• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Black is back Sunday

Posted by Darren Urban on September 26, 2011 – 2:54 pm

For everyone who has been asking — and it seems like I have been asked quite a bit — the Cardinals will be wearing their black jerseys again Sunday against the Giants. The Cards are trying to get into the win column with the third alternate jersey, having fallen while wearing them last year against the Bucs and 49ers.

A quick refresher: Black came on board in part because players for the longest time had wanted to wear the color. The rules for the third alternate jerseys were altered this season. No longer can they be worn in preseason, and they have to be worn (a max of twice) before the flexible scheduling begins in mid-November, so the timeframe to pick them obviously is a lot shorter.

Tags: ,

69 Responses to “Black is back Sunday”

1. By Travis on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I think we have far greater things to worry about than the damn color of our jerseys!

2. By Dynosaur on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Good, I’m a traditionalist and don’t like the black jersey’s. If I wanted to see black on my team I’d be a Steeler or Raiders fan.

Personally, I think the NFL should allow our jerseys to be like the other futball, let the team wear one of three jerseys and if two teams want to wear their color jerseys, as long as they aren’t both red, let them.

This week would look great if the Cardinals were wearing red and the Giants blue. Now that’s a third jersey policy I’d love to see.

3. By Scott H on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Sorry, but they played so bad in these black jerseys last year that they just bring back bad memories for me. Like everything else about 2010, I would rather just move on. They look SOOOOO much better in their regular uniforms…especially the home red. Why change?

4. By Dynosaur on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

As much as I don’t like black jerseys on my team, we should wear them against Pittsburgh. Maybe we could get more interceptions than normal.

I like seeing Cardinal red, but I also want to see Adrian get into the 30-30 club.

I still believe we can make Indy next February, it’ll be a little tougher now, but we can do this.

5. By Javier Montoya on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Is there any news on some possible throwback Jerseys???

6. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Javier –

RE: Throwbacks

Nope.

7. By MIKE G on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hopefully wearing those black jerseys will be a good luck charm against the Giants this week. We need more from Dan Williams this week matching up with Jacobs and Bradshaw in this game. Giants are banged up at wideout and are really using their backs heavy during the course of a game. Williams must hold his own this week. I worry about the Cards run defense this week against the Giants. How would you grade out the Cards rush defense against the Seahawks yesterday–122 yards on 30 carries??????

8. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Rush defense

Could have been better. Seahawks had only 95 rush yards total in first two games. But giving up just 13 points and allowing just one first down on final five SEA possessions really should have been enough.

9. By Rich Harris on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren.How come coach wiz’s press conferences aren’t posted on the wbsite anymore?
    Rich.

10. By Scott on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I liked when they wore all red. Red Jersey, Red Pants, and Red Socks. We did awesome that year! Not like our jersey selection is going to change the play but that was the best uniform set up in my opinion.

11. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Rich Harris –

RE: Pressers

They are, just in a different place

12. By Brandon LA on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

won’t help us play better

13. By pipapiko on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Black jerseys huh? Them black jerseys aren’t going to get them a win hahahahahahahahaha…….. I hope Rolle has a few pick six himself! Cards most likely are going to be 4 – 16

14. By GW on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Your jersey don’t win ballgames players do. coach horton the cards need to start their young (lb)schofield&acho these guys are hungry . to the cards organization maybe its time to call RANDY MOSS need to take some of the double coverage off fitz.i know he not a saint but you took a chance on porter why not randy because this off. need some excitement.

15. By Jerry from IL on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I personally like the team uniforms from the St. Louis days. Red top white pants or all white. It was a good look. (except for the bird on the helmet at that time looked like a cartoon character.

16. By nooner on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Totally agree with Travis we have way too many problems than what color of jersey we should be wearing

17. By DW#1FAN on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I want to be wearing Giant blue this Sunday. I want their paint on our helmets. Contact. Totally all out ATTACK!!!

18. By sport245245 on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I could care less about the color of the jersey, but I would like to know when Steven Williams is going to get on the field. Speed and size and I saw some great things from him in preseason. Just a frustrated fan wanting to know. Game was lost when 2nd and 1 and no first down. Heck, a q/b sneak would have been a better call. The 3rd and 15 play on the winning drive should have been a max blitz. Those two plays cost the game. What’s up Whiz? Lets see, we give up Boldin (let them double Fitz if he was on the field. And just maybe we could have used Hightower. Havn’t seen that great 3rd rounder yet. Oh well maybe I’m just a wee bit frustrated. But we didt get a couple 6th round picks????? and maybe a bucket of ???

