Whiz talks Kolb recovery, Haley, and other stuff

Posted by Darren Urban on December 12, 2011 – 11:59 am

There were no new injury updates Monday from coach Ken Whisenhunt, and that includes quarterback Kevin Kolb after Kolb suffered from concussion-like symptoms after being hit in the head by Ahmad Brooks’ knee.

“There are a number of different steps you have to go through, and obviously player safety is very important,” Whisenhunt said. “I don’t have a timetable on it.”

Whiz said Kolb “didn’t feel right” after the hit and the doctors took him inside the locker room. Originally, the plan was to hold Kolb out until the half to see if he would improve, but Kolb didn’t. (Kolb was downstairs riding a bike this morning.)

– Whiz talking postseason: “I know we are still alive. But I’m not going to get into scenarios or this or that. None of it matters if we don’t win this week, and that’s the approach we have taken the last six weeks, and it’s worked pretty good in five of them.”

– Center Lyle Sendlein gave Whiz a game ball yesterday (pic below) in recognition of Whiz tying Don Coryell for most wins in franchise history. “It was very nice,” Whisenhunt said. “It was meaningful our team did that, but it’s a team game and we are focusing on Cleveland.”

– Whisenhunt was asked about former offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who was fired as the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs Monday. Whisenhunt said it was “premature” to talk about Haley possibly returning to Arizona. Calling Haley “a good friend” he said he believes Haley will have multiple options as coach going forward.

Tags: , ,

73 Responses to “Whiz talks Kolb recovery, Haley, and other stuff”

1. By Shaun Church on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Let’s hear your take on Haley. Do you see him returning as the OC once more? Would that even be good for the club?

2. By Nat on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    How much of our success, when Haley was our OC, was down to Kurt and how much was down to the mind of Todd. Would you say he game planned around Kurt making him succeed, or would you say that Kurt made Haley look good.

3. By Denver on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Darren, did Coach Whiz happen to comment on why he chose to kick the PAT after the Cards went up 20-19 instead of going for 2 pts., which could have put them ahead by 3 pts.? Being in the 4th quarter I cannot think of any reasonable rationale of how a 21-19 lead would benefit the Cards at that point in the game.

4. By Paul H on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

I’m waiting on the excuse Tom Waddle of the NFLN has for SF after Cards win yesterday. Every week he takes a shot like ” There’s no excuse for fill in the blank team to lose to the Arizona Cardinals. Does any of the Sunday pre-game shows talk about the Cards more then 2 minutes. Actually it’s good, we fly under the radar that way.

5. By Joram on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Darren, do u think we could use Haley

6. By mikeso602 on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

bring haley back

7. By MIKE G on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Nice to see Whiz tie Don Coryell for wins on the all-time list for Cardinal coaches. Coryell was a great coach for the Cards from 1973 to 1977.
    Darren– were you surprised Haley was fired???–he did win the division last year and has had injuries this year-Do you think he rubbed some people the wrong way within the organization???

8. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    After 35 years I’ve finally made it to watch an Cardinals game when they played Dallas last week, flew over from this rock:) Talk about fulfilling a dream! Crossed it off my bucket list for sure! Beautiful stadium! Great fans!!! Almost popped a shoulder high fiving everyone coming up the stairs after the game:) Was almost the last to leave the stadium that night:)
    Just wanted to share that! Aloha!!!

9. By Eric on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Agreed it is premature, but man, Todd coming home would be awesome! Come on Fitz, get on the horn!! Also, I really hope to see Beanie get a thousand this week against Clevland!!!! My pre-season prediction with my section mates was 1200, and that is totally possible against the opponents we have left.

10. By APCARDS on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Bring Haley back!!! ( I wish Breaston could come back too!)

11. By LB on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Hello Darren.

Speaking of Haley and the OC spot, how much has changed when it comes to playcalling between this year and last year? Is Miller completely in charge of it now that he’s officially the OC?

