Talking QB, Feely, Keith

Posted by Darren Urban on November 14, 2011 – 9:14 pm

Wrapping up the night with some quick thoughts that I meant to get to earlier:

–I’ve written this quite a few times, but so many are asking (and continue to ask) I’ll just throw some of my personal thoughts on the QB situation. (That way, next time someone asks, I can just post this link.) I think John Skelton has played some good football. I think he is the first to admit he hasn’t played good football. He did a series of interviews today and said, over and over, he believes Kevin Kolb is still the starter and certainly, coach Ken Whisenhunt hasn’t said any different.

Kolb hasn’t even practiced. He could this week, but I want to see it first. Even if he does, here is what I would do (DISCLAIMER: My opinion here): Skelton would start in San Francisco. All due respect to the Rams and Eagles, dealing with the 49ers’ defense would be a major test. One of the great hypotheticals out there right now in this whole debate, in my head, is how Kolb would have done against St. Louis and Philly, and on the flip, how Skelton would have done against the highly ranked defenses of Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

Former Cards QB Kurt Warner went on the radio today — XTRA 910 — and reiterated yet again that, in Whiz’s offense, it takes at least a year in which to become comfy. Skelton had that year (although he is still learning). Kolb obviously has not. Again, my opinion, I want to give Kolb that year. Skelton isn’t going anywhere. It’s not like you can’t afford to keep both around, regardless of who is starting. You can’t afford not to.

– Whisenhunt said he was “disappointed” that kicker Jay Feely missed two field goals Sunday. In case you weren’t sure, just watch the video — after the second one, Whiz clearly let Feely know of his disappointment. But Monday, Whisenhunt said “I’m not worried about Jay.” The game would have been less stressful with the makes, Whiz added, but “I’m not down on Jay.”

– That same knee that right tackle Brandon Keith had repaired last season is continually giving him trouble. Whisenhunt said Keith will get checked out, but that’s a few times Keith has had to leave the game with that knee issue. He’s struggled and it’d be interesting to know how much could be attributed to the injury.

– Texans QB Matt Schaub has a lis franc injury, possibly ending his season. What does that mean? Matt Leinart will take over the reins of a 7-3 team that is in control of its division. The Texans have a favorable schedule, a great run game and a good defense. I was surprised Leinart passed up a chance to sign with Seattle this offseason and possibly become the starter. It worked out for him. It will be interesting to see how life in Houston plays out with Leinart as QB.

Tags: , , , , ,

51 Responses to “Talking QB, Feely, Keith”

1. By Born n Bred on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

I resepcet Waners’ game, but ill say this. It did not take him a year to learn the system, he had it down when he was brount in like Tebow in college for Leak to run a no huddle O. IT WOULD have taken him a year to learn DENNY GREENs offense, for sure. Just like it would have taken him time in NY as well to learn that O, thats not his style of play. I liked Leinart and thought he had a good rookie year (06 under Green). Whiz had somewhat of a style O for Leinart in the beginnig but that did not last long when Kurt took over for good. The only reason they had a somewhat reasonalbe run game during 07 and 08 was because we had EDGE who would have bemoaned, if the carries were not suffiecient. My main thing is Coaches need to adapt

2. By tom watson on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I thought that the reason for going after Kolb because he was the savior been under the great Andy Reed, we would not have to develop a QB. Now you, and you made it clear just your opinion that it will take a year, because Kurt said so. I’m confused, The word was we need to sign someone who can win now. But he needs a year!!!!! Sorry Darren I just don’t think you give John enough credit.

3. By liz on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

I like Skelton,saw him play my Broncos in Denver a year or so ago. I liked what I saw. He really has some good skill, and with training and time, I think he will be a very good QB.
    Now, don’t jump me, I like Kolb too. I thought it was a very good idea to bring him here. It’s all about melding with the team,the playbook etc. I get that.
    Right now, in my humble opinion, Skelton should be the starting QB for the rest of the season.

4. By Procen on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Kurt that it takes a year to be comfortable with the offense but Skelton did not have a year to play. Being a rookie last year is just a learning year for John with only four starts at the end of the seasoned. Kolb has problem getting rid of the ball before the pocket collapse. Why? Because he is having problem reading the Defense. Lets compare it to Derek Anderson, which did not have a year to play before getting bench for Max and John. Look at Cincinnati Bengals it has a rookie with a cookie in his mouth and plays a lot better than Kolb. This is only my opinion and I want your thought on this.

