Practice squad pick, Dockett’s life, Wright’s work

Posted by Darren Urban on September 21, 2011 – 9:28 am

To follow up on the Cardinals’ roster moves from yesterday, the team filled its empty practice squad spot this morning by signing safety Mark LeGree to the practice squad. LeGree was a fifth-round pick of the Seahawks — coincidentally, the Cards’ opponent this week — before being cut at the end of training camp. LeGree played at Appalachian State (a friend who is also an alum likes to needle me by calling it the “real ASU”) and had 22 interceptions over four seasons and 53 games.

– In the meantime, while the Cards get back to the practice field later, here are a couple of Cards-related links. One comes from ESPN, after the network did a very nice video piece on their NFL Sunday Countdown show about the upbringing of defensive tackle Darnell Dockett, which explains a lot about his personality. (Once, I wrote a similar story, when Darnell was a rookie. I forgot he originally wore the No. 61. Here is the story — sorry I couldn’t get it in one pdf — part one, part two, and part three).

– Dockett’s story is one of a kind, but so too is the tale of recently retired running back Jason Wright, who I already knew was kind of an amazing person but I didn’t know how much until I read this Sean Jensen Yahoo story. I wish Wright was still on the team — I am sure the Cards do too — but it’s hard to argue against seeing the bigger picture. It will never get the same kind of publicity as Pat Tillman — and certainly, Wright is not putting his life on the line like Pat did — but in some ways, Wright walking away is similar to the choice Tillman once made.

Tags: , , ,

24 Responses to “Practice squad pick, Dockett’s life, Wright’s work”

1. By Dynosoar on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Roy Green was a childhood hero of mine. So were Ottis Anderson, Mel Gray and Jim Hart.

I even marked the back of my Cardinal football helmet, at age 10 or so, with the number 32. It’s still there. Ottis Anderson still holds the franchise record for most yards rushing and the four highest rushing seasons.

For the oldest team in the NFL, that says a lot about #32.

Now I have new Cardinal greats to follow. (Though now my heros are G. Washington, J. Maddison, J. Talmage, my grandfather and those who see a bigger picture like K. Warner and J. Wright.)

Larry Fitzgerald just tied Roy Green’s record for most franchise touchdowns and will surpass him next week against the Seahawks. (I’m old like a dinosaur and I appreciate the respect those on this site show our opponents by calling them by their proper names. What can I say, that’s the generation I grew up in.)

Way to go Larry! We have a great team and I believe. (The cool thing, I’m in good company, because Larry Fitzgerald believes as well.) And if I could drink Cool Aid, it wouldn’t be the Cardinal kind; it’d be Mountain Berry Punch.

Indy, here we come!

2. By Dynosoar on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Will you pass this along to whomever’s in charge of the sites franchise records page. It could use updating.

For example, Larry Fitzgerald is still listed with 46 career touchdowns. It looks like it’s not been updated since our Super Bowl run in 2009.

Thanks for pulling up and linking some past posts about Docket.

How close is Adrian Wilson to the 30-30 club? Perhaps a story or blog about how elite he really is would be appropriate. Not many in the 20-20 club, and he’ll be in the 30-30 club soon. Last weeks interception just took him a step closer and that with a torn bicep. Amazing.

We’ve simply got incredible players all around and we’ll put it together. Here’s to sweeping the Division this year and on to Indy.

3. By mark on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

~~DARNELL DOCKETT~~

YO MAN KEEP BEING GREAT RIP TO YOUR MOM AND DAD I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL CUZ MY FATHER WAS MURDER AND I NEVER KEPT IN TOUCH WIT MY MOMS SO I HAD NOBODY EITHER SO YOU KEEP BEING A GREAT HUMAN BEING AND DESTORYING ON THAT FIELD HOMIE

4. By TucsonTim on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the link on Jason Wright. I wondered what had happened to him

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Dynosaur —

RE: Wilson

Wilson has 22.5 sacks and 26 interceptions.