12. By JJV on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

I have been a season ticket holder since 1992. By far, Coach Whisenhunt is the best coaching staff this organization has had since moving to Arizona, and he has the wins to back that up. Kevin Kolb will be the QB we all expect him to be and he will ultimately win more games than not. Also, lets not forget that GM Rod Graves has done a tremendous job in assembling a great coaching staff and team. I for one will continue to support the Cardinals by attending all home games and will continue to renew my season tickets. Go Cards and Go Coach Whisenhunt, continue your course and I know we will return to the Superbowl within 3 years time, if not sooner.

13. By Maurice Colwell on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Todd Haley should have stayed with the Cardinals and should be asked to come back to work with Whisenhunt, now that the conflicts with Warner are not a factor.

14. By Brian on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

I think we need to hire Haley, and I think we need to do it quick before he gets hired elsewhere.

Todd Haley as an offensive coordinator scored points left and right.

If our offense can score like it used to with Ken Whisenhunt, and Ray Horton is dominating at defensive coordinating, this team can really improve!

Say, when was the last time we threw a fade rout to Larry?!!?

Bring back the Haley!

15. By Brian on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

And hire Kurt Warner as quarterbacking coach. :)

16. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Shaun –

RE: Haley

As I said on the other post, a lot of pieces have to fall in place before that would ever happen.

As for if it would be good, well, there are arguments for both sides.

17. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Nat –

RE: Haley/Warner

I think to try and say it was one or the other doesn’t make sense. I think it was a symbiotic relationship.

18. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Denver –

RE: 2pt

Whiz commented here: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Fitz-Does-It-All-Against-San-Fran/b55aa649-0eaa-4ecd-916f-bff001f7bdb7

And I guess I’m not reasonable, because I said — before the decision was made — it was too early. One of my pet peeves, going for two points too early.

19. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Haley “rubbing people the wrong way”

I think that’s probably fair to say.

20. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

LB –

RE: Playcall changes

I think there have been changes, but it has less to do with Miller calling plays (which he was doing a chunk of the time last year too) and more to an adjustment to Beanie and the QBs.

21. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Maurice –

RE: Haley/Warner “conflicts”

What???

22. By kekojones on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

No brainer. Bring Haley back!!!!

23. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Hard to fault Haley for all those injuries the Chief’s sustained this year. Of course, there’s a lot going on behind the scenes that we don’t see, and I’m guessing that component of Haley’s tenure with KC had a lot to do with his firing.

24. By jonnyb on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

bring haley back thats dumb think about this he was a head coach that has a attitude u think he will change i did love it when he was here but we have MIKE MILLER he is our oc go CARDINALS

25. By Nick Pepe on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

What a great Monday at work. Again.
    Stop asking about Haley, next year, next years schedule, and let’s talk Cleveland.
    Beautiful day here in Delaware! Thanks Big Red!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

26. By SumoMomma on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Two QB’s With over a thousand yards. What a nice problem to have.

27. By brad oneill on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

todd haley is a bull in a china shop, he is spoiled, angry and very creative, he designs plays that work and expects them to be executed. if stuff goes wrong he yells and screams and demands perfection. is this the kind of guy that we want shaping someone like kolb? personally i think skelton would benefit greatly from haley i am not as sure on kolb he seems a bit more fragile at this point. although if he is under fire all week he may find the game a bit of a relief and not be so amped up at the beginning ha ha ha.

28. By brythybo7 on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Do you see Rod Graves staying with the team much longer? I dont think Ive talked to anyone who likes him and thinks he has done a good job. The general consensus is that he is one of the worst GMs in the NFL.

29. By TUCSTEVE on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

darren,

any news on sampson. saw him getting up limping

30. By ndpenner on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Why are we worried about Haley at this point? Bring on Cleveland! The team played well Sunday. D did awesome, Skelton put in his best performance IMO (I don’t fault him for either INT), Larry played lights out, and we won as a team. 2 more years till people talk about us again, but hopefully we’ll be winning games under the radar as said above me

31. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

brythbo7 –

RE: Graves

Unless you are talking to Michael Bidwill, I am guessing the consensus you are collecting doesn’t have much power in the decision-making process.

