Browns aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on December 18, 2011 – 8:51 pm

After a while, even these endings tend to numb you. The Cardinals didn’t really do anything different than they have been. They won. Their playoff hopes took a blow when the Raiders couldn’t finish off the Lions in Oakland – the Cards need a lot of help the next two weeks, even if they win out, for the playoffs – but the goal at this point can only be a 9-7 record and let the rest settle out as it may.

Let’s put this four-game winning streak in perspective, at least when it comes to me. I’ve never seen one. I started covering this team full time in 2000; the Cards’ last four-game win streak was in 1999. (I’ve seen a few four-game losing streaks, but I digress).

– Props to Ken Whisenhunt’s 43rd win as Cards’ coach to set the franchise record and break his tie with Don Coryell. No, it’s not a Belichickian total, but it means something. It especially means something since it looked all but impossible to reach this season after that wretched start.

– It’s still so hard to decipher QB John Skelton. Some great plays. Some plays he’s got to make. A stumbling offense, but a win. Good yardage – 313 – but a passing rating below 80 because he threw so many incompletions. Cards have won five of six he has played the majority of the snaps, however.

“Everyone talks about Tim Tebow and his record but you look at John’s record and it’s pretty good too,” wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald said.

Let’s not bring Tebow into this, Fitz. Skelton’s his own man. “I don’t consider myself able to lean on the crutch I am a young quarterback anymore,” Skelton said. “If there are plays that need to be made, I need to make them.”

– Fitzgerald explained the game-winning play where he unbelievably got wide open for the 32-yard gain. “We had been in that bunch (formation) three times throughout the day and every single time we ran it before, we ran the ‘Toss Crack’ out of it for Beanie,” Fitzgerald said. “As soon as I lined up in the formation they were yelling ‘Crack, crack, crack!’ The cornerback kind of settled, and I saw that and went vertical and broke it to the corner.”

– Speaking of playcalls, here was Whiz’s explanation of the shovel pass that went sour after Schofield’s forced fumble. The Cards ended up kicking a tying field goal when Skelton was sacked (and the Cards went nowhere on three downs). “We had a play we thought would work,” Whisenhunt said. “It was a good play to get to LaRod (Stephens-Howling) on a shovel pass inside. They played it (well). Kudos to them. … It’s a situation where we’ll second-guess that or I’ll think about it all night, would have, could have, should have run the ball. The ones that work, you don’t second-guess.”

– I will admit I was expecting a lot more Beanie. Skelton had 48 pass attempts and Beanie Wells just 15 rushing attempts (for 51 yards, so he is still six short of 1,000 for the season). Obviously the Cards fell behind, but against the 31st-ranked rush defense, it was surprising.

– Safety Kerry Rhodes made his return, and showed up a couple of big times, one on a diving play to break up a deep pass, and another to take down a pass receiver short of a first down. “Getting back into the mix was a little weird, but no rust,” Rhodes said.

– Kicker Jay Feely said he was ready to kick a 54-yard field goal had that last pass to Fitzgerald not been completed. Then maybe Fitz couldn’t have gotten off his postgame jab at the kicker: “I wish I would have been able to get in the end zone,” Fitz said, “but I wanted Jay to get a shot. I wanted to get his Twitter followers up.”

– That’s @JayFeely, for those interested. And @LarryFitzgerald.

– The field-position game started lousy for the Cards (obviously, since the offense couldn’t do anything) but ended perfect. Patrick Peterson’s big last punt return was huge, but it was helped because the defense forced a punt deep in Cleveland territory.

– Thank goodness for the first turnover in three weeks. Only gave the Cards a field goal, but it was enough.

– Cornerback Michael Adams said some on defense needed to “wake up” after that first Cleveland drive, but they did. Browns RB Payton Hillis had 51 yards rushing in the first quarter and still didn’t get to 100 (99 total).

– Fitz was full of one-liners. On playing yet another barnburner: “We wanted to help CBS with their ratings.”

Christmas is coming. A winning streak — which the Cards will attempt to make five in Cincy Christmas Eve — is a fun gift for the whole family.

Tags: , , , , , ,

82 Responses to “Browns aftermath”

1. By Big Red Hyperbole on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the rundown Darren, that was a nice recap.

Before anyone else beats me to the punch, I’d like to say that John Skelton should definitely be the NUMBER ONE (wait for it) BACKUP on this team!! While some are likely to see this victory as another sign that Skelton is the heir apparent to the Cards QB throne, I just see it as another sign that he’s awesome with the clipboard. Despite all of his experience with this offensive system he still continuously and predictably leaves big plays/points out on the field. Get Kolb healthy, get him more experience in these last two games, and lets roll next year with him.

