• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

And then four days off

Posted by Darren Urban on October 12, 2011 – 12:32 pm

The Cardinals are done with practice for the bye week. The player will get their CBA-mandated four straight off days, and, while the coaches aren’t going to be off four straight days, they will take some time away.

“You’ve got to take a break,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “If you think back two months ago when we came to camp, we were working 24 (hours) a day, seven days a week to start. We’ve been grinding away for two months now. We’ll be in the office and we will be working, but we will take some days off this weekend. It is important to step away from it, relax, spend time with your family and enjoy the weekend.”

The Cardinals’ final workout before the weekend (no, they did not wear pads, because I know someone will ask) included work again on third downs and the no-huddle. Quarterback Kevin Kolb said the team started last week to “up the intensity” in the two-minute work and the last two days “have been great work.” “It’s the most impressive two days of work we have had so far, and I really believe that,” Kolb added.

Those situations are crucial. Whisenhunt said the Cards will work on two-minute “hard” next week as well, noting that it has been an Achilles’ heel. “That’s one of the areas we got a lot of work done in training camp in years past and we just didn’t have the time for it this year,” Whisenhunt said. “But it doesn’t take a rocket scientist for us to figure out three games where we had a chance. It only makes sense for us to work on it.”

– Apropos of nothing, the NFL is running a contest (click here and then click “enter the contest”) looking for the best NFL-themed recipe from each team, and then the “receipes” will battle for the title of NFL’s best. Winner gets a boatload of prizes, including a 52” Flat Screen HDTV, an mp3 Player Docking Station, and $1000 to spend at NFLShop.com.

Tags: ,

133 Responses to “And then four days off”

1. By frustrated on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

Darren, don’t you think that Kolb got pulled into an office and told to cool it on the negative talk? That is what I would expect from the current regime because as little as Whiz says in his pressers, he generally does not throw terribly negative dispersions out. More like the platitudes of “we did not execute well enough” can be expected from Kolb in the future as he has probably now learned that he must toe Whiz’s line and not create his own little world of anarchy in Whiz’s dictatorial kingdom.

2. By DW #1 FAN on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

I hope the players plan on gettng together and putting some side work in. Days off are much needed, but I would like to see some initiative and drive by the leaders of our team. I see no reason why our team cannot revamp and shock the world with a win against the Steelers and Baltimore. Highly unlikely, yes, but not impossible. Looking at Pitt and Bal’s schedules you can see that the Cards have a good chance to be a trap game for each team. Winning in those two or even one of those games puts a different spin on our team. I am not giving up the playoffs after week 5 like the media would like us to believe. Let’s GO CARDINALS!!!!

3. By Phoenixraven1 on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

Darren, just an idea if your looking for some investigative reporting to do find out why we wasted so much money on Bradley or why Bradley can’t find the field!

4. By D on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

Well, not too look to far in advance, but if we are looking at a 1-6 record after the next two games, then it’s time to look at fixing some problems.., this spring’s draft is suppose to be a good one for Off Tackles…which is great for AZ….bad part of the upcoming draft, it’s weak for pass rushers…..

5. By MIKE G on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope the Cards get some time to regroup and come back strong. Do you feel that the tackling across the NFL has diminished the last three years or so??? I believe the limited practices in pads may account for this–the new CBA agreement has in some ways led to this. Sure these receivers are fast but the fundamentals of tackling is at an all time low across the league. That may play into it!! Enjoy your bye week as well!!!– Your thoughts on tackling???

6. By CJ on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

is it just me or did kolb start getting worse when we kind of restricted him and told him he has to stay in the pocket? just an observation

7. By Darren Urban on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Tackling

I think that particular fundamental has been suffering for a while now.

8. By Tien on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

I agree with DW#1Fan we still hav a shot at making the playoffs guys don’t think negative. I believe we can beat the steelers and the ravens if the cards make less mistakes. The bye came at the best time.

9. By kauaicardsfan on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

I like CJ’s observation, Maybe we should have more roll out plays for Kolb ???

10. By Born n Bred on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

These next few days are the oppurtunity for this coaching staff to air things out and come up with ideas for offensive game plans and structures. D-Coaches just keep working hard and improving.

11. By D on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

Trade deadline coming up next week. Cards could send one of the 6th round picks to Indy for Jerry Hughes. He isn’t a DE like the Colts thought, but as we saw at TCU (D. Washington’s teammate) he fit’s much better as a OLB and could be a good pass rusher. The Colts are done with him and we need pass rushers…

12. By georgiebird on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

Seems like the CBA has made the bye vacation time.
    Since the Cards’ offense is only fair and the defense is poor, how does the coaching staff get any player evaluation out of a practice scrimmage? It seems that little is learned from practice when neither squad is formidable.
    Secondly, when the Cardinals are about to play a 4-3 team (like the Giants, for example), doesn’t the Card defense play a 4-3 in practice that week in order to give the offense the look of the defensive front they are about to face. And if this is true, why can’t the Cardinals give the 4-3 a shot if they fail to quickly turn things around??
    I know Whiz is stubborn, but there is no doubt in my mind that the Cardinals will never end up with 4 real good linebackers when history says the Cards haven’t had ONE real good LB. (Dansby was one of the better ones and he never even made a Pro Bowl).

13. By Darren Urban on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

Georgie –

RE: Defense

Let me guess: You aren’t fond of the linebackers the Cards have had for 40 years.

14. By D on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

speaking of LBs, good to see G. Hayes get picked up in SD. Georgie, Eric Hill was a good player for AZ, if you remember back in the 90′s, Seth Joyner was still good when he came here for Buddy..and I believe we got one good year out of Wilbur Marshall…..D. Washington will be a very solid player for many years to come if he stays healthy….

15. By ross on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

You are the man. Seriously, I hope you are well paid. You have to read all this drivel from armchair gms, it must be a bit old by now. By the way, I was wrong about Beanie. Dude is a beast. Thanks for all that you do. Go Cards and go Darren.

16. By zahid on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

darren.
    just wondering if you had ever read a book called ‘enemy glory’.
    i sill expect to see some “W”s out of these guys. it really dousnt matter how they go about it.

17. By Scott H on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

Since the inception of the bye week in the NFL, I can honestly say that this will be the first time in my life I will be glad the Cardinals are not playing. Pretty sad to feel that way, but…what is there to get excited about any more? Honestly, I think Sunday will be more enjoyable without the frustration of watching them either find a way to lose ANOTHER game that should have been a win or just get run over AGAIN by another team that couldn’t buy a win until they got a game against the Cardinals. Those appear to be the only options these days, so…why bother? I’d rather just enjoy a care-free Sunday of watching some games and tracking the guys on my fantasy team.

18. By Rowlan on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

It’s funny, only cardinals fans are talking about next years NFL DRAFT.

we will put the same product on the field for the rest of the season, because JOEY PORTER’s are about all we have. and we will expect a different outcome each game because if you are reading this you are INSANE.

whiz and staff have imploded a team that was in the super bowl just a couple of years ago. NOW HE MUST GO, PERIOD.

IT WILL TAKE AT LEAST TWO GOOD DRAFT CLASSES FOR THIS TEAM TO TURN THE CORNER AGAIN….MARK MY WORDS.. and if WHIZ is still around THAT WON’T HAPPEN!!!

19. By Rugbymuffin on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

Same old Cardinals.

