Morning after with Whiz

Posted by Darren Urban on September 19, 2011 – 11:40 am

Calling chances to win on the road “precious,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said today about what you’d expect after the Cardinals blew that chance Sunday. The team, especially the defense, is a work-in-progress. Believe it or not, he said, there were some good plays made by the defense. But there is still too much yardage surrendered and too many mistakes made.

“When we make bad plays,” Whisenhunt said, “they are really bad.”

Whisenhunt knows the team needs to cut down on penalties, especially the “dumb” ones by the defense yesterday. He said Kerry Rhodes’ 15-yarder was because he inadvertently bumped an official, and the official knew it was an accident — otherwise, Rhodes would have been thrown out of the game. He also said the punt team missed the injured LaRod Stephens-Howling as the gunner, which impacted the Cards’ coverage.

He added he thought the young cornerbacks showed improvement from week one, but that they can’t afford to turn receivers loose downfield. They avoided the big plays yesterday (which helped in stopping the Redskins from scoring too much).

Injury-wise, the Cards came out pretty healthy. Other than linebacker Paris Lenon (ankle), who came back in the game, Whisenhunt didn’t name any names for injuries because nobody suffered anything that would cause them to miss any time, he said. It’ll be wait and see on someone like linebacker Daryl Washington, whom the Cards hope can return to practice at some point this week.

– Tomorrow, I will host  a live chat right here at 11:30 a.m. Az time (2:30 p.m. Eastern). Gear up for all questions Cardinals.

Tags: , , , ,

82 Responses to “Morning after with Whiz”

1. By Peter on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Heartbreaking loss… you can point the finger at one play or whatever but the little mistakes were greater than the mistakes of the skins and that’s all there was… I never felt the offence was in a groove despite the touchdowns… never felt like they could score at will at any point in the game… also the turnovers not capitalized on, defence played well at points but got gashed at other points… Whiz is looking at the plays where people get deep… including the santana moss td… wilson and pat p got beat… not a good look considering the front seven had the run game decently in check

2. By Peter on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Can the officials really throw a flag for an accident?

3. By Andy on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Did Stewart Bradley change his number from 97 to 52?

4. By bOB vEROLINI on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Why isn’t the Whiz
    Monday press conferance posted this year?

5. By Marcos on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

hey Darren,
    how long will the chat last because im in class till about 12pm.

6. By Tx Cards fan on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

Nothing about lack of O line play or wishing they would have run the ball more to close out the game and drain the clock?

I know it’s not fun to bring up or admit but you can’t fix thing unless you address it and learn from it. To think the coaching staff was errorless this week would be an oversight.

7. By MIKE G on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren– We need to get a win in Seattle this week. Being 2-1 is where I think the Card’s should be after three games. It’s good we didn’t have any injuries this week. Seattle will play hard and desperate being at home and 0-2. We have to cut down on these penalties. Big game within the division.

8. By Bob on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

You must fix the defense, this is why you lost the superbowl. Getting burned in your secondary…

9. By joelz on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Players are fine with the exception of “a. wilson” totally can tell that was his 2nd preseason game, slow, bad timing, and forget about the pass. Coaches lost this game especially defense side. Got to get a better defense scheme cuz the one played is getting ran on and passed on. Hope come week 3 that the players can motivate the coaches to start getting them the right cov and plays needed.

10. By reap37 on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Ever since I became a season ticket holder six years ago, the defense has been suspect. With Mr. Horton coming on board, I thought that will all change finally. I think it’s going take more reps to really install the type of defense he wants so I’m trying to be patient. I think we are a much better fottball team than we showed in D.C. on Sunday. Dumb mistakes and missed assignments will kill us unless fixed. I hope that is sooner rather than later.

11. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Peter —

RE: Accident

You can’t touch an official. Period.

12. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Andy —

RE: Bradley

Yes, he did right after the preseason.

13. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Bob —

RE: Monday presser

The audio gets posted, here: http://prod.static.cardinals.clubs.nfl.com/assets/podcast/podcasts.xml

14. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Marcos —

RE: Chat

I will probably end up doing at least an hour.

15. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Tx Cards —

RE: Running late

It didn’t come up. As I said, draining the clock with 5 minutes left doesn’t make sense to me, not when you are only leading by two points.

16. By MIKE G on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren –Do you think it is possible in todays NFL with all the passing with these 4 and 5 receiver sets that the linebacker position could become extinct. I predict in the upcoming years with all the passing and the way the QB is protected — LB’S could be history. I predict 4 lineman, 1 linebacker, 6 defensive backs! Do you think thats possible????

17. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: No LBs

I see what you are saying, but here’s the issue — who rushes the QB? More importantly, who is stopping the run when teams go to two tight end-two WR sets?

18. By APCARDS on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Are there any plans for a Cardinals immediate post-game show that will include press conferences by Kolb and Coach Whiz? It seems strange that such a large metro area does not have this type of coverage for their NFL team.
    I hope the Cards can win against Seattle!!

Also, what is the story with Michael Adams? I did not see much of him in the game.

Thanks!

19. By georgiebird on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Whiz sounds like a broken record. For the last 50 years, the Cardinals’ defense has been a joke to the whole NFL.
    Whiz has no sense of Cardinal history as concerns the poor defense year after year- that’s why he hired a novice like Ray Horton.
    The NFL is built on strategy, player evaluation, shrewd play calling and it seems like Whiz and his staff are overmatched.
    The Cardinals have (almost) always lost in Washington even in the Cards better years in the 1970s. I believe at one point, the Cards had lost 17 straight games against the skins in Washington. The old NFC East teams have always been too physical for the lightweight and slow Cardinals’ defense.
    Time for Whiz to solve the defensive problems or it’s time for the Bidwill’s to get a new HC. And compared to other teams, the Cardinals’ defense is healthy.
    A question- How bad is Rashad Johnson??

20. By JB on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Why aren’t Whisenhunt’s Monday press conferences on the website this season?

21. By MIKE G on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren –Certainly not an easy solution for the defense when it comes to different packages by the offense. I just feel that there is definitely a change in the NFL as compared to the way we used to know it. The game is so wide open and with all these receivers-
    and rules that favor the offense—
    – I just feel the structure of the defense needs to change to match what offenses does today. I believe safties could become LBS in the future of this league.
    You need 4 good corners to stop all this passing today. A player like ADUB could be a LB(could cover,blitz,play run) —Do you think safties could take over the role of a LB???? In the future one D-coordinator will try this. You Think??

22. By Jesse Robles on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Whiz is always quick to blame everyone but himself and his play calling. Been saying it for years he is not a Offensive Coordinator, but he still seems to think so. Play calling needs to be as consistent as the Players play, so get your act together too mr blame everyone else.

23. By Rich on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Haggans is playing really well……………………

24. By dan on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Porter and Haggins need to be sitting on the bench most of the game, not the other way around.

25. By cardinalswooo on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

Whiz seems to be having harsh words for his defense. Do you think that the offense deserves part, if not all of the blame for this loss?

His three first half rushing attempts left the defense on the field for a full game’s worth of minutes, even with two turnovers . His play calling with a 3 point lead and 4.5 minutes on the clock and was run, pass, pass… running the clock out for a full 10 seconds.

You would like to hear a coach accept responsibility where it is due and pat his young defense on the back for doing everything they could to keep them in the game, while playing under exhaustion. The major match-up that won this game was Shanahan over Whiz. I have confidence that Whiz can adapt his philosophies to his current team, I hope that it is soon than later.

26. By Nick Pepe on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

There were good things yesterday, and there were some bad things. Hopefully hard work will make the good stuff great and the bad stuff good. It could be worse. We could follow the “blue print” of Todd Haley’s Chiefs as suggested from one of our fellow bloggers a month ago. How’s that working out for him? Don’t get me wrong, I like Haley and wish him well, but boy are they in a rough state right now.

Too many penalties yesterday. I thought Kolb played well except for the pick. He should have taken what he could on the ground and settled for 3. Hopefully he learns from it.

