Beanie sore but not out; Kolb should return

Posted by Darren Urban on November 28, 2011 – 12:09 pm

Not too many news nuggets came out of Ken Whisenhunt’s presser today, which is probably a good thing. Other than running back Beanie Wells, whom Whiz said was “sore” and had a “little swelling” with his knee, the Cards came out fairly unscathed. It’ll be wait and see how much Wells can do at practice Wednesday, but there didn’t sound like any concern he would be ready for Dallas.

“When he got his knee bent back, it looked horrible,” Whisenhunt said. “I’m sure at that point most of us thought that was it and he was done, because he was already fighting the knee. But to his credit, he fought it and came back in and had some big runs. Kudos to Beanie. When you talk about trying to get players to understand the mentality of what it takes, it’s great to see a young guy like Beanie make that progress.”

As for quarterback Kevin Kolb, it sure sounds like he will finally be able to make his return this game.

“I think we are certainly a lot more optimistic about him being able to go this week,” Whisenhunt said. “It will depend on where he is Wednesday, but he made enough progress last week that you feel good about him being able to do it.”

Tags: , ,

66 Responses to “Beanie sore but not out; Kolb should return”

1. By sean on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

i understand you spent a lot on kolb, but look how well skelton is doing, use the remainder of this season to fine tune skelton, and we will have a superbowl QB next season… don’t be stupid and put kolb back in, we might as well have leinart back.

2. By carlo 7000 on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

darren
    do u think if kolb will struggle till the rest of the season the coach will consider about drafting a quarterback.i hope we have a chance to take robert griffin III

3. By Darren Urban on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Carlo 7000 –

RE: Kolb/draft

We’d have to see if he struggles first. You do have to find a QB long-term though, and if you don’t think it’s Kolb, you have to consider the draft.

4. By kevin on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Skelton is not even close he reminds me more of Anderson. Our defense did it yesterday by stopping them. Skelton threw 2 picks. Kolb is a lot more sound. He is the one that we need to keep and fine tune.

5. By kevin on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Was reading more even if we take another QB to me that is taking a step back unless we are drafting a back up. Stay with Kolb he will be fine with a full season of workouts and games.

6. By alan on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

It will be nice to get our starting QB back.

7. By Christo on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Wonder how much rust Kolb will have?

Almost feel bad putting a QB with an injury that will affect his mobility behind this line.

8. By adamant on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

With Kolb coming back does that mean BEANIE will still get the ball 20 to 30 times a game?

9. By Soares20 on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

I am happy everyone is finally supporting Kolb. I have been saying ( even when we were 1-6 that Kolb was the answer. Hopefully with Skelton’s play everyone will Support Kolb, like Kevin said Kolb is sound he gives us one pick a game and about 55% completion and is consistent. Skelton nearly loses every game for us throwing under 50% and two picks a game! If the defense would have been playing this good all season we would be tied for 1st place in the division with the 49ers. Don’t believe me go look at the first 7 games where our D did nothing to help Kolb! Our D has won 4 out of the past 5 not Skelton.

10. By Sarah on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

I say develop them both, the season is a writeoff as it stands. One guy cost a parking ticket in terms of NFL money and the other an enormous bet that to date is nowhere near value for money.

Kolb will be rusty now and people were hollering for his head three weeks ago, funny how things transpire. Skelton needs developed end of story and will be a far better QB given time, he has shown flashes of brilliance and ineptness welcome to a kid two years out of college.

11. By grabling on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Sean come on! Skelton will be cut next year… give me just one game played well by Skelton (without stupid mistakes). He is an average – to bad Qb.

12. By Rich on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

90% of the fans are smart enough to know the score re our qb’s. Please don’t use the errant comments of a few “cognitively challenged” fans as fodder to report that the fans still think there is a qb controversy.

13. By Bartel on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Any chance Kolb comes back and sucks again that Cards look at QB in 1st?

Robert Griffin III??

14. By KurtM on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

@Soares20- kolb also has like 9 fumbles so add those to ur stats oh and no last minute drives skeltons got 2 of those.

