Beanie added to injury report

Posted by Darren Urban on September 22, 2011 – 2:34 pm

Running back Beanie Wells was added to the injury report today, listed as limited because of a hamstring problem apparently suffered today. The injury report just came out, long after locker room access and coach Ken Whisenhunt’s meeting with the media, so there won’t be any further info. Certainly tomorrow figures to be an important day for Wells, who has been playing so well in the first couple of games.

Any injury issue with Wells, whether it keeps him out of a game or not, has to give the Cards pause. That’s why the season-ending injury to rookie Ryan Williams was such a blow. Veteran Chester Taylor had just one carry last week in his first game as a Card (it went for no gain). I am still curious to see Alfonso Smith get a chance in a game that counts. Running back LaRod Stephens-Howling (hand) is still limited.

Wells wasn’t the only player added to the injury list. Linebacker Joey Porter showed up with a knee issue, limiting his work. On the flip side, Daryl Washington did some limited work for the first time since hurting his calf in the season opener.

Wide receiver Chansi Stuckey (hamstring) and tight end Jim Dray (pectoral) each had to sit out practice. For the full injury report, click here.

Tags: , , , , ,

53 Responses to “Beanie added to injury report”

1. By CNelson on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Dam dam, double dam!!!

Hpoefuly its just a minor hammy injury,

Darren, thx for the updates!!

2. By scaroth on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

get well soon beanie!!!

3. By Superfuzz on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Darren – I know you don’t know a lot about the status and nature of the injury, but do you think given our lack of depth at that position, that Whiz just gives him the rest of the week off until Sunday?

4. By APCARDS on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

I hope it is minor! We need Beanie! I hope our other RB’s can step up too!
    Go Cards!!!!!! Thanks for the info.

5. By Joe Holst on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Don’t overlook Seatlle, the last time they faced Travarious Jackson he was 11 for 17 with 4 touchdown passes and they lost 30-14.

6. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Superfuzz —

RE: Wells off

I don’t know. There is a fine line between resting and not practicing enough. They won’t be stupid with it, that’s for sure.

7. By georgiebird on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Let us fans not go overboard on Beanie’s hamstring. I’d be more concerned if
    Beanie didn’t warm up properly.
    Last week the Cards ran BW three times in the 1st half for 6 yards almost a non-contributor. The back-up guys are still professionals.
    The question this week is “can the Cards defense stop another non-elite QB?”
    If the answer is “No”- does it really matter if Beanie plays. Seattle is one of the toughest places to put up big rushing totals.
    It bugs me the way Cardinals’ fans get so defeated by injuries.
    The Cardinals are a relatively healthy team. On Monday night the injury decimated Giants beat up the Rams (another “soft” team like the Cardinals).
    Playing at full strength is for Fantasy League teams.

8. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Joe Holst —

RE: T-Jack

He also had Adrian Peterson in the backfield and a much better defense to lean upon.

9. By josh on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

man i hope you get better soon beanie hope you can play against seahawks. man i have beanie on fantasyfootball.keep the news up darren.

10. By josh on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

get well beanie. hope its nothin please please please please please please be good

11. By Rich on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

sounds like alot of two tight end sets on Sunday – short passing game to move the chains…..in lieu of alot of running.

12. By CardsFan on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Darren–

Hopefully it’s not a big deal, however if it is, I think it would be smarter to sit him & not bring any further aggravation to the Hamstring especially seeing how productive Beanie has been!!!! Arian Foster is a great example!!! I believe Taylor LSH & Smith would do just fine back there. What are your thoughts

13. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

CardsFan —

RE: Sitting Beanie

I have no idea the extent of the injury, so I really couldn’t say.

14. By josh on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

let go beanie lets go

15. By jambad on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

@Rich, couldnt agree more. Let Kolb go out of the spread with Taylor and Smith taking draws or dump passes. Would love to see the Receivers get into the action early and often to bury the Seahags early.

16. By georgiebird on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Enjoyed your article on Larry and Roy Green. It was real good to hear the nice words that Larry had for Roy. I just think of the money Larry is making (and he deserves it) and the paltry amounts that Roy made some 25 years ago.
    While Roy had a relatively short career, I can tell you, with a straight face, that Roy Green, at his best, was better than Jerry Rice. I saw them both play, and when you look at supporting casts and team exposure, Roy Green does not get his just due.

17. By cardsalltheway on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

I’ll be benching Beanie on my Fantasy team. Just because he’s now “all good” doesn’t mean he’ll get the ball. I’ll add Mike Williams(WR) from Seattle to my team since he has a history of burning the Cards secondary.

18. By TucsonTim on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Time for Alfonso to step up. It’s hard to tell on TV, but he looked full speed in Washington. Is he still on the injury report?

