• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Cards-Rams is a sellout; Kolb about the same

Posted by Darren Urban on November 3, 2011 – 2:00 pm

It’s official: The game Sunday at University of Phoenix Stadium when the Rams visit is a sellout, making the Cards 59-for-59 since moving into the building and assuring that the game will be broadcast on local TV. It seemed like it might be a hurdle given the Cards’ struggles, but there wasn’t even an extension needed. (You’d figure the Cards will reach 60 too, since the next home game is against the Dallas Cowboys).

Meanwhile, quarterback Kevin Kolb — who sat out practice again — remains hopeful he could still give playing a shot Sunday, although he acknowledged he will be in the same situation Friday morning, where he will see if he can even practice. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said he’s got “a ways to go.” Whisenhunt said he would “consider” playing Kolb even if he didn’t practice Friday, “especially if we needed him in a certain situation.” John Skelton warms up in the bullpen.

RB Beanie Wells was upgraded to limited Thursday, just like last week.

Tags: , , , ,

47 Responses to “Cards-Rams is a sellout; Kolb about the same”

1. By Dennis on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Too bad the game sold out. It looks like the fans are content with the losing ways and not ready to send a message to management.

2. By Jill on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Really glad to see the sellout streak intact. Show that fans are not bailing on the team despite the disappointment of the season this year. Going to get better!

3. By Sabot on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Good thinking Dennis. Maybe management will get down there and start protecting the QB, ya dope.

4. By Wonderingwhy on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Yikes, Kolb perfectly healthy can’t complete throws to wide open receivers how is he going to do it with “turf Toe”…….? All I know is we need to win a game for god sakes. Please beat the rams!

5. By georgiebird on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Whiz and Kolb must be desperate to get in to this game against the Rams. I don’t want to see a player get injured but if Kolb insists on playing when he’s not 100%, then it might be better if he aggravates his “turf toe” and doesn’t play the rest of the year.
    Just like Denny Green became infamous for starting Shawn King over a winning Josh McCown, so too will Whiz be known as the guy who gave away the ranch for Kevin Kolb.

6. By Phoenixraven1 on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Man what a bummer of a time to get injured. We need a full season without excuses to see if Ed really a bust…Skelton will probably light it up and now we will have controversy! Love theNFL!

7. By Procen on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

What is your assessment of Skelton? This is his second years and he should have some experience. I like both Skelton and Bartel, both are not bad QB they just need experience. What you say on this?

8. By Brandon LA on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Good idea we should just make Skelton the closer. That’ll help finish games.

9. By pipapiko on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

The game this weekend is not a sell-out! Please stop posting false articles! Too bad for Larry he extended withe Cardz. B/c he will never see the superbowl again unless! I advise any Cardz players up this year to leave and never comeback!

10. By BIG AL on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

IF THEY CAN’T BEAT THE RAMS THEN THEY NEED TO TAKE UP PING PONG I KNOW LARRY AND BEANIE ARE MAD AND WANT TO SLAP SOME PLAYERS BECAUSE THEY DON’T PARTICIPATE

11. By Darren Urban on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Procen –

RE: Skelton

So hard to tell. Still seems pretty raw to me. I hope expectations from some, if he plays Sunday, aren’t out of whack.

12. By SteveDCO on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Glad to see the fans in Phoenix aren’t as fair weather as the fans who prowl this forum.

Fans not showing up to games doesn’t cause ownership to change their ways, it causes them to move cities.

It has not been perfect but seems the Bidwill’s are more willing to spend money since moving to UoP Stadium.

Really hope Kolb is able to go and get some cofidence back against the Rams.

13. By Scharf on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

I wish people like pipapiko would leave and never come back…

14. By Dylan on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

Just a question.. So if skelton plays sunday and lets say he lights it up and beats the ram pretty good what happens then do you go back to starting kolb or keep skelton as the starter?

15. By CNelson on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

We realy need a like and dislike button. Any chance you can ask about that for us? Thanks

“Like” – I second that notion!

16. By CNelson on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

I know youve wrote a few things on R. Willams, but ive been wondering about how Greg Toller is doing. Would appreciate an update when u get some free time, Thanks

17. By drummer-1 on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

@ Scharf…

I agree with you, let’s put Dennis in that also..

18. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Skelton is intriguing to me. Like the size, the arm, the mobility but the lack of overall experience, questionable intelligence (I know he went to Fordham, but he IS a football player.) and the Mr. Ed teeth scares me. Hey Darren, have you ever seen that Sports Science special when his arm and eye coordination were just like “The Six Million Dollar Man” without the sound effects?

And like many others on this thread, I don’t like paprika, either.
    A little is okay, but too much paprika can really ruin the flavor.

19. By Christo on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Hopefully half of them will show up with bags on their head!