5. By Ryan Ho on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

So it looks like the whole situation will take the whole of 2011 and 2012 to shake out. By the end of 2012, Kolb will have had enough time to prove himself in this offense (with a full off-season under his belt), and Skelton would have had enough time to develop.

By which time, we will either have one of them as a long-term starter or neither of them work out and we have to look elsewhere (unlikely worst case scenario).

There will no doubt be lots of ups and downs in the process, and both QBs should get significant playing time, but looks like nothing will be set in stone until the whole process is given enough time to play out. We fans will just have to be patient.

I guess it makes sense now that Kolb’s contract was structured such that it really is in fact just a 2-year financial commitment.

6. By snarrfsnarrf on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

hey leinart…..
    i have and always wish the best for you. despite what other people have to say i still believe you can be a great NFL QB
    i am a cardinals fan and wish the best for all and every cardinal player past present and future whether or not they stay, my love bleeds cardinal red and once a bird always a bird
    good luck and may God be with you

7. By ALONEEAGLE on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

I completely understand Whiz’ stance on not benching a player due to injury. I have never agreed with that theory, however that being said, Kolb is obviously still not comfortable with this new offense he is learning,(and no it is not his fault, (lockout), is all I have to say)! Skelton does however know this offense and has proven it the last 2 weeks! They may not have been “pretty” football, but he got the job done, Kinda like future “Hall of Famer” Kurt Warner!! Warner wasn’t always perfect, but he made things happen. I see Skelton doing the same things!! For cryin’ out loud, he has played 6 games as a starter. He is on a two game winning streak. Contrary to current records, and what all the analysts say, team records can be deceiving. Bradford may not be having a stellar season, but he hasn’t had a whole lot to work with. As for the Eagles, ok, so Desean Jackson was benched! This is a team sport. Vick had Celek, Avant and Macklin as well as McCoy, # 1 in the league right now, running back wise!! Cards Defense is looking good, and the Offense isn’t too shabby!! The O-line however really needs to pick it up from what I saw!! This team has a good chance of beating the 9ers, as long as they play good, solid, fundamental football, and no turnovers!! Also get Beanie involved NORTH & SOUTH, no east and west!! Punish that line as well as the LINEBACKERS!!! Let them know wjhou tou really are BEANIE!!! LET’S GO CARDS!!!!!

8. By Darren Urban on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

Procen –

RE: thought on this

See above blog post.

9. By Canadian Red Bird on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

Could you please offer some clarity on the details of Kevin Kolb’s contract. I was surprised to read one of your submissions suggest it might be just the two years that the Cards are obligated to pay, with the final four years being an option. Look forward to your reply

10. By CNelson on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

Re: Kolb not being able to read defences,

I dont know why people seam to think Kolb cant read defences, in actuality its that Kolb doesnt understand what our offence is doing at times, he gets to his first and second reads and gets lost, you can see it in his face and his actions. So realy calling out his ability to read defences tells me you dont understand the possition. When you dont know what your 3rd 4th 5th reads are on a play, you start thinking about the pass rush, ur pass protection and start aiming ur throws to where the reciver is instead of where the play should be going to. Or as we have seen from Kolb he backs out of the pocket or doesnt proporly identify the hot read. All things that will be solved when he doent have to think about the plays, but just knows what it is when he calls it. He needs time to get on the same page as Roberts, ive seen multiple post again this year calling him a bust, he is actualy a great reciver, just doent have the chemistry with Kolb they need in order to trust each other fully. I seen in Kolb all the same ability that Rogers has… I dont know why people have to be reminded Rogers was horrid his first year as a starter.

So no humble pie for me, i said give them half the season and look at where our defence is at now! Gotta Love the new scheme, Vick had no idea WTH was going on 90% of the game…

I know alot of ppl have been bashing Horton for no reason, and saying the Steelers are better without him… Yea Sure.. Thats why they are just barly an above average defence this year, They get passed on now that the corners are in press alot, so they get tourched and when the Rbs get past the first wave its all on (usualy just one because Palamalu is all over the damn place) the safties.

