Cowboys aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on December 4, 2011 – 11:02 pm

After LaRod Stephens-Howling did his primal scream after his touchdown and then was mobbed by his teammates – and it was a serious mob – linebacker O’Brien Schofield grabbed The Hyphen and tossed him over his shoulder like he was his little brother.

He carried him “probably, like, 15 yards,” Schofield said. “I was so happy. It was one of those moments where you gotta pick him up. He put the team on his back on that play.”

What exactly are the odds of two straight home games ending in a Cardinals’ 19-13 overtime win? Astronomical, obviously. Suddenly, a .500 record – remember, one goal at a time – is reasonable, with the Cards back to 5-7. This team was 1-6 and Kolb had just gotten injured. That seems like a long time ago.

The difference has been the defense. “You don’t see guys laying around talking about, ‘Woulda, shoulda,’ ” defensive tackle Darnell Dockett said, and while that’s a good sign, a better sign is simply how you see the Cards playing. They are getting more pressure because they can handle coverage when they blitz and they are simply making more plays. Patrick Peterson flashed against Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant – after missing a tackle on his very first chance of the game – and Tony Romo never got in a rhythm. Dallas’ running game certainly never did.

That was good enough until Kevin Kolb and the offense came around, and then the Cards got a little luck with the late missed field goal.

– Kolb’s return looked very shaky when he started. The one that stuck out was his third-down pass to tight end Rob Housler right before the Cards’ first field goal. Housler was wide-open, and Kolb’s pass went diving into the turf as he looked like he aimed it instead of throwing it.

“It’s just disappointment,” Kolb said. “I got caught in between trying to take off and trying to make the throw. Wow, what a bad play. Thank God we came back and won it.”

– Kolb might have had a comeback in regulation. He made a fantastic laser throw against his body on third down that picked up a first down with three minutes left in the fourth quarter – except Early Doucet dropped the pass. Sure, the drive could have stalled right away, but the Cowboys may not have had a chance to drive for a field goal. I didn’t get a chance to talk to Doucet, but I’d guess he was very, very happy with the way it turned out.

– No Peterson punt return fun today. Cowboys punter Mat McBriar is one of the best directional punters in the game, and he killed it on this day. Of his five punts, Peterson field just one that he tried to return, and that was so tight up against the sideline that Peterson grabbed it and basically fell out of bounds for a one-yard play.

“I knew that was going to happen,” Peterson said. “They didn’t want me to attempt to break the record in my backyard. That’s what four touchdowns come with – pinning me out of bounds, giving me a coffin kick, and not giving me an opportunity.”

– Everyone wanted to know why the Cards wanted Dave Zastudil to be the punter. Today was why. He had some booming kicks, averaged better than 50 yards a punt, and rescued the Cards from some very poor field position.

– When the Cards were struggling on offense, Dockett was asked, what was the defense thinking? Dock pondered it for a moment. “We got a running style-team,” Dockett said. “I don’t know how y’all look at it, but me, we’ve got some bulldogs up front. Run the ball. It wears them down. So me, I was just like, ‘Give it to 2-6.’ ”

Beanie Wells wasn’t great but he was good. He had 67 yards and a touchdown on 20 carries. In the end, the Cards ran it 25 times and threw it 25 times. Even if you count two of Kolb’s three rushes as passes that turned to scrambles, it was still 23-27. Pretty balanced.

– The Hyphen scoring in Spanish, or the Hyphen scoring in Pasch-accented English? (Links fixed now. Sorry about that.)

– When the Cards played the 49ers, nearly-automatic kicker David Akers missed more field goals that day (three) than he had all season in 25 previous attempts (two). Cowboys kicker Dan Bailey had made 26 straight field goals coming into Sunday, before missing two of his four tries.

– Here’s your walk-off quote for a Cowboys game. Kolb, when he was asked if beating the Cowboys meant more to him since he is a Texas native: “Before today, that would be a no, but after today, absolutely. All my friends probably had Dallas jerseys on. They’re die-hard, so I’ll be happy to slap them in the face whenever I see them.”

