Rams aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on November 6, 2011 – 11:35 pm

He had just four catches for 43 yards – although he finally got another touchdown – and yet Larry Fitzgerald’s smile was wide, possibly the biggest he has sported since signing that contract extension in late August.

Fitz stood at the postgame press conference podium with that smile and said, “You have no idea how hard it has been coming up here six weeks in a row. It’s a great feeling to come out of here with a ‘W,’ with the passion and the way we did it.”

The tangible reason why no team would want to Suck For Luck? That was it Sunday at UoP. The bellowing from the team in the locker room that could be heard through the walls afterward sounded like what would happen after a playoff win, not a second win in eight games. On Sunday, it’s not about the record or the race. Those are things to be considered the other six days of the week. Sunday is about the win, and that feeling when you get that win – especially the way it happened Sunday – and nothing else.

– “We have rules,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “It’s not just, ‘Go back there and catch whatever you can, wherever you want to catch it.” When the ball is inside the 10-yard line, I mean, that’s a hard and fast rule. Yet Patrick Peterson is averaging an NFL-best 21.8 yards a punt return, and has three punt return touchdowns in eight NFL games. I called him a prodigy last week in that aspect of the game, and then, Sunday.

– Here’s another punt-return rule: Once the gunners reach the 20-yard line, the guys blocking them – in this case on the final punt, A.J. Jefferson and Richard Marshall – are supposed to let them go. Peterson said he told them to hold on to the blocks. Jefferson actually did let his guy go at the 20, but Marshall – blocking on the right side, which is where Peterson went – stayed engaged. Marshall said it’s a lesson long learned.

“We know a couple times, we let them go inside the 20 and Patrick caught it and he could have made some yards and that was on us,” Marshall said. “Those are the rules, but we are going to stay on our man unless he gives us the ‘peter’ call (to get away as the ball bounces) because you never know. Sometimes he doesn’t catch it, and, (expletive), sometimes he catches it on the 1 like he did today.”

– I haven’t looked yet, but I know there are going to be plenty of Skelton-should-play-over-Kolb comments, or questions along those lines. I tried to make that point last week, and I will do it one more time: The Cardinals need to find out, over an entire season, what they have in Kevin Kolb. Kolb, if healthy, needs to play.

John Skelton played a decent game Sunday. He won, and he is 3-2 as a starter. All that is true. Kolb, in my opinion, still should play. I’m pretty sure that’s how the Cards will approach it. Feel free to argue why you feel otherwise. It feels sometimes that the Kolb vs. Skelton is like some of the most polarizing arguments we have in this country from the aspect that no one really is going to be swayed: Those who want Kolb out aren’t going to change their minds.

– One caveat on Skelton, with all due respect to the big guy, whom I’d really like to succeed: He has three wins in five tries as a starter. Some have said that’s all that matters. Perhaps. But in three wins, the defense has allowed a mere 13 points in two of them, and in the other – the Christmas Cowboys win – the defense provided two interception returns for touchdowns. My point? I think Skelton will do well with that kind of defense. I think Kolb would too.

– The defense was solid. They kept the Rams out of the end zone. They stuffed the Rams twice on short-yardage runs to stop the first potential game-winning field-goal drive, and it came up with the forced punt in overtime even though the Rams got the ball first.

– Lucky for Peterson for the field-goal block, because otherwise, his pass interference that gave the Rams a first down and set up that last attempt would have stung. Fox analyst Chad Pennington said it probably shouldn’t have been flagged (Peterson admitted he thought it was a bad call, although “I’m not going to criticize the referee”) but it was another example of Peterson drawing flags.

– That was an impressive interception by Peterson on the flea-flicker try early in the game. Peterson was beat, but his speed made up for it.

– Big, big day for Calais Campbell. He had the blocked field goal, a sack-and-a-half, two tackles for loss, three quarterback hits.

– Think there is something to the chemistry between rookies that came in together? Andre Roberts had been invisible for a month. With Skelton starting, Roberts had five catches for 55 yards – one more reception than he had had in the previous four games combined.

– Marshall moved into the starting lineup Sunday, replacing A.J. Jefferson. Jefferson continues to play in nickel situations because Marshall is playing free safety, but Marshall is the official starter.

– Beanie Wells struggled quite a bit. Hopefully that was about issues in the run game and what the Rams were doing, and not so much that Wells couldn’t get going because of his sore knee.

– Tight end Todd Heap was active, but he did not play in the game. Apparently he was there for an emergency or a special package that wasn’t used. UPDATE: Apparently Heap did play, although I am not sure how many snaps. Couldn’t have been many. The official game summary said he did not, but that is a mistake.

There’s more to talk about, but that can come tomorrow. It’s always easy to ramble on and on after a win.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

110 Responses to “Rams aftermath”

1. By david on Nov 6, 2011 | Reply

VERY pleased with acho and the scho , good heads up play by skelton when running to ball is better then throwing. PP Is a beast. if Wells cant roll on sunday i say use chester more.. Great Win

2. By Bill on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Let me start with this: Kolb needs to finish out the season. We need to see what’s there, and if he improves.

That being said, I have pretty much given up on Kolb. I understand that he is essentially a rookie (based on his amount of in-game experience), and I realize that if ANY team really needes a complete off season, it was us. But here are my 2 problem with Kolb:

– He is not accurate. He’s not obscenely wild with his passes, but he is nowhere close to accurate, either. Off the top of my head, I referrence the Rob Housler post throw he missed – beautiful move by the rookie to shake open, and Kolb missed the guaranteed TD by 6 or 7 yards. Skelton today fit the ball through several small windows, once between 3 defensive backs all within 2 yards of his target. I can’t help but feel that, in the same situation, the ball would have flown 5 yards over the receivers’ heads and into the waiting arms of the safety over the top (if he was there).

– He PANICS. Just put the slightest amount of pressure on him and he reacts without thinking… in the bad way. He breaks the pocket when he should step up, he steps up when he should roll out. He runs backwards 8 yards into the end zone to score a safety rather than take the sack on the three where he would have been hit. He seems to lose his head, his mediocre accuracy turns into outright wildness, and his decision making goes out the window.

I understand he is still learning the system and the terminology of the offense. Maybe he still needs to find a rythym with his receivers. Maybe he needs to find some confidence after a string of hard-to-swallow close losses.

But I can’t help but think that he wilts under pressure, and no amount of off-season or repetitions or studying will change the fact that he makes poor decisions and plays wrecklessly when he faces pressure.

Well, maybe we can package him and our #6 overall pick to move up and take Mr. Luck…

3. By C on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

The D and Special teams came up big when they needed to, but lets face facts.. Skelton took two safeties in this game, neither of which should have been taken (blame that on Skelton, the playcalling, what have you). The Cards blocked a field goal on a great individual play by Campbell. Then PP with the MONSTER punt return. It took a confluence of unusual plays (including the 4th down stand which was questionable at best by Spagnuolo) for the Cardinals to beat one of the worst teams in the NFL. I think it’s fallacy to say that (as you mentioned) Skelton is a better fit at starter than Kolb is at this point. This team is deficient on so many levels right now (most glaringly the offensive line) that I don’t think statistically it matters who the QB is. It’s going to be a long season.

