Seahawks aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on September 25, 2011 – 8:39 pm

It just felt, by the time the Cards got to the fourth quarter Sunday, that everything offensively was going to be so hard. Yes, they had the ball and yes, they moved it a little, but each play – even if it gained yards – didn’t seem to correspond with the effort that was going into it.

The quarterback took the brunt of the blame, and certainly, it wasn’t Kevin Kolb’s finest day. This was one you knew would come at some point, that hiccup because in all fairness he just hasn’t been in the offense long enough nor does he have the experience yet to overcome everything. You would wish it didn’t come in such a winnable game against a division foe.

“Sometimes I am trying to hold on to it a little too long, or get it out a little too quick,” Kolb said. “I am looking at myself right now and I think a lot of those mistakes (on offense) could be fixed if I just play right.”

I don’t think the absence of Beanie Wells can be understated. The Cardinals still could have and should have won even though Wells didn’t play. But that extra element of Wells, especially the way he had been running, I think would have impacted the offense’s ability to sustain drives. I don’t think the Cards would have failed on three third-and-1s – getting the first down on fourth down on the third – with Beanie.

But you get the defense playing better and the offense stalls. That’s how you end up with a 1-2 record and a getting-healthier Giants team coming to Arizona. Next Sunday just got that much more important.

– The no-huddle seemed to click – it was what the Cards were running when they had their long TD drive – but they never went back to it for a whole drive. Kolb said the Cards should use it going forward, but Larry Fitzgerald also added some perspective. “We felt good with it and moved the football,” Fitz said, “but we have to execute our base offense regardless. We don’t want to have to rely on that.”

– There were mistakes in running certain plays – coach Ken Whisenhunt didn’t say who was at fault – but the frustration overall was evident from center Lyle Sendlein. “We just have to score more than 10 points,” Sendlein said. “We can’t expect our defense to do everything. We have to finish drives, protect Kevin better, run the ball better. There’s a lot of things we need to do better.”

– Kicker Jay Feely sat in his locker waiting. He knew, after two missed field goals, we would have questions for him. He could have bailed – by the time Whisenhunt was done with his press conference and the locker room was open, Feely had long since dressed. But he stayed because he knew he should. That’s not easy after a tough day, and he should get props for that.

– Having Sidney Rice back for the Seahawks obviously helped them. He had eight catches for 109 yards and for most of the day, it felt like they were coming at the expense of cornerback A.J. Jefferson. The Cards got to QB Tarvaris Jackson most of the time and piled up some sacks, but Rice was his security blanket and, on what turned out to be the game-winning TD drive, Jackson had too much time to throw. That’s what happened on the biggest play of that drive, when Jackson had all day to throw on a third-and-15 and he was able to complete one for 20 yards. That was a killer.

OK, that’s enough. There was frustration in the locker room and I know there is frustration out there for those watching this team. Whisenhunt noted that he was up saying the same thing this week as he did last – it’s tough to watch a game slip away on the road when you think you should have won.

There is no question about that.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

100 Responses to “Seahawks aftermath”

1. By reap37 on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

C’mon Cards! Yes, we should have won and I admit to being angry about this one. BUT, this team is way too good SO please do NOT get down and start believing you can’t win. Not true!!! Come back next Sunday and kick some Giant butt!! Get on track and start winning as it’s the cure for all problems.

2. By APCards on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    Is there a link to the post-game press conference?
    Thanks!

3. By Jesse Robles on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

Ken should be questioning himself as a coach. He gets out coached week in and week out. His game planning is not working, never has. Todd Haley was lucky at one point. We got lucky on our ONLY TD on Sunday. SO Ugly.

4. By Nathan on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

This game was just awful to watch. Most importantly, on 3rd and 20 and you don’t bring pressure on T Jackson and have him make a quick decicison, are you kiddin me? I thought Horton was here to bring the blitz..The Defense was again horrible on the maintaining their gaps on run defense and left too many cutback lanes coupled with poor tackling. And our offense is just way too predictable, we need better play calling. And Kolb needs to dump it down and get some positive yards on those first down plays when he holds the ball forever. Missing two field goals is brutal but I’d let it slide with the wind. I’m done going to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch this team play…Get to 2-2 and we’ll talk.

5. By UK CARD on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

DISAPPOINTING!!

Thought we’d be 3 & 0, at this point! and after seeing GIANTS today, we’ll struggle next week too! Not looking good going forward, going to be tough! we need F.G;s and 4th Qtr play! LETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. By Riggs2136 on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

I am tired of hearing guys say “I know we made mistakes.. We’ve got to work harder…. I know we can do better”. Can you? It starting to seem like lip service. If you CAN do better, and work harder, why dont you? Its starting to seem like guys are getting too comfortable with saying “We screwed up and we’ll do better”. Stop saying it and do it. Saying it and not doing it doesnt make it better.

The play calling, especially on 3rd and long situations were horrid. 2 yard screen passes when you need 8 or more yards? Why? And why take 20 seconds off the clock at the end of the game with a circus act pass from Peterson? Sure, had it worked we would have all marveled at the play, but how often does something like that work outside of high school football?

Beanie tweeted before the game that he had his shoes laced up and his hard hat and lunch box and was ready to do work… How did that translate to not playing?

7. By Ryan on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

This is an below average team at best and would be only a 3-4 win team in a tougher division.

8. By Chuck 1 on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

7-9 at best. Probably 6-10 or even 5-11.

Hey, maybe we have a chance to get Luck.

