Posted by Darren Urban on September 26, 2011 – 11:34 am

A few quick notes after coach Ken Whisenhunt’s Monday presser and before the locker room opens up and we have some player availability:

– As expected, the idea behind sitting RB Beanie Wells was to avoid it becoming a month-long problem. Perhaps he could have played Sunday, but if he wasn’t ready and ruined himself after three carries, the Cards would have a much bigger issue to deal with. Whiz said he thinks Wells and LaRod Stephens-Howling will be available against the Giants, but as always, both will have to go through practice for the week to see where they stand.

– He knows the Cards didn’t get the ball to Larry Fitzgerald in the second half, but felt like had the Cards found some open receivers on the other side of the field because of the Seattle double-team, that would have forced the defense to honor the others and create some lanes for Fitz.

– The reason the Cards didn’t go back to the no-huddle was because of a handful of mistakes during the touchdown drive in which the Cards did run it. “There were plays where we got lucky,” Whisenhunt said during the no-huddle sequence. The Cards just haven’t had enough time to install/practice the package yet. He also said there the Cards had a personnel issue on the third-and-long quick screen to Andre Roberts, which went nowhere and forced Jay Feely’s long FG try that was short. Someone didn’t hear the check into the play and didn’t do what he was supposed to, hampering the outcome.

– He made sure to tell Patrick Peterson on Peterson’s end-of-half interception to keep the play alive, with the Seahawks’ offense on the field and spread out all over. Peterson is a playmaker and could have made something happen. Instead, he went down right away to protect the ball — and to be fair, it looked like he was being encouraged to do so by Adrian Wilson.

– No new significant injuries to report, Whiz said.

I’ll have more later.

Tags: , , , , ,

71 Responses to “Following up with Whiz”

1. By joez on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

this whole team a coaches mistake. Players are too busy making candy on sunday then deciding to show up play ball and win a game. Cardinals stink, d line stinks (wilson is the worse right infront of dock), Offense line stinks, running back stinks, The punter stinks, feely stinks. This whole team is a joke. Bla Bla Bla, more excuses this week just like loosers do, excuses!! excuses!!, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

2. By Cert 33 on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Peterson is the only reason we are not 0-3!(All to last-place teams!) Whiz, do us a favor and resign and take Ray Horton and your puppet OC with you. You lucked into a short “revival” of the ’99-’02 Ram’s “Greatest Show on turf” w/ Warner in ’08 and ’09 and then you went back to your BS cheap imitation of the Steelers that doen’t work. You and your staff’s play calling is what’s wrong, the player talent is all there. Kolb is not Warner but he is at least Jake Plummer and that’s certainly good enough. Just quit.

3. By Curtis on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I know I’m going to sound like one of “those” fans who thinks one game a player makes but for what it’s worth Alfonso Smith was impressive Sunday. I know part of that is making your case whenever you get the chance but I think he deserved a chance for continued playing time. Am I sounding like one of “those” fans Darren?

4. By Steve on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Darren: Does coach Whisenhunts contract end after next season? I really hope he ends up being the cards coach for several more years. We can all blame the lockout for the cards lack of cohesiveness especially on defense but this season already has the stale feeling of last year and now with our schedule getting harder I’m not sure we will win more than 5 games if that. He’s got to get this thing turned around again before he runs out of time.

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Curtis —

RE: Alfonso

I think Smith acquitted himself well. Bottom line, though, Beanie will be the guy when healthy.

6. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Whisenhunt contract

He is under contract through 2013.

7. By larry collins on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

its early in the season.we lost the last two games by only four points.hopefully we learn by our mistakes.we will have plenty of time to get going to take the nfc west

8. By TucsonTim on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

“There were plays where we got lucky,” Whisenhunt said during the no-huddle sequence. The Cards just haven’t had enough time to install/practice the package yet”

Did Seattle get OTA’s and a full training camp, because I’m pretty sure they were running that package…with a new QB…as well as a dozen or so other teams in the NFL. Pretty lame excuse

9. By mike hadzinski on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    Whats up with lyle yelling and telling levi brown get the f*** off the field i heard him yelling through my t.v whats up with that ? Levi just sucks At tackle i can’t wait till offseason in which his salary sky rockets and we let him go

10. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

At this rate, there is no way the Card’s should exercise their club option in 2013 in Beanie’s contract. Let’s hope I’m wrong, but Beanie’s living up to his pre-draft hype of being a player who struggles to stay healthy.

Wouldn’t it be nice to have somebody with Steve Breaston’s experience opposite Fitz right now?

11. By Kaitlin on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

It’s just bad, bad coaching, and very poor team preparation. There’s no real excuses, or other way to describe it. All the excuses about people “not knowing” the no huddle, or getting mixed up. It’s just a very weak coaching staff, or an extremely dumb set of players. There is no sugar-coating it. The Cardinal staff has to prove it can do ANYTHING without Kurt Warner. Until they do that, they will go down in history as extremely lucky to have had KW, and were dunces otherwise. The people in Pittsburgh look very smart to have gone the way they did five years ago.

