• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

On sellouts and the fans’ discontent

Posted by Darren Urban on October 31, 2011 – 4:32 pm

The Cardinals have sold out 58 games in a row at University of Phoenix Stadium — in fact, every game they have ever played there, preseason and postseason included. But with the way the season has gone in 2011 (and the way 2010 went), along with the visit from a fellow 1-6 team in the St. Louis Rams Sunday, the question has built up for a while: Will the streak continue Sunday?

Coach Ken Whisenhunt, not surprisingly, is hoping it does.

“It’s obviously something that’s important to our team,” Whisenhunt said. “We’re working hard to try to make sure we’re taking care of business, and we haven’t done that. It’s been a tough stretch for our fans, I understand that, and we’re working hard to try to get that fixed. Hopefully they’ll continue to support us. We’ve had a number of exciting games (at UoP) and they’ve been a big part of that. All I can tell you is that we’re going to have more (exciting games) there, and we sure would appreciate the support.”

That led to a follow-up question about hearing criticism coming from fans, and Whisenhunt pointed it out it’s delivered by “you guys,” as in the media, because even if he isn’t reading message boards or listening to talk radio, he isn’t unaware of what’s being said.

“I understand that’s part of this business,” Whisenhunt added. “We’re not performing the way we expect to perform and we’re not performing the way our fans expect us to perform. But let me tell you this, it’s not because out guys aren’t working and they’re not trying. When we walked off that field yesterday, our guys were crushed. It’s hard. We want to win and we’re working hard to try to do it. It’s one of those things where we have to stick together.”

Tags: , , ,

86 Responses to “On sellouts and the fans’ discontent”

1. By justin on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, last week more then half of that sellout where Steelers fans. As a season ticket holder its disconcerting to be the ONLY Cardinals fan in my entire row. You read that right. I was the only Cardinals fan in my entire row.

2. By Brandon LA on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Working hard and trying don’t mean much at this point. These post game conversations are OLD.

Cardinal fans are 58-0. That’s how the ownership should view it’s fans. This team hasn’t lived up to expectations for a while.

And I am sick of hearing “somebody needs to make a play”… The whole team, players and coaches, needs to be smarter. How that happens? Let the owners figure it out, or the streak will end sooner than they want.

Personally I think it sucks to see the “old cardinals” back in town

3. By Michael on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I feel like calling 911 cards are ripping me off. I putt more effort into making the money I used to pay for my tickets than the cards do to finsh games

4. By reap37 on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

This is a joke right? We believed this team made big investments to get the team back to Division Champs. We are now one of the three worst teams in the NFL. I’m already angry I forked out a bunch for season tickets this year. Next year? Don’t think so.

5. By Mary on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Nobody gets excited about a losing team. The reason you see so many Steelers fans is because many Cardinals fans sell their tickets at double plus this helps pay for the rest of the season tickets. This holds true for the Dallas game (no matter how bad the cowboys are).
    But the bottom line if you are a Cardinal Fan you will support them no matter what, these are all professional football players and believe me they don’t want to go to the stadium to lose or be the butt of jokes. Many times when they do deserve a pat on the back they are like proverbial “destinys tot” ignored by the media.
    You don’t see true FANS leave a stadium early no matter what the score. Believe me the Packers are not “perfect” but their fans are just like Pittsburg, Dallas just to name a few. perhaps it is because so many Arizonians are from “somewhere else” I have been in the valley for 20+ yrs and I am a Cardinals Fan no matter what, I get just as frustrated as anyone else BUT they are MY Cardinals!!

6. By Christo on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Perfectly said Brandon.

New GM and a new Head Coach and staff, along with new players are needed.

Otherwise the Bidwill’s can forget about much re-newing going on.

7. By az1965 on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think most are questioning the “working hard” part… It is pretty obvious we are just a bad team, both player talent wise and coaching staff wise.

Investing so much in an unproven QB is turning out to be a disaster.

Our OL pass blocking is terrible.

Pass rushing non-existent with old and past their prime OLB’ers.

CB’s are bad save rookie Peterson who is going thru rookie learning.

Play calling is questionable.

Defensive schemes breaking down frequently.

8. By Amanda Kennedy on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I was at the last home game and if it wasn’t for all the Steelers fans there, that one may not have been a sell out. I wore my Cardinals jersey and was a rare site at the game. Completely embarrassed by the teams performance and the fact that the visiting team’s fans totally dominated in the stadium. Steelers are a big team, so that one was a no brainer. A sell out for sure. Not thinking Rams have a real big following to fill the seats at our stadium. This may be the first. I can only pray that the Cards and the coaches get on the same page to ignite the fans again.

9. By Dennis on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

There is a reason the Eagles gave up on Kolb and traded him. He just can’t react when his first receiver is covered. He cannot step up in the pocket or slide step to avoid a rush. Wiz would be wise to bech Kolb this week (use turf toe as an excuse) and go with Skelton. Both Wiz and Kolb will get a pass this week if we lose to the Rams.

10. By Darlene Reynolds on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Our row is normally all Cardinal Season Ticket Holders who have had tickets for years. On 10/23, there were 4 Cardinal fans in our row (us and the couple next to us). The rest of the season ticket holders sold their tickets to Steelers’ fans. This is sad. I like the Steelers, too. I grew up back there, but when I go to a Cardinals home game, I support the home team.

As for the way they are playing….there is no excuse. These guys make a lot of money to play football. If I were to perform my job they way they do, I would be unemployed. Come on guys, you are better than 1-6. Show it!

11. By steven desrosiers on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

im tired of watching my team lose by a field goal every week .
    23 years now. bidwill, you got your stadium give us some wins.