19. By Joe Holst on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

I can’t wait to see Ryan Williams play next year, he reminds me of a young Ricky williams when I saw him in exhibition..Who is going to cover MIKe Williams Sunday, he torched them last year?

20. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Tucson —

RE: Alfonso

He is healthy. Wells and LaRod are the only backs on the injury list.

21. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Joe —

RE: Mike Williams

I don’t know who will cover him. But it’s a totally different defense. And it’s a different Seattle QB.

22. By Scott H on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Honestly, Darren, I don’t see how this piece could possibly NOT contain the name Tim Hightower. For me ( and maybe only me, for all I know ), trading him away was a much bigger blow for this team that the pre-season injury to Ryan Williams. Williams may or may not have been dynamic player, he may or may not have made a significant contribution this year. Fact is, we don’t know what he was going to be. But we know for sure how rock-solid TH was and what we could count on from him. Among other things, he was as durable as they come. He was very good at catching passes out of the backfield, and he was the BEST of any of our RB’s at blitz pick-ups. For his all-around versatlity, he was quite an asset. And I believe we would be a better team with him here.

23. By STANG on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Beanie i see why they call him a little kids name he gets alittle hurtie and he has to go home and let mommy kiss it better poor lil guy , come back and play with the big boys soon lil beanie

24. By cards62 on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Will not get too excited yet, but with no Tim we really need Beanie. I really like the way he is running the ball this year reminds me of his days in college. I really want us to run the ball Sunday and keep Seattle’s offense on the sidelines.

Seattle at 1-2 in the NFC West know they still have a season to play for, but starting 0-3 with losses to 49ers and Cardinals will be devastating. Fellow fans we are going to get their best shot and Mike Williams did hurt us last year and I hear S. Rice is going to play for the first time this year, and he and Jackson have history.
    I was surprise Seattle went with Jackson as Pete Carroll is a very good judge of QBs and further proof of this is he did not want Matt Leinart.

Jackson my opinion is not a good QB or franchise QB, but neither is our pass rush so I am worried about this game. Pittsburg ran the ball well on Seattle and jumped on them and put them away without a fight so I am hoping our Beanie and OL can run well and do the same thing with Seattle. 2-1 is a lot better than 1-2 with our early schedule.

D. Washington we need you to so get well soon.

Darren thank you for your article on Sam Acho. I wish I could tell you that I have seen him make an impact in games, but I have not even noticed him in games. What a nice and bright young man Sam is. I will definitely be rooting for him even more.

Darren are we going to see a Housler sighting this game?

Go Cards best Seahawks

25. By LUKE on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

wow.i thought it would be at least week six before he got injured.geez.

26. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

cards62 —

RE: Housler

I do not know.

27. By ross on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Fans who make fun of his tendency to get nicked up–go out there and do what he does and see how long you last.

Beanie is a good guy-just bad luck.

28. By clssylssy on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

If it were just one major player it would be bad enough but look at the LONG list on the injured list and it makes me really nervous about this game. What’s the deal?
    Seems like we put away more of our players in practice than in real games? We looked good in our first game but a lot of those players are now injured! I am not for players playing injured like Clay Matthews did but really? Is there something our guys should be doing in the way of conditioning? The only way we can win the Division is to stay healthy and to me, that seems so elementary?? I’m dumbfounded!

29. By Matthew on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Darren, as of right now do you think Washington will be ready to go on sunday?

30. By BIG RED on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Your right about that, Georgiebird.

31. By We Missed Q on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Scott H, TH is gone, get over it, move on. If Williams did not get hurt he would have been cut by the season opener. Yes he was everything you said, he also had the highest fumble rate in the NFL, and sorry but if you can not hold on to the ball, NOTHING else matters.

32. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Matthew —

RE: D Washington

I have no idea. The fact he did some work today is a good sign, but it’ll be a game-day decision, I would guess.

33. By cards>niners on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

I have a bad feeling about this game….tarvaris is not going to beat us (knock on wood), however, this could easily be a game where the Seattle crowd causes the cardinals to beat themselves with stupid turnovers on special teams and offense. As bad as that feeling is I honestly can’t see the seahawks offensive line containing dockett and co….. dockett/campbell 3 sacks between them… daryl washington, if healthy, will have a sack… hopefully schofield will get in on the action also…if we lose this game it will be on the offense

34. By mikerata on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

if wells cant go who gets the carries?

35. By cardsalltheway on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

It goes down like this…Cards D=Fense gets to Seahawks No. 1 QB and he gets hurt. Whitehurst comes in and wins the game for the Seahawks by passing to Mike Williams time after time. Careful Cards, don’t hurt their No. 1

36. By Darren Urban on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

mikerata –

RE: Carries

I would assume Chester Taylor would play a much larger role.