Pathetic, just giving the FO a free pass at sending out the same crappy product year after year. Lest we forget this franchise has now been mediocre to this in the past 4 years.

Pretty sure we are 3 and 18 our last 21. Crazy !! San Diego fired their coach after going 14 and 2 . . . different bar, different standard to live up to.

20. By Mikeflorio on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Just sold my 5 tixs to a Ram fan so I hope he enjoys them!!!

21. By Dalton Gang on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

I like the title to this post. I read it fast the first time and thought Darren was busting Kolb’s chops. ” Cards-Rams Sellout, Kolb about the same. Hah guess I might just be mad a Kolb.

22. By againstthegrain on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

i say we let “the skeleton” out of the closet.

23. By Darren Urban on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Dylan -

RE: QB switch

I don’t see that happening. But regardless, Kolb will go back in, I would guess.

24. By Darren Urban on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Christo -

RE: comparisons

Be upset if you want, but really, randomly throwing out the Schottenheimer firing like it was anything normal is ridiculous. It’s not even apples and oranges. It’s apples and car parts. Try some research.

25. By Chuck 1 on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

At some point, sooner or later, the gravy train (for the Bidwills) will run off the tracks i.e. the sellouts will cease because many fans will tire of the poor performance of the team i.e. continuous sub-.500 seasons.

At that point, the Bidwills will (hopefully) wake up and make changes in personnel (or leave for greener pastures???).

Accepting poor performance from a team, in this case the Cards, is like staying in an abusive relationship.

26. By outlaws40 on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Talk about what is being done to win! Please NEVER POST again about a sellout until we win again!!!!

27. By suspence716 on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Andy-
    I saw that sports science on skelton, I believe it was right before the draft. It was pretty cool, showed that skelton was pretty quick and accurate with the football. I hope so cuz with our o-line he’ll need a quick release!

28. By John Rennecamp on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Darren, a lot of fans are calling for Whiz to be fired. Is there any legitimate (meaning within the organization)buzz about that?? I think it would be a huge mistake.

Oh, to the cynics: selling out games doesn’t equate to complacency it just means the fans support the team and are loyal fans – many people have claimed to have given up on the Cards but still watch every play and read every article written about the team.

29. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

When are the Cardinals going to bring rodgers-cromartie back

30. By cardsalltheway on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Ken W. didn’t jive with Matt Leinart(suddenly) and Kevin Kolb doesn’t jive with Ken W. and Co./Cardinal team. Thankfully someone else(John Skelton) will be given another chance. I’m sick and tired of the excuses, let’s move on, come on Skelton!
    11/6 4:15 ET At Arizona -2.5 St. Louis 41½o/u
    I’d like to take the Cardinals, but I NEVER go with your heart.

31. By TJD125 on Nov 3, 2011 | Reply

Fans, if you can call them that, that would even consider selling their tickets to the opposing team’s fans is ludacris. Real fans support their team through everything, honestly some fo you guys make me sick. The team needs fans who stick with them and suport them!

Go Cards, things will get better!!!

32. By bluepitt on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Old johnney boy will do well, Why you ask?
    He is huge, and it will take more than one rusher to take him down…kinda like Big Ben……Just watch, he will stand in their and try and deliver (I say try because he hasent played in 4ever) I think we need a break from the Ken & Kolb show!!!!!!!!!

33. By Christo on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Not sure what you mean by some research? The Chargers won 14 games and fired their HC. That is a fact. The Cardinals are 3 and 15 in their last 18. We were mediocre before that, in a weak division, with a HOF QB. The Chargers were competitive.

At the minimum it should be fair to say the just like Schott couldn’t get them over the hump, neither can Whiz. Who refuses to adapt.

34. By Paul on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Cards 0
    Rams 0

35. By Jeff Gollin on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

I’m glad there’s a sell-out. The last thing the team needs right now is the distraction of Phoenix being labeled a “lousy football town full of fair weather fans.”

36. By John the Draft Guy on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

To all the Cards fans;
    Why go to the game?
    A few years ago, the Redskins started 7-1 only to finish 8-8. The Giants had a 5-0 start to finish 8-8. And it seems every year the Chargers have a losing record only to come back and win the division. There are many examples of miracles including the Braves and Red Sox in baseball this year.

Miracles do happen. OK. Maybe there is a 1 in a million chance for the cards to save the season, but in the words of Jim Carey “so your saying there’s a chance”

Being a cardinal fan, you already have a screw loose. Why else would I drag myself into 115 degree weather to sit on cement bleachers at SD stadium and cheer on Stan Gelbaugh, Timm Rosenbaugh, or a 100 year old Dave Kraig? Why would you pay good money to have the other teams taunt you as you suffer through another 4-12 year?
    Why? Cuz you believe in miracles.
    You believe a skinny ASU QB could go in to Dallas and Beat the Dallas Trio. You believe a washed up , fumbling QB could take us to the superbowl.