12. By Scott H on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

It’s just so sad to see how far we’ve fallen…and how fast. I swear, the celebration in this stadium after the NFC title game win against the Eagles in 2008 brought tears to my eyes. No joke. When I saw that tear going down the side of Adrian Wilson’s face in the post-game interview, I felt one go dowm my face as well. I couldn’t believe that such a wild celebration was going on in THIS team’s house! MY house! OUR HOUSE!!!

But now? Ugh. I still feel like crying but they ain’t tears of joy, let me tell ya. After 58 consecutive sell-outs, there is NO denying that the fans have done their part to support the team. These fans have created a home field advantage OVERNIIGHT in a place where there was NONE before. At this point, the organization is NOT SUPPORTING THE FANS. If they continue to not support the fans, then they shouldn’t be surprised when attendance starts to drop…and home games are being blocked out again…and there are just as many Cowboys / Steelers / Eagles / Bears fans at the games than home team fans….sound familiar? Just like the good ol’ days at Sun Devil Stadium. Hope someone from the front office is listening – because two good seasons doesn’t give you a pass to be pathetic again for the next decade or two. HELL TO THE NO!!! What it DOES do is exactly what it SHOULD do – it raises people’s expectations and their standards. I will NOT go back to accepting losing again. And if many of the posts on this site are any indication, neither will a lot of other people.

Hear this, front office – the surest way to make the fans go away is to take them for granted. And right now, we’re starting to feel like that.

13. By Mark in Chandler on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren, At the risk of sounding like a polly-anna let me say the sky is not falling. In each season there are games you should win and don’t and games you win but maybe you shouldn’t have. The Cards have lost 4 games they should have won. They just seem a little snake bitten at this point. Now that said there are a lot of places this team needs to improve. We need 2 new OT, better depth at safety, and maybe a #2 WR. Kobb needs to improve, the corners need to mature, and the young OLB need to continue to grow, but the future does look positive. Those problems can be addressed in the off season We will not be going to the play offsthis year but I thought that would be a long shot anyway.

If we had held onto wins against Washington, Giants, and Baltimore those concerns I mentioned would have been talk show discussions but not world-is-coming-to-an-end discussions. I understand wins are everything in the NFL but I looked at this year as a growing year not a playoff year. Now if we are in this same place next year at this time then I will up in arms as well. But we are on track to be building a good and competitive team. Lets not get all lathered up just yet. The sky is not falling.

14. By Paul on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Brandon LA said it all!

15. By UC on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

“Our…we’re…we…we’ve…they’re…”.

No “my”, or “mine”, or “I”, and the only “me” is in reference to making a statement. No “my job performance is not acceptable”, no “the fault for the team’s poor performance is mine”, no “I am to blame for…”.

Good ole’ Kenny, so consistently clueless. But why didn’t he whip his excuse from last year of blaming the fans for not giving him his self-appointed level of “fan equity”? Did Michael have a chat with him about that? LOL.

16. By SteveDCO on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been a Whiz supporter but his routine of we are working hard is growing thin.

Maybe it is time to make a change, as much as I hate to say it

17. By WNY card fan on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Reading Darren’s stories (good ones, by the way, appreciate the effort), sometimes you just wonder about what is going on. I mean, it sucks a 6 game losing streak, an 11 game away losing streak, 2010 and 2011 plain horrible on all facets, but don’t you have to have a PLAN to right the ship? I know Whiz says the same stuff EVERY week, but it would be nice to see something change. Realize there is only 53 guys to work with, so how about some game plan changes? Scheme changes? I mean something? They are all complaining and/or wishing fans support, yet how is anyone supposed to get excited about this run they are having (or have had for 50years)? Give us something to be happy about, I mean progress of more than just one play would be nice. Like a good 3rd down conversion rate for one game. Glad to see he benched some guys and put some others in, but why are we waiting until game 8 and complete ruin before we do it? Our QB, whether he is good or not (hard to tell, I haven’t made up my mind yet, but its getting harder to feel comfortable with his performance) is getting killed. Perhaps he is holding on too long, but isn’t he like in the top 3 QB’s sacked this year so far? How’s that feel? Its a wonder he only has turf toe. Skeleton in? I know some want it but who can say whether he’s the answer. If he goes in and fails, then what? Read some other stories/posts around the league and note the difference in players and coaches statements when getting their butt’s wipe off the map. Ryan from cowboys “Totally on me”, other players “we stink’ I stink we need to get our heads out of our butts” etc… I don’t see it here, ever. I’ll be the first to admit, I don’t want to tell people that I performed poorly, but I sure as heck don’t want someone calling me out either. They need to collectively look in the mirror and “get some”.
    I”m afraid to say it, but I don’t think it matters who starts at QB at this point, the team is a mess.

18. By BIG RED on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Let John Skelton play and they will come!!!!

19. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

It’s going to end, more than likely, sooner than later.
    A few months ago, you probably be laughed at if you said the Cards and Rams would be 1- 6 at this juncture.
    If it’s close to a sellout, wonder if the Bidwill’s will use the “Neil Best” rule of buying unsold tickets at 34 cents per dollar value? A lot of owners have and , frankly, I’m thinking it would be deserving.
    More worried about the late season Seahawks and Browns games selling out.

20. By Rugbymuffin on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

We learned this year, that football is a business.

These players weren’t overly concerned about the fans when it came time to fight over money. That was loud and clear to all of us fans.

When a business fails, it loses customers, it loses money, and people get fired.

You cannot be saying this is a business one day, and expect family type loyalty the next.

The Cardinals fans have paid good money for a bad product over the last two years, and this organization has put out a bad product more years than not.

Then to hear about how this is a business for months on end ? LOL. This group should be happy there are any fans at all paying money to watch this embarrassment.