12. By Andy on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

That was a weak effort. The defense played well, like last year, then gave up a deciding touchdown drive, like last year.
    The quarterback won’t release the football in time. The offensive scheme is terrible. The line cannot seem to protect the quarterback, even though he is holding the ball too long.
    Coach Whiz is responsible for this mess. Get it together, Opie Taylor.

13. By Andy M on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I have a loaded question: how do you perceive KW’s ability to deal with criticism? Buddy Ryan and Denny Green (for example) were very thin-skinned. Whisenhunt has raised expectations throughout the Valley. The negativity within the fan base seems high. In the old days we would hear “same old Cardinals”; now it seems like people expect a winner.

14. By jdcrow59 on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Just curious, anyone blocked Clemmons yet? Looks like another typical Cardinal year is in store for us. Different year, same old garbage. With very few exceptions I have watched this same stuff for 52 years. Well Im done. God bless all of you and best of luck. jdcrow is tapped out.

15. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Andy M —

RE: Criticism

I think his ability to handle criticism is much like every other person. You can to a point and then it starts to bother you. That’s no different than anyone else — oftentimes, I can tell people don’t like it when I go back at them on this comment board. I don’t know any coach that isn’t “thin-skinned” to a point. Some just hide it better than others.

16. By Tod on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Sunday was a SERIOUS setup back. There is no other way to slice and dice it. They’ve got some serious explaining to do. And that explaining can only be done on the field on Sunday.

They will have to show they are the team WE/THEY THINK THEY ARE .. and they will have to do it soon.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by the defense. If you are on the road and hold the home team to 13 points … you should win.

17. By steve on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I have been a cardinal fan my whole life –and I always ask myself why??? It’s turning out to be total drudgery watching this team — there past was always seeming to have the knack in snatching ‘defeat from the jaws of victory’ and it’s looking that way again this year… I mean I am no coach but why are you running a 3-4 when you have ‘save the guy in detroit’ the best defensive tackle in football playing end –then you sign a linebacker from philly and change his position — go to your strength — then you have no #2 receiver and everybody team is doubling fitzgerald –didn’t the coaches know this was going to happen…. Beanie Wells was an injury prone back in college… well guess what???? he is NOW AN INJURY PRONE PRO!! Here we are now –by all rights should be 3-0 (based on 3 weak oponents) but we are 1-2 — I don’t know maybe it’s frustration or maybe it’s just the realization that this organization just stinks!!!

18. By Tod on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

And … I’m very close to giving Beanie a new nick-name …

*China Doll*

If the dude can’t get on the field, he isn’t of much value. Too many years, with too many injuries. This is the NFL … not baseball or soccer. This is FOOTBALL.

19. By DW#1FAN on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

injuries hurt us. sure. Kolb to Heap hurt us as well. I like Heap but when Kolb is using him as a bail out every play it is just annoying. Why does Kolb through every 4th pass into the dirt? is he really stupid or is it a physical problem. I mean. I say stupid because the excuse is that he doesn’t know the system. well, welcome to the NFL. I’m 27 years old which is about this guys age. When I go to a job I am expected to kearn and perform as I go. We have only lost by 4 points total so far. I believe in this team but it is going to take some steppping up by players. Whiz and staff are not great game planners and are horrible at motivation. What they do is prepare players and run a scheme to fit their dream team. In order for this to be affective. the palyers must buy in 100% and motivate eachother. I think the team needs to revote captains cause Adub, Dockette and Larry are not leading anyone anywehre. They are just playing for themselves. it is obivous to the world guys. please step up Cardinals. Play as a Team. Play for Eachother. most of all…. play for your fans!!!!

20. By Blair on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

i have no idea what whiz is talking about when he tries to say that these two road games were “the hardest” of the year. whaaat? if anything i would say they were the easiest.

21. By nwcards on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know if it has been stated by the fans, but I do know it has not been addressed otherwise…..Why did the Card’s on 1st and 10 at the Seahawks 34 with realitivly plenty of time left did we not run the ball??? Why did we feel we had to pass on every down. Another 10 yards and we were in comfortable field goal range!!!!!

22. By Paul H on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Boy it’s a rough Monday. Thanks Daren for letting the fans vent a little. It’s very therapeutic. It’s early in the season and I’m trying to stay positive but it does make you wonder when you see coach Hue Jackson and journeyman Jason Campbell light up a NY Jets defense or Ryan Fitzpatrick light up a New England team.

23. By Cert 33 on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I wish you all would stop blaming the players and stop giving Whiz a free pass. We are just a Peterson punt return away from being 0-3 to three teams that will finish last in their divisions! Whiz has not done anything without the great Kurt Warner and has yet to prove he can, on either side of the ball. The talent level of the players on this team is more than good enough to win the weak NFC West. The coaching staff is NOT up to the task on either side of the ball.

24. By Matt on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I really hope the players and the staff don’t take notice of your “fans'” comments. I realize the Cards lost to the seahwaks, a team that took a beating from pittsburgh, and they’re special teams were scorched by the niners. But to call for the heads of Kolb and Whisenhunt is a bit extreme. Kolb has played for Philadelphia for 4 years, that’s 4 years learning the same system, he’s been in the Cardinals system for 2 months, there are bound to be hiccups. And before you send me to the cross for that statement because Jackson has been a seahawk for 2 months, he’s also playing with the same coordinator running basically the same system he was comfortable with in seattle. That’s not an excuse, but up until this week, Kolb has looked fantastic, so maybe cut him a few inches of slack.