And, I think that Fitz must be second guessing himself for signing a contract to stay with the Cards.

9. By Rocky on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren… this is starting to look and strangely feel like last year… Derrick Anderson is gone… we have our quarterback…we’ve named an offensive co-ordinator…but this still looks like a WHISENHUT OFFENSE… lets be real here.. we haven’t had any real offensive success since haley departed… if we have an OC why is whiz the one with the play card over his microphone.. if he wants to oc… get us a new coach..the seahawks are the worst team in the division… and we make them look superior… watch them against their first two opponents….their offense is awful.. but we cant outscore them… max hall is gone..Hightower is gone…boldin is gone… wiz is still here… will he ever be held accountable… for not being able to FIX his teams mistakes… or…I Know…. lets just get us another quarterback… we will find the right guy eventually.. man this really hurts a true life long cardinal fan… no matter how much talent you put on a roster… they must have a coach who understands his personnel and understand he is a COACH… NOT THE OFFENSIVE MASTERMIND HE THINKS HE IS,,, WHIZ…. YOUR EGO… Is KILLING THIS FRANCHISE…. WHO WILL YOU BLAME NOW?????

10. By BIG RED on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

Lets start Bartel this coming week against the Giants. We need points on the scoreboard. The defense is ok, we bend but dont break. Only 13 points, thats great, and all this fuzz about a great QB, cant even hit his receivers when there open. His playing like Anderson played last season. Get Fitz more involved in the game. Give Skelton and Bartel some playing time.

11. By Nate on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

I hope AZ does not take this to hart. The NFC west does not get the credit it deserves. The NFL Is balanced and the league rules in my opinion work. Give Seattle some credit. Last year they defeated the saints in the playoffs. The Lowly NFC west AZ cardinals, with undrafted rookie max hall as QB showed the saints what guts are worth in 2010. That said i feel like a healthy wells and a developing Williams would have made a big impact in this game.

12. By Paul H on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

Well I’m not going to jump in the Salt River just yet. That would hurt anyway with no water in it. With 13 games left a lot can happen. But now the team has to win a game down the road that most people were thinking they would lose. Almost have to win out the rest of their home games and look to beat SL, SF, MINN, CICNY on the road. Looking way way ahead though. Let’s start by beating Giants and get back on track.

13. By emm7777 on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

Darren, please clarify who is calling the plays. i thought it was Miller, but it looks like Whiz is doing it.

14. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

It was almost like a preseason game, which I guess you could argue, it was.
    Seemed no sense of urgency by the road team.

15. By Born n Bred on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

Congrats Fitz for a well deserved record.

Well that offense just did not find its rhythm for whatever reason. Kolb needs a bounce back game even though he didnt play horrible, it wasnt great. I dont know but if you had a clicker to count how many good games to bad games Levi Brown has had in his career. i think in my made up world the percentage shouldnt be in the 40’s.

D played better but their still way off from their potential. Keep focused and build success. Get Em

16. By swedler on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

17. By Mark on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

Thw sad part about this game is that it looks very simular to last year. Although I do like Kevin Kolb, this performance was very Derek Andersonesque. Good teams find ways to win close games and so far the 2011 cards are not a good team.

18. By Phoenixraven1 on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

This bites…

19. By Matthew on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

I’m sorry, but this was simply pathetic. I dont care how long this offense had to repair we faced a terrible seattle team, and this scares me for what is to come for this cardinal team. Especially since coming up we have a very very very difficult schedual. Plus adding the way that we played today i lost a lot of hope being we cant beat one of the worst teams in the NFL. What are we going to do when we face the steelers, ravens, rams, and eagles all in a row when we only put up 10 points against the useless seahawks? I have just lost all faith in the Cardinals, because its not just this year but every single year its the same stupid story. We always lose games that we should have easily won no matter what. There are no excuses for this loss, and im pretty sure that if this type of play keeps up we might as well just not even compete anymore, because today we took at least 10 steps back from where we were.

20. By DirtybirD on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

Levi Brown and Brandon Keith are the worst tackle combo in the NFL. The Seagulls ends punked the Cardinals tackles, period. Its the same ol song with those guys. The Defense played better but there was still too many missed tackles. Hey Darren, what is your biggest concern for the Cardinals going forward?

21. By Dave on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

First off, congrats to Fitz on the record. Truly a class act. Other than that, today’s performance was pretty pathetic. Very disappointed in the Cards so far. I know it’s early in the season, but our schedule doesn’t get easier. Looks like it’s gonna be a long tough year for Cards fans…. Sigh….

22. By darrel on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

no number 2 wr is hauting this team … wheres terrell owens

23. By Thrasher on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

Against Washington the cards have a healthy Beanie and only use him for 14 rushes last week.

Against Seattle the cards don’t have beanie and use a Smith/Taylor combination for 25 carries. So we rush the ball more when we have a weaker backfield situation?

I know we can say they were two different games and had so many short yardage situations but things just seem entirely backwards to me. Its frustrating and was hard to even try to watch that game.

24. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

That game completely sucked. It was agonizing to watch. But the defense is playing better and we did have a chance to win. Now if we can get a complete game out of the team, I think we will starting winning some of these tough games. We are only one game out of first place and if we can put it together at home this coming weekend, I’m sure we can beat the Giants.
    Go Cardinals !!!!

