• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Steelers aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on October 23, 2011 – 7:04 pm

Coach Ken Whisenhunt opened his press conference like this: “I don’t have a lot to say.” I think I need to steal the line.

What else is there after Sunday’s loss to Pittsburgh? There were moments where you thought, “OK, maybe here.” Then they disappeared. You hope Kevin Kolb can connect on a couple of those throws – it’s hard to believe that play down the middle to Rob Housler was open again to no avail. You hope the defense can come up with a stop, or at least hold the Steelers to a field goal after LaRod Stephens-Howling electrified the stadium with his 73-yard touchdown reception.

It could have made a difference but the plays aren’t made and that’s what happens with a team that’s reeling. The plays aren’t made. What’s next? A trip to Baltimore, that’s what is next. The Cardinals have to play a lot better than this on a trip like that.

– The health of running back Beanie Wells will be under the spotlight. He left, walking under his own power, with what was called a right knee sprain late in the first half. Whisenhunt said he didn’t know what that meant in terms of time, and my early guesstimate is that we’re not going to know so the Ravens will be guessing all week. Obviously, the Cardinals need a healthy Wells badly.

– The inability to sustain some momentum just keeps coming back to bite the Cards. With the Cards trailing 7-0, the place exploded when Kolb hit Larry Fitzgerald for a 31-yard gain out to the Arizona 41-yard line, and then rookie fullback Anthony Sherman made a beautiful snare over the middle for a 15-yard gain. The Cards even got a pass interference call against Pittsburgh a couple plays later. But the drive then stalled with a loss on a Beanie run, an incompletion and a sack.

– You have to be wary and make the plays, but man, is Mike Wallace fast.

– The defense has to come up with rebound stops – the possessions by the other team after an Arizona score. With less than two minutes left in the first half, the Steelers managed to get a field goal after the Cards got their first touchdown. And of course, there was the TD drive after Stephens-Howling’s TD.

– Cards had some NFL firsts Sunday. Linebacker Sam Acho had his first sack, running back Alfonso Smith his first touchdown, receiver DeMarco Sampson his first catch.

– Stephens-Howling took out a couple of kickoffs that were pretty deep, and the Cards ended up without the greatest field position, because the Steelers had good coverage. Stephens-Howling said he did ask special teams coach Kevin Spencer if he should change things up, but Spencer said to keep doing what he was doing.

– Whisenhunt repeated again the looking at “what we do and who we’re doing it with” line. I know everyone – or many, at least – are wondering about Kolb. I don’t expect a change. If nothing else, you want to find out about him this year, and the season is only six games old. My guess, though, is that the quarterback is going to be a bigger and bigger story — if he isn’t already.

I’m trying to come up with a good walkoff line. No dice. Not after this one today.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

123 Responses to “Steelers aftermath”

1. By Chris Minton on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

No dice, but this team still craps out each week. Frustrating.

2. By Brad on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Can’t wait for the comments from Whiz and several players:

“We will fix our mistakes”
    “We will get better”
    “Everyone just has to do their own job and we will be successful”

Signed,
    Frustrated Fan

…next week will be much better.

3. By DontTakeLoses on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Hey:

… new QB, lost #2 RB and #1 half the time is out, new DC, two formerly fine OLBs that can’t get it done anymore, an apparently bare cupboard there … and a couple/3 dozen new players and no training camp. This is what that looks like… not pretty. But I agree with Kolb, it will get better.

There is no question Kolb can make those throws… whether he chokes, who knows. But I KNOW he can and will make those throws at some point. Unhappy but undaunted, still love my Cards… still will support them thick and thin. Just need to them to believe in themselves a bit more…

4. By CORMAC on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Well I have to say, I was pretty sad today. KOLB didnt do too great, but who do we have thats better? One thing I do think, is that if he makes alot of mistakes he should be punished the way Whiz used to do in the old days. He would sit Kurt , or Matt if they started doing crappy, fumbled whatever. He does it to the running backs , why not the Quarterbacks? It might light a fire under some peoples underpants, and create some competition at the position.

It could be for just one series, but just make a statement….Clean up the mistakes and mental errors.

5. By Gilbert on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

In little league they taught us to deal with losses. Unfortunately for the cards it’s taking longer to find rythim. I still support this team. I’ll be there if God willing in the San Fran game. Because I’m from Texas. Go Cards

6. By Phoenixraven1 on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Skelton anyone?

7. By az1965 on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

“Stephens-Howling said he did ask special teams coach Kevin Spencer if he should change things up, but Spencer said to keep doing what he was doing.”

Why would you? “The system works”…

8. By nkd on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

well all i got to say at this point is keep playing hard, keep practicing hard, keep believing and eventually its all gonna come together. keep faith cards fans dont give up on your team, and also to the players, keep faith and dont give up on yourselves or eachother. its so embarrassing when the steelers fans come into our house by the hundreds. smh lets do this damn thing!

9. By TucsonTim on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

You forgot the other NFL first for the Cards, giving up a 95 yard TD pass to the Steelers.

So Darren, do you think the interim coach will come from within the organization, like Russ Grimms son, or do you think they interviewed some of the Steeler coaches while they were here in AZ?

10. By TucsonTim on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

BTW, was out of town didn’t see the game. Just read about Wells. Do you think he might have durability issues?

11. By seansolo on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Start Acho and Shoffield …. sign T.O. we need him and hope for the best or just keep losing and hope for Luck next year

12. By Joram on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

The cards should of won

13. By Ubranwearsaturban on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Urban, you execute like the Cardinals. The post game video shows one pass play instead of the post game interviews.

14. By JPK Sr. on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

I have been a long suffering Cardinals fan for 50 years and this is the worst I have felt ever. Time for me to move on. Good riddance Cards.

15. By Chris on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Maybe its finally time that Whiz gives up the reigns as OC and gets someone who can mix it up a little better…..

16. By Brandon on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Any thoughts on the fact that 90% of the cardinals stadium was steelers fans today. I was shocked by how many few red jersey’s I saw. It was like a home game for the steelers.

17. By Havasu Tom on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, Starting to get frustrated Darren. Two weeks off and nothing is coming together. Kolb can’t keep from trowing behind everyone, the D-backs can’t stay with receivers, and the O-line can’t give Kolb anytime.
    Fitz had some great catch’s. Special teams did good.
    Please don’t blow any smoke and give us something to be excited about the rest of the season?

18. By INSOMAN1ATIC on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Kevin Kolb needs to be benched immediately, and whoever pulled the trigger on the trade needs to be shown a pink slip by Tuesday morning.

19. By NJAZCardsFan on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

A few positives- I thought Daryl Washington looks like he is going to be a beast. DeMarco Sampson had a nice grab. Of all things the offensive line looked liked it was doing a very decent job of pass blocking,
    Now the negative…. the defense seems like it missed the bus for the game AGAIN!!

If Kolb wore Derek Anderson’s jersey from last year this game, one would not be able to tell the difference between the two. He is going to be the biggest bust in NFL trade history…… START SKELTON. Only the Colts are worst in the NFL than the Cards.

20. By lucky duck on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Looks like Andrew Luck may in the future…

21. By Bruce P on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Am I the only one that is wondering when Grimm’s name is going to come up? How long do you keep blaming the players before you start looking at the coach that has had 5 years to give us an offensive line that can give a pocket passer some protection? I’m no guru (by any definition), but Kolb isn’t getting enough time, and he is HORRIBLE outside of the pocket (and sometimes even IN the pocket).

But he has an arm… and given time, he has the ability to hurt the other team. But he needs more than 2 1/2 seconds in the pocket.

OF COURSE… there are many other issues… but this one keeps me wondering after every loss.

22. By ron werner on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

fire wiz and graves !!!!! kolb what a joke defense line joke

23. By Scott H on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Well, unlike the 24-point loss to the Vikings, it’s hard to really get frustrated after a loss to the Steelers. I mean, really, what were you expecting? If you were being realistic – AS OPPOSED TO FOOLISHLY OPTIMISTIC – what could you have reasonably expected? I actually thought it would be worse. But I don’t think I have to wait long for “worse” because I’m pretty sure that’s what’s coming in Baltimore. We’re 1-5 and we’re 7 days away from being 1-6. And there ain’t no relief in sight.