How about as a fan base we support our team, losing on the east coast, notorious for killing the Cards in the past, by 1 point mind you, and then having to fly out to seattle and play in one of the loudest fields in the nfl, is not a very nice set of games. There’s more to football then the talent on the field, there is a mental portion that’s very easy to lose. And with 0 support from the fans, the Cardinals may as well forfeit all of their games and go home and watch football from their couches.

Am I happy the Cardinals lost, not at all. DId I think they should have taken this game, absolutely. The year is young, and I believe things will be turned around, I hope some of this is just your typical monday afternoon “I’m ticked and someone should pay for it” ranting.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to quell the storm

25. By ross on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I think this team makes the playoffs. Seriously.

26. By D on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

The good news from all the doom and gloom yesterday, they only had what, 2 penalties? That is impressive for false start field. Darren, any chance Dockett get’s credit for that sack on Jackson which they call an incomplete pass?? Terrible call…

27. By CNelson on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

You all sound like 49er fans, if you realy dislile the team coaches and ownership then get the hell off our website. Im so tired of hearing people cry about something they know absolutely NOTHING about. All along every team was givin a mullagen this year because of the lok out, just an FYI seatle could run the no huddle with T. Jackson because he already knows the playbook because its his old offencive cordinator. Stop crying and support this team or take afreakimg hike. Suffer threw all the years we had to deal with then see that WE R IMPOVING, 90% of the cry babies and thoes calling for fireings and roster change are prob the majority of people that decided sence we made it to the SB to start claiming they fallowed this team b4 hand witch is BULL S@&T! or you wouldnt be baddgering Darren like this.

Seriously if u dont like the team then get the hell away from us, thoes of us that choise to support this team understand they need time to grow and time to falter to learn. What showed sunday was we have a QB that has only been with us 2 Months, and a total defencive overhall that requirea time for playera to learn understand and exicute it. I mean realy, saying the team you love and support sucks? The coach that is actualy improving the team? Tomlen is a joke of a coach, he inhearated a team that was capable of winning the SB without him. Whiz, took our desalate franchise and is bringing passion and pride to it. 3 games into a season and the sky is falling? Seriously? Does any of you remember 2007? How about the first 8, no screw that the first 16 games that year? Greatness takes time, and all of you that are bashing this team now will be removing you foot from your mouth omce they all gell and get one the same page, personaly i dont see it this year, but next year is going to be one for the ages.

IMO id take the week off from the blogs, with all you do for us to have to deal with this from the so called “fans” is disrespectful to you at the ver least. Thank You and the whole orginization for all that you guys do for us. And i believe in this team and our coaches, all of them!
    Much love from the TRUE Cardinals fans!

P.S. How many of you that play madden actualy use your so called fav team? I do and only play as the cardinals, thats what being areal fan is about, Support at ALL TIMES!

P.P.S. Pauly Pigskin Ron Wofly and you Darren, couldnt ask for a better team of people to cove the team of the only sport i actualy care about!

28. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

D —

RE: Dockett play

No. I agree that it should have been at least an intentional grounding. But no, it will not change.

29. By B on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Yea…PP shouldn’t get any blame…adub was short of tackling him to get him to stop.

30. By TUCCARS00 on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I too have felt the gut puching sickness watching this team play. I am surely not going to bash this team. There are issues that need to be worked out, and I believe Whiz gets it done. This does not give Whiz a free pass. I am sure the coaching staff hates loosing just like the players and us fans. I believe he can get it done. Yes Kolb has limited time hear as a Cardinal, but the coaching staff still needs to find out what Kolb does best so they can build a scheme around him. On another note, while watching the Steelers play defense yesterday, I watched Polomalu beat the hell out of the QB in blitzes and thought what a great thought that Wilson after the defense learns the Horton scheme will punish QB’s on the oppisite side of the ball. I believe in the Cardinals period. In the words of John Macarthy “LETS GET IT ON”. Giants 10 Cardinals 24.

31. By Christykevin on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I hope we have coach Whiz several more if not more years then that. Best coach we have had since Gene Stallings. He will get things turned around. Idiots blaming whiz he is not the one on the field the ones on the field that are making $500k plus are the ones not doing there job. All he can do is teach them not hold there hand up to the players to follow through. We are lucky to have gotten him from Pittsburgh.

32. By Cert 33 on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I for one, have no problem with the ownership and middle management of the Cardinals. I also am very comfortable with the talent level of the players, especially the recent high draft picks and the signing of Kolb. Kolb is like getting Jake “the snake” Plummer in his prime before all the injuries. If you watch tape of Plummer and Kolb, they are very similar, with Kolb having a stronger arm. My problem is with Whiz, his “puppet” OC, and Horton. They are not up to the task at all, especially play calling. I wish that Bidwell would have signed Jeff Fisher to take over as HC in the off-season. We need a proven winner at this position instead of someone who was just “faking it”, riding Kurt Warner’s encore career performance and now is exposed for all to see. I am also tired of Whiz blaming his players afterwards on Mondays. He defintely needs to go. The Players and the Fans deserve better.

