• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Giants aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on October 2, 2011 – 9:35 pm

Was it a fumble? Does it even matter?

This is the reality – Giants receiver Victor Cruz did an amazing job keep his feet after an initial hit by cornerback Michael Adams. He made a couple of moves back and forth. Then he “gave himself up” and then dropped the ball. The Cards picked it up. “I thought it was a fumble,” safety Kerry Rhodes said, and honestly, as I stood down on the sideline some 20 yards away, it looked that way to me. Giants quarterback Eli Manning admitted the Giants caught a break.

To me, I get the idea of being able to give yourself up, OK. But to me, you’ve got to catch and drop down immediately. If you’re not a QB, once you are running down the field, you should have to be touched down. If Cruz ended up pulling a Plaxico, so be it. It seems – based on reaction by NFL analysts around the league – the Cards indeed should have gotten the ball.

Watching the replay seems to make the call even more egregious than I originally thought.

Of course, as Larry Fitzgerald said, it shouldn’t have come to that and that’s completely true. The Cards aren’t the only team melting down with a lead Sunday. I was listening on the radio on the ride home about all the big lost leads and it was Dallas blowing one against Detroit and Philly choking against San Francisco. It doesn’t make it OK, but it happens.

The emotional swing from the time Beanie rumbled in for his third TD to the last incompletion to Fitz on fourth down was simply giant (pun intended). To be 2-2 going to winless Minnesota, compared to 1-3 …

Some thoughts about today:

– Beanie Wells said he isn’t even completely healthy. He sure looked healthy. He gets 138 yards and three touchdowns. He finally gets a big-carry game – 27 when it was all over. It was enough. It really should have been enough (although I won’t lie, I was hoping for the shotgun-quick draw to him on that final fourth down just to pick up the first down).

– The heave-it-up-to-Fitz-and-let-him-make-a-play worked giveth – on the 47-yard bomb to set up a TD – and it taketh away – on the Antrel Rolle interception. Although it did look like if Kevin Kolb had a little less air under the pass, I’m not sure Rolle would have gotten there. It was a very athletic play by Rolle. (Although Rolle said he “knew” that’s where he’d be headed the whole time.)

– Eli Manning has had some pretty good luck throwing into that one end zone at University of Phoenix Stadium.

– As usual, Jeremy Bridges brought a little bit of nasty to the field when he replaced Brandon Keith at right tackle. Keith hurt his right knee, but it will be interesting to see, even if/when Keith is OK if Bridges gets a chance to play more.

– The last sack Kolb took was on a screen, and coach Ken Whisenhunt said it was simply a four-man rush (which makes sense, because on a screen the linemen basically let the rushers go). “We should have gotten rid of it,” Whisenhunt said. To take a 10-yard sack there was a killer.

– Many people think Hakeem Nicks is one of the top receivers in the game. His numbers – 10 catches for 162 yards – seemed to show that. I know there is frustration with the cornerbacks, like Patrick Peterson on the last play, but Nicks made some Pro Bowl-esque plays.

– A.J. Jefferson was still returning kickoffs. I would guess that has more to do with LaRod Stephens-Howlings coming off the hand injury rather than feeling the Hyphen isn’t the best kick return man anymore.

– The vaunted running duo of Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs combined for 57 yards rushing on 21 carries. It’s hollow somewhat because of the Giants’ comeback, but it was a nice effort by the Cards’ rush defense.

– I thought Darnell Dockett played really well. Officially Dockett had two tackles for loss among his four tackles, but he drew a few holding penalties and was in the backfield most of the day (and another hold could have been called on the infamous non-fumble play. I thought Dockett was going to reach Manning on that play).

Well, everyone was talking about moving on. That sounds like a good idea. I still have a little Sunday left to not think about football.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

125 Responses to “Giants aftermath”

1. By freddie on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

darren, who was fitz yelling at on the side line during the fist half. thanks

2. By Gilbert on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

Listen man, I thought they put up a good fight, yeah mistakes were made, that’s what killed the ending, but for a team that has a lot of new players a new defensive scheme and a new qb, not to mention no offseason. We r asking for too many miracles. They r a way better improvement from last year. Kolb is moving the ball, scoring and throwing. We couldn’t say that last year. Check out the eagles loose with an elite qb I encourage all the fans like me to have patience with these group of guys and show ur support. Someone said that Rome did not fall in a day It took time. By the way the vikes

3. By Alex Mann on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

Im still fuming about the call. I agree with you about the “giving yourself up”. The game shouldn’t have come down to that but still. Arizona has 2 weeks to right their wrongs. Comon AZ. We’re better than last year.

4. By Kevin on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

Why not run the ball on the play where Kolb took the sack? After they were just short of the first down I was yelling at my TV, just run it, please — nothing fancy, just power it on the left side like you have all day. 2nd and 1, at that point there was plenty of time left (about 1:10-1:20 or so), you most likely make it and then you have a fresh set of downs, and even if you don’t make it, the worst that happens (as long as you don’t fumble) is maybe no gain or a 1-yard loss — and you still have 2 plays to get a yard or two. Instead with the sack, you either need a big play or 2 straight completions. The Cards had all the time they needed — over a minute with 2 timeouts, on the Giants’ 29 yard line. Running was still a very viable option (in fact, they had run the ball earlier in the drive.) It wasn’t desperation time yet — at least not until after the sack. While I would’ve called the last timeout on the 4th down play, I can see the rationale behind not doing so — both to save it and allow the team to use the middle of the field later, and to keep the defense off guard (although, obviously, the latter didn’t work). But I can’t forgive Kolb for taking that sack, and if they just run the ball there, that never would have happened to begin with.

5. By chevy on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

If Bridges keeps the starting job, we will at least have 80% of our line squared away. I will never think Levi is adequate at anything besides maybe playing guard. Although, I could see Levi at RT with Bridges manning the blindside. What do you think DU?

6. By Rick on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

Way to be optimistic but frankly we are tired of excuses and trying to sugar coat a bad loss. This is ridiculous and I think we all agree that Kevin Kolb is not the QB we thought he was. Lets try Barte or Skelton next week. Whats the worse that could happen that hasn`t already happened? We all know that we are going to give the vikes their first win anyway. Kolb is an over priced back up and up to this point has been producing like a back up qb. Common 2012 Draft!!!

7. By Mark on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

Everyone,
    I have few observations on this game and would like everyones input. First Kolb has shown very little pocket presence, he bails out of the pocket at any sign of pressure and seems afriad to get hit. I saw numerous open receivers if he would have hung in the pocket. I hope this is not a trend.
    Second the starting outside linebackers have one sack so far this season. I thought the Steeler/horton defensive system is to have the two rush linebackers to get to the Quarterback. Well both Haggens and Porter have not gotten it done and the sad part is that noone behind them is any better except maybe Schofield who cant figure out the scheme. Why must the cardinals/Whiz/Horton put a square peg in a round hole. Put CC as outside linebacker like Mario Willliams and use Carter in his place, or scrap the 3-4 and go back to 4-3 which your talent dictates. The cards have good defensive linemen but old or not talented enough outside linebackers.

8. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

1 win and 3 losses.
    Even in the weak NFC West, not where I expected to be.

Defense played well. Offense and play calling left things to be desired.
    Patience running out, getting close to calling it a season.

9. By Darren Urban on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

Freddie -

RE: Fitzgerald yelling

If I saw it correctly, it was RB coach Tommie Robinson.

10. By Darren Urban on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

Chevy -

RE: Bridges

I could see Bridges playing more. But I don’t know if they would move Levi back.

11. By D on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

It’s time to start Acho at OLB and keep Bridges at OT–holes on this team are affecting Kolb’s play-hopefully Michael B gives Whiz one more year with Kolb if this team finish 5-12 this year….need to draft a pass rusher…or OT

12. By Chuck 1 on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

A calamitous continuing collapse that should convince even the most confident Cards Kool Aid drinkers that this team won’t make the playoffs, let alone win the NFC West.

