Horton close to going 100 percent with defense

Posted by Darren Urban on October 21, 2011 – 12:50 pm

Defensive coordinator Ray Horton said he’s using 30 percent of his scheme in right now, obviously a low number and something he plans to ramp up quickly. The Cardinals did have a good chunk of the defense available earlier this season but Horton scaled it back after early-season issues.

“This week was the first week I really felt like we could put some new stuff in and next week I am putting everything back in,” Horton said.

With the bye week, he could have put more back in now, but Horton said that was in deference to explosive Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace. “He’s a special guy and you have to respect what he does,” Horton said. “I don’t want a bad matchup with (No.) 17, who is averaging 20 yards a catch, running deep on us.”

Players have been asking for Horton to put more back in but “I didn’t think they were ready. That’s kind of my job.”

– Tight end Todd Heap (hamstring) sat out practice again Friday, although he is listed as questionable for the game. Steelers starters NT Casey Hampton (shoulder), LB James Harrison (eye), G Doug Legursky (toe) and DE Aaron Smith (foot) are all out, while DT Chris Hoke (neck) is doubtful.

Tags:

17 Responses to “Horton close to going 100 percent with defense”

1. By Curtis on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

I know it’s very easy to coach sitting at a computer but I don’t get the whole “30%” now and we’ll ramp it up quickly. Defenses as well as offenses need schemes to be at “100%” not 30 in order to win. Why not put a team a team on the field with only 30% of their gear and see how long players last (unprepared). It sounds like too much of a grand scheme and someone needs to prepare our defense 100% now so we can compete. Save the 30% option for off-season (which there was very little of this year) don’t put it out there to experiment with on Sunday’s.

2. By Austin on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

I personally can’t wait to see if we can come up BIG with our backs against the wall. I have faith in my Cards that they can do it.

3. By D on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

Our DB’s better jam those fast WR’s at the line or it could be ugly..I love ADub, but I don’t see him staying with Wallace

4. By nkd on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

Well thats great news, so does this mean they finally understand the scheme and we should see alot less mistakes against Pitt? Darren, if we lose this game, do you see Scho & Acho getting significantly more time? Its not like they can do much worse then Porter & Haggans. Plus it would be big for their confidence and experience level so they can make a difference next year hopefully.

5. By APCARDS on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

GO CARDINALS! This game is SO important! Let’s win and quiet down those always-present Steeler fans! I Will be there yelling. FINISH!

6. By Darren Urban on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

nkd —

RE: Schofield/Acho

Honestly, I don’t know what is going to happen with them going forward.

7. By D on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

if the Cards lose Sunday and again against Ravens, they should start Acho and Schofield and Housler rest of year to see what they need for next year-
    because they won’t be able to catch SF

8. By Superfuzz on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

Curtis, I think you’re confusing 30% of the playbook with 30% effort. You definitely need “100%” of a commitment to win, but not necessarily your whole playbook if it means guys flat out don’t know half the plays being called.

9. By reap37 on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

I just want to see the Cards play like I know they can. I especially want them to kick the Steelers butt in payback for SB 43. We should have won that game except for for two toes on the ground. GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. By NJAZCardsFan on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

Since this is a home game hopefully the defense won’t miss the plane like they did against the Vikings……. Since this is a home game the defense could just miss the bus…. It will be interesting if the defense shows up at all against the Steelers period…….

11. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

Well, Horton could put 100% of his scheme in the playbook but if the defense only “understands” half of that, you’re going to see mistakes.
    That’s the way they played the first few games until he scaled it back and he still has the wrong players to effectively run a 3-4, IMO.
    Has anyone realized it’s been almost a year since Adrian Wilson had a sack and over 2 years since he forced a fumble?
    And Darnell Dockett who’s had 25 sacks the last 4 seasons has a half of one so far?
    The playmakers on this team are not being utilized correctly.

12. By Scott H on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

Then, there’s the issue of talent….

Seriously, our defense just seems to be a bad mix of too old in some spots and too young at others. Given that, I think this defense has a ceiling on how good it can be right now. My hope is that enough of these young guys will be showing what they can be by the end of this season and that it will be encouraging.

So sad to realize how far we have fallen since that Supr Bowl after the 2008 season. It was tough to watch that Packers-Steelers SB and know that the Cardinals were just as good – or better – than they were such a short time ago…Oh, Kurt Warner, where have you gone????

13. By Canadian Red Bird on Oct 21, 2011 | Reply

Agree totally with AndyStandsUp. Just as Philadelphia has changed their offensive scheme to maximize Vick’s potential so should the Cards in respect to their defensive personnel. It seems so obvious that a 4 – 3 would give us a better chance of winning games; what have we got to lose.

In my opinion the better teams should be able to switch from 3 -4 to 4 -3 pending the situation during the game to keep the offence off balance. Our coaches seem to be great at making excuses, to think that you can actually compete using 30% of your playbook is totally ludicrous. Card fans deserve better.

14. By we miss q on Oct 22, 2011 | Reply

Thank you red bird, why would we not put Dockett, who in my opinion is one of our best playmakers, in position to make plays? We are better suited personnel wise to a 4-3 defence. Ray Horten came in talking about pressure, I have not seen that from our linebackers at all. I believe our d-line will be able to generate such pressure if used correctly. Good coaching in this league is about being able to adjust, so try throwing your scheme out the window and put players in roles they are made for. This is not pitt west, this is Arizona, why not try something new. In the words of red bird, what have we got to lose.

15. By Chuck 1 on Oct 22, 2011 | Reply

It doesn’t matter what percentage of his package that Horton puts in.
    He is forced to try to put square pegs into round holes i.e. playing a 3-4 defense with 4-3 defenders.
    Until Graves and Keim draft players and sign FAs who fit (Whiz’) and Horton’s 3-4 scheme, the defense will flounder.
    The draft of 2012 will be telling.
    As I’ve written before, why did Graves take a RB in round 2 and a FB later when the team NEEDED pass-rushing OLBs and OLmen?

16. By Beanie Beast on Oct 22, 2011 | Reply

If we don’t have the talent/skills to run the 3-4, we should switch back to the 4-3.
    then DD and CC would be getting sacks – would we be in trouble at LB? I don’t think so….Washington’s speed would make plays, Bradley is a 4-3 backer, and Haggans/Porter/Lenon would have to play the other LB position.

17. By cardsalltheway on Oct 22, 2011 | Reply

“Horton close to going 100 percent with defense”
    That is scary, but I thought Halloween was next week. Thanks for the warning though!

nkd,
    “Plus it would be big for their confidence and experience level…”
    I don’t think Ken W. knows or cares much about instilling confidence in players, the QB’s come to mind.