I promise, The Hyphen is somewhere under that pile of teammates.

Tags: , , , , , ,

72 Responses to “Cowboys aftermath”

1. By CDNelson on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

You have got “Patrick Peterson flashed against Cowboys receiver Patrick Peterson”

im asumeing you mean Dez Bryant right? just was gonna bug me if i didnt point that out.

Great game my sister in-law was in the 4th row in the “RED ZONE” and has some awesome pictures… ill have to take ur email and send them to you if youd like.. Great Win have a great night Darren! Love My Cards!

2. By Darren Urban on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

CD Nelson —

RE: PP twice

Oops. I’ll fix it. Thanks.

3. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

Man it was awesome to be there! Awesome to the loyal Cardinal faithful who didn’t sell their tickets to Cowgirls!

4. By CJ on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

this was a great win the defense played fantastically

Darren

did you look at this game as the first real test for defense since they have been playing so well?

5. By Darren Urban on Dec 4, 2011 | Reply

CJ —

RE: Defense “test”

Felt that way, although the Eagles, believe it or not, were playing pretty well offensively when the Cards visited Philly.

6. By Cardiac Card on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

AH the look on the cowboys fans faces as they walked out. Priceless. Good job Card Fans.

7. By SumoMomma on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

GREAT WIN FOR CARDINALS NATION. GOOD JOB CARDINALS, AND RED SEA. NEXT UP 49ERS. LETS EAT!!!

8. By Chris on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

What’s been so great about the defense is that even though the offense is struggling they’re still playing hard. There were many times in years past that if the offense couldn’t score the defense would basically give up. Not anymore. It appears that maybe, hopefully, finally the Cardinals have a legitimate defense. Even the commentators during the game said the Cardinals’ D was “the real deal.” I don’t ever remember anyone saying that. Kudos to the coaching staff for not just improving the defense’s physicality but also their mentality, too.

9. By Aussie Al on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

How much do you think the lockout hurt the Cards? It seems most other teams have dealt with the lock out better than us. It looks like the defense is starting to get “it”.

Given our 3 early losses were so close, you have to wonder what might have been if not for the lockout. I have to get up at 4:30am Monday mornings to watch the Cards play, but the past few weeks have certainly sent me off to work with a spring in my step.

10. By Brandon on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren,Pretend if the season ended today do you think daryl washington would get MVP for the Arizona?

thanks for your time and answering my questions.

11. By Jonboski on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Amazing WIN! our defense is playing physical smash mouth “Sands of Doom” defense stating with the front 3. Love the turnaround. Keep up the phsicality boys. Darren, any chance Patrick Willis misses nexts weeks game?

12. By rio on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

WOW ! KOLB FINALLY SHOW ME HIS STUFF, WE WILL JUST FINE FROM NOW ON.

13. By Corgon on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Now that was something! Without defensive TD-s, return TD, tricky plays, against a red hot team.
    The defense was brilliant!!! Horton made a good work with the offsides.
    Go Cards!

14. By clssylssy on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

I KNEW WE COULD DO IT ALL ALONG! GREAT JOB GUYS & COACHES! Perhaps Kolb should send Jason Garrett a fruit basket or flowers this morning. The defense and special teams are starting to jell, now if the offense could get with it, we’d be on our way…Flacco can’t hit the side of a barn either so wins can be attained without a Drew Brees on the team. I’m so proud of the Cardinals team play without any prima donnas and fee that’s a tribute to good coaching. Would be nice to get Haley back as an OC…I hear he’s on his way out of KC. Now, RISE UP RED SEA! CRUSH THOSE STINKIN 9ERS!

15. By TucsonTim on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

A little luck? When was the last time you saw a coach ice his own kicker? Dallas had 2 time outs and Romo spiked the ball?

That had to be a record for false starts by the o-line at UoP. Will Grimm ever be accountable?

The defense was great. I don’t know what you mean about the punter. It seemed like Dallas had a short field the whole game. And when we really needed a punt inside the 20 he kicked it into the middle of the end zone. His kick out of the back of the end zone was worse than Grahams in MN.

