Negotiating the icy road of field-goal attempts

Posted by Darren Urban on December 5, 2011 – 11:50 am

By now, the timeout called by Cowboys coach Jason Garrett moments before Dan Bailey’s field-goal attempt is (in)famous, because he essentially iced his own kicker.

(Although it’s worth noting, it’s not like Bailey was in the process of kicking when the whistle blew. The timeout was called, everyone stood up, and then the center snapped and Bailey got a practice kick. It wasn’t like he was interrupted.)

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said he was thinking about calling timeout himself. Maybe. Sort of.

“Was I ready to? Yes. I was thinking about it,” Whisenhunt said. “But I’ll be honest, if you remember the last time we played them in an overtime game, you remember what I did then? I iced the kicker, and he had missed it, and then he made it after the timeout. So when the timeout was called and he made the kick, there was no way I was going to ice him at that point. I figured the karma had to turn around. Now, I was faking I was calling it. And they called timeout before I had to make that decision.”

In the 2008 game, Cowboys kicker Nick Folk actually had his first try blocked as Whiz called timeout, although again, half the Cowboys’ protection heard the whistle and let up, making the block much easier (in other words, I’m not sure the Cards block the kick without the timeout call). Then, after the timeout, Folk drilled the 52-yard field goal to send the game to overtime.

This field goal would have lost the game for the Cards. But “faking” calling a timeout?

“It’s funny, but you go up to the official — and I actually told him this — I said, ‘I’m not going to call timeout, but I am going to fake like I am going to,’ ” Whisenhunt said. “So he’s looking at you like you are going call timeout and you don’t.” He briefly paused, before adding, “It’s an art form,” a smile across his face.

Whisenhunt does think other teams are thinking about the Cards’ kick-blocking abilities — he said Patrick Peterson almost ran past the ball on the Cowboys’ lone extra point, nearly blocking it — and it makes an impact too.

– Otherwise, not a ton coming out of Whiz’s press conference of a newsy nature. No significant injuries coming out of the game. There will be no talk of postseason chances yet either. With the win, players are officially off today, so no interview availability. Whiz did say TE Todd Heap sat because of his hamstring Sunday, but believes Heap should be OK going forward.

Tags: ,

29 Responses to “Negotiating the icy road of field-goal attempts”

1. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Go Cards!!!

2. By MIKE G on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–I think the Cowboys did a poor job handling the last half minute of the game. With 2 timeouts in his pocket –he has to take one after the catch and then run the ball to try to get a closer attempt. A 49 yarder is no chip shot especially with Campbells ability to block it and the pressure of the moment. It worked out for the Card’s. Even if he makes it –I still think it was poor coaching on Garretts part!!l Darren–if you were the coach –would you have tried to get it closer?????

3. By Lesley on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

(Sorry for my English, I’m Belgian so Flemish/Dutch speaking )

Are there Stats for missing FG Attempts against us?
    There are a lot of games where our opponent miss one or more FG attempts!

It is a interesting thing, my opinion. I’m wondering where we would be in a ‘NFL missing FG attempts stats ranking’
    Not sure, But certainly Top 10 or even Top 3!

Thanks,
    Lesley

4. By rojobird on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

I LOVE MY CARDS….. Great game .. please bring that passion and commitment to every game and give it your all.. Maybe we wont make it to the post season but Give us our Super bowl and beat those 49ers… Show them who’s gonna be their daddy on 2012…..

5. By APCARDS on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Way to win, Cards! We were there screaming for you! Was awesome to see the Cowboy fans finally shut up! :) Shame on other season ticket holders for selling thier tickets to Cowboy fans. SO lame!
    Glad to see Kolb looking better that second half!

6. By SteveG. on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

The second half was the way I hope that next year plays out.

Competent and potentially superior QB.
    Rock solid defense (Mr. Horton, take a raise).
    Great games win or lose (tho winning IS more fun).