So Bring on the 49ers, they have always had a good defence and honistly, I believe they are not as good as they were last year with some of the peices they let leave. If we can stop the run, it will be far to easy to confuse Smith. The 49ers are great at stoping the run and not so good at stoping the pass, good thing we have won the last 2 games without running the ball as well as we had been earlier in the season. Imagin if we actualy are able to run the ball on them like they did to us all thoes years, would be nice to see the tables turn. We get the victory over SF im predicting 1 of 2 things, either NFC West crown or a Play-off birth via Wild card.

11. By Derek_P on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

Lets play out a quick scenario, a little bit later down the road a decision has to be made on Kolb and his future with the Cards. Now lets say his level of play remains about even with Skelton (short of the W’s the pass completion and yards have been about the same). I’m the kind of guy that if you have two identical products and one costs less you take the less expensive product and in this case that means dumping Kolb. What in the world can we do with him? Personally I think he might be a victim of his own success because there doesn’t appear to be a lot of options. A trade would be the best for the Cards and for Kolb but no one would want to trade for him and absorb the contract. That said that leaves cutting him but then the Bidwells are still on the hook for millions in guaranteed money I’d guess and I don’t think they’d like that. It’d be nice but the difference in costs between Kolb and Skelton could go a long way in either improving our O-Line (sorely needed ) or pushing our D to the elite level with re-signing Campbell, and coming up Daryl Washington.

12. By Chris on Nov 14, 2011 | Reply

I believe in Whiz and i know the Cards gave up alot for Kolb but Skelton is clearly a better qb and Whiz needs to see that. I understand that Kolb need to be in this offense for a year to understand it, but Skelton gives the Cards the best chance to win. He understands the playbook, the team seems to rally around him, and he has made Roberts and Doucet both number 2’s under Fitz. All thing Kolb hasen’t. And if Whiz wants to go Steelers-West, why not go with the qb who, let’s face it, looks a little like Big Ben when he plays. I thought the Cards should have looked a little more at Skelton before the trade and i still do. And another thing, Kolb throws to hard and trys to throw straight at a reciever and that leads to tipped up passes and ints. Skelton rainbows his passes and that is what the Cards recievers clearly like.

13. By bluepitt on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Darren, Im feeling a little irony commin, with the Leinart thing!!!!!

14. By in fitz we trust on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

im intrigued to see how leinart does, think im gonna dvr the direct tv for two teams now lol. heres his chance to reserrect his season, who knows, maybe he pulls a matt cassel.

off topic but beanie wells always looks slow? i know hes had injury issues ( his whole career lol ) but it seems like hes only a good short yard runner, he never really makes explosive plays, maybe a 15-20 yarder here an there, but never have i seen him break a huge run for a td. and most importantly he lacks great agility… Im curious how ryan williams pans out next.

15. By Soares20 on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

-We are not winning the division people so we have the entire season to test Kolb and Skeleton they both have ups and they both have downs I frankly do not care who the starter is as long as the cards win.
    – let the coaching staff figure it out over the off season and the next seven games. WHINING FOR KOLB OR SKELTON WILL NOT CHANGE ANYTHING so just sit back relax and let these two battle it out, may the best QB win.

16. By dieselbomb on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

I’m not a Kolb hater. But I preferred the Cardinals sign a good veteran QB for the purpose of working closely with Skelton to flesh-out our future QB situation. I thought Skelton showed enough to put the lion’s share of effort behind developing him for the future (which I thought should last no more than two seasons). I still think that way. Skelton has shown some maturity and still looks to be a sound “investment” in the Cardinals future. That said, Skelton still needs some serious polishing and a furthering of his QB education. But he has shown that he can respond and adjust fairly quickly. He has pretty impressive Pocket schmarts, and that seems to be getting better in microscopic steps each game (which is what you’d want to see … improvement under fire). I’m a bit worried about his completion percentage, but don’t complain about it since he’s had less than seven games to show what he’s made of. The real kicker – and it’s a big plus in my book – is that he’s very poised and seems to hold his emotions in check for the purpose of getting the job done. That’s priceless! With a better O-Line and with more in-game experience, I think he’ll be better than “just fine”; I think he’ll be a true Go-To guy and a real team leader.