Kolb certainly played better when Ware was on the sideline

16. By Austin on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    Where are all those Horton haters now? Not that long ago there was post after post of people calling for him to be kicked out of town. Rediculous to give up on a coach before he even has a chance to install a complete system. I am extremely happy with our D. PP was awesome yesterday and I was happy with Kolb. I kept waiting for Happy Feet 2, but he stayed calm, ran when he should, and made good decisions. I hope this was a sign of things to come.
    AWESOME GAME!!! GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!

17. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Most excellent. I like Dockett’s idea of this being a running team – it would take pressure off of Kolb. Perhaps it might finally be time to fully implement that Pittsburgh-style running game now that we have a good idea of what Kolb’s capabilities are. Kolb’s gotta continue to get better in the pocket passing the ball though, otherwise everyone will continue to load the box and take away the run.

18. By Chris B on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Kolb struggled, yes, but he stepped up into the pocketed more and that’s an improvement. He was sacked 4 times but I know 2 of those for sure were converage sacks- no where to throw the ball. Give me a sack over an INT.

Kold also got the other receiveres involved. I think he saw what happened when Skelton passed it around. Glad to see that.

A team that can’t run a screen to save it’s life wins in Ot on a screen play that was blown up from the start. God certainly has a snse of humor.

A WC spot of the Cards? Crazy to think about last week. Chicago lost Culter and I can see them not winning again. Cowboys could go 8-8 and Atlanta just lost to the 3rd string QB in Houston. Crazy? hmmmmmm.

Oh, and who wants Whiz fired now?

Niners next will not walk over us like a few weeks ago.

19. By dre 1368 on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

how bout them red birds. great game

20. By Chris B on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Also, did you notice Colledge’s little bump on the Hyphen? He ran into him at the 10 yr line and gave him the final push he needed.

21. By Dan Becker on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Kolb did good enough to get a win. Ill get off the Skelton bandwagon if he consistently improves and doesn’t fall into a funk again.

Team did awesome and got the win.

22. By James on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren just a heads up. The links for the audio are broken both say… Not Found

Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn’t here.
    Kinda like the Cowboys running game yesterday. Great game defence!!!!!!!!!!

23. By MIKE G on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,– Great game by the Cards yesterday. Defense played well and
    carried the load yesterday. Kolb struggled early then played better in the second half. I had a feeling Hyphen would make a big play in the final period.
    It seems to be a pattern lately–hes been big in crunch time. Also a good sign that the defense is improving-their tackling and limiiting the big play has to be a great sign for the team. I had a bad feeling when Doucet dropped that third down play. Also thankful – Dallas called a timeout icing their kicker–crazy.
    Anytime Jerry Jones and the Cowboys lose it is a good thing. You just can’t overstate the importance of Washington, Schofield, and Acho inserted into the lineup–it has infused speed and quickness to the defense. Darren–were you surprised by the number of sacks in the game??? a total of 10–5 on each side????

24. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Aussie Al —

RE: Lockout

Defensively, I think it hurt. At least, that’s what they think. It’s possible it impacted Kolb too. But at this point, tough to make excuses. They should have won a couple of more early. The season would look a lot different.

25. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Brandon —

RE: Defensive MVP

You know “pretending” is not my favorite thing. But it’d be close between Campbell and Washington.

26. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Jonboski —

RE: Willis

Seeing that the Niners clinched the division already, maybe he will. We’ll see.

27. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

TucsonTim —

RE: Punter

Go back and look at the play-by-play. Tell me Zastudil didn’t make a difference. Yes, the Cowboys were on a shorter field, but that happens when the offense can’t get past its own 20 before kicking.

I get everyone liking Graham. But come on now.

28. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

James —

RE: Audio links

They are fixed now. Sorry about that.

29. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Sacks

No, not really surprised, to be honest.

