• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Black shirts return Sunday

Posted by Darren Urban on November 2, 2011 – 10:04 am

It’s not a huge surprise, since NFL rules dictate that this is the last opportunity the Cardinals have to wear their alternate third jersey, but the Cardinals will wear their black uniforms for a second and final time Sunday against the Rams. New NFL guidelines say those uniforms can’t be worn after flex scheduling begins, and that starts next week. Since the Cards had only four home games with which to choose the alternate jersey — and one was against the normally-black-clad Steelers, and the other was the season opener, which seems to ask for traditional colors — that left the Giants and the Rams games.

Tags: ,

43 Responses to “Black shirts return Sunday”

1. By Chris Robot on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Should of chose the Steelers game.. maybe all the black would of confused the Steelers. Nah, probably not…

2. By Scharf on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Man! I was looking forward to having the black jersey against the Cowboys lol. Why would it matter if it were before or after the flex scheduling? I don’t really see a point in dictating when a team can wear their jerseys (as long as the maximum twice a year is still in effect).

3. By SteveDCO on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

They so need to go for black helmets as well with the red pants.

I would love to see the Bidwill’s give up on the Cardinal mascot too but we all know that just won’t ever happen.

4. By didit again on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

“These guys are giving out everything they have gotten” well, if this effort is what everything they have to lose 5 times in the row, well, they have nothing. This tells me there is a problem with the coaches to evaluate the talent and kills of their players. Darren, do you think the lossing problem is retated to their lackness of mental and physical tougness or a problem from the coaches unable to use the talent they have in their players?

5. By Darren Urban on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

didit –

RE: toughness vs talent

I don’t know. My guess is it is a little bit of both right now.

6. By staceyleah74 on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

appropriate for the mourning of our season….

7. By MIKE G on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren– Hope the black jerseys come up big!!What’s your gut??? Does Kolb go on Sunday or does this injury hold him back??

8. By Darren Urban on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Kolb

He’s pretty banged up right now.

9. By TucsonTim on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Now that would be a black jersey worth wearing.

10. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

These Cardinals should be wearing throwback jerseys from 1980s-1990s, a time where they averaged between 4-5 wins a season.

11. By riwjr on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

They are due to win both this season and in those black jerseys

12. By nodavis2000 on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

I don’t mind if Skelton starts. If turf toe is as annoying as the articles about turf toe indicate, I don’t mind Skelton starting. But, if he beats the Rams, then everybody will say, “So what??? The game was against THE RAMS!!!” So, unless Skelton throw for 500+ yds, I don’t see why people would want to put Kolb aside and insert Skelton. I think he’s good, but I only see a downside to replacing Kolb, even if he’s injured.

If we lose, then we’ll get slammed with no good QB in AZ. If we win, it’s ‘It’s the Rams excuse.’ (Even though they JUST beat the Saints.)

Out of curiosity, how BIG of a game would Skelton have to have in order to make a REAL impression on the COACHING STAFF and create a QB controversy??? (If it’s even possible with how much we’ve invested in Kolb…)

13. By Travis McCollum on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Why no all red this year. they are way better then the black

14. By georgiebird on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

You run a very fair site. The comments by most of the guys are very thoughtful and, of course, passionate. Thank you for giving us an outlet for our frustrations.
    And kudos to you for your honesty in posting the good with the bad in what has been a very difficult year.

15. By jocards on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Black, white, green, red, this team’s season is dead….. Pink, brown, yellow orange blue, it’ll kill you. Boom bam boom….drop the ball, Boom bam boom ….wrench a knee, Boom bam boom …..first and goal,…. Boom bam boom ….settle for threeeeee…..All together now. All together now. My apologies to Lennon and McCartney but the color of the jersey unfortunately doesn’t matter….Anybody that isn’t familiar with the song, don’t bother looking it up, it really is more sad than funny.

16. By CASEY on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Sweet Ill be Pimpin my black Fitz on the game!

17. By Scott H on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Black, white, red….doesn’t matter. They suck in every color!