33. By Paddock on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I’m 40 yrs old and been a fan of the cardinals for 35 yrs. I’m not a football coach, but i’m starting to think our coaching staff is not making the changes needed to make us a winner. I dont know what happens in meetings and in practice from week to week but on game day I watch every game. After 3 games I see no reason to have Levi on the field along with Porter, Haggens, Feely, or the Punter. These are the Cardinals of old, play hard for most of the game and not finish–just like the super bowl. Thats coaching. Warner and a hand full of others made us winners and now we expect it, and given the Division there should be no reason not to make the playoffs. Whiz, how about taking some of the blame! You sound like a broken record, your better than that and so is your team. Get ur head out of ur ass and get it done!

34. By Phoenix Phantom on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I’m not sure what to make of the failed 3rd down conversions especially since a few of them came on 3rd & 1 and one time we gained 9 of those yards on 1st down. I was having internal fits each time they lined up for a critical one yard pickup. Who’s calling the plays in those situations because we were highly predictable and our O-line is not getting any push.

Last year Whiz said we didn’t need a QB and we all knew we needed a QB…This year he said we didn’t need a #2 WR and it’s apparent we need a #2 WR. I can’t understand this thinking since we passed on quite a few #2’s on the market and we had money to burn. It’s easy to stop us when there is no deep threat on the other side of the field and the TE aren’t going to do it because there is no deep threat. Doucet plays timid and had an opportunity to bowl over some defenders in the 2nd half but he went into a crouch before they got to him. Roberts just doesn’t seem to have it all quite down yet…

The same could be said for adding another pass rusher. During the 2nd half it seemed as the game went on the less impact the pass rush had.

You debated my statement that Hightower was unhappy and asked for a trade…If that’s the case and the Cardinals decided to trade Hightower, (which surprised me considering what they received in return) then someone missed the boat given Beanie’s health record. You can say hindsight is 20/20 however to this point, Beanie has not been reliable in the past and I wouldn’t be the 1st to say it.

I know players miss games here and there but I already knew on Thur. Beanie wasn’t going to play this Sunday especially since last year there were times he was “guaranteeing” he would play and then end up on the injury report on game day. I like Alphonso Smith but he isn’t the type of back that is going to break through for a yard when the box is stacked. Is it me or has Chester Taylor lost a step rather quickly? I’ve haven’t seen more dancing from a football player since Hines Ward was on DWTHS.

Kolb needs to get rid of the ball quicker or throw it away. I like his mental toughness but like Vick he’s going to suffer an injury sooner than later. Yesterday wasn’t his best game by far. Missing throws and running out of the pocket when he probably should have trusted his pocket. He was running when he should have thrown and throwing when he should have run. I saw a couple of times when he probably could’ve gotten good yardage or a 1st down with his legs. He lucked out on that throw to Fitz btw…

Please tell Keith once his man gets around him the play isn’t over. They should at least call the tackle eligible so once he’s standing around they can throw him the ball for some yardage because he has NO ONE around him after his man has blown past him. This should be a good indication that he’s doing something wrong. Levi Brown…nevermind and don’t get me started on Feeley (nice guy/no leg).

Why did we change out Graham? Zastudil constantly outkicks the coverage and this supposed hangtime of his is really nonexistant. Speaking of punt team the Seahawk’s gunners were running past our blockers on the edge all game long…Our guys barely had time to catch the ball…And A.J. Jefferson should have caught that beautiful pass from Peterson. Had he caught it, he would have been gone.

Overall a truly miserable performance from the offense as a whole, yet defense seems improved with the scaled down version. Maybe they should try it on offense as well.

Oh well, curious to hear what you have to say…

35. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Phoenix Phantom —

RE: What I have to say

Right now, unless it’s a direct question, I’ll leave the analysis to everyone else here. By everyone, good points are being made (and others that I think are off-base) but I don’t have debate in me right now.

36. By GW on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Coach Whiz your not in pittsburgh anymore i mean whats next call bradshaw,franco,lambert,swann im sure they are not busy.ever since the SB run and haley,warner left coach have been trying to duplicate the steelers.oh i forgot you can call the (bus) bettis too

37. By Scott H on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Though I have been one of his biggest fans so far, Kolb is not getting any free passes from me. He did not play well yesterday. Period. Two critical drives killed by INT’s…assuming that WR’s did not run the wrong patterns or anything, that is on him. He seems like the kind of guy who will take the responsibility for that and work on getting better.

But Kolb did NOT lose this game all by himself. The culprits are many. No Beanie Wells. Missed FG’s. Nothing from the special teams. Defense letting Jackson connect on critical 3rd and long plays. NO ONE else on offense besides Fitz stepping up tp make a damn play. Defense not coming up with the ball when the ball was on the ground. This was a pretty complete team loss. And it pisses me off because of it being a division game against a team we should beat.

