• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Peterson’s improvement

Posted by Darren Urban on October 26, 2011 – 11:33 am

A lot was expected of rookie cornerback Patrick Peterson this season. Frankly, had Greg Toler not gotten hurt, Peterson would not have played as much as he did early (and for all those screaming for him to start right away, the growing pains through which he has played is exactly why the Cardinals’ coaches are hesitant in throwing rookies out there).

Did he turn a corner — pun intended — against the Steelers? His job was to cover speedy Mike Wallace and he did pretty well. The big play by Wallace, the 95-yard bomb, it was Richard Marshall and not Peterson on Wallace (and, after watching the replay, it looks like Marshall got caught cheating up and thinking about jumping an underneath route — the intended play to the Steelers fullback Ben Roethlisberger talked about afterward — which was too deadly of a start for Marshall to keep up with Wallace).

The rest of the day, Wallace didn’t make much of an impact.

“Patrick was very effective in the scheme,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “He’s rough around the edges and he still has a lot of things to learn, but he’ll get better.”

Few teams have a pure deep guy like Wallace. Peterson obviously will have to work into other parts of his game, and he still needs to show more flashes of physical play that the Cards count on in this defense.  But it’s the right direction. There is a long way to go with both he and A.J. Jefferson — Jefferson played pretty well in Minnesota, but he struggled against the Steelers — although both are going to get plenty of work the rest of this season to learn. (A better pass rush wouldn’t hurt either.) Bottom line, Peterson was the No. 5 overall pick — the Cards need him to turn into a star.

Tags: , ,

38 Responses to “Peterson’s improvement”

1. By C on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

I think Peterson has done relatively well all things considered. I hate to beat the proverbial dead horse, but no corner (rookie or otherwise) can be truly effective with a front 7 that generates no pass rush from the outside (see continual beating of dead horse Joey Porter, and further beating of a 3-4 scheme that doesn’t fit the personnel).

2. By DW#1 FAN on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Peterson does look great, as well as AJ Jefferson and even Marshall shows signs of a solid football player. However, I think our defense really misses having that big play threat in DRC. I know I miss him, even if he did slack off here and there and struggled at making tackles on plays that pushed his sideline. Bottom Line is that we need a better pass rush. I would like to see Porter and Haggans filtered out of our team and some young guys brought in to make an impact. Whatever happened to our Canadian Football League star Stevie Baggs? give him a chance to show some game reps. On another note, we either need to bring in TO or let Stephen Williams line up opposite Larry, we need someone else to take the top off the defense so Larry can get some breathing room. How stubborn are our coaches in keeping all small recievers but Larry. I’d love to see a 4-3 scheme put in on some plays. It is what our personal fits best, I know we are transitioning and a 3-4 does work for us. but come on coaches! make plays to fit your players and stop being such Aholes about “always being right”.

3. By Ijustwanttoseemyselftype on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

I thought he did very well… he never got torched like in a few plays in the first few games, he never lost coverage… Frankly I don’t remember Wallace making too many catches after the long bomb… A.J. has shown great flashes in the games except the Steelers game… must have been the scheme… but I think the coverage can become something special… the Front 7 need to get a little better though… Washington is a bright spot… Dockett seems uncomfortable at tackle and Calias Campbell… just wow… he’s really beasting it out this season… Beanie… he was doing pretty well but he has been injured and recovered like he has the Madden curse… I don’t see anyone running like Beanie at backup though and Stephens-Howling is great but he just doesn’t have the size to intimidate… or film of a helmet popping off of a safety coming in hot. I wonder what is going to happen at the OT positions… they have been getting killed by outside rushers both DE’s and OLB’s but Kolb needs time to throw and feel comfortable will lead to a better run game… which there is no problems in the blocking… Anyone else miss Ryan Williams? T.O baby… I know they won’t but a threat that teams respect if only out of curiosity will open up Fitz and we know the staff can handle T.O.Larry the aura around Larry Fitz inspires professionalism and T.O. seems to have trended into less of a diva than portrayed

4. By georgiebird on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Make no mistake about it- Patrick Peterson was the best talent in the draft. It’s just difficult being a cornerback when the front seven is the worst in the league in large part due to the 3-4 scheme. In the near future, I hope the team hires the right coaching staff so a guy like Peterson won’t get out of here like other top choices e.g. Thomas Jones, Garrison Hearst.