21. By Blair on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I feel bad for saying it, but i truly hope i dont get to see this game sunday because of a black out. sure it wouldnt make this team win more games this year. but at least i would know the front office is getting the messgae. NO more excuses! win or we will stop blowing our hard earned money to a buisness that could care less what they are giving its customers, so long as they keep coming back.

22. By BIIRDISTHEWORD on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

at this point this season is pretty much over though i hope we atleast match last years wins…come to think of it…all Arizona teams suck…i’ve been a fan of the Cardinals,Suns,Dbacks,Coyotes,Sun Devils all my life…and every year is disappointing even though theres always something in me that hopes that one day we take it all…and of course it ends in disapointment..do i give up on supporting my teams? HELL NO…i support them through losses and wins…eventually this sellout streak is going to end simply because arizona fans aren’t die hard fans…but i for one will be there repping the RED SEA….

23. By Rich on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I cant justify putting out money for season tickets anymore, considering that the Cardinals wont put out enough money to get a 2nd WR threat to take some of the heat off Larry Fitz. Not to mention, I dont want to contribute to Levi Brown’s salary.

24. By georgiebird on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

It’s a sad day in the real Cardinal-land. Tony LaRussa has retired. I could always count on Tony to try new things. He always had a new idea or he was challenging a player to do better. I will miss Tony because it was a given he would out-perform the opposing manager in a great majority of the games. His game preparation was shrewd and insightful. Tony knew how to get an edge; he was aware of everyone’s strengths and weaknesses-opposing players as well as his own. Most of all, I’d had confidence that if there was a way to win, Tony would figure it out.
    Why do I bring up Tony LaRussa’s retirement on a football site? Maybe the Bidwills will read this piece and understand what has been desperately needed by the football Cardinals for many, many years.

25. By Phil on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Your writing is starting to parallel the team. Lots of promise (your topic) but no delivery (lack of substance).

Why don’t you answer the question on all of our minds?

1. How many tickets haven’t been sold?

26. By rick on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I am sick to my stomach every time I go to UofP stadium and we lose. That long walk back to my car hearing the opposing fans cheer! Spending an entire day getting to and from the stadium. Spending more money @ the stadium and to have a less than mediocre product on the field just makes me sick.
    I went through this @ Sun Devil Stadium. We gave the Cards a new stadium and now all we hear is we only lost by 3 points in most of those games. YOU STILL LOST!! I love the Cards but am considering not getting season tickets next year. This product reeks!!

Signed,
    Disappointed again!!

27. By Peter in Canada on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I know I am in the minority but turn arounds can happen very quickly in the NFL. Buffalo and Detroit to name two. Most of the time we are losing close which I think is a good sign. I am disappointed but hopeful. Besides I think you need some posts that are positive Darren.

28. By wsphxcardsfan on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Are we the Chicago Cubs of the NFL?

29. By azcardinalfan on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

that rodgers-cromartie jersey is hurting me. and the cardinals secondary

why not toler???

30. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Phil -

RE: tickets sold

So sorry I let you down. Maybe I should be fired too.

They never say how many tickets are left. I have heard it’s closer to a sellout than many would think.

31. By Troy Landrum on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I am in this for long haul. Had my tickets for 18 years. I would say 95% of the home games have been extremely exciting. Didn’t always win. Neither did the patriots! We will get our wins this year. I believe that will happen.

What is hard to believe is that our coaches calling the plays have used a RB as a safety valve I think three times this season. If the line cannot hold the D line, then have some quick options. If Kevin can’t figure those options out, then we have an entirely different issue than than the O-line.

We screwed up letting breaston go. The one thing inhale not seen from the WR staff except from Fitz, is a desire to want the ball period. That’s heart and that is lacking. These guys are
    the top 1700 football players on this planet. No
    excuse for not wanting it more than the other
    guy. Breaston provided that to us, as well
    The being someone that could stretch the field.

Lastly, team speed. In a league where speed is
    dominant, why are we lacking in this area?
    Sure we have some burners. One is injured, the other two play defense.

Let’s get this thing right. We have 9 games left. 7 and 2, I will accept. Keep the injuries to a minimum and make us proud at home.

Before I forget, making the fans that show up
    feel appreciated at The U of P Stadium would be a nice gesture, especially those in Sec-118 that always shows up.

Get it Done!

32. By Shelly on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know who is to blame for the 1-6 season but I do know that I am tired of driving from Lake Havasu City to UofP stadium to watch the Cards lose. And I know it is supposed to be about football, but what about the half time shows…really? No disrespect for the Cardinals cheerleaders, but are they really the halftime show??? And it WAS disappointing to see all of the Steelers fans in the stands last game…I am wondering if there will be ANY Cardinals fans in the stands for the Dallas game…

33. By Steve on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Darren: You do a great job reporting Darren dont let the naysayers get to you but this season is a big disappointment to all of us fans and while I still have hope for Kevin Kolb, I have to admit that getting the chance to draft Andrew Luck would improve this disenchanted fan base here in AZ.

34. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Fan frustration is understandable as I am one that vents as well. But a win would cure a lot of the frustration. The Rams come to town this week. There is no way we can lose to them. Oh I almost forgot. We have coach Whiz calling offense and Blitz Happy Horton calling defense from the booth. But just maybe even with the poor coaching the fans can rally behind the team and we can pull one off. All we need is one. Until the next week. Then we will need one again.

35. By Matt in Philly on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I said it from the moment there were talks about Kolb: Skelton is arguably as good, if not better than Kolb. I really hope that he gets a chance — seeing as how he didn’t get much of one during the pre-season. Frankly, I’d like to see how Bartel fares after the remarkable pre-season he had.