25. By Chris on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

I have been a cardinals fans since 1982.
    I have watched every game I could since then Daren, in fact I even predicted the team that made the Super bowl.
    Today loss was disappointing beyond words, because the offense seemed to be getting better every week.
    At the start of the year, I honestly Thought this was team going 10-6, 11-5 if Kolb had a pro bowl season.
    Last year I thought they would go 6-10 was close.
    I had them beating, The Redskins and Seahawks both games they should have won, but they found a way to lose.
    I understand Vick, had a rough day, as did Brady.
    I also understand The Super bowl team got blown out by the Patriots and it was a media joke at the time and they still made the big game.
    I know how wins and loses, can be blown out of context.
    That being said, if the Cardinals lose this next game to The Giants, they are done.
    Not trying to be negative, I just really hope the offense can step it up and play in the realm OF or better than it did the first two weeks.
    If they can do that, they will win.
    Coming off a loss like this, I for one will be extremely interesting in seeing how this team responds.

26. By John S on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

At least I haven’t heard the defense being blamed again which I have disagreed with all along. I think Beanie would have definitely changed the game, but without him we clearly see what the problem with this team is. They have no offense. NO OFFENSE. This team must be leading the league in 3 and outs easily. I was tweeting to you guys when is Whiz going stop wasting downs using Chester Taylor, then he finally took him out. A complete waste of about 5 serious of downs with that guy. They should replace him immediately because Beanie seems prone to injury about every 3 games. And this is no “hiccup” for Kevin Kolb. In 3 games he’s had a few lucky plays mostly with Fitz only because Fitz is the best WR there is. I think Kolb has stunk every game. Why is he only able to focus on one receiver? The announcers finally called it on one play saying how much he telegraphed the pass. They are constantly showing other receivers wide open but for some reason Kolb doesnt see it unless it was the play he intended. And again the play calling is mind boggling. Calling short screens which are very obvious to the defense that result in a 1 or 2 yard gain in long yardage situations?? I don’t know about anyone else but at half time I stopped having hope for this team for this season and I decided to do other things on a Sunday with the game on in the background. Its just not worth getting so frustrated and emotionally into these games to have the same thing happen over and over and over.

27. By cards>niners on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

all the hyperbole I have used in the past week while describing tarvaris jackson’s throwing accuracy seems a lot less funny when his team beats us.

28. By Logan on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

My two concerns and frustrations are this.

1. The time it takes for the passing plays to develop. Kolb is praying the whole time the line can hold up till the route is ready for him to throw the ball.

2. The in routes that are being caught at will. Rice had at least 60 of his yards on 10 yard in routes. To have those be successful on a consistent basis is so frustrating. I understand you don’t want to get beat deep but c’mon!

Dan Williams has to get a better push on the line to distrupt more run plays. The d-line seems like it’s getting pushed around. R. Marshall needs to move up to 2nd string CB.

Fonso smith was great today and was frustrated we didn’t go to him more often with the results he was producing.

Is it just me or are defenses catching on to the fitz corner post routes as much as I am? Trufant did.

29. By bluepitt on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Why not warner did it half of the time?

Our plays look like Popwarner plays? Why?
    Funny how the Sea Chickens were able to adjust to what the cards were doing (rolling Jackson out to pass) But we don’t seem to be able to do that or is it Whiz’s stubbornness in sticking to his game plan?

We throw the quick ball to fitz, and he gets clobbered!
    They throw the quick ball to Rice and there are 2 other players blocking for him?
    I just don’t get the calls or the play structure!
    We have so much motion going on I think we are screwing our own minds!
    Heap in the line, fitz steps back, Ducett goes in motion, heap steps up fitz steps back, smith steps up Ducett steps back! all in one play, then the play its self is stupid on 3rd and forever we do all that motion and fitz steps back while Kolb throws the quick ball to him …. WTF My Sundays wont be screwed any longer watching this Popwarner crap!!!!!! I will tune in on 92.3 for the game and go about my day! Even if I hate Wolf’s stupid nick names let alone his voice!!!!

30. By UC on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I told my wife at some point this was like watching a football game between Dumb and Dumber. At the time, I was referring to Seattle as the “Dumber”. However, when the game was over, my wife said she wasn’t sure which team was which.

But hey, the Cards made a huge leap in their percentage of offensive rushing plays called, raising their season average from 39% to…40%!!! (That is, as long as you round the 39.5% up). Yay!!!

But I can hear Kenny’s excuse now– “We couldn’t keep running the ball because the run wasn’t working.” And again, us non-professional coaches out in Cardinal fandom will have to point out that 1) rushing the ball works best when you stick with it, especially at the end of the game when the other defense has been pounded by it all game, and 2) that “not working” has never been a reason for Kenny to stop PASSING the ball.

With even halfway competent playcalling, I’m guessing the Cards could have scored in the neighborhood of 40 points and gotten an easy win. If Beanie had been playing, it could have been 50 points. Sure would be nice if Hightower was still around. But hey, who needs him, right?

After the game I put on my Cards t-shirt and wore it for the rest of the day, and would look at it whenever I needed a laugh. God, I sure hope at this point that Kenny’s days are being numbered by games and not seasons.

31. By Mario on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

This team is not very good. There is no other way to say it. They have all the talent a team could want…but the offense lacks anything that resembles execution. Big price tag….short on results.