30. By D on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Along with bringing back Campbell and Marshall, need to resign The Hyphen, he is a good 3rd down change of pace RB/returner. Also, A. Roberts is showing he is a good 3rd WR option, see ya Doucet, bring in a speed WR

31. By Eric Hutchins on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Kolb was actually outstanding. The difference in the amount of time Romo had vs what Kolb had was ridiculous. Aside from the Housler miss Kolb really did a very good job. Consider no running game and an excellent cowboy defense.

32. By jasonm on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Ok,defense looked great , the offense still pretty bad but we made the plays when we had to , lets not even talk about next week. Lets just hope our players and coaches learned a lot more about the niners ,we can take them , and i know we will , GO CARDS!

33. By Kevin on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Jeez, Kolb has the first passer rating over 100 by a Cards QB since the opener and people are still saying he “struggled”? Yeah, the first half the O wasn’t real good, but he hadn’t played in a month, and he was still 7 for 11 (by my count) and, more importantly, the Cards did not turn the ball over. Kolb took a few sacks in the first half, but that was better than throwing INT’s. Also, how many times did the Cards screw him over with a false start at absolutely the most inopportune time? Once on the half-yard line after he drove them with the 2nd-half kickoff (including a 17-yard run), but also at other key moments we were backed up 5 extra yards (e.g., 4th quarter with around 6 or 7 minutes, 3rd and 11 becomes 3rd and 16, then a 13-yd completion to Housler still doesn’t net a first down).

After Doucet dropped that late pass on 3rd down when Kolb had scrambled to avoid the sack, and then the Cowboys had a chance for the GW FG, I was already anticipating that we’d be listening to a bunch of people here posting about how Kolb still hadn’t led the team to any game-winning drives. I was reminded of the game where Stuckey fumbled. Thankfully, Bailey missed.

People need to give credit where it’s due. Kolb played well against one of the better teams in the conference (3rd fewest points allowed). We didn’t turn the ball over (huge), but also didn’t get any TO’s. When was the last time we beat a .500+ team, without defensive or special teams TD’s playing a huge role? Answer: not this year, not last year. (Don’t get me wrong, the D was great in this game; it’s just nice to feel like we beat a good team without needing that kind of help.)

34. By Ltlane on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

One of the most impressive aspects of the Hyphens TD, was Darren Colledge being 45 yards or so downfield in order to help keep hypehn on his feet. That was very impressive to me. That is the type of effort that is contagious in sports. He seems like a very solid pickup for the Cardinals, when i initially thought yhe might have been overpaid through Free Agency. What are your thoughts/observations on Colledge? To me he seems like one of those guys you build around character and effort wise. Also Any news on Campbells contract? He is a monster!

35. By Jzoully on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Still not convinced that neither Skelton nor Kolb can take us to the playoffs, but give it to the coaching staff to finding another way to winning it. Btw I would love the idea of bringing Haley back in but I don’t ever see it happening. Oh but my question. Is Sam Acho and O’Brien Schofield starters now?

36. By cards62 on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Well we will get to hear all week how the Cowboys lost the game, but we outplayed them the second half, and we to made costly errors. Brandon Keith false start on 4th and goal from the 1 cost us 4 points and if Early Doucet catches the perfect pass maybe Dallas does not even get the ball back.

Very happy for LSH. Great run. Very happy for Kevin Kolb to lead us on a winning drive and hopefully this will give Kevin confidence to play well the rest of the season. Just when we are ready to give up on A. Roberts he plays great. Our WRs except Fitz of course drive me crazy..I even felt Levi Brown had a good game, and our punter did very well, but of course we have to start with our defense. Romo played well but our defense was all over him and the rest of the Cowboys. Defense played well all game.

I was wondering what my fellow Cardinal Fans thought of the play of R. Johnson at safety? My opinion easily his best game as a Cardinal. He looked aggressive to me and like he always had a plan of what to do this game.

Go Cards enjoy our 3rd straight win over the Cowboys.