Beanie injured again? Really? How surprising…it pretty much happens every other game at this point.

This defense is just plain horrible. And I hesitate to blame Horton because I really don’t know if these guys can play any better. Again – too old at some spots, too young at others.

Yes, Mike Wallace is FAST!!! Crazy fast. It’s a shame when you see a guy like Wallace coming and you feel like there’s nothing we can do to stop him – and that’s exactly what happens.

Like Whiz, I got nothing else. What else is there to say??? This team is awful, this season is a disaster, and I think the only question to ponder at this point is does Whiz even make it to the end of the season??? My guess is that he will ( out of respect for what was accomplished during his tenure ), but I think he’s gone right after the season ends.

Somewhere right now, Anquan Boldin is licking his chops….

24. By Christo on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

How many games does Whiz have left? Seriously. Does he come back if this is a 3 win season?

25. By Jesse Robles on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Phoenix Cardinals, if you are going to talk the talk, walk the walk. I am tired of hearing excuses. Actions speak louder then words, I have heard a lot, but haven’t seen anything. Pretty much tired of it AGIAN, do something, you are horrible.

26. By Gtouch on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Please put in Skelton!

27. By reap37 on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

What can one say after this performance. I thought it couldn’t possibly be worse than last year. I was wrong. I can’t believe that this group of talented players could look so hapless. You know they’ll be 1-6 after next week and not even sure they can beat the Rams. Now that the hope for playoffs is completely gone, what does this team do?

28. By Darren Urban on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Brandon –

RE: Steelers fans

Obviously I’d rather not see that. But I can’t tell people who to root for, that they should attend games, or that they shouldn’t sell their seat to Steelers fans. I don’t think it was 90 percent Pitt fans, however. Not even close.

29. By Darren Urban on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Havasu Tom –

RE: Getting excited

Not sure what you want me to say.

30. By SHAR on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

When we gonna get a win, I am wondering!! I am wondering when every1 is gonna come 2gether and get it done already. We already n2 so many games and all we have 2 show 4 it is one win, so what happens now. We just gonna keep losing!! I still believe n my team, always will be here 2 cheer yall on, but we gotta make every effort and make the “TEAMWORK” work!!! Go Cards!!

31. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

i dont care about winning anymore, i just want to see my guys make some plays so i can at leased have a highlight to watch

32. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Boldin is going to torch us next week, remember week 1 back in 03 against detroit?

33. By Jose Gilbert on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

I’m trying to stay positive and will always support the Cards, but right now I’m really glad the Eagles didn’t get a 1st rounder out of the deal – then it would have been DRC and Luck for Kolb…
    Clean it up, somebody make a play, the system works, blah, blah, blah.

34. By BIG RED 66 on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

A real fan would say “we do this together or rise up red sea” and a REALIST would say Whiz n Punt needs to go. Horrible coaching and horrible QB. Skelton looked better as a rookie than Kolb will ever look. If a real fan wins the powerball this week please pay Whiz n Punt to go away and take that loser Kolb with him.

35. By CardiacCards on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Put in Skelton at least he has some pocket presence.

36. By joez on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

loveable losers…
    pathetic how many pitt fans got seats . This is becoming a JOKE.
    Kolb plays like a corn dog. Want to see John be the QB, i cant stand watching Kevin play anymore, total amature.
    Horriable Play Calls, coaches looked out of it from the start. What a Joke! Last years team would wipe the floor with this mess of a team (if u can call it a team, seems like no one is playing together; players and coaches). Im done till i see John at QB and this ridiculouse defense scrapped.

37. By Ken on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Check out “Fire Ken Whisenhunt” of facebook…we need to get Bidwill’s attention. Ken Stinks!

38. By Firemagoo on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

First series the D was flying to the ball and then blown coverage, easy TD and they never looked the same. well time for draft discussions. shot at 1st ovrall but not likely. I think top 5 and have to get OLB or T. Baltimore is gonna be ugly. Don’t let your kids watch.

39. By brythybo7 on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

I would love to see Chip Kelly (Oregon) or Chris Peterson (Boise) get hired for HC after this season. We need something new, because Whiz cant get it done. Bring in some coaches that arent constantly trying to create the Steelers in the west.

40. By Jesse Robles on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Only WHIZ would say that Bartel is better than Skelton, what a joke. Kind of like Z punter who ever the HECK he is, is better than Graham. Nice knowing you WAZ, you stink, cards stink, like a realist would say. Stop hanging on to this Michael Bidwell, you win some you lose some. Bite the bullet and make changes this off season. Guys a joke.

41. By Matthew on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

gosh darn this is just so disgracing. I’m surprised AZ still has a team. One thing i liked was Daryl Washington but thats about it. At the end of the day though he will probably leave like Dansby did. We are just terrible, and i say we trade Fitz so he doesnt waste his career as a lame stupid cardinal

42. By SeeingRed on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Always amazed at how this team seems to play worse when the opposing team is missing key players…it’s never an advantage for the Cards. Anyone know Whiz’s record for the games following the bye week? Seems like having one is never an advantage for us either.

Not saying this out of emotion or anything because I was in favor of the Kolb trade (although I was hoping for Palmer) but I really would like to see Skelton at some point. I couldn’t help but think about how we had our own Big Ben. He has the cannon arm, is not afraid to step up in the pocket like Happy Feet Kolb, and is still very mobile. He would be tough to bring down as well…I know it aint gonna happen this year but it would be nice to see.

Good to see our young corners getting a little better each week although the new guy from Carolina has proven to be worthless thus far.

Last thing I will say is this…at some point this staff/front office has to realize that in order to build a team of consistency such as Pittsburgh you have to keep more of those “core” guys around who have been your most reliable play-makers..I’m thinking Anquan Boldin and /or Breaston here..They are too fast to move on to younger (cheaper) players. You need to keep them around for ALL the things they bring to the table. You put all your money into Fitz and cant do nothing with him because he is triple covered. Pittsburgh still has a bunch of guys it seems have been there forever. As of now, it looks like Whiz and Co. are starting over from scratch trying to build a winning culture etc.

Whiz also needs to stop living off prior successes such as his SB win with Pitt, our SB appearance in 09, his Pitt connections etc…time to move on and try some fresh strategies etc. Still have confidence in him but getting harder with each loss.

43. By Mikey on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

If this team isn’t even gonna play like they want to win or play full hearted they might has well loss out the rest of the season so we can get a high draft. When will we get coaches and management that know how to put a team together? We got luck two years with Kurt and having a winning team. Maybe we should change the team mascot and totally rebuild I mean EVERYONE one knows cardinals is a St Louis thing anyways. Let start everything over from scratch at lease we will have a reason to suck. I love the fact that we have 4 more year with a QB I knew was a bust from day one. Seriously what team pays big money for unproven players? Oh yeah we do ALL the time.

44. By Mikey on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

BTW I know we weren’t gonna win against the Steelers but I was expecting the team to come together and fix the mistake they been talking about for weeks now.

45. By PhXDirtYBallerZ on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

kolb is average a c- qb, pretty much stinks, i think he is not what philly described him, coach or management should get fired because they got the cards in this whole mess, and we gave up too much for kolb im pretty tired with coach whiz, the cards should dump him and get bill coward lol lookin foward to the 2012 draft.Coach your time is up you screwed up by running our players outtah here *BoldiN and why didnt you get a #2 wr when every1 knew larry was gonna get doubled this year.Oh yea rather have DrC then #21 right now looks like patrich petterson is overhyped maybe it was that lsu program that made him shine because DrC didnt struggle that much in his rookie year.Oh yea kolb sucks because he gots SmaLL Hands and cant handlle the football lame LoL.

46. By Phoenixraven1 on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

That was our game but our D just doesn’t have the play makers…Peterson is not coming along too. Kolb…just don’t know what to say. Sometimes it feels like watching DA again…then he excites you…very frustrating. Kolb’s ridiculous end zone/safety was the stuff of a journey man QB not a franchise QB.