Allowing the Giants to score two touchdowns in the last five minutes speaks volumes about the Special Teams, Offense and Defense.

7-9 is gone. Let’s try to win six.

Maybe we can get Luck. Oh, I forgot. We bought a QB.

13. By John S on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

Again this week I see nothing written up about Kolb’s lack of performance. Who cares about the fumble or not fumble? How about we talk about the qb doing endless turns and spins and rollouts then throwing the ball away to the sidelines? How many downs have been wasted doing this? I’d like to know the stats on that. I was glad they finally called him for intentional grounding, its getting ridiculous. THAT is why the game was lost. WHY does he not see receivers sooner and GET RID of the ball? I blame all of this on bad coaching. I remember someone on this blog once wrote about doing the same things over and over with no result is the definition of insanity. The coach talks after the game and he acts angry that his way should work and that’s what they will do next week and its up to them to make it work. I used to think the guys calling him King Wiz were being extreme, but they were right. I gave Whiz the benefit of the doubt but Ive gotten where I cant stand the guy anymore. Another game with a 4th and 1 situation miffed on a pass. Beanie falls forward for 1 yard at his worst. Someone needs to walk over to Whiz (who IS calling the plays) and rip that play card out if his hand and throw it up into the crowd and hide it. Please.

14. By Brian R. on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

It seems like we cant pass the ball very well. There was 4 plays Kolb flushed himself out the pocket and came up with nothing. One of them drew an unfair intentional grounding. The refs need to step up on their game as far as officiating goes….. That holding on our offensive linemen hurt Beanie Wells run into the red zone and couldve scored a go ahead touchdown. The refs and the rules are hurting this football team for 3 straight weeks.

15. By Zack on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

Well summarized article.
    I am a Giants Fan and I think Cruz play at the end of error on part of officials. It should have been cardinals ball. And it is a tough loss. No doubt.

However It was cardinals defense in last 9 mins of cardinals which lost the game not 1 play by cruz. Even if it was a fumble and cardinals would have got the ball it would have been a gift from Cruz not the effort from Cardinal defense which would have cherished that fumble and take it in next game. Yes if ruling was correct Cardinals would have won the game. But with that kind of 4th quarter defensive performance you aint going to win close games.

I like cardinals being a Giants fan, especially like larry fitzgerald very much. Hope cardinals win next Game. Good Luck.

16. By brad oneill on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

the biggest issue i had with that game was the return to the 3rd and nothing pass. even though we were successful on it a time or two I hate that play. Run the ball. Hell even after the giants had used all their time outs and the cards were facing a 3rd and 4 i think i would have attempted a run. yes i know there were three minutes left and 30 or 40 seconds probably wouldnt matter but damn it. beanie can get us 4 especially when they are thinking pass.

Tough day for the team, It felt like we were losing even when we were ahead and by we I of course mean them but since i take so much pleasure in their victories the least I can do is sit with them when WE lose.

Kolb looked like he was playing with a concussion, he is panicking and running way to early, he isn’t playing sharp. on that 4th and 1 they should have either ran the play instantly or taken a time out. I know that is a tough situation but come on. a quick pitch to beanie and we have 4 more downs to work with.

Dockett looked amazing today, He was the dockett of old whatever shift horton made there was the right one. Dockett can get to the qb, forget the scheme to get our underachieving lbs on the qb and work on one that lets dockett go get him some qb.

17. By Brian R. on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

And I think Mark nailed it…… As far as Kevin Kolb goes he needs to find himself a rhythm. Comparing him to Kurt Warner he needs to get comfortable and needs more practice with this offense. The defense did ok today as far as stopping the run. The air is killing the Cardinals defensively – STILL.

18. By Thomas77 on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

Why is it that everytime the Cardinals have one of these types of games where they have extremely strange calls by the Ref’s, it’s always Jerome Bogers clan of merry men?

19. By AZ Fan in WA on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

What did you think of Bradley’s time on the field today? Also, is Roberts getting open? Thanks.

20. By This Guy on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

My biggest complaint is that the Cards are predictable on 3 and long. They’ve been blitzing on every third and long, but since our OLB’s suck, most of the times its converted. I would like to see Whiz show how pissed off he really is after a loss. I hate how (like someone else mentioned) he sugarcoats a loss. To lose 3 games in a row by a touchdown or less is just irritating. Then the niners beat the Eagle and now are up by 2 games. With a tough schedule coming up I believe our playoff hopes as early as it seems is just dwindling. I have a feeling Viking are gonna get their first win sadly. Now on the upside I believe that next year we will be better… I’m looking forward to it already

21. By Steve on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren: Do you see Kolbs hold on the starting job being in jeopardy if the Cards keep losing these types of games and he continues to regress? He looked good against Carolina and nobody questions his heart and toughness but his issues with pocket presence and skittishness seems to be getting worse by the game..

22. By Chad D. on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

Injuries?

23. By chevy on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

Like the idea about CC at LB. I had the same idea when Mario made the move. I never thought we had the front 7 personnel for the 3-4 anyway.

24. By R Robles on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

On the bright side were not getting are butts kicked right hopefully we will make a run after the bye Go Cards

25. By Ryan on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

I’m getting frusturated with Coach Whisenthunt and his staff. I realize he signed an extension last year, but there needs to be talk of him being on the “hot seat” at the end of this year if the Cardinals have another losing season. I realize there’s still a lot of football left to be played, but the team, particulary the defense has looked like it has regressed. Kolb is definitely an upgrade from what we had, but I’ve been a little dissapointed with his play through these first four games. Like I said, another losing season and Whisenhunt, in my opinion, needs to be on the hot seat next season.

26. By UC on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

So after the continuing public outcry, Kenny decides to run the ball more, AND STILL ends up with only 45.7% of the plays being rushing plays. I guess Beanie averaging 5.1 yards per carry isn’t sufficient to keep giving him the rock. Maybe 5.2 yards is the magic number, LOL. The sudden “flood” of rushing plays today did bring their season percentage of rushing plays to a whole 41.3% of their total plays run from scrimmage this year though. Woohoo!!!

“Smart, tough, disciplined football.” That’s what Kenny claimed he would be bringing to the Cards when he was hired. On a day when Beanie is plowing over people, the last two Cardinal possessions ended with failed passing plays on 3rd and 4, and 4th and 2, respectively.

How does that playcalling demonstrate smart, tough, OR disciplined football?

I’m glad most of the players overall did well this game, but I’m also glad the team lost. At this point, Kenny has run off the players he didn’t like because he lacks the professional integrity to work with them anyway; his passive-aggressive, CYA, released-through-third-party-local-media-mouthpiece complaints about the front office not spending money on free agents was blown out of the water this offseason; AND he has the QB he was wetting his pants to get.

AND STILL the Cards keep losing, and they keep losing because of playcalling that doesn’t begin to demonstrate smart, tough, disciplined football. That’s on the coaching, and the more they lose, the more glaring that fact becomes, and the closer Kenny comes to being replaced. I can’t wait, because this team SHOULD BE undefeated at this point.

HEY MICHAEL, HOW LONG IS THE KENNY JOB WATCH GOING TO LAST? HOW LONG DO WE HAVE TO KEEP DECIDING BETWEEN LAUGHING OR CRYING ABOUT HOW PATHETIC THE COACHING IS?

27. By Thomas on Oct 2, 2011 | Reply

RICH BARTEL RICH BARTEL RICH BARTEL!!! Lets do the QB Merry go Round and prep for next season.