32. By Eazy E on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Oooh, that one hurts bad. Kolb had his first regular season not so good game. He had 252 yards, 1 TD, and 2 INTs. It is early in the offense but ours was anemic today. We were missing beanie and the hyphen but we still should have trounced on seattle but should’ve, could’ve, would’ve. Alfonso did ok in his first real action and chester just got in a couple weeks ago. Fitz had a good game especially in the first half, but he needs help on the outside opposite him(T.O., Moss), once again comes to mind. Teams are putting 2 guys on him and you can’t always beat double teams. Andre isn’t beating single coverage often enough at all. Early had a few catches though. Heap had a good day after taking a huge hit early in the game. O-Line had its moments, but I don’t think as a whole including our ”tackles”, played very well. Defense balled out and had their first pretty good game in my opinion. Calais and Dockett got after the Tarvaris with 3 sacks combined. Joey also got on the board with a nice sack. We got pressure pretty consistently today even though darren, their were key plays where you would have liked them to get pressure on this specific play than any of them. Secondary played pretty well Ii thought. A.J. did get kinda picked on, but PP held Big Mike I think catchless. Kerry and Adrian were very aggressive and instinctive and made plays. Adrian almost had another interception, kinda went through his hands. Jay uncharacteristically missed 2 big field goals because the wind had an impact on them, but like he said, I expect to make them. The throwback from PP to A.J. was nice trickeration, but unfortunately couldn’t get us that much needed field position or even TD. Awwwwww, this one hurts, put it behind us, have the 24 hour rule, and on to the Giants game.

33. By tom on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

this loss has me really mad. get this jeffferson kid out of the game. ive been patient seeing as hes a rookie but hes getting lit up like a tiki torch. i mean come on! marshall is clearly better. jefferson is far too raw. i seriously cant believe we lost to the hawks. and wwe cannot run the ball without beanie. and im sorry but whiz’s playcalling to run the ball twice on 3rd and 1 iss mind blowing! they have had a great run d all year and have dominated the current game and you want to run the ball with an undrafted speed rb…. with how bad the schedule is this was not a game we could afford to lose. we should have won last week too. i still like where we are but dmn this type of stuff cant happen.

34. By Ham on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

In Whiz we trust???????? I dont think so!!!!! I would have to say this is a big loss against a sorry Seahawks team. Matter of fact I would say that we arent as good as I thought we would be just yet. Offensive line needs to get rid of Levi Brown and put someone in there that can protect our QB. The defense looks confused, still not getting the complex scheme of Horton’s playbook.

Look I am frustrated at this loss because we have a few of these games each year that we loose against teams that are not good teams. If we are gonna turn this around next week against the Giants, we need to play better on every aspect of the game. And Cardinals Offense PLEASE CONVERT ON 3RD DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Cards! ! ! ! !

35. By CORMAC on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

First off, let me say I like Kevin Kolb alot. He is a great quarterback, as was Kurt Warner. But….when Kurt did bad, coach took him out, and put Matt in and vice versa. Kurt rose to the challenge and then just took off from their. Its a fine line to walk to be sure, but maybe after awhile,,,,,,, of not being effective,,,,, put Bartel in for a drive or two? Perhaps Bartel would snatch up on a limited moment and light it up? Orrrrrr light a fire under Kolbs arse , which sometimes all of us need.

36. By NJAzCardsFan on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Darren- Was that pass play by PP to AJ on the kickoff at the end a designed play? It was something like we used to do in sandlot football?

Chester Talyor is slower then molasses in winter. They should never gotten rid of THT.

Something has to be done with the non-existent pass blocking.

It seems like that Cards gave up when the second half started.

Kolb should watch the films on Warner to see how Kurt had a much quicker release.

37. By havasu tom on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    Since we’ve kept Kolb in the pocket the last two games his numbers have dwindled. Go back to what he was doing the first game, get him moving a little more. Coach Whiz, I love you, but leave the play calling to someone else and manage the game.
    As for the D, bring back the blitz.

38. By Will on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Nothing about the grossly inadequate clock management at the close of the game (including that ridiculous lateral)? What about the fact that Sendlein came running off the field with his arms held out as if asking why the Cardinals chose to run a quick shovel pass when they needed less than a yard? Wells or not, if I’m going to get stopped I’d rather it be as a result of their big guys beating up our big guys, not that we out-coached ourselves.

39. By TucsonTim on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

The slipery slope just got a lot steeper.

40. By Nick Pepe on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

About those 3rd and 1’s….. At least two of them, possibly all 3 were 2nd and 1’s prior to 3rd down. And I had no problem with the play calling. Then one quick dump to Fitz on 2nd an 1, the corner made a solid play/tackle. Then came the failed run. It was more execution, IMO, then it was play calling. And the 3rd and longs that the D surrendered should just not happen. Mondays at work suck enough. They suck worse after a loss.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member with Monday morning blues!

41. By cardsalltheway on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

The fact is the Cardinal organization played up(big time) its draft/scouting and picking/scouting of free agents while the team has underperformed. Why I’m not sure, if I’m suppose to believe the team is as good as the organization says? But, who is to blame so far since things haven’t gone so well? The term ‘brainwashing’ was first introduced to the English language in the 1950’s.

42. By clssylssy on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I had a really bad feeling going into this game and only hope the team isn’t discouraged but rather motivated to win at home next week. I expect an onslaught of criticism from our so-called fan base and hope they will stiffle themselves and instead be a part of the solution. Certainly, what the Seahawks were lacking in deficiencies were made up for by the passion of their fans and a hunger by their team. Still, I look at our team as a work in progress and am excited at the direction we are going. I know that changes don’t happen overnight. Watching the Saints/Houston game I couldn’t remember if Rackers was another one we “let go” or what, and while it is mute, can you refresh me? We sure could have used a kicker yesterday! ONWARD! GO CARDS! YOU CAN BEAT THE GIANTS…WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

43. By D on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

With a 8-8 type of team, I expect games like this, Kolb will have a few games where he may miss an open WR or get happy feet…he’ll improve on those things…missing Beanie hurt, although Smith looks like a better backup than Taylor..defense showed good pressure in first half….excution of plays in second half was terrible…alot to do with DE Clemmons….some very bad play calling should not be overlooked either….

