• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Kolb expects to give practice a go Wednesday

Posted by Darren Urban on November 15, 2011 – 4:19 pm

In the midst of all the quarterback discussion, Kevin Kolb said during his weekly radio show on XTRA 910 that he went on the field briefly today to test out his bad right foot and that he planned to try and practice Wednesday on a limited basis — at least attempt to do some individual drills. He is admittedly frustrated with his injuries, saying that it seems to improve for three or four days and then there is a “lull.” After another few days, soreness creeps in that he thought would be gone by now.

His attempt to go on the field Tuesday– in tennis shoes, but taped up like he’d go into a game — went OK. “It was about where I thought I would be,” he said after taking some drops although he acknowledged the injury would still “grab” him whenever he moved a lot. He is hurting on three different spots in his foot, Kolb said, and it prevents him to compensate for the turf toe on his plant foot.

In the meantime, Kolb said he hasn’t had any conversations with coach Ken Whisenhunt about his starting position (Of course, why would he at this point) and that he is rooting for Skelton (“He has done a great job and I am happy for him”) and the team, enjoying this two-game winning streak as much as anyone. It hurt, understandably, to not be able to play in Philadelphia — although he said he was bellowing tips to the defense from the sidelines some of the times the Eagles were on offense.

He wants to play again, though. “I am just anxious to get back on the field and prove what I can do,” Kolb said.

Tags:

42 Responses to “Kolb expects to give practice a go Wednesday”

1. By Gilbert on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

He needs to get something going or else he’s job is onthe line my view is if Skelton wins and kolb keeps struggling in the offence the rest of the year
    The Cards may decide to go with Skelton Who knows. Sound interesting

2. By James W. on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

There are a few things i would like to say on the Kolb/Skelton subject. First and formost I’d like to say “WOW!” how about the “D”!!!!! They seem to be really bringing it the past 2 sundays. Now the Qbacks. Both players I really like and support. The only difference that Iam seeing is that Skelton is making the plays at the end of games. The times that Kolb has had the ball in do or die situations it seems that instead of making a play he makes mistakes. Dont get me wrong Im not knocking Kolb by no means. He plays hard and is very competetive and seems to have control of the huddle. Seven games and im not seeing the timing between him and his recievers. I also dont see him comfortable in the pocket. He never seems to have his feet set. Well okay thats enough of my thinking. what do you think Darren?? your the coach. what do you do???? Anyway Im looking forward to going to the 49ers game on 12/11. Im coming from Rio Rancho, NM so Im praying that they keep building on the way they are playing!!! V ERY PROUD TO BE A CARDINALS FAN!!!!!!! GOOOOOO CARDS!!!!!

3. By paul on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Leave Skelton in–doing a good job and not afraid—Kolb just runs away—why not go and hire Kurt Warner as an advisior and have him mentor Skelton???? Seems Kurt is so far the only QB that understood what is WHiz is trying to do

4. By AZLOGAN on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Kolb has to prove what he’s got or he’s gonna be out of a job! Skelton could be the longterm answer we’ve been looking for. I do like Kolb and I think he’ll improve but if he doesn’t and say Skelton does get the starting job permanently, what do you think the Cards would do with him Darren? Is he worth all the money he’s making to stand on the sidelines or should we deal him away to another team? Again this is all way far in the future but I’d just like to hear your thoughts?
    Thanks
    AZLOGAN

5. By lg on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

i like both QBS but last year kolb killed the 49ers DEF it was one of his best games last year when he was with the eagles cause last year we lost both games to the 49ers so if kolb start dont lose hope if skelton start thats fine to because i feel like we gone win regardless

6. By LUKE on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

man…what ascenario.i figured skelton would be better than we have seen,I figured there might be a scandal but what if skelton wins in sf?then there is controversy.i still think kolb should be the starter when healthy.its simply not fair to bench kolb not even giving him afull year(also without training camp)considering how much we paid him.he needs the same time skelton has had.does skelton play very similar to big ben or is it just me??????hmmm

7. By NJAZCardsFan on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

The Cards seemed “energized” when Skelton is the QB.The two keys to Skelton getting better is the O-Line actually blocking and he has to learn to look for the second and third receivers instead of forcing the play. I would love to see Slelton beat the 49′ers in SF. The defense not only made the plane but played rather well. It was nice to see Jefferson get the pick to seal the win.