Most Cards fans I have interacted with are getting ready for another 25 years of losing, and 10+ loss seasons for the next 25 or so years.

Can’t say I blame them.

20. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

Just to throw a straw- based Molotov Cocktail towards the camel’s spine, what’s Whisenhunt’s record for the game after the bye with the Cards?

21. By georgiebird on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

No one is fond of the linebackers the Cards have had the past 50 years. Not opposing coaches, not opposing QBs, not the Pro Bowl committee, not me, and if you had been around as long as me, you wouldn’t either.
    It’s comforting you’re not telling me I’m wrong but instead you just don’t like what I’m saying even though it’s true.
    If history is so unimportant, why do teams review tapes of past games in their current game preparation? I’m sure Whiz doesn’t have a clue about the history of linebackers with the Cardinals. I’m also sure that Whiz’ stubborness with the 3-4 will lead to his demise. Even the very patient Bidwills will listen when the seats are occupied primarily by fans of the opposing team who are on vacation in AZ. The Cards are close to being a laughing stock again-the SB appearance has just about worn off.

22. By georgiebird on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

Speaking of stubborness. I’m watching the baseball Cardinals and LaRussa insists on playing an injured Matt Holliday who looks horrible. Holliday’s replacement is batting over 300 and right now is a better player than Holliday. While this stubborness may end up costing the Cardinals the playoffs, LaRussa has the resume to pull this off. If LaRussa was an unproven commodity like Whiz, everyone would be crucifying him.

23. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

Happy Birthday Adrian Wilson.
    When you blow out the candles, please wish for 2005- 2006 again.

24. By Tx Cards fan on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

Bidwill getting uneasy? Sando has a write up on Whisenhunt and what Mr. Bidwill expects of him. If I was Coach Whisenhunt I would bring a bag of ice with me for he “weekend off” to try and cool his seat down a little bit. If thing don’t turn around it will get really bad. Comments like the ones made in this write up makes it clear to everyone who the heat is on.

25. By DAVID on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

larry fitgerald u should of signed with the eagles, az never gonna get you a championship that you deserve

26. By TucsonTim on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

Funny how fallin’ feels like flyin’… for a little while

27. By R Robles on Oct 12, 2011 | Reply

Darren any trade rumors going around?

28. By Alberto on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

please help me understand! just a few weeks ago everyone (including you and Somers) marveled at Stewart Bradley.How talented,physical he was.I guess injuries was the only issue.I believe he is healthy and still,he’s barely playing! Porter and Haggans have 1 sack (combined) for the season.Considering that Lenon and Washington are playing well,why is Bradley not playing more at OLB with Schofield?? and why is Stephen Williams always inactive?? we see all these undrafted rookie receivers making a huge impact (Baldwin in Seattle!!!).Williams is super talented,tall and fast.What is the reasoning behind him not playing?? Thank you

29. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Zahid –

RE: Book

I can’t say I have read that one.

30. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Whiz record after bye

Since you asked so nicely: 1-3.

31. By maham on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Hopefully they don’t forget to work on the defensive side of the ball for the 2 minute drills!!! Sure we’ve had a chance two win with the ball….but the defense has looked pretty pathetic against opposing offenses running the 2 minute drill

32. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Georgie –

RE: Your comments

I’m not saying you are wrong or I don’t like what you are saying.

Frankly, the only point I was making is that you bring it up just about every single time you post. Pretty sure you’ve made your point. I know everyone else doesn’t necessarily read everything you write, but I do. It just gets old.

33. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

R Robles –

RE: Trades

None that I have heard.

34. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Alberto –

RE: Bradley/Williams

They did use Bradley a little outside against Minnesota and that could increase. As for Williams, it’s telling he has fallen behind DeMarco Sampson on the depth chart.

35. By cards>niners on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

kolb needs to get comfortable…. took warner a couple years to adjust to this system.. give it time, wait and see

36. By cooldaddy79 on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

I still feel Kolb is a work in progress and still a good trade. what has cromartie done for the eagles whoop di doo…I know Kolb will come together.We need to get an O-line that protects that has always been a issue for years….College he needs to step it up aswell, I think players coming to az they think its a vacation or something. Darren what do you think about T.O. coming to AZ?

37. By cooldaddy79 on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

You know i really dont think the cards need time off thats the last thing they need, mybe shorten the practice for a bit. I think Coach gots it all wrong. Unless he’s just saying that to the media you know. Kold even admitts he just cant relax…so any player on that team cares will not be taken a break..thats wrong.

38. By AZ Cardinals Rock on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Just had a horrible dream, we kept DRC, got Peterson first, used second for Ryan Mallett and we we 2-3 in second place going into the bye week, what a nitemare that would have been. We took one in the Keester on this one. We may never recover now that we signed an unknown QB to a long term deal.

39. By Louisville Card on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

@georgiebird

I read these posts alot and I have never seen one positive post from you. Seems to me you should pick another team to root for or do you like just like complaining and that’s why you like the cards…you even rip on the baseball cards and last I checked they are up 2-1 and I think you’re the only one saying that’s not good enough. I’ll give you there is alot to be disappointed about and I hate to even post this but come on enough is enough I have to agree with Darren quit beating a dead horse.

40. By Todd on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Darren, how bout some video of Beanie plowing Cedric Griffin. Haven’t been able to find it anywhere.

41. By UK Card on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

HEY I DON’T WANT TO HEAR TALK FOR LUCK HERE! GET REAL!!!!!

Kolb is our guy! He will be here some years, hes not grasped the system yet but it will come. I like everyone else didn’t want to see a rebuilding year, but with all the new guys, and the lock out simply that may be the case! Lets not be calling for anyone’s job EXCEPT maybe the MATADOR LEVI BROWN SERIOUSLY he’s just missing the red flag! He just side stepped Jared Allan! Am a buck 80, and think i could hold him off longer!!!!!!! We should cut our loses, and let him go!!

Our O’line sucks, Kolb is up against it! I loved to see Housler out there! Hope to see a lot more of him, Hope he gets a tonne of reps! And LOVED to see Beanie, knock the guy on his butt, and helmet flying off! Am buying that play!

Just wished we had already played Pitt, & Balt. and could have a do over of any of the last 4!

We will see a improvement after the next two games!

LETS GO CARDS!!!!

42. By Shaun Church on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Check out my new article on Early Doucet

43. By Dre on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Cardinal fate might be different if they would of stayed away from Chansi Stuckey. They paid way to much money for the guy who hasn’t contributed anything. Andre Roberts is a big dissappointment. Early Doucet is not an enough of a treat to help Fitz from being double covered.

Braylon Edwards could of been the difference in all those close games. We haven’t came close to replacing Boldin. The locker room and vocal leadership plus the energy he brought is sure what’s missing.

They are missing a WR opposite of Fitz. All the greats had a opposite…Jerry Rice had John Taylor, Michael Irvin had Ron Harper.

Braylon Edwards was the X factor but they went with Chansi Stuckey. That small error cost us three closed games and after five game the Cards playoff hope is all but gone.

Now, the defense is a whole different argument…

44. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Todd –

RE: Beanie run

Me either.

45. By Matt in Philly on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Quarterbacks who also have never had a full offseason with their current team, all of whom who have better passer ratings than Kolb:

–Rex Grossman, Andy Dalton, Donovan McNabb, Tavaris Jackson, Cam Newton, and Matt Hasselbeck.