44. By TucsonTim on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

“Whisenhunt noted that he was up saying the same thing this week as he did last”

and the same thing after every loss

Rex Ryan’s Jets lose in Oakland and he takes responsibility for the game plan and the loss. As I have pointed out several times over the past couple years, Whiz always blames the players and their failure to execute and their “mistakes”

45. By CJ on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

It was a tough game to watch. Seemed to end just like last week. We get down by just a bit and on our final big drive to the end zone we get a turnover. My biggest issue is the 3 and outs. We seem to only score on big plays but just can’t make a sustained 4 or 5 yards every down. While I love Fitz and the big plays, I’d prefer to keep their defense on the field the whole game so that our defense can play fresh the entire game.

46. By rio on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Fired the OC, and then fired the Oline coach and then fired Coach Wiz for hiring them and fired the GM for hiring him.
    Tying to run against the Oline for Seattle was just stupid that was their strengh and their only strengh, we could have pass our way all the way a few times we have them reeling and went back to the run and wasted downs.

If we had Green Bays coaching staff we would be 3 and 0 right now,
    the playing calling is sick and the line can’t block any one.

This is a sick team, with winning players.

47. By cardsalltheway on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Don’t tell me Mike Singletary left the 49ers new coach(Jim Harbaugh) a great team who is looking better than Ken W.’s ? I seem to remember numerous Cardinal pundits laughing(at the least-not to mention the Seahawks) at the 49ers just a few weeks ago.

48. By Dean on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Thanks again for the good analysis, Darren. I’m not a knee-jerk reactionist typically, as I try to give some time to let things simmer before giving my thoughts. Now that we’re a day removed from the game, I’m having trouble coming to grips with why we didn’t try that no-huddle offense more when it was obvious the base offense was going nowhere. It looked to me from watching on TV we were trying not to lose rather than playing to win and win big. I understand that probably comes with confidence in each other, which is probably lacking due to the lockout and some new players. Still, it’s hard to watch the Bills and other teams pile up points while we struggle to score 10 against a team we clearly should have beat.

49. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

emm7777 —

RE: Playcalls

My understanding is that Miller does, although Whiz, like any head coach who doesn’t do it every play, has veto power and sometimes gets involved.

50. By cardsalltheway on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I sure hope Ken W. is watching or watched Bill Belichick in those NFL films? Or perhaps Chan Gailey this week?

51. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

ApCards —

RE: Pressers

Pressers are here: http://prod.static.cardinals.clubs.nfl.com/assets/podcast/podcasts.xml

52. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

DirtybirD —

RE; Concern

I think there are multiple issues. The offense had been up and down the first two games but there was little up yesterday. And on the Seahawks’ lone TD drive, the defense couldn’t get off the field.

53. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Throwback

Yes it was a designed play. Every team has a version of it (it’s what the Titans used against the Bills in the Music City Miracle). It was open if Jefferson catches it cleanly.

54. By Peter in Canada on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

This was most definitely a very winnable game. This hurt far more than last week. Sadly it all comes down on the QB. Through no fault of his, he was given Warner type money but because of his inexperience he is yet and maybe never will be able to deliver Warner type results. However, the league is very much upside down this year so all is not lost. It was good to see the D play so well though and that is a good sign.

55. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Nick —

RE: Mondays after a loss

Imagine if you worked where I do.

56. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Dean —

RE: No-huddle

I was surprised they didn’t go back to it.

57. By Jeff Gollin on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Lesson to be Learned – Teams that are successful playing “small ball” generally play mistake-free football (as in ALWAYS making FG’s under 50-yards) and their playmakers make enough plays to give them a slight edge.

For example – If Joey P gathers in that fumble after the aborted snap (instead of pushing it away), we’d at the very least be well within Feely’s range.

I say this not to single out one player but to point out that there were probably a half-dozen plays that – if we had just made one of them – we’d probably have left Seattle a winner.

58. By Cert 33 on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I think that this game was the early season measuring stick for the Cards. The Seattle Seahawks were arguably the worst team in the NFL for 2011. While I think the signing of Kolb brought a sense of stability at the QB position, it appears that things have not really improved much from last year. The Bidwells should have gone after Jeff Fisher with hat in hand during the off-season if they really wanted to get back to the playoffs. The new Whiz/Ray Horton combination is looking like a 6-10 team at best.

59. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

A couple of more weeks like this and I’ll already be looking forward to the draft.

60. By cardsalltheway on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

CORMAC,
    “First off, let me say I like Kevin Kolb alot. He is a great quarterback, as was Kurt Warner.”
    This is a perfect example of how and why I used the term ‘brainwashing.’
    I have nothing against Kolb, but to compare or equate him to Kurt Warner shows some brain thing going on.

