Friday before the Ravens

Posted by Darren Urban on October 28, 2011 – 4:07 pm

The question was about quarterback Kevin Kolb taking “heat” – or too much of it – given the way the first six games had gone. Coach Ken Whisenhunt shook his head, although his answer wasn’t just about Kolb.

“I don’t think anybody can take too much heat when your record is where it is,” Whisenhunt said. “We have to be very clear about it. Our expectations are not to be where we are as a team. We are disappointed. It hurts. We hurt all the time, because we want to be good. We want our fans to be proud of our team. We haven’t done that.

“Criticism is justified. That’s this game. If fans weren’t out there caring then we’d be concerned. All I’ll tell you is that we are working hard and we that we believe we are going to get it fixed.”

Getting it fixed this weekend in Baltimore is a major task. The time change shouldn’t be an issue – I write this at 30,000 feet on the flight east on Friday – although playing better is. I remember the last time the Cards played in Baltimore/played the Ravens. That was the 2007 visit, in which Kurt Warner had his initial “Wow, maybe he’ll have a rebirth” thoughts has he shredded the Ravens splitting time with Matt Leinart (Anquan Boldin, coincidentally, had 14 catches for 181 yards that day too).

– Given that Whisenhunt acknowledged Monday that the fear was that running back Beanie Wells was done for the season when he first hurt his knee last weekend against the Steelers, it’s amazing to me he was able to practice as much as he did this week. I thought there would be three DNPs, and instead, Beanie got in a pair of improving “limited” showings. Will he play Sunday? I think he is about as truly “questionable” as a player can get – which is 50/50.

– Speaking of questionables, I can’t see how tight end Todd Heap doesn’t make it back on the field. He downplayed going back to Baltimore, but at the same time, admitted it’s hard to not carry the knowledge of playing his former team. (Plus, Heap made a big deal this weekend by taking out a full-page ad in the Baltimore Sun newspaper.)

His former Ravens mates are looking forward to seeing him too. “The love is always going to be there off the field,” Baltimore linebacker Ray Lewis said. “Of course, once you put on a different colored jersey, here we go again. If the ball comes his way, and it just happens I’m there, I might tap him on his shoulder a little bit.”

– Speaking of carrying the knowledge of playing his former team, I don’t believe for a second Anquan Boldin is treating this like any other game.

– And speaking of Heap, he was at the center of that 2007 game. The Ravens won that game by kicking a field goal right at the end of the game after Heap made an impressive catch – and somehow held on when Adrian Wilson absolutely blew him up on a hit (pictured below). Wilson was flagged (I still don’t think it should have been a personal foul given the rules at the time, although these days, it might be) and the Ravens got 15 free yards toward their field goal.

– It was the story of Ravens tackle Michael Oher that was immortalized in the movie “The Blind Side.” The Cardinals have their own tie – practice squad cornerback Marshay Green is close friends with Oher, having played together in college at Ole Miss.

“He was one of the first people I met and ever since then we’ve been tight,” Green said. Green spent a ton of time with the family, including Oher’s adoptive parents Leigh Anne and Sean Tuohy. Then, the movie came out.

“It was crazy,” Green said. “I had spent my whole college career with the guy, we joked around, all kind of stuff, playing video games — I never thought it’d be a movie.”

– Given the Ravens’ status as the No. 1 defense and their own offensive troubles, this is a huge game for the Cards’ own defense. Darnell Dockett declined to speak this week – he is from the Baltimore area and it’s safe to say this game means a ton to him – but he did tweet at one point, in part, “I gave 6 games to give the other cats some now its time to give 90 a run.” Not sure if that means Dockett is getting more free reign or what, but he will be one to watch Sunday.

On to Baltimore.

Tags: , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Friday before the Ravens”

1. By Phoenixraven1 on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

Come on guys upset!!!

2. By pipapiko on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

Cardz lose this week 10-38. Boldin has a career game and embarrasses Wisenhunt’s D!

3. By clssylssy on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

Wow! So exciting to play the Ravens with all their great players and to see Fitz and Q on the field again even though they will be wearing different colors. Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Anquan Boldin, Ray Rice, what a bunch of players! I know this will be a great professional experience for the players win or lose. I believe the Cards play up to their opponet and look forward to seeing a great game on Sunday. FLY HIGH CARDS!

4. By nkd on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

Love Dockett

5. By ross on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

2 things—classy move by Heap and best picture ever.

6. By Christo on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

Meh. Hype it all you want, we’ll lose by 3 TD’s. This team is terrible. Whiz can’t tap into the talent he claims we have. We start the worst LT in the league, and have for years. This gives our QB no chance. So we can use our All World WR. Lest we forget our absolutely pathetic defense, that couldn’t stop anybody if they needed to.

Bleh, this seasons junk. Gas Whiz, start talking to Gruden. Let the players know they are playing for their jobs next year.

7. By Scharf on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

@pipapiko, I hope your eating those words later.

8. By NJAZCardsFan on Oct 28, 2011 | Reply

Ravens 52 Cards 3

Yes, I am being generous with the 3 points…….

Maybe Skelton will get some playing time, but by then we all will have turned the game off at the half…..

9. By TucsonTim on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

“To build a winning a team and a successful organization you must create a culture of greatness.” – http://www.jongordon.com. If Jon isn’t working with the Falcons any longer, I’d suggest Whiz give him a call. Seriously.

10. By Nick Pepe on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

Ok, this one is as elementary as it gets. Can not afford the grade school mistakes. No free opportunities because of T/O’s. No first downs or decent returns brought back because of stupid penalties. And we must get pressure on Flacco and be sure to cover Rice out of the backfield.

Easy for me to say.

Darren, Who do I blame for this snow in Newark, DE today?