I don’t expect Graves to be going anywhere.

32. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Tucsteve –

RE: Sampson

There was no report on an injury. We will know more Wednesday.

33. By SumoMomma on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Cardinals have made the biggest jump in the power rankings this year. More than any other team so far. One of the hottest teams in the NFL past 6 weeks as well. Good Job Cardinals!!!v Keep It Up!

34. By Mr. Cardinal on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Bring on the Browns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. By brythybo7 on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Yeah I know what I say doesnt really matter. I was just wondering because gernerally (there are exeptions) if a large amount of people do not like someone, that person hasn’t done much to make things better, or has not made good decisions. Just my thoughts, its all opinion of course :)

36. By K DUB on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Haley would develop Kolb and Skelton perfectly. We would get this back to super bowl form

37. By jeffreysanders on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Hey everyone,
    I am a sports editor at my community college and I write a blog for my newspaper. Check out my latest blog about how the Cardinals defense is leading the Cards to as many unexplainable wins much like Tim Tebow in Denver. Any feedback would also be greatly appreciated!

Here is the link: http://jeffreysanders.wordpress.com/category/arizona-sports/

38. By Jesus on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

got a question, Skelton is get dinged for 2 interceptions and then whiz says it was his decision making more than anything. reall the ball hit Roberts in the hands. both interceptions came off of passes deflected by cardinals players. the one to fitz was very high yet to roberts on target. i must have been the only one excited when he came into the game.

39. By Rich on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Expected Whiz to go for 2 on that last touchdown. Any thoughts?

40. By clssylssy on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Great Team Win!..everyone was doing what was necessary to get the job done and there was an energy on the field that was missing earlier in the season, now we have chemistry and focus. We seem to play up to our opponent’s strength so hopefully won’t get lax when playing the Browns or the Rams because they likely will be the underdogs. Need to stay on course and keep doing what is needed to get Beanie his yards and win the remaining games. It would be great to get Haley back…KC goes through coaches like Keenex, has done so since the Hank Stram days and has nothing to do with coaching abilities. For now we just need for the team to FINISH STRONG and hopefully the front office will do the same in exploring possibilities with Haley. GO CARDS! FLY HIGH AGAINST CLEVELAND!

41. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

As you probably know Darren, I grew up a Coryell Chargers fan.
    Don’t know how well Whiz appreciates past history and his playing career was just starting as Coryell’s was ending, but has he stated anything other than the comment above?

42. By K DUB on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Do you have an update or an article about how Ryan Williams is progressing from his injury?

43. By GiuseppeValDingo on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Darren

I think it would be great to bring Todd back….for next year. The team is on a roll and they need to finish the season on a high note before discussing Todd Haley. Beside, I’m sure Todd needs the time off to evaluate where he is and where he wants to go at this point in his life.

44. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Jesus -

RE: Interceptions

If I recall correctly, the ball off Roberts was a deflection because the defender was right there – I briefly wondered if it was a PI – and, like the Fitz throw, probably forced.

45. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Rich -

RE: going for two

I wouldn’t have gone for two either. Too early.

46. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

AndyStands -

RE: Whiz comment

No, that’s it.

47. By DesertRat53 on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Way to go CARDS, what a TEAM effort!
    Tod Haley, nope that would be bad for the TEAM right now, IMHO. Maybe next year, MAYBE.
    Coach Whiz did something I think is overlooked, he let the D know how much he Belives in them by Not going for the 2-point play. Think about that for a moment…..
    Yes it may have been to soon with eleven+ min. left, maybe not. But, that made the Cards D feel GOOD to know that Coach BELIVES in them and TRUSTS them.

Still thinking?

GOOO CARDS!!!!!!!

48. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

K-Dub -

RE: Ryan Williams

49. By brad oneill on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

brythybo7- who ever you talk too must be stupid, because Rod Graves is a fantastic GM, yes there have been mistakes but no one can say the cards didn’t do a great job filling some very big holes after the superbowl, its true we have let some real talent get away but that is more the organizations need to go cheap than rod graves doing. He has been a huge bright spot for this organization, for those of us who remember the dark years- which were basically all of them up unitil wizs run to the super bowl. ok we did have a few wins under don coryell and the years with jake plumber were exciting but i dont recall great gm moves during those times.

50. By Mal on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

Kauai-

Dang it, brother man, they let you off that rock?!

I’ve always enjoyed your posts, and its great to hear you had such a lucky day — to come all that way and then see our Cards beat the Cowgirls! It just dont get better than that.

51. By CreditCard on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

First piece of the article addressed Kolb’s concussion. Cartoons will display little birds flying in a circle about the character’s head that character just got bonked. Does anyone suppose little dollar signs are circling Kolb’s head after his concussion?

My opinion, the more game time Skelton plays — the more equal of talent between Kolb and Skelton. Time will tell if either Selton or Kolb can become a premier QB, or even an average QB.

52. By formerAzresident on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

That was an awesome block that fitz did. I only seen it in the highlights, and couldn’t see it on tv. But a least I’ve got see them beat the cowboys!! Cards have a slim chance at playoffs, but when we make it I don’t think anyone would not want to play if we do.

53. By BIG RED on Dec 12, 2011 | Reply

I still believe Skelton is a better QB than kolb. Darren, what makes you think Kolb is better than JS. I mean just look at the coolness in this kid at 23, I see fear in Kolb and his a little bit older. Besides JS played college ball in a much less talented football conference than Kolb did. Stick with Skelton I see a star in the future. It’s not about the money its about the talent.

54. By brad oneill on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

sorry about that post darren, it deserves to never see the light of day.

55. By ross on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

All the concussion reporting these days is scary. Back in the day, I guess these guys just shook it off and kept playing. Scary. They truly are gladiators.

56. By G. Witt on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Right now this team doesn’t need distractions. That is what Todd would bring. How well do you think He and the d/c would get along. Don’t forget the Buddy Ryan era! What a mess that was. The team is starting to click on all cyclinders now. Go Cards!! Beat the browns!!!!!!!!!

57. By Scott H on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

We know that Haley and Warner were a great combination here…but I think Haley is a great and dynamic O-coordinator wherever he is. Clearly, he also had an impact on Fitzgerald, pushing him to be more than just a “one trick pony.” Fortuantely, Fitz is as self-driven as they come and he has continued to grow in Haley’s absence.

I would be very excited about Haley returning here to be the O-coordiantor, but…I wonder if Haley would consider that. In the NFL, some guys just don’t work out as head coaches and they return to their “rightful place” as a coordiantor somewhere. And there’s nothing wrong with that. Wade Phillips? ABSOLUTELY NOT a head coach. As a D-coordiantor? One of THE best and any team would love to have him. Fine. But you wonder if Haley going back to be a coordiantor with the same team he was with before would be generally perceived as going backwards.

I hope the Cardinals would be receptive to it, though, and would reach out to him. I’d love to see it.

58. By Scott H on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Couldn’t get on until today, so I’ve missed out on some of the celebration. GREAT, AWESOME win but it’s probably all been said, so…I’ll just say I agree! With everybody! But like Fitz, these wins NOW are just making the earlier losses all the more painful. Ah well. Beats being 4-12.

What’s NOT really so great is the QB situation. Kolb hurt again and Skelton coming in and sparking the team again. The more this happens, the more you wonder ( well, I wonder, anyway ) if Skelton should have maybe been the guy all along. Believe me, i wanted Kolb here and I would love to see him just take this job and run with it. But he has not. Injuries and poor play are leaving the door open for Skelton and he keeps coming through it. Yeah, he has had some clunkers, too. But…aren’t most of these wins HIS??? I don’t know…but I fear that Kolb will end this season as a question mark and that’s NOT what we needed.

Also, hard to deny that Fitz is just bigger when Skelton is under center. More often than not, anyway.