8. By steve on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

why are people comparing skeltons only 2 starts this season to all of kolbs totall. be faire. compare kolbs to skeltons two starts this season. kolb beats him both times

9. By Matthew on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

i really hope it works out here for kolb, i personally like the guy. Skelton knows this offense better than Kolb, but i really would need to see more from kolb to just go ahead and give Skelton the starting job. Remember Kolb was in the rougher part of the schedual. Even though im not complaining it was the rams, and the struggling desean jacksonless eagles, so well just have to see what happens

10. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

If Skelton starts, as expected and wins, and Kolb is healthy next week in St. Louis; who IYO starts?
    I know it’s putting the Kolb before the Skelton, but Cards fans wait with bated breath.

11. By Scott H on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Interesting stuff from the Philly area today…turns out, maybe Kolb had a lot more to do with the win in Philly than we might have ever thought! The local sports radio station had Lesean McCoy on, talking about the game on Sunday. They got to talking about Kevin Kolb and McCoy was saying that Kolb was frequently recognizing what the eagles were doing on offense based on the sets they were in and he was yelling out the calls to our defense. According to McCoy, Kolb was right on every time he recognized something! Ya gotta love a guy who does whatever he can to help his team win, even from the sidelines!

12. By georgiebird on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

I did not see much involvement by Kolb on Sunday. But if, as you say, Kolb was a positive force during the Eagles’ game- then more power to him.

13. By Chuck 1 on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

It’s apparent, from Kolb’s comments, that he is not anywhere near 100%.
    IMO, it would be a huge mistake for Whiz to play him AT ALL against the Niners.
    Why should Whiz expose Kolb to a setback?
    Wait until Kolb is fully healed and then start him. If he falters and the Cards are losing, bring in Skelton.

14. By Steve Lee on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

When are the Cards going to deal with Brown letting opposing defenses sack our QBs?

15. By Peter in Canada on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Off topic but I am glad to hear that Ben Graham is back in the league. I was not happy when he was cut.
    I really hope it works out for him because we colonials have to stick together.

16. By TucsonTim on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Happy to see Graham back in the league.

17. By BIG RED on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Kolb please do us a favor and just stay on the bench. You haven’t hurt the team by staying there. Let Skelton do whats his doing without your 2cents. If you want to help, give skelton some of your money next year. So think about restructing your contract don’t be an ——- and give it back.

18. By Karen on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Kolb needs rest, OK we”ll give it to him. But if Skelton can bring it I”m all for it!!

19. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

Kolb,

Take your time coming back. No need to rush. Let Skelton do the job while you heal properly. Once you are 100% then come back on the field. A lot of money was spent on you. Don’t be foolish and disappoint. Oh sorry, you already have done that. lol. Regardless, I would like to see you succeed with this team but you have to be healthy to do it. Skelton is not great, but he knows the offense and he has done enough to get a couple of wins. It can’t hurt to allow him to play until you are really healthy. And I would much rather see a healthy QB going against the niners defense than a hobbled one trying to compete with one leg. Just my thoughts.

20. By Marcos Tucson on Nov 15, 2011 | Reply

and this is just me but I think it’ll be great if there’s a QB controversy by next years camp. I mean if its between 2 QB’s who know the system and can both run it good by then I say we are in heaven. and thats how I think it’ll shape out once Kolb is more comfortable. look what happened with Warner/Leinert I think it will bring out the best in both. both are fierce competitors and it will make that position and our team stronger.

21. By Sebastian on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

In my opinion John Skelton must be the starter QB, because he’s in a great moment (better the Kolb) and i think he could be a franchise QB in the future

22. By kkfan on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

As the old saying goes “”Rome wasn’t build in a day”.. so patience is needed where Kolb is concerned. By both the organization and the fan base. But it doesn’t look like the fans are any more patient in Az then they were in Philly where Kolb is concerned.

Every player (irregardless to their years of experience) will tell you that it is not an over night learning process when going from one form of offense, or defense (depending on the position of the player) . That it takes time to learn the plays, the schemes the team mates tendencies, etc.

Skelton is in his 2nd season with the Cards. He even started 7 games for them last year in their QB carrosel experiment. Thus has the advantage over Kolb, who is as I said new to the team.

23. By Eric Hutchins on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I really Hope he can make it back for the 49ers. Kolb is the future of the cardinals and I am excited about it. you can sense things turning and confidence building. What people see some quick to forget is how close some of those early losses were. This is not a team that is a long way from being good. They are actually very very close.

Proud to be a FAN.

Go Cardinals.

24. By David C. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Can you try to get Coach Whiz’s thoughts on Matt Leinart inheriting the starting job in Houston? That’d be an interesting read.

David C.

25. By Darren Urban on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

James W –

RE: My thoughts on the QB situation

26. By Darren Urban on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Azlogan –

RE: Kolb future

Wow. We are so far down the road people want to know about dumping him?