On the other hand, Kolb has some skills. When he’s finally comfortable with the offense (which as mentioned above, would/should include an upgrade to the O-Line) I think he’ll pan-out as a stout performer. Both guys are Pocket QB’s with pretty darn good ability to scramble. Unless you’re Dan Fouts or Dan Marino, as a QB you need to be able to get out of trouble … that usually means smart running and fleet feet.

17. By ross on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for outlining your opinion rather clearly. Your a swell chap. Keep up the awesome work.

18. By Rugbymuffin on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

The one, and really in my opinion, only point about our QB situation is:

WHY ON EARTH ARE THE CARDINALS DECIDING TO DEVELOP A 27 YEAR OLD QB THAT HAS BEEN IN THE LEAGUE FOR 5 YEARS!!!!!

Kolb is supposed to be a polished product. This “give him time to develp” excuse is ridiculous. He should be polished, and ready to go for the money he is making.

Yeah, John Skelton had a “whole year” to learn the system. As a flippin’ 3rd string rookie who was the 4th string in camp last year and behind the scenes in the Anderson vs. Leinart debacle. Finally, do you really expect us to believe Skelton got a lot of attention before Hall went down last year , with 2 QB’s new to the system in front of him in Anderson and Hall ?

Then there is the lockout.

So, the arguement that Skelton has had more time then Kolb in this system is quite weak in my opinion. Furthermore, Kolb has been in the league 3 FULL years longer than Skelton.

Both seem to be at the same place in the Cardinals system right now, and in my opinion Skelton seems to be better of the two right now.

Are we really going to go with the 27 year old, over the 23 year old ?

Seriously ? It just doesn’t make sense. Kolb was brought in to be a starter, to be polished, and ready to go. After 7 games he didn’t, and does not look to be what the Cardinals expected. The Cardinlas needed to do something at QB, and kudos for them that they pulled it off. But, it didn’t work out as planned, and Skelton is showing promise.

Why compound the mistake by sitting Skelton, who has lead the team to two wins in a row ? Cause the wins were not against “top teams” ? Well, Kolb has lost, and shoulders those loses against worse teams.

Just doesn’t make sense to this fan. Not one bit.

19. By Havasu Tom on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Good morning Darren,
    I agree with you that a start for Skelton in San Fransisco would be a great test. Something that nobody has mentioned in the media, Skelton had scoring drives following both of is interceptions. That shows me he has the ability to put mistakes behind him.
    If John plays well in S.F. we may have a QB situation again. The bottom line in my mind is play the players that WIN!

20. By AJW on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Heh Heh heh………see above post……..heh heh heh!

21. By Cassie on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Agree, agree, agree with your comments. Kurt Warner’s also!

22. By Paul H on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Last time I checked, it still gets pretty breezy in Candlestick Park or whatever it’s called. This game could come down to the end. John Lott should be on Feely this week to ” get your mind right”

23. By Peter in Canada on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

I can understand what you are saying re the QB situation Darren but that does not mean the fans should not have concerns and preferences. One of the criticisms about Kolb in Philly was a tendency to panic and get happy feet when his primary and secondary receivers were covered. He has not improved in that area. Also his best games as a Card were the first two games of the season. Since then he has been awful with the exception of the Pitt game.
    Skelton on the other hand has shown definite improvement over last year.
    People are saying Skelton has more time in the system. Last year Skelton for most of the season was the third string QB getting no reps in practice. Darren, my question is does being a third string QB really mean much in terms of experience?

24. By Darren Urban on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Canadian —

RE: Kolb deal

I’d have to track down the the numbers, but bottom line, you are right — they could in theory let him go after a couple of years. His salary, I believe, is about $10M a year from ’13-’16. Not guaranteed, of course, just like most NFL deals.

25. By Darren Urban on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Peter —

RE: 3rd string

No, Skelton got very little work if any as the third stringer. And perhaps I overstated it, because Skelton didn’t get a full year like a starter would. But he has been absorbing this system since April of 2010, compared to Kolb, who didn’t get a playbook until a couple of days before training camp 2011.

