• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Hightower’s “guarantee”

Posted by Darren Urban on September 14, 2011 – 11:34 am

Former Cardinals running back Tim Hightower made a guarantee of sorts earlier this week, when the Redskins’ back said “We’re going to win this game” when asked about playing the Cards in Washington Sunday. I’m not sure what else he is supposed to say, especially playing his old team.

“It’s kind of funny it has even come to that,” Hightower said. “That’s one of those things where anyone who’s lived life long enough and been through anything, knows that life isn’t guaranteed. Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. People are going to take it however they interpret things. I know my intentions. I don’t have any disrespect for anybody there, but I am a competitor. I want to win.

“If it was the other way around and I was on (the Cardinals) I would be saying the same exact thing. … I know coach (Ken) Whisenhunt is going to have that team prepared and they are going to expect to win. It wasn’t anything disrespectful. I didn’t take a shot at anybody and it wasn’t an arrogant comment. It was just confidence in my team and the competitor in me.”

My guess is that the Cardinals players know that. Hey, this isn’t Namath and Super Bowl III. If anyone isn’t already thinking Hightower would desperately want to beat his former team this weekend, they are being naive. In any case, it will be interesting to see how this one plays out — I don’t think it’s easy to gauge exactly where the Redskins or the Cardinals are at this point, other than their records are each 1-0.

Tags: ,

53 Responses to “Hightower’s “guarantee””

1. By Aaron on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Hightower remains a classy guy and I wish him nothing but success (except for this Sunday where I hope he’s completely shut down).

2. By cards>niners on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I hope his fumble issues re-emerge on sunday…

3. By Gilbert on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

That’s kool what he’s saying but let’s remember he was the fumble king here on az that’s why he was traded. Best of luck to him.

4. By Rich Fourmy on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Well said Aaron! My sentiments exactly.

5. By scaroth on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

+1 Aaron

6. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I like Hightower as well, just not this week. I wish him all the success in the world, but this week, I’m wising him 10yards total and a couple of fumbles.

7. By NJCardsFan on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I’m not gonna lie, I wish Timmy was still on the team. Would feel a lot better about the running back situation, even if Williams did not get hurt.

8. By joe67 on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

May very well be the most difficult game to predict this week. If you are a betting man, or woman, LEAVE IT ALONE.

Go Cards

9. By wayne on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Did you recieve my e-mail “sack evidence” ? did you get a chance to look at it?
    Hightower is one of if not the classiest player in the NFL and we all wish he was still a Cardinal and by the way the Cardinals are going to win Timmy!

Thanks, Darren

10. By Stevie on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I’m with you, Aaron. I hated to see him go, but I knew that he would get to play more elsewhere and I suspected that Beanie would do better without Tim here to feel that he was still in competition with him. I think Beanie is doing much better with more carries. And obviously Tim is happy where he is now.

11. By Cardfan on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

as they say nothing in life is “guaranteed” It will all be played out on the field…best team wins… GO CARDS!

12. By DontTakeLoses on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Stewart and that other Carolina runner (brain cramp) probably are better than Timmy. < 60 yds imho… Go Darnell, Calais, Dan

13. By Carol on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I’m a big fan of his and I agree with Aaron that he is a class act. I was disappointed to see him go and I hope he has a great career! I also hope he has a good game on Sunday but not good enough to win!!! It will be interesting to see who gains more yards between him and Beanie.

14. By jocards on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Is it just me or is it somewhat comical for a guy of Hightower’s limited stature as a player to be popping off and making guarantees? Whatever….I really wish more guys would just shut up and play.

15. By Bob on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

It’s a battle of Energy!!! Everyone rallyed up and gave the defense the MOJO they needed to secure the win last weekend. That means it can happen again ;o) there may have been some problems on the Darkside but man o man was it ferocious! IT’S ONLY GONNA GET BETTER BABY!!! **hoooot hoooot!** birdawg!

