Kolb out, Beanie and Heap playing, Deuce sits

Posted by Darren Urban on November 6, 2011 – 12:52 pm

QB Kevin Kolb is officially inactive today against the Rams with his turf toe, meaning John Skelton — as everyone thought — will play. RB Beanie Wells and TE Todd Heap are active however, helping out the offense. The one surprise on the inactive list: G Deuce Lutui. I would guess, since D’Anthony Batiste can play both guard and tackle, the versatility will mean something, expecially if at some point Jeremy Bridges goes in to play right tackle.

Besides Lutui, the only other healthy inactive is WR Stephen Williams. The rest of the inactive list is because of injuries:

• S Kerry Rhodes (foot)
  • FB Anthony Sherman (ankle)
  • LB Joey Porter (knee)
  • TE Rob Housler (groin)

For the Rams, QB Sam Bradford is active after missing two games with an ankle sprain. He is expected to start.

Tags: , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Kolb out, Beanie and Heap playing, Deuce sits”

1. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

So is Williams even worth anything to this team? I dont think I have even seen him play in a regular season game yet

2. By Ham on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

Rodgerscromartie17 i dont think he has played at but a couple snaps this year. I thought he was a bright spot for our rec corps last year. At least Brown is benched for this game.

3. By dustin whitlock on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

hey darren-

if skelton shows more then kolb has all season today, will there be any chance that the cardinals look to keep skelton going since our season is just about over?

4. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

Well, Wells can play.
    Can Wells play well?

Such a deep subject for such a shallow mind.

C’mon guys, a win. Please?

5. By OLdude on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

I have a good feeling about Skelton getting to play today. He’s had time to learn and observe and I predict a good game from him.

6. By Jonathan Joyce on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

What Williams are you referring to?

7. By Amanda Kennedy on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

I must say… I am excited to see what transpires today with the change on offense. Looking for a win today!

8. By Darren Urban on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

Dustin —

RE: Skelton

I think they need to give Kolb the season to see what they have in him.

9. By Zero on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

I like Stephen Williams last year, thought he would be a great big receiver and an asset to the team. Sadly he keeps getting benched…

10. By Brandon on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

Ham, Brown isnt benched he is playing

11. By Slim on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

Where’s all the John Skelton fans now after two straight safeties…pretty sure Kolb’s job is secure. Oh yeah, and thank you, Darren, for everything you do.

12. By Rowlan on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

I Can’t Believe We All Keep Showing Up for THESE GAMES

13. By cardsalltheway on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

15 yards rushing the first 3 quarters, hmmm!

14. By NJAZCardsFan on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

Could this be the WORST Cardinal team ever???

15. By cards62 on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

Thank you Rams for the early Christmas present.
    Totally out played us and yet you let us win the game. So many times in years past we would out play a team and find a way to lose, but today we found a way to win.

Winning is all that matters in the NFL.

Anyone still want to moan about the Patrick Peterson pick?
    Kid is a player and will only get better.

Darren do you know if the Cardinals are working on an extension for C. Campbell?
    If so for how long and what is the holdup. I do not want him to get away from us.

Go Cardinals and goodnight everyone drive home safely and sleep well tonight

16. By Chuck on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

The Cardinals could be 6-2 if we had a good O-Line,instead of 2-6.All 4 close game loses against the Skins,Hawks,Giants,and Ravens,could have been avoided if our QB isnt running for his life! We were unable to substain long drives to put teams away!

17. By GW on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

I think they need to give SKELTON the season to see what they have in him.

Skelton has better pocket presence than kolb,better footwork,better all around.Skelton just need some reps he’s ready to lead this team the cards need to realize the paid 63 million for a backup period. THANKS PP FOR ANOTHER GAME WINIING PR A SUPERSTAR IN THE MAKING.

ALL the fans should call for SKELTON to start after your comments.

Skelton 3 wins out of 5 starts kolb 1 out of 7 not counting the when he played for the eagles and i know some people are going to say but these are the rams to that i say kolb lost to the redskins,seattle,and the vikings. START SKELTON FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON.

18. By Craig on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

How about give the season to Skelton and see what they have in him?

19. By Craig on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

I’m not sure what coach Wiz has against Deuce, I thought he was one of our better linemen last year.

20. By lg on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

good win good def no turnovers and peterson is getting better as a CB two INTs so far this year THREE TD’s in punt returns so far thank you for winning today was a good day a good game good night.

21. By BIG RED on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

I still say Skelton plays better than kolb.Cool and calm.

22. By SteveDCO on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

Been thinking about this game and the 4 other games the Cards have let slip through their hands this season and it’s hard not to think what a real off-season would have meant to this team.

Obvioulsy myself like most Cards fans think a lot about what next year will look like.

