Wrapping up with Whiz

Posted by Darren Urban on November 21, 2011 – 11:25 am

A few short notes after coach Ken Whisenhunt’s Monday presser:

–Still an unknown when Kevin Kolb will return. He’ll try again this week but he was “not real close” to suiting up, Whiz said. John Skelton will start in St. Louis if Kolb cannot.

– With Dan Williams done, Whiz said he wasn’t sure if rookie David Carter or vet swingman Nick Eason will start in his place.

– Whiz talked to Williams last night about staying in shape going forward. That’s been a sore subject with the coach and his nose tackle, and this would seem to be a dangerous time, with Williams not around the team as much and rehabbing the arm.

– Safety Kerry Rhodes continues to work to get back, but it will not be this week and Whisenhunt still didn’t put a timeframe on it.

Tags: , , , ,

40 Responses to “Wrapping up with Whiz”

1. By Phoenixraven1 on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Man I don’t know if this season is worse because of all the build up prior to the season but this team is just not ever firing on all cylinders…

2. By C on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Thinking out loud here, but is there anyone on the practice squad that might merit some game-time looks if Joey Porter’s roster spot was opened? I think it’s all but clear that the kids (Schofield/Acho) are well in the mix at OLB and Porter is collecting dust.

You’d know the practice squad better than all of us. Anything worthy of game day experimentation there?

3. By TucsonTim on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

“Beanie Wells’ knee injury isn’t limiting what the Cards can call on offense but it is limiting the number of reps he can take”

If you’re not going to use Alfonso or Taylor, then what he says makes no sense at all. Or another way to look at it is: we game planned for a 2-1 pass-run offense in the first half. Would that really make sense with a young inexperienced QB on the road?

4. By R Robles on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Darren Yes or No? With this loss & Niners being 9-1 is our season lost?

5. By ryan on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

I got some wrap up for Whiz:

I don’t want to see joey porter, clark haggans or paris lenon starting any more games. Acho, Schofield are clearly out playing them and did you see Stewart Bradley tattoo people out there yesterday? Bradley hits so hard he broke Dan Williams arm! I don’t wanna hear that these young guys don’t know the system and thats why they haven’t played, the old guys do and they still stink! At least the youngsters make plays!!!!

Secondly, i would think Whiz is not that naive to know we needed a #2 decent speed receiver before the season started. Once again we can blame the Bidwells for not spending the dough on acquiring one. Mike Jurecki would be a better GM than Rod Graves.

Oh well, just another embarrassing season. Take that high draft pick and get a WR or elite pass rusher. Spend money and get a good O-lineman. We will be better next year.

6. By Carddulls on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

I agree with you Darren, its time to SUCK FOR LUCK! I made a new song called “we gotta suck for luck” its great.

7. By Darren Urban on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

C —

RE: Practice squad “call ups”

I’m sure that is being considered weekly. But I don’t know if they would pull the trigger yet.

8. By Darren Urban on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

TucsonTim —

RE: Run game

Unless you feel the dropoff to Smith/Taylor is that significant, or you are considering Niners have best run defense.

And Tim, I’m being earnest here. Don’t want to pick a fight. Just throwing out the other side.

9. By Darren Urban on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

R Robles —

RE: Season lost

As in playoffs? Because I already believed the playoffs were probably out of the picture even if the Cards had won Sunday.

10. By Chad on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, with all the “Fire Whiz” overreaction going on these days, I would love to see a piece that explained how difficult of a job it is for this coaching staff, the long hours they put in, the complicated schemes and game plans. I think us casual fans just get a surface view of things and scream for changes (Start Skelton! Cut Levi Brown! etc.) but we really have no idea about personnel or schemes or anything. I see a picture of Whiz doing a photo shoot golfing or something and people are complaining that he plays golf instead of preparing. So frustrating.

11. By CS on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Poor showing by ADub, to busy eating Candy, dreaming of that Turkey then to cover a receiver, play the field. Another mickey mouse season for a so called “dominate Safety”

12. By Darren Urban on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Chad —

RE: Story idea

I understand. Those stories are probably best suited for an offseason, however. Writing one now would probably come across as PR, and I have enough problems fighting that perception.

