Dan Williams to IR; Talley returns and PS moves

Posted by Darren Urban on November 22, 2011 – 1:41 pm

After breaking his arm Sunday, nose tackle Dan Williams was officially put on injured reserve Tuesday, ending his season. To replace him on the roster, the Cardinals promoted defensive end Ronald Talley from the practice squad.

The Cardinals actually made multiple moves on the practice squad. Filling Talley’s spot, the Cards brought back nose tackle Ricky Lumpkin. The Cardinals also released tight end Steve Skelton from the practice squad and replaced him with linebacker Brandon Williams, who was drafted by Dallas in 2009 before tearing his ACL in preseason of that year.

Tags: , , , , ,

53 Responses to “Dan Williams to IR; Talley returns and PS moves”

1. By Tucsonaaron on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Since we know its coming lets get the question outta the way now. Whats the chance the cards go after Orton now that he was waived?

2. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Tucsonaaron —

RE: Orton

Don’t see why. Kolb will be coming back soon.

3. By steve on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

SKELTON being released made me laugh.

4. By antonioangelo21 on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

i guess they figured skelton was distracting his big brother?

5. By KYCardsfan on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

I will be attending the game this Sunday in St. Louis. I will be in the 3rd row right behind the cards bench, is there any certain time(maybe during warmups before the game) that some players sign autographs for fans in that area?

Thanks

6. By chevy on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

I agree there is no need to sign Orton, but what do you think about recently cut Tashard Choice?

7. By Kevin on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

RE: Steve

Not sure why Skelton getting released made you laugh. He was added strictly because they needed another practice body at TE with Heap and Housler hurting. Seems to me that it just means that one or both of them are getting close to being ready to play. The fact that I won’t have to watch Dray and King lumbering through as many pass patterns makes me smile, but I stop short of laughing.

8. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

KYCardsfan —

RE: Game day autographs

Once in a while there, but mostly, it is near the tunnel, and on game days, it isn’t much. That stuff happens in training camp.

9. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Chevy —

RE: Choice

Haven’t heard anything.

10. By John Rennecamp on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Darren, How do feel Rashad Johnson is doing? It doesn’t seem like he’s making many plays but he’s not making mistakes either.

11. By David C. on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Kyle Orton was just waived. Any interest from the Cardinals?

Cheers,
    David C.

12. By Voice of Reason on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

The Cards SHOULD always look for ways to improve the talent base of their football team. That means keeping a constant eye on the waiver wire, because one team’s waiver can be another’s treasure. Imagine James Harrison on the Ravens — where he was cut before being picked up by the Steelers.

However, the Cards WILL do nothing. We’ll get snippy reports that they aren’t interested in anyone on the wire. Not bothering to waste their precious time looking for ways to improve the team. Or better yet, they’re too busy negotiating a possible extension with one player. Like good organizations can’t do two things at once.

If it were me, I would not put a waiver claim on Orton. I would, however, bring him in (he and Fitz have been friends since high school) for a workout and see if he can be signed at the right price.

Bet John Fox is kicking himself now for not taking the pick Miami was offering in the preseason…

13. By Voice of Reason on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

And on Choice, the question should be this: is he better than Alphonso Smith?

One has started a MNF game and has 100 yard games on his NFL resume. The other does not.

So why not work him out and see?

14. By CreditCard on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Dan Williams was just starting to show his talent. He was having a nice game against SF, and moving laterally along the line of scrimmage. I hope he has the self disapline to curb his appitite and be in good physical condition come spring practices and OTAs. The NT in a 3 – 4 defense is one of the more important positions.

15. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

John Rennecamp —

RE: Rashad Johnson

I thought he has played a bit better of late, not surprising since he has been getting so much playing time. The Cards could use an impact play or two once in a while though, like a turnover.

16. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Voice —

RE: Miami pick/Orton

I believe one of the reasons the trade didn’t go down wasn’t that Denver was balking but that Orton wanted a contract extension to go along with any trade — like Kolb did — and the Dolphins weren’t up for that.

17. By CreditCard on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Nice article from the Cardinals organization regarding serving at the Rescue Mission. As fans we tend to get upset when our team does not win, and more upset if it looks like the same set of errors. The article puts things in perspective. It is good to see that the players recognize their good fortune and help others out. Classly move by RB Smith. I hope the organization recognizes him and others for their community work after the season.