47. By carolyn on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Need to sit Kolb out and use Bartel…they are hunger to try and make a difference. But coach whiz maybe needs to go also????? Maybe bring in some of the 2nd string they are all fighting to try and make a difference. TELL YOU WHAT THE STADIUM HAD JUST AS MUCH STEELERS FANS I THINK THEY WERE LOUDER THEN THE CARD’S FANS. THAT WAS SO SICK!!!!
    we left begining of the 4th qurter along will all the other card’s fans. steelers fans had the place for themselves!!!

48. By Ron Rodgers on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

I have nothing more to say, GOODBY Cards

49. By cardsalltheway on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Ken W. jinxed himself in the 2010 preseason(M. Leinart) by making one of the worst(if not the worst) QB decisions I’ve ever known and countless others since then. The guy is down and out.

50. By AZ Fan in WA on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Ouch! This season is starting to affect my mood. I might have to tune out and pay way less attention. At this point it would almost be better to continue to loose. Hard to think of a season as gone with 10 games left but it just might be. I hope we can keep the right pieces intact…..

51. By cardsalltheway on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Kolb’s 1st series interception…occured on 1st and 10 with empty backfield and 4 wideouts. Ken W. must not believe in Beannie vs Steelers 2nd and 3rd string defensive players. Pathetic, and it sure didn’t fool Steelers DE Lawrence Timmons(94).

52. By dan on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

Schofield is SO MUCH more explosive than Porter and I don’t even want to talk about Haggans. Schofield is a stud and needs to be on the field most of the time. Whiz is a stubborn SOB. Andre Roberts needs to take ballet or something, football is not his game. I have a lot more confidence is Sampson than I do Roberts. Roberts is below average at best.

53. By dan on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

On the Wallace TD u see Adrian Wilson tell the DBs to play deep and look what happens………..what a joke.

54. By Jeremy on Oct 23, 2011 | Reply

All you guys bashing Kolb and comparing him to Da need to get your facts straight. Last year we were 31st in passing yards, this year 14th and Kolb isn’t even playing as good as he can. Not to mention he just had 272 yards and 2 TDs against the best pass defense in the NFL. Guess what else Kolb is better at? Completion percentage: DA: 51%, KK: 58%.

I think all you who think the Cards are as bad if not worse than last year are forgetting just how bad they were. Our defense gave up so many points last year and our offense couldn’t move the ball at all. Sure we’re 1-5 but we’re still better than last year overall. The main reason why we won any games at all last year is because our defense often times outscored our offense in the games that we won.

Also worth noting: KK has yet to start a total of 16 games in his career, Ray Horton only had a month to install the defense which simply wasn’t enough time, and we lost to the team that finished 32nd last year in the Carolina Panthers. This year, however, we beat a much better Carolina team.

Finally, when we fast off against great teams last year, we were usually blown out (Atlanta, Chargers). This year, we have lost to great teams but not by nearly as many points.

That said, the Cards still aren’t good, but they are much better than last year. If only their record reflected that…

55. By Dennis on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Skelton was the backup today and for awhile in the fourth quarter I thought he might have got the call. After all he has won more games for the Cards than Kolb in his career. Kolb is supp. to be 6″3″; but seems to play like he’s 5’9″ Running around as soon as his first receiver is not open and can’t make the touch passes down the seam. Skelton is 6’6′ and from what I saw last year he has a good arm, hangs in the pocket and has good touch on his passes. I don’t remember him running for his life last year. Plus I bet he knows the offense scheme better than Kolb. I know we paid a lot of money for Kolb; but we need to shake things up and win a few games. Maybe Kolb needs the challenge of being replaced.

56. By J K on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

To me it looked like some of the mistakes Kolb was making were based on a lack of timing and trust with the receivers. Balls being thrown out of position shows a lack of familiarity with the speed of receivers and their quickness in and out of cuts. The Housler pass was a big let down, but I think you can chalk that one up to Kolb assuming Housler was going to make a softer and more rounded move up the seam around the defender. I’m not ready to call him a bust yet like some are, but he certainly is showing some tendencies that need to be fixed. Like the number of tipped passes. Mainly I think his biggest problem right now is that he’s missing the main passing windows designed within the system. I’ve seen guys open but they’re usually not the #1 or 2 receiver in the play design. He has a lot of work to do on his progressions. In my opinion time is the only thing that will help him here. I do feel like he will drastically improve in that area. He’s got the fire, work ethic and passion. His arm is better than any of our other QB’s on the roster. Fans just need to give him time. In all reality if you take him out and put in any of our other QB’s you’re going to see a lot of the same timing and familiarity mistakes.

The main thing that still bothers me about this team is those OLB’s. For God’s sake put Acho and Schofield in there and let them learn on the job. I really don’t know why Whiz is still using our veterans on as many plays as he is. On some plays the pressure was getting there up the middle but all Roethlisberger had to do was scramble to the outside where our OLB’s were MIA. I mean… Joey Porter… when was the last time anybody heard an announcer call his name? He’s getting absolutely brutalized out there every week. Correct me if I’m wrong, but ROLB is generally going to be your money making pass rusher in a 3-4 defense, is it not? Where in the hell was Joey Porter??? Where has he been all season? 1 sack. 6 games. Are you serious? Clark Haggans… 1 sack as well. I mean… wow. Either schematically this defense is just awful or these two are simply not getting it done. A 3-4 defense relies on play makers at OLB. See the Steelers for how it’s supposed to be done. Need I remind anybody that James Harrison wasn’t even playing today?

Harrison has only played in 4 games this season. He was injured during one of them. Yet he still has 23 tackles and 2 sacks. Lamarr Woodley has 34 tackles and 7 sacks in 7 games.

Joey Porter has played in all 6 games so far this year. He has 16 tackles and 1 sack. Clark Haggans has also been in all 6 games. He has 17 tackles and 1 sack. Neither guy, in 6 games, has put up numbers even close to what Harrison did in less than 4 games. Unless Haggans or Porter get 17 tackles next Sunday they won’t be anywhere close to Woodley either. You can bet your bottom dollar that’s not going to happen next week.

All I’m saying is- it’s pretty clear where the problem is at defensively. Granted the Steelers and Cardinals don’t run the exact same defense, but I think we can all agree we need more production from our OLB’s. A boat load and then some more. You can’t expect our young and injury depleted DB’s to cover these receivers week in and week out when they’ve got no pass rush to support them. So step up OLB’s. (By the way DB’s- The fans have seen your blown coverages and poor play execution out there, too. So don’t think we fans are putting it ALL on the OLB’s.)

Bottom line for me is that this team is simply not putting its best efforts out there on the field. Like Whiz says- somebody needs to step up and make a play. I got pissed off when Darren put up the blog about the Cardinals players smack talking last week, but it was for this very reason. They are in no position to talk smack to anybody. They are flat out embarrassing Cardinals fans. Yeah, I spent the majority of this post calling out our OLB’s, but I get to do that as an idiot fan. When you’re a player on the field you don’t get to do that. You either step up and make up for their lack of production, motivate them to do more, or get them the hell out of the way. You don’t run your mouth, high five your boys, and talk smack on winning organizations like the Steelers. Because that winning organization just made you all look like a bunch of chumps. For the 5th week in a row somebod did that. Instead of flapping your gums how about you grab your sack, shut the … up, and man the … up out on the field. Talk is cheap.

I know nobody here wants to hear me, an idiot fan who doesn’t know a quarterback from a cornerback talk, but more importantly nobody wants to hear these Cardinals talking either. They want to see the team win. So let’s all shut up and go do it.

57. By ddoggphx on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

The System Works(tm)

Whis finally got his Steelers West…of course it was in the stands and not on the field. Can he stfu and gtfo now? And take the Steeler retreads with him? He has systematically dismantled the talent that Green left him. Green couldn’t coach, Whis can’t motivate or tell Graves who to bring in other than “see if they played for the steelers, if so, get ‘em.”

Smart? Nope. Tough?. Uh, like Kleenex, especially mentally. Disciplined? Hell no.