13. By wnycardfan on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

I think Wells injury IS changing their game plan, at least slightly. Lets face it Whiz never did run the ball all that much, he started to change that when Wells started to get decent. Now the injury and we are back to pass happy. Game, despite poor QB play, was still there to be taken, why not try running it a few times? AVG 4+ ydrs per carry, might have gotten shut down, but you never know until you try. They aren’t really using any other back, even last week they didn’t much (for running). Read that they DO change the package when Wells isn’t in there (one RB, vs FB and RB). Why not do the same pacakage with Smith in there, give him a blocking back? I know, armchair coaching, but its FRUSTRATING watching this team not operate worth squat.

14. By Steve on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Brutal season in every sense of the word.

However.

Much as I hate the present, I am optimistic for the future.

D is starting to get it and we do have some talent on that side of the ball.

Health and an off season should cure what ails the QB etc. Lack of familiarity of a complex system completely different from the west coast of PHI.

@Ryan, we offered MORE money than the 49’s did for the WR Edwards, so shove all that ‘cheap” stuff up ur nose. If you don’t know what U are talking about, shut the hell up!

15. By AZLOGAN on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren
    just wondering how Skeltons hand is? You saw during the game that he fell awkwardly on it or hit it off a players helmet or both! Could that have been part of the reason for just the terrible showing at QB. That is until Bartel came in and I thought he looked decent
    Thanks again Darren! Always appreciate the responses

16. By Darren Urban on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Azlogan —

RE: Skelton hand

Until Kolb mentioned it today, it had been unmentioned through two pressers each by Whiz and Skelton himself. Skelton certainly wasn’t using it as an excuse.

17. By CreditCard on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

On a differnt note, is anyone on the Cardinal staff addressing leg turn-over rate? The primary reason for the OL dreadful pass protection (in my opinion) is that they are measurably slower than each of the other team’s DLs and other teams OLs. Fans and coaches can talk about OL assignments, better communication, improved QB play, more RB production and so on… until the front 5 elevate to at least aspire to an average level in terms of quickness; I foresee no positive changes. Also, rarely do I see the Cardinals adjust their splits especially when they are getting beat on the edges. Is anbody analyzing anything?

18. By Darren Urban on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

CreditCard —

RE: OL analysis

I would assume so. But it’s hard to pin yesterday’s turnovers on the O-line. Even the one INT Skelton threw while being hit just should have been a sack.

19. By Kevin on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Is our season lost? That’s funny. I can’t believe there were people saying here last week that they thought if we could beat the 49ers (which would have put us at 4-6, four games back with six to go) that we still had a chance to catch them, esp. with them still having 3 more games vs. our own pathetic division in addition to the 2 against us.

Re: Tucson Tim’s comment, I will acknowledge that this is in part just being mad about the result, but on our 2nd possession, after we blocked a FG and had the ball in decent starting position, Beanie ran for 8 yards on first down. I immediately yelled at the TV, “OK, run it again!” Somehow I knew they wouldn’t, and then I watched Skelton throw his first INT. Yes, I know SF has a great run defense, but with an inexperienced QB I’d rather just try to get first downs by running on 2nd or 3rd and short. We ought to be able to get 2 yards in 2 downs.

20. By cards62 on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Darren

The worse thing I have read or heard about Skelton yesterday or today came from the announcers during the game. Announcers stated that they interviewed San. Fran. Defensive Coordinator and ask him if he was going to change up defenses often to confuse our young QB. His answer was no need Skelton does not read defenses he just usually stairs down his receivers and throws them the ball.