37. By Jesse Robles on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

I cant believe Ken Wisenhunt went in there and switched things up at halftime, and it worked. That was probably his best coached game all season. I am still unsold on Kolb, I just hope he can get better. Hope Kurt’s “one year in the system” myth is correct. Ray Horton is doing an awesome job, I am so happy we have a DC who knows what he is doing. We are going to even better, and that is what I am excited about. Niners game next week is going to be a defensive battle just like the last time, but we gave up. Great game.

On the Third Down play where Dez Bryant Offensive Pass Interfered on Patrick Peterson, PP really turned into the receiver on that play, and Dez turned into the corner and grabbed PP, it was a crazy transition happen like that. PP is going to get better at Corner. I am excited to get Toler, Rhodes, Dan Williams, and Ryan Williams all back. Still need offensive consistency, good game for Roberts too.

38. By Kevin on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Hate to play what might have been, but with the potential NFC wildcard slots currently going to 7-5 teams, even just one more win right now would give us decent hope (esp. with Chicago QB-less, Detroit and NYG in a tailspin, etc.). Considering how close we were vs. WAS, SEA, NYG and BAL, if we end up winning 3 or all 4 of our last 4, we’re all going to be looking back on those games. (Of course, the flip side of that is that we could be 3-9 right now if DAL and STL made game-winning FG’s with no time left.)

At 5-7 we have too many teams needing to collapse for it to be realistic, but at 6-6, there’d be good reason to hope. Oh well, with both STL and Tampa Bay making the playoffs after epic collapses by Atlanta and Boston in baseball this year, we can at least dream.

Of course, even the dream requires beating SF next week, so first things first…

39. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: LBs

Acho is starting with Haggans.

40. By joe67 on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

I still hate the Red Uniforms………….but they sure looked good yesterday. Just wear them against Dallas. Maybe they are so ugly it distracts them.

So happy about that game, especially the second half. Still alot of work to do, but I think its “happenin’ “

41. By Dave T on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Awsome game. We tailgated before the game and the group next to us had a Cardinal shade canopy up. They had a cowboy banner hanging from it and a blue tarp over the top trying to hide the Cardinals Logo. I get so tired of seeing this ever game.

42. By Mario on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

When we started off this year I was hoping for the best and hoping we would be in the playoffs. But then reality hit and we struggled as a team due to new systems placed in and the lock out. Now our CARDS starting to put everything togeather and WOW I wish next year was here already. Great job COACHES!!! Now lets show the 9ers what they going to get all next year GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!!!

43. By TucsonTim on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Is it really a penalty when the gunner runs in front of a defender, then stops and gets hit in the back? I think iron Mike pulled a fast one there on that last punt to Dez.

44. By Chuck 1 on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

MVP???

My vote goes to Joey Porter.

LOL

45. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

TucsonTim —

RE: Penalty

Reminds me of playing basketball. If you are dribbling with a guy behind you and slam on the brakes and he hits you because of it, it’s still a foul on the defender.

46. By Kevin on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Tucson Tim, when they showed the replay, the announcers agreed it was a penalty, without really any hesitation or question. I guess it’s kinda like what they say about car accidents; if you hit someone from behind, it’s always your fault.

47. By Kevin on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Q: Hypothetically, if we win next week and some of the other contenders lose Sun. afternoon (Bears go to the Miracle-of-Tebow Broncos and could easily lose; not expecting ATL or DET to lose but who knows), whom do we root for in the DAL-NYG game? They play each other twice so do we root for NYG to win both games (then the best DAL can do is 9-7 — and we’d beat them in a tiebreaker if we won out…), or do we root for DAL to win both so NYG goes 8-8 at best? Either way, if one team wins both of the DAL/NYG head-to-head games, we finish ahead of the other if we win out, so that’s one team we can pass. Only leaves ATL, CHI and DET, lol.

48. By Eric on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

As a season ticket holder, I have to admit, it was embarrasing to be in my section, 135, and be surrounded by Cowgirls fans, again. The Sea of Red was more like a puddle yesterday, and Cards fan that sold their tickets should be ashamed of themselves. Way to represent. Now, I am definetely critical of this team and have been disappointed about the year, but it is my team and I show up every week to watch and support. As fans, especially if you want to be critical, you have to be supportive of the team and most of all SHOW UP TO WATCH.

