Dealing with Vick’s quicks

Posted by Darren Urban on November 9, 2011 – 11:47 am

The Cardinals have faced Michael Vick twice in his career, and both times it was before his reincarnation as a better, more studious passer. Both times it was during his stint with the Atlanta Falcons, a time before he was sent to prison for dog fighting and during the time he admittedly didn’t work very hard at his craft. Certainly, Vick still was an amazing athlete — like now playing for the Eagles — and his running ability makes him so dangerous.

In 2004, defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast came up with a new scheme just to mess with Vick and it worked perfectly. The Falcons did almost nothing most of the day offensively in Atlanta, and the Cards bottled up Vick. Unfortunately, the Cards’ offense also did almost nothing, except turn the ball over a couple of times in scoring range. The Falcons kicked two field goals that day to Arizona’s one. Up until the very end, Vick was stymied — 10-for-20 passing for 115 yards and one interception, and seven rush attempts for 10 yards — until Vick made the one play to seal the 6-3 win, running  a play-action naked bootleg with two minutes left on second-and-7 for 58 yards.

His 2006 showing was better, in a game that for Arizona fans was better known for Matt Leinart’s debut and introduction to the lineup (Denny Green grabbed the microphone during a postgame interview between Paul Calvisi and Leinart, as Leinart was trying to dance around the question of whether he would start, and announced that Leinart was indeed the starter). The Falcons romped, 32-10, kicking six field goals. Vick only threw for 153 yards (13-for-22, one pick) but he ran for 101 on just 11 carries.

Vick’s running ability hasn’t changed. He has 456 yards rushing and averages 8.0 yards a carry (remember, in the NFL, sacks are not included in a quarterback’s rushing totals). Keeping him contained will continue to be important — keeping gap responsibility, and being wary of where he is in the pocket. He can be deadly as a passer, but it’s his running that can be the backbreaker.

Tags: ,

31 Responses to “Dealing with Vick’s quicks”

1. By wayne on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

I remember the 6-3 loss to the Falcons, and I am pretty sure we used Dansby as a spy on Vick, he just waited to see what vick would do, it was actually a great scheme by the cards and I do remember other teams doing the same thing after that game.

2. By Rich on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

The Bears seem to do well with Urlacher assigned to Vick.

3. By rojobird on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Dont know why but I feel the same type of excitement and butterflies I did when this season first started… it kind of feels like a new start , a fresh start after our win last sunday (yeah I know it was against The Rams but hey the W is what counts) regardless of what QB starts Im very hopeful that this will be our first road win a long time… I hope the same team that played last sunday shows up against the Eagles and that we can get something out of Beanie… But boy o boy I cant hardly wait…. LOVE MY CARDS!!!! WE DO THIS TOGETHER!!!! Darren any word on Benie and Kolb????

4. By Woody on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

-Darren
    I see Vick getting shutdown if the defense plays like they did against St. Louis.

Go Big Red!!

5. By Laruso on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

We can only hope they play Kolb and he has a career ending injury and this nonsense stops. Everything Kolb says is blowing smoke and it was very apparent from every press conference since pre-season that this guy knew he took a job he couldn’t deliver on. All this talk from him like “he really wants to play against the Eagles”.. no he doesnt. He wants to falsely appear that he does when its very obvious he wants the injury excuse so he can avoid any more criticism on his terrible play and stand on the sidelines and collect his fat checks. Anyone remember our beloved Warner on NFL Network in the preseason when he was the only one on there doubting the abilities of Kolb and he said “uhh i havent seen enough of this guy to say that he will be the guy so im not so sure about this” and the rest seemed shocked he said that? Boy was he ever correct.

6. By mikeal on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

love the oldschool uniforms in this picture!! Darren, why don’t we see them in a throwback game? Personally, I would like to see them go back to these on a permanent basis. Simple, straight lines, and state flag! Love ‘em!!!

7. By lg on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

sam acho is playing very good DEF as a rookie LB but aint nobody talking about him forreal.

8. By cards4ever on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

hey laruso….

why dont you go cry and whine on someone elses blog. your opinion is not wanted here. if you dont like kolb thats fine just do us all a favor, stop watching the cards. we dont want fans that make ignorant comments like you hoping kolb gets a career ending injury against the eagles. you are pathetic! any one that wants to criticize kolb needs to sit back and see how he does next year once he has a full year and off season with this team. this team has tons of talent and potential but to ask a group of guys that havent played together that long as a unit and that has seen many changes to go out and win the super bowl is out of this world. give them some time. if you are a true fan sticks with their team through good times and bad times. iI know this team has had almost nothing but bad times but didnt it make those two good years that much better?

9. By wayne on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Larusa,
    your an as!, how can you hope any career ending injury to anybody, what a punk! what would you do if you had a career ending injury, you suck!!

10. By D on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

The best way to stop Vick is to put their best athlete on him to spy –D. Washington would be the best option, like what the Bears did with Lance Briggs on the Monday night game

11. By Chuck 1 on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

I’m surprised that you allow posters to write things like:

By Laruso on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

“We can only hope they play Kolb and he has a career ending injury and this nonsense stops”

Career ending injury wishes should be verbotten!!!

12. By Scott H on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Vick has not been the same player he was last year and not the player the Eagles thought he was going to be. That said, none of that may matter because of the infuriating tendency of this Cardinal team to allow struggling players and / or teams to find their magic ( if only for one week ) when they play the Cardinals. Won’t surprise me to see Vick do it all this week, running and passing. Traveling to the east coast is rarely ever good for this team, and I think going into a nasty environment – cold weather, rowdy fans, and an Eagles team that is gonna be plenty pissed off about losing on Monday night – is going to be ugly for the Cardinals on Sunday.

