Toler grinds away at rehab

Posted by Darren Urban on November 10, 2011 – 9:28 am

It’s driving Greg Toler crazy that he can’t play football.

“Seeing the guys play on Sunday, man, it’s killing me,” said the rehabbing cornerback, who tore knee ligaments during a preseason game against San Diego. “But the Man Above doesn”t make mistakes. It’s just a minor setback for a major comeback.”

Toler was set to be a starter for the Cards. At the time of his injury, it was rookie Patrick Peterson that was sitting on the bench as the third corner — veteran Richard Marshall was the fourth — but it’s probably safe to assume by this time Peterson and Toler would have been the starters given the struggles of A.J. Jefferson (Marshall replaced Jefferson in the starting lineup last week).

Toler said he is out of his brace and has been working in the pool, talking to renowned surgeon Dr. James Andrews regularly. Toler said Andrews said he’s a couple weeks ahead of schedule given what he is doing.

That said, Toler added coaches have told him not to rush. On injured reserve, obviously Toler has time.

“I was trying to push it, get to two-a-days (with rehab),” Toler said. “They are like, ‘It’s not a good thing you got hurt, but you are lucky you got hurt when you did. As long as your ready by camp (in 2012).’ “

Tags:

13 Responses to “Toler grinds away at rehab”

1. By Chris Robot on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the update. G. Toler is someone that I was looking forward to see develop this season and I can’t wait for next season when he lines up opposite of PP21.

Keep up the good work Toler! Stay healthy bud.

2. By AZ Fan in WA on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Obviously could have used him this year. He is the best all around corner we have, including PP. By far the best tackler. Strong blitz and good in coverage too. Thanks for the update…

3. By Austin on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Glad to see he’s working hard, I can’t wait to see him next year. He is a good physical corner who will benifit from having PP21 on the other side.

4. By Rugbymuffin on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Good to see Toler feelijng better.

Any chance on seeing an article or blub on Calais Campbell ?

Or are we prepping for his departure ?

5. By Darren Urban on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Rugby —

RE: Campbell

I will do a note or blog post. But I just did a story on him a little over a month ago. Nothing has changed yet. Team was already saying they were going to try and extend him later this season.

6. By Nick Pepe on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

What a great attitude. Said, and means, all the right things. I like where the D is headed. Has it been shaky, yes. But signs of late pointing upward. D has plenty of speed and youth. The young guys are making plays, getting their names called if you will.

Can’t wait for the Friday before.

Can’t wait for this weekend.

Bring on the dream team.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime member

7. By Louisville Card on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren, nice article as always. I was wondering how Williams has been progressing? Has there been any news?

I was also wondering what’s up with heap seems to be another major disappointment like Bradley. Do you think they cut ties after the season is over with both guys? I’m not sure how many year’s were on his contract or if they would take a cap hit if they didn’t bring him back.

8. By Darren Urban on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Williams/Bradley

1) http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/The-Other-Back-On-The-Mend/ea304bc3-6c75-43d6-87bf-682bfe2164f3

2) I am not sure why Bradley is struggling, but no, I don’t see him being cut.

9. By LB on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

We sure could’ve used him this year. That’s life though and hopefully he comes on strong next year. This always left me a bit curious, but do you see Toler as a guy who may make the transition to free safety eventually? He seems to have the skill set for that position, even if he is a bit undersized.

10. By Peter in Canada on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Good news about Toler. His injury was devastating given the trade of DRC. It caused us to force feed two rookies instead of one with predictable results. Hopefully next year with his return, we will be that much stronger at CB.

11. By Darren Urban on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

LB —

RE: Toler as FS

I see him at corner. Doesn’t, to me, have the size for safety.

12. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 10, 2011 | Reply

Playing a revisionist devil’s advocate, but if Toler wasn’t injured,would have the Cards still won only two games?
    I mean, was it a blessing or a curse for Peterson to be playing early in the season, when more than likely, under the Whiz rookie rules, he wouldn’t be starting until right about now.

13. By cardsalltheway on Nov 11, 2011 | Reply

Can you name any CB’s who have come back to start the next year after an ACL injury. For that matter, is there any getting significant playing time on any team?
    If Toler returns to the starting line-up, he’ll return at a reduced performance level. There has been a study done on NFL players(WR’s and RB’s) and the ACL injury. I’d think that CB’s would have a more difficult time returning than WR’s and RB’s. For those players who returned to NFL action following an ACL injury, performance fell by one-third.
    “Knee pain, stiffness, loss of strength, deconditioning and reduced proprioception (the sense of knowing where your leg is) may be factors explaining the loss of production in players after an ACL injury,”

The NY Giants had two CB’s that went down with ACL injuries this year.