Looking forward to measuring us against a very good 49’s team to see where we stand when teams are healthy (or as healthy as one gets in the NFL ).

Never looked forward to OTAs as much as I do now!!

We (The Whiz/Bidwills)have a plan, we are executing it and the future looks VERY interesting!

If you REALLY want to start from scratch again, keep calling for a new coaching staff (tho hopefully, the trolls will drop off of here soon).

7. By DesertRat53 on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

See, even Wiz has to practice his Art. Keep Up the Good Work Cards Players and Staff. HECK OF A WIN!!!!

8. By SumoMomma on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Cowboys complaining about playing on a 100% REAL FIELD and not turf. THIS IS FOOTBALL COWGIRLS. Accept the fact you have just been beat. AGAIN!!!

9. By Mikeflorio on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Intresting…Urb any info for next weeks game against the Niners, I have a feeling that we break out the towels and play this game like a playoff game, a sea of black jerseys and we close the roof make it loud!!!

10. By Ditship on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

I know it’s popular to hate Whiz on here but I still like the guy and have hopes he can get us on the right track again.. and his explanation of fake icing the kicker and it being an art form is pretty funny.

11. By Chris on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

After seeing Peterson’s success with being the punt returner, any reason we have not seen PP at kick-off return?

Thanks!
    Chris

12. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Me as coach

Well, yes, I would have. But realistically, they were in the right place. The kicker needs to make that.

13. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Lesley —

RE: FG stats

I will try to look it up.

14. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Mikeflorio —

RE: Niners game

Definitely won’t be black jerseys — they can’t wear them again this season. Beyond that, I don’t know about the roof or towels. Check back Thursday/Friday.

15. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Chris —

RE: PP on KOR

Couple of reasons. One, they like The Hyphen on kickoff returns. He was pretty good at it last year, if you recall. Two, and maybe more importantly, they don’t want to stretch PP too thin. Full-time cornerback, need him as punt returner.

16. By Kevin on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

would love to see the trolls drop off to the ones calling for Whiz to leave and Kolb to be benched. Love to see those off the board. True fans dont do that we know when we have a winning combo and we know also it takes time to build. For those of us that has been through all those losing seasons we know, As does the Lions fan and a few other teams.

17. By Ben on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Another week of balanced offensive playcall between Run and Pass and look what happens!! ANOTHER WIN BABY!!!!

They never abandoned the Run, loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

Whiz and Miller keep this up and dare I say it…maybe…could it be???

IN Whiz we …. Trust???

Come on make me a born again believer!!! GO CARDS!!!!

18. By ndpenner on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Looks like our D shows up with or without Skelton now. :) I don’t think we’ll go to the playoffs but if they can keep building on what they’ve done this year and whomever ends up being our starter next year at qb (figuring Kolb) can get more in tune I think we can be a contender in a season or two counting this one (previously thought 3 but I’m being optomistic) Great to see another well fought for victory

19. By Scott H on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

I find it amazing that such interesting late-game FG circumstances have played out in two of the last 3 games played against the Cowboys in this building. So ironic…that the Cardinals have such a long history of being a snake-bitten team, yet it’s the mighty Cowboys who have been snake-bitten in OUR HOUSE! Something about that just seems fair. Love it!!!

20. By Chuck on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Whiz has done a great job. Everyone should have expected a slow start with a new D coordinator and a new QB. There is growing pains. Look at Denver. Its not Tebow, it’s the defense. Same here, it wasn’t Skelton, it’s the defense. I have seen enough from Kolb to think he can lead this team. He has improved. Keep up the Solid play on D—-
    And quit calling for new coach! Whiz has done a great job here and we are headed in the right direction. It’s not his fault Kurt opted out of his contract a year early.

21. By AZbelgium on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

lesley also from belgium??

Go cards i’ve never enjoyed a american football game more then this! except our 09 superbowl!