Sorry to say but this team just does not look good enough. Even in the sorry NFC West, this team just doesn’t look good enough. I’d like to know what all those people who thought this team had a “great” off-season are thinking now. They are horrible on the O-line. They are weak in the secondary. These young WR’s are not making plays, therefore, not taking the pressure off Fitz. With Beanie already banged up and Hightower gone, we are seriously lacking in the offensive back-field.

Granted, with the Fitz contract getting done and what we needed to do to get Kolb here to fill the void at QB, this team wasn’t gonna be able to take care of every need at every position. But they did not do enough and we’re seeing that now. I’m not just piling on with doom and gloom after a loss, either. Fact is, while we could easily be 3-0 right now, we could just as easily be 0-3. Already lost two games we should have won. Unfortunately, right now it’s hard to see them winning two games that probably should be losses. That is gonna cost this team this year.

38. By Ben on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I just wish Whiz would call as many run plays as he did on Sunday when Beannie is playing.

Boggles my mind Whiz’s playcalling.

It always seems like in the 4th quarter he NEVER goes with a running play. Just pass pass pass pass pass.

Just give beannie 30 carries next week and some of those in the 4th and I would be happy.

But who cares what I think, at this point I am losing enthusiasm. Whiz needs to get his OC to call the game better.

39. By Luke on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I’m a very frustrated Cards fan from Australia. Frustrated because my boy Ben Graham has been replaced with a punter that is clearly not up to the job. I know he didn’t have the greatest year last year, but I thought with our offense that was struggling to get yards he managed to give our defense some breathing room with his accuracy, something Zastudil does not seem to have. And I’m frustrated because we again have an offense that can’t get yardage when the game is on the line, although I think that will improve as the season rolls on. Anyway my question is this, do you think Jay Feeley may be under a bit of pressure to keep his job? it’s not too often kickers survive after 3 FG misses in 3 games, and considering the 2 against the Seahawks cost us the game. Keep up the good work Darren.

40. By emm7777 on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

CNelson, you need to chill out. Everyone that is posting here is a true Cardinals fan. I really doubt they would be wasting their time with this otherwise.

People are right, Whiz should not be getting a free pass. The excuses of people not executing or a few miscommunications here and there is getting old to us fans, imagine how the players must feel? That is no way to build comradery. Even though it is, in the end, meaningless, I would just really like to hear Whiz say “My bad”.

41. By drummer-1 on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

@Cnelson

Great post, I couldn’t agree with you more.. I love this team but i wouldn’t mind if they moved to Cali. At least they’ll get support from true fans..We win one game and things are good we’ll win 10- 11 games lost a game or 2, we are the worst team in the world coaches cant coach, players are too old..the fan base here really sucks.. I only come on to read all the whinny comments and then make fun of them…but i agree with your post alot.. it’s not all on Whiz sometimes the players have to exacute the play to make it work..

42. By mutz on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

the cards are a good team but they have to learn to execute the simple plays. we have plenty of receives who can play when fitz is manned by 2. come on guys. do something with your offense.
    pliiiiiiiiiizzzzz…. get another running back. you have no depth at all. play action becomes effective with good running game.

43. By wnycardfan on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I’ve followed the team for 35 years, so I feel I can comfortably whine and complain about them. When i tell people this is my favorite team, I either get laughed at or the question “for real, why?” I think most of you know why either of those two reactions come up. I wouldn’t whine and complain when they play poor with no apparent reason, no apparent improvements etc….if i wasn’t a fan (as others are). As i said before, they have some talent, then why can’t they play like other teams? EVEN if they lose, at least you’d see sparks. NOTHING here. If not having ONE player (wells) on the field is the excuse for losing then we are really screwed up. Or the famous, “we had to travel to the east, so its not bad when we lose” BS. Good teams will at least be competitive. OKAY they lost by one point. Its still a loss. Its still expected, by everyone, that their chances of winning when traveling (almost anywhere) is very low. WHY WHY WHY???? Now its “well it was the seahawks at home and jackson knows the OC”. Say what??? They suck and we lost to them. I don’t preach that I have the solution, all I’m saying is look at the other 32 teams in NFL, esp over the last few years, and other than the SB season (9-7 record) and the next season (10-6) the cards have stunk for most of those years. yeah its the NFL and its hard and so forth, but that’s what coaches and players get paid the big bucks. Fans DO deserve better. I’ve stopped watching. I’ll check internet throughout the game to see if there is hope, but now a days, tend to wait until its all over just to see final score. I can’t keep getting so hyped only to have hopes dashed.

44. By cards62 on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Like most of you I am not a happy camper. No give me wins in this league, but we needed to start 3-0 this year and we should have. I definitely pointed out our bad or lack of moves in the offseason as did others so I understand the frustration and will submit my resume when Rod Graves is fired.

Our talent is thin. If we lose a Toler, D. Washington, B. Wells or any other key players it is going to show up quickly.

I think if Beanie Wells or Tim Hightower plays in this game we will win this game.

I think if we have a 2nd receiver who can get open we win this game. I am just not seeing our receivers getting open. Watched a receiver from Baltimore I have never heard of before torch the Rams for 3 touchdowns and Roberts does nothing and for a second year in a row preseason pass catcher disappears when regular season starts. Remember Q his rookie year?

