One call for three Cards Pro Bowlers — including A-Dub

Posted by Darren Urban on November 30, 2011 – 12:40 pm

The guys at ProFootballFocus.com watch all the games every week and grade and break down all the players. So it makes sense they would have a big-picture view of those worthy for the Pro Bowl and today, site founder Neil Hornsby put together a list of who he feels should make the Pro Bowl thus far, based on the totality of the work.

The Cards may be 4-7, but Hornsby put three Cards on the NFC squad, all as starters: Patrick Peterson as a return man, Larry Fitzgerald as a wide receiver and, wait for it … Adrian Wilson at safety.

It’s been a quiet year for A-Dub since the regular season started, in more ways than one. He was playing with his biceps injury, and he had a big red-zone interception the second game against Washington. He, like the entire defense, took some time to find a comfort zone in Ray Horton’s new scheme, and the communications issues in the secondary — along with the oft-painful growing pains of cornerbacks Peterson and A.J. Jefferson — didn’t reflect well. With the team losing games too, Wilson has often been a ghost when the media is around too. It’s not hard to see he has been frustrated.

Clearly, though, Wilson has put together a solid season as it has progressed, and video analysis has shown it.

Hornsby didn’t analyze Wilson in the web story, so I asked him to do it for me. Wilson has had a “very consistent, very balanced all-round performance with underneath coverage being a strong suit,” Hornsby wrote in an e-mail. “Giving up less than 50% completions when thrown at and has a passer rating of 66.8 into his coverage. Areas to work on: Cutting back on penalties and getting better value than two hits and four pressures from his 46 blitzes.”

Wilson has 45 tackles this season, with five tackles for loss, the pick, three quarterback pressures and 10 pass deflections.

Hornsby also noted he really, really likes the play of defensive end Calais Campbell and linebacker Daryl Washington, and the only reason they aren’t on the list is because of the talent depth at the positions in the NFC.

By the way, here is Hornsby’s take on Fitz, whose catches are way down (51) but he already has 888 yards and six touchdowns with five games to go: “(Calvin) Johnson is an awesome specimen but surely the best receiver in football is Fitzgerald. With what he’s had thrown at him the last couple of years most players would have crumbled, but he’s done more to impress me in this period than he did when the great Kurt Warner was his teammate – and he was brilliant then.”

Tags: , , , , ,

26 Responses to “One call for three Cards Pro Bowlers — including A-Dub”

1. By MIKE G on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–I think Fitz and Peterson will make the Pro Bowl for the Card’s this year.There still are 5 games left and it is too early for that talk. Its nice Wilson and some of the younger players are getting some ink. Wilson is having a nice rebound year as are some of the other players. Unfortunately, teams with winning records seem to have the most players make the Pro Bowl.

2. By SteveG. on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Nice to hear some positive and documented feedback in a tough year.

I realize what I don’t see when the guys who know what they are looking at and have the ability to review tape talk about players.

Sometimes, what I see is not what really happened eg. interception was a bad route but pinned on the QB and so many other situations. I am always amazed at the specificity of some of the “fans” on here, when unless they have the playbook, don’t know what was SUPPOSED to happen but somehow, always know who to blame.

3. By SteveG. on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Darren

This is a nice piece about Chester McGlockton who passed today at 42, see what U think about sharing.

4. By D on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Good job Darren. Did you read the recap on their website about Sunday’s game, they thought Colledge had his best day as a pro

5. By TMo on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

What’s the word on Dockett? I think he is having a solid year in a different role under this D.

6. By TucsonTim on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Too bad the players aren’t actually chosen this way. High praise for A-dub. I think everyone has to feel good about the defense. They have gotten consistently better.

7. By Everett on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

it’s always good to see confirmation of stellar play,tho struggling in a number of areas it’s heartening to see some of the young guns(Washington,Acho,Peterson) develop. On another note,as a Canadian fan of the Cards and also a fan of the CFL’s B.C.Lions there is a young man that played for them OT that is now a free agent and pursuing the NFL dream,he would definately fill a Cardinal need.Only 24 with 2 years of pro experience,runner-up in the top lineman award and strong as an ox with a nasty attitude and quick feet..and still developing..remember the name..Jovan Olifioye.In 18 games,didn’t allow a sack.

8. By Darren Urban on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

TMo –

RE: Dockett

I think he’s had his moments too. Played well in St. Louis and he always seems to play well vs Dallas.

9. By Austin on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Personally I think it would be a shame not D. Washington at least as an alternate. He’s been all over the feild this season making plays or at the very least forcing the ball carrier into other tacklers. It seemed like he was in on almost every single play of the Philly game. I am excited to watch him progress throughout his career.

10. By Rugbymuffin on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Darren!!!!!

Did you just post an article that said that the QB that our organization is choosing to play this weekend is a …………….:barf:……….. Cowboy fan ?