5. By PCGZONAFAN on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Every comment i read here speaks what i was going to preach. First off the front needs to get it done. Plain and simple. Peterson is doing better lot more than i thought and jefferson. I miss DRC so much and he got traded a year after i got his jersey lol. But my main concerns are this, wideouts and o-line. Whiz i know you dont read this but if you do see these comments some how understand. You need to talk to that o-line( not saying you havnt) but do it. Second i know we all sound kinda silly cause he is 37 so to be 38 but teams see him on a team and theyll say, the heck is he doing here? Well they saw something in him we deff need to cover this great receiver like he is fitz. Hence reducing fitz pressure and so coverage on him, thous producing his production.

6. By BIG RED 66 on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Do you think there will ever be a chance that Whiz might go back to the hybird 3-4/4-3 defense. It seems that there is talent being wasted (Dockett) and not enough talent (Haggans & Porter) to play the 3-4. Dockett, Williams, Carter and Campbell would be a great front 4 and Dockett and Campbell could generate a pass rush with Williams and Carter eating up blockers. Then we could have Washington at MLB, Bradley may be more effective in a 4-3 as well. Porter and Haggans could sit down and watch Acho and Schofield develop. Maybe then we could stop putting Wilson in the box only to get beat on the long pass. There is no point of keeping Wilson if this is what we get. No difference from last season when he was suppose to be hurt. Probably will never happen as Whiz can’t admit his mistakes. Dockett is being paid and has the talent of a superstar and we are using him to take up blockers only to have the 2 worst washed up LB in the NFL not make plays(of course that is Porter and Haggans). It is obvious the 3-4 is not working as we have to constantly bring Wilson up which then sets out young CB’s up for failure. Hopefully the management is also evaluating the coaching staff for next year as this season is gone. I honestly only see the 2 Rams games, Browns and the seahawks game as possible wins and most likely will only win 2 of the 4 for a 3-13 record. Levi better pull his head out of his a$$ of Kolb is going to get killed this week against a very angry Ravens defense. Get ready Skelton you may be put in this week. Trying not to be so negative but there is reality.

7. By MIKE G on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Peterson will be a fine player for the Card’s –it will just take some time. He has been thrown to the wolves and has played pretty well. That 95 yard play is the type of coverage –I cant stand in today’s NFL. The corner releases the coverage to the safety or nickel in this case Marrshall. He could not get over in time. I’m a man to man guy and always will be. Ravens looked bad on offense Monday Night–I hope they continue to struggle against the Card’s this Sunday. I hope we can give a good effort–Ravens will be angry after their loss–We must not turn the ball over. Hey Darren–Do you see Alfonso Smith getting significant carries this week???

8. By Gilbert on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

He will. And hoping the cards turn the corner against the sloppy ravens. I’m foreseeing a win Go Cards.

9. By Barry on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Peterson is doing well for a guy putting his effort all out each game…I can’t say the same for the rest of the D or the O-line at that..we wouldn’t need the D out as much if we could get past a 3rd down…hmmm seems very simialar to last season….”the Dreaded 3rd down” ohhh my! Peterson keep up the D maybe some of the other guys will take clue.

10. By Gilbert on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Also I think. Everyone needs to let go of the notion of bringing some other receiver. It’s clear no moves will be made in that area. Bout T O also let it go he’s history now. A dinosaur a problematic player. Not a team player. No one show up for his work out. Not even visitors. He cannot offer anything to this team than what it already has. Hey Darren I suggest u ignore all those TO questions.makes no sense.

11. By joecb91 on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

He had a couple of penalties, but honestly the refs were calling you for PI if you breathed on the WR for both teams. I think PP has been getting better every week, and once he has more experience and the pass rush is able to get more consistent pressure he will be a star.

