Campbell’s contract scenario

Posted by Darren Urban on November 10, 2011 – 6:23 pm

Calais Campbell is coming off one of his best games of the season, but even the defensive end himself admitted, “A lot of times I didn’t play as well as I could have. I feel like I could play so much better.”

Campbell has a team-high five sacks, although it’s worth noting 4.5 of those came in two games, against the Seahawks and the Rams. That said, the 25-year-old has been playing good football, getting quarterback pressures and blocking field goals. While both he and the coaches want to see him up his game, his effort can’t be lost. Campbell can’t be lost either. That’s why Campbell’s contract — which runs out after the season — will only gather steam as a topic.

General manager Rod Graves said earlier this season the team wants to address it, although Campbell — below pictured doing his “home run” sack celebration — said Thursday “we haven’t really started talking to anybody yet, so I’m just trying to play football.”

Campbell’s defensive linemate, Darnell Dockett, was acting as Campbell’s PR firm Thursday. “We need to (re-sign him), and I trust Rod Graves and the organization, they’ll do right by Calais,” Dockett said. “He’s young and is a good leader. He’s only got upside. I don’t think he’s fully developed into his body, to be honest. Another 10 pounds, that dude will be walking around like a gorilla around here.”

Campbell reiterated his contract is something he can’t control. Talking to him, it’s certainly not something that seems to be weighing on him. Asked if he wants to get something done before the end of the season, Campbell admitted “I don’t know what the best scenario is.” Free agency is attractive, although Campbell would probably be the Cards’ top candidate for the franchise tag, if it came to that. (A quick aside: In my opinion, I don’t think it will.)

Dockett, who signed his own extension in 2010, doesn’t want Campbell or anyone of that ilk to go anywhere.

“When you are trying to develop a championship team, you can’t just let guys leak out of here,” Dockett said. “We are trying to get back to the Super Bowl and be a powerhouse team, we can’t just work together, we also have to have the guys here, the weapons to get that done.”

Tags: ,

34 Responses to “Campbell’s contract scenario”

1. By cards62 on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Thank you for all the great articles and addressing our questions You have been very busy lately and we appreciate that you have not left us to go on vacation during the season.

When was the last time the Cardinals played well on the road with a 1 PM EST start? I honestly can not remember, and why do you think we have such a problem with 1 PM Eastern Time Zone starts.

What do you think of Patrick Peterson future at CB for the Cardinals? Do you see him being a pro bowl player or as others have suggested do you see him being moved to safety?

Now to this article, I think CC is playing well this year and I think CC and DD would be having much much better years if we played a 4-3 defense.

Upsets me that no talks are going on with CC, but I am not surprised as our front office has been on vacation for a long long time.

Go Cards beat Eagles

2. By in fitz we trust on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

i hope like HECK! we dont let another great young player leave, especially with pass rushing being such an issue with our team, our d line is shaping nice with docket an campell, all we need is dan williams to up his level an our d-line would be stout. PLEASE DONT PULL A ROLLE OR A DANSBY ON CAMPELL!!!

3. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

This seems like Antonio Smith, redux.

4. By wayne on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Darre,
    If these guys (Dockett, Campbell) are so good, Why has the defense been so bad the last 5 years? This is with Wilson, Dansby, Roll, DRC, Pace, etc.
    I am not trying to be sarcastic, I really would like to know, don’t we and haven’t
    have talented players here? or maybe we don’t. I am sutch a Cards fan I think that theyre all good talented players.

P.S, I know it’s a difficult ?

Thanks, Wayne

5. By cardsalltheway on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Adam Caplan(NFL Reporter) says the Cardinal defense is improving while mentioning Acho and Schofield. He also says “John Skelton was terrific last week, stands tall at 6’5 etc…” Cardinal talk begins at 4.00 of 11 minute video.

6. By CJ on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

calias cambell, sam acho, obrian schofield, darly washington, dan williams and nick carter and PP and Toler and jefferson are the young guys this defense needs to grow around and build around as long as they continue to grow and perform

7. By Canadian Red Bird on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

This is a no brainer Graves; sign the big man. He and PP were the keys to our win over the Rams.

8. By Zero on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

We NEED to keep this guy. What Dockett says is right, we can’t afford to just let every single one of our good players to walk away. Bidwell better make it happen after the season ends.

9. By Freddie B on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Pay the man!!

10. By Rich on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

this is an absolute must sign. If they can’t keep CC, it will say alot to me about how the franchise has not grown. It’ll be the end of my season tix. Its not just about CC, its about the culture and true intentions of the ownership. If they do resign him, its quite a positive statement about the direction of the organization.

11. By rio on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

SIGN HIM HE IS A GOOD POKER PLAYER.

12. By Soares20 on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

We had better re sign Calais Campbell I have seen this organization let go of sooooooooooo many great players I can not emphasize enough how many talents they have let walk out the door please Cardinals don’t let him walk too he can turn into something great. If they let him go…….then I don’t even know what to say about this organization.

13. By Wampag on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

D when do you fly in?

14. By nodavis2000 on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

I don’t know WHAT the Cards organization is doing… He’s already got near his total number of sacks in half a season. Do they want other teams to look at him and offer better contracts!?!?!? This dude is a beast. He’s one of our CORE players. Last year, he didn’t play to his full potential, but he’s definitely stepping up now. They best resign him or I know that other teams will be interested in a 6ft-8in FG blocking, sack accruing, big DE.