26. By Peter in Canada on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Darren – Thanx for the answer. I figure that from your answer that real experience is operating within the playbook in game time speed. In that regard their real experience with the system at practice and games is close to the same

27. By NorthenCard on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

I haven’t had a chance to look closely enough at the last two games but were the Rams and Philly defenses stacking up to stop Bennie and therefore opening up some opportunities in the passing game? Skelton has looked pretty good these last two games but it also seems the oline has been giving him a little more time and Bennie has been quite a bit less productive. Just wondering if a change in how teams are defending our offense could have something to do with the discrepancies we’re seeing with the production level of the two QBs.

-NC

28. By Chris Robot on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

All these people calling for Skelton to be the starter.. what are you going to do if Skelton and the team skids again down an icy 8 game losing streak with Skelton at the helm? BARTEL! BARTEL! — C’mon now..

We have Kolb here and if he’s healthy, he needs to be starting to get more time/reps in the offense. We won’t know what we truly have with Kolb until at minimum, next season. Skelton is not high priced and he will be here a few more years at least. Let’s see what we have in Kolb and develop Skelton in the background. Realistically, unless the 49ers start losing the rest of their games, our playoff hopes are shattered. I don’t even think we can get to Wild Card right now but hey, anything is possible.. regardless, we have to see what Kolb has.

As long as the Defense keeps playing like they have, the Offense whether driven by Kolb or Skelton has some margin for error. However small that may be.

29. By Darren Urban on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Peter —

RE: Experience

Well, when it comes to knowing reads and the like, some are better with the book and some need it on the field. To say practice is “close” might be a reach, because you never have to worry about getting hit in practice.

30. By Darren Urban on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

NorthenCard —

RE: Defenses vs Skelton

Well, I think the biggest difference is that the Ravens and Steelers defenses — the last two Kolb faced — are simply better than the Rams and Eagles. That makes an impact, I believe. Beanie has been a little less productive, but I think that has to do with his knee and some blocking issues.

31. By Chuck 1 on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Hard for me to understand all of the optimism by some fans who think that the Cards will go 8-8 or better and either win the NFC West or a Wild Card berth.

The Cards still play the 49ers twice and the Seahawks (who beat the Cards and beat the Ravens last weekend).

Also, two of the Cards wins have been against the Rams and Eagles, neither of whom are good teams.

32. By Peter in Canada on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Darren – Thanx for taking the time to give me the heads up. One final point unless they were reading on a crosswalk nobody got hit reading a playbook either LOL.

33. By CORMAC on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

I say Ride the Skelton pony until it comes up lame, then Kolb can have his chance again. I hope he does good against the niners. I like both quarterbacks to be honest, but Skelton had been much more entertaining. What ever the reason, he is coming up with some wins. Everyone knows how fickle luck is…Dont jynx us by taking Skelton out too soon. Let him run his course.

34. By GW on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

People stop making excuses for kolb you dont give a qb 60 million to come in and take a year off to learn this off. c’mon on mann in that case they should call DA back he only had 1 year. why give up a draft pick, starting cb and 60 mil it doesn’t make sense the cards org. expected kolb to come in and lighted up. remember kolb was in reid system for 5 years because he could not beat out mcnabb or vick. .you know even warner had to prove he can play before he got his payday with the cards i’m not hating on kolb but if he dont know the off. then he should be the backup and fight for the job in training camp next year. SKELTON only played 4 games last year he learn the off. on the sideline remember max hall was the 2nd string so skelt. paid his dues know he’s the best qb for the job right know like mike lombardi said on nfl network “if the cards dont start skelton they are NUTS”.

35. By BIG RED on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

It just seems that this organization doesn’t want Skelton to succeed. Excuses,Excuses,Excuses for Kolb just makes me sick. Darren, I know you have to do what the team says, well understood, that’s your job nothing against you. This organization is starting to go backwards, just like Kolb does in the games. Stick with Skelkton you won’t regret it. Remember, same offensive line that kolb had, what? one year of beening with the team. That’s a bunch of bull!!!!!

36. By Jon L. on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

I agree with you on Skelton here. Also, I think Leinart will not do too badly because the Texans have a pretty good defense this year and they have Foster and Tate. You have to think that defenses will focus on shutting down the run, which leaves some throws for Leinart to make. Hopefully for the Texans, Johnson comes back soon….that would be like the Cards losing Fitzgerald.