All of those QBs, with the exception of Newton and McNabb (who are tied) have won more games than Kolb as well.

Now, who’s to blame? Is it Whisenhunt, who can’t seem to win games without Kurt Warner at the helm (he’s 9-18 without him taking most of the snaps)? Or is it Kolb, who looks more lost on the field than Tavaris Jackson and Rex Grossman, neither of whom have the talent in receiving corps that Kolb has?

46. By J K on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

I want to see some stability within this team and this franchise more than anything. With Whisenhunt now on the hot (and getting hotter) seat I think the next few weeks will be telling. In my opinion player energy and how we respond to being down should tell the fans what they want to know about Whiz. If they play hard for him, even when down, they like him. If they look lazy and sloppy, well I’m sure everyone knows what I’m getting at. At least that’s my take on watching the team for the next few weeks. I don’t think we have the right pieces in the right places to make a good run, but personally I would like to see Coach Whiz with more time to acquire those pieces if it looks like the players are still playing hard for him.

As fans we’re not always right, we’re not always positive, and we’re not always going to agree, but the one thing we’ve all got in common is our passion. Thanks for all of these posts and your interactions with the Cards fans Darren.

47. By Blair on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

48. By Phoenixraven1 on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Just wished they’d be honest why this $5 million dollar/year guy is riding pine? Crazy…

49. By georgiebird on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

@ Louisville Card;
    You should read all my posts. I have been the most positive post on Beanie-I’ve been telling people that Beanie is a very, very young player (still college age) and he’s going to be a good one. I have commented that the OL and Russ Grimm have done a good (not great) job and are not the main problem with the team. I love Larry’s skill and commitment and he’s 2nd all-time to Roy Green. And yes, I have been major negative with Whiz and the defense.
    With the baseball Cards, I was making a specific point about stubborness by some top-flite guys like LaRussa who can get away with stubborness because he’s has the resume. I love the baseball Cardinals. The Cards used to have their top minor league team in Louisville, I’m glad they moved it to Memphis. I think my comments have been the most objective on this site, and my comments agree very closely with whats being said about the Cards throughout the league. No, I don’t drink the kool-aid.

50. By Scott H on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Matt in Philly =

First, I feel your frustration even if we may not agree on the source. But while your point is clear, some of your data is just flat wrong. First, you say that McNabb and Newton have won more games than Kolb. No, they have not. The Vikings only just won their first game ( against guess who ? ) and it really had very little to do with McNabb’s performance. He was being booed throughout the whole game because he has just been SOOOOO bad since the start of the season. McNabb ( like last year ) will not even finish this season as a starting QB. And if he were here, it would be no different. Forget McNabb. He’s done.

The Panthers have likewise won only one game. The Seahawks have won 2 games only because of a defensive miracle last week. Other than that, they’ve beaten only – guess who? Again, it has had very little to do with Tavaris Jackson. He looks like he may be replaced by Whitehurst sooner than later. And Orton? Already been demoted for Tebow. None of these QB’s will have a significant impact this year. I still take kolb over anyone mentioned so far.

Grossman and Dalton have done well so far and I give them credit. Hasselbeck? Looked great when Kenny Britt was healthy. I have no crystal ball but I don’t see him taking the Titans anywhere.

Then, there’s Kolb. Well, I like how you seem to want to hold him responsible for Whiz’s record since Warner left….unfortuantely, that does not hold water because Kolb wasn’t here last year, when Whiz chalked up 11 losses. That was a direct result of HIS tragic over-evaluation of Anderson and his even more tragic decision to stick with Anderson long after it was clear he was just God awful. The check for that disaster belongs to the head coach, and nobody but the head coach. Can’t blame any of that on Kolb. And again, I question your data of a 9-18 record since Warner left. That adds up to more games than have even been played since that time. They HAVE played 21 games since then and their record is 6-15. Where did you get 9 wins from??? We can only wish they had won 9 games!

So…15 losses in 21 games since Warner left town. Kolb has been here for 5 of those games. Whiz has been here as the head coach for all 21 of them. Sorry, but Whiz is much more of a commen thread right now than Kolb could possibly be.

51. By jocards on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Well to me the thing is that fair or not fair Whisenhunt will be a casualty if this thing doesn’t begin to turn around. He’s had more success as a Cardinals coach than any of his predecessors and I do believe he is a good football coach. However when a team consistently finds a way to lose winnable games and then occasionally mixes in games like last Sunday where they do not look ready to play in any way the man in charge on the field will at some point take the fall. To me every NFL team has talent on the roster but I am not sure this team has a much talent as a lot of folks here believe. I am sure that the NFL is all about results and if you are not getting results there will be and should be changes. I hope Whisenhunt can right the ship, if he doesn’t it won’t be long before we’re complaining about a different head coach.

52. By Javi on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

darren, so you know that the cardinals unfortunately have been losing some games, now you know that we did not really pay attention to any veteran players in freeagency, do you believe that the cards will make some moves as the trade deadline comes??

53. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Javi –

RE: Trade deadline

No I do not expect any trades.

54. By cards62 on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Darren

I know you do not expect any trades, but I do not know why.

Oakland landed A. Curry and did not give up too much from Seattle and I agree he is a risk.

Colts have J. Hughes, once again a risk, but maybe with Washington he finds himself.

Both play a position or can play a position that we know we need a lot of help. Some risk, but I think a lot of upside or reward.

So why dont we try?

Interesting this hot seat talk about Whisenhunt.
    I would hope Graves seat was hotter.

Steve

55. By Scott H on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

jocards -

Yes, all that you say is true. As we know, NFL stands for Not For Long when things are not going well. Yes, it is typically the head coach who takes the fall but…more often than not, that’s where the blame lies. In any occupation, it is the boss who has the ultimate responsibility when things fail. And, unfortuanately, things are failing here. I have always liked Whiz, but there has just been too much of a downward spiral since the massive talent exodus after the 2009 season. The totally confusing offensive coordinator situation since Todd Haley left…poor performance at defensive coordiantor since Clancy Pendergast left…the disaster that was our QB situation last year.. too much preference for Steelers players and coaches…and poor performance in the area of off-season personnel moves….for me, these are the things that have taken us down. And they all point to one place – to the guy who has the ultimate responsibility when things fail.

The shame of it is that Whiz is certainly not the only bad guy here. The things I listed above are also a failure of the front office. Unfortunately, team owners and general managers are often in the luxurious position of avoiding responsibility by firing head coaches and then having anywhere from 2-5 years for them to put their “program” in place. If they succeed, everyone is happy. If it fails again, they just fire the head coach again and it starts all over.

56. By R Robles on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Thanks

57. By adam sheafe on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Let’s all get this straight and stop living in the past from a couple years of playoffs. That was an anomaly! This organization is good at 2 things and that is losing and mismanaging. There is no consistency of winning here so why is everyone stuck in the past like this is a winning organization? We will be lucky to go 4-12 this year. There are 2 coaches that are hands down better in our division and have better football acumen than Whisenhunt, (Carroll & Harbaugh). So basically the cards will get out coached even if they have the better talent. Everyone stop living in 2008 & 2009. This is who this organization is. Whisenhunt doesn’t know how to lead… FLAT OUT! He’s too nice.