4. By Andy Garcia on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

ha urban you said kolb would do good if he had the deffensive play that skelleton gets. Well i believe the play of a QB helps out the D, look at the colts.Manning goes down the D is lost, i think Skelleton is a part of making the defense play better. I personaly would prefer Skeleton i think he is a tad better than Kolb but hey whiz knows more than we do so whatever descion he makes is what is needed.

5. By ben on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

maybe they leave kolb on the bench another week.

6. By AZ Fan in WA on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

At this point it feels like we earned the lucky bounce. I’ll take it. Looks like everyone in the organization will too. Hope the players can bottle this up and take it with them on the road this month.

7. By Andrew on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Any chance we see Schofield get the starting nod over Haggans?

8. By Cards4Life on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

hey darren, any way we could get an exact count on how many tackles PP broke in all three of his TD punt returns combined

9. By Procen on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Skelton looked good and in my opinion has a better read on the defense, than Kolb. There is a lot of drop passes and Skelton should had a better pass completion. Whiz should keep Skelton playing instead. What do you think?

10. By Sarah on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

That was a team win and overcoming adversity is what matters. Winning like that builds character and it gets the monkey off their back. I have been rooting for Skelton and believe given time he will be a great quarterback. I like the reliability he will bring in a backup role, let’s see what Kolb can do and if he can build on this. If not i think the coaches are confident that Skelton can be an able replacement, one thing i note is the team seems to rally around him better as everyone steps up their game.

11. By Groders on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

How is it that in the Pro Bowl voting ballot Patrick Peterson is not a choice for Kick returner? I know I would be voting for him.

12. By Miguel on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, do you know how the cardinals were planning to use Peterson when he was on offense?

13. By dan on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Peterson is amazing and needs to play on offense as well. Just him being on the field would take pressure off of Fitz, plain and simple. Best athlete to ever wear a Cardinals uniform. He’s been playing very good at corner as well, he’s had some borderline calls against him but he’s always in position for the most part. He’s an amazing player.

14. By John S on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

“But in three wins, the defense has allowed a mere 13 points in two of them, and in the other – the Christmas Cowboys win – the defense provided two interception returns for touchdowns. My point? I think Skelton will do well with that kind of defense. I think Kolb would too.”

Wow i could not disagree with someone so much so as I disagree with what you said here. You actually proved what I keep saying every week. Do you think these guys are machines and the defense should just go perform at top levels when the offense continuously goes 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out…. Cmon man, I don’t have to tell you this is a game of momentum. The reason the defense did good in these games your talking about is because there was momentum from the offense. I haven’t complained about the defense not once this year because I sure its the offenses fault when the defense isn’t 100% series after series. Gee I wonder why the defense seemed better today?

15. By Carl on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

I seriously hope this is something that the cardinals can build on because I don’t want this win setting the franchise back 15 years now that we are going to lose out on luck.

16. By Rocky on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

“The caveat on Skelton”= Some guys are WINNERS…

17. By Nick Pepe on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Thank goodness!! It is so much easier to go to work this morning. And now it is Eagles week. Love it. How I hate the wretched green bastards.

I will be forwarding as much “billboard material” as possible …… There will plenty from WIP and the Daily News I’m sure!!! Enjoy work people!!!

Nick Pepe

18. By Old Man Riva on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Wins are pleasant even when they involve beating a team that is as bad as the Rams. The defense stepped up big time in this game and even though they gave up too much yardage, they stood rock solid when they had to. Hats off to the team for not rolling over and giving up when they could have. They showed they have plenty of pride and maybe a win like this is what they needed to regain their confidence. I agree with Darren about the QB situation. You cannot continue to play musical chairs like last year. Kolb is the QB and until he proves he is as incompetent as Mr. Anderson/Leinart were, he stays the starter. He has only been involved in 7 games as a Cardinal and think how many of those we could have won. Just think…Patrick Peterson WILL get better and better.

19. By Rocky on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

they bring a certain “air to the game” Intagibiles others do not have.. The defense knew they had a “chance” this game… there is a reason Andy Reid was willing to let Kolb go..he cannot go through the progressions.. if the first reciever is covered.. he panics.. starts to scramble.. Whiz wants him in the pocket… he cant see over the line well enough to be in the pocket.. or throws the ball to where the recievers are supposed to be and either throws high.. or int.. man that is a lot of Bidwells money ( the guaranteed part ) of Kolbs contract… when the answer is already signed… and on your bench… I can take rookie mistakes for a season or so… but there needs to be improvement… Kolb is regressing… not getting better.. Andre Roberts was a non factor on this team.. WHY??? Kolb can’t find the open reciever.. after his first option .. he is LOST…ONE Game.. I mean ONE Game… what a difference… how good it felt to watch a play DEVELOP AND WATCH YOUR QB FIND THE OPEN RECIEVER… WOW… Say what you want.. your feelings about the MONEY for kolb may be justified… but I say Play Skelton the rest of the year.. let’s see…
    give kolb a off season to learn the system.. next year at camp… IT’S ON !!! open competition.. Isn’t that what WHIZ has preached since he has been here..but the egg will be on his face.. if KOLB is a bust…and he spent a lot of Bidwells money to prove what we many of us here already KNEW.. WHIZ can not evaluate TALENT at this level… WHIZ… PLAY SKELTON… it may save your JOB>>>>

20. By Brandon on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

I hope Campbell is the next in line for a payday, I don’t want to see his talent developed on the field only to see it go to another team. The team’s spent some money this year, for sure, but there’s no reason to think they can’t go back to the coffer one more time, especially with the rookie cap looking to change the way teams hand out cash.

21. By Mr.Dibbs on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Are the Cards already talking with Calais Campbell’s agent about resigning him? It would be a huge loss if the Cards let him walk.

22. By Rick Chancellor on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

John Skelton’s foot work is miles better than Kolb , but I guess his foot is hurt . He holds on to the ball better and he wins sometimes. Whats not to like . Rick Taos Ski Valley NM

23. By Ham on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Im glad we got a win! However after watching the game, I know now why Kolb was named started before the season began. Look if Skelton was that much “better” than Kolb he would have produced more in the passing game. If you look at all the games this year. We are a couple of plays from being 5-3 or 6-2 to argue. Kolb is already out playing the cards last year squad at QB (which includes Skelton). But a win is a win and let the Skelton talk begin! I dont think we will hear the “Suck for Luck” talk. Pat Pete played like a man today! Glad we got a win and glad to see we did not give up a sack. keep Brown on the bench and work with the OLine that gave us a little better protection this week.

24. By Ham on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Im just correcting myself, we did give up a couple sacks but no turnovers.

25. By wsphxcardsfan on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Watching Skelton play brought back repressed memories from last season. Yes, he did enough to win, but not enough to prove he is better than Kolb. I said it a few times yesterday and will say it here: Kolb would have smoked that Rams defense, no doubt.