I don’t think that either guy will play particularly well on sunday, but the question remains: do we see Skelton/Bartel two weeks from now if they throw a couple TDs and 250 yards?

36. By comeonman on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Phil-
    Only about 1000 tickets left.

AndyStandsUp-
    If the Bidwells paid $.34 cents on the dollar, that would probably be about $30K.

37. By Brandon in CO on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I’ll be out there in full force for my first home Cardinals game against the Rams. If my first home game isn’t a sellout, so be it. I’ll be louder than 5 fans combined…so at least it’ll be a sellout in my row. Can’t wait to see that red bird in the middle of the field. I’m so excited to finally get to AZ.

1-6 will have to do. I still have to make the most of this. You AZ fans are spoiled- you go to games with thousands of other fans that aren’t jeering at you. You get to see the Cardinals on TV at home instead of fighting bar crowds or listening to Dave Pasch and Ron Wolfley (no offense guys…I would just rather see the action). Cannot wait to be there in a few days.

GO CARDS! BEAT THE RAMS!

38. By Victor Sanchez on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I’m proud to say I’ll be there! Go Cards!

39. By John S on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Amen Dennis amen! you described Kolb in a nutshell “He just can’t react when his first receiver is covered.” I shake your hand.

40. By Soares20 on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I am going to be there supporting my Cardinals they are going to show us this weekend that we have a team to be excited about and it is my 21st so they had better give me a win as a present haha, hope to see the rest of the fans there don’t lose hope this team will get things turned around!

41. By Nate on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Yes Its hard to stay behind a team that struggles, but i truly feel that our team gives its best every week and fields a good product. Most of the games have been fun two watch and dramatic. despite the losses, cant stop watching on game day. I feel so excited when ever Patric Peterson gets the ball. It was great to see our young Line Backers make big plays. Wells puts the hurt down so hard i cringe when he comes with in 5 yards of a D-B. I’m going to watch on every game day this year even if i have to make a trip to Glendale to do so.

42. By suspence716 on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

I’m proud to say I usually go to 2 home games every year and was at the rams game last year. I’m also proud to say I work really hard for my money everyday and I am not willing to pay a single dollar to go watch Kolb run backwards and get sacked or fumble. I’d almost rather have a blackout so I can just see the disgusting highlights of the cardinals suckin it on sportcenter. Put it Skelton, not like we could get much worse at the QB position, n i bet skelton isn’t afraid to pull the trigger or step up in the pocket. I’ve seen enough of this team and yes I’m a diehard cards fan, call me fair-weather all you want but i want more out of a PRO football team. Now I’m going to sleep on my cardinals sheets, pillow cases and comforter!

43. By Marlene Marvelous on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

Alright Brandon and Troy. I agree. Fans have not idea how hard football players work and all the things they must study and prepare so that they are ready for a game on Sunday We all had high expectations but building a team a strong team takes time. No quick fixes in the NFL. The Cardinals need fans that will stick with them thru thick and thin. The Cardinals will turn this around. I will be there on Sunday with my head held up high. Thanks Cardinals for putting up with some very spoiled fans

44. By PACardsfan on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

If I lived near Arz., and could afford to be a season ticket holder, I’d def. be at every game. I’ve been a Cards fan even before they became somewhat of a winning team. Now, yes, it sucks to see them going back to losing like the have in pass, but it’s those who stick with their team thru winning seasons, lossing seasons, and avg. seasons, who are the true fans. I live in Lancaster, PA, and I’ve gone to at least four games that I can remeber…1 in Carolina, and the others…..in Fed Ex field. All losses, but I enjoyied the games. I’ve supported them and all. I don’t care who they’de play or their record, if I could go to every home game, I WOULD! TOUGH SEASON, but I still am a die-hard Cardinals fan. PS…..I do miss having DRC and I admit, I don’t care much for Wells (thus I was mad when Hightower was traded…liked him), nor Kolb, but Wells has proven he can be a good RB. Kolb, he still hasn’t impressed me, but I do see some postives in which I didn’t think I would. Other note….love watching LSH when he gets in the open field. He is a little beast!

45. By tom on Oct 31, 2011 | Reply

it is literally the same thing every week. i want whiz to get mad! this is bs! stop with the cliches and win games! he says the same exact thing every single week.. we literally are FINDING ways to lose! watching this team makes you wanna shoot yourself lol. im a die hard fan and will always support this team even when we play bad but this season is heartbreaking! i literally predict the plays we are going to choke on and 90% of the time im right. every single key play is either an incompletion or a kolb scramble that leads to him throwing the ball away or on defense its a missed tackle no pressure or ome of the worst coverage ive ever seen. ive been a huge advocate of not changing coaches but when they KEPT jefferson on boldin when he was getting beat like a drum i was furious. it tooki boldin havin 4 catches for 80 yards within what seemed like back to back plays. unbelievable! why would you put the tiny jefferson on boldin who is probably the most physical wr in the league!!!!!! peterson is just as big as boldin and gives you a wayyyyyyy better chance with his size and in press coverage. i get that they wanted the speedy peterson on the speedy torrey smith but when jefferson is getting beat like a drum play after play you have to put your freak athlete on boldin. pp was matching boldins physicality which is something jefferson doessnt eve hae the ability to do… seriously i am still fuming over tat if you cant tell lol. i will always watch every game but this season has got to be the mot disheartening i can remember. they keep it close and lose in the worst ways possible…

46. By dan on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

No way this game is a true sellout…………NO WAY!

47. By NJAZCardsFan on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Maybe it is time for Whiz and the team to start reading these boards…….

The shock effect of what is being said may wake them up….. then on the other hand maybe they don’t care, as they are still getting paid for the crap effort they are putting out.

48. By dieselbomb on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I’m with those who think the Coaching is as much, if not more the problem.

