Kolb doubtful for Rams, four others out

Posted by Darren Urban on November 4, 2011 – 1:09 pm

Quarterback Kevin Kolb didn’t practice for a third straight day because of his turf toe, and has been officially listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game against the Rams. The way he has limped around, that isn’t really a surprise. The door is still cracked — backup QB John Skelton said “As far as I heard, Kevin is still a possibility” — but if Skelton doesn’t start Sunday, it’s an upset.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt again talked about Kolb’s need to be able to push off the right foot, because it would impact his throws. Kolb’s inability to practice points to how difficult that would have been all week.

It’s a laundry list of players already unable to play Sunday, the longest list the Cards have had all season, and that doesn’t even include Kolb. Safety Kerry Rhodes (foot) is of course still out after surgery (he said on his Big Red Rage radio show last night his cast is scheduled to come off a week from today), but also out are linebacker Joey Porter (who has a chronic knee problem), tight end Rob Housler (groin) and fullback Anthony Sherman (ankle).

It stands to reason Sam Acho will get another start at linebacker in place of Porter. Housler is out but the Cards are hoping Todd Heap can finally play again. And the Cards of course signed Reagan Maui’a at fullback to replace Sherman.

For the Rams, there seems to be a small chance QB Sam Bradford (ankle) plays. He is listed as questionable and probably is a game-day decision.

The Cards have five others questionable, including running back Beanie Wells and tight end Todd Heap. Wells, after last week, I would expect to play. Heap is probably a game-day pick again.

Tags: , , , ,

39 Responses to “Kolb doubtful for Rams, four others out”

1. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Is it Porter’s padded knee problem (patellar lackofpressuritis) or lack of pressure problem keeping off the knee pads?

2. By We Missed Q on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

So I guess all the fools yearing for Skelton will get their wish. Problem is he is less moblie and Kolb has avoided at least 10 sacks with his legs already. I hope they have the trainers ready.

3. By natyeo on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, just thought I’d point out that in the photos of week 8, one of them is labelled incorrectly. It’s called ‘Fitz greets a Ravens DB’ but that is Ray Rice.

4. By David C. on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Are you starting to sense that the team is beginning to tune out Whiz and his message? He often points to “execution” as to why we’re struggling, and I agree with that assessment.

David C.

5. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

David C —

RE: Message

No, I don’t sense that, although I’m not in the meeting rooms.

6. By Sarah on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Hip hip hooray we get Skelton, we need to develop this guy as he is the future. Kolb is a bust so far and ridiculously expensive. He has a stronger arm, more mobility and bigger, let’s give him the experience to develop into a top rate quarterback. John Skelton has way more upside and the fans are behind his progress.

7. By Andy M on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

This will be interesting: two weak, under-achieving teams with dinged first-team quarterbacks. Skelton will get pressure and surely there will be timing issues with his receivers. For his sake and the Cardinals, I hope he performs well enough to create a controversy–enough to light a fire under Kolb. Let’s go Cards!

8. By John S on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Very very glad to see Skelton get a chance to play. It takes injuries to force this stubborn coach to try something different. It’s pointless to even care or want them to win any more this season but watching the game will sure be more interesting without the same predictable 3-and-out go no where offensive series’ with Kolb.

9. By NJAZCardsFan on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Darren- I will feel sorry for you if Skelton or Bartel beat the Rams.

Let the Cards QB controversy begin…… Personally, I would
    like to see Skelton or Bartel do well and win.

10. By TucsonTim on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Training Camp, I’d send Kolb a copy of this book as a get well gift if I could…hint ,hint, Darren.

“I loved reading this book. Jon and I agree that one should not only strive for excellence on the field but also make greatness a life mission. I believe every coach, player, individual, organization and team who wants to be their best should read and benefit from this book.”

-Mike Smith, Head Coach, The Atlanta Falcons

11. By Leslie on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Going to the game Sunday because Skelton will probably start. Also wearing my black DRC jersey. I hope Skelton gets the win. Go Skelton!!!!