59. By cardsalltheway on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

WHAT?
    Is it true that Kolb has been sacked 30 times to 12 for Johnny S.? Let me guess as to why…If anyone saw how Johnny S. avoided(Shuck n Jive) one sack during the 49er game then maybe you’ll admit that Johnny S. is simply a MUCH MORE difficult QB to bring down. Therefore, teams DON’T go after or are more apprehensive to blitz Johnny S.

60. By cardsalltheway on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Don’t worry, I respect you. Cardinal fans want to know the answer to my question even though you’ve said before you don’t like or think it’s worth it to answer my questions. Talk about lack of respect! I’m older than you, have seen many more games than you and know just as much about football as you, which is why I respect you.

61. By cardsalltheway on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

K DUB,
    Don’t worry that draft pick was a BUST, good for part of a preseason and/or a few games at most but only at 2/3 his potential at draft time. Sad to say but if Williams ever pans out, it won’t be with the Cards.

62. By cardsalltheway on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Ryan Williams,
    Since K DUB asked about R. Williams, I’d like to know where he was at the time or what he thinks/thought about the 32 people killed and 25 people wounded on April 16th, 2007 which is known as the “Virginia Tech massacre?” Would you please e-mail me after you ask him or report on it?

63. By Jzoully on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Do you think that Brandon Keith deserves a new contract along with fellow lineman Levi Brown? Sure opinion, if you believe that they have actually played there way back to Arizona.

64. By Jason on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

I would like to comment on the whole John Skelton/Kevin Kolb situation. I think for anyone to root for one of our QB’s over the other is counter productive. Both have played well in games…and both have played poorly in games. Last week Skelton probably played the best game of his career and he turned the ball over three times…not exactly a winning formula. The interceptions were his “fault” because the one he threw across the field was WAY to high and the other one was in too much traffic (although I agree that it looked like pass interference to me). When Fitz can’t climb the ladder to get a pass you know it wasn’t just a “little” too high. On the flip side he made some fantastic throws and his completion percentage was something like 67% so he deserves his praise. We have made a huge finacial obligation to Kolb and more than one or two football minds have said that this guy has the tools to be a franchise QB. If Skelton were outplaying Kolb I would agree that he should be given the reigns right now, but he hasn’t, and he isn’t going anywhere. Kolb should play the rest of the season (if healthy) and next year in training camp these two guys will battle it out and make each other better through healthy competition and Whiz will make the decision on who will run his offense. That is the bottom line, you can complain and give your opinions all you want but if your opinions are wrong you still have a job….if Whiz is wrong his job is in jeapordy. At the end of the day we have two QB’s who have shown the ability to play well and win and I support whoever the starter is. Just sayin’

65. By TucsonTim on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Looked like both deflections /INT were forced and possibly PI on both. Close. Bad things usu happen when a QB runs right and then throws back across the field. Rookie mistake, but then Farve made that same “mistake” numerous times.

Worth going to the game just to watch the defense. Amazing.

If there was ever a time for Kolb to just go to the sideline and pop an ammonia capsule, that was it. I don’t believe anyone can get to the NFL and be “soft”, and I don’t wish him a lifetime of memory loss and headaches just for our entertainment, BUT I’ve watched Peyton Manning studying a photograph with one hand and hitting an ammonia capsule with the other. Unfortunate situation for Kolb. He’s building a reputation, like it or not.

66. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Big Red -

RE: QBs

I don’t know who is better between Kolb and Skelton. I do know I want to see Kolb more. I think Skelton hadba good game against the Niners. I also think Kolb played pretty well against Dallas. Again, as I said before, I’d like to see games for Kolb where he has this defense. But after seeing Skelton in SF and at St Louis, I don’t know how you could be certain about one over the other.

67. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

RE: Ryan Williams

I will talk to him about it the next chance I get.

68. By BIG RED on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

That is one of the reasons I mention his age. Give him time, I would hate for the Cardinals to let him go and then take another team to a higher level. I see kolb as having problems with his health (as in injury prone). Just the presence in the pocket makes Skelton remind you of a Big Ben and even Peyton Manning. Maybe some people don’t see that but time will tell. Eveybody has there own opinion I understand that and thanks for yours.