Trust me. There is no logic to being a card fan. It’s easy to root for a front runner. I’m a patriot fan or laker fan or Red Sox and Yankee fan. But to be a card fan, you just aren’t right in the head. Sure, the front office blows the draft year after year. Sure, it was beyond logic why we haven’t drafted a offensive lineman in 3 years. Sure, we have no pass rush and our corners can’t cover. Believe me, I get it and have voiced it many times. And I’ll continue to complain about the mistakes the cards make.

But, Teams have collapsed and others have risen from the ashes. Remember the worst playoff team ever in 2008? People said they shouldn’t even be in the playoffs. The Falcons, panthers, and eagles were favored. But miracles happen.

I watched the DBacks pull out win after win in the 9th inning. They have that never say die attitude. So I guess what I’m saying is, its not over till its over. So, show up at the game, get loud and pray for a miracle second half. Because, even a million in one longshot hits every now and then.

I’m not a glass half full guy. I know there are only a couple of drops left in the cup. But I don’t quit till it is completely empty. Keep the sellouts going.

37. By pipapiko on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

I wish ppl like Scharf and drummer 1 would leave and never comeback! Stop crying, I bet you both are bandwagon fans. Just enjoy the ride LOSERS! Go 49ers!

38. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

outlaws40 –

RE: Sellouts

Tell you what: If you don’t want information about the team, you need to go elsewhere.

39. By nodavis2000 on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

@ Dalton Gang,

I totally thought Darren was dissing Kolb too, when I read the title. If someone isn’t fully aware of Kolb’s injury OR that Darren makes multiple posts about injuries during the week, it does seem like Kolb is being called a sellout. LOL

40. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

John Rennecamp –

RE: Whisenhunt future

No, there isn’t any “buzz” about that right now.

41. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Christo –

RE: Chargers change

You made a reference to “higher standards.” The reason the Chargers changed coaches that season was a rift between Schottenheimer and GM A.J. Smith, plain and simple. If they had had a good relationship, there wouldn’t have been a change. Again, two completely different situations. Again, criticism is fair for Whiz based on the past two seasons. But if you insist on making a comparison here, part of Marty’s issues was that he never got any of his teams over the hump and into a Super Bowl, and obviously, Whiz has.

42. By Peter in Canada on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Darren – You describe Skelton as raw. Would you not describe Kolb as raw especially with regards to the system he is operating in?

If you think Skelton is raw but has talent how would you describe Dalton and Newton who have had reasonable success?

I am not trying to be difficult but trying to find out why you think Skelton can not have some success if he plays on Sunday. Thanx.

43. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Peter in Canada –

RE: “Raw”

I am not saying he cannot have success Sunday. I am saying the odds against this game in which he blows away the Rams — who did sack Drew Brees 6 times last week — and takes this job from Kolb seems unlikely. While there is a part of Kolb that is raw compared to his new system, it’s not the same as Skelton, who barely practiced last regular season until the Hall injury and who prepped at Fordham. That’s why Newton and Dalton have a leg up. And let’s also be clear on another point: There is a reason John was a fifth round pick and Newton, for instance, was No. 1.

44. By Sarah on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Skelton please, I view him as an upgrade to Kolb who is really just part of a PR machine and the press hyped him in the off season as a ” veteran ” . Our record speaks for itself 1-6 and season is a bust, seriously what do we have to lose in developing talent for next year ? Kolb can get it together as well, his red zone is horrendous. We got 3 Texans at Quarterback and one stands out head and shoulders about the others literally !

45. By Bill L on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

no matt, no drc, no 2nd rounder, lost season last year, another this year….. and what do we have to show whiz, kolb, and a 5th round qb…….now, there is some good decision making at work…….do you have to be incompetent to get hired by the cards, or just to keep your job?

46. By Carl on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

I would love to know how this wound up selling out. I thought for sure the stadium would be empty. Maybe the fans are there to cheer for a loss so we can get Luck. I hope I hear plenty of suck for luck chants while watching this on TV.

47. By cardsalltheway on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

On firing Ken W., “No, there isn’t any “buzz” about that right now.”
    How about a Humm?

“…and takes this job from Kolb seems unlikely. While there is a part of Kolb that is raw compared to his new system, it’s not the same as Skelton, who barely practiced last regular season until the Hall injury and who prepped at Fordham. That’s why Newton and Dalton have a leg up. And let’s also be clear on another point: There is a reason John was a fifth round pick and Newton, for instance, was No. 1.”

Wow, just wow! Where should I begin? I won’t, instead I’ll just end by asking…Why weren’t you “clear” last year about Max Hall’s non-drafted status compared to John Skelton ~ fifth round pick? Skelton just can’t win in your book(and Ken W.’s) aye? He’s like a neglected middle child.