We lose this together. We’re all in…with a pair of twos.

We fans are done with the slogans, the bs and the Whisitude. Obviously, the team can clean up some mistakes. Clearly, the system works (under warner) and like I said, we just need to execute.

When a team “just needs to execute the system that works” six weeks in a row, the coach needs to look HARD at the system and why it isn’t working…and fix it.

Graves…begone…you are not a GM, you are a coach proxy…Whis, begone and take the steeler trash with you.

Mike Bidwill, grab this damn franchise and shake it back up again. A real GM that knows football, and a coach that doesn’t blabber on about how the players can’t execute his brilliant schemes….that will be a good start. #fixitmike

58. By UC on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I’m imagining a Cardinals team that dealt with ALL of it’s players with integrity and respect, and not just the players whom the organization favored. A team that didn’t belittle certain players by making petty complaints about them, or try to play mind games with some of them, or chase some of them away for nonsensical reasons. That team, therefore, would still include Q, THT, Breaston, DRC, Branch, Graham, and possibly even Leinart. A team that behaved rationally and responsibly by giving Leinart a chance to show what he had or had not learned during his time spent backing up Warner, and while rationally and responsibly taking the time to determine this, had by default won the NFC West in 2010 for the third straight year. A team that was playing to the strengths of it’s defensive personnel, instead of having an egomaniacal coach trying to force a recreation of another team’s idealized utopia, and was therefore running a very sound, fairly productive 4-3. A team that was competent enough to move Levi Brown from a position at which he is failing, to a position at which he could very possibly excel. A team that was flexible enough to smartly adapt game plans during the games in which they weren’t working, and was flexible enough to call plays that were neither predictable nor repeated variations of previously failed pass attempts.

I would really have liked to see that team. I don’t know who the head coach of that team would be, but I certainly know who the head coach of that team would not be.

59. By Rugbymuffin on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Same old Cardinals

No QB, No OL, no defense, no hope, and no future.

60. By GW on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

The cards need a top notch coaching staff because whiz and his buddies are not getting the job done i said before that i see players giving up and the locker room will start to talk.IF YOU LISTEN TO DAN DIERDOFF a life time st. louis card. he said the cards had one of the best wr. corps. in the league,also that DD is best suited in a 4-3 def

61. By cards62 on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Our defense can sure make opposing QBs and WRs look good..Cleveland and Seattle are even licking their chops to play us.

Cards fans I just do not understand why we did not take a chance on Curry or someone else like Hughes for a late draft pick. Scoefield was a gamble in the 4th round coming off major knee injury and we took a gamble. I am just trying to understand our moves this year and more importantly our lack of moves and I just do not get it.

Beanie has ran well this year, but there is a reason he had the nick name Beanie Baby at OSU. Sure hope Williams recovers as we will need 2 starting backs as long as we have Beanie.

Nice to see LSH earn a TD. Did you see how LSH outran their entire defense and did you see who came into the picture racing past everyone else? It was A. Roberts. Our offense weapons sure look quicker than Pittsburg Defense unfortunately we can not throw to Roberts like they can to Wallace.

Very frustrating season. I am not seeing improvement in our team I will be surprised if Bidwill’s do not make a move after this season.

Go Cards.

62. By Nick Pepe on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Just another horrible Monday at work. Any got tix for the Baltimore game, I’ll take them. I will continue to support through thick or thin.

63. By CardsFool on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Time? How much time does Kolb need? Are the receivers being blanketed by the defense? Watch Brees with his quick release. It should not take more than 4-5 seconds to make your reads and release the ball on most passing plays. To expect your O-line to hold a block for much longer is ridiculous. How about some more creative play-calling that helps receivers get open quickly? Eventually the short completions will bring the defense in and that opens Fitz and Doucet up for the long ball.

64. By cardsalltheway on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Ken W. is like Wade Phillips except Wade is more likable. Also, Wade semed to care more about his Cowboy team losing than Ken W. cares about the Cardinals losing. Tick tock, tick tock…

65. By OhioCardsFan on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Also wondering if we paid too high a price for Kolb. Trying to be reasonable here, but not seeing that he’s much of an improvement from Derek Anderson. Taking sacks that kill our drives. Missed Rob Housler who was wide open and could have walked in for a TD. Short hopped Larry on a pass. The intentional grounding that resulted in a safety. I have been trying to ignore all the calls for John Skelton, but at this point, what do we have to lose? The Vikes had a big time trade bust with McNabb, the coach decides to start Ponder, and even though they lost, they played the Packers close. Whiz needs to do something, otherwise, I don’t think he’ll survive a potential 3 win season.

66. By cardsalltheway on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

If the Rams put a walloping on the Cardinals in 2 weeks then I expect to hear Red Birds BOOOING and thank goodness it’s a week after Halloween or Ken W. would probably say or mistake the boooing for ghosts cheering.

67. By Canadian Red Bird on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

We traded the guy who could have stayed with Wallace all day long. New offensive Coordinator needed immediately along with a new head coach, defensive coordinator, offensive line coach, general manager etc etc. Whiz’s presser yesterday looked identical to Week 2,3,4,& 5.( what a joke )

68. By Louisville Card on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren nice article as always. Unfortunately this team can’t seem to win and as you know Darren I’ve been a big supporter of Whiz, but with everything the front office did this off season if we only win a couple of games can they seriously bring whiz back next season? Especially with Cower and Fischer available as coaches?

I can see giving Whiz a partial pass for no off season and all the new players but if we only win 3 games there’s no viable excuse for that other than Crappy coaching with the talent on this team?

69. By Dean on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

When LSH returned a kickoff from deep in the end zone I said out loud, “Why is he doing that; he continually sets us up in bad field position.” My 8-year-old son replied, “Because a LSH return is the Cardinals’ best chance of scoring.” You know what? He’s right. How sad. We have absolutely no offensive chemistry at all, which is why the defense is constantly on the field. Of course, the fact that the defense can’t get off the field doesn’t help the offense’s chemistry either. What a storm of bad circumstances this season has turned out to be.

70. By steve on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I think ownership should assess the head coaching job… before season’s end… I know they honor contracts around there but the man is really losing the team!!! It looks like the team doesn’t know what it’s doing and these penalties are just ridiculous… I think you have a possible replacement in Grimm –so rather than let Whisenhunt go 1-15, maybe at the 1-9 mark give Grimm a chance –if the team plays no better, then go find some young hot shot with fire and emotion ‘ala Harbaugh’.
    I like Whisenhunt as a person, he appears to be a class act, but as a coach he lacks fire— most of the successful coaches are high energy, volatile guys (Cowher, Parcells, Ryan) — and the denmre coaches (like Whisenhunt) are trendsetters and creative (Walsh, Belichek) and I see nothing innovative from him..
    He can only blame himself for this mess, he created a quarterback controversy, in retrospect if he had given Leinart a chance and Leinhart stunk, then everybody in Cardinal nation would have understood.. You trade away alot for an unproven backup –and it appears that this guy has “NO” pocket awareness (is that fixable with time?) so what does the future hold??
    Lastly the team that went to the super bowl was a team pretty much built via drafts by Dennis Green!!

71. By Jesus on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

not doing an onside kick just shows that Whiz has no will or desire to win.
    if the coach doesn’t play to win why should the team. right!
    Also they did trade up to get Skelton, why not just give him a shot.

72. By brad oneill on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

the safety was completely on Kolb, he had to see the guy unblocked and instead of either throwing it or stepping forward and taking the sack he stepped backwards into the endzone.

the miss to housler was again on Kolb. maybe housler ran the route different than king or heap does in practice but he had time to make sure the ball would get to the rookie and didn’t.

That said, Kolb is a young player in a new system bad things are going to happen. he will learn from his mistakes and get better. it is not time to start calling for skelton or bartel.

Clark Haggins has been a great player for a long time but he looked old and hesitant at times. maybe it was just a bad game but I can’t help but think Haggins is swimming upstream this year. It also amazes me that our rushers seem to engage blockers instead of going around them, there have been a number of plays where it looks like our guys could be getting around protection and instead turn into and engage the blocker. i also see a lot of our defensive guys trying to make choices and being caught in the middle. either go after the qb or cover the guy they are making decisions during the play that should have been made before it started. commit and go. if you have to think about it its too freaking late. you are beat. so at least hit the quarterback instead of looking like an idiot paused 5 feet from either possible play.