P.S. I know that his sacks this year are against the Rams and Seahawks, but I’M OK WITH THAT. If he only gets 2+ sacks a game against DIVISIONAL RIVALS, I am more than happy with that kind of production!!! Go Calais, tear off the heads of opposing QBs!!!

15. By Darren Urban on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

cards62 —

RE: Questions
    1) Well, they played pretty well in Baltimore in the first half, when the start time would come into play. It was the second half that did them in, but by then, the kickoff time doesn’t matter.
    2) I see Peterson as a cornerback for a while.

16. By Darren Urban on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

In Fitz —

RE: Rolle/Dansby

Those two situations were totally different. Dansby is the parallel here. Rolle was released only because of a poorly structured rookie contract.

17. By Darren Urban on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Antonio Smith

I liked Antonio, but Calais is a better player.

18. By Darren Urban on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

Wayne —

RE: Good/bad defense

It’s all relative. I think you can have some good players and not be effective as a unit. The offense has struggled mightily. Does that mean Larry Fitzgerald isn’t as good? Or is it just the circumstances?

19. By Darren Urban on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

Wampag —

RE: Philly trip

The team comes in Friday night.

20. By D on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

Sign him up today-solidify the front 3 for many years, then they should look to extend The Hyphen next and Toler if he is healthy….

Darren- I wonder if this is the game we see Peterson used on a trick play on offense….

Also they should throw Bradley out there either in the middle or at OLB, they need for him to be a productive starter…

It’s been fun watching Acho develop into a LB

21. By clssylssy on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

I would hope that “the organization” would start learning from past mistakes in letting good players leave over what amounts to a few bucks (in comparison to the contracts some of the players were given this season). Our team has not done well historically when playing in the cold, and I’m not sure how to prepare for such, short of practicing in a meat locker. This is going to be a difficult game given all the injured key players but I’m hope that youthful enthusiasm will carry from the win over St. Louis. Calais should be especially stoked after last week and with his contract extension approaching. I believe in our players and our coaches and know we can make the most of our assets and win this chess game. The Eagles have their own set of issues but we need to have confidence and show up like we did against the Ravens. I’m not a T.O. fan but what would be the harm of signing him on a limited “probationary” contract to help out the with the rest of the seasons…he’s desperate to play and we could still possibly salvage the season. Is Graves doing ANYTHING to try to sign some of these FA, like the rest of the NFL teams are?

22. By Darren Urban on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Cold

I think it’s supposed to be 60 degrees Sunday. Cold shouldn’t be a problem.

23. By cards62 on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

OMG! Clssylssy

You have left OZ and come over to the Dark Side with most of us. Ha Ha Ha

Things are going to start happening for us now.

Go Cards beat the Eagles

24. By TucsonTim on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

Should have already happened. Just do it. Doesn’t need to be a talking point for the press. Get it done.

25. By R Robles on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

Now thats good to hear I hope its a 5 year deal. Who else on Defence is up this year D?

26. By drummer-1 on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

Good day Darren…

Do you think the team should tell fans every more the team is making or going to make? I think no matter what this team does it’s a no win situation with some..

27. By Jack Trout on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

@ clssylssy

Haha you made me laugh. Graves do anything after pre-season? hahahaha. He goes out to a fancy restaurant every night ordering filet mignon on that nice big salary he gets. That’s all he’s doing.

28. By Darren Urban on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

R Robles —

RE: Contracts

I would have to look it up, but off the top of my head, I can’t think of anyone pressing.

29. By Darren Urban on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

drummer —

RE: Moves to make

I think that comes down to the team, but I think the questions should be asked.

30. By Rugbymuffin on Nov 12, 2011 | Reply

WOW.

I really want Rod Graves’ job. Sit around on my butt all day, sign people nobody else wants, and let talent walk out the door year, after year, after year.

I wish I could get paid a high salary to fail at my job.

So, where do we think Campbell will land ? I think if the Raiders signed him, they would take over the AFC West.

31. By Imacafan on Nov 12, 2011 | Reply

Darren;

In the article you said “A quick aside: In my opinion, I don’t think it will” in referring to needing to tag CC. Is this a “gut feeling” or based on something else? In my opinion this will show us if this is the “same old” or “new and improved” Cardinals….

32. By Darren Urban on Nov 12, 2011 | Reply

Imacafan —

RE: CC opinion

Just a gut. But I think the team understands the need to keep him. And I think Calais wants to be here.

33. By cheesebeef on Nov 12, 2011 | Reply

Why in your opinion haven’t they even started talking for? What is Rod Graves waiting for? Is he hoping that the second half of the season is a little worse for Calais so he won’t cost as much because that seems to be the only reason this idiotic franchise wouldn’t have gotten on this a month ago.

Scott

34. By Darren Urban on Nov 12, 2011 | Reply

cheese —

RE: Talks

I have no idea. At this point, the franchise has decided to say very little about contract talks, whether it is to me or to Kent Somers, other than to say talks will happen.

I will say this: contracts, in reality, don’t take long. Any length has to do with one side not happy with what the other side wants. In terms of an actual deal, it can come together relatively quickly. Anytime there has ever been a “drawn-out” contract negotiation, usually it means there is a general stalemate. Not a whole lot of actual “talking” going on.