• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

In praise of Peterson’s defense

Posted by Darren Urban on December 16, 2011 – 9:49 am

While watching a ton of video on Cardinals rookie Patrick Peterson, NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell has his opinions on the cornerback, but he said the best way to notice his progress is simply by watching the spots his own coaching staff has put him in of late.

“The team is telling you how he’s doing by how they are using him,” Cosell said. “They are using him on the opponent’s number one receiver with no help over the top. That says something.”

It says that Peterson has made huge strides on defense. He didn’t play well earlier in the season at cornerback, and his defense has been well overshadowed by his incredible punt return exploits. But as good as he is on special teams, the Cards took him No. 5 overall to be a eventual star at cornerback. Maybe he’s headed in that direction.

“I have a tough assignment,” Peterson said. “I’m a rookie going against these number one receivers each and every week. That’s a tough duty. But that’s what they expect out of me and I want to have it continue that way.

“The beauty about the NFL is that there are 16 games to improve. I had a rough beginning of the season, but those things come with being a rookie and a top five guy being on a number one receiver. I have stayed patient and done things I know help me be better.”

Cosell marvels at Peterson’s athletic ability. After watching video from the Cowboys-Cardinals game, Cosell said Peterson, covering Dez Bryant, “ate him up.”

“Patrick Peterson has improved dramatically,” Cosell said. “I’d argue, if you put Darrelle Revis number one and Johnathan Joseph number two, Peterson would be number three over the last month or so. I don’t think anyone is playing better at the position right now.”

Peterson knows he isn’t there yet.

“It’s progress I want to make,” Peterson said. “I don’t want to rush into it. The game is starting to slow down for me. I believe I am a much different player than I was Week One. … It feels good to know where I am at right now even though I know I can get better.”

Tags:

34 Responses to “In praise of Peterson’s defense”

1. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

He’s a blast to watch for sure!

2. By carlo italy 7000 on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

darren
    could i ask uwhat are the stats of fitzgerald with kolb and with skelton..???

3. By SteveDCO on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

WoW!! #3 CB in the NFL….

4. By Dynosoar on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Dominique who? I think that’s what Philadelphia is saying as well.

I’m hoping for a couple of short kickoffs to the Hyphen and some punts to Peterson in the same game.

Come on Browns, Bengals and Seahawks, kick to our guys.

5. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Carlo –

RE: Fitz breakdown

I’d have to do some research on that.

6. By Albert on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

How much longer do you think it’ll take for the league label Peterson one of the best in the league if he continues improving the way he is?

7. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Albert –

RE: Peterson rep

Well, I think he has a bit to go before he deserves that reputation. But it’s a good start.

8. By carlo italy 7000 on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

thank u darren..will u put the stats on this blog?

9. By cards62 on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

It has been a joy watching Patrick Peterson and the entrie defense grow this season. I just hope Peterson stays hungry and continues working. Mr. Rod Graves if he does I will give you a hint and advise that you sign him to a long extension 2 years before his rookie contract expires. I am hoping that D. Washington is signed to an extension before next season is over.

Darren thank you for the article also on A. Wilson. He has always been one of my favorites but I must admit last year and at the start of this year my feelings were that he was hurting our defense with his play. I could not be happier that he is once again at the top of his game as you can not find a harder worker or better Cardinal than A. WIlson.

I was checking up on Cleveland and they do have a really good D. 8th in the league in scoring and 9th in total yardage given up so I hope our offense comes ready to play. I predicted Beanie would have over 1,200 yards on the ground before the season started so I am hoping he and the o-line have a great game.
    Cleveland is not much on offense . I believe ranked 29th in yards per game and 30th in scoring per game so looking forward to watching our Red Sea Defense shut them down.

Go Cardinals beat the Browns.

10. By Big Red Hyperbole on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

RE: Peterson Rep

What will be interesting to see is whether or not the officials start to give him a little more respect in terms of holding on to flags rather than throwing them in “questionable” situations. Seems like throughout the season when there’s a tussle with a WR, Peterson draws the flag. I think I can remember about 5 instances in which a more respected CB probably (key word) would have gotten the benefit of the doubt.

Here’s to the Cardinals next shut down corner! And its been quite a while since Aeneas Williams, so not a moment too soon.

11. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Carlo –

RE: Stats

When/if I can get to it, yes.

12. By CardsRepInChile on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

As you noted, in games he is usually lined up against the opponent’s #1 receiver, and I believe it’s because of this that I regularly see him give a cushion and let the WR catch the underneath stuff. He’s a stud on the long ball with his closing speed and rarely lets the WR get behind him, but he’ll give up the short stuff without a whole lof of contesting the ball.

My question:

Does he play this same way in practice or does he jam the WR at the line more? I know at LSU he liked to bump ‘n run but feel that he gives cushions in games, to prevent the big play. So I’m just curious if he plays the same in practice, or if he will jam more receivers at the line in practice?

Thanks!

13. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Peterson has to be rookie of the year, I mean his shoe are already in the HOF!!!

14. By Brian on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Wish we still have D R-C. Was a dumb decision trading him away. We could have had 2 first round corner backs playing on the defense.

15. By Joseph on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

I honestly think that once we have the QB that is close to warner that we have another team that is ready for the super bowl. We Have the people we have the defense just need to shore up the last remaining issues

16. By bobf on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Darren: Is it just me – or as well as our defense is playing, they seem short on turnovers?

17. By Peter in Canada on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

There is no doubt that he will, barring injury, eventually become another Aeneas Williams. I saw the job he did on Bryant and I was really impressed with the fact that he had to cover him all over the field. I think the whole secondary has improved because some of those sacks we were getting were coverage sacks.