What are your thoughts on that statement as it made me sick to my stomach.
    I do not have a favorite for our QB position, but I am still very worried.
    Someone said anyone suggesting we start Bartel if Kolb is not ready to go would be an idiot, okay label me an Idiot. Why not start Bartel. Reason 1. Skelton looked like the second coming of Derek Anderson Sunday. He did not have a clue where his ball was going as he was just winging it. Reason 2) Bartel was our best looking QB during the preseason. 3) Season is over so lets give Bartel a look. 4) The most important reason is Skelton plays a whole lot better in the 4th quarter so if Bartel plays great – no problem and if he does not then we have 4th quarter Skelton to bring us back.

28 yards during our first 6 series or with about a minute to go in the first half. To be that bad offensively has to make the Bidwills fume. Defense did not play well but kudos to them for keeping the good fight going. Offense did not help them at all. nfl.com does not even know our linebackers name – D. Washington. Real shame as I think he is pro bowl caliber, and I agree with others who said Stewart Bradley showed some flashes this game.

I really hate the 49ers more than any other team.
    Go Cards beat the Rams

21. By Rich on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Is there a team that has suffered more injuires this year? We’ve had some tough breaks.

22. By Steve on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Daren

Thanks for the WR edit, I was having a senior moment (and I don’t have to get my bell wrung for those any more).

The story idea above is a good one, I swear, some of these guys think that there are competent head coaches just dropping out of the tress the way they discredit Whiz., but respect the timing and perception issue you touched on.

Amateurs do the job when it’s easy, pro’s shine when it’s hard, and you are doing great!

23. By Darren Urban on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Rich —

RE: Injuries

The Rams and Chiefs say, “Are you kidding me?”

24. By RelayTV on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Whiz is not really committed to the run game.

#1 Has there been one series, in any game this season, where we ran the ball 3 straight times?

EVER.

If Whiz picked plays randomly, he would have to have 3 runs, at least once in a hundred plays or so.

#2 Is there any game this season where we have more running plays than passing plays?

I know Whiz thinks he is fooling the other team, by going to a pass after a long run, but he is only fooling himself.

The teams we play, know that Whiz never really gives the running game a fair shot & they adjust accordingly, so…

Until we have a QB who can beat a team with his arm, we will continue to lose.

Simple as that.

25. By Austin on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Cards62
    The reason Skelton is usually good in the 4th quarter is because he’s had 3 quarters to warm up and get comfortable. To think we could just throw him in after 3 quarters on the bench and have him save the game for us is rediculous. This isn’t baseball.

26. By cardsalltheway on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

“– Beanie Wells’ knee injury isn’t limiting what the Cards can call on offense but it is limiting the number of reps he can take.”
    So the other RB’s/FB’s got a total of ONE carry, now that’s what I call using your players aye?
    And ~ Total TE receptions = 0
    Why do we have 5 TE’s on the team? Most would’ve thunk that we might integrate TE’s into our game plans ~ give our QB a bigger target, use more double TE sets, but Nooooo!
    Now that’s what I call using your players/roster to its fullest. It’s obvious our RB’s/FB’s/TE’s were not used as they should’ve been which is proof that any game plan must have been ignored or forgotten unless it really didn’t involve any of those positions?

27. By cardsalltheway on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

I cringe whenever I watch/listen to Ken W. so I try to avoid it. However I watched his short explanation about how Skelton struggled which is true but of course Ken W. didn’t take any of the blame. I could be wrong here but if I’m not mistaken he has taken blame only once(after one game) this year? I blame Ken W. for not involving our RB’s, FB’s and TE’s more ~ Hey wouldn’t that give John Skelton some help?

28. By Javi on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

so darren if the cardinals continue losing will coach whiz soon be replaced???

29. By Darren Urban on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Cardsalltheway –

RE: tight ends

You do realize, of those 5 tight ends, two are injured and one is on the practice squad.

30. By Darren Urban on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Javi –

RE: Whiz future

I don’t expect Whiz to be fired, no.

31. By Chuck 1 on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

Mr. Robles,

It pains me to tell you that, YES, the season is lost.
    It has been lost for a long time.

