Kolb, Doucet and tales from Philly

Posted by Darren Urban on November 16, 2011 – 10:18 pm

A couple of leftover anecdotes from the trip to Philadelphia:

– One was the slowly spreading story — mentioned by Kevin Kolb himself, originally, on a radio interview — that Kolb was calling out plays the Eagles were going to run while he was on the sideline sitting out with his injured foot. Asked about it Wednesday, Kolb downplayed his impact.

“There was some two-minute stuff that I could help out with here and there,” Kolb said. “I tried to game plan with (defensive coordinator) Ray (Horton) a little bit. How much help that I really did for our defense, I’m not really sure.

“You can’t go and change what you do because there is guy that knows the offense in the opposing locker room. That happens every single week. It happened to us with Anquan Boldin, with (Tim) Hightower, so everybody’s conscious of it but you have to stick to what you do and they do the same thing. I was screaming at the top of my lungs but I’m not sure anybody heard me over there.”

– Wide receiver Early Doucet scored the game winning touchdown but he wasn’t expecting it to be him. Not at first. He, like many others, expected Beanie Wells to pound it in from the 1-yard line after Larry Fitzgerald’s amazing catch. Wells gained no yards on first down, and lost four on second down, and suddenly, Doucet was needed — although he wasn’t totally at the ready.

“What was crazy, I was so confident we were going to punch it in, I was standing all the way on the other end of the sideline<” Doucet said. “We got to third down and they called four-wide and I had taken my helmet off and taken a knee, and I was like, ‘Oh crap.’ I had to run from the other end of the field.”

It worked out, obviously.

Tags: , ,

24 Responses to “Kolb, Doucet and tales from Philly”

1. By rio on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

BETTER FIND A SCREEN PLAY THIS WEEK GUYS.

2. By LotrLore on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

That Doucet TD was a beauty. Hopefully he can step up like that again in the future.

3. By Gilbert on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Hopefully that success can be done in San Fran. Hey Darren if the Cards are able to overcome the niners are the playoffs possible ??

4. By BIG RED on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Oh! so now Kolb won the game, you guys really don’t want to give Skelton the credit. What does he have to do to convince you D. The guy helps the Cards win 2 games, and all you do is bring back the past (last year) and still say he’s been help cause of the defense playing better and that his been lucky. Everybody has been crying for a winner and now his not good enough. I would really would like to see Kolb this week play. The Oline even look more united with Skelton playing. Faith and luck is something everybody need to be successful. Just ask Warner.

5. By Ernie on Nov 16, 2011 | Reply

Darren, it feels like a year ago we were guessing at who the Cardinals were gonna go after for the Qb job. That time has come and gone. Now all things considered, If Skelton wins the game against the niners , do you feel at that point we have a contraversy?

6. By dan on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

49ers seem to own us, hopefully we don’t get manhandled again like we usually do. Justin Smith usually kills us.

7. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Gilbert –

RE: Playoffs

Talk to me about that again in a month. Right now, it just feels kind of foolish.

8. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Ernie –

RE: Skelton/Niners

If Skelton wins this game, it would be very difficult to go back to Kolb right away. But again, until Kolb can even get through a practice — which he can’t yet — it’s moot.

9. By Luke on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Any updates on Ryan Williams progress with the injured knee? Keep up the good work.

10. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Luke –

RE: Ryan Williams update

11. By Peter in Canada on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

I feel that this game will be a good test for Skelton. The niner defence is very good. Skelton has certainly improved over last year. Apart from the interceptions his game against Philly was better than the one against the Rams because he led 3 TD drives and what should have been 2 field goal drives. He has never moved the ball this well in any of his previous starts. In fact nobody this side of Kurt has had that many drives in a game. I am looking forward to Sunday with interest.
    Here’s hoping there is a QB controversy when Kolb is healthy. It only bodes well for the team.

12. By Wampag on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

PFT: I noted in our PFT Picks this week that Skelton got very fortunate against the Eagles last week. He’s unlikely to be so lucky this week against the 49ers.