37. By CreditCard on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Your “disclaimer”, please add that you are an employee of the Cardinal organization, and you are told certain things to write.

38. By Nate on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Does any one else have a sick feeling about Leinart? If he does good, people are going to become upset with the front office and give haters more fuel for the fire. Sick to hope for any ones failure.

39. By Darren Urban on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Mullikin —

RE: Told to write

I am an employee. I am not told to write anything. You can believe that or not. But I’m not. I wouldn’t have taken this job if it would have meant just being a mouthpeice, or if I would have had to submit my stuff to be approved everytime (which writers on some team sites have to do). I find it interesting that, if I have a certain opinion that disagrees with someone out there, it must be because I am forced too.

Kent Somers and Mike Jurecki hold similar thoughts on the QB situation. You accusing them of anything?

40. By APCARDS on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

I think this is working out well-let Skelton play until Kolb is 100% healthy. Then test the waters again wtih Kolb but keep SKelton in the mix or devlop packages for him. I truly think Kolb also needs a mental beak from the game and this may be a blessing in disguise for Skelton, Kolb and the Cardinals as a whole. Now both QB’s will get more real-game experience or rest-whichever each may need. I think people downplay the mental aspect and pressure of this game and these are young people. I am certain they listen to the media-there is really no escape from it these days. We are winning and team morale is up. Keep it positive! GO CARDS be the 49er’s!!!!

41. By BIG RED on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Hey Chris, they are not called rainbow passes. It takes know how, put a little bit of touch in them. He even looks like Johnny Unitas with that #19. Chris, I did like the rest of what you said.

42. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

When Kurt says he believes it takes a year to get comfy in Whiz’s offense, do you think he meant getting comfy by sitting on the bench for an entire season or by being on the field and running the offense for 16 games?

Skelton would have sat on the bench all of last year if it weren’t for injuries, but he was 2-2 as a starter. Now he’s 4-2 as a starter. Kolb has played more games as a starter with Whiz and is 1-6.

With that in mind, how do you conclude that Skelton has had his “year” in Whiz’s offense (unless you’re including bench time, in which case Kolb is getting just as much experience by injured and missing the same games that Skelton is starting)?

43. By cardfan on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Ugh again with you people tearing down Whiz and Kolb. Skelton has looked good against two teams that AREN”T GOOD, and the Card defense has also started to play like a unit with consistency at the same time as Skelton’s start. So all of that taken into account the kid looks good but how would have Kolb done against the Rams and Eagles with a defense finally working. Kolb has potential to be good but time will tell NO and I mean NO rookie quarterback has a brilliant first year. Again Rodgers was crappy his first year lead the packers 6-10! And we beat them in the playoffs the following year, but now he’s one of best qb’s to play the game. It takes time people. And leinart Shmienart he’ll premadonna it up in texas too(with no output as well). The Whiz is an awesome coach and the best thing to happen to AZ in forever, have we forgotten that he took this team where nobody ever thought they would go or ever could go? The team is rebuilding .. that’s just the way it is. And it’s okay all teams rebuild from time to time. We don’t need a rock star qb right now we need a system with a strong foundation that will be a dynasty for the next few years. And you all should be cheering for Kolb and Skelton to be amazing 1 because we paid alot for it and 2 because the smart play would be to trade one them for a sweet deal like philly got for Kolb. Ease up people don’t get sucked into this immediate gradification sink hole and start thinking about the cards being a dynasty.

44. By wsphxcardsfan on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Otis,

If you bothered to listen to the interview yourself you might learn that Warner was talking about spending a year in general learning the offense. Skelton was drafted by Wiz and experienced an offseason, preseason, and regular season last year. Kolb arrived in late July, less than four months ago. I repeat less than four months ago.

If you still need someone to explain to you why there is a difference in comfort levels between the two QBs, then you are either being dishonest or need to be prohibited from using sharp eating utensils.

That being said, I still believe Kolb will be at least a very good QB. So if Skelton were to beat out Kolb for the starting position, wow, that means we still got a superb gunslinger at the helm. IE, the team is in a great and exciting position going forward.