28. By Dennis on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

I still think our defense is way to porous,anytime you score 27 points you should win. Anyway Darren tell me this…why is Horton sitting up in the booth calling plays? You don’t see Dick Labeau, Wade Phillips etc… up in the booth. They are down on the sideline talking with the players, making adjustments on the fly and getting a true pulse on what’s going on and what the players are seeing.

29. By clssylssy on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Anytime you have an obscure rule that is discretionary and unchallengeable it’s bad for everybody, especially when it changes the outcome of a game and even the team benefiting admits to not seeing it as called by the officials. “Egregious”…you got that right, love it! Nevertheless, we should have been able to man up and close this but choked. I can see progress with this team and am trying to be patient. At one point the commentator observed that we sure needed Darnell Dockett on the field but he was on the bench…what was that all about?

30. By Code on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren, do you think Kolb running for his life on most plays is problems with the offensive line? Or is he simply paranoid in the pocket? It could be a mixture of both I suppose, but maybe one is outweighing the other. I swear it seems every play he runs right or is 10 yards down field, trying to escape pressure and then throws the ball away.

Offensive line? Paranoid in the pocket? Inexperience in the system? What could it be? I would love to hear something from him that went more in depth about that. Obviously I’ll probably not get that, just a thought.

31. By Procen on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Deja Vu all over again for last three games, last minute choke. Offensive play calling is awful and the protection is terrible. Kolb is all over the field running for his life. I wish Kurt Warner is back!

32. By Matt in Philly on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

What continues to sting about these losses is that for three straight weeks Kevin Kolb has had >2 minutes to lead a game-winning drive and has failed all three times (he was actually given two chances against the Seahawks). His inabilities to stick in the pocket and make plays when it counts is exactly what the scouting report identified as his weaknesses. I’m a little worried here.

33. By Nick Pepe on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

I got nothing to say. On to Minnesota.

34. By Rocky on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Personal records???? Game hight yardage totals????? WE are in trouble cardinals nation… After 3 losses like this.. All Whiz can point to… Personal records??? PLEASEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

35. By Doug on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

I’m probably the only one, but I think the cards are right about where I expected them to be.

If you look at the changes that were made coming into the season. you’d have to expect that the first half was going to be a learning experience, so many changes on both offense and defense.

I think that the major frustration for everyone stems from the fact that they have been so close in every game.

Kolb – C’mon people, he is NOT a seasoned veteran, he’s a guy with tremendous potential, good skills, good mobility and VERY little actual playing time. Let’s give it a chance, I think he can do the job. This is his rookie year as a starter, he’s keeping us in the game, give it a little time.

At the beginning of the season I thought we’d be at the half-way mark before things came together, that still looks about right.

BTW – the defense is starting to gel I think, lot’s of positives there, looks to me like they’re getting better every game. I think there we’ll be less blown coverages as the newer guys get some time in. Yes, I am worried about safety speed a little…

36. By Dean on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Tough loss Sunday. Plenty of blame to go around (and kudos to the Giants). As a Cardinals’ fan living in Minnesota, I’ll be in my Fitz jersey at the Vikings game on Sunday. Please, let’s get one on the road so I don’t have to hear from all my friends here in Minnesota about how the Cards gave the Vikings their first victory.

37. By georgiebird on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

I didn’t blog after the Seahawk loss because “I didn’t want to “pile on” about all the Card mess-ups. I felt sorry for all of us.
    On the Giants’ game- You are 100% CORRECT about the Cruz’ fumble- BUT what did the Cards do to create that turnover-NOTHING. The real story is the Cardinals CAN’T seal the deal. Just like the SB, no one can make the BIG defensive play. I have the feeling if the Cards were ahead by 30-10 at the half, the Cards would still have found a way to lose.
    General impressions of the game-
    1) Beanie is quite a runner when he stays low
    2) Bartel is probably better than Kolb at this point
    Hang in there-

38. By David on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

The 2011 coaching staff for a better word sucks. Many of the players lack one very important thing, HEART. Many players on this team are not MADE OF THE RIGHT STUFF, so success will not be the one thing Cardinal fans will become familiar with this season. If WIZ and his staff can’t motivate any better than this, they all need to be fired. This team should be 4-0, not 1-3. WIZ needs to look at himself first for this train wreck of a season.

39. By reap37 on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

This is a group of players, although young, are much more talented than last year. So, what’s the problem with giving away wins at the very end. Come on man, it looks like they are finding ways to lose. It looks like coaching to me. At the beginning I looked at the schedule and saw about 10 wins. Now I see about 12 losses. Isn’t Jeff Fisher available?

40. By Rich on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

We have lost 14 of the last 20 regular season games we’ve played. At some point, fans will start questioning Whiz as a head coach. How many more losses before that starts to be a public sentiment?

41. By Chris B on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Offensive line was Ok. Stellar? No. Steelers-eque? Not even close. They’re not the best but definately not the worst. Kolb does bail way to early sometimes. And one early bail did cause him to miss an open #11.

Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush. Before anyone complains about the safeties or CBs look at the pass rush. I personally think our best pass rushers are our DL (Dockett, Campbell and Carter is showing some great things). We are 4-3 personel trying to switch to a 3-4. Until we get a pure pass rusher on the field at OLB, this won’t change. Every QB we’ve played has had all day to throw the ball. In a passing league where records have been shatter in 4 weeks, the Cards have lost by 7 points combined. Last year we lost by 30+ points how many times by week 4? Give credit where it is due. Silver lining, howver slight it might be.

That said: good teams find a way to win despite mistakes. Cards need to get there. We can’t look to the refs to bail us out.

Beanie ball looked awesome. Still waiting for that first home run though.

42. By wnycardfan on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

I hope Ken W gets used to that photo you have here, because that will more than likely be his regular 4th quarter look going forward. I hear some of you saying “be patient” new scheme, no off season work, etc… But as someone else noted better than I, have you looked at some ROOKIE coaches and ROOKIE QB’s??? Dalton playing like a vetern, Cam Newton, Harbuagh etc… WTH, we can’t do something like that??? Less than 60 seconds for 2 TD passes from a guy who sucked the whole game. Other teams have new players, new schemes, etc, so that is NO excuse. SANFRAN is 3-1, they have a sense of leadership and drive. This is a NEW coach to the NFL leading them. I’ll say this, DEF does look better, but same ole cards on finding a way to lose. Our pass def stinks like crazy, and our LB’s are medicore at best. OFF looks really bad now. KOLB, I think is still a good QB, but he is NOT performing well at all. Is that our OL or Him or coaching??? How can a few rookies or even 2nd year starter QB’s be looking/handling better than KOLB? The guys been in the NFL for 5 years. Wells looked great (can he stay healthy), our OL seems to be good at Running plays, we suck at passing plays. FITZ cannot be the only weapon. Those of you calling for a QB change already I think are a bit premature, BUT I think either KOLB will get hurt soon (4 sacks and running like crazy all the time) or he’ll continue to be ineffective and KEN will force someone in there by 10th game or so.
    As far as play calling/coaching, well, first 3 qtr’s seems to be good even though passing was worthless. 4th qtr, its like the turned their brains off. No TO when needed. Passing plays when we had 2nd and 3rd down after that first TD?? Didn’t run the ball to work the clock off. Then our final drive just plain crazy. What the heck are we doing????? Oh by the way, our punter SUCKS too. I can’t believe we got rid of Graham for this guy. One last thing, 11 penaliteis for 100+ yards?? Hey, did we practice this week or just wing it? As somoene else said, I echo big time, Giants gave us that game, and we lost it. Minnesota is really happy we are coming, because they won’t be in the basement any longer after our game with them. It will be another same ole cards game I am sure.