Having said that, it was sweet to revel amoungst those Cowgirl fans and it confirmed something I’ve said for years about them. They are TERRIBLE sports, and sore losers, most of them. I thought I was sitting with 30 politicians the excuses were so rampant. Man, that was funny.

It was awesome to see the defense play well, again, and watch them continue to improve. PP, Acho, Schofield are going to be studs and D Wash is already there. Its been nice to watch A Dub, my favorite player, quietly have a solid season, especially knowing he is playing hurt.

Finally, I was worriied about Kolb in the first half, but reminded my buddies he hadn’t played in a month, and I’m sure that affected him. The second half was awesome to watch his composure drive this team down the field and I hope everyone noticed he completed almost 65 percent of his passes. I hope that was indicative of what the future is with him.

Great game Cards! 4 straight against the Cowgirls

49. By MattAZ on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

I love reading all the “great job by the coaching staff”s after a win which of course will turn into “horrible play calling” or “fire Whisenhunt”s following the next loss. We’re 4-1 after starting 1-6. That’s a team not quitting and that starts with the coaching staff.

50. By Peter in Canada on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Kevin – I agree with you 100%. Kolb had a shaky first half but he had missed four games and the rust was evident. Any posters who don’t give him a mulligan for that are obviously biased or just don’t get it. In the second half I thought he played almost perfect. I criticised Kolb before because he appeared to be getting worse as time went on. If he can play the rest of the season like he did in the second half the Bidwill money was well spent.

51. By cheesebeef on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Why is Campbell not resigned yet? You’ve said you haven’t asked them this question is a while… well, can you ask them now? Or are we going to fall back to the franchise tag, which worked out so well for us the last two times we used it when we could never strike long-term deals with alienated players like Leonard Davis (who went on to be a Pro-Bowler for another team) and Karlos Dansby, who continues to play good football for the Dolphins. Does it make any sense to you that with 7 million dollars under the cap and a player who’s done nothing but get better in his career, that you wouldn’t get the deal done now before his value continues to go up and use that remaining money under the cap to absorb some of his signing bonus which will allow us room next year to improve the team, as opposed to just slapping the franchise tag on him next off-season, probably alienating him the way they’ve done the last two franchise players and seeing him walk in a couple years?

seriously, what rational can you provide hopeful fans for why Campbell hasn’t been signed yet? or why negotiations have taken this long… or why they waited this long to try and make a deal for a young 25 year old stud on defense who also is a valuable weapon on special teams?

Scott

52. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Cheese —

RE: Campbell

All I know is that they are talking. They have decided to take the tact of not talking much at all about contract negotiations, so unless an agent is going to start leaking info, we’re not going to know one way or the other how things are progressing.

53. By grabling on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Any doubts! Skelton fans!!!

54. By Kevin on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Another of my favorite things people post — why is (so and so) not signed? As if the GM just decides what we can offer and the agent immediately takes it. Ever consider that maybe Campbell’s agent is realizing his client’s value keeps going up, and is asking for more than is reasonable? People act like simply because a guy is good, we should automatically be signing him, whatever it takes. Negotiations are a two-way street.

55. By DontTakeLoses on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Nice chronicling.

56. By David on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Being an old St. Louis football Cardinal fan, anytime you can bring misery to the Dallas Cowboys is a great day. Sunday was another chapter in crazy finishes in Arizona that date back to Kurt Warner. That was a nice win and I’m sure every Cardinal fan who was at this game found it hard to unwind last night. Now go out there and stick it to the 49ers!

57. By vik on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

We seem to have the Cowboys’ number! Pls provide an honest assessment of our chances next weekend.

58. By BIIRDISTHEWORD on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

awesome team win…if this is a glimpse of how our defense is going to play im excited for next year….evrything i sfalling into place…to all you season ticket holders who sold out…u guys suck….i was surrounded by cowboy fans…there was no need for that..but then again i thank u cause it made the win even sweeter….way to stick it to the cowboys….WEPAAAAAA….I LOVE IT!!!!