15. By D on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

We are seeing some nice building blocks for next year, ie the defense learning the new system, Acho and Washington proving to be solid starters, along with good play from Dockett and Campbell, Peterson being a freak on special teams…Beanie showing toughness, if now Kolb can show improvment over the next month, there will be high hopes going into the offseason

16. By bro. on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Kolb went 1-6. skelton went 3-1. we’ve got people hating on both quarterbacks. My thoughts on the whole thing are: i do feel more comfortable with kolb playing, just because he’s a little more sound fundamentally. But i definitely like Skelton more. I wanna see that guy succeed, i don’t want the coaching staff to forget about him just because he had a couple poor games. bottom line is he and the team as a whole won 3 out of 4 with him…and every now and then you see glimpses of what he can do if he’s worked with. Hire Kurt Warner to be the quarterback coach. Let him work with both quarterbacks. then next offseason, let the games begin.

17. By Brad Oneill on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

people that thing Skelton is bad because he hasn’t played great are stupid, he is a very young quarterback, they tend to make mistakes.

The primary difference between kolb and Skelton has been Skelton seems to hang in the pocket and deliver the ball sometimes holding it way too long. Kolb tends to run around a bit. Neither has played anywhere near what I believe their potential to be. I think they both have been effected by the pressure. John did fine until the expectations where on him then he slipped, kolb has had the whole city on his shoulders since he got here.

I think Skeltons struggles will actually serve to calm Kolb a bit and I am looking forward to a very effective game from him. i think the pieces are coming together despite the horrible record. but you have to keep in mind that when we lost we barely lost. this year isnt the same as last year where we were outclassed by everyone we played in most categories.

Our defense has hung with green bay, our offense has shown an ability to run on even the tougher run defenses. We have one of the best receivers in the game. Our special teams is blocking field goals, returning punts for scores and we know its a matter of time before we get a kick return for a td.

18. By Peter in Canada on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Brad Oneill – Well said. I too am quite happy with this season. The Giant and Raven games, we blew the lead, whereas last year we would have been outclassed.
    The disappointments were Minny and Seattle where we didn’t show up for very winnable games. Reverse those two and perhaps Washington and we are above .500. I agree we have improved in many areas throughout the season. However, to reach the next level ie playoffs we need more consistent QB play. I am hopeful that Kolb learned from watching and will be effective. I am also not writing Skelton off. I look forward to the rest of the season and next year.

19. By TUCSTEVE on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

i dont understand how all these people want skelton over kolb. his last two games were absolutely horrible. the only reason we have one the past 3 of 4 is cause of our defense.

20. By Brian on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, there is no QB controversy here. Kolb will be the starter the rest of the year so long as he is healthy. He needs to play to develop chemistry w/ his receivers and also to get game experience in the offensive system we run here. Even Kurt Warner came out and said that Whiz’s system takes about a year to learn. Skelton had an offseason after being drafted. Kolb hasn’t even been here for 4 months. Let them compete and push each other during the offseason. It’s only going to make them better. Use our 1st rd pick to grab the LT from Stanford, not a QB. They are a running team and he’s also proven he can protect Luck’s blind side. Beanie has quietly had a very solid year regardless of his injuries and I love how the defense is playing. Special teams speak for themselves as they have won 3 of our 4 games for us. I think had our D been playing the way they are now at the beginning of the year, we would have at least 2 more wins(Washington and NY) and barring a couple missed field goals vs Seattle, we could be 7-4 instead of 4-7. I’m chalking this season up to being a development season w/ all the new pieces we have in place. Also, I think the 2011 draft may go down as one of the best this organization has ever had. We’ve seen what Peterson brings, Ryan Williams will be a great compliment to Beanie when he comes back next year, Housler has shown why we took him in rd 3 with his speed and catching ability, Acho has shined now that he’s starting, Sherman is a great blocker and special teams player, Carter will rotate nicely at DT and Sampson has impressed as a WR and ST performer. Sturdivant is still developing and may take some time.

Sorry for the long rant but I really think the future is bright for this team and we all need to continue to trust in coach Whiz. I know one other person that does and that’s our franchise player Larry Fitzgerald. If he didn’t like the direction we were going, he wouldn’t have signed an 8 year deal to stay here.

21. By CJ on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

It’ll be nice to see Kolb back in action. He was taking a lot of hits earlier on. Skelton showed him that, while he might take a few hits, he needs to just step up into the pocket and trust the OL. If he does that, he’s almost definitely a better passer than Skelton. Let’s just hope the rest did him good.