43. By steve on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

I have lost ‘the love’ for coach whisenhunt after this game— in fact I;m kind of hoping he gets fired and give Grimm a shot!!!! The man is just too calm!! I mean he probably has his priorties in order and football is just his job.. The problem I see is this — The Arizona Cardinals are a football franchise that is looked at as ‘unpopular’ and very low in importance in overall league ratings — kind of like the kid down the street that no one cares about…. That being said — and the problem I have with Whisenhunt is post-game news conference –why didn’t he slam the refs — make a stink!!! say it was some of the worst officiating he has ever seen!!! You may think what will this do??? Let’s cut to baseball –last night St.Louis for Phillies –Tony Larussa in the 4th inning bashed the umpire strike zone — claimed Cliff Lee was getting strikes that Carpenter was not…. announcer Bob Brenly agreed — later on it appeared that St. Louis got all the calls , especially a 3rd strike on Utley…. Let’s face it — you will get dumped on as long as you allow it to happen!!! 11 penalities! 2nd time this you that a Cardinal player was flagged for personal foul when the other time started the pushing!!) Yes this team stinks –especially the defense … but you know what – it would be nice to get a lucky win once in a while…… and let’s face it –if it was reversed and an Arizona would have made the same play as Victor Cruz –the Giants would have been rewarded the fumble!!!!

44. By louie on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

this sucks for 3 weeks in a row the cards only play 3 quarters, but alot of times you know where kolb is going to throw it too, he stares the reciver down. Also porter is done he is a waste of space. Kolb has to be able to read the matchups but he doesn’t and its frusterating. And some of the play calling is bad too.

45. By C on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

I think it’s silly to blame this loss on Kolb. Two things: I agree entirely with Mark (above). Joey Porter is a complete waste of space. I understand Schofield has had problems learning the defense, but having him learn on the field CAN’T be any worse than the way Porter is playing.

Secondly, Whiz needs to give up play-calling to a competent OC next year, or ownership needs to fire him. Ever since Whiz took over after Todd Haley left, the play-calling has been horrific. Why on earth (with Beanie running like a beast, and even Smith looking great) you can’t run the ball late in the game and shove the win down the Giant’s throat… I’m not sure anyone can answer that.

46. By CJ on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

As disappointing as this game was, I was actually mostly impressed. They ran the ball a lot and had a lot of possession time especially in the first half. There were good sustained drives and relatively few mistakes.. I do wish the offense could have capitalized better in the red zone but overall they did well. The defense played strong and hard for most of the game.

It’s just that they (both offense and defense) completely fell apart in the 4th quarter.

Kolb looks like he needs to get a bit more comfortable sitting in the pocket, but he’s taken some really big hits in the last few games so I understand why he’s a bit nervous. Other than that, I think that they are coming together fairly well. Regardless of our record, we still have a legitimate shot at the NFC West if we can beat San Francisco both times this year.

47. By MIKE G on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren – Another tough loss for the Cards. They let another lead slip away 10 points with five minutes and change to play. The defense has not been able to make the key plays when it matters. Another game where Eli had 40 throws and we only had one sack. The inability to get consistent pressure is really hurting our secondary. Peterson and Jefferson just wont hold up if this continues. I thought Beanie ran great. He is our best player on offense and we must continue to feature him. Hopefully his health will hold up. I thought Kolb had a rough game –2 turnovers, shaky pocket presence and the inabilty to get TD’s in the red zone early on hurt us. He had a running game to support him but was not able to make key plays in the pass game when it mattered. The sack that he took at the end on the screen play was a real killer! When you give up 2 TD’s in the 4th Qtr in under a minute, have 11 penalties, and struggle in the red zone it is tough to win. I picked the Cards for 8-8 before the season–I hope we can get there. Right now the defense is hurting when it comes to confidence as evident in that they dont know how to play with a lead.
    they give up to many big plays in a short amount of time. What did you think of Whiz not using a timeout before the 4th down call at the end of the game????

48. By cooldaddy79 on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

No Matter What…. i still think Cards are the team.Wells You are a BEAST! I knew you had the talent, iwas just waiting to see and it happened. Kolb, Learn to be patient in poket. I think you are the man for this team. 1-3 now, next,2-3,3-3,4-3,5-3,6-3,7-3,8-3,9-3,10-3 ect…Just learn from your loses, keep movin.

49. By Cert 33 on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

The usual absolutely horrible 4th quarter play calling. Whisenhunt appears more and more to be another Bill Callahan. Also as usual, great defense until the 4th quarter. Play calling quite bad here as well. Bidwell needs to get ahold of Jeff Fisher before another team does. Remember, we are only a Patrick Peterson (what a fantastic #1 pick!) individual effort on a punt return from being 0-4. Whiz is approximately 29-18 with Kurt Warner and about 9-19 without (so far). Sounds a lot like the Bill Callahan- Rich Gannon deal in Oakland. Everyone thought Callahan was a genius until Gannon retired. Then they they found out he was so inept that he couldn’t even win on the college level in Nebraska. Looking like the same thing here to me. Al Davis was a little quicker to figure it out than Bidwell.

50. By Jim in Missouri on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I agree it shouldn’t have come to that non-fumble play and I’m still not big on conspiracies, but let me throw a couple of hypotheticals at you …

1) If that non-fumble play was happening when the Cardinals were on offense and the Giants on defense, and it was Early Doucet who slipped down, then lost the ball and the Giants recovered, what do you think the call is?

2) If instead of losing the ball after slipping down, what do you think the call would have been if Cruz got back up and ran into the end zone without being touched? Do you think the call would have been that he “gave himself up” and was down?

I think no matter the circumstances, that play would have been called in the Giants’ favor, and it makes me sick.

51. By TucsonTim on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

I feel like we are close. We made some bad coaching decisions with clock management in both halfs and Hortons 4-2-5 defense using Porter essentially as a pass rushing DE (ergo NO PASS rush) during the Giants come back cost us the game.

We played a really good Giants team and the players deserved to win that game, but we haven’t faced a QB like Manning. Got to give him credit for getting the job done.

52. By DCG on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

It is apparent that Kurt Warner made Wiz look good. Our refusal to recognize the inability of Levi Brown and Joey Porter is impacting the play of everyone. The mystery of Levi in the the Pro Bowl deepens every week. Porter contributes nothing on the field. It is long past time to sit these two and give the team a chance. Andre Roberts is where? There was a Housler sighting, give the kids a chance Wiz!

53. By Dhann on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

If history shows us anything, it’s that no lead is safe with the Cardinals. Guess what? The Vikings are winless and the big red machine will visit them next week. Guess what? The Cardinals are a great cure for winlessness, the Vikings will pick up their first win next week. I’m getting reminiscent of Dennis Green’s last year when we won the first game and then rattled off eight straight losses. Then there were a few more wins mixed in, enough to get us out of the top draft picks. Sometimes I just wish this team would implode and get that number one pick in the draft. Of course, I’m sure the Cardinals would draft someone like JaMarcus Russell. I’m not impressed with Kolb, he’s not a winner.

54. By BIG RED 66 on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Whisenhunt needs to be fired!! No one is buyinh into his system and he alway has lame excuses for the collapse. It is him, never heard him say it was his play calling ot scheme which sucks. 4-12 season at best. I bet Larry wishes he didn’t resign now with bunch of losers. No heart and our offesnsive play calling is a joke. Don’t give the ball to Beanie when you need a 1st down-brillant way to lose a game WHiz n Punt.

55. By TucsonTim on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

I forgot: And learning to execute a screen pass. A screen pass at that time with our track record…really!?

56. By TucsonTim on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

One more thing. Take all of the black jersies to the middle of the practice field and burn them. Seriously. It will change everyone’s mood instantly.

57. By joe67 on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

I knew some of you would start hollering for a qb change. He won’t get better setting on the bench. The announcers and some of you are saying stay in the pocket longer. We have one of the worst O-lines in the league. Would any of you want to stand in there? We all new there would be growing pains. If this team hangs togerher we are only going to get better. We have holes, we all new that. The division is still there for the taking. Every team left on the schedule is beatable, with the possible exceptions of Ravens and Eagles. We are far from being dead!

