• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

With Sherman ailing, Cards bring back Maui’a

Posted by Darren Urban on November 1, 2011 – 5:06 pm

After rookie fullback Anthony Sherman went down early in Baltimore with a left ankle injury, the Cards were in a bind since they only had one fullback on the roster. Tight end Jim Dray was forced to play the position and it hampered the Cards’ use of certain packages. That was rectified Tuesday when the Cards went out and brought back fullback Reagan Maui’a, showing that Sherman is likely going to be on the shelf short-term.

To make room for Maui’a, the Cardinals waived defensive end Ronald Talley, although they signed Talley back to the practice squad and released defensive lineman Ricky Lumpkin to do so.

Maui’a actually played pretty well in the preseason, although Sherman’s play was also solid and he was also a draft pick. The Cards hope Maui’a can pick up where he left off — although will he reunite with running back Beanie Wells for any talent shows? Only time will tell.

Tags: , , , ,

37 Responses to “With Sherman ailing, Cards bring back Maui’a”

1. By cards62 on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I like both Maui’a and Sherman and was hoping we could find a way to keep both guys on our roster. Glad to see Maui is available and wish him the best.

Go Cards beat the Rams!

2. By Phoenixraven1 on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Doesn’t he have a substance abuse suspension on hold?

3. By Christo on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

SUPERBOWL !!!

4. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I’m pretty sure I’ve posted this before, but watch Reagan bust through 1 inch drywall like it was Ray Lewis:

5. By Darren Urban on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Phoenixraven1 -

RE: suspension

The suspension is served, I believe, whether or not he is on a roster.

6. By Peter in Canada on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Too bad about Sherman. I am very impressed with him and I think he was under utilized. He was more than the usual blocking machine for he shows good athletic ability. He has good hands and I believe he could be used to run the ball occasionally. Nothing against Maui’a but Sherman has more weapons. Hope he gets better soon

7. By wnycardfan on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Christo -
    Thanks for the laugh. I’m browsing the comments and see your’s and started laughing my rear off.

8. By Ernie on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

He is a better blocker and will open holes better.

9. By TucsonTim on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

It would be a great story to know how these guys stay ready. I’ve seen Maul’a blow up more than a few guys. Glad to see him back.

10. By TucsonTim on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Just read the twitter about Kolb’s “turf toe”. Yes it should have a better name. It’s a very serious injury.

11. By azcardinalfan on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

this is off topic but bow that you mentioned the practice squad.
    is quan sturdivant in it

12. By Ernie on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Oh by the way he has NO substance abuse problem….And he has paid his dues…..

13. By Scott H on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Hate to say it, but…even guys on the waiver wire probably don’t want to see the name “Cardinals” come up on their caller ID these days…

14. By Darren Urban on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

TucsonTim -

RE: story idea

That is a good idea. I will do it sometime in the next couple of weeks.

15. By georgiebird on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Any port in a storm (in getting the new/old FB)
    Why is the oft injured Jim Dray on the roster if he can’t play two positions? If Dray is that good a TE, he should be playing ahead of rookie Housler, King and Heap.
    But when someone offers the excuse that when Sherman went down a whole package of plays had to be scrapped-that’s idiotic. I’d rather have a backup FB than a 3rd string TE. Now if the Cardinals could cope with the loss of Sherman without excuses, then the 3rd TE is another gamble that just.didn’t work out.
    Question for the group- “If the OL is so bad and Kolb isn’t scaring the defense, how is an injured Beanie still gaining 4.5 yds per carry.” I think the OL is the best unit on the team and the guys stay relatively healthy. Now I’m not saying the OL is great- just that it’s the best unit on this team. And don’t tell me that one great (but not explosive) WR makes for a good WR unit.

16. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Didn’t know Mauia has a one game suspension. Was the Clark Haggan’s possible personal misconduct ever settled or described?

17. By georgiebird on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Who’s better: Maui’a or Sherman???
    Who’s better: Kolb, Leinart, Tim Tebow or Derek Anderson???
    Who’s better Norv Turner, Whiz, Denny Green or Mike Singletary???
    Who’s better: the AZ Cardinals, Miami Dolphins, Indy Colts or Rams ???
    You’re as good as the company you keep!

18. By TucsonTim on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

Another stupid question. Do you think Alfonso Smith will get any more carries. I’m just curious as to why he isn’t getting any more. Don’t get me wrong, Beanie has done a fantastic job, but if he’s hurt Alfonso is almost as big and seems a little quicker. Just asking.

19. By Chuck 1 on Nov 1, 2011 | Reply

I feel compelled to respond to some comments on a couple of earlier threads.

It’s sad that so many fans are eager to accept the dismal performance of the organization (notice that I wrote “organization”; to include the Bidwills, Graves, Keim, the Scouting Department, coaching staff and the players).

As long as you continue to embrace poor performance, that’s exactly what you’ll get.

3-13 this season. If there are similar personnel decisions next year, 6-10 (with luck; no not Andrew Luck).

After 2012, Whiz and his coaches will be gone.