69. By We Missed Q on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

It never ceases to amaze me how people always like the back up qb no matter how he performs. Skelton rebounded well. However he benefitted GREATLY from the receivers finally getting substantial YAC. He turned the ball over 3 times. You can say all you want about PI or tipped passes, but both INT’s were forced and ANYONE who has EVER watched football knows you don’t throw late over the middle, especially back accross your body. Both INT’s and the fumble were his fault. The ONLY reason we were not blown out on Sunday was the defense forcing Fg’s not allowing TD’s.

70. By Brian on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Big Red I have always argued with you on the whole QB comparison only because you didn’t give Kolb a chance. But I have always agreed with you that Skelton has talent and his mobility definitely reminds me of Big Ben(he may even be a little more athletic). I was excited when we drafted him in the 5th round. I think Skelton has a very bright future and when he plays well I see nothing but greatness but he still makes those costly mistakes and that will be taken care of in time. Like you said, he’s only 23.

On the flip side, I do still think we need to give Kolb a chance when healthy to get comfortable in the offense. He had a lot of pressure on him early this season trying to learn a new offense and trying to win a division that everyone predicted we could do now that we had him as a QB. We saw in the Dallas game what he looked like when he was relaxed and he could just play football. We could very well end up with 2 quality QBs. If Kolb doesn’t work out then we have the luxury of an organization friendly contract and can cut our ties. If anything, we spent a 2nd round pick and an overrated corner to guarantee we locked up Fitz for the long term. To me, that is definitely worth it to see him retire a Cardinal.

71. By BIG RED on Dec 13, 2011 | Reply

Hey We Miss Q, Mr. know it all, seems to me your the only one that looks for faults on Skelton. What Skelton is doing for his age is something you just don’t understand. As for Brian I have to only agree that both Skelton and Kolb had one good half in there games against dallas and san francisco so I guess will call it even. Like you once mention that I was piss cause kolb makes more money, who cares about the money it’s about the talent and I don’t think I have to see more about kolb I have made my decision.But I do agree with you if Kolb doesn’t work out. We sign Fitz for a long time thanks to kolb. We might after all become friends.

72. By clssylssy on Dec 14, 2011 | Reply

What? “return to their rightful place”? What is this the dark ages or the caste system? Some people are very “hands on” and their talents are best utilized when they are not in a position of having to jump through administrative/ political hoops for the Owner/Organization. Haley did a great job last year in KC but, that is one tough place to be Head Coach, and he is not the boot licker that is a big part of the job description there. I grew up in that area and know the Chiefs have discarded many very good and distinguished coaches such as Dick Vermil, Mary Shottenheimer, and are expecting the second coming of Hank Stram, so their loss could be our gain. This has not exactly been your “normal” season but many coaches are bearing the brunt for the Owners bad behavior and the lockout…gotta blame somebody when the fans are screaming and throwing tantrums. Most teams have been decimated by injuries and are down to their backups, who, in our case have proven to be sharp young talents. If we could get Haley back I think it could be a lateral move and good for everybody…he seemed to know how to get the best out of players and was a good balance to Coach Whisenhunt’s more cerebral and philosophical demeanor. Right now, let’s concentrate on winning the rest of our games and finishing strong! GO CARDS! FLY HIGH!

73. By Scott H on Dec 14, 2011 | Reply

clssy lssy -

Yes, their “rightful place.” It is a reality in the NFL that some guys just shine coordinators but not as head coaches. Haley…Dick Jauron…Wade Phillps…Josh McDaniels…Marty Morningweg ( O – coordiantor in Philly )… Mike Nolan…several others I could name. And, yes, I could name several others who were coordiantors who HAVE been successful as head coaches. Clearly, this goes on a case by case basis, does it not? But my point stands, whether you like my choice of words or not – SOME guys just don’t make it as head coaches.