12. By Victor Sanchez on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

A little off topic, but are we taking advantage of Andre Roberts speed? I tend to focus on Fitzgerald at games, but are we sending Roberts deep like Wallace did on the 95 yarder?

On LSH TD catch, Roberts actually outsprinted Ryan Clark to LSH to provide a block. Boy that was some FAST running. I would like to see us just send him deep and see what he can do.

I haven’t seen it yet, have you Darren?
    Thanks

13. By Rich on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

You are hearing it here first ! Cards will beat the Ravens on Sunday !
    There was a lot of good play and coaching by the Cards against the Steelers. A few isolated mistakes…..but I sensed some real progress. This will be the first of 4 straight wins!

14. By Thedude on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Get us some picks Peterson WooHoo

15. By Cliftoid on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

I really don’t get how fans can be upset. The Cardinals acquired Kevin Kolb and could only get him a few weeks of work. The struggles were to be expected after that lockout. This team will be much better after a full offseason – not to mention we’ll get Greg Toler and Ryan Williams back. We can’t expect perfection or anything close to it after such a tumultuous and rushed period of work and practice. The Cardinals will be a significantly better team in 2012.

16. By D on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Changes
    probablly will also see the Hyphen getting more touches, like a Larry Centers role, but he has the speed and wiggle in the open field that he needs more touches..hopefully our TE will be seen this weekend when running down the seam…
    Acho should have had 2 sacks, be he will be fun to watch develop

17. By Scott H on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Not to take anything away from Peterson but I would like to point out that Mike Wallace has done exactly what he did against the Cardinals in several other games this year – he makes that one big strike for a long TD and then is relatively quiet otherwise. So…I don’t really know that Peterson did anything particularly special on Sunday.

18. By Charlie on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Hello Darren,

Regarding your article on “Making Changes”. It seems like Whiz seems to think the problem lies on players not making plays, or at least that’s what I took from the article itself. But was there (or has there been) any mention of the coaches not actually calling the right plays for the players they have. In other words, shouldn’t they also look at the schemes that are in place to make sure they are drawing on the strengths of the players that be, rather than just changing up the lineup in hopes of finding players that play best within the scheme they like? It seems like every year we have a new coordinator with a new scheme and the excuse is always, “it’s a new scheme, and it will take time to implement and for the players to learn…etc.” But they still have the same pool of players used to the last scheme who were originally drafted because they had the talent to fit in the scheme of the coach from 3 years ago. We need to design a defense and an offense around the players we have rather than changing the playbook every year…in my humble opinion.

Of course, the coaching is not immune to scrutiny at 1-5 as well. And don’t get me wrong, I fully support Whiz, but I’m just curious if there has been any discussion about “making changes” with regard to coaching philosophy.

Thanks!

19. By Blake on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Outside of the 95 yard bomb, holding one of the games best receivers to 23 yards isn’t bad at all for PP2. Not a big fan of bringing in T.O. for all the publicity (much of which would be slanted) and I think that since this season isn’t looking promising it’d better to focus on the young guys developing and THEN seeing if we need to get a #2 WR if that doesn’t work out. Speaking of which,

What’s going on with the development of Rob Housler? He and Kolb have had flashes but rarely show to be on the same page. Also, is he making any progress as a blocker?

20. By DW#1 FAN on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

T.O. BABY!!!! PLEASE!!!

21. By BIG RED on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Peterson is doing a decent job. I think he’ll only get better. They should use him on offense, like they did with Antrel Rolle.

22. By CreditCard on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Tolar getting hurt was huge. Having Tolar the Cards would have another DB to match up better with certain receivers, and his presence would allow Jefferson and Peterson to be able to sub in/out and learn from situations. The injury bug has hurt the Cards this year.

23. By TucsonTim on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Finally got to watch some of the game. Doesn’t look like big ben wanted to throw Peterson’s way. Kid’s going to be a super star.

24. By John the Draft Guy on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

It will be interesting to see how he fairs against Desean Jackson. Jackson isn’t playing his best ball, but he can fly.
    He also will draw deep threat, Brandon Lloyd.