26. By Chris B on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Wow…wow. Living in a 3rd story apartment with people below us who already complain because we exist, I had to physically restrain myself from jumping up and down on the last play of the game. Instead all I could do was say, “No way (he caught that)… no way (he’s going to be tackled on the 1)…. no way (he’s to the 25)…. NO WAY! Nearly had a heart attack.

Skelton vs Kolb – Skelton did enough to win. Defense and SpT won this game though. Had they lost this game, people would have been clamoring for Skelton to be dropped and Bartel to be the starter. Props to Skelton on the TD drive to tie the game. If he had done that for 4 quarters, I would be on his bandwagon.

One thing Kolb needs to learn from Skelton; the other receivers need to play a bigger part. Roberts had 5 catches- a couple being drive saving ones and Doucet had a team high in receptions and yards. They may not be the “big” #2 WR but they can play.

Daryl Washington is, hands down, the best player on defense. He was in the back field half a dozen times and it’s a shame he couldn’t hold onto that pick-6 in-the-making. This guy is going to be amazing. If he isn’t playing at Pro Bowl level right now, I want to know who is.

Campbell is a stud.

Acho did a nice job as the starter. OB-won did a nice job when he was in there too. I believe it was his effort that prevented the 4th and 1 conversion in the 4th quarter.

Jay Feely gets some props too… for… well, I just felt like mentioning the kicker.

27. By MIKE G on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Big win for the Cards yesterday. Big games from Campbell and Peterson. The block by Campbell set up the special overtime return by Peterson. I believe that was a growing up game for Peterson. His coverage was considerably better than in previous weeks. He played that flee-flicker very well. I also thought Skelton played well and improved as the game went on. The big thing is NO TURNOVERS. I know that fans are going to want Skelton to start next week and there can be an argument made for that–but we have to see what Kolb has at the end of this season. The Cards invested way too much to have him sit. He must play! Now whether that trade should have been made in the first place is another subject for another day. Glad Adams is ok. Young LBS provided energy and are going to improve. Our running game hurt us yesterday. If Beanie cant go consistently week after week we will be in trouble at that position. A nice win for the team!!! Hey Darren –a crazy question for you–but do you see the Cards eventually placing Peterson on the offense either as a decoy or a potential target similar to how they used Rolle and DRC??? Could happen in a year or two???

28. By Jordan on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

SO SO pleased the Cards got a win and a well deserved one. Lets hope this keeps up now and climb the divisioN!!!

29. By CJ on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Very satisfying game. It definitely was a defensive game though and our defense simply beat there’s.

On the Skelton vs Kolb thing, I completely agree that we need to stick with Kolb for now. We gave him a big contract and need to treat him like we did so he can have confidence. Next year we can really start the Kolb vs Skelton arguments if Kolb isn’t performing.

That being said I personally just think Skelton looks better out there. Not that he’s a better quarterback but that he looks more comfortable in the pocket and even moving around the pocket. From what I recall his only big mistakes in the pocket were the Safeties. Granted those are huge mistakes but everywhere else he seemed calm and composed regardless of how pressure was coming at him. In another year or two, this kid could be huge.

30. By wnycardfan on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

I”m sure there will be similiar posts to this. I’ll give the team credit, they did pretty good sunday. I thought DEF looked pretty good. Yeah, it was the rams, but they never really did anything. PP is looking better every game at DEF, obviously still needs more work,but he’s progressing. Awesome punt returner, love it. Worried that that is the only way we’ve won games so far though, but I”ll take the win. I like his poise in the post game too, seems like a great guy and going places on the team. Skelton looked decent, probably rusty, looked like he didn’t get some reads right etc… I’m not raising the Kolb vs Skelton stuff. Kolb should start, that’s what they paid him for and you have to figure out if he’s going to get it together or not. Glad to see skelton. He’s also mature and seems like a good guy both off and on field so happy for him and hope he continues to make strides. Really wish our run game would have been better though, that is worrisome too. Roberts still seems a bit lost out there as a WR.
    Well, here’s hoping all that energy and fun from a win is infective and it puts them on a run of wins in the next few games. We aren’t going playoffs, but perhaps we’ll look decent and show some progress.
    Go guys go.

31. By reap37 on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

That was a fun game to watch, especially the Peterson return. This is more of what I expected from these guys. The Kolb vs. Skelton argument is interesting. If Kolb could “step up” in the pocket like John, he would be much more effective. If Skelton got more playing time, he would only get better. If the whole team plays like this, it would not matter that much who is the QB. Kolb should fix his problems and get better no matter what. We paid him too much money for this kind of performance.

32. By Marcelo on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

90% Agreed, I just think when Defense has helped Kolb, he’s done nothing but poor passes, Skelton is the starter, in three years he’s gonna be defending the superbowl!

33. By RelayTV on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Now everyone who has been posting that PP is a bust, can finally shut up.

He is the one guy on the team that gives you hope every time he touches the ball.

Also, Re: Kolb v. Skelton.

I really like Skelton, but he only put up 19 pts against the RAMS!!! (23rdin the NFL in defense)

Kolb put up 20 pts against (at the time) the #1 Defense in the League – Steelers and 27 points against the #2 defense – Ravens.

Right now, despite the wins & losses, Kolb is MUCH better.

34. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Enjoy Patrick Peterson now, because after two seasons he’ll be traded for another team’s backup QB.

35. By clssylssy on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Great Job Cards! I knew we could do it all along, we have talented coaches and players and now just need to FLY HIGH! You put up a good fight against the Ravens now keep it going! Hope we can stick with Skelton and let Kolb heal. He’ll be better next year. LOVE YOU GUYS, WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

36. By georgiebird on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Cardinals are at a crossroads. Kolb is not as good as Skelton. Big Red is also an inspirational type player. Yesterday, Skelton’s QB rating was 10 points higher
    than Bradford’s.
    Here’s the prudent thing for the Cardinals to do. Rest Kolb the rest of the year. Bring in Joe Thiesmann, an almost HOF QB, to tutor Kolb on his footwork. Last week, Thiesmann totally exposed Kolb’s lousy mechanics to a national TV audience – it was the type of criticism that I have never heard before from an ex-QB about a current QB.
    Next training camp, Kolb, Skelton, Bartel and and any draft choice will battle it out. To fight the tide on the QB position will prove Whiz to be a bigger fool than originally thought. And if Kolb plays lets not hear the “toe” excuse.
    And Steve Spagnuolo, like Whiz, should have stayed a coordinator. When he gets fired by the Rams, Cards should make him the DC. And, right now, AJ Feeley is better than Bradford. Stubborn, stubborn, stubborn.

37. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Do you think the defense believes Kolb gives them a better chance to win than Skelton?

Skelton and Roberts did great together last year, so I’m not surprised they had another good game together.

38. By Rich on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

was at the game….stayed to the end…..what a thrill !!!!!!!

Darren…………any idea what the thoughts are for Bradley? Didn’t see much of him.