59. By cardsalltheway on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

The AWAKENING, maybe Kolb has come out of it. I’ll have to see more than one half of descent play before I’m convinced. I hope he goes forward and not backward.

60. By clssylssy on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Interesting to watch the interview with Kurt Warner last night. According to Kurt, and I totally agree, the jury is still out on Kolb. At the beginning of the game, I saw that old “deer in the headlights” look and was expecting the worse. Now that Warner is not employed by the Cards and can be more candid, he spoke to the loss indirectly of both Anquan and Breaston and I hope the Bidwells learned something from those bad decisions and will not try to play horse trader with our young talent (Calais C. comes to mind) also made me think maybe Warner would have stuck around for the last year of his contract if the organization had been more supportive of his wishes in keeping Boldin. A lot of players were responsible for the win yesterday and it is really annoying when the QB is credited for the good team work of all these men. Nice to see the Hypen get some face time on TV…GOOD JOB TO ALL!

61. By Kevin on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Clssylssy, no one is crediting Kolb for this win any more than the pro-Skelton crowd was crediting him for the wins earlier. If anything, the discussion here is more muted, considering that even against a superior opponent to the one that Skelton played in all of his wins, Kolb played better in this game than Skelton in any of them.

The jury may still be out on Kolb, but I hope you’re not trying to turn the discussion back to your boy Skelton. I think the jury has rendered its verdict on him.

62. By Scott H on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Personally, I have come to like the red-on-red uniforms a lot. Didn’t like them at first but they have grown on me. And I would prefer to never see the black jerseys again. C’mon – Cardinals are RED!!! Not black. The more red, the better!

So nice to see a big celebration in our house again. Really. Seems like such a long time since we had one. And for a while there, it felt like the next one was nowhere in sight. Beating the Rams a few weeks ago with PP’s return was exciting simply because a punt return for a win in OT can’t help but be exciting. But it was still the Rams. Beating the Cowboys with a winning record just feels SO MUCH bigger!!!

So nice to WIN a game like this when we have so many time over the years ( decades ) been on the losing end. The Cowboys did so much wrong right at the end to give us a chance to win it in OT and, well…the Cardinals made the big play to win it. GREAT play by Kolb on the winning play to evade the rush and keep the play alive. And what a great throw to hit The Hyphen in stride so he was able to blast off just as the ball was hitting him. THAT is the kind of throw that can get a QB out of the rut amd movong forward again. Hope he will build on this.

And SOOOOO nice to see the running game and defense getting into the respective grooves that they have been in. Nice to see that we win more games than we lose when we have these components. I know Willis McGahee is doing a great job in Denver this year but Beanie is definitely a come back of the year award candidate.

63. By dean bower on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

thank you Cardinals,holden my head high in Texas!

64. By Honda Doug on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Nice Game Plan, Wonderful execution, Hell of Win. Keep up the nice work.

65. By ALONEEAGLE on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Hello Darren, how are things going? It has been a while since I last blogged, mainly because everyone else was saying what I wanted to say. However this week they played the Cowboys, and personally I really don”t like the “Boys”, never have , never will!! So when the Cards beat them again, I had to comment. Kolb looked exactly how I expected him to look after missing 4 games, RUSTY!! He looked much better the 2nd half. However, that being said, I don’t know who is worse, Brown or Bridges!! Both played pathetically in the first half and a decent portion of the 2nd. O line needs serious work in the off-season. It doesn’t matter whom is back there, without protection, they wont last the season. The D looks great!! Definately coming together!! I know it’s a long shot, but I believe the Cards can make the playoffs with a little luck. It all starts next week with the 9ers. Beat the 9ers and Ithink they have a strong chance. After all they went to the Super Bowl with a 9-7 record. Kolb needs to start trusting in Fitz a little more and throw him the ball, Let him go up after it!! Involve Fitz more and I believe we can beat any one and make the Playoffs!! Go Cards!!