19. By ross on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

The sky is falling.

20. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

The Red is where it’s at. No real need to change, but the black jersey is a nice change for a week. I would much more prefer to have the white jersey with black numbers numbers in red trim with black pants with red and white trim. Make it a on the road thing. At home, IT SHOULD BE ALL RED BABY !!!!!

Let go Cardinals.

21. By wnycardfan on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

great, so we can look cool while getting our butt’s kicked by the Giants at home. Can’t wait

22. By drummer-1 on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

@pipapko

Not sure what league you’re in, but before you make a smart comment make sure you know how many games are played during the year and don’t try to use preseason…

23. By Chris on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Throw back? They just barely changed to new jerseys a few years ago. Until then they had seemingly the same jerseys and logo since the team was founded.

24. By B on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Darren,any chance cards will ever go all black with black pants with black jerseys?

Not a fan of white pants with black tops.

25. By Brandon LA on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

If we had won vs hawks black would be our favorite color!! The worst thing is….the hawks sucked sooooo bad in that game. They were snapping the ball over TJ’s head for goodness sake. soooooo bad. ugh. That better not be there only victory of the season. I hope they beat the eagles and go 2-14.

I could see a bounce back at home vs g men. but after that ouch the schedule get intimidating. sooooooooooo bad

26. By Gocardds on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Darren: This team stinks. Ofence and defence don’t work together. Doesn’t matter to me what color of jersey they wear. Whatever jersey they are going to wear, they will void and poop on it. The team seems has talent, but the coaches, especially the head choache is panicing. He doesn’t know how the team to make sucessful.

27. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

The players shouldn’t be allowed to wear their beloved black jerseys until they win another game.

28. By BIG RED on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I like the red jerseys better, how can we say stand-up Red Sea when we’re wearing black. Anyway we didn’t play good last year wearing black. So, lets just forget about those jerseys. Let’s go out there and get a victory, please.

29. By R Robles on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

1 Screen outta the whole game whats up with that & no slip screens with Chestor Taylor he runs screens really good cant believe were no on point why not throw it up to Fitz better thana drag to Roberts only to get blasted in the middle IDK im confused & full of ?’s 2 games that we could of won ???

30. By BIG RED on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Yell, the only way will progress in the QB position is if we change QB.

31. By rio on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Final game plan for next sunday, we will wear black boys.

32. By SeeingRed on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Travis.

33. By greg on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

dam i wish ryan williams didnt get injured:/

34. By AZ Fan in WA on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

It was waaaaaaaay harder being a Cardinal fan the last 3 decades than it has been under Whiz. Things were bleak! A couple of frustrating games is not the end of the world. It’s the NFL so any given Sunday right? You guys are upset because you had these games in the bag and gave away the ‘harder’ part of the schedule. So maybe we win some of those. If not you can always do what my friend Johnny did after his Pats lost to the Giants to destroy there shot at a perfect season… rip his jersey off and try to set it on fire in the living room while we all laughed at him. Expectations about things beyond your control is irrational. Take a deep breath.

35. By dan on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Those “black jerseys” were not much luck last year. We got smoked.

36. By dan on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Besides us changing our uniforms, how about changing the WRs? Andre Roberts won’t even be in the league in 3 years, put in DeMarco Sampson. Not really sold on Stephen Williams either. Williams is not physical enough and doesn’t use his hands to catch the ball, he a body catcher and for his size he should be more physical. He’s a waste of time unless he gets more confident and more physical.

37. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

B –

RE: Black pants

I don’t think so, but you never say never.

38. By Dynosaur on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

“Ottis Anderson Fan” said it best. They should win before wearing black.

The players wanted black jerseys, so tell them, “Win 3 games in a row and you can wear black.”

We’re the Cardinals and Cardinals are red.

Go Big Red!

(Go Big Black just doesn’t sound the same.)

39. By AT on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Based on all of these negative comments I am thinking I am one of the few fans that is a fan of the alternate jerseys! I think they look pretty sharp and the guys obviously enjoy wearing them. You can’t blame clothing or appearance for losses suffered last season. If that were the case we should re-do our entire jersey line. Sounds pretty ridiculous when it is put in that perspective, yes? ;)

I guess I am just tired of the negativity coming from a lot of the fans. Personally I think that has more of an affect on a team than what they are wearing…

40. By John S on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

@ Rich Harris
    It’s kinda beyond me why anyone would want to watch any more of Whiz’s Monday pressers. If you watched any of the previous games, including last year, you’ve seen it already. “Need to work on mistakes, need to clean up the penalties, didn’t execute plays, things we have to fix and get better, etc etc.”

