• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Fitz thinking pink, and makes everyone aware of it

Posted by Darren Urban on September 29, 2011 – 5:21 pm

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and the NFL takes up the cause in a big way. At the forefront, as usual, is Larry Fitzgerald, because of both his high-profile as a player and his unfortunate circumstances, given that his mother died of the disease when Fitz was still in college.

Fitzgerald, as mentioned yesterday, will donate $1,000 per reception he grabs and $10,000 per touchdown he scores in the Cards’ four October games (they have a bye Oct. 16). He was set to do a sit-down interview with the NFL Network after practice today talking about his involvement (which he did with me yesterday).

“I just feel privileged to be a part of it,” Fitzgerald said. “I am happy the NFL has done this and raised so much awareness. It gets so much publicity. Early detection is the key I believe, and this raises awareness so women get the mammograms and get checked. If we can save one mother, one sister, one daughter, I think the NFL is doing their part.”

The death of Carol Fitzgerald, not surprisingly, impacted Larry greatly. It’s been a theme in his life too. He decided to surprise a pair of breast cancer survivors with a trip to Hawaii during the Pro Bowl this past February, and it wasn’t lost on him that a “random” follower who won a Twitter contest for another Pro Bowl trip was also a cancer survivor.

“It’s hard for me all the time, every time I think of my mother,” Fitzgerald said. “I’m not the only one. (Assistant defensive backs coach) Deshea Townsend’s mom died of breast cancer. It’s around the league. I feel as though, in the position I am in and dealing with what I have dealt with, I need to take a leadership role.”

Tags: ,

18 Responses to “Fitz thinking pink, and makes everyone aware of it”

1. By Secret on Sep 29, 2011 | Reply

Wooooh! Are those pink jersey’s up for sale?

2. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 29, 2011 | Reply

While Fitz is commended for doing this in October for the ladies, September (with the 1 day left) is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month for the guys.
    Over 25,000 men die each year from this insidious disease and many, like taking annual breast exams, can be caught early enough with a doctor’s visit.

Sorry for the soapbox.

3. By cryanr on Sep 29, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Have you heard anything about the Cards being interested in Aaron Curry?

Off topic, I know.

4. By AZ Fan in WA on Sep 29, 2011 | Reply

I know Fitz is paid to play football, but its stuff like this in addition to his absolute commitment to improving that makes me so happy we paid this man to stick around. Our coaching staff seems to treat character as a as a key player attribute. Love it.

5. By scott023 on Sep 29, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Larry, there are people in this world that have that extra something. You are the leader of them. All by example, everytime. God Bless, and thanks again for your support to wake up everybody to beat a terrible disese. Any cancer is horrible, when it strikes a loved one, we all see just how fast it all can be taken. What a leader, you made me do all I can.

6. By Eazy E on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Fitz is my favorite player and this just adds to it.

7. By Eazy E on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

This is what the NFL does well with(9/11, Breast Cancer, etc.)

8. By ross on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Fitz is a great person.

9. By Dynosaur on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Larry and others on this team do things publicly, but I must believe they do things quietly as well.

How much good do they do for those less fortunate than they are. This is what the Spirit of America is all about.

Helping underpriveleged children, going to war, selling a car for a few dollars, furnishing the home of a single mother and I could go on and on and on.

Inspirational.

Darren, we should make a collection of these stories from the last many years and get them into the hands of our youth, give them heroes they can admire on the field and emulate off the field.

This has always been my team and with the character of all the players on the team (and I do mean all) this will always be my team.

Thanks Larry, thanks Adrian, thanks to all of you.

10. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Secret –

RE: Pink jersey

I’m not even sure that’s pink. That might be photoshopped.

11. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

cryanr –

RE: Curry

I was told there isn’t interest. He’s not a pass rusher, which is what they need.

12. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Hey Urban, Tyron was realeased by the colts, assuming the cards have no interest, what do u think about a possible pick up?

13. By D on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Any news on Haggans from that Yahoo story..he wouldn’t get suspended for that would he?

14. By B on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Any news in Beanie?

15. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

Rodgerscro –

RE: CBs

I think they like how CBs are progressing. And I’m not sure a 5-foot-9 CB makes sense in Ray Horton’s system.

16. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

D –

RE: Haggans

As I have said before, I don’t expect anything to happen to Haggans.

17. By Scott H on Sep 30, 2011 | Reply

This man is every bit as classy as he is talented. Having been through breast cancer with my own wife during the past year, Fitz’s committment to this cause just adds a whole new chapter to how much I love this guy. Hope he tears it up in October. Good for the Cardinals, good for the cause!

Larry, your mom would be proud. I know she’s looking down on you every Sunday.

18. By CardinalMOE on Oct 1, 2011 | Reply

Darren,…Cards need a speed receiver badly to help Fitz and give the team a legtimate deep threat and keep defenses honest,,,Early is better in the slot,,,Roberts still needs work,,,,,,Any trades looming….Can Demarco Simpson be that guy….or is a trade forthcoming……Thnx CardinalMOE