Darren your reports are just great, and your honesty is appreciated.Keep up the great work.

58. By Eric Randall on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Kolb is an overpriced backup?????? Is this guy serious or just a typical moron?

59. By cards62 on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

I live in Tennessee Titans Country and they are 3 -1 with less talent than us, and a rookie coach.

Very frustrating offense can not score when they need to and defense can not stop anyone when they need to. Defense playing well for 2 weeks in a row and then they just stop playing. I think Hakeem Nicks had more yards in this game than he did all year.

I was impressed with Jefferson preseason and start of the season, but he seems to be getting worse and worse. I was impressed with Kolb the first 2 games but he seems to be getting worse and worse.

I think we can see that Patrick Peterson is a CB and not a safety but just like DRC he seems to have a problem focusing for an entire game, maybe something to do with scoring a 9 on the W test.

Why are our safeties never in position to help our cornerbacks in obvious passing situations?

Beanie is running like a beast and our defense takes the series off and lets the Giants march 80 yards and score, so once again we run on first down 3 yards and pass, pass punt. Why not say Beanie oline we are a running team and you have done it all game so this is your game to win or lose.

Kolb is still young and will make mistakes, but I would like to see Kolb start next week but put in Bartel if he struggles. Bartel looked very good in the preseason, but makes some very dumb (Brett Farve , Tony Romo passes).

I guess Donovan McNabb will think he has found the fountain of youth after playing our defense next Sunday.

I would fire Graves this year and give Whisenhunt one more year.
    Cardinals draft and free agencies needs for 2012.

Andrew Luck – Can not pass on a franchise QB no matter who you have on roster,

Darren thank you for the article on Housler. Heap and King are good additions, but I hope Housler does get to play some this year. He reminds me of a Jason Witten or Dallas Clark so I am excited to see if he can get open and play like them in games that count.

Go Cards – How many more days until opening season 2012?

60. By joe67 on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    Did Schofield play yesterday?? I don’t think I heard his name one time on TV. We sure need him.

61. By cards62 on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

oops I meant 2 out of our 5 needs.

Fire Graves

Go Cards

62. By Chuck 1 on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

First, Kolb critics: He has only started 11 games in the NFL. Let’s give him this season to determine if he is the solution. Now is not the time to start Bartel or Skelton. Wait until Kolb is injured (which will happen at some point with the poor protection).

Second, the defense: We all know (or, should know) that the OLBs are inadequate to say the least. Maybe Keim, the Scouting Department and Graves will make some wise decisions next FA and draft cycle.

63. By DontTakeLoses on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Gut wrenching:
    …but after watching the video, unreal how many good plays we made and how much better Kolb can (and will, imho) get. Same with the D.

Darkest b4 dawn, i know: yada yada yada. But I still love these guys…I’ll be backing my Cards. If any players are reading, we got your back! Think it was hard on the fans, imagine how the players feel. What doesn’t break you makes you strong.

64. By Darren Urban on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Az fan –

RE: Bradley/Roberts

At this point, Bradley isn’t making much of an impact. I don’t know about Roberts — I wasn’t watching closely enough.

65. By Darren Urban on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Steve –

RE: Kolb

I don’t see them benching him, no.

66. By Darren Urban on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Chad D –

RE: Injuries

Other than Keith, no player got hurt and didn’t return.

67. By Darren Urban on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Dennis –

RE: Horton in the booth

As I have said before, it’s about how each coordinator is comfortable doing the job. Here is a link to his explanation: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2011/08/25/hortons-place-will-be-upstairs/

68. By Darren Urban on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Code –

RE: Kolb movement

I do think it’s a combination. One of the concerns about Kolb in Philly was that he wasn’t comfortable enough in the pocket. Is it fixable? Obviously, the hope is yes as they go forward and he learns more about the offense.

69. By Darren Urban on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

joe67 –

RE: Schofield

He played a little on defense and on special teams.

70. By AZCARDKIDINJAX on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren

If I’m not mistaken didn’t Marvin Harrison just lay down then get up and run for a TD in a playoff game against the Broncos. Does this mean they got it wrong!!!!!!

71. By Eric Randall on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Vince Manuwai, Max Starks, Leonard Davis, Shawn Andrews—-OL still available last time I checked.
    Patrick Peterson getting beat by top ranked receivers…..He needs more time….Cards need to pick up veteran CB in the meantime…One that can defense passes..If they were defensing passes and allowing Kolb a little more time in pocket this year the Cards would be 4-0…3 games with a combined loss of what a single touchdown…Only a couple areas need addressed and Kolb is not one of them…Kolb is the QB the Cards have needed since Warners retirement.

72. By Eric Randall on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

another high profile receiver wouldnt hurt either…..Would alleviate the constant double coverage of Fitz…..

73. By Austin on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

WOW,
    I can’t believe how many “cards fans” are so quick to tear apart the team they are supposed to love. Nobody is more dissapointed in them than me but lets give them a chance to correct themselves. We haven’t been beat by anybody this season but ourselves, and that is a very fixable problem!!!!!!!!
    GO CARDS!!!!

74. By Eric Randall on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

If my mind serves me correctly; Housler did play yesterday CARDS62…I wonder if the people making these posts even watch the games….???????

75. By SteveDCO on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

1. The issue isn’t the 3-4 or even Porter and Haggens. The issue is lack of depth across the entire D. Acho and Schofield aren’t taking enough reps from the starters. Holliday and Eason are massive drop offs from Calais and Darnell. Carter is the only solid backup we have.

2. The defense is doing their job! How many times can they be expected to bail out the offense.

3. Kolb is playing like a guy with 11 starts (or whatever his number is). He gets spooked out of the pocket and with our O-line that is a bad place to be.

4. Kolb is locked into Early and the quick slants too often. This is on Kolb and Miller.

5. I thought Miller called an awful game. How many times can you throw the inside slant to Early and not expect it to be jumped. How do you have Fitz on a go w/o a slot receiver or TE to pull the safety to the middle.

7. As always it is easy to be encouraged by next year getting Kolb a year in the system and Williams and Toler back. SS, OT, OLB will all be areas of need in FA and the draft. And yes, I know it is too early but hard to get encouraged about 2011.

8. The huige positives fromt the NY game. Wells looking like a man possesed and the DBs finally playing up against the WRs and able to make a few more plays.

76. By former season ticket holder on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Lets face it guys. What we have is a very average quarterback, even though he has one of the best recievers in the league. The team should get a little better over the season, but I think 8 wins is the max.
    if we lose a couple more in a row, I agree with many who say give Rich a chance.

77. By ndpenner on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

All I can say after watching replays and such is this: We gotta remember that we’re STILL playing against 2 teams a game this year: the one wearing helmets AND the illuminati zebras that “enforce the rules”….My gosh….As Howie Long said a couple of years back, nobody wants the Cards to win. IT’s bull. Like posted above me, if Doucet was in Cruz’s spot, it’s Giants’ ball.

78. By D on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Kolb get’s happy feet-but that can be improved on for next year-the things to upgrade for next year to make this team a playoff winner-
    1) Stud pass rusher
    2) 2 OT. Draft one and bring one in from FA-probably play Levi since it’s his last year next year to groom a rookie-both spots need upgraded.
    3) have Acho and O’brien compete for the other OLB spot with the top 10 pick as the other OLB-both Porter and Haagans will be gone
    3) Find a #2 WR- Roberts and Doucett are #3 wr’s at best….
    -our corners may have a rough year this year with no pass rush, but they should be okay for next

79. By D on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Next year with Beanie and Williams, we will be okay in the RB spot-
    need to extend Campbell before year end. Carter may get more snaps than Williams the last 8 games of the season…

80. By elimatees on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Can the ground cause a fumble? Even if a player willingly falls or trips and falls.
    I believe the right call was made yesterday, it’s just a debate between friends. I feel a player is not down unless contacted or “surrenders”, therefore a player falling down without any contact, then fumbling, has fumbled. I cannot find this rule or explanation anywhere. Can you help? Thanks.