Defense gave up a ton of yards, but made enough plays to keep us in it.

I thought the one of the biggest factors was field position. And the inability of the O to get some first and having to punt from deep in it’s own territory.

Darren, any idea what the average was in regard to the field position?

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

27. By Phoenix Phantom on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Rhodes needs to keep his emotions in check. If i’m correct he got thrown out of a game last year for an altercation with an official. Is it me or does Wilson look a little lost out there? I’m not sure if it’s because he’s in a new defense or because he’s lost a step. I really think some youth in this defense will help…I’m tired of see the opposing team’s TE running up and down the field wide open. I can only assume the LBs are not able to keep up. Am I correct in that assumption?

28. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

APCards —

RE: Postgame/Adams

There are usually postgame on the KTAR radio broadcast.

As for Adams, he is now the fourth CB, and thus, he’ll probably play mostly special teams unless there is an injury.

29. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Defense

I get it. I get that you are unhappy. But to be honest, I have no idea what the Cardinals defense in 1970 or 80 or even 90 has to do with now. You’re going to say it’s systemic, but there is no one — no one — making decisions now that was doing it, 15, 20, 30 years ago. You have every right to complain about the defense, and say it’s been terrible under Whisenhunt. That’s fair. But it’s time to live in the now.

30. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

JB —

RE: Pressers

All pressers are here: http://prod.static.cardinals.clubs.nfl.com/assets/podcast/podcasts.xml

31. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: LB/S

As I said before, I don’t think linebackers will be extinct. If you have good ones, you are happy.

32. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

cardinalswooo —

RE: Whiz/defense/offense

Whiz has said the offense needs to stay on the field longer to help the defense. I agree the offense needs to hold the ball longer. But are you going to say, “Hey, Kolb, don’t throw a 73-yard bomb to Fitz, because the defense needs more rest!” The best line I have heard about a defense getting tired is this: If the defense forces a three-and-out, they’ll be off the field right quick, and get plenty of rest.

As for the idea he should “pat his young defense on the back,” well, only his CBs are young. And this isn’t high school. These guys are making a lot of money. Criticism and high expectations comes with the territory.

33. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Nick —

RE: Field position

Cards’ average starting spot was their own 26. Washington’s was their own 34.

34. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Phoenix —

RE: Tight ends

It’s a tricky thing to cover. Notice that Jeff King of the Cards has a pair of touchdowns too — everyone is having issues covering tight ends.

35. By Tx Cards fan on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

It’s not about milking the clock with 5 minutes left. It was the called pass on second and seven that went incomplete on the next to last drive of the game for us. That falls squarely on OC Mike Miller & HC Ken Whisenhunt or possibly even Kevin Kolb (if he audibled from run to pass). Preserve the lead. Eat the clock. Run the ball. That is what running a 4 minute offense is about. The Cardinals were winning by eight points with five minutes in the game. Beanie was averaging 6.64 yards per carry. Trust the running game to move the ball down the field and at least put 3 points up. Poor game management. Poor result. But to each their own we all just want the Cardinals to win and we all have our opinions and it’s always fun to give them. Thank you for what you do I enjoy the posts.

36. By Nick Pepe on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Wow. Not as bad as I thought. Perhaps a couple of penalties skewed. My perception. Thank you for the info

37. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Tex cards —

RE: Five minute drive

The score was 21-19 when that drive happened, not 21-13. The Redskins’ TD (and missed two-point conversion) came with 5:17 left. The Cardinals had possession last on Fitz TD at 10:58 to take 8-point lead, and got it back at 5:17.

38. By Phoenix Phantom on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

What’s your honest assessment on A-Dub? I truly respect the man but I’m afraid he’s a liability in coverage. I even heard Betrand Berry say today that A-dub can’t cover well…

39. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Phoenix —

RE: A-Dub coverage

It’s never been Wilson’s strong suit, but I think there are bigger issues right now.