What did Kold say after he signed with the Cards? “It just felt right”! Well, I’m wondering if he is saying that now. I would say that too if a team signed me to a $65 million dollar deal. Now he needs to show up and play like his contract. If this was the draft he would be considered a bust according to the amount of money he is being paid. Cards should of just paid Breaston his worth. Greedy Mutha’s!!

This offense would be so sick right now. But again.. this organization is great at losing and mismanaging.

58. By John the Draft Guy on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Alright Darren,
    I felt coming into this season, we did not need to add another WR. But one has been offered to the league for trade that we should not pass on; Brandon Lloyd.

Several teams are in talks with Denver. Could the Cards be one of them? Without protection, it’s tough to get the ball down field (what Lloyd does best) , but he would demand some attention and maybe, just maybe ease some of the coverage off Fitz.

Any word?

59. By Aussie Matt on Oct 13, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren,

There is a thread on the Message Boards stating that the Cardinals have made an offer to Denver for Brandon Lloyd. The poster did not include a link to any source.

Can you confirm/deny? Doesn’t sound legit to me.

Cheers, Matt

60. By JohnfromOz on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

May the curse of a thousand vengeful emus kicking down your dunny doors be on you all, Cardinals coaching staff – getting rid of big Benny Graham is a sad, bad mistake that will come back to haunt you.
    May your passes be dropped, your rushes be halted short, and your shoulder pads rub.

61. By georgiebird on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

I hear all the moaning about the bad offensive line from the guys here. Fact is, the OL has been pretty good. The Cards need to help Levi once in a while with a chip blocker and when the defensive end continues to go around him, an opportunity develops to run the ball inside.
    I’ve seen games where the Colts’ Freeney and Mathis beat the tackles on almost every play-it happens, but, once again, it opens up running options.
    Beanie is gaining just shy of 5 yds per carry and we have a novice QB and no WR2 to stretch the field- also, Beanie is doing it with a sore hammy. The OL is not a problem on this team. Grimm is doing a very good job. And what is an OL to do when the team gets behind by 28 points in the 1st qtr.
    It seems no one wants to hear about history, but the Cardinals have NEVER had a good defense. Make no mistake about it, the defense is the big problem here. The new HC should be concerned with history.

62. By suspence716 on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    I just heard on sportcenter that the broncos are looking to deal brandon lloyd for a draft pick before the trade deadline. Do u think the cardinals would be interested in this? Would u pick him up if u were in the front office? Thanks.

63. By suspence716 on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Blair,
    Thanks by posting that video, beanie was a beast on that play. I noticed when i was watching the game live that they gave beanie a horrible spot on the play and after watching the run again still noticed he easily got the first down but they spotted him short. Anybody else notice that? Cards still get little to no respect from the zebras!

64. By suspence716 on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Even the announcer said it was a first down, then u see the ball placed a yard short of the first down when he was clearly a yard over the first down marker. Lame

65. By suspence716 on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Speaking of awesome LB’s the cardinals had, does anyone remember that guy who made troy aikman rip his helment off and throw it towards the stands in the 1998 playoffs? Yeah his name was Jamir Miller and he was a Pro bowler and super stud when he was here. He was more than half the reason we went into big D and beat up on the cowboys that day, he was everywhere! So there ya go georgiebird!

66. By cardsalltheway on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

“No I do not expect any trades”
    Thank goodness because all we would hear about why the “Fantastic Trade” hasn’t panned out yes is…(fill in with typical Ken W. excuse).

67. By cardsalltheway on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

TX Cards Fan,
    If Michael Bidwill really believes this…””But I trust Ken Whisenhunt and I know that he has got laser focus on getting these issues fixed, getting the mental errors removed from the game.”

What has Ken W. ever “fixed” since last preseason besides NOTHING or burning through numerous QB’s? So why the “trust?”

I hate to break it to Michael Bidwill but us fans are surely not going to see any proof of Ken W.’s “laser focus.” So Mr. Michael Bidwill, what will you do about it(before next season)?

68. By TucsonTim on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

As a season ticket holder it was very refreshing to hear Michael Bidwill talk about the season so far. Big take away points: first, he made it very clear that he gave Whiz everything he asked for, (these aren’t the same ole cards with respect to paying players, despite what is printed on this blog) second, he made it “laser focus” clear that he expects Whiz to turn it around.

It was a very smart interview. Didn’t make a spectacle of the organization like a J Jones would do, but at the same time he let the fans know what ownership has done and what they expect. Good job, Michael.

69. By cardsalltheway on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Mike Sando link cont…
    “I think there has got to be a little bit of frustration at this point,” Bidwill said of Kolb’s performance, “…He has got great football intangibles. He is football smart. He has a great release, a great arm. He can do it. We just have to get him comfortable in the scheme that we are in and comfortable in the offense.”

What intangibles?
    “Football smart” ~ Really?
    “Great release” ~ Do you mean the way he throws into defensive linemen?
    “A great arm” ~ Really? I hope so(haven’t seen it yet).
    “We just have to get him comfortable” ~ I don’t think Ken W. is capable of making any Quarterback “comfortable” or anyone else for that matter other than maybe Max ~ The Moxy.

70. By SteveDCO on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

I wish someone would answer a simple question for me….

If everyone wants Graves run out of town please explain why?

He has drafted better than the Patriots in recent years. (More players are on the Cards roster from the draft than NE)

He was aggressive in getting FAs in this year and had an amazing draft where every player would be playing on game day if not for injuries except for Studivant.

As to the argument he didn’t address the O line or OLB, please tell me who was out there he could have gotten? It is easy to say upgrade but with who? Give me a name of better players that he didn’t go after? The Cards were in the hunt for Nyamdi!

There is a reason most teams let players go to FA, they are either not very good or will cost too much money for their play.

Are you sayinh he should have drafted the best OL or OLB with the #5 pick and passed on PP? The Cards used to draft that way, remeber Brown, Pace, Johnson.

I get the team has moved backwards in the last two years but their is a reason teams that make the SB rarely make the playoffs the following year, your players get examined by 30 other teams and picked off and FAs get huge pay days.

71. By Darren Urban on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Everyone -

RE: Lloyd

I do not expect the Cards to trade for Lloyd.

72. By Matt in Philly on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Man, the more I think about the state of the Cardinals, the more bleak my optimism becomes. The Cardinals short-comings come down to three HUGE problems that have no quick solution.

First, they simply do not have the personnel to do what they want to do on defense. Their best players are much better suited for the 4-3 defense than the 3-4. The talents of Campbell and Dockett, your two best defensive linemen, are better used in the 4-3. Plus, we’ve got two talented noses in Williams and Carter to rotate in and out of there. Then, you have a burgeoning superstar in D.Washington who could be a terror at the middle linebacker position.

Second, the offensive line is a joke. Colledge and Sendlein are fine, but our tackles are atrocious. As long as teams can get pressure with 3-4 lineman, they are going to be able to put 2-3 guys on Fitz. To be fair, though, Kolb has to more consistently be able to find the open receivers when the line gives him time.

Third, and perhaps the most disconcerting, is how thin the Cardinals’ young talent is. For all the blame Bidwill is putting on the coaches, they have not had a lot of success in the draft at filling holes with lower round picks. For example, we are completely emaciated at OLB, OL, and Safety.

It’s going to take big changes for this team to be successful, and while we’d like to see a world-class coaching staff, changing the guard will require at least a couple of years of reformatting this mess of a team.