Honestly, I have fairly high hopes for next year. Our defense is really stepping up and learning the new system. Our Special Teams is rock solid. Don’t know the stats but they have to be near the top of the league. If we shore up our OL a bit and get a solid #2 WR to take some pressure off of Fitz, I think we’re close to a top tier team.

22. By Dan Becker on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Should have played Skelton all last year and this year

Saved the money spent on Kolb to get a receiver.

Kolbs 5 yr career QB rating is 75.9

Skeltons 2yr career QB rating is 59.9

How many millions did that less than 20 points cost ?

23. By jocards on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Why on earth would any team, especially the Rams be kicking the ball to Patrick Peterson?!? With our offense being as challenged as it is I would think that opposing teams would make them put together a drive or two in order to score rather than putting the ball in the hands of one of the few playmakers we have….Keep kicking him the ball please!

24. By Dale Must on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Skelton may make stupid mistakes, but the team as a whole is operating more productive. How is Howling-Smith doing? He’s small, but fast. He’s from my hometown

25. By Dale Must on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

In a previous comment, I asked about Howlings- Smith. Wrong name. Larod Stephens Howling is from my hometown of Johnstown, Pa. Smith would make a good WR. Although small, he’s got speed and moves once he gets the ball

26. By Chris Lewis on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

reply to sean’s comments regarding Kolb/Skelton:

Are you kidding me? Skelton’s doing a good job? Sure his record is 3-1, but it isn’t because of his stellar play that we’re 3-1. I’m not sure how many picks he has in those 4 games, but I know it’s at least 7. His completion percentage is not good either. Even in his win this week against the woeful Rams, his numbers were terrible. Besides Beanie’s big game this week and Peterson’s returns, our defense is mainly the reason we’re 3-1 in the last 4 games. I can’t believe how many overthrown balls I’ve seen from Skelton. It’s tough to watch. He’s definitely not the answer. All you have to do is go back to last year, if my memory serves me correct, we finished 5-11. If we keep Skelton in as starter, it’s not going to be much better this year. Skelton should not only be a backup, but in my opinion, a 3rd stringer behind Bartel. We haven’t really given Kolb a chance. This is his first year in Arizona, not to mention a whole new offensive system, plus he didn’t even have a normal offseason to prepare. I also think a lot of the blame should go to the OL, which is underachieving to say the least. With those big bodies, they should be man handling the defense. Instead, it seems like our QBs are constantly under pressure. So, to Skelton’s credit, he might be somewhat more successful if he had more protection, but he’s still not a starting QB. I still believe in Kolb. I think if he stays healthy, he’ll finish this year strong and really shine next year.

27. By Rocky on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

The whole point to me comes down to potential…. and mechanics… look at peyton Mannings rookie season… come on… but you could see the potential…
    Eli manning replaces Kurt Warner for the Giants… they loose the following 8 games… but there again… you could see his potential… Kolb vs, Skelton.. let’s get real… I was all for this trade…( kolb for DRC ) but after watching Him play up close… there are some things apparent that learning the SYSTEM will not fix… 1.kolb can not see over the o- line… you cant throw to what you can’t see… they want to keep him in the pocket… he rolls out for a reason.. he cant see… 2. kolb does not progress through his reads.. he only sees one or two options out of the four wide set… check the film… numerous recievers running wide open… he can not find them… SKELTON… 1.. throws the ball high… solution.. fix his arm slot… esily repaired.. 2. most of his interceptions seem to be from not really understanding the routes,,, but at least he progresses tthrough his options.. (reads ) HOW SWEET WAS IT TO FINALLY HAVE SOMEONE LOOK FOR ROBERTS AND DUECET… AND FIND THEM!!!!! give SKELTON THE SAME TIME PEYTON GOT.. ELI GOT… HIS RECORD SHOWS HE IS A WINNER.. with the little time he has had… I think our answer could be already signed .. on the bench.. for the league minnimum prob.. Just thinking outloud..

28. By tom watson on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

When all of you guys become GMs in the NFL and your job is on the line to pick which player is better then your opinion will count for more than what it does now.