40. By william smith on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

look guys you get what you pay for ,when we get good def.players we cant keep them

41. By Scott H on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Shame they let this one get away. I honestly thought they would start 2-1 with the loss being against Washington. But once the game starts and it looks like a game they could – and should – win…ugh. And ya never know if that ONE loss in a game you should have won is gonna be the game that comes back to bite you later on. This team is NOT gonna run away with the division this year, so…wins will be at a premium. And they gave one away yesterday, plain and simple. And they’re not good enough to do that, even in the NFC West.

BTW, thank you Chansi Stuckey for coughing up the ball and late in the game and snuffing out our last chance to get this one back. I knew you were going to be useless this year and, well…you’re living up to my expectations.

Did anyone notice that Cam Newton threw for more yards against the Packers yesterday that he did against the Cards the week before? Then again….never mind. Newton just might be that good. But the fact is, our defense might just be that bad. They certainly have been for two games out of two games played so far. I’d like to think that they’ll get better, but…where / who is it gonna come from??? This secondary looks like it just can’t cover. So far, we’ve been torched by a rookie and a journeyman. Any one else concerned that we might also make Tavaris Jackson look pretty good, too??? Don’t think it can’t happen.

But to end with positives, I am thrilled with Kevin Kolb and just hope he can hang in there. The team once again failed to improve the O-line. Kolb is good enough to overcome some of that with sheer ability but…how long can he hold up physically??? Good job, front office. Back to the positives, good to see Fitz back to looking like Fitz again now that we have a bona fide QB delivering the ball. It’s a far cry from Fitz being targeted 15 times in a game and coming up with only 3 catches because the throws were so God-awful…And, finally, Jeff King!!! Scores by the TE in consecutive weeks??? Where are we, New England??? Again, I credit Kolb for this as much as anyone else but it’s still GREAT to see the TE getting open for big plays. This King thing is working! Hope to see this continue.

42. By GW on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

what a tough loss but in order to ge to the next level these are the games you must win its still early 14 games left i think the coaching staff need to look at the last 2 games and make some changes on both sides of the ball.Kolb was hit too many times and beanie did not get enough carries.coach whiz i know there is some loyalty to some of your former (steelers) but its time to start some new players (schofield) and a-dub on pass situation blitz or move to lb and put a cover db in the back. just my opinon. now lets dominate the seahawks on sun. Go CARDS!

43. By Tx Cards fan on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

Thanks for setting me strait I was listen to the game on the radio so I got that part mixed up. Like I said we all just want Cardinal W’s. I can say it is nice to see that at least the Cardinals have a running game that can move the ball when called upon.

44. By tyman on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

we are still 1-1 and thats good so far for the NFC west, this week is a much bigger game coming up than last weeks.

45. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Tx Cards —

RE: Beanie choice

That’s cool. You’ve inspired me to write a blog post about it (and trust me, you’re not the only one to bring it up). ;)

46. By Richard S. on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

On defense, a Redskins writer said on the last Redskin touchdown pass, the Skins had 3 receivers wide open and it was the Quarterbacks choice whether he wanted a first down or a touchdown. On offense, I think we need to go for the jugular when we get the lead. 8 point lead – the heck with taking time off the clock, let’s try to score again. My old high school basketball coach, the winningest coach in Missouri over a 10 year period had a put the nail in the coffin play to end the game. He wouldn’t stall. He’d make the defense come up on you because they had to as they would lose if they didn’t, then he’d call timeout with the ball at midcourt. Then the guy with the ball would pop the ball, 3 guys would break back, one guy would break forward and screen the man guarding the man throwing the ball in. The guy would throw the ball in and head for the basket taking in the touchdown pass along the way from one of the 3 guys breaking backward.

47. By georgiebird on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

I hate to be repetitive with you about the defense. But history repeating itself makes the Cardinal situation so crystal clear to me.
    As each game goes by, I’m sure we can agree that Kurt Warner got the Cardinals to the SB in probably one of the great QB seasons of all-time.
    There’s very little that Whiz does in game management or player development that leads anyone to believe he’s even a good head coach.
    Whiz’ stubborn demeanor reminds me of head guys like LaRussa, Parcells and Knight but- unlike those guys- Whiz doesn’t have the resume to match.
    The 3-4, hiring a novice DC, playing Haggans, Wilson and Porter- I just wonder how long Whiz can fool the Bidwills- but then again the Bidwill’s may be part of the problem.
    Without Warner, Whiz would have been gone already.