61. By MIKE G on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren– Tough loss for the Card’s yesterday. They seemed like they had nothing sustained all afternoon. Defense played somewhat better and if you hold a team to 13 points at home you should win. I felt the three biggest issues that hurt the Card’s yesterday was 1-Beanie’s absence, 2- third down conversions–3-14, and 3–our field goal unit. Beanie has to prove he can play a full season and play through injuries. This is why I still would of liked Hightower here. He is more durable. We executed poorly on third down–couldn’t move the chains. Also, you can’t keep missing field goals at the beginning of these games because it leads to confidence problems and momentum swings.
    I thought Alfonso Smith played well given his time and Campbell on the D-line had a nice game. Kolb also has to stay in the pocket more and not bail out on the play-. He has to watch these interceptions. – Hey Darren –do you think you could ask Whiz about the team not going back to the no-huddle offense at another point in the game??? That seemed to be a strength for them yesterday–created matchup problems for Seattle!!!

62. By David on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

This team should be 3-0 and nothing less. Step up to the plate or get some people in there who can do the job. Not winning games on the road against .500 clubs has got to stop and it is common place in Arizona AGAIN!

63. By emm7777 on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

For better or (usually) worse, I am optimistic about this team. Just getting less confident in Whiz by the week… Thank you for the answer, Darren. You do a great job here. I sometimes check out other team sites, for fantasy football, and you are by far the most informative and on top of it. Thanks!

64. By cardsalltheway on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Ken W’s NFL head coaching win/loss record…33 wins – 34 LOSSES.
    Chan Gailey NFL record: 25 wins – 26 losses.

65. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: No-huddle

We asked. He punted the answer.

66. By cardsalltheway on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Weeks 9, 15, 16, and 17 will be the only weeks(if that) they will be favored. Let’s Go Cardinal Underdog Busters!

67. By BIG RED on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I’m with John S, Its just sad for all Cardinal Fans!!!!!! Wish Kolb was back in Phillie!!!!!!! Just hoping for a change in QB, but please dont even think of bringing back max hall for one minute, he was a joke.

68. By Cert 33 on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

3-0! Brother, we are only a great Patrick Peterson punt return away from being 0-3! And Carolina and Seattle are teams that will finish in last place at the end of the season when it’s all said and done.

69. By Brandon on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Well here we go again for another seson of we shouldve couldve. #1 our play calling on offense is pathetic. We dont ever try to go deep are you coaches scared and a screen pass on 3rd and long please.
    #2 Where is the blitzing defense? How come i havent seen ad wilson in the mix of things on blitz packaging.
    It is like the cards coaching staff are coaching scared. How about this throw the ball deep more. Blitz more and we will win more games

70. By APCARDS on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Hopefully that was the only “egg” of the season.
    I think more no huddle needed. If Kolb is good at it then play to his strengths! Defense looked better esp D- line! There is hope, I just hope that mentally this team will rise and up not sink! They need to forget this and move on.
    Think positive! We are at home this weekend! Let’s all be there and support! Nothing irks me more than fans booing their own team. GO CARDS!
    Darren, thanks for info.

71. By Chuck 1 on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

By swedler on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply
    “Overall it was a major let down. The offense just stunk. They are better than they played today.”
    ==============
    By clssylssy on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply
    “I had a really bad feeling going into this game and only hope the team isn’t discouraged but rather motivated to win at home next week. I expect an onslaught of criticism from our so-called fan base and hope they will stiffle (sic) themselves and instead be a part of the solution……..Still, I look at our team as a work in progress and am excited at the direction we are going. I know that changes don’t happen overnight.”

My (“so-called fan”) comments: When are Polyannish fans going to stop drinking the Kool Aid and admit that the Cards are NOT a good team and that Graves and Whiz have assembled a team that can not beat good or even poor (see Seahawks) teams?

swedler, “they are better than they played today”. REALLY??????

clssylssy “is excited about the direction that we are going” How many other fans are “excited about the direction that we are going” “We” are going down down down. Put that in the bank.

72. By Code on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I think everyone is just tired of hearing the same thing every week. I know it’s not Whizs’ style to be brash or outspoken but it’s the same thing every week: “We didn’t execute” and they preach patience and talk a big game for the entire week. Then the game comes, same old Cardinals.

Man, I live in New England. It sure is hard being a Cardinals fan over here.

73. By VoiceofReason on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Starting Bartel??? Are you people freaking insane???

This isn’t Dennis Green’s quarterback roulette. I thought Kolb made one bad through yesterday (the seconed INT) but generally was efficient with the calls he was asked to make. To me, the problem likes in some of the play calling. There is no excuse — NONE — for not converting on second and 1 or third and 1 if you have the weapons at WR and TE that we have. Run a slant. Find Heap for a four yard gain.

But don’t run an undrafted rookie into the heart of their defense — beef up the middle. That is on coaching.

The only drawback I see to Kolb is that he needs to look to Roberts and Doucet more. Let’s see more crossing routes, slants to Fitzgerald, and finding Heap for short to medium gains.

The other thing I think Kolb needs to work on is his efficiency against the blitz. Recognize where it comes from, and then throw to the spot left. Warner was a master of this, and I’ll bet he’d help Kolb get better at it.

74. By jocards on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I thought we dumped Derek Anderson….Okay, not fair but that was an inexcusable interception at that point. Feely probably would’ve missed again anyway but you have to at the very least give him a shot to tie it up. Kolb will get better and I believe the team will get better but the notion that this is a good team that is underachieving is off base IMO. This team could very easily be 0-3 right now and the schedule has been rather soft to this point. I’ve been a fan since the team played in St. Louis and save a couple of seasons this is a very bad franchise….Some seasons they show potential & promise, other seasons they just look bad but the one constant is that they lose…Outside of the run of ’08 & ’09 this is a very sorry football team and it always has been. Every Sunday I hope for good things and 4 or 5 times a season I get it but usually it is the same old story. Very tiresome but I’ll be back at it next Sunday.