39. By Matt in Philly on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

For me, in the Kolb v Skelton debate it comes down to more than just the W — even though that’s obviously the point of the game. Skelton did what Kolb has failed to do just about every week in close games: lead a a big drive in the closing minutes to keep the Cardinals in it. Skelton has now shown a couple times that he can succeed in big moments. Kolb absolutely has not.

Watching Skelton on Sunday it’s hard to see exactly WHAT the advantage of Kolb is over Skelton. I’d love to hear what those things are. But from where I was sitting it looked like Skelton had better footwork, better pocket presence, better mobility, and at LEAST equal arm strength. I did recognize that Skelton had a few poorly thrown balls (some too high, some into the ground, some batted down), but Kolb’s been at that himself.

Also the line did a pretty good job this week, giving up only 3 sacks to a team that obliterated New Orleans’ line last week. Props.

40. By CardinalFan on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

The caveats are: this was only the Rams and we need to find out how well Kolb fits in with the Cardinals. But I think Skelton did better than OK under the circumstances and here’s some specifics why I think that, he looked good and calm in the pocket he did not get happy feet moving only as much as he needed to, he threw some very good passes and got the ball down field easily, he threw well on the run and showed good judgement of when to run. The pocket presence and throwing on the run is better than we have seen so far.

He has actually less experience than Kolb but more with the Cards, even if it is not meaningful more at this point

41. By jocards on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Peterson has some serious game! It seems like the referees pick on him a bit but perhaps that’s just a rookie paying his dues….seems a bit excessive to me though. How long before we see PP on offense…I know he was on the field once but there was a mix-up and a timeout was called. It just seems like you need to get his hands on the ball. Congratulations to John Skelton, he wasn’t great but did have a few nice throws and runs and most importantly the team won. I do believe Kolb should start when healthy but I am intrigued by Skelton. Just nice to get a win, it’s been awhile.

42. By rio on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

SKELTON MADE SOME BIG THROWS AND RUNS,I LIKE THE WAY HE HANDLES HIMSELF.
    PATRICK PERTERSON IS JUST A MONSTER.

WIZ LOOKED LIKE A LITTLE KID ON CHRISTMAS MORNING WHEN THE
    FIELD GOAL TRY WAS BLOCK.

43. By CORMAC on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

WHOOT WHOOT!!! That was an exciting game. If anyone doubts our skills at drafting players, look at Peterson. We didnt even need him, but Whiz could not pass up such a special player. GOOD JOB COACH!!! Skelton did a good job. Perhaps he is not as good as a passer as Kolb, but he brings alot of other things to the table that cannot be recorded in stats. That being said, I think Kolb should probably start next week. Its nice we have three pretty good quarterbacks on our roster. Everyone is mad, because we lose, I AM TOO! BUT….we are in every game. We never get blown out like we have in the past. This is a rebuilding year, and I can see what the coaches are trying to put together. A solid team. Sure we need a few more pieces, namely in the O line…..but our team can slug it out with the best of them… GOOD JOB CARDS!!! Walk with your heads up high this week :O)

44. By Steve on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

So THIS is what smiling about the Cards. feels like? I had almost forgotten!!

Well done boys, now, back to work!

45. By BIG RED on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Your Right Darren, I still think Skelton is better fit for the Cardinals offense. They want passing then thats the way they should go. Another thing, did you see his scrambling and getting 1st downs when needed when the blocking whould break down. He save alot of negative sayings about the offensive line. Stick with Skelton he’ll mature to be a great QB. If the Cards can be patient with someone from Philly, why can’t they be patient with someone they drafted, that would make’em look smarter. I like to see what Kurt Warner says know about his pick, he picked the Rams cause of Bradford.

46. By BIG RED on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Oh! I also know they won cause of the Punt return but that’s part of the game. Skelton did have that spark at the end of the game before the OT, the way he move the team down the field. Did we ever saw kolb do that in any game. Nope!!!

47. By bluepitt on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

D,
    To tell you the truth I think we would have routed them if Kolb played. (and you know I dont really like Kolb) But Skelton got some good time to throw the ball and missed way more open reads than Kolb would have……

48. By Peter in Canada on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

I agree with your comments re the help Skelton has received in his three wins and yes you don’t just throw all that money invested in Kolb into the garbage can before making absolutely sure he is not the man. However, Skelton’s numbers were better than anything he achieved last year. His play in the fourth quarter when he needed to crank it up improved dramatically over the first half. In short he is improving and we need to discover his potential just like we need to discover Kolb’s. I don’t think Whiz should hesitate to bring him in if Kolb struggles. I think it should be a case of 1 and 1A not 1 and 2.

49. By CJ on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

its a shame about jefferson i hope he continues to improve and keeps his head up hes still young and has a lot of room to grow.

50. By TucsonTim on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

If you can really evaluate QB talent, what are you going to learn in the last eight games of the season?

I totally understand that no one inside the organization is going to say anything other than the party line about Kolb. I sure wouldn’t want to be the person who has to go to M Bidwill to tell him we made a 20 mill (forgot what’s guaranteed) mistake. I guess while you’re there you can try and explain your 5 mill mistake with Bradley.

Despite 2 yards rushing in the first half, still no A Smith. Wow.

51. By Christo on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Well a W is nice.

Hopefully the dramatic fashion in how we won doesn’t cover up that this was one of our worst coached games of the season. By all rights it should have been a loss. We seem fortunate enough to have run into an even dumber coach who threw away the game on a 4th and 1.

But yes by all means let us celebrate.

52. By Kevin on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Count me among those who want Kolb back in there. I like Skelton, he is a capable backup IMO, and the fact that he’s 3-2 as a starter is impressive, but I think Kolb wins yesterday’s game as well if we’re only going to let up 13 points. More importantly, the Cards can’t give up on a QB after 7 games, especially when the O-line is terrible as far as pass protection, and we’ve been in a position to win 4 of the 6 games we’ve lost. Skelton is not a long-term solution for a starting QB. Maybe Kolb isn’t either (I think he is), but whether he is or isn’t, we need to figure that out over a whole season. At this point, barring an epic turnaround by the Cards and an epic collapse by SF, neither of which seems likely, 2011 is over as far as playoffs, etc., so let’s just see what Kolb can do.

53. By Darren Urban on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Andrew —

RE: Schofield

Maybe. But I just found out this weekend, on Schofield’s strip-sack in Baltimore, he actually messed the play up and lucked into the sack. It’s those kinds of things that make coaches hesitant.

54. By Darren Urban on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Cards4Life —

RE: PP broken tackles

I will try to figure that out.

55. By Darren Urban on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Procen —

RE: Kolb v Skelton

See above.

56. By Darren Urban on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

John S —

RE: Defense

Cards had 58 yards in the first half. Explain to me how that proves your point?

57. By Darren Urban on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Miguel —

RE: PP on offense

I could tell you. But then I’d have to kill you.

(Why do I feel the need to mention that’s a joke?)

58. By Darren Urban on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: PP on offense

They actually had him in for an offensive play yesterday. The Cards had to call a timeout before the snap because they messed up something.

59. By Darren Urban on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Ottis Anderson —

RE: Defense opinion

If the defense is trying harder for one QB or the other, you’ve got much bigger problems than who the quarterback might be.