I join the others who say they don’t like the ‘Dumpster Diving’ in Pittsburgh’s trash to come up with players. But when you look at it, Coach Whiz gets all Free Agents and players who have been cut from teams he used to Coach on in one capacity or other : Browns (Anderson), Jets (Faneca, Feely, Lenon and Rhodes) and Pittsburgh.

I really question the “Steelers of the West” mentality (whether that’s what Coach Whiz would cop to or not – it would be difficult for him to refute the implication).

Everyone has an upside and a downside, so I feel I must say, to Coach Whiz’s credit: Coach Whiz Did change – or helped change – the AZ Cardinals player and fan culture. But there’s a “Tails” side to that coin : Now the Cardinals fanbase is itching for more wins … we don’t like this Old Cardinals look and feel. We fans think we’re beyond that now. That’s the danger of fielding a winning team in 2008-2009. Post-season winning is more addictive than Crack Cocaine. And we need another fix.

Coach better produce. That’s why the head coach always gets the Big Bucks. Produce, or we’ll get the Bidwill’s to find someone who will … (Damn right that’s a threat – :-)

49. By Jay Hughes on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

It’s just not now that the Cardinals struggle through a season. It seems to be the history of the team. I’ve been a fan since the 1970 season when the were in St. Louis. Every year seems like this. We make the playoffs every 20 years or so and them fall apart for awhile. We rebuild constantly and cannot keep our good players. Sitting here in Iowa among the Bears and Packers fans it’s rough to take. When the schedual comes out and you look at the possible wins, it sucks to loose them. They are all games that can be won and we don’t. So what’s going to happen next? The head coach will be fired at the end of the year. And the whole process will start all over again. I’ve seen this from Charlie Winner until now.

50. By John on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

My Club seats license is up for renewal at the end of this season. The performance of the team is embarrassing. I would like to see the Cards bring in a football person to run the organization like the DBacks did with Kevin Towers. Graves has been here too long . The new GM can decide on who he want to be the Head Coach. I would keep Whis under him for 2012 but take away his(Whiz) personnel decision authority. We don’t need to pick up Steeler cast-offs.
    I don’t plan on renewing if we keep all the same losers in place.

51. By Andy M on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I understand why it is necessary to ride with Kolb for as long as possible. He has to go through the learning curve. Better football minds than ours see something in the guy. Still, the poor production is horrible and it is painful to watch. If I had a vote I would be in favor of letting Kolb’s turf toe rest this week and starting Skelton. Nothing like a little pressure from behind to motivate. Maybe we would all learn something more about both Kolb and Skelton and the rest of the offense. Since there is an “excuse” to sit Kolb, what is the downside?

52. By cardsalltheway on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I’m from the mid-west, when I moved to Phoenix in the 90′s my father spoke negatively about the Cardinals because he’d already been living in the valley a while(he wasn’t out of the ordinary). On the other hand, I was excited about the Cardinals being new to the area and was always ready to cheer them on especially when the Cowboys came to town. Unfortunately, I can now see where my father was coming from(with Ken W. as head coach). I’ve been living abroad for a while now and have never been to the new stadium. I was considering(earlier this year – false hope – bought into the hype) making a stop to the valley on a vacation this month but certainly don’t see any reason to do so until Ken W. is long gone.

Shelly,
    “No disrespect for the Cardinals cheerleaders, but are they really the halftime show??? And it WAS disappointing to see all of the Steelers fans in the stands last game…”

I think Ken W. and Co.(rest of the former-Steelers) was the “show” for Steeler fans a couple weeks ago.

53. By adam sheafe on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

It’s funny because at any other organization Whisenhunt would be in the hot seat for sure and almost a guarantee he would be fired during or after the season. But this organization doesn’t care about losing because it’s been so used to it for so long. It’s the norm. The Bidwell’s do not care about winning at all. It’s obvious. The team actually might gel a littel better with Kolb out for a week. He was not the answer nor is all of the Pittsburgh guys Whiz keeps bringing in to the organization. Whiz was not the answer either. I’m not even gonna ask for his job anymore. If the owners don’t care about winning why should we. This organization and front office is despicable!!! Let’s keep losing at least we know we are good at that!!!

54. By FanSinceLomax on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Cardinals fans have always been wishy washy. A new stadium and a Superbowl appearance doesn’t change that.
    Regardless if it was playing the Cowboys playing in Sun Devil Stadium, or The Steelers last home game.
    Cardinals fans on average are wishy washy.
    Part of it is the area itself is a melting pot, of many different people from many different places.
    Another reason was not long ago they were the worst Franchise is pro sports, right up there with the clippers.
    The fact is Lions fans are more loyal than Cardinal fans and that is a team that went 0-16 not long ago.
    Either you are a fan or you are not, supporting your team only when they win or are doing well in the standings is a joke.
    I have been a Cardinals fans since about 1983, we have some loyal fans but I have said this before and will say this again.
    On average we have the worst fans in the NFL, they are wishy washy band wagon jumpers who only root when it looks good for them.
    When the Superbowl run happened I had people come up to me and tell me “I bet you didn’t buy that cardinals hat till this year” It was annoying but at the same time I understand why they said it.
    The average Cardinals fan isn’t a real fan.
    I respect real Cardinals fans and I am proud of this team but honestly I am pretty embarrassed to counted among these casual fans.
    You know them, they are the people who won’t show up on Sunday.
    Even if we would have won the Superbowl it would still be this way, how sad is that?
    We have been a better team and organization than the cowboys for 12+ years and the average cards fan doesn’t care. Cowboys fans still show up for games.