73. By UK Card on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren

I love your patience with us the Fans! Even when you get asked the same Questions time, and time again, and then again phrased slightly differently!
    Made me laugh the preemptive post regarding Lloyd! Thanks for all you do!!

Am tired of hearing all the negatives about Kolb, Whiz Etc. Loved to hear our friend Wolfley shout down all the haters last night!!

The only thing I think I’d like to see the O’line step up at give Kolb time, and for Kolb to spread the ball around like in pre-season! Fitz shouldn’t be his 1st read, I don’t think Fitz should be targeted til late 1st Qtr. When D’s relax off him, we need quick reads, and release’s! Think Housler will be great with some more reps, and King should shore up to help brown make stop’s!!!

74. By D on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren-
    Since the Steelers are coming out, who can put down more chicken wings, Wolf or his brother?

75. By cardinalbeliever on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Maybe I’m missing something here, but has anyone ever started a new job in the REAL world and become employee of the year their first year? You all really believe that a person can step into a new job (regardless of salary) and become heroic in the blink of an eye. Look at the two teams that made the most moves in the off season; Arizona and Philadelphia. These teams need more time to mesh. Sure, there are a lot of big names on these teams. You can have a room full of the greatest minds in the world but it doesn’t mean they change the world in six weeks. I BELIEVE ARIZONA! Remember that?? I thought we all believed!

76. By John the Draft Guy on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Steve DCO;
    To a degree, I completely agree with you. The Cards did draft good players and had a good free agency. I still would have done the Kolb deal and wouldn’t have picked up another WR. But that doesn’t mean the draft was good for our team.

1st-Since 2007, the only O-Linemen drafted are Levi Brown (07-1st round) and Brandon Keith (08- 7th round). 3 years of no Olinemen end up with a QB running for his life.

2nd- 2004. Remember this year. Because its the last time the cards had someone in double digit sacks. (Berry). This has been a problem for years and years. Yet year after year we either draft late (Acho and Schofield -4th round) with hopes they can improve or miss (Cody Brown).

The 2011 Draft; I ranted and raved( Darren will tell you because I posted it to anyone who would listen) To grab a passrusher or, we should have traded with the Falcons like Cleveland did (Again posted several times) with the 6th pick (I cant believe it would not have been offered to us). Picking up another 1 next year along with a one and 2 this year. Then you could have addressed the Oline with Gabe Carimi later in the first or taken Jimmy Smith at CB.

In the second, you could have added Brooks Reed or Akeem Ayers at OLB. And with the other 2nd, we could have addressed CB with Brandon Harris or WR with Torrey Smith or Oline.

Sticking with Peterson, IMO (and I know I’m alone on this one), was a mistake.

Don’t know about everyone else, but thats my answer. And if you followed my post, I said that back then.

77. By D on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Draft Watch:
    A player to watch that may have Card’s scouts interest, T.J McDonald, Safety USC-if he can control his emotions (see asu game), he would be a nice draft pick early in 3rd round. 6″3, 205 could be a player to groom to replace one of our current starters down the road…

78. By John the Draft Guy on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

SteveDCO;
    One more thing;

Passing on PP? Yes. I see Antel Rolle.
    Drafting the best OLB? Yes -Aldon Smith is doing really well for SF, Kerrigan is great for the Skins.
    Remember Pace, Johnson? Yes- that was another year we passed on the best passrusher- you know, that guy from ASU- T-Sizzle (wasnt that Graves? hmmm)

OK- If I bash him with that, he gets credit for taking that slow WR from Flordia State late in the second. “Q” turned out to be a pretty darn good pick.

79. By clssylssy on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

EVERYONE:
    What a bunch of whiners! Georgiebird…gotta agree, you have to take the prize for being the most negative individual (notice I didn’t say fan) who shows up to gripe about anything and everything! and Dre, Braylon Edwards is a headcase…geez, that would be just ONE MORE thing for Georgiebird to gripe about!
    Let’s focus on the Steeler game. I, for one, believe it is winnable even with Bennie Boy. It’s a HOME GAME, we SHOULD have a loud crowd, the guys will be rested and more focused after the bye. The Steelers haven’t been all that consistent this season. Except for the Packers just about every team has been up and down. It seems like Cardinal fans were checked out during the off season and don’t seem to realize there was a little thing called the lockout that has continued to have fallout, LETS RISE UP RED SEA AND GET BEHIND OUR TEAM! GO CARDINALS! WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

80. By Tx Cards fan on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

On Lloyd… Save the pick the WR play hasn’t been that bad. There is enough young talent to groom into a good group to go with Fitz. Use the pick on one of the many other needs next season, Tackle, Pass rusher, and Safety. The team is already down a 2nd round pick.

81. By Darren Urban on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

D -

RE: Wolfleys

That is a question better asked of them.

82. By rio on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

A COUPLE OF GUYS HAVE SAID WE SHOULD HAVE MORE ROW OUT PLAYS FOR KOLB, I HAVE ONE THAT WOULD WORK PERFECT FOR HIM.
    JUST ROLL OUT TO I-10 AND KEEP GOING AS FAR AS YOU CAN AND MAKE A LEFT AT EL PASO.

83. By cards123 on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

MEDIC MEDIC !! NEED TO PLUG ALL THE HOLES BEFORE WE BLEED OUT!! Why do I keeping watching the CARDS? , it’s like getting stitches it hurts, you don”t want to watch cause it”s ugly but for some reason you can’t turn your head away. Maybe we can somehow sew this up before we get any worse if that’s possibly. Whatever however GO CARDS!!!!!!

84. By Scott H on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Steve DCO -

You say the Cardinals have drafted better than the Patriots because they still have more of their draft picks on the roster than NE…and you think this is a good thing??? I have heard some interesting observations but this one takes the cake. Are you kidding me with this??? Gee…I guess this makes the Cardinals a better team then, right? Um, no. A look at their respective records tells me that the Patriots are winning MANY more games than the Cardinals. Therefore, it doesn’t matter which team is doing what with their draft picks. As always, winning is what matters. And at this point, the Cardinals would need three seasons to achieve the number of wins the Patriots rack up in a single season. Honestly, what was the point you were making with this??? My God, man, the Patriots drafted 2 TE’s last year who have had a monster impact on their team – especially Grontkowski. Name a single Cardinal player taken during the same period who has even come close to the same kind of impact. If you’re coming up with nothing, well, there’s a reason for that.

The number of draft picks that are still with the team who drafted them doesn’t mean jack when the team is bad. You can add a whole bunch of zero’s together and still get zero. Using the Patriots as a point of comparison for the Cardinals is just….so…in-explicably ridiculous. I’ll take the Pats’ personnel people ANY DAY over what we have here. Throw in the head coach and the QB while your at it!

85. By Scott H on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Ya know…I think RISE UP RED SEA and WE DO THIS TOGETHER are two slogans that just need to be put to rest right now. Gimme a break….

86. By cards62 on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

Brandon Lloyd for a 5th rounder is a no brainer for me.
    Guy only makes $ 1.4 million.
    Lets bring him to town and sell him on the team so we can sign him to a longer term deal.
    Graves get off your butt and get us a couple of more players.
    Fitz, Lloyd, Doucet it just makes too much sense for the Cardinals.

