• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Kolb’s turf toe and other day after notes

Posted by Darren Urban on October 31, 2011 – 11:41 am

As usual, there is only so much injury info available Monday morning. Coach Ken Whisenhunt reiterated quarterback Kevin Kolb has turf toe, and while it is black and blue and swollen, what that means to Kolb’s availability for practice and/or the game is yet to be determined. He did play the whole game with it yesterday, so that’s been proven.

Fullback Anthony Sherman (ankle) and tight end Rob Housler (groin) remain as the other question marks coming out of the game. Tight end Todd Heap (hamstring) was “close” but Whisenhunt — while hopeful Heap can play against the Rams — certainly wasn’t saying it was going to happen for sure. As for safety Kerry Rhodes (foot surgery), he remains out indefinitely. It still sounds like it’ll be another couple of games.

– The sacks Kolb took (six in all) were a combination of protection and Kolb holding the ball, Whisenhunt said. Already, it was out there that Brandon Keith and Jeremy Bridges will battle this week to be the starting right tackle. D’Anthony Batiste is the left tackle option, and Whisenhunt did leave the door open for a change with Levi Brown (although I still expect Brown to remain left tackle.)

– On cornerback A.J. Jefferson’s struggles: “He’s essentially like a rookie who is playing. Sometimes, whether you are a veteran or a rookie, you go through stretches like that and it is tough. That’s why it is so tough to play that position, not only from a physical standpoint but from a confidence standpoint. .. We have to continue to work him through this. It’s tough, when you are going against good players and they make good plays. That happens in this league, and we have to work at getting his confidence back.”

– Tuesday (tomorrow) at 5 p.m. Az time the NFL Network will replay yesterday’s game with enhanced replays and interviews. Obviously, not the rally you want to watch if you are a Cards’ fan. But maybe take a look at the first half? Just wanted to pass along the info.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

56 Responses to “Kolb’s turf toe and other day after notes”

1. By Phoenixraven1 on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Frick put Duece at tackle over Brown…I know wrong position but seriously he couldn’t be any slower or worse than Brown…

2. By Rugbymuffin on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Agreed Mr. Urban.

Your shorter than normal report makes sense in a season where there is not much to be said.

3. By conrad on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Qolb will never a good QB starter he is nothing but a backup we should start John Skellton I can understand and so would all Cardinals fans with struggles Skellton but he did finished last season good and showed he is better than Qolb as a QB

4. By MIKE G on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren– Thought O’Brien and Acho looked pretty good yesterday. These 2 guys are young and have upside. Given the Card’s record at 1-6 –Do you think these guys will get significant playing time the rest of the season???? I think it would be a good move!!!

5. By Ben on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Another Whiz blown lead…

Who didnt see that one coming. Getting old, keep up the good work Whiz, ugh.

6. By ndpenner on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Throw Skelton in there. Let Kolb heal and give John some more playing time. I liked some of the things I saw outta John last year and besides, what’s the worst that could happen? We lose to the Rams and become the NFL’s doormat…wait, nevermind. Already kinda there.

7. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Rugby –

RE: My report

“Shorter than normal?”

8. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Acho/Schofield

I believe that’s already been indicated.

9. By Procen on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I saw the end part of the first half and I was surprised that the offense is putting up points. When I checked the stat on NFL.com it is not really the offense that made those points. It is the combination of special team “Patrick Petersons” punt return and the defense making plays. It’s kind of hard to believed the offense is improving, as usual Kolb is holding on the ball too long and having difficulty reading the defense. I want your opinion on this, Darren.

10. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Procen –

RE: Offense

I doesn’t seem like the improvement is there, but that’s what everyone keeps insisting.

11. By David C. on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Any chance the Cardinals kicks the tires on a few quarterbacks this week? With Kolb’s turf toe, and struggles grasping the offense, are the Cardinals comfortable relying on a second-year QB and a career journeyman?

12. By D on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Tough for fans right now, but even more difficult for you hearing the same complaints every week…
    Besides the tackles and OLB positions, they should also put Bradley in at starter next to Washington since he is more of the future than Paris. Can’t wait to see what commentators fox sends for this upcoming game..