55. By John the Draft Guy on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Are you ready for a QB controversy??

With Kolb’s status, it will be Skelton’s turn. He draws the 1-6 Rams at home. Forget last week, the rams defense has been horrible all year. John will look good and the cards will get a win.

Now, here come the fans yelling for Skelton to be the starter the rest of the way (even though Kolb would have a good day at home against the rams).

But coach Whiz will insert Kolb back in (rightfully so) the next week. Of course, thats on the road against Philly and their 3 CBs. Kolb will have a miserable day and the critics will be screaming for Skelton. After a second loss in San Fran the next week, will Ken cave in? Sure. He gives Skelton another shot and blames Kolb’s injury. Of course, Skelton draws the rams again and leads us to another victory. That’s how 65 million gets benched. Fair? No. But it sure could happen that way.

So, in the words of Hank Williams jr;
    Are you ready for some controversy?

56. By daniel on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

disappointed ……..yeah.
    paid alot for my season tix…..yeah.
    unhappy with my team …..oh hell yeah.
    buying season tix next year ?? AWWW HELL YEAH !!!!

i support my team through thick an thin and will always back the Cardinals !!
    i live around 300 miles away and get to as many games as i am able. started living my lifelong dream of watching the cardinals play at home since 06 an became a season ticket holder. i will continue my account as long as possible.
    and will FOREVER support my ARIZONA CARDINALS !!!!

LETS GO CARDINALS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

57. By lg on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

the streak will end soon if they dont play better and win games. cause from way i see it they aint worth watching whiz need to take care of business ASAP REAL TALK.

58. By OhioCardsFan on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Before I moved to Ohio, I was a season ticket holder for many years, and have always supported the Cardinals. They are OUR team, through thick and thin, and the true fans will love the team no matter what. But, with that said, a “true” fan can still be upset (as I am) about a VERY disappointing season. I agree with many of the posts I have read regarding the coaching staff. Poorly coached second half against the Ravens. The coaches lost that game, not the players! I know that the players will show up for their fans at UoP this weekend, let’s hope the freakin coaching staff shows up! Whiz and his guys better be up to the task, because the Rams will NOT be laydowns! Hope the games sells out! Wish I could be there! My Red Sea bretheren, scream loud for our Cards! AZ CARDS 4EVR!

59. By grabling on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

The season its over for this mediocre team. Please just win twice the 49ers… I hate that team.

60. By Rich on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

We don’t ever hear Whiz say that he or the other coaches did anything wrong. he never shoulders any blame. He is a Stubborn Engineer !!!!!!!!!!!! Eventually we’ll get out of this and his syetm will work…….but we will have all suffered in the meantine because he is inflexible.

61. By Victor Sanchez on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I am a Cards fan that is proud to say I will be at the game and will support them through these growing pains.

Come out enjoy the nice weather, do some tailgaiting, and enjoy some exciting football games. That is why I have always enjoyed Cardinals games.

I believe the ownership has doen their job. They made a bold move and brought in a QB everyone wanted. They are spending money on free agents, resigning core players (Fitz, Docket, Wilson).

It’s up to the coaches and players now. Let’s hope for a win this week!

62. By RelayTV on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I am a true fan of the Cardinals.

That means I love the the CARDINALS.

But when it comes to the players, coaches & front office personnel I only love the good or great ones, and I hate the bad ones because they HURT THE TEAM!

Whiz decides who plays or sits & what plays to run. He hand picked Horton & Kolb.

The team is no better than it was last season, and may even be worse.

Whiz has the rest of this season to right the ship & win at least more games than last season, or he has to go. Period.

Any one can have 1 bad season, but if you get worse 2 seasons in a row, that’s a trend.

If he doesn’t win at least 6 games and the Bidwills don’t fire him, then they won’t get my money next season. No tickets, no jerseys, nothing.

Pro football is a product. Only a fool throws hard-earned money away on a bad product.

63. By brazilian cards fan on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I live in Brazil and been a Cardinals fan since the 07 season. Of course the current season is a disappointing one, but all we can do now is believe and play it out, try to get some wins.
    Giving up on them is what the team doesnt need.
    Cardinals all day baby, GO CARDS!!!!!

64. By jocards on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Well I do believe the team is working hard and that they want to win. For goodness sake this is the NFL! A team trying hard and losing every week isn’t going to cut it. This is a bad football team that is poorly coached IMO. Look at the Steelers game and their pass protection schemes, they were incomprehensible. Guys were coming unblocked into an empty backfield; LB’s were coming free on blitzes. These are the Steelers we were playing! They pressure the QB! Our coaching staff should be well aware of their tendencies, wouldn’t you think? I realize it is possible that guys were totally missing their assignments but to me more often than not the schemes looked bad. Come on! Something has got to radically change and you simply can’t turnover an entire roster…so what’s left?

65. By SuperBird on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I read all of the comments and see that you guys are ripping the team, coaches, owners, and even Darren. Why dont you all just go find another teams bandwagon to jump on. For those of you few Cards fans out there that I saw and took pictures with at the stadium, thanks for sticking around. Yes, we arent doing that great, but I am glad we arent for the simple fact that most of you weak fans will leave and us true fans will be here when we do make it to the super bowl again someday. I dont care how long it takes, I will always be THE Cards fan.

66. By jocards on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

@ grabling

Don’t you think referring to a team that is 1-6 as mediocre is being a bit too kind?

67. By Scott H on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Are people SERIOUSLY going to feel good about beating the Rams??? Really? Well, if THAT doesn’t say something about how far we have fallen…then I don’t know what does.

A mere two seasons ago, we were winning a 2nd consecutive division title and a legitimate contender in the NFC. Today, we are 1-6 and getting psyched up because we’re playing the Rams and SHOULD be able to beat them…really???