73. By elimatees on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

@Brandon
    I’d put it closer to 70%. Ask yourself, why are there so many Steeler fans? It’s easy to root for a winner. Do you want to be a follower or a leader? Cardinal fans are leaders. It takes a lot of balls to be a Cards fan.

74. By AB on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

The Cards should move Larod Stephens-Howling to WR. He could be the next Wes Welker.

Larod stands 5’7″ 185 lbs.

Wes stands 5’9″ 185 lbs.

I don’t know the significance of Beanie’s injury, but Beanie along with Alfonso moving up in the depth chart, this could make sense.

75. By georgiebird on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Cards and Whiz have too much of an investment in Kolb for a change at QBs to happen. Signing Kolb is turning into a disaster because he is turning out to be a project. If we all knew that Kolb would take 2-3 years to be decent, then no one would have supported the trade-Skelton would have been a better option and still is. The Kolb trade like the DA signing is another example of poor player evaluation.
    More than anything, the hiring of Ray Horton was a disaster. Horton only knows what he learned from LeBeau and it doesn’t fit here. As I stated on many occasions, the DC hiring should have been a major priority just because of the long history of bad Cardinal defenses. And as, I believe, you implied, Darren, the ineptitude of the Cardinals’ defensive is never as obvious as after our offense scores.
    So as we wait for the Bidwills to wake up, I think we can all say without much dispute- “Thank you Kurt for the wonderful Super Bowl season”.

76. By David C. on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I’ve been preaching to you for over two years that Whisenhunt’s success was tied to Kurt Warner and the team Denny Green built. I pointed to Whisehunt’s personnel mistakes, and his handling of Leinart specifically as blunders that would set the franchise back. Now that we’re 1-5, in our second losing season, can we now all agree it’s time for a coaching change? Also, do you know the exact amount of money guaranteed to Kolb? I’m interested to know if there’s any kill switch in the deal after year one or two. Thanks!

77. By Chuck 1 on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

So, some fans believe that the Cards have talented players?
    Beam me up.
    At the best, 3-13.
    With “luck” (pun intended), Graves might have an opportunity to draft Luck.
    But, do you really think that he would? No, he’d pick an Offensive Tackle. :) :)

78. By CHRIS on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

It’s very difficult to win in this league without a good QB. We don’t have a good QB, we don’t even have a marginal QB.

Even worse, how does Rod Graves still have a job? This is not only one of the oldest rosters in the league, but one of the worst. I know that the word is that Rod is just a figurehead who negotiates contracts, but this team and organization needs a real GM with control of personnel. No more Pittsburgh retreads or wasted early round picks. This team is old, bad, and the cupboard is bare.

Let the blackouts begin. Same. Old. Cardinals.

79. By Darren Urban on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Louisville –

RE: Future

Nothing is going to happen during the season. And there are still 10 games and 10 weeks to go to evaluate what will happen in the offseason.

80. By Darren Urban on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

David C –

RE: Kolb deal

Next season, $1 million of his salary is guaranteed and he has a $7 million roster bonus (not sure when it is due, but probably in March like most roster bonuses). He makes $9M in 2013 with a $2M roster bonus.

81. By maham on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I can’t believe there are still fans accepting faults such as the new defensive system, the new players/coaches.

There are plenty of teams dealing with similar, if not worse, situations and they seem to be able to manage more than one win.

82. By AZ Fan in WA on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

UC -
    Haven’t been a fan of everyone calling for Whiz’s head but I have to admit I snapped my fingers when I read your post…

83. By Cactus Jeff on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Why didnt they sign Boldin, Dansby etc….cheap
    Why didnt they sign a number 2 WR or trade for brandon lloyd…..cheap
    So why won’t they fire Whiz…….CHEAP

84. By MIKE G on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Tough loss for the Cards yesterday. The turnover to start the game on the first drive set the tone for the game. The safety, penalties and missed throws really hurt as well. You just cant do that against a good team like the Steelers. Losing Beanie was also a killer– I thought he had a couple nice runs but his durability is an issue. Can we count on him for a full season??? With Baltimore next week– this is a tough deal for a young football team. This is the rough part of the schedule–team needs a win in the worst way. Defense couldnt stop them after the nice run and catch by Hyphen. Starting to believe we just dont have the horses right now–young players just need to improve and grow together as a team. Hey Darren–On the safety — Did you think Kolb had time to release the ball when Woodley was in his face??? He has to get rid of it there!!! He seems to always take a couple backward steps when the rusher comes toward him!!! At this point as a QB he seems to shy away from contact!!!

85. By In fitz we trust on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

hey darren, givin the fact that kolb will probaby be the qb next year aswell, i saw ur post about kolbs contract figures, if he does not perform, would u expect us to pull a matt leinart move, or would u suspect kolb getting 2more seasons to prove himself??? i mean hes already 27, 30 is not too far away. ever since kolb too that hit against washington ( when he acctually stayed in the pocket and hit fitz for a 80yard td) i have not seen the same presence, he is obviously scared of pressure, which is not a good characteristic for a 4th year qb. all tht said, i will enjoy getting my game tickets cheaper!

86. By Travis on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

It’s hard to watch… I held season tickets for 8 years(Not as long as some, still a significant investment!) After seeing how the owners and players really feel about us(the hard working salary payers), I opted to not renew. Now, after seeing Matt and Tim and Beanie contantly berated and criticized for making mental errors, it’s hard to watch the team stick with what’s broke!

It’s way to harsh to put all the blame on Kolb. Sure he hasn’t been what he was supposed to be, but who knew?! We took a chance, and I appreciate that. Skelton is a winner: big, tough, strong and mobile. He needs to show what he has got!

I am sick and tired of hearing about the lack of an offseason to install the D, or Kolb not having a chance to learn the O, or any of that CRAP! San Fran has a new staff and EVERYTHING! They are blowing the division away!

Bone headed philosphy is bone headed philosphy. A spade is a spade. The Cards suck, we are surely ruining a hall of famers carrer.

I was a fan before Kurt took us to the SB, and will still be a Cards fan after these mistakes run their course.

RED BIRD FEVER!

87. By Russ Smith on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Darren both you and Somers have commented that Kolb didn’t account for Woodley on the safety, and you said they rushed 5, tha’ts not true. Watch the replay and you will see clear as day they only rush 4. 3 guys are blocked, one is unblocked, and we have 5 OL blocking those 3 guys. We even had Hyphen staying in to block initially so there were 6 guys to block 3. It’s just hard for me to believe that’s on Kolb to account for Woodley. Keith should have blocked the outside guy which was Woodley, leaving the inside guy for the RG to pick up. Maybe Kolb needs to change the play I don’t know but there’s no way the design of that play leaves Woodley unblocked, Keith just took the wrong guy.

He was clearly trying to go to Housler who was dragging across the middle but he didn’t have time to get clear so Kolb tried to pump to get Woodley to jump and buy more time, and Woodley didn’t buy the pumpfake. He did the exact same thing on the TD to Hyphen he pumped while moving forward giving Hyphen time to clear the LB and then hit him in stride. This time he didn’t have time because Woodley was unblocked.

88. By Darren Urban on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

In fitz –

RE: Kolb future

I think that’s one of the reasons you can’t jump the gun until this entire season plays out. A lot of football left to play, a lot of evaluation time left.