If I look at the starting 26 players (kicker, punter, KR, PR) it’s hard not to be a litle hopeful for 2012

Offense

Stars
    Larry Fitzgerald

Good Players
    Beannie Wells

Role Players
    Darren Colledge
    Lyle Syndelin
    Kevin Kolb (has to become more)
    Rex Hadnot
    Todd Heap

Below Average
    Levi Brown
    Brandon Keith
    Andrea Roberts – could be more w better chemistry with Kolb
    Early Doucet

Obviously this is why the Cards aren’t very good. Too many below average players especially at OT and WR.

Defense

Stars
    none

Good Players
    Patrick Peterson
    Daryl Washington
    Calais Cambell
    Darnell Dockett
    Adrian Wilson (but falling fast)

Role Players
    Paris Lenon
    Dan Williams
    Sam Acho (moving up)
    Obrien Schofield (moving up)

Below Average
    AJ Jefferson
    Hamza Abdullah
    Richard Marshall (and falling fast)

The defense has some decent players but a lot of really bad players at critical positions. Jefferson and Marshall are getting scorther every game. Toler coming back will be a huge upgrade. Abdulla has played better but way below what we need to offset the weakness Wilson has of playing in coverage.

Special Teams

Stars
    LSH KR
    PP PR

Role Players
    Jay Feely
    Dave Zastudil

It makes it clear looking at this where this team has to go. One we have to assume that Kolb plays better and Acho and Schofield improve and no good players have drop offs.

Tackle becomes the most glaring need. I know Graves has stated he doesn’t like drafting OL high but it hasn’t worked. We need the kid out of USC or Standord.

OLB, Acho and Schofield have helped and much, much better than Porter but still not the dominat force we need.

WR a speed receiver who can stretch the field is critical.

Safety/ CB – We need a 4th DB and a safety to start growing to replace Wilson.

23. By cardsalltheway on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

I knew John Skelton could do it. He didn’t lose one fumble or throw one interception. He is 3-2 as a Cardinal QB, while Kolb is 1-6. Who is better? Duh!

24. By TucsonTim on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

No interceptions
    No running game
    Same O-line
    4th quarter come back
    Stands tall in the pocket without happy feet
    Steps forward in the pocket
    Runs when the play is there
    PERFECT touch pass to Fitz

And what does Whiz talk about on the post game radio interview. “He had some misses, too” Then Whiz starts talking about the safeties, like any person who has ever played flag football doesn’t know that that was not a good thing. Why did Whiz have to go negative. Why couldn’t he celebrate a fine performance by Skelton. I mean if Fitz doesn’t drop that pass, the hero would have been Skelton.

Roberts in the post game interview said that “everyone” was looking forward to Skelton because they all know he likes to throw it down field. Driving home from the game my 14 year old son said, wow he just threw Kolb under the bus.

Watched Theisman’s breakdown of Kolb in last week’s NFL playbook. Not good. Team knows it too.

25. By Darren Urban on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

cards62 —

RE: Campbell contract

I have not heard anything of late.

26. By ALONEEAGLE on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Well I must say, Skelton may not have won the game officially, but he definately didn’t lose it. Yes the two safeties were not good, but he has only had total starts. The drive that tied the score, he looked good. I noticed the entire game he never lost his composure. I think that until Kolb learns the offense, and is comfortable and finally has his footwork down, this team satys with Skelton. The defense was great today. I was very impressed the majority of the front line. Washington, Schofield and Acho are looking great. Dockett and Campbell looked great today as well. I thought the ref’s threw too many flags against Peterson today. He did a great job! I actually look forward to next week in Philly. My only concern is, is Whiz going to allow kolb to play because it is his old team or is he going to ho with the smart choice and let Skelton get his nd start of the season. I thought Skelton did an excellent job of not only finding the recievers, but reading the defense well enough to make first downs with his legs in one drive!! He has a good arm, he is athletic, he is very difficult to take down, for the most part and his accuracy is quite good. He showed complete composure in the pocket today, and didn’t get rattled after straight safeties! Also good for Whiz not pulling him for Bartel after the second safety. Let’s go Cards and beat eagles next week!! I know it’s Kolb’s former team, but I think the smart choice is Skelton!!

27. By ALONEEAGLE on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Whooops, spelling wasn’t all that great! am embarrased!!

28. By cards62 on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren thanks for the update on CC contract talks.

Steve DCO I agree with most of your list, but my list will have a few changes on defense.

I actually consider DD and CC stars, but with our system and rest of our defense I believe their talents are hidden and I personally believe better coaching is the main reason most do not label them as stars.

We all love A. Wilson as a person and his game over the years, but 2010 and 2011 A. WIlson the player must be on the below average list. At this stages of their careers I actually have more hope in Jefferson than WIlson.

You did not list Kerry Rhodes which I will place on the good player list or R. Johnson which I have to put on the below average list. I remember reading about Johnson when we drafted him a couple of years ago, and he was a late bloomer in high school and college so I am still hoping the light bulb will go on for him before too long.

Go Cards lets make it two in a row