16. By cdubbbb on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Mad respect to hightower i hope he has a great game and great success in washington. He is a good football player and it was hard to watch him leave… victim of circumstance. Much love tim!

17. By Big Red Fan on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Agreed –

Hightower is a great player, a total class act, and I wish him the very best. I’m kinda glad to see him get the chance to be ‘the guy’, which in turn allows Beanie to be ‘the guy’.

18. By AZCoyotes on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Agreed Aaron.

19. By MIKE G on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren—I think both the Cards and Redskins are trying to find their identity and this should be a close game. I am a Hightower guy and wish him well–but not this week. Cards must play a clean road game and minimize their mistakes-hopefully not many penalties and turnovers. Hightower is their guy(25 carries last week) and we must limit his damage on the ground then not give up big plays in the passing game. Should be a fun game. Anything new on D Washington’s status yet?

20. By phoenix phantom on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Once they join the other team albeit trade, free agency or otherwise, total domination should be the objective. No matter the player ie…Boldin, Breaston or Hightower. Especially with his guarantee of a win this weekend.

I hope the Cardinals punish him over and over for running his mouth. I think he gets shut down this weekend just like the two-headed monster did last weekend.

He’s the one who requested a trade so he should have no ill-will towards the organization. As a matter of fact, he should be grateful they granted him his wish.

Here’s to two fumbles and some missed blocking assignments by Hightower…

21. By Ross on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Gonna love watching it. Should be a great game.

22. By Cards4Life on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Always liked hightower that being said, I hope Adub puts him on his back several times on sunday!!!

23. By vsancards on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I love Tim Hightower. Hated to see him go. Just remember to gaurd him on the screen on 3rd and Goal in the 4th Quarter! Cause if we don’t we know he will SCORE! Go Cards!

24. By Porter on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Aaron has that right. He has worked hard and I want him to keep succeeding, just not on Sunday. Maybe I missed this Darren, but any word on if D-Wash will be good to go this week?

25. By guy on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

who? fumble-ina?

26. By D. Dockett on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Not gonna happen.

27. By Jesse Robles on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I am happy our secondary played their first game against the Panthers, they needed the, “in game” experience. If Kolb and the O play that consistent, and we do not get burned like we did week 1, we can be a really good team. I like Hightower, but if he is watching film on our front 7 of last game, he will see he has no chance, except catching the ball out of the backfield. That is only if Ray doesn’t fix the passing attacks. LETS GO CARDS! LETS GO RED SEA!

28. By RED BIRD 66 on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I liked Hightower when he was here but that has passed. Not sure about his guarantee but I hope he has to eat his words. A little worried about the early game and the east coast. Hopefully we have moved past those issues. Hopefully the D plays better against the pass and continues to shut down the run. Maybe the D can guarantee a few fumbles sunday so we know it is the same old Timmy fumble fingers. Go card!!!!

29. By nodavis2000 on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Our defensive scheme against the Panthers was to stop the run and take away the running lanes for Newton. The DEFENSE excuted that to perfection. Unfortunately, our secondary paid a penalty for that scheme.
    I have confidence in Horton and that he will prepare our D to meet the Skins offense. I hope Hightower does well there in DC, but not against us. We are competitors too.

Go Cards, get 10+ wins THIS SEASON!!!

30. By Darren Urban on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Wayne –

RE: E-mail

I did see it. Thanks.

31. By Darren Urban on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Phoenix Phantom –

RE: Hightower “request”

Did I miss something? When did he request a trade?

32. By Phoenix Phantom on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

That’s what was reported on one of the local talk shows. Not sure how much of it is true but I can only go off what I heard. Not sure if it was your twin brother Jureki or the other station…

Either way he was not happy here once Ryan Williams was drafted and stealing reps in practice…

Redskins win one game against the banged up Giants defense and think they are going to go out and dominate the league. Given their track record and poor coaching regime I think they’ll fall back to earth by midseason.