89. By JR on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I’m the 85th comment, so don’t know if you will see this, Darren, but here goes. I am a season ticket holder. I’ve had to watch the last two games on TV because I’ve had medical issues. You can see things on TV that you can’t see at the game. I really hope Kevin Kolb succeeds, but right now he looks lost out there. You can see it in his face and the way he conducts himself. Any confidence he may have had is totally gone. As a season ticket holder I am very discouraged that we paid $60M for a quarterback that will need a huge amount of development. I’m tired of hearing that he hasn’t had time to learn the offense. We have a QB on the roster who already knows the offense. His name is John Skelton. If we have to choose between developing Kolb or Skelton, I think I choose Skelton. Regarding Mike Wallace, everyone in the stadium and listening to Wolf on the radio, except Richard Marshall, knew Pitt was going to throw that pass to Wallace. Wolf even called it on the radio before the pass was thrown. I don’t know what to say about our secondary and Patrick Peterson. Maybe they need to start playing man to man coverage so the opponent’s receivers aren’t so wide open. I’m not sure what changes need to be made, but if none are made, I don’t see us winning another game this season, except perhaps St. Louis. But, then maybe we could draft Andrew Luck.

90. By Tim in NJ on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Great stuff as always Darren- Thanks!
    With all that said I know this season is starting to get ugly. But honestly the problems I see with the Cardinals are truly with the play calling in all three phases of the game. Again yesterday I saw a lot of things that left me scratching my head is disbelief:

- Beanie Wells gets hurts and they abandon the run pretty much the rest of the game. Why would you pass on 1st down at your own 5yd line? That led to an unblocked Steelers LB and a safety. RB A.Smith/ LSH deserved some carries in the 2nd half. If nothing else to keep the defense honest.

- No screen plays at all. I would love a WR screen play to get Andre Roberts involved early. I would love a middle screen play to LSH. Hes probably the Cardinals best home run threat (as evidenced by yesterdays TD).

- TE Rob Housler is a weapon. Back to back games that deep middle pass is open and Kolb misses him. He is not being featured enough in my opinion.

- No draw plays, too much empty backfields. The offense has become dull and predictable.

- Where are the trick plays (end-rounds, flea flickers, end-a-round & pass, etc.)??? Seven games into a season and can’t recall one.

- Defensively they cant contain the perimeter run, and there is no excuse to get beat over the top for a 95 yd TD pass.

- Special Teams doesn’t try an onsides kick late in the game? They had nothing to lose trying it. By not trying is they guaranteed a loss.

~Tim in NJ

91. By Darren Urban on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Russ –

RE: Woodley rush

The way it was explained to me, the free rusher on the interception was a mistake on the interior of the line and the protection. The free rusher on the safety play was a hot read and Kolb should have gotten rid of the ball.

92. By C on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I think there’s a lot of Monday morning quarterbacks out there, and the comparisons of Kolb to Anderson are simply laughable. I’d focus on the two areas of our team that are sheer fact.

1. We have the worst offensive tackles in the NFL. I have looked over all 32 teams and none of our OT’s would start for any of them.

2. Porter and Haggans are horrific. The 3-4 is predicated on OLB pass rush, and we have none. Neither of them can win a battle straight up with an NFL OT, and even when blitzing they are insignificant at best.

The next 2 years of both draft and FA MUST be focused on building a quality offensive line, and getting pass rushers who compliment a 3-4 (or, as I’ve written before, scrapping the 3-4 for a 4-3 which better suits the talent currently on the roster.

93. By Darren Urban on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Tim in NJ –

RE: Playcalling

I get you to a point.

But … why would you pass on first down at your own 5-yard line? The Steelers decided it was a good idea. Worked pretty well for them.

I know it’s just one example of all your examples, but again, just doesn’t seem that simple to me.

94. By Russ Smith on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Darren, That only makes sense if they blitzed but they didn’t, they rushed 4 guys.

he probably should have tried to get rid of it rather than backup, but what he was trying to do was give Housler time to get off the line and clear, you can see him looking there the whole way(which is an issue he has too).

It just makes no sense to me that the design of a play is have 6 guys block 3 and let the QB account for the guy who leads the Steelers in sacks and already had 2 in the game?

If that’s the play I really question running it that close to your own endzone.

95. By David Robles on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Coach WAZNThunt & his Pop Warner offense need to go back to a Todd Haley offense.

96. By Brandon in CO on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Not sure if you’ve covered this already- there are over a hundred comments to sift through with your Steelers game posts, but can you explain why the Cardinals elected to kick it off instead of go for that onside kick? 4 minutes and two scores…it just seemed like a weird call with the way the Steelers were moving the ball all game long. I always try to get in the heads of the coaching staff when they make decisions like that, and with this one I just couldn’t connect.

97. By Barry on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Someone’s head need’s to be rolling…any regrets on keeping Beanie?…yes I know hightower was injuried but, bet he’lll be up and running in no time!

98. By johnny on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Horton needs to find his who, otherwise cardinals will be looking for new coach and dc next year. no more excuses, look at the niners.

99. By cardinals1964 on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

The Cards are as bad or worse than last year.I bet Anderson is having a great time watching Kolbs highlights knowing he played just as well if not better. Let’s get serious here. It is time for Whiz to go. The coaching on this team is horrendous! Kolb sucks and most people knew it except the Cards. Do you really think Reid would have let him go if he was supposed to be a starting QB? He is a back-up and will always be a back-up. Skelton should be starting, Brown should be benched, and Fitz should be let out of his contract and allowed to go to a real NFL team. What do you think Darren? Should Whiz be fired midseason or wait until we finish 1-15? Curious as to what you think of this horrible team

100. By Darren Urban on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Brandon in CO –

RE: Onside kick

Whisenhunt said there was an onside kick called if the Steelers showed a certain look on the kickoff return team. They didn’t show it though, making a successful onside much less likely. So Feely kicked deep with the idea they could go three-and-out, with timeouts, and go from there.You have to get a quick stop, but it wasn’t a weird choice to me.

101. By jocards on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

This is painful to watch. Even an eternal optimist would have to see that this is a bad football team. They continually make crucial errors whether it’s by penalty or more often just guys not making plays, they add up to a bad football team. Each week I hope for better results but each week the team goes out and proves that they are a bottom feeder. The defense is bad, the offense is bad, and the team is bad. The clock is ticking on the Whisenhunt regime. It will not be long before he is shown the door and I couldn’t argue too voraciously against that but I believe that this is a bad football team and merely placing a new scapegoat in charge is not going to change that fact. The difficult part is that we long time fans have seen this all before many times. The names change, heck even the city changed but the results remain largely the same. 2008-2009 were wonderful aberrations but we’ve been back in Cardinals reality for some time now and it stinks.

102. By Darren Urban on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

cardinals1964 –

RE: Firing Whiz

Not playing well, definitely. Firing a coach midseason? Completely reactionary. It’s not going to help you — at least, that’s what history says — and the way football works, the rest of the staff (and the way the team plays) stays pretty much the same. So do the players. So why exactly do you do it?

103. By Peter in Canada on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I have read all the comments and in my opinion some of them are right on the mark.
    Our defence as Scott H points out is a combination of the too old and the too young. Very few of the 11 are in their prime years. The D-Line is the exception. Many have said that OLB is the key to a 3-4 and ours are well past their best before date.
    Kolb is showing flaws that make me think he will never reach a better than average level. While he is undoubtedly better than DA he has happy feet. He has been getting worse rather than better which is a bad sign.
    Our tackles can run block but have trouble with pass protection.

While the QB situation was at least attempted to be addressed the tackle and OLB problems were not. Management expected the younger players to replace porter/haggans. They should have forseen that if the younger players were not ready they would be left with two old men and old men get worse not better. The same with the tackles. They expected Keith and Brown to improve but again they had no plan B.

104. By Kevin on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

The whole fire Whiz, dump Kolb, etc. is pretty sad. Look, this is a game we would not expect to win. The Cards are playing badly, no doubt, but they were ahead by 8 in the 4th vs. WAS, by 10 in the 4th vs. NYG, and had a very good chance to beat SEA. If the team was 3-3 none of these conversations are occurring, and they are very close to being 3-3 if not 4-2. (And, yes, I know you could argue that they are close to being 0-6 as well.) But there’s no way a team is going to go out and give Kolb the kind of contract the Cards did, and then say after 6 games that we need to put in John Skelton or Richard Bartel. Kolb isn’t playing great, but he’s a higher-rated passer so far this year than Bradford, McCoy, Freeman, etc. and within a point of guys named Flacco and Ryan who aren’t exactly in danger of losing their jobs. And yes, QB rating isn’t everything, but the point is, he isn’t DA or Max Hall. The fact is, whether you believe we can come back this year (I don’t) or you believe this season is lost already because we’re 4 games behind SF, then you may as well ride it out with Kolb to let him learn the offense, work out whatever kinks he has (remember, he has never started a full season of games), and get better. The team made a pretty big financial commitment to him and we may as well see what we’re going to get out of it.