18. By Chuck 1 on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Who TH is Tashard Choice?
    And, why would he be an answer for the Cards if his team doesn’t want him???
    That would be another case of the Cards picking up the table scraps from the floor!!!

19. By tom watson on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Darren, nice to see you stick up for TE Skelton, I hear he got lots of compliments from coaches as well as players during his time on practice squad.

20. By steve on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

@kevin

makes me laugh more to see you felt the need to reply to my comment. before the 49 game i had confidence in skelton that he could beat the 49ers. i didnt expect the game to be that bad.

21. By georgiebird on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

The TE position has probably been the most disappointing in a year filled with little to cheer for.

22. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Man, the defense has really had the hurt put on them this season from trading DRC to losing Toler, Rhodes,Butler, Williams, Adams and Porter.
    I’ll be off the computer for a few days (try not to weep) and I just want to wish Darren and all the posters on here a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

23. By Christo on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Thought Tashard Choice was claimed by WAS weeks ago? Choice would have made sense to put a claim on. Especially considering our RB depth.

The Cards should also put a claim on Orton. Kolb can still be #1 but maybe it lights a fire under him. Orton would certainly be an upgrade over Skelton and Bartel.

But why try to get better? The system works, we’re 8 and 19 in our last 27 . . we just gotta clean a few things up. Stop leaving plays on the field.

It’s all good.

Seriously Darren, at what point does someone ask Ken if he is concerned for his job? Honestly much better coaches (Ie Norv Turner) are on the hot spot for having a WINNING record in their last 27 games.

24. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Christo —

RE: Choice/Wash and Whiz

Choice was so good they cut him already.

If no one covering the team thinks his job is in jeopardy, why ask? If they finish 3-13 or 4-12, I’m sure it will come up at the end of the season. But now, it’s pointless. He’s not going anywhere.

25. By Christo on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Choice was injured when they picked him up . . perhaps they had the wrong intentions. Maybe he was supposed to hand over the Cowboy playbook?

The point is we won 5 lousy games last year, we have 3 wins this year . . not a single spot on the team should be considered safe. Yet I think many fans are of the impression that there is no accountability. We’re still watching Levi and Keith get blown by years later.

NE for ie cut Albert. That’ significant, that doesn’t happen around here.

I think why not ask Ken how safe he thinks his job is, would be the better question? If for no other reason, I know I am not the only fan who would be interested in hearing his response.

26. By Scott H on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

Since the TE position id being kicked around, do you know if we are getting Housler back this week? And where has Jeff King been after such a dynamic start to the season? Forgive me for not really paying attention, but are they using him more for run blocking / pass protection these days?

27. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Christo —

RE: Whiz job question

It’s probably a question better asked of ownership, although I’m not sure they’d answer right now. As for Whisenhunt, I think I could pretty much script out the jist of what we would hear. My guess is, since I know you follow the team and pay attention, you could probably guess it too.

28. By TucsonTim on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Why not Orton? How about giving the fans a little hope. We’re paying washed up LBs and not so old LBs millions to sit on the bench.

29. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Tight ends

I think the hope is that Housler returns this week but certainly it’s not guaranteed. I’d like to see him practice tomorrow. As for King, I’m not sure why he hasn’t been targeted more, although it’s not like he made a lot of catches early — he just had two big TD catches. He was never a big target in the past.

30. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Tucson —

RE: Orton

I get “hope.” But since Orton washed out in Denver, and was bad enough that Denver would rather use Tebow, I don’t see why he would be a better choice than working with Kolb the rest of this season.

31. By Chuck 1 on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

I don’t believe that anyone wanted to see Williams be injured. He will be missed.

But, with some concern about whether he will be in condition for OTAs next year, it just emphasizes the poor personnel decisions that Graves makes. When he drafts players, he should be aware of personal physical condition faults that players have (along with other probable faults).
    Duece fits that description also.
    How about signing players who can exhibit self control.

32. By Siles on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

LOL Darren says to Tucsonaaron –
    “Don’t see why. Kolb will be coming back soon.”

Like that is something to really look forward to. Awesome record he has, I Know I can’t wait.