29. By NJAZCardsFan on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

For the game against the Cowboys….. I would really like to see Skelton beat the Cowboys this year at home. Nothing is better than a Cards win against the Cowboys and watching Jerry Jones get PO’d……

30. By Scott H on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

OK, Kolb it is. But he needs to play better than he has, pure and simple. Not trying to ne negative but if Kolb is back for the next 5 games and it’s just a continuation of how he was prior to the injury….how psyched can we be going into next year?

This game against the Cowboys is a tough one to call. If the Cowboys are “on,” I don’t see how the Cardinals even keep it close. That passing game against our secondary??? Yikes. But, hey…as they showed in games against the Eagles and Dolphins, the Cowboys can be pretty ordinary. Although I would prefer NOT to take this angle on a game, I think we have to hope the Cowboys are off their game or maybe focused elsewhere.

31. By Prashant on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren

How do you think Stewart Bradley played yesterday?

32. By Andy M on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Kolb v. Skelton? Both are young and have the potential to become good NFL quarterbacks. Kolb is in his fifth year and Skelton is only in his second year after playing in a low-end collegiate system. Both have above-average arms and above average intellect. The Cardinals have to see what Kolb can do with learning the system. Skelton came back to earth in his last two games but I thought he stepped-up nicely in the second half of the Rams game. What everyone has to recognize, is that a back-up quarterback in the NFL is only a play away from being a first stringer–how do you think Warner got his opportunity? Not many teams can boast having a second string QB that can step in with big production. Anyone see Vince Young and all his credentials yesterday? Kolb can and will improve. Hopefully, he stays healthy. If not there is a better than average back-up who might become a better than average starting quarterback. We have not heard the last of John Skelton. Rather than rail on either one, we should realize that both will become more productive with time and we have two decent talents.

33. By Scott H on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Geez, how can ya not feel bad for Matt Leinart??? This guy just seems cursed at this point. I feel like we will NEVER know if he can play in the NFL or not…because he’ll never stay healthy long enough. If I’m not mistaken, the injury he suffered yesterday is the same one he had back in 2007 that opened the door for Warner to resurrect himself in Arizona. As a Cards fan, I’m glad it worked out that way for us. But…now that he’s somewhere else, I just wish this guy could catch a break ( somewhere other than his shoulder! ).

34. By Dennis McClure on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

We have 3 good quarterbacks. We do not as of yet have a “starting quarterback” and are a long ways away from having a “franchise” quarterback. We need someone to step forward in all four quarters and take it to the “next level”. Being just good is okay for a back-up quarterback, but what we need is a “starting quarterback” with the potential to be a francise quarterback.

35. By emm7777 on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

I have been a Skelton fan since the beginning. With that being said, I am anxious to see Kolb back as our starter for the rest of the year. If we all just step back and look at our QB situation realistically, we realize neither one of our guys are playing at an acceptable level. I have high hopes for Skelton in the future, but he isn’t playing well. I hope Kolb can make a believer out of me.

But now, with our D and ST playing at this level, all we need are some damn first downs on offense! We will be pretty good then!

Thank you for the excellent work, Darren. I’m grateful you work for the team I like.

36. By Pheenic on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Dan, those 20 points are a TON.

37. By ross on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren, is Beanie’s knee a long term concern, i.e. will the offseason surgery make it good as new, or will this have a tendency to reoccur throughout his career?

38. By Jacob on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. The main difference between Kolb going 1-6 and Skelton going 3-1 as starters this season is the defense. Kolb had a unit which we getting shredded, giving up loads of yards, couldn’t stop a single offense and gave up 4th quarter leads. Skelton has had a defense which gave up no TD in the first game against the Rams (as well as a couple 4th down stops), which limited one of the league’s most explosive offenses against the Eagles, which did a great job stopping the 49ers in the first half (even though in the entire game they ended up being on the field for almost 45 minutes!) and did another great job against the Rams this weekend. Kolb put us in position to win against the Redskins, Giants and Ravens, but the defense let us down. Kolb is much more solid than Skelton, and we’re forgetting that he hasn’t even had a proper offseason to prepare and get used to our offense, and he has a dreadful O-Line who cannot pass protect. I think if Kolb has a full offseason, has improvements on the O-Line, and has the defense and running game that have shown themselves in recent games, then we will be fine next season,

39. By cards62 on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Well a victory over Thanksgiving weekend is always nice.

All of us have been waiting for 3 years for Beanie to break out and we were finally rewarded today. Keep up the good work Beanie.