12. By Wonderingwhy on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

I think Skelton has the advantage here. He has been in the system alot longer than Kolb. Kolb was taught the philly way and Skelton only knows the cardinal way. It’s going to be interesting to see if Skelton does well what Whiz will do?

13. By Rod Clifford on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Cardinals has been my teem for many years. I remember when Hart was our QB. I think Kolb is a good QB and he will be good for the team. I think all teams go through rebuilding and that is what the Cards are doing. We lost some good players, but we also have some good players for replacements. We will have a winning season next year.

14. By Mike Ellingboe on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

@Sarah,

John Skelton has way more upside and the fans are behind his progress

For now. The back-up QB is always the most popular player on a struggling team. We’ll see how much the “fans” are behind his progress if he continues our losing streak.

15. By Craig on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

I can’t wait to see Skelton play again. After showing his raw talent last season and having a off season to digest it, the guy is ready. He is calm and confident, has a big arm and doesn’t need great timing to zip the ball to his receivers. John is big and can handle pressure. Wish we would have started the season with Skelton and spent the money on a O-line. We would be in much better shape.

16. By AL on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

To you people calling Kolb a ‘bust':

Saying that is not going to make him go away any quicker. Him not being able to practice or play is only another set-back in his development making this whole process even longer. If Skelton gets a win (against a poor team as well) the best case for Skelton is he stays at the back-up QB. There’s too much time and money invested in kolb for the coaching staff to allow any sort of ‘controversy’ to un-fold.

17. By Austin on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

I’m not sure why so many people think Whiz is stubborn with switching QB’s. Isn’t he the coach who had 4 different starters at QB last year including the preseason. Not so sure I would consider that stubborn. I think Kolb can develop into a great QB, however I feel the same way about Skelton. I am excited to see him get some live action. GO CARDS!!!!!

18. By Tucsonaaron on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Until we get a QB with the toughness of Kurt Warner this team will not win. If you look at the super bowl season and the season after we had same O-line problems the difference being that Kurt would stand there get the ball out fast and take the hit which is what Kolb is not doing. Kolb sees the rush and wants to bail Kurt just kept looking downfield for the quick dump pass. Maybe Kolb can do it some time but we just dont know. We truly need to address the tackle spots because most teams seem to beat us on the outside. Defense i think has played pretty well considering the sputtering offense. They have been the ones to keep these games close(barring Minnesota which was still pretty offense related with the TO’s) . Any thoughts on this Darren?

19. By Peter in Canada on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Rod Clifford – I hate to tell you this but I remember when Lamarr McHan was the QB. And under him the Cards were worse than they are now.

20. By cardfancolorado on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Well everyone wanted Skelton yes he has a big arm but what he lacks is checking off and trying to look for another receiver just like kolb always looking for fitz hopefully skelton has progressed

21. By This Guy on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Ya I’m pretty sure most of kolbs sacks came from happy feet syndrome & his inability to move up in the pocket. I have a very good feeling we will win this week

22. By Christo on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Exactly AL, there is no chance at a controversy. If Skelton comes in and throws for 400 yards it doesn’t matter. It’s against a 1 and 6 team that has lost it’s 3 CB’s this year.

Kolb will play again when healthy. Kolb has this year and next at a minimum.

23. By clssylssy on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Wow…with everyone out injured it will be a test of how well Graves recruited and our depth. I like Skelton but don’t like Porter and Rhodes being out. This almost sounds like the groundwork being laid to excuse a possible loss to the Rams. Sure hope the team that showed up to play the Ravens will be with us on Sunday!. GO CARDS! FLY HIGH…WE CAN DO IT!

24. By rio on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

SKELTON IS THE BEST QB ON THIS TEAM I HAVE SAID IT ALL ALONG, BUT EVERYONE WAS SAYING WE NEED A QB THIS YEAR SO THEY WENT OUT AND FOUND KOLB, IT WAS UNDER PRESSURE FROM THE FANS WHO ARE MOSTLY MORONS.