33. By BleedCardinalRed on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

Thank you Darren for sticking by Kolb in every post when people are trying to stir drama unnecessarily when Orton was bad enough to lose the starting job to Tebow. Whether fans believe/accept it or not, Kevin Kolb is the franchise quarterback of the cardinals for the next half-decade at least. Coach Whiz’s offense is pretty complex and Kurt Warner, who, and please try to correct me if I’m wrong, mastered the Cardinals scheme and took us to the Super Bowl, even said it takes at least a season to get comfortable in Coach Whiz’s strategy. Kolb hasn’t had nearly the time enough with the lockout and such to become a “master” like Warner in the Cardinals offense. Give him time, give him confidence, let him lead. He’ll get healthy. He’ll get comfortable. We’ll start winning. Just watch……have some faith.

34. By Kevin on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

To me Whiz is fine and if we did go after Norv which I hope not we would not be be better off sticking with Whiz is the right choice he will bring this team back up the players are playing not holding up to assignments not him. I wanted Orton over Kolb thought Orton was better and is stat wise .Not to say in our system he would work but was my choice over Kolbwho is in development will take a year or two we will see. Skelton no to me a 3rd string at best. Bartel looks better than he does.
    DRC , I wasnt unhappy he was traded look at last year how many times he was blown away what did he say? He felt bored oops than teams started throwing on him and was beat. We brought in Rhodes 100% upgrade right move. Peterson is okay we need someone on the other side. No mistake in letting DRC go. What has he done for the Eagles???? Right now hurt ,but besides that what has he done that makes you miss him? Like Kolb , DRC work in progress. Still with the Cards all the way have been a fan since the 70’s and will always be a fan. I live in Fla and no way would I ever cheer for any team here.

35. By Scharf on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

You have to love the mentality of some of these fans. The fans screaming for the front office to be fired, for a new QB, etc. Sick of the fans thinking they know what is best for this team. Here is a little hindsight for those of you with those questions. If we did indeed fire Whiz, or we did indeed bring in yet another QB, do you really expect instant success? This isn’t madden, this is the NFL. If we traded for Tom Brady, it still wouldn’t make a difference. Brady would be flung into an entirely different environment having to memorize another playbook. The reason teams are successful is because they stick together and begin to mesh. You can’t ignore the fact that our starting QB is hurt, and hasn’t been in the system very long; or that our defense is getting torched because they are on the field forever! Just sit back, relax, and leave this kind of talk for the off season.

36. By cardfan6 on Nov 22, 2011 | Reply

I dont see any reason not to sign Orton, other than if his is due a large amount of money. it cant get much worse Kolb is putting up derek anderson numbers

37. By rio on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

ORTON HERE, HOG WASH.
    WHO NEEDS THAT GUY.

38. By Austin on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

David C.
    You not only want to fire the coach who led us to back to back NFC West titles and a super bowl, but also want to pick up the guy who was just replaced by the most inaccurate passer in history. Genius! (that was sarcasm)

39. By Darren Urban on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

BleedCardinalRed/Everyone —

RE: “Sticking by” Kolb

Let me clarify one thing: When I personally advocate Kolb playing there is a reason for it from my beliefs. It’s not just because, Kolb is great, period. Obviously he hasn’t proven yet he can be the long-term answer. I just think he has to be given a full season, maybe longer, to see where he is, given the investment and other options. I need to see more, and with the season where it is, I think that’s the best course.

I understand those with opposing viewpoints, and I’m not going to say they couldn’t turn out to be right. But given the circumstances, I think you have to put Kolb out there.

40. By Austin on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Perfectly said Darren, Perfectly said.

41. By jocards on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Understand I’m not necessarily saying that the Cardinals should go out and sign Orton or Choice or anybody else that hits the waiver wire specifically. It is however puzzling to me how the club rarely if ever shows any interest in guys that have been productive in the past when they hit the waiver wire. I mean it isn’t as though the Cardinals are a good team. I’d think they would consider bringing in anybody that could potentially make them better or at least bolster their depth chart. It’s odd that a team that has won just 8 of their last 26 games could carry on with “business as usual” as though they’re the Steelers or something.