75. By Blair on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Since when did skelton play tackle? Tom Brady couldn’t win a game with the cardz line protecting him.

76. By Christo on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Whiz going to own up at any point. Maybe let him know that we are OK, we just need to tighten up a few things is NOT what is going on. The O Line is TERRIBLE. We have no #2 WR. Our run game is HORRENDOUS.

Oh and if that wasn’t enough we just lost to the Seattle Seahawks !

77. By NFC West Champs on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Seahawks, Seahawks, Seahawks. You guys just can’t beat us….

78. By Redcorn on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

We payed all that money for Kolb and we have no insurance. I’m sorry but our O-line stinks bad. All I saw all day was Brandon Keith chasing after his man instead of blocking him. Hence why he was at the right place at the right time to recover that fumble. Just a gut wrenching loss to say the least.

79. By cheesebeef on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

How is it that someone on the internet can see that going into the off-season, our greatest struggles would be our Offensive Tackles, terrible linebacking play and completely untested rookie corners and absolutely zero number 2 WR… yet our FO choose to do NOTHING about them except sign Stewart Bradley, who hasn’t been good for three years and was demoted last year? Literally… he was the only FA brought in to address all of these GLARING holes on the team… oh, except for Chansi Stuckey, who’s done a bang up job so far this season. Can you explain to me why you think the team didn’t feel the need to address OT, WR #2 or LB when we saw ALL of those guys last year be completely out of their league?

Cheese

80. By BIG RED 66 on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Well I guess SI was right at 6-10 or worse for the Cards. We are PATHETIC both in talent and coaching. I am seeing a 1-6 start before we even have a chance against the Rams and will prpbably lose that one to. Maybe we are in the Andrew Luck lotto. Pathetic effort by the offense and coaching. Maybe Whisenhunts nickname should be “The Magician” as he made Larry’s talents disappear. PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

81. By CardiacCard on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Fan Poll:

How many interceptions will Kevin Kolb throw this season?

0-15

16-20

21-25

26-30

30-plus

82. By Procen on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Whoever is doing the offensive play calling or designing the play is doing a terrible job. Like everyone is saying in this forum the cards has a lot of talents and playing a awful Seahawks and getting beat is a joke.

83. By swedler on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Chuck 1 –

Yes they are better than they played yesterday. Basic skills-wise they are more capable that it looked yesterday. Third downs were the biggest problem yesterday. Couldn’t get them and couldn’t stop them. Well that and Kolb’s happy feet. :)

I believe they will get better as the year progresses. Still win this crappy division and possibly beat someone in the playoffs.

What can you expect from so many new people with so little time together? Improvement that’s what.

Last thing, bring back Ben Graham and put Duece back in the starting lineup.

84. By swedler on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

People need to stop jumping off the metaphorical bridge. It’s 3 games after a shortened preseason and some key injuries.

85. By Peter in Canada on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway – He is the equal of Warner on pay day.

BIGRED and John S – I don’t think Kolb stinks. Rather he is inexperienced. His time at Philly showed that he is a work in progress rather than the finished product and the lockout certainly hurt him.. The Cards overpaid both in terms of players and also in terms of his contract. However they could not go through another season with last year’s QB’s. In terms of who was available I don’t think they had a lot of choice. Rather than get pissed off I am hopeful that he will get to the next level and the team will benefit.

86. By wnycardfan on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Lots of people have said it, I agree, we look bad. How can we lose to the worse team in the NFL? Pundits were calling seattle a college team!!!!! We just lost to them. What does that make us? I stated it early last week, we always find a way to lose the game that should be a shoe in. I see a lot of good players, but as a team, they can’t do squat. This is becoming more about coaching then players at this point. I know some will say “stop being a fair weather fan” etc, but seriously, can we just live up to simple expectations??? As far as no pre-season, look at some other teams, they are clicking and working WITH a lot of trades/FA’s. So why can’t we? Teams that people predicted would stink, are doing fairly well, why can’t we? Look at our last 3 games and who we played, some have hit it on the head, we should be 3-0, we have no excuse. we Stink. Perhaps there is hope, it being only 3 games into season, but there is NOTHING in the last 3 games that gives me hope that is true. Inconsistent play on both sides, some flashes, that is it. That won’t win games. I am now leaning towards this being worse than a “building” season, and more towards a complete disaster (vs expectations). PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG, but as someone else said, I’ve been following them for YEARS and its the same pattern, so I’m a bit weak on the hope part.

87. By Andy M on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

True, the Cards are a play away from 0-3, but they are a play away from 2-1 and two plays away from 3-0. That’s the NFL for you. For me as a fan, the most agonizing thing was watching the non-conversion of third downs with short yardage. It is a different day, but in the Warner era, those plays would have been quick passes. Instead, the Cards kept losing out on telegraphed runs by a small, inexperienced back. Had Wells been able to play, perhaps a different result, but it seems like the strategy was doomed. The Cards will be okay, but they do need to win against the Giants to avoid the sinking ship syndrome. Kolb will be okay once he becomes more facile with the offense. The team cannot be patient, but I hope the fans maintain some level of patience.