13. By Victor Sanchez on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Cards fans, hang in there. This team is definitely going through growing pains. It is my hope that the Bidwills don’t give up on Whisenhunt and clean house. We need continuity in the coaching philosophy.

That said I see major improvement in this offense. We have had several big plays this year. Once Kolb learns the offense he will know (not think) where his quick read’s are. I felt like we should have attacked more downfield, but in order to do that we need more protection. The last sack the Raven end beat 73 so fast Kolb didn’t have a chance. What is a QB to do?

Defensively is where I see we need the most work. Up by 21 I thought it was supposed to be impossible to play your normal offense. Baltimore abandoned the run and threw 51 passes. Yet in the second half we had 1 sack and very few hurries. Flaco looked like he was doing 7 on 7. Our pass rush has to improve if we are to have a defense that can hold a lead. Whether it is a 9 point lead against the Redskins, a 4 point lead against Seattle, a 10 point 4th Qtr lead against the Giants or an 18 point lead against the Ravens.

As I watch, I cant really tell if its personnel or philosophy. One thing I definitely feel is improving are the corners are at least getting their head around and looking for the ball. However, we give up to much space. I would like to have seen the safties more over the top so our corners can drive harder on the ball. I guess that goes back to getting pressure on the QB.

I ramble…:)

14. By rojobird on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

WE WANT SKELTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE WANT SKELTON!!!!!!!
    LOL :) thats probably what Kolb and Whiz are going to hear from fans in the next home game…. Seriously put Kolb in the injured list, now is the time with his “turf toe”. Put Skelton in specially now that we are playing the rams next. imagine if we play kolb our franchise QB and he cant deliver oh man we will be the laughed at in the NFL for a long time… If skelton wins well it will be in the positive note but if he looses than no harm no foul…. What do u think Darren any possibility Skelton could start next game?

15. By lg on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

shots out to bolden kurt warner wanted him to stay with us. i wanted him to stay with us. he got game and we trade him for a three round pick. was that smart. and fitz wanted him to stay maybe whiz see why now. you got to make better moves. this is the nfl if you dont like bolden dont invite him to your house but he is a allstar player and you need that dont trade him. COME ON MAN we had that coming what goes around comes around and it did yesterday.

16. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

David C –

RE: Another QB

Out of all the positions on the team, the one I feel safest in saying they are not going to add any to is quarterback.

17. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Rojobird –

RE: Skelton v Rams

If Kolb can’t go because of the injury. Otherwise, I don’t see any way Kolb doesn’t play.

18. By DW #! FAN on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

We saw ex-Cardinal Q tear up our pass defense yesterday. We saw could have been Cardinals Suggs rip through our offense at every angle. It is just beyond obvious that our team has issues that go deeper than Whiz or anything current. Why didn’t we just Pay Anquan to stay? Why do we think that we are goi ng to survive off of finding cheap deals and slacking off on improving our team. Kolb is a frikkin joke. I hope his turf toe means he doesn’t play against the Rams. That is one Cardinals injury I wouldn’t mind lasting for a couple of games. Skeleton is the Key as far as I am concerned.

19. By DW #! FAN on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

dare I say this. Imagine if Whiz never got all crybaby about Matt Lienart. I wonder what would have come of that. Matt did a hella of a lot better than Kolb. and last year we probably would have made our 3rd straight divison title. so many mistakes by our coaches and front office.

20. By dan on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

These coaches are so close to the action that they can’t see the big picture…………that’s a fact. Whiz is full of excuses and a stubborn sob. He keeps bringing in coaches that don’t fit our players strengths especially on defense. Dockett still play for us? That was a joke.

21. By dan on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Somebody ask will if he ever plans on using Patrick Peterson on offense????????????????????????? Probably the best athlete to ever wear a Cardinals uniform. Put Andre Roberts in a cheerleaders uniform and play Doucet and #2 and Sampson at #3 and throw Peterson in at least 10-15 offensive plays a game at 1 of the WR positions and run the ball with Beanie…..hehe! Man, that would seriously throw the defense out of whack. Amazing.