6. By georgiebird on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

My least favorite Cardinal was Ottis Anderson. He was a great talent who had a great opening game. However, as the years went on he became a quitter and began falling down,-it seemed- before he got hit. Because of nagging injuries, he was replaced by Stump Mitchell in the mid-80s.
    Finally traded to the Giants, he regained his zest for the game and played in two SBs.
    Watching Anderson play for the Giants was like 1979 all over again. While he didn’t have long runs with the Giants, he was a ferocious runner who never fumbled.
    While Anderson took a physical beating carrying the ball for the Cards, anyone could see his effort was much less than 100%. The Giants proved that one man’s garbage is another man’s gold.

7. By john on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Jason Wright is truly a SAINT…not the N.O. kind! God Bless.

8. By MIKE G on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren – Did you see the end of the Monday Night game!! What are your thoughts on some of the players in that Rams-Giants game faking injuries to slow down the offense. Some see this as a smart move to try to get some rest for the defense and slow down the momentum of the offense and others might see it as a blow which hurts the image of the NFL. Do you think the defense should be penalized for this???? Some sort of delay of game???
    Faking injury??? new rule???

9. By Dynosoar on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Just read the links about Darnell Dockett. I knew about his Mother and Father, didn’t know about his Uncle’s impact though.

Brings to mind the words of Goethe,

“Treat a man as he is and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he can become and he will become that man.”

Obviously Darnell has always been a grand caring individual and his Uncle saw that. More than just saw it, he acted upon what he saw. He also saw a disciplined individual (you don’t get arms like his without discipline.)

Now Dockett is in a position to bring out the best in others and be like his Uncle. (Just don’t begin bringing out the best in opposing quarterbacks. Keep the bullying part of your past for them, at least on the field.)

10. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Sounds like Jasons wife threatened to leave him if he didnt back out of football

11. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Injuries

I don’t know how you would enforce it.

12. By MIKE G on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Nice Card’s Underground!!! Where’s Wolf???
    You guys were right on. I saw ESPN just did a piece on this and I thought about this the other day. I think this is the year Dan Marino’s 5000 yard single season record will be broken. In this so far crazy NFL year — I think multiple players can break this record! What does that say about this league!! 300 yard games are becoming a standard day for a QB on Sunday. What do you think??? Is it possible???
    Brady, Breez, Rivers 6000 yards???

13. By johnny on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren. Could you please tell me how Kerry Rhodes got his nickname Spider. Thank you.

go Cards!

14. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Johnny —

RE: Rhodes

I would have to ask him.

15. By cards62 on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I remember thinking he was very young to retire, but you have to be proud and hope the best for Jason Wright and his family as they do it right. A nice example for the rest of us and actually something good that came from Cleveland.

Good luck to you Mark LeGree as you pursue your dreams of playing in the NFL.

What a draft that was FItzgerald, Dansby, and Dockett, and it was not a good year for the draft. We received better play from our 2nd and 3rd round picks than most teams received from their first round picks that year. I sure wish we could repeat the magic from that draft.

Go Cards beat Seahawks

16. By ross on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Darren, good stuff as always.

17. By sport245245 on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Why can’t Steven Williams get one the field. I know he played last year, but everyone of the wideouts has played except him. What do you hear.Thanks

18. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for passing on the Wright story, Darren.

Excuse me, I think I have something in my eye.

19. By shannon robinson on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

Georgiebird – I don’t think you were watching the same guy or team; saying O Anderson was a quitter is ludicrous, those are fighting words bud; or sorry, you just don’t know football maybe. He’s one of the great runners the Cards have ever put on the field – tough as nails getting the extra yard and running over people. Unbelievable!

20. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

sport24545 —

RE: S Williams

Stephen is still a raw work-in-progress. And with the emergence of the tight ends, it’s going to be even harder to get playing time.

21. By Eric on Sep 21, 2011 | Reply

I’m gonna have to agree with Shannon this time. Wow.

22. By Chris Waldrop on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

As another “real ASU” grad, I am happy to hear this news.

23. By R Robles on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren tell Darnell Thanks for letting us in his past life & we got nothing but Love for him. Nine Oh!

24. By dre 1368 on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

d i remember reading about this when it first came out about dd back in 04 i always like your articles on the east valley. we used to get people selling the paper at our house for schools. i would love to see dd get the pressure off him from the other teams no more tag teams so he can be the monster he is just like the super bowl one more sack would of been the end of the game and his name would be there till some one broke his record. good work d