37. By D on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

“trying not to bottom out”- good piece Darren
    8-8 season is probably what we should expect this year with the shorten offseason and many new players…if they can get a stud pass rusher in next year’s draft and maybe add another LB…add a off tacke in free agency or the draft — then I think next year will be the year to go far in the playoffs…

38. By Dewayne on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

I like the way he has played the last two games, but he is always getting hurt. He said he was just changing his tires, but i think he needs a bigger gas tank also. He had to go back to Ohio because he was homesick!!! BIG BABY!!! HIS GAME FACE IS FAKE! Your just another wasted first round pick. You won’t LAST THE SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beanie your a bum. To bad Ryan Williams got hurt. Now that kid had heart!!!!

39. By Dewayne on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

That’s right Beanie go back to Ohio! You couldn’t even get one yard for a touchdown in preseason. YOUR A BUM!

40. By georgiebird on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

It’s amazing how negative the comments have become- it’s probably coming from guys who have rooted for the Cardinals for 5-15 years and have seen a SBowl !!. Imagine the mind-set of guys-like myself-who have seen the same excuses and mistakes for 50 years.
    The Cardinals plight is easy to figure out. Look at the draft choices (defensive) over the past 4-5 years. These were guys who should be in their prime and making ProBowls. The lack of this “new blood” has left the team with players who have hit their plateau, are on the decline, or are playing with little improvement. Free Agency has brought us defensive retreads since management (correctly so) feels the West is winable.
    Fans now see every opponent capable of beating the Cards- and their fears are understandable.
    I agree with the recent moves for Kolb and the departure of DRC, Rolle, Dansby and even THT.
    One overwhelming fact to consider: no Cardinal HC has gone on to be a successful HC with another NFL team (except Coryell who was pirated away). But many, many players have gone on to be successful elsewhere.
    Are the Cardinals and the Bidwills beaten by the Peter Principle every time they hire a head coach?

41. By Dewayne on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

I hear Steve Nash is looking for work. Let’s sign him, suit him up. Maybe he can get us down the field. At least he plays all banged up! Beanie your a loser!

42. By drummer-1 on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

@ Dewayne

Why are you complaining about a preseason game that meant nothing…Fitz went bacl to Minn this offseason is he a baby also? I bet you wouldn’t last one snap in the nfl.

43. By Dewayne on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

Nothing? That’s the attitude some of these cardinal players have! This is the NFL Mr. Drummer! They are professionals who should play every snap like it’s for the winning touchdown for the Superbowl, preseason or not!! Beanie in my opinion is a can be a great player when he wants to be. He is a great example of a player who is here for a paycheck! Im sure he thinks he’s next for a big contract. Well guess what he don’t even deserve to wear a Cardinal’s jersey!!!!! If this team played with only half the heart Fitzgerald has, we would be 2-0! Players like Fitzgerald who want to bring s Championship to Arizona deserve time off. I truly believe you will never hear Fitzgerald say “IT MEANT NOTHING!” As far as im concerned you can join Beanie in Ohio at his it meant nothing tenderfoot club….. BOOM!!!

44. By josh on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

co on beanie please play dont listen to the other people please play

45. By Chuck 1 on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

By We Missed Q on Sep 22, 2011 | Reply

Scott H, TH is gone, get over it, move on.

To: We Missed Q,

If Scott H. should move on from Tim Hightower, why don’t you move on from (We Missed) Q???

46. By drummer-1 on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

@ Dewayne…

I take it you have NO football smarts at all.. Are you saying he’s faking his injury, just so he can get a paycheck without playing? idiot..

47. By clssylssy on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

REALLY BAD NEGATIVE ENERGY FROM THE FANS=BAD KARMA FOR THE CARDS!
    Why would anybody continue to follow a team for fifty years and do nothing but gripe and devalue the players and the organization?
    We have a decent start, better than many teams, and this is only game 3! Let’s get out there and do it! Don’t presume this is going to be a walk in the park but together we can GET’R’DONE! GO CARDS!

48. By Scott H on Sep 23, 2011 | Reply

Chuck 1 –

Damn, man, you took the words right out of my mouth! Exactly. He wants to call himself “We Missed Q” and he wants me to get over TH being gone…real intelligent. Then again, anyone who thinks TH was gonna be cut before the season started shouldn’t be counted on for brilliance.

49. By justn on Sep 24, 2011 | Reply

jeez jeez jeez, things are beginning to really suck in the 2011 season with injuries and cuts.

50. By joe67 on Sep 24, 2011 | Reply

DeWayne
    Your comments really don’t deserve a response from anyone, but I was just wondering how old you are? My guess is about 15.
    No player can play every down like its for the superbowl, and I believe no one does. Thats impossible.
    Did you ever have a “hammy”? Pretty damn hard to be effective, no matter how much you want to be.

2. Sep 23, 2011: Cardinals RB Wells not playing Sunday? | sportslocalnews.com