SUNDAY YOU WILL SEE WHAT A TRUE POCKET PASSER CAN DO, WHEN IN TROUBLE HE WILL STEP UP IN THE POCKET AND KEEP HIS EYES DOWNFIELD.

25. By cardsalltheway on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

“Laundry List”
    It shouldn’t surprise anyone that of those players out(Kerry Rhodes-foot, Joey Porter-chronic knee problem, Rob Housler-groin, and Anthony Sherman-ankle), the only one we’ll miss is Rhodes.

26. By brad oneill on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

i am with njazcrads fan. if skelton wins which i really hope he does, Darrens job is going to be very frustrating. If skelton manages to win two in a row things will really be rough on the teams public relations guy. ha ha ha.

Personally I don’t think our losses are on Kolb, as much as the defense, we keep barely losing and every game we play it seems the opposing offense finds their rhythm and pounds us. We can’t disrupt anyone consistently and 3rd and forever almost seem like gimmes.

27. By BIG RED on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Hey We miss Q, your really an idiot we’ll see who the real fool is. Kolb is just a wanna be QB with no talent at all. Last time I saw the Rams they were a professional team and playing in the NFL…… and just finished whipping the New Orleans Saints.

28. By BIG RED on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Any given sunday you fool!!!

29. By Darren Urban on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

Tucsonaaron –

RE: QB

I do agree a good team needs good QB play. And they do need to upgrade/improve the tackles.

30. By drummer-1 on Nov 5, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren…

I thought you were going to stop posting comments that insult other fans and coach’s, players with name calling..

31. By Darren Urban on Nov 5, 2011 | Reply

drummer —

RE: Insults

I’m beginning to think you guys can’t write about anything else.

32. By MIKE G on Nov 5, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–I think one of the keys about this game for the Card’s is the injuries-in particular whether Heap will go. The Cards really need him especially with Housler out. He gives them experience and will allow a variety of more offensive plays that are in the playbook to be called. We need a win bad. Hey Darren– How did Skelton look in practice??? I think he may surprise some people- he has a year under his belt!!

33. By Craig on Nov 5, 2011 | Reply

It’s a shame Housler is out, I could have seen a couple of deep Skelton to Housler TD’s.

34. By cardfan on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

Oh man, okay why is it so easy for everyone to turn on the whiz, let’s not forget he’s the only coach in a LONG time who has showed cardinals fans a superbowl. So last year was terrible due to no viable QB. The QB problem last year was not K.Wiz fault, Leinart was supposed to be the guy he was picked and paid well long before wiz got here. The Bidwells I’m sure told him we are playing him alot he’s the guy! Leinart was Lienart(typical over hyped usc) and thus began the saga. Now Kolb a back up quarter back is the starter “the Guy” for the first time…. no quarter has an amazing rookie year. In fact even the greats sucked thier first year. So why can’t people take a step back let players develope and realize we are rebuilding after warner. The packers had to rebulild after Farve and rodgers was 6-10 his first year and then we beat him in the playoffs the next year and now he’s rated the number one qb, has a super bowl ring, and is working on in all probability another one this year. RELAX …. have some loyalty give Kolb some time we have played some tough teams in the begining of the season. Rebuilding isn’t over night.

35. By AZFAN on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

Would Bret Farve have missed a game with a little bit of toe pain? I don’t think so. We need a quarterback that has some toughness in him especially when you pay him like Kolb is getting paid. Kolb needs to man up and then start making some good decisions on the field.

36. By Darren Urban on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

Azfan —

RE: Kolb and the toe

It’s comments like this that make me shake my head. Obviously you haven’t read or paid attention to anything that was said about that injury.

2. Nov 4, 2011: Kolb doubtful for Sunday vs. Rams » Cardinals Gab
  3. Nov 4, 2011: Turf toe likely to sideline Cardinals’ Kolb for Rams showdown | Sports, News, Entertainment, US Legislation
  4. Nov 5, 2011: Cardinals Injury Update: Kevin Kolb Doubtful For Sunday | St Louis MO DIRECTV Service