66. By Brian on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

I think the Arizona Cardinal record could be better than it is. We play close games and our defense hangs in there.

I would satisfied if the Cardinals went 7-9.

Happy if we finished 8-8.

67. By brad oneill on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

the difference in that game was patrick peterson he said himself before the game he realized that in the nfl they throw into good coverage and he picked up his coverage. he disrupted some key plays that were getting by him earlier this year.

great day to be a cards fan. i love when they beat the cowboys more than any other team well maybe i would have liked one win against the steelers but other than that cowboys are the team i love beating the most.

68. By DontTakeLoses on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Nice spellin’ too! Thx for pick me up, not thinking well, no sleeping well, newly arrived twins, but wife gave me hallway pass for game. Had not missed… in over 20 years… except 3rd or 4th preseason games…

Weird coincidences in OT wins.

Darnel Docket player of game… disruptive force, the core of the defense. A real man. Love that guy. Love them all.

DTL

69. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Little late in the game but I plea mea culpa on Zastudil.
    And despite it being legal to stop and let a defender run up your back in basketball, the next trip down you may face a knee in your upper thigh.

I’m also a recreational BBaller, Darren, though more of an outside threat offensively and Dennis Rodman on the boards.

What’s your and Somers strengths, if you don’t mind me asking?

70. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: “Strengths”

I think, at our ages, that is probably a moot point.

71. By Eazy E on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

Wow! Wow! Wow! Great win for the cards. Kolb started off super slow and was totally ineffective for about the first 3 quarters+. He made some throws in the 4th quarter/OT that helped him alot. His numbers ended up better than his game: 16-25, 247 yards, and the game winning TD to Larod. Beanie had a pretty good game with 20 carries for 67 yards and a game tying TD especially considering the defense he was going against. Andre had his first breakout game this year with 6 catches and 111 yards. Larry ”only” had 4 catches and 55 yards, but Dre finally made teams pay, but we still have to get the ball to Fitz alot more because he’s our best player and we run the offense through him. Our O-Line as a whole got whooped though, now that is a devastating pass rush, but we couldn’t block them at times, d ware, spencer, ratliff, etc. Defense played amazing and kept us in the game. Kolb wasn’t playing well and the O in general, and they owe the defense. Dockett got a sack and probably had his best game since the rams game. Calais got a sack also and made plays behind the line of scrimmage and at the line of scrimmage. Eason in the middle with Carter backing him up is really good and they did a great job of stopping the run against murray and felix, 2 really good backs. Our LBs played awesome also. Daryl looked good again running after them and in coverage everywhere with 9 tackles total. Lenon also had 5 total tackles along with an unblocked a gap blitz sack. Schofield got him a sack and Acho played well on the weak side and strong side even though he didn’t have a sack. Our pass rush was ferocious and hellacious! Clark also got a sack Damn! Secondary played really well when you consider we were going against a very explosive Offense led by Romo and he had a good game, but not like 3 or 4 TDs like he is capable of. Patrick and Dez was a phenomenal matchup and will be for years to come. Richard is playing well also and i’m glad he replaced Jefferson who was young and wasn’t nearly as good. Rashad made some key tackles on witten and others and did a solid job. A-Wil had a great game too. He was covering witten pretty well and that is one of the best, if not the best TE, the man is a complete safety. He also made plays against the run. Our best win by far this season because the cowboys will probably win the NFC East. Niners are next and they beat us up before the rams game, so hopefully we’ll get revenge because they already clinched the division which is amazing and embarrassing for the other NFC West teams unfortunately including us.

72. By Scott H on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

Brian –

How bad do those losses against Minny, Washington, and Seattle look now??? Ugh. Even if we win 2 of those 3, we are still 7-5 and legitimately in the hunt. Very frustrating. Shoot, if could re-play the games against Minny and Washington, I think we win them both. On the flip side, I don’t know how many people realistically believed we would beat the Eagles and Cowboys. Just goes to show ya that you can’t afford to give games away in the NFL. It will feel good having some optimism going into next year, but…you usually only say that when THIS year is over after the regular season.