20. By Earl BB on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

This is the same old joke of a team and its clear that no kurt warner or todd haley and we are the same suck team that year, remember you so called Cards fans our defense was not that good in that SB run either ask Santonio Holmes we couldnt stop a turtle, Dansby was over rated and we never put real pressure on the opposing QB so all this means is coach sucks and players out side of Fitz and Wells and Washington.
    Dont think I forgot i will keep saying what I have been saying the seats will be starting to empty starting this sunday, unless the owners want to lose alot of revenue the rest of this season YOU BETTER GET T.O. TO FILL THE SEATS, IF ANYTHING THATS WHAT HE WILL DO, WHO CARES ABOUT THE REST OF THIS SEASON, NOT GOING TO PLAYOFFS MAYNOT WIN 3 GAMES, SO LET T.O. FINISH THE SEASON AND PROVE THAT FITZ COULD USE HIM.

21. By UC on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Wow TucsonTim, I didn’t know it was that serious. Thanks for mentioning it.

If anyone wants to read about turf toe, you can here:

22. By shannon robinson on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the pic of Reagan doing his Haka. I’ve always advocated for the Polynesians amongst us, they bring a bigger than life presence with a mean streak which every team needs (they grew up too close to the volcanos). Deuce would be my other change right now only looking for an edge. Those of us who’d like to see John Skelton get a shot can join me in being “Kolbed” – you kneel down in a prominant place and grab your right big toe.

23. By Darren Urban on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Haggans

I don’t think there was ever anything to that.

24. By Darren Urban on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

TucsonTim –

RE: A. Smith

To be honest, I thought he would get more work in Baltimore, even with Beanie playing. I’m not sure why he didn’t.

25. By Wampag on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

D wouldn’t it make sense to let Skelton play let Kolb heal and more importantly let him sit on the sideline with the O coach and get hands on info on each play and what should have happened?

26. By TucsonTim on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

From another site: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1236962-overview

“Although turf toe was once thought to be a low-morbidity injury, significant disability can occur with damage to the periarticular structures of the metatarsophalangeal (MTP) joint complex. Such damage often is accompanied by long- and short-term sequelae. As many as 50% of individuals with turf toe injuries have persistent symptoms after 5 years. In the short term, running and pushing off are compromised, and players frequently miss games and practices”

There’s more than you probably ever wanted to know about turf toe.

27. By Darren Urban on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Wampag –

RE: Kolb v Skelton

As I have said many times, if Kolb can play, I think he will. I think Kolb needs more real-time experience. I think he understands the theory.

28. By Darren Urban on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

TucsonTim –

RE: Turf toe info

That’s good info. Appreciate the effort.

29. By brythybo7 on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

@ Andystandup

Not to take anything away from Maui’a, because fullbacks are built like tanks, but busting through 1inch drywall, with holes riddled through it and nothing else holding it up isnt really that impressive. The stuff can easily break under its own weight (all you really wouldve had to do is lean or push on that piece and it wouldve broken) The video is more idiotic than impressive.

30. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

@ brythybo7,
    Sorry my sarcasm didn’t come through the computer screen; and it should have considering how much was dripping off my chin.
    That YouTube upload was intended to poke fun of Mauia, not be in awe of it.
    Now if he had ran into a 2×4 stud or a concrete wall on the other side – that would be a good trick and similar to how the Cards season has gone.

31. By Darren Urban on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Sarcasm

Maybe your name should come with a disclaimer for those unaware of your work.

32. By kauaicardsfan on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Cheee Huuu!!! The Hawaiian Poi Ponder is back !!!

33. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Thanks, Darren for the props.
    And for the uninitiated, I kid because I care. And right now, I’m really caring. Despite the attempts of laughing, this season hurts.

And kudos to you sir, for keeping your head, cuz you ‘d be a terrible writer without it.
    I mean, you couldn’t see your keyboard and blood would be spilling all over the place and your three point shooting would be off (though probably better arc), interviews might sound like a gurgling noise……..

34. By brad oneill on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Maui’a is a great addition, im surprised they didnt keep him although the suspension probably had a lot to do with it.

welcome back brudder man!

35. By Kdawg on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Funny video they even cut the drywall for him so it broke nice. I could do that.

36. By Mike Ellingboe on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

@Earl BB,

My memory of our defense during the SB run is quite a bit different from yours. The “D” was outstanding, especially against the run, versus three very good running teams. The pass “D” wrecked Delhomme’s career (at least as he knew it up to that point), and it took a virtually impossible throw along the sideline, into triple coverage, to finally put the dagger in their heart (which wouldn’t have mattered if the offense hadn’t gone into brainlock right before the half). That stretch of games was the last time I can really recall that side of the ball looking like an effective unit. 9-0 tied the SB sack record while being lined up at DT (not exactly an ideal rush position).

If we still had that “D” and alignment in place it’s pretty much a given that many of our losses this year (Washington, Giants, Ravens) would be wins.

37. By albert on Nov 5, 2011 | Reply

Get rid if Kolb to save our season.