A Super Return To UoP?

Posted by Darren Urban on October 10, 2011 – 4:16 pm

Tuesday the NFL will decide on where Super Bowl XLIX will be played after the 2014 season (so February of 2015) and Arizona — and the University of Phoenix Stadium — has a good chance of getting the nod.

The league changed up the process for awarding Super Bowls recently, so now only two areas reach the “finals” for a game. Arizona is up against the Tampa/Orlando area — where the Super Bowl was just held in 2009, when the Cards and Steelers played at Raymond James Stadium. Arizona, of course, last held a Super Bowl in 2008, when the Patriots couldn’t complete an unreal undefeated season because Eli Manning, David Tyree and Plaxico Burress wouldn’t stop completing passes down the stretch.

The next three Super Bowls are in Indianapolis after this season, New Orleans after the 2012 season and New York/New Jersey after the 2013 season.

The owners are meeting at the Intercontinental Hotel in Houston. A decision is expected to be made around noon Houston time (10 a.m. Arizona time) and it will be announced live on the NFL Network.

Tags: , ,

23 Responses to “A Super Return To UoP?”

1. By MIKE G on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren—Arizona is a great place for a Super Bowl. The city, the people and the stadium are all a first class operation, Hey Darren– Which city & stadium in the league do you think is the best fit at hosting a Super Bowl???

2. By Ward Safi on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

Arizona have by far the best stadium in the league, a removable roof and a natural grass pitch, just a shame there’s no Bidwell-Tron.

I really hope they hold Superbowl XL at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum , it would really make it feel like the historic occasion that it is.

3. By Darren Urban on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Super cities

I wish San Diego would get a new stadium, because that is a good place. But I like Arizona too.

4. By tyler on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

lets go! I can’t wait to see how high our draft pick will be. Next year super bowl champions here we come.

5. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

If the Cards keep stinking up the joint, they’re going to have rename U of P stadium to P of U.

6. By Code on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

Off topic question here, but I couldn’t help myself..

Not really trying to go out on a limb (or am I?) here, or throw away the season just yet, but hypothetically speaking. lets say the Cardinals have the first pick in the 2012 draft and Kolbs play worsens.

Do they take Andrew Luck?

7. By John the draft guy on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    Funny how fans can see what the front office cant. Here is a post I made in Feb.

My Two Cents; or better yet, my wish list;

Von Miller has been awesome the past two years at A&M. His combine just confirms what was already known.
    With the 5th overall pick, Arizona picks Von Miller.
    In the second round, Arizona grabs Florida St. QB Christian Ponder. (provided he checks out with his past injuries)

Free agency,
    The number one player to target is Nnamdi Asomugha. Can you even imagine DRC and Asomugha at CB. With CB’s like that, A-Dub can go back to what he does best, playing near the line and blitzing. With Von Miller coming off the edge, look out.
    Number two target; Tyson Clabo. A very good RT. Keep Levi on the left side and resign Duece.
    Number 3, Guard Carl Nicks to take over at left guard.
    Number 4 ; Mark Bulger

The cards were one of the lowest payroll teams last year, Even with a cap in place (provided its worked out), the Cards need to spend some cash.

** Maybe I was wrong with the names, but what is everyone saying we need?

1. passrusher- cards waited till 4th round to take Acho

2. O-Line- Understand this, not since the 7th round of the 2008 draft have we picked an oline man. They did pick up Colledge at guard. I was wrong about Levi.

3. our corners have been toast all year.

4. QB – Getting Kolb was a good move. I know many are down on him, but I think he will eventually be ok.

Point is, Even I can see what we needed. Why cant the professionals? They almost had me convinced differently, but you cant fake it in the NFL. Now I get to watch Kolb run for his life and a defense that cant stop anyone.

8. By John the draft guy on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

One more thing; Got to talk defense.

Has anyone seen Dockett- you know, besides yelling on the sidelines? Do you know Marshall as nickle back has more sacks than Dockett?

Can’t wait till Peterson is moved to safety. He will be a good one. As a corner, I’ll say it again; Antrel Rolle.

Porter, Schofield, Haggins and Acho all combined for less sacks ( 1 1/2 ) than Kerry Rhodes’ 2 sacks.

Why do you think the leading tacklers on the team is Jefferson and Peterson? I guess they tackle wrs after they give up catch after catch.