F that sorry for the language

but GO CARDS

13. By Brian on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Big Red this has nothing to do w/ giving credit to Kolb for winning the game. It has to do with a national story that spread because of the relationship between Kolb and the Eagles, what he said about knowing their plays and nobody giving the Cards a chance to beat the “Dream Team” in Philly. Nobody is proclaiming Kolb or Skelton the savior, QB is still an unknown and if you follow this team you would know that. Skelton beat a 2-7 Rams team and a struggling Eagles team. And yes, I would say the defense is why we won that game. Skelton played well for the most part but the D only allowed 7 points if you factor in the 2 INTs by your Golden Boy. I’m not saying I like Kolb better than Skelton or vice-versa. I’m just saying all of this QB controversy talk is pointless. If you’ve read Darren’s blogs and paid attention to this team, you would know that.

Bottom line, Whiz and his staff will play Skelton until Kolb is healthy. Until Kolb has the same benefit of an offseason w/ this team, I don’t think it’s fair to compare.

14. By AZ Fan in WA on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Well said Brian. There were also two very fortunate bounces on tipped passes, one of which resulted in a touchdown. I happen to favor Skelton’s demeanor. I think the mentality required to shrug off the INT’s and lead a game winning drive is something you can’t teach. All great QB’s have it. That being said, this whole Skelton thing could unravel just as easily as it came together. For some reason, loosing to San Fran really cheeses me off and Skelton knows them and the offense better, so for now.. GO SKELTON. Long term? May the best QB win. Having a solid backup is huge… see Colts.

15. By jstn on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Cards running a 2 QB system, known some college teams that have done this effective, could it work in the NFL?

16. By Matt in Philly on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

I’ll keep asking it again and again: What exactly are the tools that Kolb has that Skelton doesn’t? Yes, Skelton has made some bad passes, but he comes through when we need it.

Also, what’s the word on re-signing Calais Campbell? It seems like the price goes up week by week. Are we going to add him to the list of home-grown pro-bowl caliber defenders that we let walk (i.e. Antrel Rolle, Karlos Dansby, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Antonio Smith)?

17. By brad oneill on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

San Francisco has never been a real rival to us, either they suck or we suck or we both suck. they beat us even when they suck and we beat them even when we suck. why i dont know, but i hate losing to San Francisco. I think we have lost 4 in a row but im not sure it might be more than that, it feels like more than that. i can’t remember what it is like to have our team beat san francisco? If skelton wins this game, I predict a solid run until the end of the year. if they lose as is expected we will be lucky to have a 5 win season.

18. By Darren Urban on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

jstn –

RE: 2 QB system

No. Not an option, nor should it be.

19. By D on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

Hopefully A. Reid has good home insurance, philly fans may do something stupid

20. By D on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

SF has a lot of soon to be free agents, A. Smith, most of their WR’s, a G and a few safety’s…A. Brooks is also soon to be free agent and they have A. Smith ready to start…if he doesnt’ get an extension, Cards should go after him agressively. (he once got 3 sacks against the Cards in 2009)

21. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

@ brad oneill,
    You said it, the records don’t matter, but you hate when the Cards lose to SF. That there, is the definition of a rivalry.
    Remember when the only 2 wins the 49ers got one season was against AZ? That bit.
    Remember when Gore was stopped at the 1 yard line on MNF? Pure exhilaration.
    Remember the trash talking between Wilson and Davis and the helmet-to-helmet hit Adrian put on Vernon? Priceless.

The Arizona Cardinals versus the San Francisco 49ers is a rivalry game.

22. By in fitz we trust on Nov 17, 2011 | Reply

what would be the difference/ benefit, or pros and cons, if we decided to use the franchise tag on campbell, rather than resigning him???

23. By Darren Urban on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

In Fitz –

RE: Franchise tag

The only benefit would be to buy time if they can’t get a deal done. But long-term, much much better to just get an extension worked out.

24. By BIG RED on Nov 18, 2011 | Reply

Hey Brian, Did I said Skelton won the game I said help the Cardinals win the game. Which includeds defense and Special teams. The point is that I’m sick and tired of this Organization screwing up all the time. And further more I’ve been a Cardinal fan for 57 years. I know talent when I see it, and this 23 year old kid has it. Hey Brain, you just might have something there (The Golden Boy) which you just named him, it’s better than the door nolb. This organization always screws everything up aren’t you tired of it or you haven’t payed attention to this team history. Skelton will over take you millionaire Golden Boy who really sucks.