Our defense is improving.Still far from great but nice to see some coaching is actually taking place.

Sam Acho wow I thought I was watching 2 D. Washington’s on the field. Can not wait until we get # 3 and # 4.

Patrick Peterson speed speed speed. I love it when the ball is in his hands.

Sorry guys but whenever I see Mike Adams in our secondary I know it is just a matter of time until he is going to be burned. Nice guy, but I can not recall a worse CB in my life.

QB play – I read a lot of good comments concerning this subject and I am in the position of most of you in that I am in favor of it, good QB play. I will root for whomever we start, but I can not fault the coaches for who they play. Both guys have not played well and neither is getting any better or making me feel good about our QB position for the future. I would just like to see our QB go like 20-30 with 250 yards a game especially when we are running the ball so well and the defense does not know what is coming. Guys I truly feel next year is Ken W. last year if the season goes like this season and last season, and nothing is more important than QB. I always remember the comment by Jerry Glanville on why he traded B. Favre to the Packers. He was a 3 year project and I was on a two year contract. I think Ken W. knows he has to have QB settled before next season starts.

Go Cards beat the Cowboys

40. By Darren Urban on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Prashant -

RE: Bradley

Honestly, I didn’t notice him, so I couldn’t tell you.

41. By BIG RED on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Skelton over Kolb anytime. Pocket QB against a running backward QB anytime. Youth against a supposely veteran QB. 3-1 against 1-6 QB. Sure Kolb’s games where close, but who gave the other teams the chance to score first and take a big leads with his stupid mistakes…. right Kolb did. No brainer Skelton over Kolb anytime. Skelton is young and learning. Looks like the Oline plays united with Skelton and it seems when Kolb plays, it go’s back to the way they where playing when Lienart was the QB. If you know what I mean…..O`lay. And so does the Defense. It’s not Skelton’s fault that when his in playing ,theirs some magic on the special teams. Whats wrong with a little luck, as long as our team wins, period.

42. By Darren Urban on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Ross -

RE: Beanie injury

Until we know what exactly it is – and those who know aren’t telling – that’s impossible to say.

43. By BIG RED on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

It’s time to start chanting we need a Qb coach and an Offensive coach. I just hope Skelton starts against the ladygirls, this week. If there’s anybody that would enjoy beating the girls, its John Skelton. A texan beating on the team from texas.

44. By DRD on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

I fully understand why Kolb will be the starting QB when he is healthy and that’s OK, even though I really think John Skelton is a good QB and has a bright future. In my opinion, Skelton and Bartel both physically throw the ball better than Kolb, but that doesn’t mean Kolb won’t be the better QB. I just wish Kolb could see over the linemen like Skelton can. I like to look at it as having 3 pretty good QB’s and hopefully one of them will rise to the top and become a franchise player. For those criticizing Skelton and his QB rating, he had a higher rating than Sam Bradford in the first Rams game and a higher rating that Michael Vick in the Eagles game. Some are saying that the defense won the games for Skelton, but if I remember correctly, Kolb’s only win came against the Panthers as a result of a punt return by PP. Some criticize Skelton for beating the Rams (2) and Eagles because they are weak. I would suggest that the Vikings, Seahawks, and Redskins are pretty weak and Kolb was unable to lead us to victory. I hope Kolb plays well against the Cowboys and that the team rallies around him like they do for Skelton. If you look around the league, many QB’s are struggling and teams who have to go 2 or 3 deep on the depth chart are having a problem. I have confidence in all 3 or our QB’s that they can get the job done, if needed.

45. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

Okay Darren, brass tacks here.
    IYO, does Wells play through pain enough?
    And I realize that’s a quantitative question and the sport is violent, but I’ve seen Cards play with torn biceps (Wilson), torn elbow ligament (Warner) and a guy whose head nearly fell off (Boldin).
    He did yesterday, but is that the feeling going towards or an aberration?

46. By CreditCard on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

I know the game is more complicated than what I’m about to write …. Appears to me Levi Brown cannot pass block, due to his slow leg turn-over rate. This is especially true against an atheltic and quick DEs. However, his run blocking skills are average, and his ability to pull or down block, are above average. Since he barely touches a DE on a pass play; shouldn’t the coaches tell Brown to run block on all plays — at least he would have contact with the DE vs. whiffing the DE.