22. By Wonderingwhy on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

redonkulous! absolutely redonkulous… I have not made it through one game this season. I have stopped watching at half time every game. I feel sorry for Fitz he deserves better than this. Oh and thanks for wrecking my Sundays every week whiz

23. By NJAZCardsFan on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

It doesn’t matter if Boldin was still with the Cards or not…… No one would be able to get the ball to him anyway.

Turf Toe? At least our Disaster Always Clone #2 (Kolb) has an excuse now……

I know this may be somewhat brutal, but his brutally poor play deserves a brutal response…….

It is just unimagineable how the Cards got this bad in two years….

24. By Smack 28 on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

Here is my take on the game, Kolb improved on one or two plays. At that rate, he should be up to average in about four years. I have no desire to watch Skelton play QB. I know bringing in a QB is not the answer either. So, it is obvious we are stuck watching Kolb slowly develop.

In the meantime, can someone tell me what the O.C. is thinking and seeing out there? He is not fooling anyone with his play calling. My gosh, Kolb has no time to throw and makes bad decisions when hurried. So why don’t we stick to the run game longer than one or two plays? One or two plays of two or three yards does not set up the pass. I love the pass just as much as everyone, but man it is not working when you come out and throw almost every series. On top of that, the personnel on the field in those passing packages allows the other team to send more than what are available to block. I am tired of seeing empty sets. Man, does Whiz not know Brown can’t block anyone one on one?

Where is a good OC when you need one? Someone, please help!!

25. By rojobird on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

FOrgot to mention if we loose to The Rams we will become the 2nd worst team in the NFL this season right next to the Colts…. Anyone wanna cry yet or punch somebody… hehehehe :) Thanks Darren for answering… I see this as the right time to sit Kolb cuzz he is “injured” ;) and well Whiz and the team wont feel to guilty for it. I insist give Skelton a shot that way once and for all we can get out all the doubts we have about Kolb and see if it’s truly him or the team (offense). WHIZ IF U ARE READING THIS YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO DO IT BE A MAN AND STEP UP….. LOVE MY CARDS!!!!! :)

26. By Frustrated on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Believe it or not, I want Whiz to finish the season. (can’t believe I said that) However, I think that the Mr. B should remove Mr. Graves from office as soon as possible and hire a competent gm. The record of the Cardinals does not indicate that Mr. Graves is performing his duties like he should. Who do you think Darren would make a good GM?

27. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Frustrated –

RE: GM

I don’t see them making a change.

28. By bill dunn on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Skelton signed for X amount of dollars so give him a chance to earn it since
    Kolb is injured.He knows the plays and how to set his feet the Cardinal way
    that Kolb is still working on.Who knows.Whiz if Skelton plays well will get some
    credit and he needs a break this year.

29. By Kurt on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

For just one series I would like to see Rex line up at center with Duece at right guard and Jeremy at right tackle an then let Beannie have at it. I’m sure it would work if this trio could hold the personal fffouls to a minimum.

It would be fun to watch – Conrad Dobler style football

30. By Mikeflorio on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Only 27 comments? Fans are starting not to care. Whiz is safe for at least another yr due to the shorten off season. Our secondary has always been an issue, even when we traded for Superbowl MVP starks we still had issues, Williams has been our only shutdown corner!! Play calling has been inconsistent. we need to run, run, run.

31. By Rick on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Can Whiz please take Roberts out and sit him down he has shown nothing at all as an NFL receiver I mean NOTHING! I am mystified why he is the #2 receiver, also put Lutui in for Brown I know its the wrong position but hell at least he will try.

32. By VoiceofReason on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

“On cornerback A.J. Jefferson’s struggles: “He’s essentially like a rookie who is playing. Sometimes, whether you are a veteran or a rookie, you go through stretches like that and it is tough. That’s why it is so tough to play that position, not only from a physical standpoint but from a confidence standpoint. .. We have to continue to work him through this. It’s tough, when you are going against good players and they make good plays. That happens in this league, and we have to work at getting his confidence back.”