We lost to the Vikings by a margin of 24 points a few weeks ago, folks. Please don’t foolishly delude yourselves into thinking that the Rams can’t beat us, too. They absolutely can and it will be no surprise if they do.

68. By jocards on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

@ SuperBird

I don’t mean to attack your post & I know you are likely as frustrated as all of us fans. I am however so sick of reading posts from fellow fans that are claiming to be the only “real fans“because they have nothing negative to say about the organization. Telling fans that are sick of all this losing to go find another team is ludicrous. The Cardinals are our team and that is precisely why we are so upset. If it were as simple as just following a different team don’t you think we would? We love the Cardinals and absolutely hate to see them floundering year in and year out. Finding another team to root for is NOT an option for most of us, this is our team. The fact is that the Bidwill family has shown no commitment to fielding a consistent winner, they are all about a healthy bottom line and that holds true all the way back to St. Louis. Why do you suppose the team is now playing in Arizona? It isn’t because of the mild desert winters I can tell you that! Putting a winning team on the field isn’t a priority, the fans in STL refused to build Bidwill a new stadium as a result so he up and moved. The location has changed; the results on the field are the same. I’ll always be a Cardinals fan but I’ll always hate the way the Bidwills cripple this team.

69. By brad oneill on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

this team is losing, but they are barely losing, yes it suck, it hurts, if frustrates but it is not a lack of effort.

this team is so close to being a freaking contender it makes me sick, there will be a day when they turn the corner and i want to still be here when they do.

i am not going to lie, I have nearly given up on this team, this coach, but when i look back and remember that they did everything I could expect in the offseason except for keeping steve breaston, I have to give them just a little more time.

They used to just let all the talent go, now they are keeping key pieces and making moves to improve, we can’t expect perfection and yes they break my freaking heart more often than not, but as long as I believe they are trying I will keep cheering. Ownership coaches and players are still trying.

70. By walter nowotny on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I hope that all those people who are wasting their money to see this pathetic team pay their mortgages,have their IRA’s fully financed and are contributing to their kids college funds. Otherwise you are even bigger losers that this sorry excuse for a football team

71. By fightingbird on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I read these comments and most are insane, if you are a true and I mean true fan of the Cardinals stick it out with whiz and his team and if you cant theres other teams out there that you can go for. Im a true fan and Im proud to say it and show it . I watch the team every weekend and yes I get up set but Im right in there fighting with them and I know that every Cardinal that straps his gear on and takes the field are giving 100% they dont no what quit is so stop bad mouthing the team and start being the true fan they need , remember “WE DO THIS TOGETHER” now get you some !!!!!!!

72. By tim on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

What do the AZ Cardinals and a possum have in common? Both play dead at home and get killed on the road.

73. By fightingbird on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Thanks SuperBird you’re right on the money.

74. By azlongboarding on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

i will support my team to the death!!!! let’s go kick some ram ass!!!! i’ll be there rooting them on!!!

75. By cardfancolorado on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Man a lot people sound like the hapless fair weather bronco people out here, they screamed for tebow put billboards up and look where that got them?? After the bronco loss all the fair weather (same) fans were saying tebow sucks amazing, and people are asking for skelton to play and for whizzes head, same thing happened here over here in Denver the last two years and look where they are now. I understand the frustration, sitting up here watching the game on Sundays and seeing the cards blow leads or not even be in the game, it is hard but do realize we are REBUILDING yes it may take a couple of bad years, but I feel like something is on the horizon. STOP ACTING LIKE THE CRY BABY ELWAY LOVIN BRONCO WANNA-BE

76. By Christo on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

@Fightingbird . . a true fan would hold Whiz and every player accountable. Whiz has dismantled a Super Bowl team to this. Fitzgerald caught a lousy 19 passes in October, Steve Breaston caught 16 . . the guy they let Breaston walk for Andre Roberts has 4. Who takes the heat for that? Kolb?

Kolb the guy running for his life every play because Whiz’ bust of a 1RD draft pick can’t do his job? Or because Whiz’ buddy Grimm can’t get the line to be even average?

Somebody has to step up and be held to account.

77. By cardsalltheway on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

cardfancolorado,
    Look at the Bengals, they were left without a QB because theirs quite on them. What did they do about it? They knew how to evaluate talent and are now sitting at 5 – 2. I could go on but I don’t think you’ll get it.

78. By Scott H on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Christo -

I agree with you 100%. Someone needs to be held accountable for this. As I already stated, beating the Rams does absolutely nothing for me. We beat the Rams and ALL we do is beat another lousy team to avoind being in sole possession of last place in the division. Not exactly a reason for dancing in the streets, is it?

Yet, if this lousy Rams team comes into our home and hands us another loss? Then as far as I’m concerned, the head coach should be fired the next day. If that does NOT happen, then there is no accountability here.

79. By wsphxcardsfan on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

@FanSinceLomax:

Go take your holier-than-thou speech back to St. Louis. I’m not buying it. Cardinal fans have been reluctantly supporting this organization, which was, until just recently, ranked as one of the absolute worst in all of SPORTS. That’s why there exists that rotten moniker, “same-old-Cardinals.” However, Cardinal fans still emerged from the shadows to support the team once they felt even a miniscule of confidence that the Bidwells had indeed changed their ways and have been selling out games consistently since the onset of the UoP era.

Are you that naive to expect fans to have blind faith in the Bidwells and not protest when we fear we may be witnessing a reemergence of the “Same-old-Cardindals?”

We are not the Cowboys with five Super Bowl rings who can afford to take a decade off, so your comparison is completely off the mark. Until we see a consistent effort of winning here, the fans are absolutely right to protest and keep pressure on the organization to put together a winning team.

PS I’ve been a die-hard AZ Cardinals fan since day 1.