60. By Darren Urban on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Rich —

RE: Bradley

Clearly, that has been a disappointing situation. I am surprised he hasn’t played more.

61. By SteveDCO on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Daren –

Do you know what Schofield was supposed to do on the strip/ sack in Baltimore?

62. By Sean on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren, any word on Mike Adams?

I wish him a speedy recovery.

63. By DAVID on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren, great article PP21 is growing right infront of our eyes. he seems a lot more comfortable now on defense then we was 4,5 weeks ago.

skelton played admerible, one of the two safety that he had i have to give that to the play calling. the second was totally his fault. he seems more poised than he was last yr. if only he can get more games under his belt i’m sure he can turn somes heads around and be a real quality qb. he has the arm, hes poised and knows how to step into the pocket.

darren the one things i didnts understand is why there wasnt much of trying to stretch the field with his arm? it seemed like the rams defended the short underneith plays. our o-line is just aweful.

as much i would like to see skelton be the the qb from here on out it wont happen.. all im rooting for is that next off season that there is a fair compitiition with skelton n kolb. IMHO i think skelton beats him out but with whiz being stubern and so much money being invested in him it will seem like he the qb once again for us next yr. all i got to say is if we dont resign skelton and lose him to another team. ill be beyond angry.

64. By Darren Urban on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

SteveDCO —

RE: Schofield in Baltimore

I heard the story in passing, but apparently he told it on the Big Red Rage last week, which is available on the site.

65. By FanSinceLomax on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Skelton made some top notch throws in that game.
    He also made some top notch rookie mistakes. I think that if he got more starts they wouldn’t happen again.
    I agree with fans in the context that, Skelton seemed to read defenses better than Kolb has.
    I hope Kolb gets better, but quite honestly I’d like to see how John would do with 20+ starts in this league.
    When Kolb has lead game winning drives, they guy choked. That isn’t a matter of opinion. He missed two deep pass plays as well that I believe Skelton would have hit.
    Skelton lead a key drive and a made a big throw to at least tie that game, and give the team a chance to win.
    That being said?
    Due to the trade Kolb must start until the end of the season and see what they have.
    However it would be pretty embarrassing for the Cardinals to have made that trade (Not that DRC was great or even good sometimes) and all the while having a QB on the roster just as good if not better than Kolb.
    If of course Kolb doesn’t work out.

66. By Darren Urban on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Sean —

RE: Adams

Nothing new but he was moving around right after the play until the trainers told him to stop as a precaution. I think he will be fine. Certainly it doesn’t seem serious from what I could tell.

67. By Andy M on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Kolb needs to play, but Skelton has some MAD potential. When you talk about the Ben Rothlesberger prototype–very big, strong, strong-armed and cool (not to mention an ability to keep the defense honest with running), Skelton has the package. What I liked was the fact that he BELIEVED they could come back and win–rather than the indecisive body language in the fourth quarter we have seen for the previous six weeks. Sure, he did some bone-headed things, but he hasn’t been in a game of any sort for months. Back up quarterbacks rarely put up flawless games and Skelton has to make better decisions, but the vision, poise, imagination and touch were enticing. I agree with Ben: if Kolb is not fully ready, why not ride the hotter hand and give Skelton another week? His stats were better than Kolb’s since Week 1 and more importantly, he LED the team to a win. Kolb should be close to 100% when he returns or else he will just feed into the negative funk. Oh, and without PP, the Cards are 0-8. As his reputation grows he won’t get flagged like the call late in the game.

68. By Chris B on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

John S
    Defense feeds on momentum? 59 yrsds toal offense in first half- what play/plays are you thinking of that caused defense to play harder?

69. By Sean on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Good to hear, Darren. Thanks for the update. We need “Money Mike” back!

70. By Derek P on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

I’m going to have to be in the minority on this one. I think everyone can agree that Skelton looked much more comfortable in the pocket and had a better command of the game. He also brought a level of intensity that was largely lacking with Kolb out there. I’ll admit when I heard Kolb was coming to Phoenix I had high hopes but looking at his level of play I think we bought a lemon. People might start comparing the tangibles (completion percentages, points, etc..) but I think it was the intangibles that count. For the first time in a long time I saw the Cards fired up, hell Whiz broke that concrete stare of his for the first time since Warners run.

One last comment is, put Kolb in that 2:30 second last drive situation and I’d say 9 times out of 10 we would have lost that game outright. Don’t keep with a lame horse just because you paid a lot of money for him.

71. By cards62 on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Darren Darren Darren

Kolb verses Skelton

I do not know who will have the better carreer at QB in the NFL as of today,
    You could say P. Peterson has two wins for us. One each with both QBs.

All I know is Tim Tebow plays on a horrible team and he has one more win than Kolb with fewer starts and Skelton is not as much of a project as Tebow.
    Rookie Dalton plays for the Bengals and is 6 – 2 on a team every one expected to be 2 – 6 or worse.

NFL only cares about wins no points for style.

Kolb should be progressing from week to week or at least have a moster game to tease me here and there and it is not happening. His level of play to me seems to be decreasing with time. I was expecting the opposite.

You make a valid point about the defense finally playing well. The only other game I can compare to for our defense is Seattle with Kolb and we lost that game so that has to be in Skeltons favor.

The Seattle game also comes to mind for our poorest running efforts as Beanie did not play. I still think we ran the ball better against Seattle than yesterday and Skelton still earned the win with no running game.

You said yourself Skelton actually found a receiver, Roberts, who has been MIA for a month. Well my front office did not bring in anybody else at WR so I think it is another point for Skelton that he can actually throw the ball to our # 2 receiver.

Skelton did not have a receiving TE to use in this game. Both Housler and Heap out. GIve him this extra threat and lets see what he does.

Darren I will tell you now our offense played poorly yesterday or average at best which has been the case for all of this year. Last year our offense made me throw up after every game so definitely progress is being made as I can at least keep my lunch down.

My point is lets not be so quick to send Skelton back to the bench. I think it will do Mr. Kolb some good to heal up and learn from the sidelines for another week or two. During this time lets see if Skelton progresses or gets worse. When Kolb was injured in Philly last year I do not think Andy Reid put M. Vick in thinking M. Vick will be my starter all year and in the future, but M. VIck earned the starting role with his play on the field. I would just like to see if Skelton can do the same thing. I do not know if he can, but why not find out this year? This is not a playoff year and I just think it will make us a better team in the future and the QB competition next summer much better. Competion is the American way and the proven way for cream to rise to the top so I just think this will make not only Skelton but Kolb better, therefore making our Cardinals better.

Thanks for reading Darrren and please let me know why you think our running game was so awful yesterday.

Go Cards beat the Eagles for two in a row

72. By R Robles on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

I think if we had a running game (besides Skelton running) John woulda have had a better game. Kolb has had that & still manages to suck. Im a Skelton guy he’s not getting paid like Kolb & hasnt earned a paycheck since game opener. Skelton literally put in some good work wasnt the best but he helped. 1 outta 10 Darren what do you rate his performance? I’ll give him a 7.5

73. By TucsonTim on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Sorry for the bad news, but anyone who thinks Kolb would have won that game yesterday hasn’t been watching.