33. By John on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren, any news on mike adams and other injured players?

34. By Darren Urban on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

John –

RE: Injury update

35. By Thomas77 on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

So I just finished watching a replay of the Cards/Panthers game, and I noticed something kinda small (or possibly not so small).

11:39 left in the 4th quarter, 2nd & 10. Kolb rolls out to the right and dump is off to Beanie. Beanie gets hit in the legs and taken out of bounds. Problem, at least to me, is that he seemed to go down a bid weird. He was hit in the legs, but when he went down his legs knees didn’t really bend. Just didn’t look right to me. And when he got up, he sorta got up a little slower. Since that hit…I didn’t see him running with the same authority he had been. He wasn’t challenging defenders, and sorta started playing the “juke” game, and not using his power. Then later on in the game, he again got up a little slower, leaning on his left knee.

Now, I could just be a bit paranoid considering we no longer have Hightower, Ryan Williams is out for the season, LSH is iffy for next week, and all we have left is Chester Taylor and Alfonso Smith. But last year, Beanie hurt his knee (can’t remember which one) and had to have arthroscopic surgery. Has there been any talk or concern over Beanie possibly reaggrivating that injrury? It could very well be that he was just tired after carrying a huge portion of the carries as well as a few piles for 3 1/2 quarters. But still, knee injuries tend to be nagging injuries that don’t ever fully “heal”. And it was after that hit that I’d noticed a change in pace in how he had been running the ball. I don’t know…maybe it’s just me….

36. By Josh on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Here is what gets me. Everyone on here “Hightower is a class act, blah blah blah” Who cares if he’s a class act. He’s no longer a Cardinal, he’s now the enemy. Here is a guy who opened his mouth and tried to cover it up with this PC remark about his comments. We can only hope the Cards Defense smashes his face and watch him return to form by fumbling a few away. #SGW

37. By Darren Urban on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Thomas77 –

RE: Beanie

He practiced today and isn’t on the injury list. I don’t think it’s an issue.

38. By TucsonTim on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Lot of love for Timmy. So who do you think will get more playing time, Hightower or Holliday?

When do we find out about that draft choice?

What’s the word on Taylor? Are they coaching him up to help with the pass protection.

39. By Darren Urban on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Tucson (and everyone) –

RE: Hightower

1) I am assuming this is rhetorical. Hightower had 25 of the Redskins’ 26 rushing attempts last week. If anyone is trying to make the point that “the Cards got ripped off in the trade” they are missing the reality. Hightower was going to make more than $2 million and was probably not going to play much. Beanie and Williams were going to be the top two guys. The Cards didn’t want to make an awkward situation worse, so they made a deal.
    2) The draft choice is either going to be a fifth- or sixth-rounder, depending on Hightower’s playing time.
    3) Taylor will play this week. They just wanted to give him a week to get situated.

40. By Bob on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

He should have stayed with us. I wish him bad luck for the rest of his carer.

41. By Jesse on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I benched Hightower this week. If Carolina’s tandem couldn’t get more than 76 yards on 20+ carries, Timmy probably won’t do any better.

42. By Jeremy on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I had him benched last week but I’m putting him on for week 2 (thanks to Marques Colston), see how it goes. Hoping Larry will get more yardage in this game

43. By TucsonTim on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Darren. I just don’t think we got much for Timmy. I would have had him above Wells on the depth chart, but what do I know. I guess we’ll see it play out over the next few weeks.

44. By Jeremy Olsen on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

How did you hear about him not playing? He played fairly well and as far as i can tell he will be playing.

45. By Eric on Sep 14, 2011 | Reply

I happy that Tim is home in Virginia, but I am more happy he won’t be breaking our hearts with untimely and frequent fumbles. There is a reason we picked up a solid number two back in the draft. Even with Williams unfortunate injury, I don’t miss him. Beam is clearly the better back. If he was smart he would keep his mouth shut, I’m sure DD and the boys are even more fired up to decleat the kid.