81. By B on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Playcalling comes into question….AGAIN.

Seriously,our coaching gets worse and worse every year.

Kurt Warner really made coach Whis look like a great coach,am I off base here??
    :-(

82. By azcard12 on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Hi, Darren:

I thought the defense and offense played fairly good….we just cant CLOSE OUT GAMES…..the cruze fumble was really bad…

Let us hope to go out and get a win in Minnesota this week. Beannie ran really well, and we again, let this game get away…Ken W. needs to slam the refs for a really bad call. Your comments please.

83. By UC on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

And BTW Cards fans, this loss made Kenny’s overall record as coach here, including the postseason, exactly .500 at 37-37. Those numbers just keep sliding towards becoming very much like a Same Old Cardinals head coaching record.

HEY MICHAEL, ARE YOU HAPPY WITH RUNNING THE SAME OLD CARDINALS, OR ARE YOU GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT?

84. By AZ Cardinals Rock on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Ok, tired of loosing double digit leads in the fourth quarter. Hey, here is a thought, instead of playing the prevent us from winning defense, how about a 4-2-5 defense that has a four man rush, a linebacker on the back from the back field, and instead of the zone,(which we suck at) man up with either one or two deep safeties that keep everything in front of them. The three man line just cant pressure a shotgun set fast enough and the extra DB for a linebacker is a good trade. We need to stop playing a “loose zone” because for us it spells a loss every time. Come on we are so close. I hate to see our team fall apart when a few stupid penalties, on the tackle for unnecessary roughness on a 25 or thirty yard completion in the fourth quarter from close to our endzone. Play with your head, not emotion.

85. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Urban, why was LaRod not returning our kick-offs yesterday?

86. By Matt in Philly on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Another huge problem that I have is that the coaches don’t seem to be COACHING. What I mean is that they aren’t adapting to the strengths and weaknesses of their team. Obviously, the easy example is that they are continuing to try to run that 3-4 with personnel that suits the 4-3 better. Fortunately, if the Cards keep playing this way, they’re going to be first in line for a premier rusher like Melvin Ingram, which will help a lot. But it’s also the little things — like continuing to try to pass the ball to Beanie, who proves time and again he can’t stop himself from looking upfield before he catches the ball. Or failing to use Andre Roberts’ speed to take shots downfield. I mean, you look at the alignments of the receivers, and they’re all bunched up 10 yards out, which makes it impossible to get space. The coaches don’t seem to be doing their jobs.

On the bright side, if we can get a couple good rush linebackers in the draft + free agency, we could have a great defense NEXT YEAR. I think Campbell, Washington, Williams/Carter, and Peterson are guys that we could really build a solid defense around.

87. By Eric Randall on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

hey former season ticket holder, your an idiot……..Lets face it Kolb is a very average QB??????…..Is that the same thing you said about Aaron Rogers after he took the starting job in Green Bay…..Because I view them the same….yet Rogers was blessed with a better overall team….Kolb is better than average…last year everybody was screaming for the Bills to draft a new QB and this year everyone loves the one they kept. Everyone was ranting about how wonderful Bradford was last year and this year they scream “bust”…..Get a clue people

88. By Ham on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

You know what Im not even mad about this one. Ive come to accept that we are not a great football team just yet. We have way to many new players and our problem on defense is our Cornerback play and linebackers. We have to “Old guys” playing outside LB. Whiz just let Miller call the plays just once!

I think I speak for all the cards fans when I say: ” Your time is almost up” We are so tired of the loosing but hey I think we are use to it as well.

SOMEBODY CALL BILL PARCELLS!

89. By Rich on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Whiz is starting to smell bad. Hopefully we turn this around and get to winning! If not………the search for a new head coach will begin. And then, another 5 year plan :(

90. By BIG RED on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Kolb in all three games had a chance to win the games in the last 2 minutes and alwways screws it up. Last year a young rookie with only 2 game experience brought us back in the last minute of the cowboy game (AMERICAN’S TEAM), on national T.V. and his still in the bench. And he had supposedly the best pass rusher in the NFL running down his neck and he still makes the throw and completes it, WOW! You never saw him run back to get away from the pass rush. GET SKELTON IN THERE, he’ll win your hearts. Do it before it’s to late like last year.

91. By Chris B on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Tucson Tim:
    Agree 100% on the screen pass. We can’t do that play and it should not have been called at such a crucial stage.

Fire coach Whiz? Seriously people. The 4th and 1 earlier in the game worked and no one complained about that call. Screen passes work, the coaches are responsible for Beanie dropping the ball or the lineman not staying on their block a tad longer. The screen is a great play. They just can’t get it right…

Rookie/New HC w new/rookie QB= Titans 3-1, Minn 0-4, Carolina 1-3
    Rookie/New QB only = Cincy 2-2, Cards 1-3, Wash 3-1, Sea 1-3,
    New HC only = Raiders 2-2, 49ers 3-1, Broncos 1-3

There is no pattern in there saying a Rookie QB or new head coach does better or worse. And the best team out of those? Titans and I doubt it’s close. And I believe the Cards had the most personel change of any of those teams (except maybe Seatle). This isn’t Madden. There is no magicall button to push. The Cards have to finish games. They kill themselves. (115yrds in penalties for example).

Coach Whiz will NEVER throw his players under the bus. NEVER. When they win, it’s the players fault and he gives them the praise. When the team loses, it’s his fault and he takes them blame on himself. In the locker room it’s probably different. But in front of the vultures (no offense, Darren), he won’t put anyone out there. Now way. Good coaches don’t do that.

92. By georgiebird on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren

@Steve
    Your comments on Whiz and your reference to Tony LaRussa were right on. You nailed it right on the head. I couldn’t agree with you more. One of the best blogs that I’ve read on this site.

93. By earlbb on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

We got alot of good comments this morning, and i still say the problem that stops the Cards from being a dominate offense is that number 2 receiver that can draw attension, we need the Fitz from our superbowl year, ever sense we gave away A.Bolden fitz has been ok, but not dominate anymore, he still is a treat but it real easy for any defense to say take him away and the offense looks horrible. much as you hate to say it but like i have been saying WE NEED TO GO GET TERRELL OWENS just for the this season or maybe next if he stays cool, but he would be a little bit like A.Bolden was by drawing attension over the middle and he is still in good shape he will still produce on the field and the best thing is HE IS AVAILABLE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, WANNA AT LEAST CHALLENGE FOR THE DIVISION ,CARD BETTER PULL TRIGGER ON TO, or TJ Housemanzada might even work, but we need a #2 these guys we have look like babies trying to find their way, mark my word we do not get a number 2 we will win about 5 games again this year, the defense is still struggling in many areas but if we can out score people we will win , just as we did when Kurt Warner was here, we did not have a good defense just ask Pittsburgh.