105. By J K on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Darren that firing Whiz mid season is a reactionary move. I think the fan base should let the season play out as it will and then make a decision. I mean, who are we going to replace him with? From what I’ve seen, besides one guy calling for Russ Grimm to coach, most of the people calling for Whiz’s job are calling for the jobs of the entire coaching staff. Better to just scrap the season and see what will come of it for the rest in my opinion. Make those kinds of adjustments in the off season. Definitely let the Cards hear your voice as fans, but mid season moves like that are kind of ridiculous.

I don’t normally bash on the coach since I believe in individual player responsibility, but I will say that the decision to not go with an onside really boggled my mind. You’re basically saying that you have faith in your defense to make the stop when you make that play call. Maybe Coach Whiz figured the Steelers would try to run the ball to drain the clock and up to that point we had done extremely well at stopping the run. That’s the only explanation I can come up with. That being said, if we were all perfect this world would be a better place. Every coach screws up at least once a game. If that truly was Whiz’s decision making process then he simply was out coached by Mike Tomlin. If that’s the case, then yea… his job needs to be looked at. But it’s certainly no reason to fire him mid season. You’re talking about a very successful coach and a very successful team in Tomlin & the Steelers.

I honestly believe Whiz hasn’t had time to put the right pieces in place for his 3-4 defense. I would prefer a 4-3 with our player set, but if this is the way it is then I will be patient for the transition. In these comments you have guys calling out Whiz’s play calling, but then in the same comment saying that Housler was wide open two weeks in a row. Clearly there are plays to be made. So how can you lay ALL the blame on the coach? He’s made some bad moves but he’s also made good moves. D Wash, Housler, Patrick Peterson, Sherman.. they’re all looking like good pick ups. Starting Porter and Haggans every week… maybe not such a good move. Nobody can be perfect all the time.

This team has a lot of problems… don’t get me wrong. I guess it all comes down to perspective when it comes to how you want to address those. I’m not saying Coach shouldn’t be on the hot seat, but I’m not saying I want his head now, either. Personally I’d just rather see the team as a whole step up and make up what they can wherever we lack on an individual level. Let the rest play out as it will.

106. By reap37 on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

I’m so tired of hearing the Whiz and his system. You had Curt Warner to bail you out of every situation. With Curt I could coach the team. That’s true for teams with Brady, Brees, Peyton and Rogers too. It takes a REAL coach to take average players and make them great as a team. Whatever this system is, it is not working. We have NO superstars (excl. Larry). BUT I would rather have a hard playing team with an identity than any superstar. We are not the Steelers and should not try to be. We need our own identity. With Curt, we were a high flying passing machine. I have no idea who this team is. That’s the coaches job to find a strategy and make it work. Please do something or there will be no more fans left. OH, I forgot, there were more Steeler fans than Card fans at the game. Amazing.

107. By Darren Urban on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

reap37 –

RE: Kurt and coaches

Then what happened in 2005 and 2006, when Warner was here and the Cards went nowhere?

108. By reap37 on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Good point. Obviously, I had much higher expectations for this team this year than I should have. My anger is getting the best of me as I want this team (who I like) to succeed, maybe too much.

109. By Scott H on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Darren -

RE: Kurt and coaches

C’mon, Darren…are you telling me you don’t see a just a slight difference between Warner’s level of play during 2005-2006 and what it was from 2008-2009? Maybe no one can explain it but that fact is Kurt Warner just flat out FOUND IT again in the last few years of his career and he was a different player. Maybe it was the glove, I don’t know. But he played on a WHOLE DIFFERENT LEVEL and that is a fact. Any one who was paying attention to the Cardinals at all saw that.

Also, this team as a whole was significantly better during their playoff years than they were in 2005-2006. You had a lot of guys on both sides of the ball who were among the best in the league at their positions and they were in their absolute primes. They really were a better team than most people realized. They were a quantum leap better then the team was during 2005-2006. Could anyone disagree with that???

110. By D-Dub on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

-Darren

First off I would like to say that I feel bad for you having to be put on the spot like you actually have a say in what happens in the organization.

Now my view on all this

-The “REALITY” of Whisenhunt being fired is nigh. He’s Bidwill’s guy. He has accomplished more with this team than any other head coach in the past. I do however believe that he seriously needs to re-assess his coaching strategy both on and off the field. Stop trying to make the Cards another Steelers team….
    - You didn’t go to the Super bowl using an all out 3-4 defense. You don’t have the personnel to do it now anyways and you know it!
    - I’m sorry to say but it’s time to cut ties with Grimm…. He has yet to produce a solid OL the whole time he’s been here. I’m not necessarily saying he’s got great talent to work with but you need to make it work. I like Grimm and he was awesome for Pit and when he played in Wash, but it’s time to make some tuff choices.
    - On that same note…. When are you gonna realize that your bookend tackles are horrible and shouldn’t even be back-ups. When bridges was in on either side, he was much more productive. I know he’s a little hot headed but you kind of need that on the OL. Levi Brown was a total reach when he was drafted and should not still be at LT or on the team for that matter. There were a few Veteran OT’s available in Free Agency but you didn’t go after any.. You brought in more guards.
    -As far as the QB situation is concerned… I was a huge anti-Kolb spokesperson on that trade. I still think it was a bad trade on our part, but I see what they were looking at in Kolb. He shows flashes of greatness, and I believe that given a full off-season and a better set of tackles he could be really good. I do however believe that not trading for a QB would have been better, seeing that Skelton already knew the offense and was looking pretty good. We cannot however put all the blame on the QB.
    - Beanie Wells has definitely stepped up his game but he needs a solid backup to lower his risk of injuries, especially with the way he runs. He’s a beast and teams know it. Ryan Williams could fall into that category next season if he can stay healthy and can get back on track after the ACL. Those injuries suck…. I know from experience. But for now, one of the other backs need to step up and seriously contribute.
    - What happened to the Kolb to King combo we had the first couple games? I know that Fitz is the primary target but so does everyone else. King and Heap were a breath of fresh air and added another great element to the passing game. I know Heap has been injured and in his place Housler tries but has had serious butter fingers. Yet King is still there and not as many targets as of late. The rest of the recieving core outside of Fitz need to work alot harder to bring in those catchable balls regardless of placement. If you can get both hands on it , you should catch it.
    - Defensively…… What can I say? Horrible! All that talent and you give up toooooooo much. If it’s not the run it’s the pass. You need to get your asses in gear if you want to compete at this level. DEFENSE WINS GAMES!!!!! We might have 2 very young CB’s starting but the biggest play was given up by a veteran. If we had held on to DRC we probably wouldn’t have this huge coverage issue, but “shoulda, coulda, woulda” doesn’t make it better. Where is the safety help over the top? I know that Horton’s defense is built on the premise of having a huge pass rush and creating havok on QB’s…. But we are not getting the pass rush and it’s time to change your strategy to fit the personnel you have, at least for the rest of the season. This way this offseason you can address your serious areas/positions of need. Plain and simple, if you can’t figure out how to make things work, then you probably shouldn’t be coaching at this level…. Or playing at this level for that matter.

Well that’s it for me. I still believe in this organization and that’s not going change now, seeing this isn’t their first losing season. Sorry Darren and everyone else for ranting like this. I doubt the Cardinals players or staff will read this blog, or even care for that matter but I said what I had to and I feel better now.

111. By cardsalltheway on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

“Completely reactionary. It’s not going to help you — at least, that’s what history says — and the way football works, the rest of the staff (and the way the team plays) stays pretty much the same.”

As I said Ken W. reminds me of Wade Phillips and when the Cowboys fired Wade last year, guess what? That’s correct, the Cowboys WON the next game and have done better since then. I could do better than Ken W. right now!

