• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp
  • Sun., May. 25, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.

Lincoln/Kennedy has nothing on Cards’ OT games

Posted by Darren Urban on December 5, 2011 – 4:53 pm

Remember the eerie coincidences between the assassinations of President Lincoln and President Kennedy? Yeah, pretty much not true or not so eerie.

You want eerie coincidences, you go to the Cardinals, which, by coincidence, have two people nicknamed Whiz: Head coach Ken Whisenhunt and media relations coordinator Mike Helm (You know why Whiz is Whiz; Helm became Whiz during the Denny Green administration because he was the guy holding up, in poor weather, the backdrop outside behind Green during press conference. The man behind the curtain. Wizard of Oz. Get it?)

Anyway, Little Whiz, as we now refer to Helm, is in charge of the postgame factoids, and he came up with some doozies comparing the doppelganger overtime 19-13 wins over the past two home games, beyond just the final score or the extra time needed, or that the winning TDs and subsequent celebrations ended up in the same corner of the south end zone after a play going right in front of the Cards’ bench.

In both the Nov. 6 win over the Rams and the Dec. 4 win over the Cowboys:

• The Cardinals scored three points in the first quarter, zero points in the second quarter, three points in the third quarter, seven points in the fourth quarter and six points in overtime
  • The Cardinals trailed 13-6 entering the fourth quarter.
  • Both the Rams and the Cowboys had chances to win the game with field goals at the end of regulation. Against the Rams, kicker Josh Brown’s 42-yard field-goal attempt was blocked. Sunday against Dallas, kicker Dan Bailey missed wide left on a 49-yard attempt
  • Both games ended on touchdowns of more than 50 yards the first time the Cardinals had possession of the ball
  • The Cardinals had exactly 16 first downs — five rushing, 10 passing and one by penalty.
  • The two games are the only ones this season in which the Cardinals committed no turnovers.
  • Of the nine OT games in the NFL this season, the two 19-13 victories by the Cardinals are the only ones that were decided by touchdowns. The seven others were all decided by field goals.

Snopes.com can’t touch this.

Tags: , , ,

45 Responses to “Lincoln/Kennedy has nothing on Cards’ OT games”

1. By Kevin on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Pretty cool. Totally meaningless, but I love this kind of stuff.

2. By Playoffs on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Darren I know this might sound crazy, but I was messing around with ESPN’s playoff machine and the Cardinals have a decent chance of sneaking into the playoffs if they finish 8-8 and a even better chance if they win out. The Lions and Giants have tough remaining schedules and the Bears are pretty much done. What is your take?

3. By Jswizzle on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

What do you think are the cards chances of making the playoffs?

4. By Jose Gilbert on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Good stuff Darren. Did the field not look as good as usual to you yesterday? I (and Dick Stockton) noticed a lot of players slipping quite a bit. Considering the Cards have been gone for a month, and I think there was just one high school game played there, I thought it would look better than ever…No biggie, just wondering if anyone else noticed. Thanks, you do a great job.

5. By cardsalltheway on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Does Ken W. have class? NFL dot.com on coach Whizenhunt’s “jab” at Jason Garrett…

I said(predicted) the game would be determined by the kicking game!

6. By Mike Ellingboe on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

I guess you know you’ve watched too much football when the first thought that comes to mind when you see a headline with Lincoln/Kennedy in it, and immediately wonder what a retired offensive lineman has to do with the Cardinals OT games.

7. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Playoffs –

RE: Postseason

My take is it is still too early to consider. Get back to me when/if this team reaches 7-7.

8. By Havasu Tom on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    That’s great info. What’s Little Whiz’s job, I want it.
    Have you read or watched all the big sports media outlets. “THE COWBOYS LOST THE GAME.” How about how great the Cardinals ‘D’ played or Kolb turned it on in the second half. No RESPECT and I’m tired of it. Grant you, we haven’t had the best season. That being said, many parts of our game, mainly the defense, running game and special teams are really starting to click. But the east coast media can’t give us a compliment.
    Darren whats your take. I know your limited by the NFL in what you can say, but you input would be appreciated.
    Great game Cardinals. Lets prove to the media big boys that we can beat one of the best next week.

9. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Jose –

RE: Field

I heard. I didn’t notice slipping as much as it looked a little beat up by the end of the game.

10. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

RE: Whiz

You just look for any possible opportunity to rip the coach, don’t you?

11. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

More Six Degrees of Lincoln/Kennedy or shall I say Lincoln Kennedy, former OL for the Falcons and Raiders:
    * Kennedy doesn’t go by his given name, much like Patrick “Demon” “Johnson” Peterson and “Hyphen” (or “LaRuSH”) Stephens-Howling.
    * Kennedy played for the Raiders, whom Hyphen recorded his first KO return TD.
    * Kennedy played almost exclusively RIGHT tackle, where coincidentally the SAME side where both scores came from.
    * Kennedy finished his career with the Cowboys, the SAME team Hyphen finished with his return.
    * Kennedy currently works for Fox Sports Radio, the same company that broadcasted the game.
    * Kennedy also currently is a Farmers Insurance agent based in GLENDALE, Az!!, the same place where the Cards have their stadium.
    * Kennedy ran the 40 combine time in 4.3 or less, same as Peterson and Howling. (Just kidding.)

So, there you have it. It’s all so simple when you break it down scientifically.

12. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Havasu –

RE: Respect

I’m not limited in what I can say. I understand your frustration, but at the same time, having been a newspaper writer for many years, I get the story. It’s America’s Team, right? It’s about the audience, and let’s face it, more people were rooting against the Cowboys than for the Cards nationwide.

13. By brad oneill on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

the field- it has been bad all year, people have been slipping. but at least people dont seem to be slipping on that cement like area around the field anymore, i dont know if they fixed it or if people just haven’t run that far off but i was sure that was going to cost us or someone a player.

14. By drummer-1 on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Good day darren

I just want to say.. I was thinking the same thing about cardsalltheway..

15. By in fitz we trust on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

funny coincedence is that the hyphens touchdown was a very bad screen play ( we still cant execute them right ) but who would have known lol
    so duece is our psychic, and rosen is out return punt charm, who else will be on the magic list by the end of the season.

off topic and still early, but man it would be great to draft tyrann mathieu, could u see us going cb again with our first pick if hes avail ?? two honeybager shutdowns, would be epic!!!

16. By cardsalltheway on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

No, but I can understand you thinking that. Ken W. said it, NFL dot.com reported it, I’m just sharing it. I can’t remember any coach taking a “jab” at him can you?

17. By az1965 on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

Very interesting… and really eerie! Thanks!

18. By Brandon LA on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

Cardinal Football that’s all

19. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

RE: “Sharing”

Well, it’s not like I hid it — it was right in my game story. Whether there were any jabs ever at Whiz, I don’t know. I can’t recall any. It’s not that he was wrong, right? I think pretty much across the board — and this includes Garrett talking himself — everyone considered that situation a screw up. I don’t think what Whiz said was out of line. Frankly, with how boring most coaches are in interviews — I’ve heard fans here complain a million times about Whiz — that saying something interesting should be applauded and not beat down.

20. By Mike Ellingboe on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

@cardsalltheway,

I’m sure you would have made sure to post a link criticizing Garrett for his “class” if the roles had been reversed, right?

@Darren,

I haven’t heard anyone mention it, but think there’s any chance that Garrett may be diving on the sword for Romo in regards to not using the timeout at 23 seconds? It crosses my mind because there was no reason to get into a spike formation, and the football world would be crashing down on Romo like an anvil if it turned out he had another unthinkably bad game changing decision.

21. By Mike Ellingboe on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

@in fitz we trust,

Hard as it is to believe, Matthieu is only a sophomore so he’s not eligible for the 2012 draft. However, if he were to declare for the draft I think Morris Claiborne would look pretty sharp in Cardinal red himself.

22. By Eric on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

Completely off-topic: Do you know our set home and away opponents for next year? I think we play AFC East and NFC North. I know there are two slots that will be decided at the end of the year.

23. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

Mike Ellingboe –

RE: Romo?

It’s funny, I had that same discussion with someone about that. Maybe he is. But my reaction is two-fold: 1) If that’s true, Romo needs to man up and say something, and I think he would, if it was him; 2) In that situation, I don’t care if your QB is Brady, Manning, Romo, whomever, the head coach needs to be in control of that. The Cowboys had two timeouts left. Even with Garrett using one, they had one left over. No reason for Garrett not to call one right after the Dez catch. Even if you don’t want to risk another pass, you can QB sneak wherever and then use the last TO for the field-goal setup. It’s not complicated.

24. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

Eric –

RE: 2012 Opponents

The only info released is what you have: AFC East/NFC North. And even that is listed as tentative. All lockout related. No way to know who is home and away yet.

25. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

When I skimmed the title of this blog post, I thought the subject was, “Lincoln Kennedy,” the former NFL player.

26. By Nick Pepe on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

I watched the Hyphen’s TD several times and watching A Sherman get down the field was awesome. He deserves a pat on the back. He should get 3 of the 6 points!

@cardsalltheway:
    Call 1-800-PESSIMIST and get the much needed help. When they clear you from all of your jaded ways you can come back and blog as vociferously as you would like.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

27. By Mr. Know It All on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

Maybe it was just me but did anyone notice how quick the REF showed the coin to the team captains before the toss to start the OT. I wonder if there were bets in Vegas on the “eerie coincidences”

Hey Mike Ellingboe to add to your statement when Darren made “Remember the eerie coincidences between the assassinations of President Lincoln and President Kennedy?” a part of the story I immediately wonder what that comparison has to do with the Cardinals OT games.

Those were national tragedies with historical impact.
    I say this with all due respect.

Why is it “eerie coincidences?” Cards won!!!!

Hey Darren Mike Ellingboe and AndyStandsUp wrote the story better.

28. By Peter in Canada on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

Nick Pepe – I too like Sherman. He is an atlete not not just a blocking machine. I am surprised they haven’t used him more in passing situations.

Cardsalltheway – I think one of the measures of a good coach is whether or not when there seems to be little to play for do the players quit. When we were 1-6 there seemed to be little to play for and yet the players did not quit on Whiz. By that criterion at least you MUST agree that Whiz is a good coach who has the respect of his players.

29. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

Mr. Know it All –

RE: Story

It’s the coincidences that was the comparison, not the assassinations, which is why I included the link.

You seem to have missed the point entirely.

30. By cardsalltheway on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

No you didn’t hide it but you didn’t call it a “jab” either. So you must think Ken W. is classy for his one-liner while thinking it was “interesting.” Good for you, now why don’t you and your colleagues grill him when he deserves it? Jason Garrett has class for standing up to the Cowboy reporters 20 minute grilling…
    I’ve never seen you and yours do the same nor have I seen Ken W. stand there and be willing to divulge in as much this past 1 1/2 when a grilling was deserving.

31. By cardsalltheway on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

Let me take this opportunity to rip Ken W., “We haven’t been good this year on screen passes” HELLO, you haven’t been good on screen passes in a LONG, LONG time. The reason I don’t take every opportunity to rip him is because as I’ve said before I usually cringe when I watch/listen to him so I DON’T listen therefore DON’T look for opportunities. It was nice to see him get a little attention on NFL network though since the Cardinals have been mostly ignored since beating the Cowboys. I just wish he had said “We haven’t been good at screen passes for a LONG, LONG time ~ since it’s the TRUTH !

32. By Mr. Know It All on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

Darren my question is

Why is it “eerie coincidences?”

Eerie is defined as:

Suggestive of the supernatural; mysterious

Inspiring a feeling of fear; strange and frightening.

(being definitely out of the ordinary and unexpected; slightly odd or even a bit weird)

Just saying there are many ways to describe the win, you chose the term.

I did miss the point entirely!!!

33. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

Cardsalltheay -

RE: grilling Whiz

You’re right. If only you were here to show us how to do it.