Like Georgiebird said and I posted on the previous thread, watch Joe Theismans break down of Kolb’s mechanics (on a completed pass no less). We’re talking fundamentals: feet, hips, waist, left arm and throwing arm . We’re not talking about reading defenses or learning WR routes.

It will take a lot less time to convince Skelton that he can’t out run LBs and DEs in the end zone (unlike Fordham), than it will to fix what probably isn’t fixable anyway at this point in Kolb’s career.

74. By Logan Cooper on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Logan’s weekly 10 observations to the game.

Before I start John S, you are delusional.

Some thoughts

1. The defense is 3-2 whe John Skelton starts.

2. The defense is finally starting to gel and are getting more impressive by the week.

3. If that was a passing interference by PP, then so was the one on Fitz that Deion Grant broke up on the fourth down against the giants.

Exactly the same coverage.

4. That fumble recovery by Chester Taylor yesterday was HUGE!

5. Beanie’s knee is clearly bothering him.

6. Acho and Schoefield are an upgrade at the position.

7. Kolb needs to create some chemistry with Roberts. Yesterday we clearly saw the benefit of getting him involved.

8. Skelton made some great throws.

9. Offensively, besides that last drive! was bad. They keep missing the exit to where they need to be. Every once in a while they seen the sign to the destination and get excited, only to realize they passed it again.

10. I love you too Patrick Peterson

75. By AL on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

I think Kolb will be a whole new man next week (if he isnt still injured). Seeing how someone else, with more experience in this system, played in the pocket should give a better idea of what he should be doing. Kolb has been uncomfortable in the pocket because of the poor OL play, but i think taking some notes on how skelton stepped up to avoid pressure will have a positive affect on him.

To those saying Skelton will win a super-bowl after one, defense and special teams-lead, win: where were you after Kolbs first game as a card? That was a much better game than skeltons.. It’s more likely neither Kolb or Skelton are the answer for us at QB than Skelton being the next Aaron rodgers.

76. By Darren Urban on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

R Robles —

RE: Skelton

Let me ask you this. Let’s say the Cards lose that game — say the Rams kick a field goal on the first OT possession, so Skelton doesn’t get a shot in OT. You still giving him a 7.5? Let’s put it on the other foot: Say Kolb lost the game 16-13 with the same stats. Still 7.5?

77. By clssylssy on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Why would you play Kolb when he is not 100% healthy and we have perfectly good backups? “Turf Toe” is more that a stubbed toe so why not let Kolb heal?
    Hopefully, the organization will decide in favor of the best choice to win the game and not some political nonsence. Kolb will get better if given the chance…I get the feeling a lot of people would like to see Kolb fail just so they can say, “I told you so”. There are still games to win so lets GO CARDS!

78. By andy on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

why mess with momentum ? keep skelton as a starter

79. By drummer-1 on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

How are you Darren..

A lot of fans are saying they think Skelton will be good if given the chance to play, don’t you think the same can be said about Kolb, plus given the fact that Skelton was in this system last season and Kolb just got here about 4 months ago, I think it’s to early to give up on him, and like last year we’ll be doing the play this QB, play that QB.. I’m not looking at last year, but so far Skelton has the same number of wins this year as Kolb, so whats to get so excited about..

80. By Gilbert Card on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, watching number 21 returning that punt brought me back some very good memories from my childhood, I was 10 years old, and the great Terry Metcalf who also wore number 21 ignited my love for the Cards ever since…check the link below…keep the good work! GO CARDS!!!

81. By Sergio on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

I totally understand your point about how the Cardinals Defense and Special Teams played better in those games with Skelton starting, and ordinarily, I think it would be a valid argument.
    But in each of those instances, when we needed a 4th quarter drive, with a shot to win, I think the entire team believed we would do it. I certainly did as a fan, and we came through in each instance. Even on 4th and 23 against Dallas.
    With Kolb in, however, we had 2 or 3 games where we SHOULD HAVE won and all we needed was that one drive, and Kolb completely fell apart in EVERY INSTANCE.
    This is the main reason I do not believe this guy is a winner in the NFL. When it’s time to shine, like Aaron Rodgers, or even Jake Plummer…Kolb folds like a cheap suit.
    Sergio.

82. By APCARDS on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

So nice to have a win! Go Cards! Beat the Eagles!!!!!

83. By R Robles on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Ya I still give him a 7.5 D only because he managed not to get sacked & stepped up to make a play rather then run back like Kolb. If the running game was there less throws for Skelton to make & less pressure. I honestly dont think Kolb woulda made it outta there alive he doesnt step up & throw he runs back for some reason??? So what would you give him D?

84. By joe67 on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

If game were somewhere besides Philly, I might say let Kolb rest another week and see what Skelton can do. Under the circumstances, I am sure Kevin wants to play and I’m sure he knows more about the Eagles than Skelton. If he looks bad again, then maybe think about going back to skelton.

Is it possible the D maybe started to “get it” in the second half? They sure started playing a whole lot better. First half was bad, the way they let Jackson run all over them.

85. By rojobird on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Thanks PP for the the “W”… (and the rest of the team of course)… It sure feels good to get a “W” but I honestly would have liked too see if Skelton had it in him to take it up the field and get the W with a TD or a FG just to prove all the Kolb supporters that Kolb is not who we think he is (our Franchise QB)…. Skelton was not spectacular by any means specially in the first half but his presense in the pocket was unmistakably noticiable specially in the second half he kept us in the game… unlike Kolb that runs around like a chicken with out a head and doesnt know where to go with ball after the called play goes sour and specially during crunch time where he chokes most of the time… anyways I hope Kolb gets better soon but if he is not 100% let him sit out one more game…. And yes I believe he should finish the season just to see if indeed he is our future QB… GOOD LUCK TO MY CARDS IN THE REMAINDER OF THE SEASON AND GOD BLESS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!!!! :) :) Darren do you think a win is a win or would you have like too see Skelton given a chance to see if could have earned the win with one last drive?

86. By cmonman on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Great game yesterday. I think it was just what everyone needed…the players, coaches, and fans! It’s hard to hear about the Kob/Skelton debate. I was one of those people who did not want to draft a starting QB (especially for what it cost us). To tell the truth, I was a little disapointed when we did. Nothing against Kolb, but thought after the whole QB shuffle last season, Skelton was impressive and showed massive potential. I really hope we can use Skelton as a starting QB one day, because I think it would be very sad to see him go to another team who sees what a lot of people see in him. Given some experience, I really have a feeling he is going to be a great Quarterback. I know we are in a rough situation with Kolb and he still needs to be given a chance. Maybe a compromise would be to start Kolb and if he is struggling, put Skelton in as relief. In the off season, have them compete. Just my thoughts. Anyway, great win yesterday and great time to watch.

87. By Darren Urban on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

R Robles —

RE: Grade

Not a 7.5. Less than that.