32. By georgiebird on Nov 21, 2011 | Reply

I look at the Doucet vs Goldson flap the result of mixup on a pass route- neither guy is a trouble maker, there is no pattern of bad behavior.
    On another front- I hope the NFC West is not going to turn into another NFC East for the Cards. When in the East, the Cards could count on 4-5 divisional loses each year ruining hopes for a playoff birth. In the West, to look ahead to two loses to the 49ers and potential road loses to Sea and StL, the Cards could be back in the role of divisional doormats. If you can’t beat teams in your own division (regardless of sport), it’s a tough road to be successful. The current group-players and coaches- has to be significantly upgraded.

33. By cardsalltheway on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Total TE’s targeted = 0
    That’s right, we didn’t even try to pass to any of our TE’s.

34. By John from Oz on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

This coach would have long been given his marching orders in the Australian Football League – we do not tolerate afilure or excuses, even with a long injury list.
    List management is a worry, failure to attract quality personnel a worry, failure to develop a winning mindset is a major issue.
    If a team has effective coaching panels and good players it wins. If it doesn’t it loses. Simple, really!

35. By Canadian Red Bird on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Interesting when you listen to Whz in his post game pressers, that he mentions the quarterback didn’t make the throws, or he didn’t make the corect reads, or the defence didn’t do this or that. Never once does he mention or has he ever mentioned that the coaching staff didn’t do their part in preparing the team. Never once have you heard him or his staff take ownership of the situation. Instead, each week or most weeks, he keeps throwing somebody underneath the bus.
    In my opinion, Whiz is not a coach that the players are prepared to go to war for.

36. By Chuck on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Fire Whiz? the only coach to take us to a super bowl? Get some decent O-Lineman and this team will make a total 180 turnaround! face we have two of the worst tackkles in the league.Even if we had Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady they still wont do anything when the QB is getting whacked on his blind side or has a somebody in his face to 1 sec flat.Kolb is hurt for a reason our line cant pass protect and our QBs been running for there lives all season! WAKE UP CARDINAL NATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. By David C. on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

You keep insisting Whiz will be the head coach next year, but given his numerous early round blunders, and his inability to develop players, particularly at quarterback, is it really wise to allow him one more year to stockpile our team with mediocre talent?
    Also, could you ideally see the Bidwells emulating the Browns and Dolphins, and hiring a “czar” of sorts, to oversee all football operations? It’s had mixed success, but seems to bring a sense of false security to the team’s for the first year or so. At this point, anything’s better than the dread that takes over all of us every Sunday.

Cheers,
    David C.

38. By David C. on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

@Chad Overreaction? You do realize Whiz is 8-17 without Warner? He’s also refused to tailor his “system” to fit the players he has, and instead continues to jam a square peg into a circle hole believing it’s going to fit.

I’d rather see Darren begin to point out the flaws in the coaching staff, and avoid the fluff pieces. It’ll show he has journalistic integrity, and isn’t simply a company man.

Cheers,
    David C.

39. By cards62 on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

To Austin

Our QB position. I know football is not baseball and I also know I am reaching, but I just can not tell you which of the 3 QBs are the best choice long term for our team today. I am not calling Bartel the next Warner, but how many times was Kurt passed over by teams without getting a chance? I honestly do not know which of the 3 are the best or if any of the 3 should even be our QB long term. I see things I like in all 3 qbs and also have watched all 3 make very dumb throws. 2009 Warner retires and we are told Leinart is our man. Leinart gets to throw like 25 passes in the preseason and we dump him for Derek Freakin Anderson and now for a second season we play QB merry go round. This year is not a playoff year and I just do not want to be on that QB merry go round yet again in 2012. I am too old and the ride makes me sick now. I will root for who ever the coaches play at QB and I can not fault the coaches for who ever they put out there against the Rams. If I am coach I start Kolb if healthy and if not I start Bartel and reevaluate every week until the season is over this year.

Go Cards beat the Rams

40. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

David C —

RE: Coaching choice/czar

I don’t know if it is wise or not. I’m just saying I don’t see a change coming. As far as a football “czar,” I’m not sure of that either. If you evaluate it as “false security” I don’t know why that would be a good idea.