I can dream until another team signs him.
    Go Cards

87. By georgiebird on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

@ Suspense716
    As I was saying, Jamir Miller was an OK linebacker with the Cardinals in the late 90s. In 5 years with the Cards, he had 13 sacks or about 2 1/2 sacks a year. He had money issues with the Cardinals and ended up signing with the Browns.
    And here’s the most important part of my comment. He became a better LB in his 4 years with the Browns and did make the ProBowl in 2001 as the Cleveland Browns only participant in the Pro Bowl.
    You guys are the best testimonial to confirm my comments about LBs. One guy even mentioned a “washed up” Seth Joyner- does this sound familiar.
    I’ve seen it all in 51 years and not one guy rises to the level of a stud linebacker – not Mark Arneson or Niko Noga, or Larry Stallings or Jamie Rivers or Eric Hill or EJ Junior or Anthony Bell- you get the idea.

88. By georgiebird on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

@D;
    You spoke of TJ McDonald -safety USC.
    TJ’s father Tim was drafted by the Cardinals in the late 80′s. Tim was a great player with the Cardinals. But once again, because of money, he went to the 49ers where he was an even greater player on playoff and a SuperBowl team. He made many ProBowls. Tim would be one of the top 10 Cardinal defensive players of all-time.
    When I look at safeties like our Larry Wilson and AW, it’s a crime that Tim McDonald is not in the HOF, he was one of the best.
    If TJ is half as good as his father, we should draft him in the 1st round unless we get Luck.

89. By cardsalltheway on Oct 14, 2011 | Reply

clssylssy,
    “EVERYONE:
    What a bunch of whiners!
    Let’s focus on the Steeler game. It’s a HOME GAME,…the guys will be rested and more focused after the bye. The Steelers haven’t been all that consistent this season.”

Do you even know as a fan(ha ha) Ken W.’s record after the bye week? Obviously not! And since when have the Cardinals been “focused” or “consistent?”
    Ken W.;s record following the Bye Week…
    2007 Loss to Tampa Bay Nov. 4th
    2008 Loss to Carolina Oct. 26th
    2009 Win against Houston Oct. 11th
    2010 Loss to Seattle Oct. 24th

That’s a 1-3 losing record for Ken W. after the Bye Week. Obviously you’ve had some of the Michael Bidwill / Ken W. “Focus” Kool-Aid.

90. By James Sweeny on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

I know lots of people are completely giving up on Kolb and saying worst trade in history! These people are wrong it took Aaron Rogers 25 Starts to get where he is know! So lets get to the root of the problem O-line!

-Believe in a Season of Change

91. By TucsonTim on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Steve DCO – The whole defensive scheme doesn’t work because we don’t have any pressure from our OLBs. BTW here is a list of FA LBs that were available:
    Stephen Tulloch (TEN)
    Will Herring (SEA)
    Leroy Hill (SEA)
    Matt McCoy (SEA)
    David Vobora (STL)
    Quincy Black (TB)
    David Thornton (TEN)

Some good some not so good. Regardless, they were there.

92. By Christo on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

This team is brutal. THAT SteveDCO is one reason that our draft picks play. Not because they are great players, but because it is hard to crack the Patriots roster. We walked QB’s on last year for ie.

I just want the pressure on Whiz. He swears up and down what he does works, but the reality is it HAS NOT worked for years. I don’t think he should be guaranteed next year at all. Coaches are coaching teams up.

Modify or tweak your system to the players Whiz,

It’s just sad, the season is over already, we are not making the playoffs. We aren’t even challenging for the division.

The D is horrendous, absolutely horrendous.

93. By kevin on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

What gets on my nerves is when I read we should of taken Peterson over Levi. Since being a fan for a long time I think back to Thomas Jones and G.Hearst when they where drafted they looked like nothing but a flop but then went to another team and what happen? they led the NFL in rushing. I agree Levi is about as bad as they get he reminds me of L. Davis who went to the Cowboys. Kolb needs time to grow into the system we have. Can’t compare to rookies on other teams each team has a different system. Coach Whiz will get this turned around. I have faith in him and Kolb. We have always had a standout wide receiver and since I been a fan we also always had a standout cornerback or Saftey. Not a mistake trading for Kolb remember last year as I do everyone was throwing on DRC who once said to the media he was bored out there.

94. By georgiebird on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

@ Cassylssy

you say I’m negative -but my comments are factual and accurate.

Your comments are right from the kool-aid jar- the Steeler game is winnable because
    1) it’s a home game
    2) noisy crowd
    3) more rested and focused players

Where does coaching and talent come into your pre-game analysis. I would love to be your bookie and take every penny you have.

95. By kevin on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

I will always be for the Cardinals always have been. Win or lose. Have been a fan since 81. I remember when Hart went and Lomax came in and we started winning. Then also remember when Lomax went down then we started having losing seasons up until Kurt came to play. Kolb will be a very good QB once he has a season under his belt. It takes a Qb on this team to lead us. As Kurt did. Last good Qb we had other then Kurt was N.Lomax. So I look at Kolb and he reminds me of Lomax in a lot of ways trying to carry the team on his back. Next year I feel he will be in the top 10.

96. By nodavis2000 on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

I have a quick question, and yes, it has nothing to do with this post.

I saw a report on my NFL Mobile that the Colts were considering trading Reggie Wayne (WR) and/or Robert Mathis (DE). The Colts might be trading them because there’ll be FAs next year and considered that it’s possible that they won’t resign. Do you think the Cards might go after one of them??? Mathis is a good pass rusher, like WE NEED. Obvsiously Reggie is a huge threat. I like our WR core, but Reggie is better. I’d be shell shocked if the Cards didn’t even seem interested. What’s your take on it???

97. By Darren Urban on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Nodavis -

RE: Colts

Mathis makes some sense. Wayne not really given the situation.

98. By cardsalltheway on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

The Arizona Cardinals have a culture problem?

I think so!

99. By John the Draft Guy on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Tucson Tim;
    I think you made SteveDCO’s point. Wimbeley was the only pass rusher and he was locked up by the Raiders. It was a stronger class of CB’s

That’s why I preach the draft is so important. Would we be better if we drafted say Aldon Smith in the 1st and Brooks Reed in the 2nd- Or are we better with PP and Williams?

So, when SteveDCO says we drafted well, I would say yes and no. Will Peterson and Williams be productive and “make” the team? Sure. Were they the right picks? I don’t believe so. I think that because of this basic principle;

If we want to play defense like the Steelers, we have to get players like the Steelers. They have guys who can get after the QB in Woodley and Harrison, and Timmons and even Troy Palumalo. They DON”T have shut down CBs. And their Defense of line usually goes unnoticed because there jobs are to keep LBs clean. They are all large and hold the point of attack.

So we enter the draft knowing this, and grab the top CB. Meanwhile, Porter and Haggins have combined with one sack in 5 games. Our D-Line is more suited for a one gap penetrating scheme. Asking Dockett and Campbell to play two gaps and hold the point is not their strengths.
    So, while the scheme is solid. They players in that scheme don’t fit.

Now back to the draft. I watch the Texans pull it off perfectly. Switching to a 3-4, they take JJ Watt in the 1st and Brooks Reed in the second and sign Jonathon Joseph at CB. That was perfect. An A+.

On Offense, this team had needs at QB and Tackle and arguably wr. Graves pulled off a major trade and landed Kolb. They went out and grabbed TEs in FA and Draft. But we forgot about protecting Kolb. Now he is running for his life. Would we be better if we traded down and landed Castanzo, Smith, Solder or Carimi in the 1st and came back with Cobb, Little, or Smith at wr in the second?