112. By Darren Urban on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Scott H -

RE: Warner difference 05/06 and 08/09

Oh but I did see a difference in Kurt. And yes, I have an idea what helped, and it wasn’t the glove.

Thank you for making my point.

113. By Darren Urban on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway -

RE: better as coach

No you couldn’t.

114. By IIBASEDGOD on Oct 24, 2011 | Reply

Is it me or did it seem like Dockett wasn’t even playing?

115. By seansolo on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

Start acho and schoffield . There are no answers left in FA to help th oline so either way we are not lookin good . Here is hoping Kolb can stay healthy for next year but i doubt it . Grimm hasn’t done squat so quit being in love with the name and realize he is a garbage coach . START ACHO AND SCHOFFIELD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and great job picking Levi Brown instead of Adrain Peterson ya good one Whiz . We suck and right now T.O. should seriously be considered unless we are trying to get LUCK

116. By jocards on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

@ georgiebird

You know as well as I do that the Bidwills will not wake up….it isn’t even a case of them waking up or not. They do not place winning on the field high on their list of priorities and it shows. That being the case it isn’t difficult to understand why this franchise is a perpetual loser.

117. By Eric on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

What I see take the field is a group of poorly coached players, on both sides of the ball. We have a group of talented players that will never reach their potential because they don’t have the coaches to do it. Again, the forty Niners had the courage to clean house, and I mean everyone, and look how well they are doing, and I’m sure will do in the future. Graves and Whiz need to go, I’ve said it before, and I stick by it, when thinkgs are bad and not getting better, look no further than the top. I believe we’ve waited patiently for a season and a half, but the team is actually WORSE! The Bidwells need to have a long phone call with Jeff Fisher and convince him to be the general manager of this team, or SOMEONE other than the guy that JUST DOESN’T GET IT!!!!!!!!!

118. By clssylssy on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

Travis:
    You sound suspiciously like a closent 9er fan…wondering if you and everyone else saw the Ravens emplode last night and lose to the Jags who have never won a game…guess every team is suffering to some degree from LOCKOUT HANGOVER. I don’t think I ever remember the Cards not getting a single first down until the third quarter but I’m sure you will correct me if I’m wrong. The Raven are a strong and consistent team and Harbaugh an excellent coach who was chewed up on ESPN sports this morning by a crew of has beens and chick commentators?…Just saying, even the best teams have bad days and I don’t look for the Ravens to look next week like they did last night. Our man Q made the only TD for the Ravens…like Larry said, this team could sure use him now!

119. By cards62 on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

Clssylssy – I agree with you 100% the Ravens will look a whole lot better on offense next week, but only because they are playing us, the Cardinals. Why can’t our defense make an offensive team look bad? Seattle looked bad against us, but they only scored 3 points against the Browns.

Guys our players see what we see even clearer than we do. I do not think they believe in this defense any more than we do with the personnel we have. These same players watch the trade deadline go by and the Cardinals do absolutely nothing. (Rod Graves picks the strangest times to go on vacations)
    The players do not believe in our OT any more than we do.
    They say to reporters what they are expected to say to keep their high paying jobs just like you and I say so that we do not rock the boat. Like us they would rock the boat if they believed change would occur, but when you know change will not occur you just stick to the company line, do your best, watch the company flounder and pick up your check on Friday. Its really not rocket science just life lessons 101.

Six games in with ten to play and just like last season this year is already over.
    Just play the young guys and let them have reps, Move Levi to guard and start Bridges at tackle. I am not ready to give up on Kolb, but I would play Skelton
    Maybe alternate by game and give them 2 weeks to learn our opposition defense.
    Should make for a great competition next training camp.

How many more days to the draft and training camp my fellow fans?
    We also get Toler and Williams back next season.

Go Cards beat the Ravens

120. By cardfancolorado on Oct 25, 2011 | Reply

WOW!!!! How is anyone on Matt Leinart side he was way overrated and the fact that his ego got the best of him, even after warner trying to help him out. The guy never listened to what anyone said because he always thought in his mind that he was one play away from getting back his 1st string job back. Where is he now sitting in Texas picking his nose, even last year he was third string. I know we do not look good but man we had two good seasons in a row we lost our qb and few other players whether retirement or stupid judgment, I do remember those years sitting out at sundev stadium thinking someday things will get better. Just breathe little bit and remember THE BIDWELLS STILL OWN THIS TEAM

121. By clssylssy on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

I’m glad I’m not the only one left wondering why the Cardinals weren’t doing anything in the way of drafting players before the deadline closed, There are players available so I just don’t get it…I know there is the chemistry thing but professionals should be able to work through “personal issues” and do the job they are so very well paid to do. I think we have some great talent that was unable to be developed and the person in charge of personnel should have the foresight to plan for key players being injured…we should be able to pull from the practice squad and not look like the walking wounded. I also think that fans might be more tolerant of a learning curve if players weren’t paid millions while the people making their jobs possible (the fans) have lost jobs, homes, and have to sacrifice to go to a game and support their team. The NFL and the Owners could lower ticket prices in the wake of the current economy but have chosen to let their greed show ittself. GO CARDS! WE’LL GET THROUGH THIS TOGETHER! At this point, I would like to know if we are recruiting anybody and why not T.O? I’m not a T.O. fan but desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures!

122. By Eazy E on Oct 30, 2011 | Reply

Another loss and they are piling up now. 5-game losing streak for the cardinals. Kolb was 18-34, 272 yards, 2 tds, and a awful int with a missed block causing the turnover. Kolb looks so uncomfortable in the pocket and he’s missing targets left and right, so much for his ”great accuracy” huh?!?! Beanie unfortunately got injured and that didn’t help. He had 12 carries for 42 yards. Larry had 4 catches for 78 yards, so he’s making big plays pretty consistently(no shock), but has NO help from his QB and his other WRs except for Early. Andre is giving us absolutely nothing and we need to bench his behind for T.O. again I said T.O. Sign Terrell Owens for goodness sakes and drop your ego Cards. Larod had a very explosive 73 yard catch and took it to the house. Early also scored a TD too, but the game was already basically over. It is like Rob Housler is a DE,DT,LB, or a DB the way Kolb tries to not connect with him. Beautiful corner post route beating Polamalu and he wayy overthrows him, SAD!!! Levi allowed a sack where either he didn’t recognize him or Kolb didn’t point him out, either way, its a bad play on both, but I blame Levi because you can’t leave Woodley alone. Brandon Keith also allowed a sack letting Woodley go and that might have been by design and if that’s the case Kolb gotta get rid of it fast, but either way Kolb and the O-Line are to blame and it was just embarrassing, and they sacked Kolb for a safety. Front 7 played well against the run slowing down Mendenhall for a paltry 13 carries for 32 yards, but Big Ben torched us all day long. We need to shake it up, Porter got 1 sack total and Clark just got his first sack. Acho has as many sacks(1) as both with wayy less snaps, put him in wayy more and why not start him and schofield and Porter and Haggans can be situational guys. They are also hurting our DEs with their non-pass rushing ability because teams are doubling Dockett and Campbell and saying we can put 1 OT on your starting OLBs and they won’t get any pressure and they’ve been correct 6 straight weeks and its only going to get worse unless we shake this baby up. Daryl and Lenon are good. Daryl makes plays along with Lenon for our LBs. Our CBs are just too young and I’m not talking about Patrick because he’s played well every week and improved every week, but Jefferson maybe a little too raw and we have Marshall who is a good player but did get beat on that 95 yarder. We’re missing Kerry’s playmaking ability back there also and he along with A-Wil lines guys up. We got Baltimore tomorrow and they are MADDDDD, so we better be ready or chalk up another blowout defeat for the cardinals. So again, sign T.O. quickly, Start Bridges at RT, Start Acho and Schofield, Start Marshall over Jefferson, and be ready against Baltimore because their taking their anger out on us, so fight back and get a win!

2. Oct 26, 2011: Week 8 Story Lines- Cardinals, Redskins, and Lions | GB Packers and AZ Cardinals- the blog