88. By adam sheafe on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

This all starts with how cheap the cards are. They don’t pay any of their players and try to keep core guys on the team except Fitz (which is smart) and Dockett. Does Antonio Smith, Antrel Rolle, Carlos Dansby, Calvin Pace ring a bell? Kurt Warner had to pull teeth to get a contract right after taking this unappreciative franchise to the superbowl. The Cards offer their players very insulting contracts so its out in the media that they offered a deal when they know it was a very disrespectful gesture. If they give Steve Breaston what he was really worth this offense is one of the top in the NFL but they offered $9 mil and the Chiefs offered somewhere in the $20 mil range because they knew his worth. No Loyalty to players!!! Whisenhunt wants to be the Steelers so bad… but he hasn’t explained to the Bidwells that the Steelers treat their players like family and know how to keep core guys together. Whisenhunt didn’t learn much from Pittsburgh because of the way he runs the Cards isn’t how the Steelers do it. Take care of your players. Horrible GM and management. It’s like comparing Mastro’s steak house to Del Taco.

89. By Brandon LA on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Can we really expect to contend with the Giants, Steelers and Ravens in the the next three games?

NO. One things for sure. At least we will have a chance in the 4th Quarter with a min left. Just enough to keep me watching till the bitter end. sigh.

90. By Eric on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Last year, I saw the decline of this team. It started slowly, but snowballed into this year. I am tired of hearing the “work harde”, and “fix it” crap. All excuses by THE COACHES. I understand this is only the third game of the year, but add it onto last year, and the year before that, and it doesn’t look good. Clearly we draft poorly and have no willingness to go for top free agents. I would love to see the head coach and general manager go. We, the fans, have heard enough to know this will never change. We have some awesome players that are poorly coached, period. There are some very good people available right now that have had success, not this group of wanna be Pittsburg clones. Of course I’m sure one of is would ever happen, I just can’t see this being good with Whiz and Graves.

91. By adam sheafe on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Whisenhunt wants to be the Steelers so bad….. but what he fails to realize is that the Steelers are a great organization because of its owners.. Great owners know how to hire the right people too. It all starts at the top.

It’s not your fault Whisenhunt, you just wanted to be a head coach.. If the Cardinals had good owners they would have seen right through you and your lack of leadership skills in your interview.

92. By NFCWESTCHAMPS on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Your comments are not unlike the history of your team – Poor! No, you shouldn’t have won the game because you didn’t win the game, period! Even if Well plays your O-line got blocked and allowed the penetration. The Seahawks have one of the biggest D line in the league. Well’s would have been stopped as well on 3rd and one.
    You got a lucky break in the end zone for a TD – Yes, Fitzgerald is the best Receive in the game, I agree but the defenders got in each other’s way. Also, nice superstar pass-interference call on 4th down. The ball was literally 10 feet over his head – I was sitting right there. I thought those phantom calls only happened in the NBA.
    BTW, we ALL laughed at the Tavares Jackson signing up here in SEA. You spent 60 Mil on an unproven QB who hasn’t proven he can stay healthy either. You better hope Fitzgerald stays healthy or you’ll beating out my Seahawks for the Andrew Luck sweepstakes’. Just keep it real with your comments – you lost – you should have lost and your O line got blocked!! Btw, Chester Taylor is still a good back – Beanie Well’s is a head case!

93. By Eric on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Hey WANNA BE NFC WEST CHUMP, get off this board, Cards fans only! Here is a news flash, your team still sucks.

94. By JohnfromOz on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Cards need their offensive weapon punter back. Bring back big Benny Graham.

95. By Honda Doug on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

The most pathetic 1/2 of football I have ever witnessed at any level, period. C’OME ON MAN!!!!!!!!

96. By azlongboarding on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

i remember back in 2009 when the cards had just lost to the colts on SNF and were sitting at 1-2 with 2 home losses (opener vs whiners). they finished 10-6 that season even though their d was destroyed by SF and Indy in those 2 losses at the begining of the season. let’s just be grateful we lost a division game on the road and not at home. otherwise we’d be screwed like the bears and eagles.

97. By scott023 on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Darren, is offense cord miller hurt or sick? I seen coach whiz making all the calls? That hurts when he is doing both jobs. You can’t be a real head coach if you are doing someone elses job. When we went to the bowl we had an offensive coach, tod did his job and coach whiz did his. Where was miller?

98. By scott023 on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Every time keith gets burned(every play) have kolb step up not back and step inside where keith was and by three seconds. Keith gets a push and they run around him and on kolbs butt ( he has not a clue that he is about to get drilled). Keith is a big,big guy just slow slow. Coach whiz loves him. Brown may be slower? He loves him too. Just a matter of time untill our sixty million dollar man will be on the injury list. Go back and count the times (every play) they are beat.

99. By Louisville Card on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Why is everyone always hating on what is supposed to be your team. We lost to Seattle who stinks I get it, but it’s early give them time to gel under the new system with all the new players. I’ve read the team has no talent and they are on the decline or we should’ve kept dansby, rolle, and Calvin Pace or we gave to much to get kolb and kept DRC. Really????? How is DRC doing this year he made one play in pre season I think we stole Kolb I bet Philly would love to take back that trade now….give this team time will they win the super bowl this year probably not, but they have a shot to win in the next few years if they continue to grow in the system.

On a side note Darren if Feely keeps missing field goals any chance they bring Ben back to stabilize the kicking game?

100. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Feely/Ben

If Feely keeps missing field goals, it’s much more likely Feely will be looking for a job like Graham, rather than Graham coming back.