Look at the Packers, They grabbed Sherrod at Tackle in the first because their LT was aging. Funny, an injury later and Sherrod was protecting Rodgers blindside last week. Then, in the second the grabbed Cobb at WR to give Rodgers another weapon. The Packers understood they strength of the team is Rodgers and gave him protection and weapons. Perfect.

So SteveDCO and others, while we will look at players and think PP and Williams were good picks, did they make us better? Did they accomplish our team goals? Did we build anything that is now a strength on this team on either side of the ball that we can build around? If your answer is no, then Graves did not do a good job.

100. By John the Draft Guy on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Georgiebird;

Ken Harvey was drafted by the cards and played at a probowl level for us. Yes, money sent him to the Skins, he still had big years for us. Wish we had a young Harvey now.

101. By TucsonTim on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Nice article about Doucet.

102. By jocards on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Well at least we can’t lose this week. Look, to all those that go on and on about georgiebird and others being negative I say it is time for a dose of reality for you. This is a very bad organization if your gauge is success on the field. I have been a fan since they played in St. Louis and I’ll be fan forever, I’ve never stopped rooting for the Cardinals but this is a very, very unsuccessful organization. They were a charter member when the league was formed and have done so much losing whether they played in Chicago, STL or Arizona…. it is truly staggering. The point of this post is to point out that a lot of the negative posts are well founded. Some of you seem to think that this is an organization that is used to winning and a down cycle is something they’ll rebound from quickly. Folks, this is not the Steelers we are talking about here. 2008-2009 were aberrations; this organization under the ownership of the Bidwill family has lost on a historic scale. How many of you realize that since Bill Bidwill has controlled the team….almost 50 years, they’ve made the playoffs only 5 times? That is true futility on a grand scale. Losing is a way of life for this organization. It is difficult to believe that it’ll be any different now than it has been for more than 50 years for this organization. Clearly putting a winning team on the field is NOT the main priority for ownership and to argue otherwise is taking a position that simply can’t be supported.

103. By cardsalltheway on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

SteveDCO,
    If you really think the Cardinals have drafted better than the Patriots as of late then please explain why Ken W. is 3-13 in last 16 games?
    Actually the Cardinals flopped with the 2nd round Ryan Williams, he’ll never amount to anything in the NFL and was selected based on his 2009 college season(was injured much of 2010), but you know how much Ken W. likes to draft injury prone players. The Cardinals 2011 draft wasn’t that good. Peterson, Carter, and maybe Acho might amount to something. Colledge(OL) is the only FA signing worth anything other than maybe Marshall(CB).

104. By jocards on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

I also think that we should all give Darren a break and keep in mind that he can’t be as brutally honest about this organization as we are. I don’t mean that in any backhand way. He is employed by the Cardinals and if one bad mouths their employer over and over they will not have a job very long. That is just the way it is. Naturally he isn’t able to say that it is somewhat absurd for fans to expect that this team will turn things around and start winning consistently when everything about their history suggests otherwise. Even if he believed that ownership have higher priorities than fielding a winner he couldn’t say it. And Darren, I’m not presuming to say how you feel because I don’t know. I’m just saying that one can’t expect to get a totally free and honest assessment about an organization from one of their employees.

105. By suspence716 on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Georgiebird-
    “So get your facts straight, we’re trying to be serious here and solve the Cardinals’ problems. If you’re not part of the solution then you’re part of the problem.”
    What are u part of the front office? Ur going to solve the problems? Why don’t u shut it! Everytime someone makes a valid point, such as i did about Jamir Miller, u try to shut it down by saying they were no good. Did u even watch those games with players like Eric Hill and Jamir Miller? The more u comment the more I think people realize how unfootball savvy you really are.

106. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Forget about Mathis. He’s 30 and though pass rushers have a longer shelf life, he a DE working in a 4-3 and will be a free agent next season.
    If you going to go that route, I’d take Daryl Washington’s TCU teammate Jerry Hughes, who despite being third string in Indy, COULD prosper with a change of scenery. (And will make under a mil until 2014.)

107. By Nathan on Oct 15, 2011 | Reply

Any chance the Cardinals open up the dome? I think we should use the heat that our guys are used to practicing in as our advantage, rather than going for the noise factor. I think our chances are better from the heat wearing them down a little rather than the Cardinals keeping our fans in the game to make em loud enough to get those fall starts. Okay that last comment was a little negative, but I still think we should make em dread coming into the desert.
    Your thoughts? And if you do like it pass it on to someone who can get it done! lol thanks.

108. By clssylssy on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Georgiebird, Cardsalltheway, and whoever:
    You all love to wallow in the negative and dwell on the past! No wonder it’s difficult to move forward. Talent? We have talent, allbeit, raw…not all Coach Whisenhunt’s fault…he doesn’t sign the checks, and isn’t the notorious tightwad. He works on a buget dictated by the front office. Drinking the Kool-aid, whatever…at least it doesn’t turn me into an ugly, pompous, sellout.
    I’ll give you your props Georgie for obviously having a knowledge of sports history. That does not make you a fan any more than a history teacher is a founding father. What I don’t get is why you even bother with a team you so obviously loath and have no respect for? I do know that fans support their team through good and bad and I have plenty of experience with that having been in KC before coming to the Valley and CONSCIOUSLY deciding to support my new hometown team becoming a Cards season ticket holder over fifteen years ago. “Rise Up Red Sea”, “We Do This Together”…you find such POSITIVE slogans annoying…and why would that surprise me? The Steeler game is winnable just like the Saints game was with Max Hall. I’ve been to games we’ve won that we technically shouldn’t have…Monty Beisel recovering an onside kick and running it back for a TD in the final moments of the game…comes to mind. Just saying…alot of things go into a win and I can’t see where constant negative griping has any value. Rather than being part of the problem we can CHOOSE to be part of the solution by being supportive. Besides, do you REALLY THINK that anybody is going to follow your free advice? GO CARDS! WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

109. By Darren Urban on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Nathan -

RE: roof

Bottom line is that the roof is closed when it is warmer more because of fan comfort than anything else. That was the biggest problem with Sun Devil Stadium.

110. By NJAZCardsFan on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

The problem with this team is their draft philosophy. They draft the best player available That appears now, that it doesn’t work. There is no pass rush, tackles that can’t block etc. These were glaring needs that needed to be addressed in the off season and weren’t. Now it has come back to haunt this team and the staff from the Front Office on down. The Whiz’s friend’s from Pittsburg aren’t doing real well either. 1-15 = Wholesale changes at the end of the season, especially with the amount of $’s the Bidwill’s have spent this year.
    I seriously doubt this team will win another game this year. Negative no, just realistic…….

111. By suspence716 on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Hey cards fans, the niners just showed how coaching and a good defense equals wins…… who is still drinking the cardinals kool-aid? doesn’t seem too kool anymore! five wins is enough to take this division n the niners got it. i’m really really really disappointed….. Good thing we have like a total of 6 players left on our squad from the super bowl, gross! I like my football team, wish i could say love, but love is a two way street n the cards are only going ONE WAY!!!!!!!!!