T.O. or TJ will make Kolb a more confident QB,because he will have Fitz open on one on one most of the time, NO BRAINER PEOPLE TO,TO TO TO THAT WOUJLD LOOK GOOD IN cARD RED 81, we will go from 5 wins to at least 9

94. By clssylssy on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

After spending an entire weekend watching football, it is like night and day between college and the NFL…college being haul ass, kick’em’in da mouth, and NFL…slow, slow…yawn…unless you are watching Houston and the Steelers. It seems our fans missed that Tony Romo single handedly blew a 24 point lead losing the Dallas game, and that other teams around the league faired worse than the Cards. I noticed on NFL that many non-Cardinal fans commented on the “illuminatic zebras”( who apparently have a mind meld with Miss Cleo that enables them to read players intent), and felt Coach Whisenhunt showed real class in his statement following the game. I, too, would rather have a coach with a cool head than some ranting mad man. I think we are improving…remember we had a lock-out, almost a complete roster change and precious little time for our players to learn the playbook. Some teams were less
    effected due to a more stable roster and coaching staff. To those who think that Warner made Whisenhunt look good, perhaps it was Haley who made Warner look good. I say good job guys! Let’s keep moving forward…some years are rebuilding years!

95. By Darren Urban on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

elimatees –

RE: Ground/fumble

I’m not sure where the rule stands on that — seems to me it was tweaked in the last few years. But clearly the ground had nothing to do with this “fumble” so I am not sure it applies. There is a rule that says a player can give himself up, but it’s hard to see, given the circumstances on this play, that it should have been applied — Cruz just made a mistake because he wasn’t clear on the rule, and it was compounded, in my opinion, by the officials bailing him out.

96. By Darren Urban on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

azcard12 –

RE: Comments

About what?

97. By Darren Urban on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Rodgerscro –

RE: Hyphen KOR

My guess is that, because Stephens-Howling isn’t fully healed from his hand injury, it was a precautionary thing.

98. By CardsFan on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren–
    There’s no reason that we shouldn’t be 4-0 right now other than sloppy football by the Cardinals so far. There making strides right now & I know not to expect much after the off season issues(lockout, trades, missed mini camps & O.T.A’s, & new players). So my question is, how long before they pull themselves together & become better as a whole team???

99. By adam sheafe on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Stop with all of the compassion. Just tell it like it is! The “Maybe’s” and “should of’s” are getting old.

100. By BIIRDISTHEWORD on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

YOU ALL ARE A BUNCH OF WHINERS….YOU CANT EXPECT KOLB TO COME OUT AND BE A TOM BRADY QB WHEN HE’S JUST GETTING USE TO BEING A STARTER…BE REALISTIC FOR ONCE…I’M AS FRUSTRATED AS ANYBODY CAUSE THEY SEEM TO BE ABLE TO PLAY 3 QTERS KIND OF DECENT AND JUST FLAT OUT SUCK IN THE 4TH…AS FAR AS THE DEFENSE ITS NOT LIKE WERE GETTING BLOWN OUT THE WATER BIGGEST LOSS IS 4 POINTS THEY NEED HORTON TO BE DOWN ON THE FIELD GETTING IN PLAYERS FACES WHEN THEY MESS UP…NOT UP TOP JUST WATCHING…AND YOU ALL MAKE ME LAUGH WHEN THE CARDS HAD WINNING SEASONS 2 /3 YRS AGO I BET 1/2 OF YOU TALKING SMACK ABOUT HIM NOW WERE PRAISING HIM…JUMP OFF THE BANDWAGON AND STAY OFF…WE DON’T NEED FANS LIKE YOU…WIN OR LOSE YOU’RE EITHER A FAN OR YOU’RE NOT…ITS THAT SIMPLE…BY THE WAY THAT WAS A FUMBLE…THAT REF SCREWED US ONCE AGAIN LIKE HE ALWAYS DOES WHEN HE REFS OUR GAMES….

101. By louie on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

alot of you want to compare kolb to kurt you cant kolb doesn’t have 2 #1 recivers and a solid #2. Boldin was a beast that might be one of the worst trades in cards history. Roberts sucks and doucet when healthy is a # 3 at best. Cant blame Kolb for not haveing the reciever core that kurt had and the pass rush isn’t bad, but porter is done, he cant tackle anyone and seems to be very easy to block. we need a solid #2 anyone say vincent jackson or even at this time maybe t.o. can’t hurt.

102. By Tom on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

I can just hear it next season. “kolb has only been with the cards for a year let’s give him the rest of the season to develop lol”. Guys rich barrel looked pretty effective in preseason let’s pull the choker and play bartel what’s the worst that can happen? Another loss that we are destined to get next week? mcnabb is gonna tear the two young corners apart with his experience and Jared Allen is gonna have a field day with our ADD qb kolb lol rich bartel rich bartel rich bartel!!!!!!

103. By Cert 33 on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

It’s not the QB position, it’s “No Warner, No Win” Whisenhunt and the staff! The 4th qtr. play calling has been absolutely horrible on defense and offense all season. How many seasons in a row do you want double digit losses. We will be lucky to equal last seasons record. Take away Peterson’s return and we are 0-4!

104. By wayne on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

What defense was the Cards in late in the game? Zone? because the Giants
    recievers were wide open on every play. It also seemed the Def Line was just standing there with no pressure. How can a defense play so good for 3 qt’s and then just fall apart with 5 minutes left in the game? coaching! also way to many penalties again-coaching.
    I really think it’s time to part ways with coach Whiz. Bidwells have spent the the money to get the players, and we have the players to win and Whiz is the one who wanted an unproven Ray Horton, who looks to be in way over his head.

Thanks, Wayne

105. By BIG RED on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Dream on earlbb, T.O here forget it who wants a clown.

106. By Samantha on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Why isn’t anyone talking about our very bad punter! What the heck happened to Ben Graham ? He was the best player on our team last year and this year he is cut in preseason.

107. By wayne on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Samantha,
    I agree with you, I dont know why whe got rid of Graham and Neil rackers, Houston gets rackers and he’s been nothing but solid and then we get there kicker in Feely, which has already cost us a game this year.

108. By Chuck 1 on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

By TucsonTim on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

“…Hortons 4-2-5 defense using Porter essentially as a pass rushing DE (ergo NO PASS rush) during the Giants come back cost us the game.”
    “…A pass rush and Kolb getting comfortable in the pocket and we will win a lot of games.”
    (My comment: We won’t get a pass rush this year and Kolb won’t get comfortable in the pocket when he has little protection)
    ===========================================================
    By cards62 on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply
    “I have no problem with the Patrick Peterson pick, but most of the others oh brother. Most of us fans talked about our biggest needs during the offseason and they were outside linebackers, offensive tackles, quarterback, 2nd WR, and TE. Rod Graves only addressed 2 of the 4 areas with the draft and free agency so why are most of you continuing to give him a pass and call for Ken W. head? Graves is also the one who gave us no QB, no OT, no TE, no OLB last year.”
    “I would fire Graves this year and give Whisenhunt one more year.
    Cardinals draft and free agencies needs for 2012.”
    “Andrew Luck – Can not pass on a franchise QB no matter who you have on roster, outside linebackers, 2 if we stay like we all know we will in a 3-4 defense, offensive takcles 2, and a # 2 WR. Hmmm the list this year is identical to the list last year with the exception of TE. I sure hope the best player available this year doesnt play RB.”
    (My comment: Graves, Keim and Whiz have proven over the last few years that they don’t draft or sign FAs that fill the organization’s NEEDS).
    ===========================================================
    By cards62 on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply
    “oops I meant 2 out of our 5 needs.”
    “Fire Graves”
    (My comment: I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY. FIRE GRAVES!!! But, we all know that ain’t going to happen)
    ===========================================================
    By Steve DCO:
    “1. The issue isn’t the 3-4 or even Porter and Haggens. The issue is lack of depth across the entire D.”
    “6. I’ll make the comment I made last year about this time, this team just isn’t that good. There are serious holes on the OL, OLB and DB.”
    (My comment: And, why isn’t the team that good”? Because Graves, Keim and Whiz haven’t made good decisions on drafts and FAs)

109. By cooldaddy79 on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

To Birdistheword: I agree with you.. Man people get real i think the cards will get it together once they are a team that goes thru hard times, with each other, then they will cometogether. So all those fake fans back off. This team still needs to grow together. i know , it sucks to lose, I now hate the Giants after that game!