Does he realize what he just said/did ?

…..I think………I think I am going to be sick.

11. By Scott H on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

I would love to see peterson make the Pro Bowl, but…as a special teamer? Don’t know about that with Hester in the NFC and having a great year himself. And as a CB? Don’t think he’s anywhere near Pro Bowl level yet. Some day, definitely. Probably not this year.

12. By Cards36 on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

I noticed that Peterson replaced LSR on the Pro Bowl ballot. Do you know the reason?

Thanks,

13. By Craig J - Dallas Fan on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

I find it noteworthy that Fitz and the new kid Peterson make the Pro bowl. You should have seen all the talk of combining draft picks to get up high enough to get Patrick Peterson. It was clearly nonsense considering how important it is to protect your franchise QB (and backup QB’s if the starter changes for any reason). Thank God some of our posters aren’t the Dallas GM. Our team would be in shambles. I, personally, don’t think Jerry is doing too bad a job. Every team wishes they were stronger at different positions. I have been praying for a safety like Adrian Wilson in the draft. Although, I haven’t seen him in coverage lately. Look forward to playing you. . . . DallasSaint

14. By Darren Urban on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Rugby –

RE: Players as fans growing up

Gosh, I am hoping you don’t expect these guys to not be fans before they became pro football players. You know Fitz grew up a Vikings fan, right? Even worked for them.

15. By dre 1368 on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

yeah d wash for sure should be there the dude is a beast.

16. By Darren Urban on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Cards36 –

RE: Pro Bowl ballot

If that’s true — I didn’t look — I think it’s pretty easy to know why, right?

17. By rio on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

PRO BOWL PRO BOWL DON’T TALK TO ME ABOUT THE PRO BOWL

18. By Keith on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

NFC must be hurting on safety depth, enough said.

19. By Steve on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Darren: Can you explain to me why it is that the Cards mgmt in my opinion, compared to most other teams, usually waits until the last season of a players contract before deciding to “open negotiations” in an effort to extend that players contract such as in the case of DE Calais Campbell? Campbell is so close to being a free agent now that to wait and see whats out there is probably in his best interest. Once he hits the market, he wont be back. Why are the Bidwills not aggressive enough when it comes to tying up their good young talent long before a player is set to become a free agent? They always have plenty of money under the cap yet players like Karlos Danby are put on the backburner until the last second. No one is really surprised that Campbell is a good young player, he’s proven it every season that he’s been in the NFL and he could be a vital cog to the Cards D for years if he stays.

20. By BIG RED on Nov 30, 2011 | Reply

Well, I guess we’re gonna lose this game, with Kolb playing. I guess that’s the way the cookie crumbles. I was hoping Skelton would play, reason cause JS doesn’t like the girls and Kolb grew up admiring the girls,so he might be watching the game instead of wanting to beat the crap out of the girls. If kolb is alittle bit rusty get him out quick and put in John Skelton, don’t wait to long coach Whiz.

21. By Darren Urban on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Steve –

RE: Contract philosophy/Campbell

The general philosophy came about a few years ago to wait until the final year because they were feeling there were too many players looking for a new deal almost as soon as the a new one was signed (see: Boldin, Anquan and Dockett, Darnell). They want to create a clear line of how business would be done.

I think it is oversimplifying this idea of not locking up players. The only one I can think falls under the category of “They wanted him but he got away despite an effort to keep” was Dansby, and that was complicated by what they saw as a lack of work ethic early on when they could have locked him up and then his quest for a huge deal on the back side (remember, the Cards and Dansby’s agent had agreed to an extension only to have Dansby scotch the deal; I have long believed that, beyond the money, Karlos wanted to get back closer to home in the East.)

As for Campbell, you make a good point and frankly, I am surprised we have gone this long. I am not sure why, and you are correct in assuming that could bode badly in terms of him returing. We will see how it plays out. I don’t know the money being discussed and both sides have been underground about it, so I don’t know what is going on.

22. By Eazy E on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

All the Adrian Wilson haters, where y’all at? It is simple why a-wil is having a great season; New and improved scheme with ray, not injured and bicep is much better, and he’s a great player and one of the best safeties and dbs PERIOD! To doubt a-wil’s talents is not smart on whoever’s part including these cards fans that love to bash him.

23. By Eazy E on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

The other 2 are obvious: Larry is having a phenomenal year and if he had a real #2 opposite him and much better QB, it would be even better. Patrick is an easy one, now Hester is a beast and having a great season too, so hopefully both can go.

24. By Alberto Sordi on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

This isn’t Chicago regarding stuffing thr ballots. No Cards deserve to be on the Pro Bowl. Maybe Peterson, if that.

2. Nov 30, 2011: One call for three Cards Pro Bowlers — including A-Dub
  3. Feb 13, 2012: Word From the Birds BlogWilson’s workload was heaviest in NFL «