41. By Dewayne on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Black jerseys? Is that all you have to write about Darren? Who cares what they wear…. There a BUNCH OF LOSERS!!!!!!!!!!!! Chester Taylor, what are you thinking? Why didnt you just retire!! 4 carries for 4 yards, your a joke!!!! When you leave take Beanie with you. Oh speaking of Beanie did you all see him giving the coach advice during the game. No wonder we lost!!! Sit your butt down your suppose to be hurt!! Why did you take him to seattle anyway? Waste of a plane ticket!!! Levi Brown needs to head to the practice squad also! Hey Cardinal Players, YOU GUYS SUCK!!!!!

42. By Chris on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

One thing to keep in mind.. I’ve noticed the guys play with more intensity when wearing the black jersey. Granted, they haven’t won in them but the games were plenty intense.

43. By suspence716 on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Might as well put on a ballerina tutu cuz we play like a bunch of sissies anyways. Cards are a joke once again. we had two good seasons out of like 98. Cardinal fans, i’m sorry but we are the laughing stock of the NFL again!

44. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Dewayne –

RE: Black jerseys

People want to know about the uniforms. It’s not like I am writing this is lieu of news. It’s in addition to everything else I am doing.

I think it’s time for you to step back a moment. The over-the-top insults are going past plain criticism.

45. By ndpenner on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

I miss the red-out look from ’08/’09 where we were pretty much unbeatable in those uniforms. Not digging the black ones so much. Looks kind of like the Falcons to me.

46. By Dewayne on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Step back, over the top insults? It’s only the truth!! Here’s a story for you. Cardinal fan bets against his team to win back some of the money he lost while buying season tickets!! I wish they would have told me to step back when they called my house to sell me more season tickets! Whatever Darren! I apologize for my comments to you and the cardinal players, but its how I feel. I have supported them since 1990! I even got a job there getting people to sign up for credit cards just to watch them play. How much time do they need to build a real team. Tell the players good luck because im done supporting them, wearing there merchandise and being told by other teams fans were losers! Today I remove all decals from my vehicles. Dewayne Card fan(1990-2011) RIP!!!

47. By Dewayne on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

The black jerseys are worn in memory of all the true card fans who have had enough of believing that one day our Cardinals will be Champions!! This Sunday will be the last time I cheer them on! Dewayne Card card fan (1990-2011) good luck cards im done!

48. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Come on everyone, I like both but prefer the Red, but it doesn’t matter. It’s all about execution. Saying we have no luck wearing the black jerseys is crazy. We had no luck wearing the Red or White jerseys for that matter. It just comes down to executing. If we execute the gameplan, we have a chance of winning, no matter what color we are wearing.

Editors note: THIS

49. By Jahstone on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Seriously…were you all not here between 1988-2006??? We had two non-losing seasons and one playoff appearance. 1998 we broke our playoff drought…hadn’t won a road playoff game in more than 50 years. We shattered all those records in 2008-2009, putting in our best performance since 1947-48. So CHILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

50. By olcoonhound on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

lets go cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

51. By Scott H on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

pipapiko -

Yet more proof that you really don’t know what you are talking about any time you open your mouth. Hoping the Cardinals will go 4-16, are ya? Tell us, genius – are all teams playing 20 games this year, or is it just the Cardinals and 4 other teams ( who will surely be quite tired by the end of the season )?

Some advice, dude – it is better to stay silent and let others THINK you are an idiot than to open your mouth and prove them right. Trust me, we are convinced. No further proof necessary.

52. By njcardinal on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

darren,

what color is the crowd wearing this sunday against the giants?
    thanks

53. By cactus_hawaiian on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Is this sunday also the start of Breast Cancer awareness month where the players also wear pink gloves & shoes?

54. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Cactus –

RE: Breast cancer awareness

55. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

R.I.P. DeWayne.

We hardly knew ye.

Or liked ye.

56. By TucsonTim on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Last time I saw a black cardinal it was called a crow. Dumb idea last year, still dumb this year.

