Is GM a future fit for a King?

Posted by Darren Urban on November 24, 2011 – 12:04 pm

When Jeff King played in Carolina, his tight ends coach was Geep Chryst – who, once upon a time, was Jake Plummer’s quarterbacks coach with the Cardinals. Chryst, a Princeton man, would have football discussions with King all the time. “He joked he had football autism,” King said.

But it was during those discussions where King realized he had a passion for the cerebral part of the NFL – more specifically, the concept of building a team, finding personnel, and constructing such a puzzle. King’s story has been chronicled for this week’s “Maximum Cardinals” TV show by Paul Calvisi and the boys in the broadcast department (airing Saturday following the Grambling football game on NBC/Ch. 12).

King said he has considered the idea of coaching and it intrigues him, but not nearly as much as being in a front office. “I like the architectural feel of building something, more than the hands-on, day-to-day stuff,” King said. “Striving to build something, to put your imprint on a team, would be pretty cool.”

King spends most of his Tuesdays watching not just video of the Cards’ upcoming opponents but also games from around the league. He is self-teaching for now; he’s found that, as a player, personnel judgments aren’t exactly an open topic for discussion.

“It’s such an insider-trader thing to talk about with people that are doing it,” King acknowledged. “Everywhere I have been, it’s a little fickle. They don’t want to talk shop with a player. It’s like a separation of church and state. Hopefully I will have a chance to get into it. I know a few people, they know it’s something that is a passion for me. We will see where it goes.”

Tags:

10 Responses to “Is GM a future fit for a King?”

1. By Chuck 1 on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

King could replace Graves today and not be any worse.

2. By brythybo7 on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

He cant be any worse than Graves.

3. By cardsalltheway on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

Let’s start by game planning a throw to him for once. Five TE’s are on thy payroll so may as well throw the ball to one of them aye! Maybe the next game we could try targeting our TE’s twice, wouldn’t that be something?

4. By Darren Urban on Nov 24, 2011 | Reply

Cardsalltheway -

RE: tight ends

Not that I would ever doubt your analysis, but last time I checked the Cards had four tight ends. Pretty simple math, really.

5. By cardsalltheway on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

Yeah yeah yeah, one week we have five TE’s the next we have four. It’s happened more than once and will again I’m sure. However, we wouldn’t want any of our TE’s to work too hard during practice or have our QB’s throwing to them too often to form any continuity. If that happened, someone might actually expect a TE to be targeted in a game. It’s much better to pay 4 or 5 TE’s week to week without any expectations.

6. By CreditCard on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

I like the language King said. Build a team and being able to be the architect of something special. I can imagine the behind closed doors the words and phases that the Cardinals GM currently uses: I got hoodwinked. Scammed again. Its only money. We lost, but showed good improvement. I guess we should have studied film better. Who knew. Foiled again. I never thought worn out players from another team, would continue to be worn out here. We thought we were well prepared. ….The list goes on and on.

7. By Cards#1fan on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

johnjohn1105Nov-25 @ 11:57 AM 02
    The Cards need to draft either Matt Kalil, OT, USC or Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa in the upcoming draft. Then they have to sign Demetrius Bell – OT from the Bills. Like I’ve said in other forums, I really like what both guards are doing and what Sedlein has become.

Then I would try to sign Pierre Garçon WR from the Colts. Garçon is exactly what Larry needs next to him. He will spread the field for Fitz and Garçon will also make Doucet and Sampson much better wide outs.

then in the draft I would focus on getting more DL, OL and LB depth. I really like our depth in our corners. PP21, Toler, AJ, Crezdon Butler and Micheal Adams.

While the RB position seems like it’s not great, Im excited to see what a full year of Beanie, RWilliams can be with LSH being our third down specialist.

Birdgang, we are not to far behind in being a playoff contendor’s. keep the faith!!

( SS- Leroy Landry of the Redskins is a free agent next year. he’s younger and quicker than ADub. maybe it’s time we got younger and upgraded our SS position. I’m just saying)

8. By cardsalltheway on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

Cards#fan,
    You can count Toler and Williams out for next season. It will take them a long time if and when they ever return. Schofield is an example, but Toler will have the most difficult time because he has to react to WR’s on a dime and that isn’t likely as a DB after an ACL. Can you name another DB who has returned the following season? As for RB, look at Cadillac Williams. Players with ACL injuries perform at 1/3 less than before. It will take 2 years, if at all for Toler or Williams to be much help for the Cardinals. Williams is a bust, we wasted our 2nd round pick on a RB and next year we don’t have a 2nd pick.

9. By Cards#1fan on Nov 25, 2011 | Reply

@cardsalltheway
    I suffered the same type of injury about 3 years ago. I tore my ACL playing basketball in my local gym. It took me a little more than a year to fully recover. Granted, I’m not covering fast wide outs like Greg is on Sundays. But I also didn’t have the medical attention that Greg has with the Cards. I was back at work in 6 months but I was able to play basketball within the year.

I will admit, it took me close to 3 months to be able trust my knee pre surgery. Let me reiterated, I’m not comparing myself to what Greg does. But I do feel like he can come back before 2012 opening kickoff. I absolutely love Crezdon Butler!

10. By Jzoully on Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

Cards#1fan,
    The fact of the matter is that neither Kolb or Skelton can be superbowl-caliber qbs. Thats what the Cards need. Seriously what wrong with picking up Robert Griffin III from Baylor, or Ryan Tannehill from Texas A&M. ITs only smart to become a more competitiive team at qb. I like the thought of bringing in Demetrius Bell but we all know Graves, he can’t open the wallet for anyone of importance. Like how Matt Light was a free agent, he would have been a perfect addition.
    Then I believe we keep Levi Brown, but switch him to the right side.
    Pierre Garcon is good but really why not draft a quality wide receiver like Ryan Broyles from Oklahoma, Greg Little from Arkansas, or Jeff Fuller of Texas A&M. And A-Dub could actually still play a vital role, its more of getting more pressure on the qb.