13. By TucsonTim on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

I know I sometimes go over the top with my sarcasm and my anger with the organization, but I really don’t think this the appropriate forum for wishing career ending injuries on anyone.

Kolb was one of the most sought after free agents in the off season. The scouts, GM and Whiz thought Kolb was the right guy and they convinced Bidwill to go all in with a trade, a pick, and 20+ million guaranteed. If Kolb doesn’t pan out, it’s on the organization. Direct your anger there. Besides, good coaches can make mediocre QBs look good (think Alex Smith), and bad coaches make mediocre QBs look terrible (think Alex Smith).

I may not like what I’ve seen from Kolb so far, but I don’t think for one second that Kolb has worked at being a QB his whole life to come here and fail.

14. By Peter in Canada on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Laruso – I remember before last season Kurt was asked a similar question about Matt Leinart. He was very non- commital, refusing to say that he would definitely be successful but said that he really wasn’t sure. Some of the posters on this blog, obviously the Leinart lovers, villified him saying that it was a most un-Christian thing to say. As an analyst he is pretty good. He will give credit where it is due but he is not a cheer leader.

15. By drummer-1 on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

@ Laruso….

That was uncalled for… How can you wish harm on someone over a game…this board is starting to get out of hand with some of it’s comments..

16. By Prashant on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

I think our defense will show up and keep the Eagles under 24 points (which is respectable).

The real question is will our offense show up? Can they score without assistance from the defense and special teams?

If I remember correctly, we haven’t had a pick six this season, so maybe someone from the D scores a few points for us!

17. By lg on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

yep i say the something kurt warner did not do good his first year here but look how he did the next year a trip to the superbowl let kolb get use to being a cardinal first before we the fans run him off.

18. By rio on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

GO LURYSO,YOU ARE SO RIGHT

19. By SkeletonistheMAN on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

I’m a fan of Skeleton but I want to see how Kolb is going to finish in this season. This is the stage and time to evaluate Kolb for the cards organization, especially for Whiz. For me no more evaluation. When I say this it is not because of this team won their first game with Skeleton after lossing 6 weeks in the row, but because of two reasons.
    1. During pressure time, most of the time, Kolb gets negative yards by running backward to the opposite direction.
    2. During pressure time, Skeleton stands in the pocket or runs forward to gain some positive yards
    Darren what do you think about my evaluation?

20. By SkeletonistheMAN on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Laruso: I don’t think you are a human being; wow, this world is holding amazing people at the same time.

21. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Chuck 1 -

RE: verboten

I sometimes am surprised I let a lot of things be posted.

22. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Skeletonistheman -

RE: evaluation

First, I think if you are a fan you should learn how to spell his name right.
    Second, I think Kolb does backpedal too far sometimes but to make either of your blanket statements is oversimplification.

23. By Superfuzz on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

Do you think they will ever bust out the old unis again? As throwbacks? They look so sweet in that pic!

24. By Scott on Nov 9, 2011 | Reply

1. Denver Broncos QB Tim Tebow—22
    2. Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo—21
    3. New York Jets QB Mark Sanchez—9
    4. Detroit Lions DT Ndamukong Suh—6
    5. Tennessee Titans RB Chris Johnson—5
    6. New England Patriots WR Chad Ochocinco—5
    7. New England Patriots QB Tom Brady—3
    8. Arizona Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb—3
    9. San Diego Chargers QB Philip Rivers—3
    10. Arizona Cardinals DL Darnell Dockett—2

These are the top ten overrated players in the NFL as voted by the players. I don’t agree with all but please pass this along to 90!!! He’s due for a monster game like 93 had last week.

25. By bluepitt on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Laruso + rio= Idiot!!!!!!!!!! nuf said..

26. By PP21 on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

That’s funny Darren!

Skeleton!

27. By Darren Urban on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Superfuzz –

RE: Old uniiforms

I have not heard any plans along those lines.

28. By BIG RED on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

I’m for Skelton all the way, but I would never wish any harm for any other player. We all have families to support and be there for. Laruso crawl inside a rock and stay there till the season is over.

29. By Matt in Philly on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Yeah, Sam Acho IS playing pretty well. Despite limited playing time, he’s quietly #2 in sacks on the team with three. Cool.

30. By cards62 on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Very well said Tuscon Tim.

Like I said many times before no way all of us would agree on the QB we brought in, and Kolb was not my first or second choice based upon his cost and who we have at OC and QB coaches, but I was excited when we did bring him in, and as a person and competitor I like Kolb now more than when we signed him. I also like Money Mike and A. Wilson and think we have many solid citizens and good guys on our team to root for. I have not given up on Kolb and I do hope he will be the next Kurt Warner, but I just do not like how he is not getting better with us week after week. I also hope John Skelton becomes the next Kurt Warner. I will keep watching ever game this year and hope we win them all, but being realistic I already know this year is over so my thinking is more along the lines of using this year to learn more about our young players and make our team better in 2012. I would like Skelton to play until Kolb is 100% healthy and lets see where the team is at that time. Then lets name a starter but play both depending upon how the games are going.

Go Cards beat the Eagles and 99.9999999999999999999 % of all of us fans want all of you players Cardinals and Eagles to enjoy playing the game and come out healthy.

31. By BigCARDSdaddy on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been a fan of this team since the Jim Hart days. I was really hoping that 08 and 09 were not fluke years. Can someone please tell me why I shouldn’t think we’re still the Cardinals of old. I want desparately for our beloved CARDINALS to win and win big, but as a long time fan, it’s very hard not to revert back to the old state of mind…GO CARDINALS.