57. By CNelson on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Comments like thoes is why id love to have a like it or hate it button

“Like it”

58. By sport245245 on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know who wanted Sampson on the field, but I think he was on the injury list. Hammy or something. Williams is and has been healthy all year but hasn’t seen the field. Im with you about Roberts. He is worthless. Chansi Stucky? give me a break. I wish I could show you the two catches tha tell me Williams can make athletic catches. I have them on DVR. I would like to see him on the other side of Fitzgerald, but more explicitly, I’d like to know why he is the only wideout that can’t even see the field. Why Whiz?

59. By suspence716 on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

I’m with u dewayne! Lets wear black like we’re at a funeral cuz the chances of having a winning season is dead! Anyone who thinks ur comments are over the top is either delusional or is just not being honest with themselves. This team, as talented as they are, just plain flat out sucks. They play with no heart, like a bunch of sissies. Just look at the way we cant pick up the blitz, let alone a first down when its 2nd n 1. Just freakin punt on 1st down retardinals, same result…. I been a cards fan since they came to the valley. I was born n raised here, love my hometown teams, but if they arent going to show any heart on sundays, I too am peeling the decals off my ride n burying my status as a cards fan. 1988- 2011 R.I.P

60. By suspence716 on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

Hey jahstone

We had a winning season in 98 with jake plummer at the helm. We were 9-7 that year and went into cowboys stadium n whooped em 20-7. So big deal, we’ve had three winning seasons in like 50 some odd years, Ya laughing stock of the nfl!

61. By Dewayne on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

Everyone is wearing g blue!!!!

62. By Darren Urban on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

Dewayne –

RE: “G blue”

I thought you were leaving.

63. By GACardFan on Sep 29, 2011 | Reply

Dewayne- and Suspence716-

Would be very happy for you to find new teams to root for. Even better take up knitting, I hear Sunday is great for knitting. Every team is going to have games that make you mad. Not every game will be won, believe me I’ve been a fan since ’89. You two have seen worse seasons than last year. You have seen seasons that have less explanation.

In case you didn’t follow football this off season. There was a lockout. This means players cannot enter team facilities or have contact with their coaches. Stop me if I’m going to fast, I hope you are still following me. Teams in transition are expected to be inconsistent as a result of this.

Second bit of news. The Cardinals have a new quarterback and defensive coordinator. Still with me? Knitting yet? With a shortened off season the quarterback and defense miss out on over 1000 repetitions. It will take time to develop chemistry and scheme understanding.

If this is still all to much to handle please let me know. I will have my wife come on and explain the finer points of knitting. Not judging, we all need hobbies.

64. By GACardFan on Sep 29, 2011 | Reply

Also

Great job with the news. I am stoked about the black jerseys and look forward to seeing them Sunday. For all who have forgotten they almost upset the Bucs last year wearing these jerseys.

65. By Anthony Bonkowske on Sep 29, 2011 | Reply

for those of you who are doing nothing but complaining about the jerseys….1. the color of the jersey doesnt make the team. so when they dont play up to par with the black on, it has nothing to do with the jersey. 2. if it bothers you that much to see black then dont watch it. 3. if the cardinal are truly your team you would support them in anything they do or wear. they made these jerseys because they wanted to wear the color…if you havent noticed, its been a hit. they get to wear them twice a year. what is the big deal?
    anyways go cards! im here through it all(good, bad and all colors)

66. By Brandyn on Sep 29, 2011 | Reply

I guess the bandwagon dropped off at Seattle last week… i remember last year all the hype was over these new black jerseys. I love any jersey they wear, the black just gives it a different feel, the color of the jersey doesnt matter, but the players want to wear it! im tired of reading all this hatred towards the cards, you can see the real fans, to the 2008 post season fans…

67. By suspence716 on Sep 29, 2011 | Reply

Hey GAcardfan, why dont u knit me a tom brady jersey cuz i’m rooting for my backup team once again. GO Pats!!!!!!, n have fun knitting n rooting for a loser. I can’t do it again this year.

68. By robin on Oct 1, 2011 | Reply

I love the black jersey! I think they look so much meaner. I really wish they would change the helmet to black too! Come on Cardinal fans don’t give up. They can win. Especially at home.

69. By robin on Oct 1, 2011 | Reply

Some of these comments are funny. They are so negative against the Cardinals. It reminds of my husband. He kept saying these things and I would say you never know. That was the year they went to the Super Bowl.