18. By Shaun Church on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Darren & Carlo—

I’ll save you some time, Darren; here you go, Carlo.

Fitz with Kolb in 8 games:
    38 catches for 658 yards, 2 TD (17.3 YPC)

Fitz with Skelton in 5 games:
    23 catches for 411 yards, 4 TD (17.9 YPC)

Fitz with Bartel in 4th quarter of Eagles game:
    1 catch for 23 yards, 1 TD

All told, Fitzgerald averages about the same amount of catches and yards per game with both (a bit more than 4.5 catches and 82 yards per game), but the touchdowns is what stands out. Kolb can’t seem to get Fitz into the end zone.

19. By Jzoully on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Patrick Peterson is amazing now but do you think that the Cardinals might draft another former LSU Tiger cornerback? (Tyrrann Mathieu, or Morris Claiborne)

20. By brad oneill on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

WHat i have noticed is Peterson is taking his responsibilities very seriously, a lot of young corners get burned going for picks, but peterson is concentrating on preventing the offensive player from making the play first and I believe pick offs are kind of an afterthought.. This is the exact opposite of how DRC attempted to develop he was concentrating on the big play and he managed to get a lot of them..

My guess is PP will be making some spectacular pick offs in the coming years as his confidence in his coverage increases. I can’t wait until he trusts his instincts enough to pick off an aaron rodgers back shoulder pass. its coming cardinals faithful it is coming.

21. By ManwemissDRC on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

I dont kno whats up with the Dominique who? If I was a starting cornerback and I got thrown into nickel with a completly new defesne, i wouldnt put up any stats either, we should of kept rogers-cromartie obviously

22. By MIKE G on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren– Peterson is definitely improving and just has to show consistency week in and week out and he will get the accolades. Hey Darren–Looks like we will see Seneca Wallace this week- we must not take this game lightly- Brown’s have been playing tough on D. I think Beanie will have a big game this week playing against his home town club-Cleveland-Ohio!!
    Darren–Do you see K-Rhodes getting any snaps during the game??? How did he look in practice??

23. By John the Draft Guy on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

OK, the cards are putting Peterson as one CB. But after that, it will be interesting which direction they go NEXT year.

* Marshall is a FA, and has played well in the slot, at safety and even replacing Jefferson. But he could sign elsewhere.

* Jefferson is long and has athleticism. Has potential, but potential get coaches fired. Lost his starting job.

* Toler was OK last year and seemed to be moving in the right direction, only to have a season ending injury. Cards held back on Breaston due to injuries.

This off season will pose a few questions at CB. Lets face it, Jefferson and Toler are question marks. So, Do you draft another CB , maybe 1st round? Do you resign Marshall (provided he wants to) and let the 3 CBs battle it out? Or do you make a splash in FA ?

Any insight on this one Darren?

24. By Joram on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Darren who do u think is better DRC or Patrick Peterson

25. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

CardsRep –

RE: PP in practice

Honestly, I don’t pay that close of attention to that, since we can’t talk about practice. I do know that, talking to analyst Ron Wolfley, PP hasn’t been as physical in bump and run as he could be. As for cushion, that might just be scheme for now. They do not want to give up the big play, period.

26. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

bobf –

RE: Turnovers

True the last couple of games, but the way they are playing, that’s probably getting picky.

27. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Jzoully –

RE: Cornerbacks

I see bigger issues for which to draft right now.

28. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

John the draft guy –

RE: CB

I don’t see them making a “splash” not with other areas where that could benefit.

29. By Darren Urban on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

Joram –

RE: Better CB

Right now? Peterson. We’ll see if DRC can find himself again.

30. By Scott H on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

LOVE this Peterson Kid!!! And would LOVE to see him run just ONE MORE back this year. Save it for the Seahawks. I hate the Seahawks. One of my best freinds is a Seahawk fan. We usually watch the games together at a sports bar ( believe it or not, Cardinals / Seahawk games are usually not seen on TV on the East coast ) and he gets juuuuuust a litle too giddy and annoying when the Seahawks win. And ya know what? I hate it. BUT…that’s down the road. Browns are up next and while I find it hard to hate the Browns, I hope we beat them up just the same!

31. By austin on Dec 16, 2011 | Reply

WHO WAS DRC AGAIN? PP is going to be amazing and to hear Whiz praise his work ethic is very encouraging! I love that he wears my old number and I can’t wait to watch our defense eat up the opposition for a long long time.
    GO CARDS!!!!

32. By Eric on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

@Brian

DRC was NOT a good CB, he was a ball hawk that couldn’t cover and got burned constantly. Worse than that, he wasn’t physical, hated getting hit, was a poor tackler, and was a poor at all facets of the game except that he was exciting when he was lucky enough to get the ball. He rarely played for Philly this year before he got hurt, and played even less after his poor cover skills got him burned and cost them points too many times. I for one don’t miss him at all. I’ll take the guys we have. I’m only going to miss that second round pick, but hopefully we make that up in FA. OFFENSIVE TACKLES PLEASE!!!!

33. By sunday on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

Some cards fan are just crybabies.Its funny how some people were callin for wiz to get fired and said a lot of negative things about our defensive coordinator.here I see people praising peterson and saying Dominique who?.probably these are the same people were upset about kevin kolb trade. I’m glad wiz never listened to fans in here you can tell from moves he makes. People be patient we been doing good last couple years is not like we are used to success. Remember where we came from.Go Cards

34. By Scott H on Dec 17, 2011 | Reply

The people who think that DRC was such a great loss for the Cardinals should talk to some Eagles fans out here in Philly. Seriously. Many of them would give him back for a bag of rocks right about now.