48. By georgiebird on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Some people may be getting the wrong view of the Seattle game.
    Some obvious facts to consider:
    1) Seattle lost at SF and Pitts- two of the toughest home defenses in the NFL
    2) Seattle’s finally playing a home game
    3) Cardinals have not played good teams
    4) divisional game
    For all those who expected the Cardinals to be 2-1 or 3-0, this no gimmee.
    It’s time for the Cardinals to step up with an “A” type game-no excuses.

49. By wnycardfan on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

I know nothing I say here means much, but you guys are the only ones I know that care about the cards like I do, so I vent/praise here. I hate to say it, but while I think the cards look better than last year, esp on OFF, I think pretty much they are still a work in progress and we won’t see a great season this year. Like someone else said, seahawks may seem like an easy win, but sometimes with the cards, you never know, we could get blown out. Def seems like they are brand new and don’t have a ton of talent, despite some great plays. Consistency is key and they need to learn more and execute more. OL looks horrible and has me really worried about KOLB health. I’m crossing my fingers that this IS only game 2 and they’ll get better…….

50. By Phoenixraven1 on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

In your opinion why aren’t we seeing more of Schofield and less of Porter?

51. By Chuck 1 on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

By Darren in response to georgibird: “You have every right to complain about the defense, and say it’s been terrible under Whisenhunt. That’s fair.”

Right on, Darren. That’s what many of the fans have been writing.

And, the defense isn’t going to get any better because Graves and Whiz have the players that they want and no matter what scheme Horton comes up with, he can’t hide the players’ deficiencies.

52. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Darren, what the biggest team deficiency last team and IYO was it corrected?

And who said you can’t hit a ref by “accident” and not get flagged?

That’s two weeks in a row with questionable officiating.

53. By mickey on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

why cant the defense get it together. we finally have an offense, but the defense keeps losing games for us?

54. By Breadfather on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

I did not read all of the comments (I don’t get paid too like you do ;-) What is the deal with the penalties? Every year since Whiz has been here (and before) it seems like the cards are one of the most penalized teams in the league. They keep talking about how they are going to hold players accountable and that if they keep getting penalties they are not going to play, yet here we are. What can be done and what should be done in your opinion? I cant seem to get a decent answer on this question from anyone. I have no facts to back up this belief of mine and I have done zero research, but I am tire of seeing the yellow come out and the officials hand point to the Cardinals side of the field. Especially when it is followed by a “False start #75 offense.” or “Holding # 75 offense.” HELP!

55. By DirtybirD on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, when are the Cardinals going to start using their tight ends to their advantage? Jeff King has been a plus so far but what about Todd Heap? I thought for sure he would be on the field more often. Have you heard anything on Todd Heap becoming more involved on Sundays?

56. By Born n Bred on Sep 19, 2011 | Reply

Just make Beanie Wells and running the “Focus” of this offense from the start of games and through out. Its almost crazy to hear that just last week hightower got a career high in carries at 25. With us i dunno but maybe 20-21. Opening week Beanie was getting the ball, but circustaces i could see maybe preventing more carries for him and he got 18 and his career high is what? 21-22 i dunno. I just want to see the run game finally and our line obviously run blocks better than pass pro.

57. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Phoenixraven —

RE: Schofield/Porter

Because at this point they trust Porter more.

58. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Deficiency/flag

I think QB was the biggest problem and it was fixed. Pass rush was second, and it has not yet been.

As for the Rhodes penalty, big difference between hitting an official during a play and swinging your arms around during a scuffle and accidentally touching the official.

59. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Breadfather —

RE: Penalties

They say they will fix it. I’d have to look at the statistics; they are up there, but at the same time, the NFL basically admitted last week, for instance, that two 15-yard penalties (the Marshall and Haggans PFs on Cam Newton) shouldn’t have been called. You can say you will hold players accountable, but what are you going to do, put in backups that are backups for a reason?

60. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

DirtybirD —

RE: Heap

No, I have not.

61. By KB on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

We very badly need an upgrade at left tackle. Cards cannot consistently pass block, esp in pressure situations. Kolb is not going to last even half the year if he continues to get hit by unimpeded blitzers. Our run blocking is decent, making Whiz’s refusal to run all the more baffling. Three runs in the first half is inexcusable.

62. By pipapiko on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Cards could sure use DRC right about now! Even as a rookie DRC was shinning one on one with the top receivers in the game! Why could’nt we have DRC and Peterson? Kolb is a joke and even Kurt Warner said so himself. I know the O-line is not that great, but you have to help yourself and the tackles by stepping into the pocket no matter what! Kolb has not done anything special that 25 free-agent qb’s out there can do. And keep DRC and let him have his own island and have the safety’s and db’s help Peterson. Because DRC is proven!!! Wisenhunt and Graves need to get fired! The Cards will never win those close games b/c he quit frankly SUX! Look at the Super bowl run year? We had Todd Haley which is an offensive beast! And Bill Davis was really good! He can’t help the fact that his safety # 47 choked in his prevent defense.

63. By APCARDS on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Sorry-wanted to clarify, I meant a post-game TV program, not just radio.

Thanks for the M. Adams info! I think we shoudl let him play more,however!
    Thanks!

64. By joelz on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

watched game again and again the refs were out for the Cards, Im begining to feal that some where down the road cards ticked off the refs org and now they look for opps to damage Reds drives and stops. Whiz best HC Cards ever had! Blame falls on the captain but the faults fall on the Men. I give Horton 2 more games, 3-1 we GOOD, 2-2 we Struggle. 1-3 we SUCK. Always felt first 4 games lead you into the season and a evaluation around week 12 closses it up. Come on Cards D!!!! Hope Kolb doesnt loose trust in his Line, cuz they let him get clobbered last Sunday. 60mill being carelessly protected!!!

65. By cards62 on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Darren

I agree with Georgiebird that there are no gimmies in the NFL and Seattle will be a tough game especially with Seattle playing at home. I did have our Cardinals starting the season at 4-0 primarily based upon our schedule, but also because of Kobb, Heap, Beanie, Fitz and Horton as DC and what I was seeing in the preseason out of DD and CC, Washington, and our young secondary.

I disagree with Georgiebird that Carolina and Washington are not good teams. They are not great teams, but they are both good teams and we were competitive.
    Pittsburg look like crap against the Ravens and then the Ravens look bad against the TItans. As long as you have a decent QB you are a dangerous team.

NFL is tough and there are a lot of good teams, but I feel with our offense if we coach well especially play calling we will be competitive all season, but I am most worried now about our defense and especially DD and CC and Dan WIlliams. Are you seeing anything Darren out of our front line to make me feel better like I did in the preseason?

Thank you for all your great articles and all you do on this site.

Go Cards beat Seahawks

66. By CNelson on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

pipapiko and all the other people that want to bash people and scheams coaches, owners and who ever they think is to blame

We HAD ZERO offseason prep. IF you wanna say “training camp” ill call you the biggest moron in the world for critizing our team, inside and out. We have a NEW QB (Who btw is better than you could be in Madden on rookie level with brady pipapiko) new TEs, WRs, LBS and CBs Not to mention the fact we are installing a BRAND NEW Defence. To believe that we should be Green bay on offence and Jets/Steelers/Ravins on defence are living in a fantisy world! I say we will have a up and down year, some realy good times and some realy bad times, but yet our coaches and players arnt going anywhere except to the Offseason work next year with new and Upgraded peices on defence. Whiz is the best think that has happend to our team sence they moved to the desert, Ray Horton will be the best D-Coordinator we have ever had, and be hear for years to come if he so choises.