The Cards need to address the OL and the OL coach in the off season. It is hard for any Cardinal QB to be competitivein this league with one eye fixed on the left DE and their other eye fixed on the right DE.

47. By FanSinceLomax on Nov 28, 2011 | Reply

We aren’t going to the playoffs of course.
    Skelton looked off the last two games especially, and really only made a couple decent plays.
    In fact the first rams game at home, things got pretty ugly in stretches of that game.
    He did make a play to win the game, but the only reason why it was close was outstanding defense and special teams.
    The Eagles game he played much better in my opinion, and his mistakes are forgivable being a young guy.
    The eagles game was his best played game this year, and after that, the wheels came off and showed why he isn’t the future, but he is a decent back up.
    Kolb should be played the rest of the year, without a doubt.
    However Skelton has at least proven, he can make plays when it counts, even if he can downright look horrible at times.
    If Kolb can’t come in and show improvement or make some plays, beyond that of QBs on our roster. We should walk away from him (there is a clause in the contract to do just that.)
    We traded him to be the Franchise QB, and at this point he has proven to be mildly better than a back up and even that is a debate within itself.
    I don’t know if I have even seen that much of a flash out of Kolb to be honest.
    Start him the rest of the year, and if there is serious doubt, walk away.
    No need to make next year a losing season, with all the progress, the defense and running game has made.
    Sign some free agents on the offensive line and draft the best one. Make sure we don’t resign Levi Brown, get a WR (cut Andre Roberts).
    With Kolb gone either make a trade for a proven QB, or Draft one we can build this team around to grow with the younger players on this team.
    Honestly if we would have gotten good QB play this year, we would have easily won the Ravens game, Redskins game, Seahawks game, and even had a chance to win the Vikings game.
    The 49ers game was winnable too, the second half the defense got tired.
    In fact every game this year, we would have had a better chance.
    We could have easily had about the same record as the 49ers, if Kolb would have played better.

48. By bill dunn on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Keep giving the playing experience and executing the Cardinal system to both
    during this lost season. It will pay off in the future. I agree with one comment that
    instead of arguing which QB is better for the team,be happy we have two. I hope
    they both play in Dallas and get the needed experience for next year.

49. By bill dunn on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

I hope they both get the chance to play against Dallas. We have two future
    strong quarterbacks.

50. By cardsalltheway on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Kolb ~ OMG I hope not. Johnny S. hasn’t looked good but certainly better than Kolb. I say give Richard Bartel a chance. Kolb should be our # 3 QB if things were fair.

51. By cardsalltheway on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

tom watson,
    I’m happy with what I do now and don’t have a desire to be a GM, my opinion is equal to all others on this blog and I’m satisfied with that. You, on the other hand sound power hungry. Good luck with that!

52. By Jason on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

I only look at our record with each QB. I know Skelton looks terrible for the most part throwing 50% but he has abetter record than Kolb. He is 3-1 and Kolb is not even close. I knwo Kolb had a developing defense and I like his accurancy so it is hard to say. Kolb needs to hang in the pocket longer or take off going forward. HIs scrambling backwards is unbarable to watch. It is the worst move I have seen out of a QB in some time. I have hope for both QB’s

53. By cardsalltheway on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

I’m no hater, but to those that thrive on the aforementioned then Kolb is no better than M. Leinart. It’s obvious where the disease originates. Get well to both,but let’s not show favorites just because of money.

54. By jocards on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

@ Rocky

You are not seriously trying to draw a valid parallel between John Skelton’s early struggles and those of the Manning brothers, are you? Those guys were first round picks out of division one schools, coming out of Fordham in the late rounds is quite a different story wouldn’t you say? I understand the point you’re trying to make and I have some hope that Skelton can someday develop into at least a serviceable NFL QB but he is NOT Peyton or Eli Manning and likely never will be. John Skelton is a MAJOR project.

55. By Darren Urban on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Beanie

He’s missed one game this year. That’s it, and that’s all I can look at.

56. By SteveDCO on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Wow….that’s all I can really say.

Kolb is 60%+ accuracey every year he has started games. He was NFC player of the week twice.

As for Kolb not being able to see over the OL, you realize he is 1″ taller than Warner and 3″ taller than Drew Brees.

