Kolb set to start and Horton’s “supreme confidence”

Posted by Darren Urban on December 2, 2011 – 1:28 pm

It’s been the plan all week, but quarterback Kevin Kolb will start Sunday against the Cowboys — unless something horrible happens, like his big toe swells up while sleeping Saturday night. I don’t think that’s a big concern.

Saying that Friday his toe and foot injuries were “the best its felt” since he got hurt, Kolb said “I don’t see any reason it would keep me from playing.” Kolb said it was a “huge difference” from a week ago Friday, when he was just getting back to regular practice work.

“It looks pretty good that he’s going to play,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “I’m not going to say, ‘Yes, he’ll play’ and then something happens between now and then with his foot, because it really comes down to the soreness. But it looks like he’ll play.”

Game speed is the biggest concern, and Kolb just doesn’t want to let his mind race away from him, instead trusting in his reads. He added he did benefit from digesting the offense from the sideline. “Shoot, the way we operated today (in practice), it looked like it helped a little bit. Hopefully it’ll help on Sunday.”

As for the pressure on Kolb to come back and be successful — essentially with the same expectations everyone had to begin the season — Kolb waved it off. “There’s been pressure on me since I was a seventh grader in middle school,” Kolb said. “I really try to block it all out. … To say I never think about it, I’d be lying. But I really just try and go out and play the game the way I know how.”

– Defensive coordinator Ray Horton said there has been “quite a bit” added to the defensive playbook for this game. “We are probably right now where I wish we would have been Week 2,” Horton said. “It’s fun, because these guys want to be good and they want to come after people.”

That was always the hangup. The parts of the defense Horton has slowly put back in have been the exotic blitzes and pressures that are supposed to be the signature of the scheme.

“I have now supreme confidence to call anything on my list,” Horton said. “If you go back to the Seattle game Week 3, there was nothing on our list to call.”

Tags: ,

22 Responses to “Kolb set to start and Horton’s “supreme confidence””

1. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Hope the D rocks! Two more sacks for CC n Acho so we can have a “sack off” for the rest of the season!

2. By jason on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren just wondering but has there been anything going on behind the scenes with Kurt Warner and the quarterbacks on the team about learning this offense since he still lives in the area and might be able to point out some small things to look for to get the offense more consistent.

3. By remy on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

i have a feeling Kolb will have his best game of the year Sunday! as for our d it is getting better but Darren what do you think is our number 1 concern on defense to address at the end of the year and if we get rid of porter and Haggens this off season what kinda of cap would that free up and how likely is it that our o-line looks way different next year and any status on r. Williams?

4. By Darren Urban on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Jason —

RE: Warner as coach

As I have said many, many, many times, Kurt has no desire to coach. He’s busy as an NFL Network analyst. He’s been to the facility a few times to say hey, but he’s not coaching.

5. By jason on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

I never, never, never said anything about coaching i was just asking about giving insights into the offense that could help. Thank you for your time and patience.

6. By Nick Pepe on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

I am really excited about our defense. They are starting to shine.

Beanie running hard and it seems he has a little extra attitude in his runs.

My oldest brother is a Cowboys fan and he was
    part of the reason I became a Cardinal fan some 40 years ago. It is still a rivalry in my
    eyes. And no, he is not welcome in my house this weekend.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

7. By Bob-O on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

it looks and sounds like they are becoming the Stars that the coaching staff thought they would be….almost got cross eyed on that one.(no offense to anyone who is cross eyed) I hope i’m not the only one but I’m starting to feel like they have a deep rooted chemistry going on and this is what is making the team pull together. like schmelting gold.

DARKSIDE HOOOOOOOOT!!!!! MEAN BIRDS HOOOOOOOOOT!!!!! SHUT EM DOWN SHUT EM DOWN, SHUT, SHUT EM DOWN!!!! TIME FOR SOME PUSH-UPS!! I WANT TO SEE A RECEIVER BOUNCE OFF A-DUB LIKE THAT PHILLY GAME. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Hi Darren.

8. By Darren Urban on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Remy —

RE: Questions

1) The cap hit from Porter/Haggans is minimal.They aren’t making a ton.
    2) There will be changes to the o-line probably, especially since Levi is set to make a ton of money in 2012.
    3) Williams is rehabbing and on pace to return next year.

9. By Darren Urban on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Jason —

RE: Warner question

Apologize for misinterpreting. Although it falls under the same category. I don’t see him offering up help.

10. By jason on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

No worries on the Warner question i guess i was just looking for hope that the offense could start to gel together like it seems the defense is beginning to do. But i know Kolb just needs to put more time in. Thanks again for your time.

11. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

That’s a great (reassuring) quote for Horton, and it’s backed-up with the play of the defense in recent weeks. Hopefully Dockett and everyone else are quite a bit more happy with the new direction than they were early in the year.

12. By Jzoully on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

bring on the key defensive additions for free agency then add depth in the draft

13. By Dylan on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Darren-

Could you give us more information about Kerry Rhodes i read he was back on your post. on a limited practice. what does that mean for the cardinals will he play next week hopefully

14. By Darren Urban on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Dylan —

RE: Rhodes

It’s early in the process. I’d guess he’s still a couple weeks away.

15. By wayne on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

I am glad to have kevin Kolb back to lead this team, John Skelton, I know his stats were not great (last 2 not good at all) but he has some experience now as a backup QB and it is good for the team if it does happen again, now we need the defense to keep playing the way it has when Skelton is behind the center and not the way earlier in the season.

C’mon Cards lets beat the S*** out of the Cowboys!

16. By dikaslogos on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

I sincerely hope I am wrong about Kolb. I don’t think he has the courage or mind-set to play competitively in the NFL.

17. By Dylan on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Daren-

Thanks for the update and sorry for making you do extra work sense you included it in the Friday Before the Rams piece

18. By mr. bamboosaul on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

tony romo will hav a breakout game against the yardbirds, expect a blowout cowboys 44 yardbirds 10. super bowl bound baby!!!

19. By cardsalltheway on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Jason,
    Warner did help. He helped Matt Leinart and Ken W. cut that help in a heartbeat. I’d bet Warner would rather help someone who appreciated it. Please, no mentoring our QB’s.

20. By brandon on Dec 2, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, From what I hear, warners house is up for sale. Does this mean he is leaving az or just to a different house ?

21. By Darren Urban on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Brandon —

RE: Warner house

I don’t know, to be honest. If he’s going to keep working in L.A. for the NFL Network, I don’t know why he would leave Az right now.

22. By Michelle on Dec 3, 2011 | Reply

Obviously we have a Cowboys fan on here…hating like always! We beat the cowgirls last year with a crappy QB we can do it this year too!!! PLEASE D we need you to play hard!! Lets G
    Go Red Birds!!