I cannot believe some of you call yourselfs Cardinals fans,.. seam to me you are all more like haters of this team that pretend to be fans so that you can post horiffic and unjustifyed comments on our page to frustrate our fans and the best team reporter/blogger in the NFL. I say you all should be ashamed of your selfs and stop posting sutch unjustifyed dribble just because you feel you deserve the attention from Darren!

P.S. IF ANY OF YOU HAD ANY IDEA WHAT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT YOU WOULD HAVE A JOB IN THE NFL AND NOT SLAMMING A TEAM THAT IS RETOOLING THE PARTS THAT NEED FIXING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

67. By Scott H on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

pipapiko –

What the hell are you / have you been watching??? You said so many idiotic things, I don’t even know where to start…first, you may not like Kolb but what do you possibly have to complain about so far? After an abbreviated off-season with a new team/new system/new teammates, the man has thrown for close to 600 yards, 5 TD’s and 1 INT. Ya know what, dude? Go route for one of those 25 FA QB’s you claim can do just as well. With a mind like yours’, it’s amazing you don’t have a front office job in the NFL, I swear.

Idiotic statement #2 – “Bill Davis was really good!” Um….yeah. You obviously missed the entire 2010 season, so I won’t hold that against you. Go back and watch those games and then come back for the make-up exam on this one. Maybe then you’ll know what you’re talking about.

And, really, have you seen what DRC is doing so far in Philly? It’s really not that impressive.

To return to Kolb and your comment that he needs to help himself and the tackles by stepping up into the pocket no matter what…did ya happen to see him getting his helmet knocked clean off while standing in the pocket as he delivered a perfect strike to Fitz for a 73-yard TD? No? Missed that one, did ya? Maybe after you watch the games from last year, you can take a look at the games they’ve played this year, too. Seriously. You sound like you have NO CLUE what you are talking about.

68. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Papapiko

This person has some unresolved Deuce Lutui vs. the Cards issues/anger and it has definitely leaked out across the team.

69. By clssylssy on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

CNelson:
    Thank you for echoing what I have been saying all along! We’ve had two games, are 1:1, look better than we’ve looked in awhile and what a bunch of insufferable whiners! Redskins fans were pretty impressed and surprised about our showing on Sunday. Seems like it’s easier to gripe about our defense than to look at the positives. I keep hearing “fans” gripe about Adub however, I believe it was Wilson who stepped up @ 3rd & goal and intercepted Rex Grossman in the end zone to keep the Skins off the scoreboard in the first drive of the game. Obviously, there are a lot of “fans” who weren’t keeping up in the off season. Looking at the stats the skins should have won by a large margin but holding them to 1 point says a lot.
    Give these guys a chance to jell as a team. I think they are looking pretty impressive, certainly much better than last year! I keep hearing how certain fans have “supported the Cards for fifty years”–must be referring to the baseball team because our football team’s fanbase was laughable until we got the stadium. SUPPORT OUR CARDS!

70. By cooldaddy79 on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

Man, i dont’ know what you guys are seeing but that defense played outstanding, the offense line is the problem, not allowoing anytime for defese to recoup.What are you guys talking about.Compared to last year this defense will only improve,,geez its only the second game!

71. By Breadfather on Sep 20, 2011 | Reply

PIPAPIKO-

ummmmmm……I don’t even know what to say other than you need to rewatch both games. Kolb has been very solid. If Cam had not lit up the secondary then the talk of the game nationally would have been how good Kolb played. Sure he threw a pick last week so I guess we should just cut him. You say that you could find 25 other free agent QBs to do the same thing that he is doing? Tell that to all the REAL Cardinal fans who saw what one of those “free agents” did for us last year. WOW!!!!

72. By Nick Pepe on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

ScottH
    Why give him (papapiko) the satisfaction? Someone that puts out negative comments that has no merit is just looking for attention.

Clssy- always look forward to your posts! A voice with reason!!
    Enjoy the rest of your week everyone, then its time to go Hawk hunting!!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

73. By cards62 on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Cooldaddy79 What are we seeing? We are seeing the Redskin’s punter on the sidelines eating a couple of hot dogs and drinking a coke as he did not punt the entire first half or fourth quarter. He did punt twice in the 3rd quarter which is when we took the lead.