34. By Mike Ellingboe on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

@Mr Know It All,

When many of us have mentioned that we first thought of Lincoln Kennedy, the lineman, instead of Lincoln/Kennedy, the Presidents, we (or I should say, me, I’ll let the others speak for themselves) it was a jab at myself for being so absorbed with football that I’d think of Lincoln Kennedy before two of the most well-known Presidents in our nation’s history. At no time did the article have anything to do with Lincoln Kennedy, the lineman. I just brought his name into it because the headline made me think of him.

I appreciate the compliment, but I really doubt that I write anything better than Darren (especially as it pertains to football).

35. By Nick Pepe on Dec 7, 2011 | Reply

@cardsalltheway:
    I am sure somewhere, somehow, someone cares about your opinions. Just not here. You need attention and I am glad to give to you by calling you a moron.

36. By cardsalltheway on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Guess why I’m posting again? It’s because someone called me a name. Such class in that person and Darren for letting it happen.

37. By cardsalltheway on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

“You’re right. If only you were here to show us how to do it.”
    Is that it, you seem to have taken something personally? Why do I have to be there to show when I provided you a link and when I’m across the ocean? I thought fans like me who wake up early on Monday mornings to watch the Cardinals play are suppose to get some respect? And, I thought I showed you by providing the link, isn’t that enough? Weren’t you and yours able to grasp anything from it? Please, show me when you and yours have done anything similar? Mind you, the Cowboys have a winning record and the coach still got grilled. How quickly would you and yours have swept something like that under the rug?

38. By Darren Urban on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

RE: Respect

Respect goes both ways.

39. By cardsalltheway on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

“Respect”
    I don’t let everyone know the obvious, but if you’d like I will? You work for the Cardinals and don’t like anyone who has any negative thoughts about Ken W. and company. Now, if I were to then maybe you’d have a leg to stand on. So, I don’t like Ken W., what of it? What are you talking about “Respect.”

So, if I call your peep(big fan or one who sees things almost EXACTLY like you) a name are you going to allow it?

40. By cardsalltheway on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Does your disagreement(ultimate defense) with me about Ken W. have to spoil things between me and you?

41. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Cardsalltheway –

RE: Knowing me

I don’t know you. I don’t know if I don’t like you. I have zero problem with people that have negative thoughts, to a point. Why don’t we try this? Figure out what you want to say, and say it once per post? Instead, you want to continually post, over and over and over, the same thing. We get it. You want Whisenhunt fired. That’s fine. But you repeating it over and over isn’t going to make it happen.

You said you want me to respect you. I just said you need to respect me. Obviously, you don’t feel I have extended respect to you. I know you haven’t extended it to me.

42. By cardsalltheway on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

“Figure out what you want to say, and say it once per post?”

Are you suggesting I don’t get to the point? I thought I was pretty concise in my posts compared to others. What is it you don’t like in my writing style? Do you mean you only want me to post once per thread?

That sounds fairly restrictive and unfair when I see many others(those that agree with you) posting multiple times. And, how do you know letting my feelings known about Ken W. multiple times doesn’t matter while the voices of Cardinal fans are restricted in a BIG way compared to other NFL teams? It sounds like you’re telling me to shut up.

“I have zero problem with people that have negative thoughts, to a point.”

That’s certainly NOT the way you come across! Or, PLEASE explain what that “POINT” is to EVERYONE; that would be interesting to know. Cheers!

Really Darren, I’m all for the Cards and I even give credit to Ken W. for keeping the team together given his 1-6 start. That of course doesn’t give him a pass on other things such as putting us in this position to begin with given every other team has dealt with every excuse we’ve heard from Ken W.

43. By cardsalltheway on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Yet, you still let Nick Pepe can call me a “moron.” Such class here huh? I think I smell something?

44. By cardsalltheway on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

I don’t think your grievance against me is justified compared to what I read here. As a matter of fact, who is your boss, I’d like to know for future reference in case I’d like to contact her/him?

45. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully –

RE:Keith/Brown

I’m not sure how either of those situations will play out, although they have to have someone playing offensive line next season. Tough to let everyone just leave.