42. By Corgon on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

I can’t buy this give him time thing anymore. What about Palmer, Dalton, Newton. Why is that they don’t need 1 year? I don’t say they’ll lead their team to the SB, but obviously they look good in the new environment.
    Of course new QB need some time to run the offense successfully, but there should be some signs he will be ok at this point as well. Is there anybody who see this kind of signs? I see that Skelton and Bartel has more possibility to throw the ball, because they dont’t flee from the pocket. I see both of them was able to throw the ball to Fitz. Our Oline not the best in the nfl, but not that bad as we thought after Kolb lead the team.
    It would be nice to see Orton on the bench, as a 2nd QB, or on the field instead of Skelton or Bartel while Kolb is out, because i think he’s a good QB (obviously better than our 2nd and 3rd) and something really-really wrong in Denver. But this is not gonna happen.And this isn’t a problem. The problem is everyone here “raw”, “not ready to nfl” or “need some time to learn the playbook” and “wait ‘n see in the next year”. The answer can’t be that simple every time. We still don”t make our QBs comfortable, we still have a lots of 3 and out, we still don’t have a plan or something what is looks like a plan to move the ball forward. The coach should wake up already and realize that no Warner anymore. New team need new plan!

43. By TucsonTim on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Clearly there is a problem in Denver. I get that. But sometimes guys do better in different systems.

The biggest reason to get Orton is Kolb’s health. Remember the medical article I sent you about turf toe. Some guys never recover and clearly Kolb had a very serious injury. He was having footwork issues before the injury.

If Kolb gets better and shows up as our guy for the future, then deal Orton away to someone else. I know about Miami contracts and all of that, but at this point Orton has had a reality check. He’s going to be lucky to get back up money until he proves something.

44. By joe67 on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Re signing another RB, why would we do that. We DON’T (or CAN’T) run the ball now, so why get another guy. I thouight Alphonso showed some things, if used in the right spots, but gets one or two touches a game. Chester Taylor, same thing. (Bet he is glad he got to come here).
    Seems to be a pattern. 1st down run, two inc passes. Why not try some different sets and maybe try running more than one time in a row. (I know we have on occasion, but it is rare).
    Darren, well after the fact, and a moot point, but just wondering if Michael or Billy tried to talk to the Browns (Cinci owners, not the team) about Palmer? Just wondering.
    I think we can still end up 6-10, which would be fitting, since, after all, this team is better than last years, and would show at least some improvement.
    Wait til next year!

45. By Darren Urban on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

joe67 —

RE: Palmer talk

I don’t think they ever did, but I can’t be certain. There was a report out after the Oakland trade that the best offer the Bengals had gotten previous was a third-round pick.

46. By TucsonTim on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Scharf –

I think Oakland expected instant success. Can we please get off this “he didn’t have OTAs, training camp blah blah blah”. there are just too many examples of QBs doing well in brand new systems.

Let’s be honest and call it like it is. The QB position has been awful AGAIN and our record speaks for itself. Whether that’s due to talent, o-line play or coaching, I frankly don’t think a lot of people are going to give a rats … when it comes to renewing their season tickets next year.

The Cards have a few games left to offer some hope that next year is going to be better. I doubt that free agent acquisitions and the draft will sell season tickets like it did last year. Fool me once…

47. By Jzoully on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

A question about whether or not Calais Campbell does resign, is this gonna be a trial period of David Carter to see if he can maybe be a starter next year? Is that Possible darren

48. By TucsonTim on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Just read that the Rams put CB Marquis Johnson on IR after he suffered a lacerated spleen (OUCH) last Sunday. He is the 10th, yes thats 10, CB the Rams have put on IR this year.

Makes our CB issues seem pretty trivial.

49. By sunday on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Darren,is carter going to be a starter since williams out for season.can he maintain or handle it,where is at if you was to put him on williams scale of 1 to 10 this season because we been hearing good things about him given he wasn’t drafted high.

50. By Darren Urban on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: Carter/Campbell

I don’t think they’ve even considered life without Campbell to be honest. So no, I think this is a chance for Carter to establish himself at NT.

51. By Darren Urban on Nov 23, 2011 | Reply

Sunday —

RE: NTs

Right now, Eason officially starter on depth chart. But Carter will still play plenty. As for Williams, he was a No. 1 pick, so I’m not sure what you are asking.

52. By cardsalltheway on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

I wouldn’t doubt we’ll be a better team with Carter/Eason. I doubt Ken W. would be very happy about that because it would again show poor decision making.

2. Nov 22, 2011: Dan Williams placed on IR » Cardinals Gab