Cards bring back the other Skelton

Posted by Darren Urban on November 16, 2011 – 10:31 am

The Cardinals re-signed tight end Stephen Skelton to the practice squad Wednesday, releasing wide receiver Isaiah Williams to do so. As Mike Jurecki mentioned, it’s a good week for the Skelton family. And yes, your math is correct — that brings the Cardinals’ total number of tight ends to five. But Todd Heap’s hamstring has kept him out, save for a play or two against the Rams, for basically five games, and Rob Housler has missed the past two games with a bad groin. You can’t have Jeff King and Jim Dray overworked in practice, especially if they have to do more in games.

Tags: , , ,

29 Responses to “Cards bring back the other Skelton”

1. By AZLOGAN on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren
    Does this mean that the injury to Housler is major? I’d really like to see him back on the field. He has shown flashes of greatness. I just can’t wait to see his full potential!

2. By D on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Darren

Did the Cards sign T. Heap to a one year deal, or multiple years?

Thanks

3. By Travis McCollum on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I thought he had more Skills the Dray.

4. By Rich on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

The first half of this season was compromised by Whiz’s stubborness to the “system”. Now, that stubborness is paying off. Can’t argue his long term effectiveness, but still think he could have exercised flexibility early on, that could have resulted in a couple more wins. That would not have compromised the “system” long term. From here forward, its going to hard to argue with his coaching.

5. By Kurt on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Adding another Skelton to the closet seem’s a natural

6. By Mayhem79 on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Was skelton ne good?

7. By BIG RED on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Great the Skelton connection just like at Fordham. Try it Coach Whiz you might enjoy it. No need to spend so much for veteran tight ends that are getting hurt all the time. You might save some money, so we can afford to sign Calais Campbell. You already have two young tight ends in the mix.

8. By rio on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Well, all we need now is Red Skelton.

9. By LB on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Ugh, was that really necessary? Isaiah deserved a shot, he can’t exactly do worse than Stephen Williams and Chansi Stuckey. Kent said Jaymar Johnson’s been impressive due to his speed which is something we don’t have right now so i understand keeping him instead of Isaiah. Still, i hope he gets another shot next year in camp.

10. By brad oneill on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

I think this is a good move, obviously they need some practice bodies, but I really like the idea of brothers playing on the team together. I understand that there isn’t room on the roster for another TE with the plethora of them we suddenly have been blessed with but I hope we have housler and TE skelton scoring tds for us 5 years from now.

11. By Darren Urban on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Azlogan –

RE: Meaning of S Skelton

I don’t know what it means. I am guessing it will be a question for Whisenhunt today. But yes, the first thought is that the current injuries are a concern.

12. By Darren Urban on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

D –

RE: Heap contract

He signed for two years.

13. By jstn on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

i think King is the best TE we have, he just needs to clean up his blocking a lil and he the full package, prob mental with him and in time he’ll click with it all, i just like his bruiser stlyle and he seems to be open more often then not. Go KING!! Like to see u in the mix against the 48′s, theyll think they got this one but i predict a major upset, Cards 27-13, Skelton will be MAJOR tested in this Game but i feel He’ll have his best Game, seems like John gets better in small amounts each game consistantly, true sign of a great QB, and he doesnt often take steps back in progress and when it does happen it seems like that really gets him going. Its a Parodox!!!

14. By TucsonTim on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

A tight end controversy just isn’t very sexy sounding is it…or is it?

15. By TucsonTim on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Skelton 4th quarter QB rating 101.8, 4th in NFC behind Aaron Rodgers

Kolb’s 4th quarter QB rating 72.0 (16th NFC) very consistent with his career 75.1 QB rating.

Can’t imagine playing against a team that is one play away from being undefeated is going to do good things for anyone’s QB rating, esp on the road. Talk about testing your mettle. Can’t wait to watch…haven’t said that much for the past 2 years.

16. By Earl on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Jim Dray is by far the best tightend on the roster. He can catch and is a devastating blocker, not to mention great special teamer. Coincidence they almost beat the ravens when he returns and are 2-0 since. I think not.

17. By Phoenixraven1 on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Lol!

18. By mikeyd on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Now draft Emmanuel Acho ILB from texas who is actually pretty good.

19. By cards62 on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Been traveling a little so just arrived back to respond to all things Cardinals.