Love watching Adrian Wilson playing 15 yards off the ball. He is so good in space and has no impact around the line and blitzing (Thats sarcastic ) Wonder why he goes unnoticed game after game.

9. By NJAZCardsFan on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

The Cardinals players should put in their ticket request now as that is the only way they are going to a Super Bowl……

10. By cooldaddy79 on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

Hey who really cares. It should be in Tampa..The cardinals don’t deserve it.

11. By cardsalltheway on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Cards might get it since nobody will be afraid we could get home field advantage(as long as Ken W. is the coach).

12. By cardsalltheway on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

I wish we had an owner like Al Davis who would not allow a coach to make one bad decision after another for as long as the bell tolls at the UoP.

13. By rio on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

TRADE KOLB TO MIAMI FOR A LINEMAN AND SECOND ROUND PICK, OR CALL PHILLY AND REVERSE THE TRADE GET DRC BACK AND THE PICK AND LET THEM HAVE KOLB, I AM SURE THEY ARE NOT CONVINCE VICK IS NOW THAT GREAT.

14. By cardsalltheway on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

In the Red Zone:
    I think this is the first one I’ve listened to this year(‘ve practically quit listening to him firsthand last year). Let me this week quote Ken W’s Red Zone comment(s)… ” We’ve won some games.” Really? I thought “games” was plural? If Ken W. really wants us fans to go back and think about last year then go ahead Ken W., keep it up.
    Hello Mr. Bidwell, Ken W. is now below 500 so please consider his “body of work” and the teams with rookie coachesin 2011 who are doing better than him this year. If you honestly do, I’m sure it won’t take much for you to pull the string – FOR THE FANS and CARDINAL ORGINIZATION as a WHOLE.

15. By wnycardfan on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway – funny, i just did the same thing (listen to the red zone) and I got that same impression. That and how it just seemed like it wasn’t a big deal that his def got completely blown away or that Kolb made a “few” mistakes. I mean if you didn’t watch the game or see the score, you’d think we lost by a few points and team played pretty well. They were horrible. I just kept saying to myself 1) this is definition of insanity and 2) I wish he were my boss. Because then i could perform subpar and he’d make all the excuses for me (and his plan) and I’d still be considered a professional and have a nice job too.
    As far as team captains/leaders (even coach leaders) as an example go read what Urlacher said after the bears loss to Lions about his DEF. Spot on. And they respect the heck out of the guy. That’s the kind of emotoin and “i give a damn” about performance I would LOVE to see on this team. But haven’t seen forever (or at least not since Kurt Warner was there ripping into people)

16. By drummer-1 on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

@cooldaddy79

I agree with you, the cards don’t deserve it, not because of the team but because all the negative so called fans…I wish the team would move out of AZ. Than maybe they’ll get supportive fans..

17. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

They really should have a Super Bowl at Lambeau Field in Green Bay. It was colder in Dallas last February than it was in Wisconsin.

18. By footballdad79 on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Looks like we have 3 years to build a superbowl team and win it in our house!!!

19. By Tx Cards fan on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Does it stand out to anyone else that one of the bigger stories going into the Bye week is that the Super Bowl is coming to town in 2015? I was hoping at this point to be playing for a NFC West title and a playoff spot. But I guess we will have to settle for talking about other people playing the Super Bowl in our house.

20. By Scott H on Oct 11, 2011 | Reply

Great! Maybe our players and coaches can all get tickets…because that’s the only way any of them are going to a SB any time soon. Sorry, but I’m not happy to hear about anything good happening for this organization when they are doing nothing good for us – Cardinals fans – in regard to putting a good team on the field.

21. By bostonjohn on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

I recall seeing that you posted the website and password to see the Arizona presentation – I can’t find it this morning. please advise.

Thanks….

PS- where is Andre Roberts- it sure does seem he has taken a major step backwards…..

22. By Darren Urban on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

Bostonjohn —

RE: Super video

My bad. I updated the story and left it out. Check again about 10 a.m. and I will have it back in the story.

23. By Az Cardz Fan on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

One Question, Mr. Bidwill, how long before were a competitive team? How long are you gonna have Mr. Coach Whiz say that same ole’ story line, “sorry, but we lose another game”……I’m tired of hearing excuses from your coaching staff….please listen to those who put the bucks in your pocket and do something…NOW!….before you lose the home town advantage.