Kolb definitely did not have a good game, but usually our OL once again did not do a good job and receivers are not getting open.

Our defense is what it is. Can not stop the run and young corners that are learning, but guys they only gave up 13 points and several times they did get Seattle off the field quickly. This loss is definitely on our offense and FG kicker.

C. Campbell started out like a monster, but Seattle found a way to contain him and DD. DE for Seattle Clemons started well and finished great and we did nothing to stop him. Can someone tell me why ? Why did Beanie say he was ready to go, but did not play especially with no LSH? Why did Jefferson play so far off the receivers?

I am glad we are competitive and major improvement on our penalties. Last year after preseason I knew our season was over. We definitely have holes on our team, but if we can stay healthy and develop some players I still think we will win our division. My biggest worry is the 49ers defense. Will we be able to play with them?

Go Cards beat Giants

45. By Scharf on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Ummm, am I the only one that knows that Whiz is in fact NOT calling the plays anymore? We actually have an offensive coordinator now guys. I for one believe that if both sides of the team show up on Sunday we will win, we can’t win with only one side of the ball showing up. So far the trend is Offense, Offense, Defense. Let’s hope it’s the TEAM that plays this weekend.

46. By SeeingRed on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Haven’t posted in awhile and frankly my annoyance with this team has been at a simmer…maybe since the trade of Tim Hightower. I won’t go into that right now.
    All I know is that it’s 3 games into the season and to me, like to everyone else it looks and smells just like 2010. The excuses are back, all the lame cliche’s are back, the lethargic style of play is back…even Kent Somer’s in his article today said as much.
    All reasonable fans understood there would be some growing pains with all the new parts etc but heck Washington nearly turned over their entire roster and they are ballin’-at least more than we are…I don’t even know why I’m surprised since we have many of the same players/coaches from last year and we have the same results. I don’t know who or what’s to blame but i know that I’m so sick of hearing the same excuses that I didn’t even bother listening to the post game which I normally do because hearing fellow fans rant makes me feel better since they are speaking for most of us out here.
    Don’t get me wrong, I still believe in coach Whiz but this is getting really really old watching the Cards struggle against the weakest division in the NFL. Losing to the gum-chomping, weasel of a coach in Seattle and seeing former Cards get their payback (Branch, TH and probably Rolle this weekend) just really chaps my backside

47. By This Guy on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Only thing that made me smile this weekend was that Vick got hurt. Now if we can trade Kolb back and get DRC and Asomugha since we’ll be in the run for Luck….. I mean honestly how do we lose to the Hawks? This team never ceases to surprise me. We lose to very easy teams them when the seasons about over, we beat a contender. I bet we beat the Ravens. I’m not saying the season is over, but it looks like another battle for 7-9, this crap is disgusting me

48. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Just my two cents. I think the defense played a lot better than the first two games. We did not play well on offense or special teams. 3 phases to the game and you have to play all 3 well in order to have a chance at winning. The one thing that lingered with me was having the feeling that we got out coached. The Seahawks made adjustments. Just enough to pull out the game. I did not see that with out team.That was the most disappointing thing I noticed. Offensively, yes we missed Beanie Baby. Sooner or later someone needs to pull the pacifiyer out of his mouth and have him man up. There is definately a need for another reciever to step up and take some of the pressure off Fitz, but if the O-line can not maintain there blocks, it will be a long season for us. I watch a lot of football, from Pop Warner to High School to College to Pro’s. The play in the NFL this is is really sloppy. Not just our team is suffering, all 32 teams are. We have plenty of time to correct our issues. Only 1 game out of 1st place in the NFC West. Our focus should be on fixing what we can this week and getting a “W” against the Giants. I’m not crazy about Whiz or Horton by no means. Actually, I hold them resposible for this mess. But at the same time, I know they are working hard to fix it. I’m a coach and I know “NO COACH LIKES TO LOSE” I see improvement in this team even though that game truly SUCKED. This week its the Giants and in the league its “Any Given Sunday” anyone can win. Spoken like a true coach, its one game at a time. Now lets game plan for NY. I’m out.

49. By AZ Fan in WA on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

I miss Larry Centers. Whatever happened to that guy? Favorite Cardinal ever.

50. By bluepitt on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Hay D,
    Just remember, I was saying all this before it happend. The fix is simple! So simple it hurts! When we were broken in 08 What did Whiz do? Ill tell you what he did! He made the team hit in the rain on Christmas day! He was strong demanding and was not going to take the crap! He was from the STEEEEEELERZZZ!!!!

What has he done cince? Given a ton of Vet days off, Cut 2 adays, Decided to sit Wells during a division game! (all of you think it was Beanie, It was not it was Whiz) Let Graves get rid of our “Core Players” He has become a Players Coach, Because he was a player! Look at all the greats Landury, Lumbardi, Bilacheck, bilick, That EX dude from the Colts, Heck even Jimmy Johnson NON PLAYERS!!!! Just sayn!!

Its funny how now people are bringing up the Play calling, Passing, Core players, and so on.. When I have been geting nutn but Grief for it because I was the first to call it out in 09-10, 10-11 and now!!!!!!!