18. By Peter in Canada on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

This third jersey is nothing more than a marketing scheme to fleece the less discerning and more passionate fans. The Cardinal tradition is red tops white pants. Black tops are the Steeler and Raider traditions. I know that we are in danger of becoming the Arizona Steeers but this is going too far.

19. By dieselbomb on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren -

Any way to count or closely approximate the number of Fan calls for a change in Coaching and/or Coaching/GM change? I’m speaking with respect to games where it was clear the Cardinals had “Come from Ahead” losses.

In other words, I’m looking to discover the number of fans who are calling for the Bidwills to bring in a new coach against the total number of fan comments submitted after each of the articles you post weekly. Tough assignment. An educated guess would do if it’s difficult to get an accurate count … (Also, is it growing?)

Diesel

20. By dieselbomb on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

I think choice of uniform ought to be in the Teams’ hands.

This sort of control from the NFL home office is bull-pucky. NFL admin has too much control. I can understand rules, refs and standards control (play surface size, condition and other related things), Stadium/venue, Emergency Medical and Crowd Control minimum standards and that sort of thing being centralized – but limit it to that.

If team appearance seems to help team morale or psyche – give it to the team to control.

This seems to be the NFL office looking for something to do …

21. By Darren Urban on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

nodavis –

RE: Skelton showing

Honestly, I don’t even know. I don’t expect it to happen.

22. By Darren Urban on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

dieselbomb –

RE: Calling for coach

I have no idea, to be honest. If I had to guesstimate, I’d guess there are probably only a total of 20-30 who regularly post here. Usually, those fans who are willing to post comments are the most vocal. I wouldn’t be surprised if most had called for a change.

23. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

0-3 so far with the Falcon lookalike shirts, can’t we try a Tiger Wood Sunday power red shirt color with white, which would signal purity for the game? (Or lately, someone can hike pants on a chain marker, indicating surrender.)

Oh wait, that’s the color scheme the Cards should be wearing.

24. By Mark Moreno on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, Do You Know If There Going To Open The Roof On Sunday,It Should Be Perfect football Temperature? :)

25. By rio on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Invisable jerseys if they lose to the Rams this week, would be best for the next game.

26. By Jason on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren, Have we ever won wearing the black jerseys? I dont think so but I could be wrong…

27. By ndpenner on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Please don’t wear the black jerseys. Oy…I was hoping for a win…

28. By cardsalltheway on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

John Skelton…Best of luck to you if given the chance you’ve long deserved and unfortunately never received the confidence most coaches would’ve given you at the start of the season. Ken W. deserves another QB controversy so please be sure to give him one!

29. By wnycardfan on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

First off, nice article on the LB’s. Liked both of their attitudes and they do sound like they will become good ones. Here’s hoping they do and they show even more progress this week and for weeks to come. I HOPE coaches play them more than they have, they deserve it, we deserve it, and the team needs it.
    Black jerseys, did they just jinx the game? I can’t remember, but haven’t they loss every game they’ve played in the black?
    I’m not looking for QB controvsery. As some have stated, Kolb needs to be in their as often as possible getting reps and TRYING to improve himself and team, esp for the $$ they paid. I do like Skelton and I hope for him and the team, if he’s put in, he does well.
    I’ve said it before, just would like to see some tangible progress, Even in a loss, something to hang our hat on. More sacks, more moxy, better Offense play, better play calling, etc….
    I know its “just the rams” but if they beat us, we’ll be considered the worst around. If we win, it won’t mean much, no doubt, but perhaps a win we can build on improving overall performance.

30. By Darren Urban on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Mark –

RE: Open roof

That’s a game day decision, but I would think it’s a possibility.

31. By Darren Urban on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Jason –

RE: Winning in black

No, they have not won in black yet. Lost to Tampa and San Francisco last year. the Giants this year.

32. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Actually Darren they’re 0-4 in the dark shirts.
    Lost to the Redskins in the preseason last year.