88. By georgiebird on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Just a few notes:
    1) nothing much has changed in SF but the HC (and winning)
    2) Rams 1st seven opponents-Eagles, Giants, Ravens, Skins, Packers, Cowboys & Saints
    3) Rams will fire Spags before season end (reason- Peter Principle)
    4) If Leinart had Kolb’s footwork, Whiz would have cut him immediately.
    5) it will be impossible for Whiz to survive the Kolb trade
    6) is “turf toe” an allowable excuse at the HC’s presser
    7) Rams can beat the Saints without Bradford and can’t beat the Cardinals with Bradford
    8) PP’s handling of punt at the 2 proves the NFL is a results only League.
    9) John Skelton played for the Rams in college
    10) Cards “D” can play well when the opposing HC and QB are not too good

89. By Cardinalchris on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

I don’t want Kolb or Skelton starting. They are both growing and learning. This is what a team goes through with young quarterbacks. The fact is, the fans and coaches expected more out of Kolb. Even acknowledging his limited experience, he has not developed fast enough. In fact, he is going backwards. It doesn’t take a full season to figure this out. The offense was no juggernaut this week, but that was due to the lack of running game and reserved play calling. Skelton looked impressive at times -very similar to Big Ben in how he moved around in the pocket. He moved and opened up throwing lanes keeping his head up and then throwing to receivers that decided to play volleyball instead of football. Kolb just takes off running. He plays like a little girl in the back yard. Skelton stood tall, didn’t throw it into the facemasks of the defenders, took the hit when he saw it coming, looked like an NFL quarterback not a scared you know whatless little freak. I liked the trade for Kolb, but the Cards have admitted they like competition. Open it up, give Skelton a chance. He’s had less time than Kolb in the league and is growing as well. Only, it appears to me Skelton is actually getting better, not worse, unlike Kolb. Fun discussion, thanks.

90. By BIIRDISTHEWORD on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

great win…us fans along with the players needed this….there is nothing like coming out of the stadium to nothing but fans cheering..it was like we had won the superbowl….did anbody hear the spanish play calling by gabriel trujillo when peterson was running for the td…its awesome…PATRICK PETERSON al infinitooooo y maaaaaaaas allaaaaaa (to infinity and beyond)….noooow lets not get outta control here it was a great win buuuuuut sorry to be a downer but the offense coul’dve and should’ve played better…yes they made plays when they needed to… but 2 safties in a row? i personally think skelton is gonna be a GREAT qb he just needs to develop a bit more…he did enough to win…for the time being…i think Kolb once he has a yr in our offensive system is gonna be good……but regardless a Win is a Win….i’m happy i don’t care if “it was just the rams” its a good feeling….

91. By Scott H on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

clssylssy –

If I may direct your attention to a previous dialogue that we have had, I wonder if you watched the Pats-Giants game yesterday….because if you did, then perhaps you noticed this – about halfway through the 3rd qtr, with the Pats losing and having just failed to convert a 3rd down, their fans were raining down the boos loud and clear. Now, this is the PATRIOTS we’re talking about! Probably the best team of the past decade. Always a SB favorite. Haven’t lost a home game in forever. Haven’t had a losing season in forever. AND YET THEIR FANS WERE BOOING! Why? Because that is what fans do, and they do it EVERYWHERE! When the Pats took the lead late in the game, the place was rockin’ once again. Supports my point that FANS are emotional and reactionary and they respond to what is going on at any given moment. They DO NOT sit quietly and politely while they wait for something good to happen. Even in stadiums where the BEST teams play, fans still let those teams know when they aren’t happy. It doesn’t mean they are bad fans or do not support their team. It shows that they are INTO IT and they care about what is going on. And I think THAT is why there has been so much frustration being voiced in these blogs recently – because people care about what is going on. You make a terrible mistake when you mis-label passion as negativity.

92. By Andy on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

I say give the start to Skelton for a couple of reasons
    He was extremly accurate with the ball (even though he was 20-35 he should have been 25-35 due to drops and should have been caught passes)
    He performed in the cluch
    He did not turn the ball over a lot
    He made the worst offensive line in the NFL look decent

Why not just give him one more start and let kolbget to 100 percent
    If Skelton could make throws aginst drc Assante Samuel and Namidi Asmhouia he can make throws against any corner in my opinion

93. By Honda Doug on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

I took my shots when they were embarassed in Seattle and Minn. but I was pleased with the overall effort, this past Sunday. Off. line still needs major improvement, but one step at a time.

94. By cards62 on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Gilbert Card thanks for the Terry Metcalf video.

Watching him run was magic.
    I still have his and Jim Hart’s and Mel Gray’s posters I sent away for and hung in my room for years while growing up.

Anyone if you take the time to watch the video I promise you will feel better about being a Cardinal fan after watching Metcalf in action.

Go Cards

95. By cardsalltheway on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Sunday against the Eagles, we can win with John Skelton. If Johnny S. goes down, put Richard Bartel in the game. Kolb is # 3 against the Eagles. Philadelphia will/would pummel Kolb.

96. By BIG RED on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Go ahead let kolb play against his old team the Eagles. There gonna be after him the whole game, they know his weakness. He won’t even last the 1st half. Then put Skelton in to try and win the game. And please no excuses about his ankle. If kolb plays his ankle is good, if he doesn’t then he really is hurt. Whiz never plays anyone with injuries.

97. By Marcelo on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

there`s a smart guy somewhere up right who said everything:

While kolb is moving backward, Skelton is flying forward (…)

FACT

98. By EJ on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Great to have a win finally after a bunch of close games! Haven’t smiled so much on a Monday morning in a long, long time!

Just a couple of things re. Kolb v Skelton debate

1. Skelton has an entire year on Kolb in AZ. Of course he’s going to look more comfortable. Since pre-season last year I’ve always felt that he’s going to be something special one day. Gotta remember though, he’s still pretty green. A couple more seasons under the belt and he’ll be what we need. Now is a great time for him as back-up QB, not starter. Sure he got the win, but who’s to say Kolb wouldn’t have managed the same if he wasn’t injured? We’ll never know…

2. Kolb needs to play out the season then compete against Skelton for starter in the pre-season. With no off-season to learn the ropes, he’s already starting at a disadvantage. Sure he has only won one game for us but look how many really close games we’ve had. In my opinion, a close loss isn’t all that bad. It’s far better than a loss like the Colts had against the Saints. Sure it’s still a loss but look where the team was last season? This season is about re-building things. We were never going to be super bowl contenders this season. Sure a few silly mistakes have (maybe) lost us some of those close games, but imagine next year, when the team has had time to smooth out the wrinkles- those close games are going to be wins. And don’t forget- it’s not all about the QB. Both offense and defense need to be working like well-oiled machines. I know it’s hard but that’s why they say patience is a virtue.