112. By Eric on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

I keep hearing about Whiz being on the “hot seat” and the funny thing is, we keep hiring people that can’t get it done because we don’t bring in the right people. Coaches, players, everyone involved. We got lucky with Warner and Haley, but it still doesn’t cover the poor personnel we continually bring in. In my opinion the only thing that will change that is to change the main guys making this decisions. It’s time for a new GM if we want the rights coaches and players it takes to win. It makes me sick to watch SF having all their success because they made the MAJOR changes that were necessary. Meanwhile, the Cards still have the same guy they’ve had since 1994 and we think he can be successful? I love my team, and I’m sick of them being poorly managed and coached. Please, somebody do a reality check and clean this dam house!

113. By Kalib on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

This is a completely random and off topic question… but it has been nagging me for the last couple of years. But do you have any idea why Kurt Warner only played one play in the 2008 pro bowl? He was named the starter but only threw one pass…

114. By Darren Urban on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Kalib –

RE: Warner Pro Bowl

I assume you are talking about his most recent Pro Bowl. He was banged up to the point he really didn’t want to play. But he did so because he felt an obligation. He wasn’t going to stay out there though.

115. By BIIRDISTHEWORD on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

@ everyone bashing the cards..everytime i read some of your comments makes me laugh…you making us look like the tony romo of the nfl…when they do good everybody on the bandwagon…and when they’re not doing so good everybody off and lets talk about how much the cardinals suck…well here’s a simple solution…don’t watch them if the cards vs any team is the only game on tv just go get direct tv so you can get nfl ticket so you can watch whatever game you want…Darren i feel for you dude…constantly reading all these negative comments and usually from the same people…does it ever get old? mad props to you…

116. By georgiebird on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Through all the 60s and 70s, I was the most positive Cardinal fan in the world. I used to brag about the Cardinals to all of my friends and tell them to watch out for all the talent we had. (today these friends still make fun of me and the Cardinals). During the 60s and 70s, I amassed return letters from all the Cardinals head coaches.
    After 20 years of rooting and drinking the kool-aid (and seeing Coryell leave), I began to doubt whether the Cardinals could ever be a consistent winner. The 80s ushered in more losing teams and the move to AZ.-this was so unfair to St Louis fans who were never given a playoff win.
    In my 50th year of rooting , the team failures have just beat me down.
    I know what ails the Cardinals- it’s coaching. Except Coryell, no Cardinal HC has ever been successful anywhere else but many, many players have left the Cardinals and been successful elsewhere (I can probably name 50- Hearst, T.Jones, Harvey, Butz, Fischer, McDonald, Rashad, Jamir Miller, Vanden Bosch, Rice, Novacek etc.
    The Cardinals are a tough team to root for- I doubt any of the young ones complaining about negativity could make it for and long as I have and still want to even discuss Cardinals’ football. One good thing for me is “I’ve have already put most of my time in rooting for the football Cardinals” and I pity those who are in the early stages of a long, long nightmare.

117. By BIG RED on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Hey Cards62 you mention those three wide receiver, but you forgot to mention but who’s gonna throw them the passes. You don’t mean Kolb, he’s terrible at QB position(putting it nicely). Skelton would be better.

118. By Cactus Jeff on Oct 16, 2011 | Reply

Just keep the personnel they had for the Packer playoff game minus Warner and the past 2 years would have been so much fun. They had the talent, pay their own players and build through the draft…..What a waste……

119. By Daniel on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren

may i ask why the cardinals are not using their younger Linebackers instead of joey porter and clark haggans who hasn’t done anything good.

?

120. By clssylssy on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Darren:
    Just curious but has Michael Bidwell ever actually played football at any level (even Pop Warner) in his life?

121. By cardsalltheway on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

clssylssy,
    For someone who seems to have dumped a previous NFL team(KC Chiefs), I find it astounding how you lecture others on the rights/wrongs of being a fan. Pointless don’t you think, not just because you did what you did but simply because? I talk about what matters but don’t quibble about who is/isn’t a fan. It’s like what’s his face telling the mormons they ain’t christians. You ain’t no fan judge, certainly not mine just like what’s his face ain’t no christian judge.
    But you conveniently dodged(IGNORED) my question…
    And since when have the Cardinals been “focused” or consistent after the Bye Week?
    Ken W.’s record following the Bye Week…
    2007 Loss to Tampa Bay Nov. 4th
    2008 Loss to Carolina Oct. 26th
    2009 Win against Houston Oct. 11th
    2010 Loss to Seattle Oct. 24th
    That’s a 1-3 losing record for Ken W. after the Bye Week.

122. By D on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Trade Deadline-

Cards should send their extra 6th round pick to Indy for DE Jerry Hughes….give him rest of the year to learn OLB for a pass rush option for next year

123. By Darren Urban on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

georgie –

RE: Attitude

I have no problem with your criticism. It’s just that the message doesn’t change over and over. You make your point and move on.

124. By Darren Urban on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

Daniel –

RE: LBs

125. By Darren Urban on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

clssylssy –

RE: Bidwill football

I have no idea.

126. By jocards on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

What some folks apparently do not understand is that posting negative comments about the Cardinals does NOT make anybody any less of a fan than those spouting the RED SEA WILL RISE or WE DO THIS TOGETHER slogans…..We do what together exactly? Lose? Red Sea will rise above what? The Rams? It is difficult for me to comprehend how anybody that has been a Cardinals fan for any length of time could believe that criticism is not in order. For me, I’ll never stop rooting for the Cardinals; they’re my team no matter what…..THAT is precisely why I and others are so upset with the constant losing season after season. I’m not going to site the history of this organization here again but I will say that the team has been owned by the Bidwill family for nearly 80 years and they have been one of the least successful franchises in professional sports…It makes me wonder if putting a winning team on the field is a top priority for ownership.

127. By Scott H on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

jocards -

Bravo to you, sir. I support your passion. It is a shame others confuse that with negativity. Sadly, it appears that too many people have become brainwashed by the IN WHIZ WE TRUST / WE DO THIS TOGETHER mentality. These bumper-sticker slogans don’t look so great anymore when the bumper is rusting and falling off the car. It’s time for a new bumper!

I don’t need mindless slogans. I need to see wins on the field. THAT makes me happy. And when you are getting that, you don’t need slogans.

128. By Eric on Oct 17, 2011 | Reply

@cissy, why don;t you go root for a pop warner team or local high school? Your understanding of the game would root well in that venue. I’m sure your one that believes in “participation trophies” as well. Your ignorant rant of “root for the team no matter what”, or my new favorite pre game analysis of yours, “we have home field and a noisy crowd”. Good God, you just don’t get it, so please quit lecturing people that understand this team, and more importantly this game, and move on.

129. By Chuck 1 on Oct 19, 2011 | Reply

Why did you allow suspence716 to post his filthy comment?

130. By Darren Urban on Oct 19, 2011 | Reply

Chuck 1 –

RE: Comment

I apologize. I missed it.

131. By Chuck 1 on Oct 20, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the apology.
    We all miss things occasionally.
    I suggest that all posts by suspence716 should require extra scrutiny.

132. By Darren Urban on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

Chuck 1 –

RE: Scrutiny

I need to be more diligent period. But sometimes, everything becomes a blur on these comments.

133. By Chuck 1 on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

I understand.
    You show a lot of patience with posters like me who are dissatisfied with the performance of the owners, F.O., coaching staff and players.
    IF the team were winning, your job would be easier and there would be no blur.
    Thanks for keeping us informed.