33. By cards123 on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Yeah like the black jersey is going to make any difference but i guess we can look good while we lose ! We will be lucky to beat the rams an if we do no one will care cause it’s the rams like it’s no big deal if other teams beat the the CARDS because we are expected to lose and if we don’t it is considered a fluke or the other team was playing bad if it was not a NFC WEST team . our coaches are the problem and makes me sick that other rookie teams and first year coaches can come in the hell at least win more the a game and we look like a bunch of chickens with our heads cut off! WE are garbage an people need to quit sugar coating our garbage team I am a season ticket holder but after this year I am going game by game cause The owners don’t give a crap if we lose as long as they keep getting paid. our team is one of the oldest teams in the NFL and all people know of the CARDS is THEY NEVER WIN ANYTHING THAT MATTERS!!!!!!!

34. By Darren Urban on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands -

RE: black shirt record

Actually, they won that preseason game. But preseason games don’t count.

35. By CNelson on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Just wanted to say i read all of the comments recenty bashing the team as well as you. And just wanted to remind you there are still Alot of people/fans who love and appreciate everything you do and all think you should get a raise for dealing with all the non-sence on a daily basis. Lol and at least 90% is from “fans” that wernt around prior to ’08 or are the same ones that would call Kurt the worst “over the hill” QB im the nfl if he didnt throw for 300 yrds and 3 touchdowns. I agreeded not to be “mean” with my comments about people but DAM they make it hard for me not to defend you and the team… IDC what n e other team is doing, we have a new QB, OC, DC, new defencive scheme, new CBs, and the list goes on,.. At 1-6 we still have the ability to go 8-8 and thats what most of us asumed we be at…

So NE Ways…. We Love ya Darren, keep ya head up and remember crap floats to the top, just because they constantly talk doesnt mean they speak for the majority, lol or minority. Opionions are like you know, everyone has one and everyone thinks everyone elses stinks!

36. By Darren Urban on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

CNelson –

RE: comments and “being nice”

God I hope everyone doesn’t think I am expecting everyone to say only kind things. That’s not what I want. I know people are upset and angry.

37. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Apologies, Darren. For some reason, I could have sworn they lost that preseason game. (Must have something to do with Hightower playing for the ‘Skins and Gary Clark playing for the Cards. Or was it Larry Centers and Vonnie Holliday?)
    Where’s my ginkgo boloba?

38. By bluepitt on Nov 2, 2011 | Reply

Well Darren you can allwayse count on me to say sumptn…lol

39. By Darren Urban on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

bluepitt –

RE: Oops

I apologize. You should have been on that list ;)

40. By Christo on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

You can see coaches approval rating is at around 25% on an ESPN poll.

We are like 3 and 17 (18 maybe) in our last 20 / 21 games. What other coach survives that run? Just terrible.

We aren’t playing smart, or tough, or disciplined.

I think the only real question for Mr. Bidwill should be is it better to do it mid season? Or at the end of the season? There is no logical reason for Whiz and Co. (Most notably Grimm and Miller) to come back next year. Maybe Miller gets a pass as they refused to bring in OLB’s for the scheme.

Also at some point somebody needs to be looking at the GM Graves for the contracts and talent that have occurred under his leadership.

41. By FanSinceLomax on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

@SteveDCO
    They can’t wear black helmets, it’s against league rules.
    It would change their Historic colors or something along those lines.
    Why do you want to get rid of the Cardinals mascot?
    The eagles have a bird mascot too you know?

42. By Scott H on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Not a fan of the black jerseys at all. They arrived at the same time this big , dark cloud that has been hanging over us since the end of the 2009 season. Maybe if they go away, so will the bad karma. Also, it’s kinda hard to like any uniform that we can only associate with bad games that we lost. Honestly….

Wore them against Tampa Bay last year…made a great comeback after being down big only to lose at the end…

Wore them against the 49ers on a Monday night and could NOT have been more of an embarassment. That game pretty much guarantees we will not be invited back to MNF for….oh, about 10, maybe 20 years…

Wore them against the Giants this year and blew a 10 point lead in the last 5 minutes.

And now we wear them against the 1-6 Rams…the worst may be yet to come.

2. Nov 4, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogFriday before the Rams «