot of plays where Kolb rolled right… and those seemed to always be plays where Fitz had lined up on the left and therefore was not part of the play at all. Maybe I’m just overreacting and this “trend” I saw was nothing but a few plays, but it sure seemed like it happened a lot. Meanwhile on plays where the D didn’t seem to be particularly focused on Fitz and so we had a good opportunity to take advantage, we didn’t get him the ball, except on that one key 30+ yarder late in the 4th.

I thought after the way we held on the first defensive possession and then marched down the field in 6 well-executed plays (other than the sack of Kolb) that this was going to be a blowout. I agree with the previous poster that the fumble on the 4-yard line was huge. Not to mention the 15-yard Roberts penalty on the 5 on the very next drive after we forced a 3-and-out immediately after the fumble. We had 2 consecutive drives not just into the red zone, but with first downs on the Carolina 6 and 5, respectively, and got 0 points. Those are the kind of mistakes that Cardinals fans are unfortunately too accustomed to — killing ourselves. Totally changing the complexion of the game from one that the Cards could have been dominating at that point, to a game that the Panthers were not only in, but gaining confidence. Then we let Cam march them down after the missed FG in less than a minute (with the benefit of another 15-yard penalty) to take the lead at halftime. At that point my emotions had already run the gamut from thinking we were going to blow them out, to thinking we were going to find a way to lose on our home turf to last year’s worst team in football.

So I’m glad our guys were able to pull it out. I wasn’t too concerned after the Panthers’ first TD since that just looked like a correctable defensive breakdown (you don’t leave Steve Smith wide open beyond the defense), but the way Cam was able to find open receivers and put up yards throughout the game was a little distressing. Like Darren, I assumed he wouldn’t be that good — so I’ll be interested to see how he does the next couple of games; is he really that good, or did we make him look good? Peterson obviously bore the brunt of a lot of those yards, but should improve with experience.

Jury’s still out but a W is a W and we didn’t have many of those last year.

76. By Darren Urban on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

cdub (and everyone) —

RE: Bradley

I am not sure why he didn’t play. That’s a good question for Whisenhunt today.

77. By lg on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

we all are cardinals fans on this page i hope and i love to win just as much as any real fan should i’ll take the win ugly pretty it dont matter as long as we win but a real football fan no if you cant play pass def you wont win many i dont want just one win i wont to win them all so if i see where we are weak at im gone talk about it i love how kevin played no ints but pass def was not good rush def was all that and then some.

78. By Darren Urban on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Dylan —

RE: Cam TD review

The booth official is watching the play live and the immediate replay as soon as it happens. They determined there was no need for replay. To be honest, I thought they would take a closer look.

79. By Darren Urban on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Videos

What other videos are you looking for?

80. By Darren Urban on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Feely

I didn’t get a chance to talk to Jay, but I would be surprised if he didn’t say he just missed it.

81. By Darren Urban on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Your point

Yes, I understand what your point is.

82. By ndpenner on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

From the highlights I was able to see (game wasn’t aired in Alaska) it looked like we were All-Madden one play and then a repeat of the 2001 season the next, but we held on and won. It was a game we were “supposed” to win, so I’m glad we got it and without any major injuries that we know of yet. Kolb looked pretty good. I love how anytime we do anything good, there was obviously a breakdown in coverage or a missed assignment somewhere, but if whoever we’re playing *cough*Cam Newton*cough* throws a TD pass, the analysts act like it’s the 2nd coming of Tom Brady. IT’s been that way for as long as I can remember regarding AZ sports teams. Darren, do you feel that there’s a media bias in regards to the Cards? Are we just supposed to lose no matter what becuse we’re the Cardinals? I tuned in halfway through NFL Channel’s little highlight reel thingy for the game, and by all means it seemed like we lost because of the footage shown. I didn’t know based on the footage and commentary that we had interceptions and sacks and that Beanie had a good day and Kolb lit em up for 2 TD’s no INT’s and 309 yards, which is almost Kurt-like.

Bleh…enough of my rant. Got one in the win column (GO CARDS!!) and yet another another great piece by Darren to keep us in the loop. :)

83. By brad oneill on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Beanie looked great, except when he got tired at the end he reverted back to making sideways cuts instead of just going forward where he is very dangerous. Kolb has a tendency to bail on the pocket and he always seems to go the same direction looking for the same way to get bailed out. Carolina was on to him at the end but our future opponents will be on to him from the start.

84. By clssylssy on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Darren–
    I thought all plays were reviewed when points were scored this year automatically? I really don’t get what all the fuss is about except for the SOS…fans who think they could play/coach better than the professionals. It will be interesting to see how the Panthers do against Green Bay. This was only week one and I expect to see a lot of teams correcting the mistakes they made in this first real game. When NFL gives us odds as “heavily favored” it usually is the kiss of death, so the fact that we pulled it off says a lot. Even with the win over Cam’s 422 yards, I notice we still get no respect!

85. By Chuck 1 on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

If Newton can burn the Cards for over 400 yards, imagine what an experienced NFL QB will do.
    The D is porous and not up to winning the division.
    7-9 at best.

86. By Seth on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

I love how people are freaking out and we got the win. Bottom line we won, that is all that matters! Defense will be fine with time after players learn Horton’s scheme better. Be a true fan and just enjoy the win.

87. By jwimmer2 on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Hey ‘Old Man Riva’… you can watch the games at any Hot Shots location, you can watch at St. Louis Sports Zone, or you can watch them at the Post in Maplewood, where I live. I watched the game at the St. Louis Sports Zone on Watson road yesterday.

88. By Scott H on Sep 12, 2011 | Reply

Hey, I’m STILL so glad they fired Bill Davis that I haven’t really come back to earth yet! Not going to worry about Horton after one game. The D had some big plays, too. And ya know what? Maybe – just maybe – Cam Newton really is an insnaely talented guy who is going to set this league on fire going forward. The Cardinals were the first team to face this guy in a real NFL game. And maybe they aren’t gonna be the only team to gets torched by him this year.

89. By Eazy E on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know why anyone would really doubt Cam? Cam at auburn ate up sec defenses in 1 year which are full of nfl talent. Kolb had a very good game 18-27, 309 yards, and 2 tds and NO TOs. Beanie looked good running the ball although he and Kolb messed up on the fumble moreso on Kolb than Beanie. Early had a very good game with 3 catches 105 yards including the HUGE 70 yarder for TD. Fitz gotta get that ball alot more than 3 times. Levi starting off giving up 2 sacks, pitiful, keith also gave up some pressures almost sacks where kolb had to adjust more than not adjusting. Front 7 looked good getting pressure with scho with 0.5 sack with Lenon, and D-Wash with a sack. PP had a tough game but it was Steve Smith for goodness sakes, chill out, dude is a beast with the game winning 89 yard punt return for td. Marshall got a bad call against him though, but he still had a sack. Kerry had a sack also and A-Wil said the big steve smith 77 yard td was his fault and not kerry’s. A-Wil didn’t have a horrible game and he gotta get back into the groove of things which will happen shortly. I already know what’s going to happen next unfortunately with the terrible 6 game losing streak, just wanted to come all the way back and comment on this amazing game by Cam and the Cards.

2. Oct 2, 2011: Latest Super Bowl Highlights Video News - SuperBowl Tickets