Am I fibing Darren?
    P.S> You are Da Man Darren, Dont tell any one I said it!!!!!!

51. By brad oneill on Sep 26, 2011 | Reply

Come on kids, its not like the seattle qb walked all over us they only scored 13 points. Kolb had an off game, it happens. whoever that last running back was should move up the depth chart he looked great. Our team is just starting to gel, they aren;t there yet but they will get there. Darren Colledge has looked great, LEvi Brown looked better than he has looked in the past.

We may suck this year, but the team is making moves. I liked the way they had Darnell Docket working at what he does best instead of just eating blockers. I loved the way Tavaris Jackson couldn’t get in sink despite a 3 or four man rush. I was happy with the ground game once chester taylor sat, jay feeley is a good kicker those were tough field goals he missed, Things aren’t that bad, we are in these games and I don’t believe we are going to repeat last years performance.

If we beat the giants all will be right in the world again.

52. By Chris on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

What kills me is how did the Odds makers know?
    The Cardinals -3?
    If the offense was clicking at all, they should have won that game by 10-17 points easily.
    This is the Seahawks who look like a expansion team, after all.
    Great job by the defense but what kind of inside information did the odds makers have to put the spread at -3?
    After the last two weeks, nobody who is rational could expect the Cardinals would only put up 10 points.

53. By Aussie Cardinal on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Honestly after watching this game, we need to address the Tackle Position soon, before it costs us Kolb. Levi can be considered a bust now, he has had his chance to perform, and has failed.
    The Pass rush position too. I like our young Linebackers, but they just aren’t getting the reps they deserve. I’d like to see Bradley, Schofield, Acho and Washington get more reps to be able to develop. These two positions should be within Round 1 taken.

One thing that annoys me aswell is that Dockett is playing End, when he is clearly one of the top Tackles in the league. Yes blah blah Scheme wise its a 3-4, but he either needs t transit or we need to find a fit for him. Calais performed well on the weekend, and hopefully keeps this up.

If Beanie does not perform this season or sustains more injury, we need to cut/trade him. The camp Reports of Ryan Williams are encouraging, and while he suffered the 2nd round RB curse, he seems to be the future once he is healthy.

A bonafied #2 reciever must develop within this season in order to allow Fitz less double coverage and himself more ball.

54. By Aussie Cardinal on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

At this point (while still very early)
    What direction can you see the Cardinals going in the 2012 draft?

55. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Luke —

RE: Feely

I think Jay earned a little leeway from what he did last year. But obviously, the leash gets shorter with every miss. You have to make the kicks in this league.

56. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Aussie —

RE: Draft

Comon AC, there is plenty of time to get to that.

57. By joe67 on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Man, just a couple weeks ago, Horton was the greatest on earth. Gonna take care of everything. Just a couple years ago Whiz was the 2nd coming. Now with a new qb, lots of changes, and a 1-2 record, the team stinks, Horton is stupid and Wiz needs to go. The fickle fans of the NFL, and the cards in particular. I have 50 years of frustration built up, but this is as close as we have been to something good, and a good org in a long long time. Maybe ever.
    Stay the course. Things are going to get better.
    What about the Falcons. Picked by many to win the S B and they are 1-2, losing to the bears (in a blowout) and now to the Bucs. Wonder what they are hearing around there.
    We CAN beat the Giants, Vikings, and Pitts. I agree with we have to play better, but get off Kevin and Wiz’s back!!!!!!

58. By tygrbass on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

they are really not that far off here guys everyone keeps saying we are one good punt return away from being 0-3 we are actually 2 mistakes away from being 3-0 which is not bad with a new qb a new defensive scheme and rookies have to start because of injury set backs.. yes we are not dominating these games like we did with kurt but he wasn’t the only solid piece to the puzzle that we lost back then. we need a real threat at receiver other than larry and that will solve alot of our problems on offense and finally convert some 3rd downs..i really don’t understand why every one thinks we are in some kind of crisis here.. cardinals will win the NFC WEST THIS YEAR take it to the bank

59. By clssylssy on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

I wonder how many of the fan critics have ever been to a game at Qwest field?
    Certainly whoever had the idea that the Redskins were one of our easiest road games knew nothing about how the skins were playing this year or about the loyalty and passion of their fans…much like Seattle fans. Our fan base…using the term losing…is pathetic and an embarrassment. I think people tend to forget that everybody has a boss and so to hang all the sins and mistakes on Coach Whisenhunt is not only ignorant but shows a real lack of understanding about the business of the NFL. I was at games when Kurt Warner totally bombed, had a bad day, was boo-ed by his “fans” and we lost…at home! I think he was a great talent but it was the people around him to breath life into his “second coming”. He also hit the door with a year left on his contract. It’s hard to watch our former players having success elsewhere without wondering “what if” we had kept them, Hightower, Rikers, Bolton,Dansby, etc., etc. That’s all mute. We must move forward. This is only game four, we’ve only lost 2, so I would say to all the nay-sayers…take a pill and decide who’s side your on. If you can only see negatives with the Cards then move on and grace some other team with your presence. Be a part of the solution or BE GONE! RISE UP RED SEA! WE DO THIS TOGETHER! GO CARDS!