27. By Darren Urban on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Kolb v Skelton

So disappointed you fell into this trap. I expected better from you.

Here are my thoughts on the QB situation: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2011/11/14/talking-qb-feely-keith/

28. By Phobos on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

This is exactly the problem with Kolb! His plant foot should be his left foot!!!! Who throws accurate balls throwing off the backfoot and why arent coaches working on this with Kolb If anything this should be a good time to get rid of that habbit since he has to plant on left…Oh and stop patting the ball before passes…

29. By Darren Urban on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

David C –

RE: Whiz on Leinart

Why would you care, since you want him fired anyway?

30. By Angela G on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Who cares about Leinheart? he thought he was all it, which is exactly what his problem was. His ego, he refused to set back to be a back up with our team, so he was traded to another team, and got his ego under control, he would have NEVER done it with the Cards. On to the QB situation: Kolb came in convinced he was saving the team, (I believe he had a head injury last season too) no practice time, and and EGO, cause he feels he came from a better team. Any way Skelton well you can tell that man is just damn happy to play he enjoys it, he loves the team, and it SHOWS in the plays. Kolb runs from the game, doesnt trust the O line, and doesnt know how to throw to OUR team, but is great at passing it back to Wells, who we love but ya know. he is our punch threw man. Play Skelton, and let Kolb get settled, see how he is next year. Kolb should be watching the dynamics of when Skelton plays to figure it out,
    Skelton’s earned it, and wants it.

31. By David C. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

LOL, I’m interested in his comments regarding a quarterback he’ll be forever linked to. If Leinart carries Texans to the playoffs, or has any level of success, it’ll only remind Cardinals fans that Whiz was the coach who ran him out of town. There’s a certain level of intrigue tied to his comments, and I’m sure I’m not the only one who wants to read Whiz’s feelings on the subject. As for me wanting Whiz fired, I’m not the only one in the Valley. Two wins don’t wash away two years of coaching missteps and horrendous personnel decisions.

32. By Darren Urban on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

David C –

RE: Whiz/Leinart/comments

Oh, I don’t disagree with anything you said. But it’s pretty ballsy to ask for something when you insist on putting that Facebook link on your comments.

33. By David C. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I’m a ballsy guy, what can I say? I have “moxie”. Maybe I should be brought in for a workout. I hear Whiz evaluates players based on that sort of thing.

Seriously though, when can we expect the story? ;)

David C.

34. By Justin on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Two wins does not make me forget the last two years. I don’t know how Whisenhunt keeps his job with 1-2 more wins, and if Leinart looks good in Houston. Oh wait. Same old Cardinals.

35. By Darren Urban on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

David C –

RE: Request

Glad you’re enjoying yourself.

36. By David C. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@Angela G I agree with you to an extent, except that we never found out if Leinart could “do it” here. He wasn’t given the chance. And now, it’s put up or shut up time for Leinart in Houston. Any success he does have can’t bode well for Whisenhunt, as we continue to have QB troubles.

37. By David C. on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@Darren I always enjoy myself while reading your blog. You’re the best at Cardinals coverage. And as a season ticket holder (Sec. 117), I always keep my phone in my hand to follow your tweets during games.You’re awesome.

I also didn’t think it was too “ballsy” of me to state my opinion here. Coaches come and go, you know that ;)

Cheers,
    David C.

38. By Ndogg on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Leinart could easily win 4 more games for the Texans. If the Texans reach the AFC championship game or Super Bowl with Leinart as QB, I think it’ll have wide reaching consequences especially in Arizona. If KW and Graves finish the year with one or two more wins, any success had by Leinart could be (should be) the nail in the coffin.

39. By EnglishCard on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren, a slightly off topic question, but what’s the overall injury report at the moment?

40. By Craig on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

John Skelton is a better quarterback than Kolb. I liked him when they drafted him and said “he has the biggest arm in the draft”. Big guy with a big arm and not afraid of anything. Just wish the organization would have the wisdom to see our weakness was not at quarterback but the O-line. If you spend the money on lineman your whole offense improves. THE TEAM IS THE LINE. 60 million on the line and where in the Superbowl.

41. By Chuck 1 on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Peter in Canada,

Funny post, you “Colonial”.

Your other posts are spot on.

42. By Darren Urban on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

EnglishCard –

RE: Injury report

http://www.azcardinals.com/gameday/injury-report.html or you can check out the notebook: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Kolb-Skelton-Share-Stage/f135d954-0899-4233-8b04-e6c42fa4057c