80. By UC on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

@brad oneill-

“…they did everything I could expect in the offseason except for keeping steve breaston…”

* And for not keeping THT
    * And for not keeping DRC
    * And for not keeping Ben Graham
    * And for not keeping Alan Branch, who rarely gets credit for his significant improvement the last 1 1/2 seasons he was a Card
    * And don’t forget not keeping Leinart the season before, which cost them their third title in a row, which they would have won by default in the worst division in the league having it’s worst year in the history of the league
    * And don’t forget them lowballing Warner the season before that, causing him to interview with the 49ers

So, reality doesn’t really reflect that they’ve begun holding on to key pieces. Sure, Kenny’s favorites get nice contract extensions, but Kenny’s list of favorites doesn’t seem to be all that long. I don’t hold Dansby and Rolle against them, the Cards shouldn’t have even tried to match the insane offers those two received. And I don’t care how good Kolb might turn out to be, no one trades a very young Pro Bowl cornerback AND a high draft pick for an unproven quarterback. Doing something like that smacks of desperation, EVEN IF Kolb does turn out to live up to expectations. That trade was simply an indicator of unsound management style, something the Cards have a long history of displaying.

81. By Jahstone on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Pathetic Franchises that have stopped their losing ways…

- Indianapolis Colts
    - Tampa Bay Bucs
    - New Orleans Saints

also…Dallas Mavericks

They were horrible forever, but found a way to change the chemistry going forward. They have all won championships since 2000, and still have it in them (except the Colts this year)

BIDWELL – CHANGE THE CHEMISTRY!!!!!! Get a clue or perhaps that Stadium ends up on wheels going West on I-10!!!!!!!!

82. By clssylssy on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Thank you Mary…at last the voice of a fan! In Kansas City, Season Tickets are fought over in the will and fans pack the stands, win or lose, in subzero weather, sleet, rain,snow or sweltering heat. When I came to the valley I was in football culture shock at Sun Devil stadium where there was no tailgaining, no cheering by fans, and little interest in the game. Cards fans have tunnel vision and if they were to look around the league they would see there are other teams in the same or worse shape that we are but their fans stay loyal and supportive. People are not having a gun held to their heads to buy tickets and can sell them if they are that unhappy…don’t renew, simple as that! Purchasing a ticket does not qualify or entitle anyone to disrespect, deskill or devalue our players and coaches. Go on…you won’t be missed…nobody is irreplaceable, including you!

83. By Scott H on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

clssylssy -

Forgive me if I refuse to look around the league at all the other teams who are in the same or worse shape as we are. With all due respect, that is a loser’s mentality. As a long time fan of this team, I’ve spent a couple of decades subscribing to that way of thinking. And you suggest that we continue to do so? Absolutely not. To accept the loser’s mentality is to accept losing. Knock yourself out if that works for you.

I prefer to look around the league and notice the teams who are winning and having success. That says to me that there is obviously a better way of doing things than the way it is done here. I want my team to subscribe to THAT kind of thinking – not justifying their lack of success as OK because other teams are just as bad or worse.

I just do NOT get your way of thinking at all. If this team ends the season with a 3-13 record ( entirely possible at this point ), are you going to suggest that we feel good about ourselves because one or two other teams were 2-14???

84. By clssylssy on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Scott H,,,acknowledged, you DO NOT UNDERSTAND where I’m coming from at all!
    I have never said that we should feel good about our disappointing season however, on the POSITIVE side I do believe that we can learn from our failures and GROW. A few weeks the Chiefs were at the bottom of their division but their fans did not give up on them and all those “false starts” the Chargers had were due to fan noise…they remained loud, proud, and SUPPORTIVE. They have endured many disappointing seasons without abandoning ship, same can be said for the Saints, Rams, Cowboys, Redskins, etc. I believe you said it right in not wanting to take a look around at the reality of this season. Like many others, you take delight in all that is negative and can only devalue, deskill and criticize our Cards. You are a “half empty” mentality and accuse me of having a “loser mentality.” We made a heroic effort against the Ravens in their house…a team of seasoned greats and future HOFs against our team of mostly rookies…I don’t see the shame in that…nor did more qualified sports analysts than you!

85. By Scott H on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

clssylssy -

First, there is much to criticize right now. I don’t even think that is a matter of just focusing on the negative. The team is 1-6 and is losing games they don’t have to be losing. Ya know…you can try to claim that the sky isn’t really blue. But the sky IS blue and you’re just going to look foolish for saying that it isn’t.

BTW, the Chiefs comparison is not a very good one. Yes, they lost 3 straight to start the season. However, they have now won 4 in a row and are on top of their division. Do ya think that might have something to do with why their fans are hanging in there and staying positive?

And WHERE do you get off suggesting that these other teams have such great fans who never give up when the fans of THIS team continue to sell out our stadium every week, every year??? Sounds to me like you look at the fans everywhere and find that they are better than they are here. Nice attitude. Maybe YOU are the one who is finding negatives everywhere you look.

You, too, are quite selective in what you see and hear. Because if you saw and heard everything, you would see and hear that fans of winning teams also boo their teams when they are not performing well. And do you know why? BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT FANS DO!!! My gosh, what planet are you from??? The word FAN is short for FANATIC. Fans are reactionary passionate, live-in -the-moment people. Fans are not rational.

But fans also stick by their teams over time, no matter what. I’ve been a fan of this team since they were in St Louis and I was 9 years old. And I just turned 46. I’ve endured more losing seasons that fans of any of those other teams you mention. And I’m still here, still passionate, still living in the moments but still here regardless. So, I don’t need you to tell me what a fan should be.

2. Nov 1, 2011: Hope for Kevin Kolb? A striking comparison | pokemonsilverrom.com