What was NOT said is that Jefferson isn’t a just another rookie playing corner. Peterson is. Jefferson is an UNDRAFTED rookie starting at corner. He’s the only one of his kind in the league (especially when not in a Cover 2-type system).

Look, I like AJ, and I like his story. But he doesn’t have the elite athletic ability that it takes to start at corner in the NFL. And as long as he starts there, teams will go at him and will get the better end of the matchup.

The natural next question is, who do we have that is better? Answer: Don’t know. But Leigh Bodden is available, and he can’t be worse.

I’ll bet my house that Graves has already summarily dismissed the idea of working him out.

33. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Kurt –

RE: Inside O-line

Interesting, but if there is one offensive lineman that seems locked it is center Lyle Sendlein.

34. By Scott H on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Pretty sad when your team is ahead by a score of 24-3 late in the first half and you KNOW – as sure as you are about anything – that they will lose the game. There’s not even a question where the Cardinals are concerned. There is NO game they can’t find a way to lose.

Biggest comeback in Raven’s history. Well, isn’t that nice…the Santa Claus of the NFL strikes again! Can someone tell me – do other teams send the Cardinals fruit baskets for the holidays in exchange for the gifts we give them every damn Sunday??? If they don’t, then that’s just rude!

Everyone ready to see our secondary get torched by Brandon Lloyd this week? Anyone think the Cardinals are going to win this game? As much as I would like to, I can find no reason. The Rams ( THE STINKIN’ RAMS, for Pete’s sake ) will be flying high after beating the Saints and they have to be feeling like they can absolutely win this game. The Cardinals, however, just gave up a 21 point lead to lose another one, they are probably deflated, and they have lost games just about every which way you can at this point. They do not know how to win a game right now.

Rams will win and dump us into last place. Again. Oh, what a feeling….

35. By horned frog on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I can see it now. Skelton will play, we will beat the hapless Rams because of a complete team effort, he wont complete 60%, the 3rd down conversions won’t hit 40%, they’ll settle for FG’s in the redzone and people will say he’s amazing. You heard it here first. Makes me sick.

36. By jocards on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Roberts and Doucet couldn’t catch a cold in the dead of winter yesterday….Kolb wasn’t great but he was better than his stat line looked. At some point the receivers have got to make a play for their QB and Roberts and Doucet both had at least 3 drops each. Terrible.

37. By horned frog on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

To David C’s point above, do you agree that on paper as far as QB depth is concerned we have an ideal situation. Young starter with potential, young draft pick you’re developing and an older vet journeyman? Seems like it makes sense.

38. By TucsonTim on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Kolb, another victim of artificial turf. Doesn’t sound like much of an injury, but it is and at best it’s going to bother him for the rest of the season. When it rains it pours.

We’re lucky to have one of the best playing surfaces in the NFL at U Phx stadium.

39. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

horned frog –

RE: QB situation

On paper, yes. But that starter has to play better than this.

40. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Rough day yesterday, longtime Cards raise your hands if you saw this coming. (One….two…….1,576…)

Darren, you said many a time that you are not a “fan”, simply objective with the team. You seen what, 100′s of Cardinals games since you left the Tribune back in the 60′s? Did you have a strong feeling about the losing outcome and if so, at what point?

And barring injury, everyone is calling for Skelton, which isn’t going to happen; at least not for a handful of games, IMO. When did John jump ahead of Bartel on the depth chart, or was that my imagination?

41. By Soares20 on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

going to AZ this weekend for my 21st and to support my Cardinals, I refused to support the team last year because I knew with DA it would be a train wreck, be patient Cardinals fans something great is in the making mark my words!

42. By NYCARDSFAN on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I feel so bad for larry fitzgerald. Best receiver in the league and he is stuck with this team. He could have retired with numbers close or better then Jerry rice. That’s gonna be tough to do now with this awful team and coaching staff. Oh well…better luck next year.

43. By shortthestock on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Boycott home games, force the bidwills to make decision.