99. By Eric Hutchins on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

The junk that gets written here sometimes makes me embarrassed to be a cardinal fan. And I have been as loyal diehard a fan as you can possibly be since Jim Hart was QB.
    My first beef is with all the whiners jumping on Whiz. ARE YOU SERIOUS? Do you know what the previous 20 years were like before him? Do you have any idea how much progress this team has made as a result of him? After the 2008 and 2009 season I believe that he has proven himself. NFL teams will have ups and downs, pulling the plug on him after a couple of rough seasons is nearly the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard. This is the guy that took the Cardinals to the playoffs two years in a row! Did he all the sudden become stupid? I truly hope that he does not read all the negative crap, and if he does, he shakes it off like he should. He is a great coach, and I hope he is here for a very very long time.

100. By Eric Hutchins on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

One of the comments in this long string talked about the great Andy Reid. Anyone watching the game tonight, with the dream team and their super QB, getting it handed to them at home by the powerful bears?

101. By Eric Hutchins on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

My other beef is how quickly you so called fans bailed on Kolb. DO YOU PEOPLE REALLY WANT TO GO BACK TO THE QB MESS WE HAD LAST YEAR.? Do really think Skelton is the future? Skelton is a solid,but pedestrian back up, and maybe maybe someday he could earn the right to start, somewhere. However, saying that he has a better chance of being the future of the Cardinals is simply ridiculous.
    I am sure all those that are throwing Kolb under the bus are the same people clamoring for Kurt to be in the hall of fame. I like Warner a lot, don’t get me wrong, but don’t any of you remember how his start with the cardinals went? He fumbled the ball every time he saw his shadow. He had happy feet. He threw SIX interceptions in one game. COME OOOOOOON quit your complaining and get behind your starting QB instead of undermining his confidence.
    Lets talk wins and losses, we had 4th quarter leads LOST BY THE DEFENSE against the Giants, the Ravens and the Redskins with Kolb starting, if it weren’t for those losses we would be 5-3 with two games left against the 49niners and in control of our playoff destiny. Am I saying that Kolb has been great, NO, but he has been good enough for us to win those games, and that is a hell of a lot better than Kurt was in very many of his early games.
    In Whiz I trust. Go Kolb. Go Cardinals

102. By clssylssy on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

LOL! Why can’t fans be happy with a win and keep the momentum going instead of picking every play apart? Scott, I don’t think I am the only FAN who feels that all of the negativity is counterproductive…looks like Eric feels the same. I was present when Cards fans booed Kurt Warner and called for Leinert to be put in…remember those days? I was raised in a sports family where booing was not an acceptable form of “corrective criticism” and passion, bu,t rather more an indicator of lack of character. I would like to think that Cards fans have more class and character…it’s like you tell your kid, “just because others do it doesn’t make it right”…Patriot fans boo their team so it must be OK…Pffft! Todd Heap was hurt and didn’t play in the Ravens game, which might have made a difference so what is the logic behind playing Kolb hurt because it’s Philidelphia? FLY HIGH CARDS AND BEAT THE EAGLES! WE CAN DO IT!

103. By jonnyb on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

so wat happens when the cards keep starting kolb,i think it will be like a matt and warner thing why are they going to let skelton rot. wait till kolb keeps suckin then trade him away and not have a qb for the next 5 years i have been a fan since 86 my blanky yeah my blanky was cardinals i was born in 86 cant we just go with a qb like skelton he knows the system better. To hell with keep kolb as starter just because we gave him alot of money wow give me alot of money start me then its dumb i want a winner and kolb has not shown that in one win his time here yeah skelton has a win against a crappy team kolb has lost to a couple crappy teams READ THIS AND YOU DONT AGREE LET ME KNOW

104. By jonnyb on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

defence does play better with qb play

105. By Scott H on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

clssylssy –

So, let me get this straight…it’s not OK for other fans to boo their teams because the Pats boo theirs’ ( which wasn’t even my point )…but it’s OK for Cardinals fans to forgive their team for struggling because other teams are struggling too ( as you have pointed out over and over ). Right? Well, my dear, that would mean that you are totally contradicting your own logic. Pick a side. You don’t get to have it both ways.

Since you obviiously missed it, my point WAS that fans in just about any city you care to name will boo their team when their team is not performing up to expectations. Happens in New England, Pittsburgh, Philly, New York, etc. It also happens with all other major sports. That doesn’t mean that it makes it right for others to do it. It means that it appears to be pretty typical among sports FANS. But I guess since we weren’t raised in YOUR house, we were just brought up wrong. Please forgive us.

106. By Eric Hutchins on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

Hey Johnny B. I DON’T AGREE. You said I should read it and let you know. I read it. I DON’T AGREE.

107. By Eric Hutchins on Nov 8, 2011 | Reply

I do however COMPLETELY agree with Clssylssy.

108. By BIG RED on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Hey EJ you say kolb will be better next year, just cause he’ll be with the team for one more year. I guess you haven’t heard of Romo with the girls, he hasn’t taken them to the promise land in 6 years. So, thats a bunch of bull. Skelton is the man, period!!!!!!!

109. By Eazy E on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Whew! John Skelton not bad. 20-35, 222 yards, 1 TD TO FITZ Finally, and NO TOs. I said that he wouldn’t have 350 yards and 3 tds, but he would probably do better than Kolb. You really can’t excuse Kolb’s play, I understand he doesn’t know the offense and chemistry with receivers aint there, but c’mon the cards gave way too much for you to be this inept. That is why I was against getting Kolb and giving up what we gave up also. Skelton was our leading rusher also and Beanie was a combination of a little dinged and the rams stopping him totally with only 10 carries for 20 yards. Fitz I bet is ecstatic because he finally got in the endzone since Week freaking 3! Kolb still hasn’t connected with him for a TD since then, unacceptable Kolb. 4 catches for 43 yards and the aforementioned TD catch that was a beautiful throw and catch. Early made some key catches also totaling 6 catches for 78 yards. Andre finally dressed with 5 catches for 55 yards, but we still need T.O. don’t trip, that was his best game of the season which is sad. O-Line did alot better job as a group, tackles are still questionable to say the least with Levi and Brandon and I think Brandon was replaced by Bridges or at least I hope so. Philly gone have 2 pro bowl pass rushers coming in and if they don’t play well, they could have at least 4 sacks combined. D-Line did a hell of a job getting after it Calais getting 2 sacks, Dockett making plays in the backfield and creating pressure. LBs including D-Wash, Acho, and Schofield are beasting. Start the OLBs over our vets and play those guys situationally. Acho has another sack for the 3rd game in a row and we finally may have a little rush out of our OLBs with Scho. Patrick is just something else. He followed Lloyd and Lloyd had a good game but Patrick definitely made plays also especially on that flea-flicker interception, great instincts and ball skills. Marshall is now starting and that is a good move. He had a slot cb blitz which he is good at. Patrick had the extremely exciting punt return of 99 yards walk-off that ended the game SWEET! Great job by D to stop them from scoring a fg or td before the great play by #21. Philly is going to be tough to beat because they are pissed off and we’re going east where we are pretty terrible at(unlike the 9ers who are 4-0) Good luck Cards!

2. Nov 7, 2011: Around the NFC West: Cards can exhale - NFC West Blog - ESPN