60. By joez on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

adrian wilson is a thing of the past, get him out of the package. BOOOOO!!!
    A-Dud, Walk away, give the team a chance to get better.

61. By Tx Cards fan on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Can we please stop saying the defense did good or was impressive against the Seahawks. They are 31st in total offense. Also they start two rookie offensive linemen. You could take the 33 yards that M. Lynch rushed for against the 49ers and the 11 yards he had against the Steelers and add it together and it’s not even close to the 73 he had against the Cardinals. The Seahawks never should have got more than a Field goal. There is nothing positive that happened against the Seahawks (unless you want to count us taking the Seahawks out of the Andrew Luck sweepstakes). This was a game they should have pounded them and went to 2-1 before the tough part of the season starts. The defense should feel just as bad about this game as they did giving up over 400 yards passing to a rookie. I guess not have an offseason hurt this team much more than anyone thought. This team is far behind what I expected I would say 6 to 7 wins is the high point not the 9 to 10 I was thinking. I hope things can come around and I hope Whis gets one more year (after this) to try and get things right because I like him and think he can be good for the Cardinals. I’m just not sure how patient the mob will be.

62. By Tx Cards fan on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

@ bluepitt

I couldn’t agree more. Coaches need to be Coaches. I miss Haley bad he was the Bad cop to Whis Good cop.

63. By BIIRDISTHEWORD on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

…just frustrating when you see this team has potential..and they let games like the last 2 slip…maybe this will be be a wake up call…

64. By Eric on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

@cissyissy, what is pathetic and an embarrassment is your knowledge of true Cards fans. You clearly, having read many of your posts, have no clue what you are talking about.

65. By former season ticket holder on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Remember, this loss was against one of the 3 worse teams in the NFL. This hurts their chance at Luck for QB and the number one draft choice.
    I remember hearing that we (the Cards) could be 3 and 0 by the time the Giants get here.

66. By clssylssy on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Eric:
    I’m curious as to what you think a “true Card fan” should be…a bandwagoner? or somebody who, through good and bad, stays proud of the Cards, and recognizes that every team has good years and bad years and many in the NFL NEVER get to the playoffs or Superbowl but non-the-less continue to support the team. I have been a season ticket holder and Card fan since moving to the valley sweated through many a defeat at Sun Devil Stadium as well as reveled in the glory at U of Phoenix Cardinal Stadium. I have friends throughout the NFL who are true fans to their teams and to hear our “fans” trash our team, the coach, and everything Red, week after week makes me wonder why they bother and don’t support a team they DO respect. Just saying…please enlighten me!

67. By bluepitt on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

@Tx Cards fan,
    It is kind of werd how that works. I took a long look at the Coaches who are at the top of the win chain (all non EX NFL players), and they all have EX players as the coaches who are closest to the players, while they keep a distance. kind of like keeping the players wondering. We do need Todd! He would go against Whiz if needed! And he would get in the players Asses if needed!

68. By Eric on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

@cissy, a true fan understands the dynamics that run a team: the owner, the GM, and the head coach. I have been a fan of this team since Neil Lomax was taking snaps in St. Louis, so please spare me the dramatics. Of course I support my team, but I expect nothing short of the very best when putting a product out on the field that is competitive. Clearly, we are still missing the mark on that point. We are trying to emulate what they have in Pittsburg minus a few important thing, poor drafting, poor coaching, and the failure in acquiring free agents that are productive and maintaining the core of the team. See ya on Sunday.

69. By TucsonTim on Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Cnelson –

How many months have T Jackson and C Newton had with their new teams? Real fans bring the heat to their teams when they aren’t performing. We pay alot to watch this crap and we have every right to call out the bad play calling, the nonexistent game plan, the old slow line backers, and the overpaid loud mouth defensive lineman. You want more years of the same ole cardinals or would you like a relevant franchise. I say step up the pressure. We can’t ask the tough questions that would be asked of Whiz in Philly, or DC or NYC, but we can keep posting. We want to see performance not listen to excuses.

70. By cardsfan1225 on Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

What the crap? All these negative vibes, we’re heading for our 4th game and already you’re all ready to jump ship. 2 games where we could have won but didn’t, mistakes happen. This is only 1 loss in our divison, we can rebound and still the the Western Title. Do you think that the Patriots or Vikings thought they would loose? Do you think that their fans are ready to jump ship? They are just scratching their heads wondering what the heck happened. Well, so are we! But I believe that Coach and OUR TEAM will get their mistakes taken care of and rebound like we expect them to. Are you a fan only if they are winning, or except that every team faces challenges EVERY week and that you are a FAN NO MATTER WHAT! Well, I’m that fan and will back MY CARDS COME HELL OR HIGH WATERS!

71. By Kim on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

You can blame the coaches and the training staff, but when it comes down to it like any other job, if you can’t do it then you should be gone. It is up to those players to get out there and get it done… No leadership you say, that comes with confidence in the quarter back and ummmmm well as long as Kolb is in there there will be no confidence… He is afraid to thow the football, he is a wuse, I have said it before and will say it again, PUT SKELTON IN!!!!!