44. By David C. on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

@horned frog I just think it makes more sense to have a serviceable veteran as your backup, and the young prospect as your no. 3. But, this discussion is meaningless. It’s becoming crystal clear we’ll be pushing the reset button at season’s end, and bringing in a new coaching staff. Honestly, I don’t think we’ll see any QB we have on next year’s roster. I think the Bidwells will pay Kolb to leave and the new regime will draft a QB.

45. By cards123 on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

We need a better coach period. Teams with less talent are doing better,! get a coach that that knows what he is doing and not a coach that is NOT one of the Steelers flunkies. I am sick of us picking up there trash . There is a reason they did not give Ken the head coach job in Steeler town an now your seeing his coaching is for well LOSERS !!! Stick with what works Horton damn if it’s working the first half why change it up c’mon man.

46. By DAVID on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

EXCUSES EXCUSES !! KOlb SUcks!!!! Larry should of left when he had the chance, NO he signed up to be a loser for the rest of his career, Cards history is to lose lose lose, The rams r gonna kick our butts

47. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Skelton/Bartel

Skelton was active for the Steelers game as the No. 2 after the bye, and Bartel was inactive. Same as last game.

48. By az1965 on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Re: “I don’t see them making a change.”

Of course… why would they? He will probably get another promotion. Only in Cardinals land…

49. By Scott H on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

AndyStandsUp

My hand is up!

50. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

This team is a product of the head coaches ego. So many players gone becuase the coach didn’t like them. Coach has systematically disected this team in a bad way because of his own ego. Its either that or he just simply doesn’t know what he is doing. Either way,he must go. When Bolden, Rolle and Dansby disappear, I thought it would be hard to recover. Then Leinart for DA and two Rookies. Then DRC for Kolb and a boat load of money. A desperate move to cover up the Lienart mistake. As much as I want to back Whiz, his track record speaks volumes. In the corporate world, stock holders would never stand for this and neither should our fans. Coach Whiz and his idea of a football team is driving a steak in the hearts of the fans. We as fans deserve better. The players deserve better, the organization as a whole deserves better. Coach Whiz, good try, nice effort, but your system just doesnn’t work here. Take a couple of years off. Find another job as a coordinator somewhere and try again with a different organization in the future. With all that said, lol. let go out and beat the rams. We are at home and in a must win situation. Coach if you blow this one, there should be signs all over the the stadium asking for your resignation.

51. By Steve Lee on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Kolb’s fine. Levi Brown is the slug who keeps letting DBs around the corner to sack Kevin. When will he be replaced?

52. By Scharf on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Gotta love Cardinal fans. They blame the Quarterback, a guy who hasn’t been here but a total of say.. 3 months? Last time I checked people, #4 isn’t on defense! Does anybody realize how close we are in games sometimes. We have now lost a total of 4 games by 3 points or less, and 1 game for 7 points. As far as i’m concerned Kolb isn’t the problem. The defense is the problem!

53. By Scharf on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

@Bay Area Bad Boy,

Your argument was pretty decent until you accused Whiz of trying to drive meat into our hearts… (Steak – Stake).

Also – just FYI, Rolle and Dansby wanted way too much money, and to be quite frank – their play did not come anywhere close to the pay they wanted. Boldin was always crying about his contract, which I personally would have booted him out the door. (Even though I enjoy watching him play.) Unfortunately in the latest deal with the DRC/Kolb controversy. You have to remember, we needed a QB. We didn’t have a QB and it was pretty slim pickings for one which gave The Eagles a great deal of leverage in a game of needs. Although I have to say, I miss DRC.

54. By JohnfromOz on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

In Aussie Rules, a coach gets fired if he’s not producing the goods (the season just gone – at least 3 out of 17 teams!
    Turf toe? Is that in the same medical classification as grass arse? never heard such a poor excuse since a couple of our AFL coaches invented “general soreness” as justification for giving an nonperforming highly paid “big star”a rest.
    Coach needs to go, Kolb needs to go, owners need to take along hard look at the administration. Following the Cards tickled my interest in the NFL but I am starting to look at a real sport!

55. By BIG RED on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Horned Frog now your playing the part of Nostrodamass.

56. By BIG RED on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Thanks to Kolb the Eagles just got stronger. Reid crying all the way to the Bank with a big smile.