BTW Funny how back to back victories have managed to sooth our collective misery for the time being.

45. By Chuck 1 on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

CreditCard,

Most posters don’t believe that Darren parrots the party line.
    We think that he tries to be fair and balanced.

46. By clssylssy on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I agree that Kolb has been shorted by this out-of-the-box mentality our fans seem to have when instead they should be listening to people with actual knowledge like the Coaches and Kurt Warner. Kolb was expected to “unlearn” Andy Reid’s offense at the same time he was stepping onto the field with Coach Whisenhunt’s totally mastered. Get Real! As important as competency at the QB position should be consideration for playing somebody who is 100% healthy. These guys face enough in just playing the position and then you add the fact that they are brutally knocked around and fans wonder why they aren’t perfect. There are worse QBs than Kolb and given time he could work into “the guy”. I have always liked Skelton and think we are fortunate to have some depth at that position now. Getting rid of Rackers was, in my opinion, another boneheaded move by the office but now Texas has both him and Leinert…LOL! I wish them both the best and could see this coming!

47. By Louisville Card on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren, nice article as always. I tend to agree with your points, but my question, a little of topic is. What is the deal with Heap? Is he really hurt or has he done something that we haven’t heard about? It seems like that hamstring has taken a really long time to heal. There has to be something going on we haven’t heard right? There also can’t be any way we bring him back next year is there? Thanks for your thoughts Darren.

48. By Darren Urban on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Heap

He is injured, and unfortunately, that’s been a pattern for him in recent seasons.

49. By Darren Urban on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Heap

No, he is just injured with the bad hamstring and it’s not responding (I guess; it might have been worse that expected). Unfortunately, he has been pretty banged up in recent years.

50. By J K on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

CNelson: Brother you need to ease up on the Cards pipe. You said that Aaron Rodgers was horrid his first year as a starter. Since when is a 93 QB Rating with over 4,000 yards and 28 touchdowns horrid??? Man I wouldn’t want to be a QB playing for you with those kinds of demands.

Steelers are missing Ray Horton? When they’re #2 in the league in Total Yards allowed? Despite missing their two star outside linebackers in several games (Harrison, Woodley) They’re still putting up sack after sack and winning games. Ray Horton was the DB coach at Pittsburgh and they’re actually getting better play out of Ike Taylor this year than in any year previous BECAUSE they’re letting him bump and run. Something Horton wouldn’t let him do but something he is suited for. BTW, the main responsibility of DB’s, the passing game, yeah well without Ray Horton they’re #3 in the league in pass yds allowed per game. So I’d say no, the Steelers are not missing Ray Horton as you put it. They’re most definitely not middle of the pack defense this year, either. The only thing they’re lacking in on defense is the turnover differential. In which they’re doing horribly.

By the way, turnover differential is something the Cardinals aren’t doing that great in and coming up against SF we’re facing the #1 team in the league in turnover diff. So yeah, big game. Also- you said you don’t think the 49ers are as good as they were last year. Well I’d like to know what kind of warped logic that is? They’re the #2 team in the league this year. They’re like 9-1 or something??? How does that equate? Please elaborate. Just because you think something doesn’t make it true man haha

I totally agree with you when you say that from what we can see Kolb just doesn’t know the offense as well as he needs to. It is painfully obvious to me as well that he’s really lacking when it comes to looking for those open windows from his 2nd and 3rd option. I’m willing to give him time, but I don’t know if other Cards fans are. Only reason I felt the need to make this post was because I wanted to clear up that the Steelers D is the least of their problems (Mostly offensive problems for them- like giving up 31 sacks) and this notion that somehow Aaron Rodgers was horrid his first year. Guy was absolutely lights out.

51. By Darren Urban on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

JK/C Nelson —

RE: Horton in Pittsburgh

Let’s just get one thing straight with Horton in Pittsburgh, and it works both ways. He was the defensive backs coach. He wasn’t the DC there. I don’t know how it went for him working with his group, but, for instance, if Ike Taylor is bumping-and-running or whatever (I don’t know and frankly don’t care) it’d be because LeBeau has decided to let him/ not let him. It wouldn’t have been Horton’s call either way. To overemphasize what Horton’s impact was in Pitt one way or the other isn’t fair.