46. By clssylssy on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

I have a former friend who is a Redskin and has been shoving this down my throat along with misquotes from Coach Whisenhunt. As I told him, Hightower was respected and a team favorite here and his trade was business and it was an administrative decision…he’s not the first and won’t be the last. But, the sour grapes is a lose-lose for everyone and is negative energy; frankly I was surprised by Hightowers remarks to the press and disappointed in what I thought was a classier guy. You would never find Larry Fitzgerald sinking to that level but if Tim needs that to fuel his motivation then, I guess that speaks for itself. The reality is this is not a critical game for the Cards and I view it as good practice for the following week that IS a division game that IS important. It would be very nice to win but, practice exercises are important too and I would rather see the Cards a little humble and trying harder when we meet the Rams. The pressure is all on the Redskins. They think they are “America’s Team” and better than everyone, and so if they lose this one to a team they consider beneath them and unworthy to be on the same field,,,at home…well…LOL! Every game is important but sometimes you have to pick your battles and this one isn’t worth anybody getting hurt in. GOOD LUCK CARDINALS, COACHES, WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

47. By Malcolm on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Im glad to know three are knowledgeable fans out in Arizona, but more than that classy as well. Long time redskins fans, remembers when the Cards were NFC East rivals. Im picking the redskins to win a close game. Good luck to the Cards in week three.

48. By shannon robinson on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Hightower looks good in the burgendy and gold. My Dad had season tickets in RFK Stadium for the Sonny Jurgensen years, we were singing “Hail to the Redskins” and watching us beat Dallas 36-33, then the Lombardi years and later George Allen’s ‘Over the Hill Gang’- seeing Pat Fisher come over from the Cards and show us what a small cornerback can do running step for step with a six foot three receiver and jamming his helmet into the guys chin! It was also great to carry that tradition over to the Cards’ NFC East rivalries. I wish Tim Hightower all the good fortune in his Skins’ carreer, he’s a great back. Run, Beanie, Run. Beat those Deadskins!

49. By Aaron on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

I don’t get all the excess love for Hightower. He never did anything overly spectacular, unless you consider putting the ball on the ground spectacular. He’s not with the team and for good reason. He tried to cover up his “guarantee” with a more PC comment. Honestly I couldn’t stand watching him every Sunday. With his ability to hit the line of scrimmage and go down with a 1 yard gain or so, far too often. Happy to see him elsewhere. Being a “Classy guy” has nothing to do with being productive.

50. By joez on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

hightower is a fumble specialist, his fumbles were very critical last 2 seasons, if that wasnt the reason what is then for him being traded. Bean will turn things up and without timmys fumble curse rubbing off on him bean will beat up the d lines this year. I am surprised by how well this cards team looks, it might be to early to tell and im sure a championship year is another year or 2 in the making. when it pops its going to blow the league up and everyone will be shocked Cardinals top rank team. No other football team is disrespected and given no chance at wins as much as Cardinals are, i love stuffing w’s down those espn clowns throats.

51. By Brent on Sep 15, 2011 | Reply

Copied from the Washington Examiner:

“Of Tim Hightower’s 50 carries with the Redskins, including 25 in the preseason, 29 have gone for two yards or less. Of his 25 runs Sunday, 15 went for two yards or less. The key is that the Redskins stay committed; he’s been good at snapping off long runs – when he gets the blocking. That wasn’t the case Sunday.”

I liked Hightower and was disappointed when he left like some others. But the truth be known…he has always had a low yard average. He’s a tough runner, but not a real game difference maker most the time. Let’s hope that stays true this Sunday against the Cards!

52. By pipapiko on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Shoot I think Hightower has the longest run in cards history! Going back to that playoff run against the saints a few years ago.

53. By pipapiko on Sep 16, 2011 | Reply

Oh yeah and the saints won the superbowl that year!