Fitz’s yards per catch climbs

Posted by Darren Urban on October 28, 2011 – 8:04 am

There is little doubt the Cardinals have been trying all season to get the ball to Pro Bowl wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald and they would still like to get it to him more often. But for all the talk of having a second receiver to stretch the field for the Cards, the quest to get Fitzgerald down the field has worked so far this season.

Fitzgerald has 505 yards receiving on 31 catches, a 16.3 per catch average. Fitzgerald’s career average coming into the year was 13.4, and his career-high came in 2008 when he averaged 14.9 yards a reception (his career-best 1,431 on 96 receptions). The last two seasons, it was 11.3 in 2009 and 12.6 in 2010.

“We’ve been behind in a couple of games and we’ve got to take some shots and I’ve been lucky a couple of times,” Fitzgerald said. “But I’d rather have my yards per catch be 10.0 than us be 1-5, to be honest. It’s frustrating not being able to go out there and have the success we’ve had in the past.”

That’s the most important corollary, of course. His best season scoring touchdowns — 13 — came during his worst season averaging yards per catch in ’09. But as the Cards’ offense struggles, having Fitz with more “explosive” downfield plays not only helps, it’s necessary if the Cards have hope to climb out of their funk.

Tags:

15 Responses to “Fitz’s yards per catch climbs”

1. By DW#1 FAN on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

Here is how we win some games and get Fitz the ball more. Play Stephen Frikkin Williams!!! the guy is a beat. He would take the top off of the oppoisng defense and force safety help on his side. I wish our coaches could see that. I don’t care if he is young and makes some mistakes, the best way to learn is to play!!!!

2. By John Rennecamp on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

I think the Cards need a bonifide #2 reciever for Larry and Kolb. Roberts and Doucet just aren’t 2′s. The biggest problem we have is at the Tackle positions. The interior O-line has played well – the rush comes from the ends.
    Defensively, we need help at LB – Porter can’t get any pressure and Haggans and Lenon have their moments but their age is a liability. Acho,Bradley,Washington and Schofield should be the starters by seasons end. Whats your opinion??

3. By D ryans on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

I am going to say what 90 Dockett wishes he could. The NFL officials are horrible, the games look rigged. Dockett is being held on almost every play and they call penalties at the right time to kill drives and make it impossible for the cards. it seems to me that the NFL has an agenda on which team or city they will pull for each year. think im crazy go back and watch the Steelers games including the SB. i can not belive how many season ticket cardinal fans, usually in red, wore their steelers crap. disgusting, you should be ashamed of yourselves. if nasty pittsburg is so great go live there.

4. By Darren Urban on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

John Rennecamp –

RE: Needs

I think I have said a few times the team needs improvement in pass protection at the tackles and at pass rush.

5. By Travis on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

I think that the efforts on Larrys part are greatly responsible for his results! These circus catches that have become the norm, certainly should not be a part of ANY great receivers repetore. If he wasn’t the bad ass that he is, we would have no results in the passing game! If he could get the ball in a more playable position, who knows what his numbers would look like!!!

I can’t wait to see the Anquan/Fitz matchup this week! You know Larry will be up for the challenge!

6. By georgiebird on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

Let’s not try to make Larry something’s he’s not. Aside from running away from the slow Polamalu in the SB, Larry is not a Yds per catch guy. Larry’s smarts, size and work ethic should get the Cards a 7-15 yd 3rd down conversion more times than not. Larry can’t run away from fast cornerbacks although he can outleap them.
    So leave yds per catch to the Roy Green’s of the NFL who can create space against the fastest of cbs and double coverage. If Larry’s yards per catch are around 10 then I feel the Cards are picking up important 1st downs. Higher yards per catch is a function of taking shots downfield in desperate situations-making some and missing most.

7. By Austin on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

Do you EVER get tired of having to answer the same exact questions a thousand different times? Just wondering. GO CARDS!! A few loyal fans out here still believe in you.

8. By Peter in Canada on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

John Rennecamp – I would also add that our safeties are also getting past their best before date.

9. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

Interestingly, Boldin and Steve Breaston are also having a career bests in YPC.

Speaking of which Darren, any planned write up about Anquan? Top 3 Arizona Cardinal for me and I know he can be reticent and not exactly a quote machine, but I think he definitely earned respect as a player.

10. By Darren Urban on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

Austin –

RE: Questions

Um, yes.

11. By Darren Urban on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Anquan

Other than this? http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Fitz-And-Q-One-More-Time/7f6177df-477e-41aa-9bf6-671589fade41

12. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

@ Darren,
    Yeah, I was looking for something different. That blog was soooo 2 days ago!
    And I even read it way back then!

What did you think of him as a player?

13. By Darren Urban on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Anquan

I loved him as a player. I wish he would’ve been a Card for life. I think, once he went off on the first day of camp in 2008, the relationship was doomed. Anquan is a proud man. He was never going to get past feeling how he did.

Here’s the blog post I did when he was traded: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2010/03/07/a-final-q-rating/

14. By Scott H on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

Still have big time love and regard for Boldin. I truly believe that the turn-around that culminated in the playoff run during 2008-2009 ultimately began the day Boldin was drafted. Would obviously have loved to see him win a SB with the Cardinals…but since that never happened, I will route for him to win one with the Ravens ( especially since the Cardinals ain’t getting anywhere near a SB any time in the forseeable future ). His leadership and toughness have been a tremendous loss for this team.

15. By cardfancolorado on Oct 30, 2011 | Reply