I agree our offense is not perfect and the play calling could be better, so much better, but for 2 games I see our defense as being priority #1.

Once again early start, eastern time zone, and our guys were not ready to play.
    My biggest fear before the game and sure enough happens yet again.

Cooldaddy79 Darren did not see my question so I will ask you. It was limited but I really liked what I was seeing out of DD and CC in the preseason, but through 2 games I am not seeing much of anything from DD, CC and Dan WIlliams. What are you seeing or other Cardinal fans seeing from these 3 that will give me hope for the rest of the season?

C.Nelson and Clssylady we ae all not haters and negative, but we do push and want more. We all agree that the 2011 Cardinals are much better than the 2010 Cardinals but the 2010 bar was so low it is still sinking in quicksand. I had the Cardinals starting the year 4-0 and the haters could have lashed me with kool aid moron labels, but most of them like me were/are positive and hoping for the best. There are a couple of haters on here who will never be happy, but most of us who are critical know that the Cardinals will be in the hunt this year because our front office and coach traded for a real QB this year and our schedule is favorable and our division is weak compared to others, but most teams in the NFL are tough and not easy to win so we must coach well and play well.

We will give Horton time, but we would like to see more from the defense. I love A. WIlson over 20 sacks and 20 interceptions, but when the other team has to pass and if Horton does not plan on blitzing him I pray he is on the sidelines now. He is just killing our pass defense last year and this year.

Go Cards beat Seahawks

74. By pipapiko on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

ScottH, Breadfather, Darren-

You guys are all clowns, and for you Darren I have no Deuce Lutui issues with the team. If they start Deuce he can help the o-line big time! Plus Darren your such a clown I’m surprised Deuce hasn’t knocked your monkey ass out! I bet when you see him in person you can’t even look him in his eyes. You all complain about no off-season pleeeeeease! These men are professionals and they are trained to keep themselves in shape and all that good stuff! Darren there was never anything leaked from the locker room, it’s just that i”m a student of this great game and the business side of it. I’m just a random citizen calling out the cards on all there BS move’s that was going to happen regardless! Patriots didn’t have a off-season! And 31 other teams, so stop crying about the cards not having an off-season! If the cards could just keep players like other great teams, which is how you build a championship caliber franchise! What good is it to pay a man 120 mil and 63 mil, and not have other important pieces to support them???

75. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Pipapiko —

RE: Deuce

Why would Deuce knock me out? Please inform me.

76. By Nick Pepe on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Pap-
    You have serious, deep, dark issues. I am not sure why Darren even bothered responding to such a ridiculous post.
    Thank being said, no one keeps everyone, as a “student” of the game you should know that.
    The good news is there are probably a couple GM spots open at the end of the year that you could apply for, and you can show off your expertise for all the world to see.
    Meanwhile, stick your negativity up your keister. As I said before, you are in need of attention. My advice: tie a pork chop around neck, maybe your dog will pay attention to you.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime member who is happy with our staff!

77. By Scott H on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Darren & Nick Pepe –

RE: pipapiko

No further explanation needed. I see what you mean. And, yes, I fully support getting this idiot a front office job with the Rams, 49ers, or Seahawks!

78. By Nick Pepe on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Scott #1) it’s an honor to be included in a reply along with Darren, thanks. #2) Pap just proves that “they” are out there everywhere, disuidlsed as normal human beings. So be careful !!!

Nick Pepe
    With a heavy heart.

79. By pipapiko on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Hahahahahaha…. What a bunch of clowns! Darren your such a puppet! Don’t ever let me catch you in public or I’ll slap the s*** out of you myself!

80. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Pipa —

RE: Threat

Hmmm. Well, I’m not hard to find.

By the way, you didn’t answer my question: Why would Deuce want to hit me?

81. By pipapiko on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Darren I’m sure everyone in the locker room would like to smack you upside your head one time!

82. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Pipa —

Stunning logic as always.