But am i the only that still believe we can the WILDCARD?
    Falcons lost… NINERS are sure to play play-offs, saw willis got hurt last game…

Kolb has stepped up and our D Damn their good!!!!

Go cards if not this year Playoffs 100% NEXT YEAR!!

22. By Scott H on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Would LOOOOOOOOVE to see this team punch the 49ers in the mouth this coming Sunday. Ultimately, they have clinched the division and they are going to have a better season then we will. But if the Cardinals could be the better team for 60 minutes THIS WEEK, it will feel great and – as someone else said – perhaps put the 49ers on notice for next year that they won’t own the division for long. I have come to hate the 49ers in the same way I hated the Seahawks during their years at the top and beating us on a regular basis. I hate being smacked around by any team in this division and the 49ers have been smacking us around long enough. Even during our recent good seasons, the 49ers were always a bump in the road. Enough. Time to start punching back.

23. By Jzoully on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Give it to the 5 franchise quarterbacks in the NFL Draft next year, I don’t know if you have been able to check out the future stars. Out of the 5 quarterbacks (Andrew Luck of Stanford, Matt Barkley of USC, Robert Griffin III of Baylor, Landry “Lance” Jones of Oklahoma, and Ryan Tannehill of Texas A&M) would fit the Arizona Cardinals system? I know it might be to early but come on it’s never too early to plan a superbowl.

24. By Kevin on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

I’m not convinced icing makes any difference (if someone kept stats for the past 20 years on GW kicks made where the kicker first had to endure a timeout vs. ones where he didn’t, I don’t think there’d be a difference, but not sure), but if I were an NFL head coach I would either just do it every time or never do it (probably the latter), and I’d never wait until just before the ball is snapped. Seen a few TO’s called right as the snap is taken, kicker shanks it, and then everyone is ticked that you called a TO. Why open yourself up to being second-guessed if it doesn’t work?

25. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: “Franchise” QBs

Is that similar to the franchise class of Young, Leinart, Cutler?

I’ve seen all but Tannehill. Can’t say I could forecast, for certain, any of them. But my feeling is this: If you truly have a “franchise” guy, you make your system work with him.

26. By Jzoully on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Thats funny haha I hope it’s not like that class, it completely sucked.
    If that was true which philosophy do you believe in then, that you build around the player or like the “tebow” experiment you let the player take over your system? Because 4 qb’s, Andrew Luck is a pro-styled qb who can relieve the stress by making great intermediate throws. Then the next player is Robert Griffin III who is like a Cam Newton and ‘just wins baby’ like Al Davis said, he can really make the defense one dimensional with his legs or great arm. The next I’m not so fond of is Matt Barkley of USC, I feel like he needs to develop more of his reads and might have a fluid release but can’t always deliver the ball. The last guy Tannehill has great game speed and might be the most underrated qb, he has great reads and I would feel that he can really make the transition to the pro’s playing for the Aggies. Trust me Darren I have been studying these guys the whole year since we got Kolb.

27. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

Referencing the earlier comment about having Peterson returning kickoffs.
    Don’t have the numbers, Darren, but I’m pretty sure LaRuSH’s numbers are down from this year.
    Maybe trying Roberts or Jefferson back there, or are they too far into the season?

28. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: KOR

They aren’t sure why LSH’s numbers are down, but they haven’t lost faith in him. I’d like to see KOR across the board given the new rules.

29. By SuperBird on Dec 6, 2011 | Reply

I didnt get to go to the game, had to sell my tickets, but I did sell them to other Cards fans. I was on my way to a class in Texas and stopped in Amarillo wearing my Wilson jersey to watch the game. When I walked in I actually got a couple cheers from a couple cards fans in hiding.

The game was amazing and I had faith in them the whole time. It is so much better coming on the forum and not seeing people complaining about Kolb or Whiz. Like I have said all along, GO CARDS!!! Cant wait to get back to AZ and make some noise in the UofP stadium.