Cards sell out game against 49ers

Posted by Darren Urban on December 8, 2011 – 3:01 pm

The Cardinals officially have sold out Sunday’s game, meaning it will not be blacked out locally and instead be shown on Fox (Ch. 10) in the Valley. The game is the 61st straight time – out of 61 possibilities – in which the Cards have sold out University of Phoenix Stadium.

That’s an impressive total (46 of those games are from the regular season) but they have a while to go to match the longest streaks. Both the Denver Broncos and Washington Redskins have sold out all their regular season games since 1974. The Steelers since 1976. The Jets date back to 1981, the Giants 1981 and the Packers 1989.

Tags: , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Cards sell out game against 49ers”

1. By tom on Dec 8, 2011 | Reply

darren,

how man games in a row have the niners sold out at their stadium?

2. By Sarah on Dec 8, 2011 | Reply

Looking forward to see how Kolb deals with SF defense.

3. By Darren Urban on Dec 8, 2011 | Reply

Tom —

RE: Niners streak

The last time they did not sell out a game was 1981 as well.

4. By Chris B on Dec 8, 2011 | Reply

FYI- your article says 49ers didn’t the ball over a few weeks ago: Washington piked off a pass in the endzone, 4th quarter I think.

5. By Todd on Dec 8, 2011 | Reply

9ers may sell out thier games but that doesn’t mean people show up to the games. Last time the Cards played them on Monday night football at Monster Park (Candlestick) the stadium was half full. I know I was there. Oh yeah, and the fans are plain rude!

6. By Darren Urban on Dec 8, 2011 | Reply

Chris B —

RE: Mistake

Thanks.

7. By bluepitt on Dec 8, 2011 | Reply

I know no one wants to think playoffs, but I just spent the last hour tweeking this thing, and if the cards win out I can personally put a gurinteee on the playoffs.
    Input plaease, dont look at the cards look at the other teams records.. totally really can happen, there are no suprises and no long shot wins or losses…

8. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Dec 8, 2011 | Reply

Todd,

I have to agree with you. I was at that Monday night game in all my Cardinal gear. The Niner fans are horrible. Still bragging about Montana and Rice. They have no respect for anyone. Rude is an understatement.
    LET GO CARDS !!!

9. By bluepitt on Dec 8, 2011 | Reply

even if the 9ers win all but ths week it is the same result and if Ny or Dal wins just changes seeding.

10. By Rick 12 on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Darren –

This is off the topic, but I want to thank you for the story on Roberts.
    I have always thought he has great potential, contrary to what some people have had to say.

11. By cardsalltheway on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Roberts on the offense…”There’s a possibility it is coming.”
    Can’t get anymore real than that, well said Andre! Just keep playing like you do against Dallas. You can do it!

12. By Carl on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Random question. On the top of the website page there are 6 people Big Red mascot, Larry, Whiz, Dockett, a random cheerleader.

Here is the question. Who the heck is the person between big red and larry? I can’t make out his number behind larry and big red and I don’t recognize that guy at all. Who is he?

13. By jasonm on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

OK CARDS FANS , WE HAVE TO BELIEVE COME ON WE DID NOT LOOK LIKE A SUPER BOWL TEAM IN 08 , NOR DO WE NOW , THIS IS THE NFL ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN ! WHIP THOSE NINERS !!!

14. By cardsalltheway on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

How long do you think it will take until the Cardinal organization will be able to sell fans $250 non-refundable stock like the Packer org. did to its fans?
    On another note, what do you think about the play during the Giants/Packers game last Sunday?

Controversial call…
    “At 9:50 left in the third quarter, Aaron Rodgers hit Greg Jennings on a 20-yard TD pass, but it was subject to review based on the fact that all scoring plays are subject to booth checks.

This was significant because Tom Coughlin was out of challenges, but that was not the controversial part. Jennings beat Giants rookie CB Prince Amukamara on the route and had a step on him, but as Jennings caught the ball, Amukamara caught up and appeared to dislodge the ball as Jennings brought it into his body and attempted to complete the act of a catch.

Anyone who saw the play saw Jennings drop the ball out of bounds, and the average fan’s first thought had to be: Calvin Johnson. The Johnson play from Week One in 2010 is now infamous, and any questionable catch is referred back to him. This was different in that Jennings did not go to the ground, and that apparently saved him.