The biggest one will be who he line up against with Dallas. Austin and Bryant are big and fast.

AJ Green will be a fun one also, since both won’t be much of a rookie by then.

25. By Darren Urban on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Big Red 66 -

RE: hybrid

I don’t see them making a change 6 games into the season. Could they try some different stuff with, say, Dockett? Perhaps.

26. By Darren Urban on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Mike G -

RE: Alfonso

I do if Beanie doesn’t play.

27. By Darren Urban on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Victor -

RE: Roberts deep

To be honest, I thought they might try that more often.

28. By Darren Urban on Oct 26, 2011 | Reply

Blake -

RE: Housler

He is flashing as a blocker so that helps. There is something to be said about him needing to get on the same page as Kolb.

29. By BIG RED 66 on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

I realize they won’t switch in season but do you think that would help the defense. Seems like we are not using talent correctly. Cards have a lot of talent but it doesn’t seem to be utilized correctly. It seems that the defense was way better in the 4-3. I am just wondering if it may be a possibilty for next year. Also do you think Horton will keep his job if the defense doesn’t improve. I think the best thing the Cards could do is stop trying to be Pittsburgh west and be the Carndinals. Play to our rosters strengths and don’t try to fit them to a system. You may not be able to answer that without repercussions from upstairs.

30. By Darren Urban on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

Big Red –

RE: Defense

I have a hard time believing Horton would be fired after one season, especially after he didn’t get an offseason to install his system. If he is here, I would think they will stick with the 3-4. That said, I can see — given the linebackers available and the defensive linemen available — why a 4-3 would seem to play better to the roster strengths, to a point. You don’t really have a 4-3 defensive end other than Calais these days, so who goes out there?

31. By BIG RED 66 on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

RE: Defense

Didn’t Dockett play the end in 2008 and Branch was the back up, not sure about that. I don’t think Horton will or should be fired (now that I have calmed down from the last few beatings they took) but would a mix of 3-4/4-3 confuse a lot of teams since nobody really does that. I just think that if Campbell and Dockett were on the ends and the 2 big boys Williams and Carter in the middle would create a good rush and would stop the run as well. Then the LS could be rotated so Porter and Haggans are not exposed as much.

32. By TucsonTim on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

Darren, wasn’t OBS a DE in college?

33. By Darren Urban on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

TucsonTim –

RE: Schofield

Yes. So was Acho for that matter. I would think they’d be undersized in a 4-3 though.

34. By nodavis2000 on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

Big Red and Darren,

I admit that I think that scheme would work out too. In a 4-3 system, Wiliams and Carter in the middle, with Campbell and dockett on the outside. I’ve been thinking that the past couple of weeks… I do think our personnel fit a 4-3 better than the 3-4. Heck, i liked the hybrid we did… But we can’t do that now because a mid-season switch with no offseason would, without a doubt in my mind, tank us completely.

Do you have any idea Darren how much more Acho and Schofield will be mixed into the gaming scheme??? I don’t know about the coaches, players, and the fans, but Haggans and Porter only have 1 sack apiece. Then, putting Acho in for more playing time, and BAM, he gets a sack on Big Ben, a very alusive QB. That kinda points to me that the young guns need more time on the field.

35. By nodavis2000 on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

Also, I’ve been satisfied with Haggans play. He’s been consistent. Hasn’t got a good pressure rush, but has batted down several throws. If one of the two OLBs are replaced with more time, I think Porter should be. He is on the IL more and doesn’t seem as productive as Haggans.

36. By Darren Urban on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

nodavis2000 –

RE: LB changes

I think they will play significantly more. Whether that means starting or even the majority of the time, I don’t know.

37. By PCGZONAFAN on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

When re-reading my post i clearly wasn’t clear, but moving on, my main point in the post was do you think the team may get T.O just to distract defenses and give fitz a lot more help in the field. Plus if he lives up to what he says he will be hes going to be a great addition

38. By Darren Urban on Oct 27, 2011 | Reply

PCGZ –

RE: T.O.

OK. One more time. The Cards have zero interest in T.O. I’m not sure any team has interest in him.