11. By suspence716 on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

In the real world ravens eat cardinals and the same it is in the NFL this sunday. Cardinals are a joke and don’t stand a chance. Ravens have got them beat in all categories, offense, defense, special teams and HEART! Maybe Suggs tears off Kolbs head this sunday and we get to see a whole lot of Skelton the rest of the year!

12. By Darren Urban on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

Nick –

RE: snow blame

I grew up in Arizona. I do not know of this snow about which you speak.

13. By drummer-1 on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

@ Nick Pepe

Blame Whiz and Obama, everything always seem to be thier fault anyway…

14. By CNelson on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

Is this the “hate the cardinals” board now?

Seams like all i keep reading are post from bandwagon jumpers slamming the team.

Flacco seams more unsteady than kolb, should be a fun day for our defence. Arizona wins and leaves Baltimore fans booing flacco!

15. By brad oneill on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

about that ad, Wow I just freaking love that guy more and more.

this is a game we should lose, as a cardinals fan those are always my favorite because there is something extra special about winning them.

16. By Jeremy on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

Um why are you people wanting to see Skelton? We already know what we have in Skelton and we still need to find out what we have in Kolb. It’s still way too early to make any conclusions about Kolb. He has yet to start a whole season’s worth of games in his career for crying out loud. Also, those already declaring Kolb a terrible QB will have to claim that his first two games with the Cards were a fluke and the way he’s been playing lately his how he’ll play for the rest of his career. Doesn’t it make more sense that he started off the season well but regressed into a funk? Despite his poor play of late, he is still the 17th best passer in the NFL. I believe he can play much better than he has been, he just needs time to get used to our offense.

And for the person who thinks we’ll only score 3 points need I remind you that we scored 3 touchdowns against last weeks #1 defense? Not only that, we did well enough against them to knock them out of first place in both total defense and passing defense despite them having a huge lead on the #2 defense. If you think we’re not even going to score a single touchdown, you’re nuts. Also, I can see the defense giving up 32 or even 42 points, but 52 is a long shot.

As for my prediction, it depends on whether or not our defense remembers to get off the bus. If the defense plays well 24 – 14 Cards, if not 24 – 38 Ravens.

17. By Rugbymuffin on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

To set the record straight, the last time these two teams met in Baltimore, it was not the 15 yard penalty that lost the game, it was that Neil Rackers couldn’t make a clutch kick to save his flippin’ life.

Stupid Rackers.

18. By Thedude on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

Win win win beat the ravens show them who’s boss

19. By BIG RED on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

It’s not really what I dream up in the summertime. Well, wake up and play like an NFL QB. Points = Wins, Defense = Championships. It all starts with the leader and that’s You the QB. Now, wake up!!!!!!!!!

20. By BIG RED on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

It’s going to be nice just to see Boldin make those great catches and run after catches tomorrow. That’s all I can say about the game.

21. By blake on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

I guess i will watch this game ( at least for a while to see how Anquan does) and see how many more ways this team/franshise can make me HATE them , i am so tired of the same old crap ,mediocre players ( yes that true ) poor play , stupid penalties . no offensive line ( Levi Brown is a joke ) ( without an offensive line how does a team run and pass ?) a defense for YEARS that has been unable to stop anybody especially one that can pass. this team is so predictable, even during the super bowl year the team had so much talent BUT still went into big games only to be BLOWN OUT,( PHILLY , NEW ENGLAND ) at least for the fans they got it together during the playoffs :)
    i use to come to this website ( for years ) every day ,just to get my fix on the Cardinals and now it has been weeks since i have checked it out BECAUSE come on lets face it. you read the headlines and it is all just propaganda crap week after week just the same old recycled GARBAGE . how many times do i have to hear that the penalties and mistakes are fixable ( what a joke ) Ken W. guess what , your team ( although different players ) are making the same BONEHEAD PLAYS that Dennis Greens , Dame Mcginnis , Vince Tobins , Joe Bugles ,Buddy Ryan ect ect teams all made
    you know …. i have been in the Electrical trade for 35 years and have worked on a lot of 12K volt systems ( oil refineries / industrial plants ) and if you make a mistake you don’t get a second chance . and how MANY STUPID MISTAKES does team make week in and week out? LUCKY for them they are not out in the real WORLD trying EARN a living

22. By Darren Urban on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

Rugby –

RE: Baltimore 2007

Rackets definitely had his share of fails as a Card. But the 2007 Ravens game wasn’t one. He was 3 of 4 on FGs, and the miss was from 47 right before the half. He converted the game-tying FG with 2 minutes left before the Ravens drove for the game winning kick.

23. By Chuck 1 on Oct 29, 2011 | Reply

drummer-1,

On June 4, 2008, Obama promised to make almost supernatural changes in a speech that has contributed to him being mocked as the Obamassiah!

“I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth.”

So, if HE can “slow the rise of the oceans and begin to heat the planet”, I’m sure that HE can make it snow in DE!!!

I have to say, though, that I don’t believe that Whiz has that Messianic power.

24. By BIG RED on Oct 30, 2011 | Reply

to blake 100% on that.

25. By cardfancolorado on Oct 30, 2011 | Reply

seems like heap wanted to stay in baltimore, maybe he should retire and move back cause he is not doing anything here besides sitting on the sidelines.

26. By BIG RED on Oct 30, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren who the Heck is this other Big Red.

27. By NJAZCardsFan on Oct 30, 2011 | Reply

See Jeremy…. Whether the Cards scored 3 or 27points they still lost. They lost because there is no defensive secondary and Kolb is a Disaster Always clone. Completing 50% of your passes in the NFL is nothing more than a prescription for a losing team….. losing season.

Prediction- They Rams will beat the Cards.

28. By Darren Urban on Oct 30, 2011 | Reply