Jennings might not have completed the act of catching the ball (hey, this is the way the NFL writes its rulebook) the way Johnson needed to, but Jennings apparently doesn’t have to.

In short, it’s a stupid rule. And an ambiguous one. The replay booth called it a TD, and the rule apparently says it should be one. But no one, myself included, can tell you what the rules are anymore on a catch. It’s now the toughest judgment call, tougher than pass interference, in the NFL. Shouldn’t a catch be, um, one of the easiest to determine?”

15. By Darren Urban on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Carl —

RE: Site header

Big Red, random fan, Fitz, Whiz, Dockett, cheerleader, Peterson

16. By Darren Urban on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Questionable catch rule

I saw the play and actually, I thought the play would be called incomplete. I don’t like the rule as constituted and I don’t think you are the only one wondering how the heck it was called a catch.

17. By in fitz we trust on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

i hope the browns game sells out lol

18. By Soares20 on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Come on Cards if we win this win there is a chance for playoffs! The 6th seed is up for grabs and no team is 9-7 and we are 8-8 with all the tie breaking rules we would be in even if 3 other teams are 8-8 (bears, falcons, detriot).

19. By Kevin on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Bluepitt —

The Cards have a chance at the playoffs. Very small chance, but a chance. However, I stopped looking at your scenario as soon as I saw that it involved a Cowboys-NYG tie. There’s been only 1 tie in the NFL since 2003. If your scenario involves a bunch of teams playing poorly, the Cards winning out, AND a Cowboys-NYG tie, it’s pretty farfetched.

20. By Mal C on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

@Kevin

If the Cards win out and finish at 9-7, here is the playoff situation:

The Cards have 4 teams ahead of them for a wildcard spot, but they only need to get past 3 of them in order to grab the final spot. Here are the 4 teams ahead of the Cards:

NY Giants play Dallas/Skins/Jets/Dallas
    >>>>if NY loses just 2 of those games, theyre out at 8-8

Atlanta plays Carolina/Jags/Saints/Bucs
    >>>>if Atlanta loses just 2 games, theyre out becuz the Cards have the tie-breaker

Detroit plays Vikes/Raiders/Chargers/Pack
    >>>>if they lose just 2 games (as long as one loss is to the Pack) theyre out becuz Cards have the tie-breaker

Chicago plays Denver/Seattle/Pack/Vikes
    >>>>the Bears have the tie-breaker, but theyre out if they lose 3 games and finish at 8-8

Its alot to wish that Chicago loses 3 out of their last 4, but remember, we only need to get past 3 of these teams to get the final spot, so this doesnt all need to happen, just part of it.

If the Cards win out, the rest of this is very possible.

21. By bluepitt on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Kevin,
    Read the post below the link post, the dal & ng game has no bearing the tie was a flub but ither one can win,,, actually we can go 8-8 and still get in.. if you would have played with it you would have seen that. Once again the NY Dal game can at that point go ither way! And the way we get in is an ATL loss and CHI loss… Not really to hard to invision! Cutler out and ATL is not the team that started the season….

22. By bluepitt on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

Mal,
    That is what I was showing… It really isnt that hard to invision Cutler is out, We beat DAL, Ny is hit and miss and ATL is shakey at best….

23. By Kevin on Dec 9, 2011 | Reply

OK guys, I know there are plenty of scenarios where they can get in; I was just pointing out that the tie scenario was kind of silly.

Of course, the first thing is AZ winning their next 4 (and yes I know there are also scenarios where they get in at 8-8, but those are really unrealistic), which is a lot to ask considering that none of their wins have been very dominant and even their two against STL, one of the worst teams in football this year, have been shaky. But they finally showed last week they can beat a good team, so there’s hope. Believe me, I’m rooting as hard as the next guy.

24. By Carl on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Darren thanks for the response I had a feeling it was a random fan but I wanted to be sure otherwise it would have bugged me forever. Anyway you say peterson is in there but I don’t see him after the cheerleader it just says buy tickets.

25. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Carl —

RE: No Peterson

Not sure how that is possible. He is there.

26. By bluepitt on Dec 10, 2011 | Reply

Peterson is in their on the main site header, but not this header… So you are equaly right..lol

27. By Carl on Dec 11, 2011 | Reply

Bluepitt.

Yes you are right I see him on the front page but not in the blog section.