How can anyone say he doesn’t belong starting. Please go back and watch the Philly games he started.

Kolb needs time to learn the system. He rolls to much as he gets antsy sitting in the pocket not knowing the right reads. He throws low not trusting his receivers. That will all come in time.

Skelton was 47.6% accuracy in 2010. I like Skelton and think he may be a good QB in time but he still needs a lot of work.

I get it. The back-up QB is the most popular guy on the team and the O-Line is always the most maligned group on the team followed closely by the DBs.

When Matt Leinart went down for the season in Houston NFL Netwrok said it was the best thing that could happen to the team as he looked awful out there playing King of the Check Down Pass.

You have to give Whiz credit for cutting him knowing that he would never be close to the guy.

57. By Mike in Mesa on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Kevin

One of the pics was not Skeltons fault. It was the offensive lines fault. His arm was hit in his throwing motion from behind. Nothing he can do about that. The first pic was his fault however. He struggled early, but like Tebow he seems to know how to win.

58. By Mike in Mesa on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Rich

If Kolb goes 0-fer the rest of the season, you can bet there’s going to be a QB controversy. I guess Kolb’s almost 6 wins are more impressive than Skeltons almost 3 losses. If the Cardinals are stupid enough to cut Skelton I guarantee that he will be snapped up by other teams.

59. By Brian on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

BIG RED

The big leads that you claim Kolb “allowed” the other teams to get out to, that was 1 team, Minnesota, all the other games were close throughout so don’t use that as your argument. They were a team on the verge of going 0-5 and needed a win at home in a very tough place to visit(I was there, that place is a dump, but it is LOUD). The odds were against us from the start. And don’t say the Oline is more united when Skelton is back there. Not sure if you remember the Washington game but I’m pretty sure everyone talked about that moment when Kolb hit Larry while getting rocked as being the reason everyone on the team liked and respected him. Skelton hasn’t had to play the pass rush of the Steelers, Giants, Ravens and Vikings. And when he did play the 49ers the stats speak for themselves. I agree Skelton has talent and I will say that I do believe he will have a decent NFL career. I only argue against you because you talk about how you know talent when you see it but yet the talent you have seen in Skelton has thrown 7 ints in 4 games and had to be bailed out by the running game, defense and special teams in each of those 3 wins. Records don’t speak for themselves in this QB comparison. Kolb is basically a rookie in this scheme so I still can’t see how you can say “no brainer, Skelton over Kolb anytime”. You don’t even want to give the guy a fair chance. All you want to do is hate on the guy w/ the big contract because he hasn’t picked up something you couldn’t do in a million years but you expect him to pick it up in 4 months. Everyone is frustrated w/ the season including myself but COME ON, give a guy a chance and don’t say he doesn’t have talent.

60. By cards62 on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Mike in Mesa

Who said Skelton is being cut? No one because he is not.
    Skelton is young and he is cheap so he will be on our roster for 2 or 3 more years minimum unless some team wants to trade for him.
    I just hope he gets better.

SteveDCO are you freakin kidding me?

Give Whisenhunt credit for cutting Leinart a week before the season starts on a guy he worked with for 2 or 3 years. If Whisenhunt wanted credit he should have cut Leinart after the 2009 season and brought us in a QB for the 2010 season.
    This lack of knowing your team could cost Whisenhunt his job next year.

I hope Whisenhunt rebounds but Coach and GM Rod Graves have made some major mistakes the last few years.

Go Cards beat the Cowboys!

61. By Chuck 1 on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Big Red,

You hit the nail on the head.
    Whiz needs to dismiss the Millers.

62. By Chuck 1 on Nov 29, 2011 | Reply

Dennis,

I think that most fans would disagree with you when you say that the team has “three GOOD QBs”.

I’m thinking specifically of Helter Skelter. Check his stats that Darren posted on a different thread.

And, I don’t believe that one could say that Kolb is a “GOOD QB” (YET).

How do we know about Bartell? He has barely seen the field.

63. By tony romo himself on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

the fins have a great defense. they only let 20 total combined points last 3 games before cowboys dropped 20. you should be scared of the passing attack because austin is back and cowboys have a great running game which opens everything.

64. By BIG RED on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Brain we’ll see who has a longer career.

2. Nov 28, 2011: Will Kolb play vs. Dallas in Week 13? » Cardinals Gab