I have grown to actually hate the 49ers more than the Cowboys so this win would please me more than any other victory this year. It will not be easy as the 49ers are playing well and have a very good defense. Patrick Willis is a beast!

I think this game comes at a perfect time to judge our teams progesss and to judge John Skelton’s development.

My large worry is how will our OL play against the 49ers? Will they get Skelton or Beanie killed? What are your thoughts?

Defense definitely playing better past two weeks. Lot of talk about Kevin Kolb helping our defense out against the Eagles. Lets see if they can keep it going against a good 49ers offense that uses the TEs.

I think D. Washington is a pro bowler this year. What a player. Shows up every week.

C. Campbell what an interception. Great great play. Sure Graves you can sign me now. but its going to cost you chief.

No love for Richard Marshall. I freely admit that my eyes see Cardinal red, but I just did not see him hold on the A. WIlson interception. What did I miss guys?
    Plus he had his interception overturned.

Would like to give some love to the play calling Sunday. Nice to see Roberts run the ball to keep him involved. Third down TD pass to Doucet, bomb to Larry F. in one on one coverage to the one, and my favorite call on 4th down the pass out of the backfield to LSH on a total mismatch with a LB.

Kolb verses Skelton. I think Kolb will not play due to injury so we do not need to argue about this for another week or two. I do not know which one is better, but you never go away from a hot hand.
    Skelton did improve from week to week. We all have to admit that is a fact.
    We also have to admit Skelton makes some dumb plays and bad throws.
    I do know this – So far this year I want Skelton in the 4th quarter. I think Larry F. is rethinking the QB position so maybe we all should ha ha.

Skelton does look good in the pocket and some of his passes are just wow Dan Marino or John Elway Now do not curse me as I am not saying John Skelton could carry either of those two jock straps and I honestly do not know if he is the best QB on the team, and I definitely supported the Cardinals for signing a QB in the offseason, but in two games he made me go wow nice throw more than Kolb has done in 7 games.

Go Cards beat the 49ers

20. By Steve on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Darren: Off the topic but do you get the feeling that Bill Polian and the Colts are doing everything they can to ensure that they get the first pick in the draft and Andrew Luck? Just be honest.

21. By Darren Urban on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Steve –

RE: Colts and Luck

Who knows? They can’t force the players to lose.

22. By Brandon LA on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Goals for Sunday. (win duh) But also… Score a beanie rushing touchdown against 49er D. (or more) Continue awesome chemistry between Skelton/Roberts. Cambell/Wilson/Washington Dominate.

23. By drummer-1 on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

@ Tucsom Tim…

We know you like Skelton but lets be reasonable., comparing 2 fourth qrt’s from Skelton too 7 for Kolb… of course the numbers will be different, lets wait till Skelton has 7 starts also..

24. By brythybo7 on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Do you know of any successful brother duos that have been in the NFL? QB and either HB, TE or WR?

25. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Bryth –

RE: Duos

I do not, but that doesn’t mean there haven’t been any. Off the top of my head though, I don’t.

26. By Mike in Mesa on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

drummer-1

Lets be reasonable. Skelton is 4-2 in six starts with the Cards. What’s Kolb’s record? I’ve seen Skelton run backwards out of the pocket one time so far. Compared to Kolb’s umpteen times. Skelton is way more aggresive than Kolb. Taking chances, running for positive yards, and looking like a veteran in the pocket. I don’t know what happened to Kolb after the first two games but he is not doing any of this and is running scared. Kolb is 1-6 in his seven starts here and looking worse each game. Time to let Skelton finish season and compare records then. You should be able to make a reasonable decision on who the starter should be next season.

27. By TucsonTim on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Great QB’s show up in the 4th quarter.

28. By brad oneill on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Kolb is the real deal, he seems to me to be a little too amped up at beginning and then again at the end of the game, i think he will correct this problem.

29. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

@brythybo7,
    Depending on your definition of “successful”, brothers on the same team that are SKILL players was hard to find. The closest I could muster was Clarence(WR) and RB Robert Weathers (from ASU, I believe) with the Patriots.
    I mean you had the Carson boys QBing for the Bengals and Mike and Marcus Vick doing pitch and catch, but neither younger sibling ever took flight.
    Now, there has been guys that have played at a high rate at other positions like the Selmons on Tampa Bay defensive line and the Miami secondary Blackwood bros.
    BTW, the Skeltons aren’t the first brothers on the Cards roster in the same year:
    Niko and Pete Noga played AZ first year here.