110. By Earl BB on Oct 3, 2011 | Reply

Yo BIGRED, its about winning if they pull trigger and get that so call clown and he produces and we start winning, you will be right here on this board saying how good they are, so lets be real we need a proven #2 WR, who cares at this point if he is a clown.

111. By Eric randall on Oct 4, 2011 | Reply

I wouldnt normally agree with an acquisition like the one the guy above mentioned about the cards picking up T.O., especially not T.O., but right now he is the best available wide receiver left in free agency…He was still a very dominant force on the Bengals offense last year. More dominant than even Ochocinco was. T.O could probably be had right now for a very minimal contract. It would destroy defenses to have both Fitz and TO on the field.
    Our O-line is a huge problem but it was same horrible Oline when Warner was under center. Difference is Warner had Fitz, Boldin and Breaston.
    I also think the Cardinals need to make an offer the Seahawks cant refuse for Aaron Curry. Lots of teams interested and making offers. Curry may flourish in 3-4 scheme

112. By Louisville Card on Oct 4, 2011 | Reply

I want to say I can’t believe what I’m seeing people on here are saying about the team your supposed to be rooting for, but this isn’t the first time I’ve read this post. Especially the TO post’s and calling for Harrell…really???? If TO was still good and a viable #2 do you really think he would still be available 4 weeks into the season??? And if Whiz did put in bartel and he stunk it up everyoncarotid be calling for whiz’s head saying he can’t pick a qb and stay with him. We have who we have until next year so
    get over it or start backing another team…

On a side note Darren, do you think this off season a rule change might come to specify what a ball carrier has to do to give himself up so this doesn’t happen to another team….

113. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2011 | Reply

Louisville –

RE: Giving up change

No. I just think officials will be more diligent in when/where to apply the rule.

114. By cards62 on Oct 4, 2011 | Reply

To: Eric Randle

Excuse me I meant to say I would like to see Housler play some more on offense during games. I guess 1 catch in 4 games is enough for you. Let me do some quick math for you Eric that equates to a 4 catch season. Is that playing Eric?
    You know I wish you actually watched the Cardinals play before you comment negatively on others.

Go Cards

115. By Eazy E on Oct 4, 2011 | Reply

First off, that was a horrible call and clearly was a fumble. Now, on to the analysis of the game fully. Kolb had another sub par game and that’s two in a row. He does need more time I agree but come on let’s go. 237 yards and no tds isn’t good and a bad INT. Beanie was beasting all day long out there with 27 carries, 138 yards, and 3 TDs. Larry had another day at the office with 8 catches and 102 yards total. Andre had a whopping 0 CATCHES. T.O. Again we need badly opposite Fitz. Andre, that is just bad. Early is playing alot better in the slot than Andre outside. Early supposed to be better in the slot and Dre supposed to be better outside, yeah right. Heap caught 4 passes for 41 yards which was a positive. He is getting alot more comfortable.

116. By bmh on Oct 4, 2011 | Reply

tired of same story…nothing is changing here…we end up losing after holding a lead 10up then 3up and then…losing…same old cardiac cards…giving the game up. NO defense and we want to compare our selves to Pittsburg..we need to get over that…we will never be that or any team with a good defense. We just cant grasp the concepts for some reason…always blowing those 3rd down conversions….gets tiring and frusterating for fans. This really comes down to the coaching and not all of it is Defense. I blame majority of it on Whizenhunt….he never say what the real problem with the team is and its always him…be honest..also I know know there going to be and off sides with him in every game… worst pick ever! We could have taken adrian petersen…wow what a mistake! No I don’t have anything positive to say at this time because this is reality.

117. By suspence716 on Oct 4, 2011 | Reply

@EarlB
    I agree, we need some more big name wide recievers. Bring in both T.O and randy moss!!!

118. By Eazy E on Oct 5, 2011 | Reply

Continuing Post:
    O-Line played well run blocking wise with Beanie’s huge day, but pass protection wasn’t good again mainly from the tackles. Levi maybe didn’t get help on the first sack from Beanie but he got beat pretty bad on that one, it was a straight speed rush from Osi. The 2nd sack was probably more Kolb’s fault than Levis’. Tollefson inside on his first sack was against Colledge I think which is a tough matchup because he’s a DE. Brandon Keith got beat by Tollefson on a bull rush for a sack and I thought he got replaced but he was injured. Keith needed to be replaced by the always consistent and productive Jeremy Bridges. Defense played a hell of a game for most of it until BS ensued with that terrible fumble call. Dockett had an awesome game beating pro bowl guard chris snee a number of times and picking up all kinds of penalties against snee. He had a couple tackle for losses too. I wish he had gotten a couple sacks to finish it off, but forget that, he beasted too. Calais, Dan, and our entire Defense did a heck of a job against the run only surrendering 57 yards on 21 carries. Secondary had Eli and his O shut down for most of the game, but Eli gotta admit, turned it on when the Giants needed it most. We got robbed horribly and it ultimately cost us the game. WE have to beat a desperate Minnesota or we go into the bye with a stinky 1-4 record. We need to get T.O. so bad and get Andre outta there opposite Fitz.

119. By Eazy E on Oct 5, 2011 | Reply

I agree one play don’t lose you the game but ooh it hurts!

120. By azcard12 on Oct 5, 2011 | Reply

Part of the problem is Fitz is our main receiver, and even though doucet and roberts are good, we lost Breaston and boldin, and this hurts our team, and teams key on Fitz, and we have to spread the ball around to heap, housler, doucet, and roberts, so teams just dont key on Fitz. This would help.

121. By CardinalMOE on Oct 5, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren,,,,,This is Moe,,,Like the three …..My question is A. Smith looked good in his short time. He might be better used as a receiver he is fast and bigger than Howling…..

122. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2011 | Reply

CardinalMOE –

RE: Alfonso

An option, but Hyphen has done pretty well as a receiver.

123. By Barry Bond on Oct 7, 2011 | Reply

O.K. guys it’s over. However I want to say DC Ray Horton did the right thing on Eli Manning’s last winning TD. He rush 7 players to get to Eli and held back 4 defenders to cover the 3 wide outs going deep. That was the right D call but luck held for Manning just as three rushers were just a second away from the quarterback he released the ball (check picture on this web site). Manning should of been disrupted or sacked! It was also noted on NFL network prior to the Arizona game Manning has been intercepted 8 times in the first three games! That is almost an average of 3 interceptions per game, to many for a GOOD quarterback? All we needed was one interception on one of the two drives Manning did? We needed a play maker to step up during one of those drives? Eli is no where as good as his brother is. He and the Giants just got the luck of the draw? No interceptions on this day for Eli???

124. By Barry Bond on Oct 7, 2011 | Reply

The loss of a REAL second go to guy has really hurt Fitzgerald and the Cardinals? Way to many double teams on Fitz and I have also seen 3 defenders around Fitz at crucial times? Why does Whisenhunt/Graves believe a rookie or second year wide receiver can be that 2nd receiver like a Boldin or a Breaston was? As noted by several Analysts the Cardinals use to have the best threesome receivers in the whole NFL when Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Breaston all played together and EACH had over ONE THOUSAND yards receiving. WOW!

125. By Barry Bond on Oct 7, 2011 | Reply

Will some one tell Mr. Head Coach Whisenhunt he needs to hire an EXPERIENCE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR? Yeah I know head coach’s Mike McCarthy (Green Bay), Sean Payton (Sanits), Norv Turner (Chargers) call their own teams plays because they only been doing it for 20 years! Do you get the picture Mr. Whiz? Come on 2nd and one on the Giant 29 yard line for a fresh set of downs and you call a bone head play? We need an OC that knows how to use that thing between your ears? It is called a brain!