Oh and by the way, I’m DISGUSTED with myself. I actually found myself cheering for the Raiders today (in a boisterous fashion, no less) and look where it got me. Boo silver and black, your ineptitude makes me soooo proud to be anything BUT a Raiders fan. Go Chargers next week and go Packers in week 17!!! We’re still in this!!

2. By Dave on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren-
    What was the story on the challenged fumble? Why didn’t they give Calais the recovery for the touchdown? Thanks

3. By Phoenixraven1 on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

First half was ghostly quiet in the U of P…4th quarter you could hardly hear yourself thinking!

4. By wayne on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

After we recovered the fumble at the Browns 5 yrd line, dont you think that the play calling was horrible, Beanie Wells just scored and they did not run the ball once, they called two bad plays, why didn’t they give the ball atleast once to Beanie, I just dont understand what the Cards were thinking there.

Also, all we need is Detroit to lose twice and they have two very tough games VS San Diego and at Green Bay, The Oakland loss reminded me off our loss to the Giants, I really thought they had the Lions beat.

Thanks, Wayne

5. By Steve W on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

What a fun game and a exciting month’s worth of Cardinals football. Looks grim for sneaking into the postseason, but I think fans have a lot to look forward to next season. Kolb will have a full off season to prove to the team and to the fans that he is what the coaches (and Fitz!) believe him to be and our defense can surely only get better as they settle into their schemes even more fully than they already have.

No matter how these last two games play out, and whatever is to be so far as the postseason goes, I think the Cards and we fans have a lot to look forward to next season.

GO CARDS!!!

6. By Edwin (Mexico) on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

hey, Darren i’ve got a question…if the cards end up 9-7 and so do the lions who goes to the playoffs? By the way, great 2nd half for the defense (:

7. By Kevin on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

The way SD played tonight, I’d say they have a decent shot at beating Detroit next week. One of ATL and DET has to lose both their games and DET is more likely to do so. The Bears could still end up 9-7 but seems unlikely given their situation, and now we don’t have to worry about DAL or NYG any more taking a wildcard spot from us.

Go Chargers! And Saints! Although I can’t imagine TB beating ATL the last week in ATL, it would be nice to have all of ATL, CHI and DET lose this week while we beat CIN… that last weekend would be crazy…

I haven’t looked at who SEA owns the tiebreakers against, but with how maligned the NFC West has been lately, how cool would it be if SEA and ARZ both won next week and the winner of the season finale had a chance for the playoffs? (Especially since we have the late game and the ATL and DET games should be over.) When people started talking about playoffs for the Cards a few weeks ago (when it admittedly seemed a much bleaker possibility than now), I don’t think anyone thought we’d also be talking about SEA in the mix as well.

When they mentioned on TV that all 7 Cardinal wins, we’ve been trailing at halftime, I couldn’t believe it. And then to think we were leading going into the 3rd quarter of 3 of the losses is crazy! This team is a cardiac arrest waiting to happen. But 7-7 is unbelievable considering where they started.

8. By Brian on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren, when was the last time the Cardinals won 5 in a row? or 6?

9. By Rich on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

was at the game. my heart can’t take much more of this. great finish…..was surprised we didn’t see more of Beannie. go Cards !!

10. By Evan on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

One of the CBS announcers stated (near the beginning of the game) that the Browns just played Pittsburgh so Cleveland was essentially seeing the same defense again – perhaps the reason for their quick start.

Regardless, Skelton should be more of a national story with his Tebow-esque wins. For us to be a real threat though, our offense needs to be as dangerous as the defense. So, I’m looking forward to Kolb at the helm full-time to make a division championship in 2012 a reality.

Couple of other things I hope we’ll see next year: 1) A second deep threat to take some attention off of Fitz, and 2) Black helmets!

11. By Secret on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren! The Cardinals are at .500 now, so lets talk playoffs! Just 2 quick questions:

1) How much luck will the Cardiac Cards need to get a wild card spot?

2) Would you call this season a success at 8-8 and no playoffs?

12. By cardman12 on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Darren…..everytime i watch the nfl channel. It says C.wells … if im right wouldn’t it be B.wells.. just wondering..?

13. By R Robles on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Ok Darren speak on playoffs were 7-7 buddy…Hell Ya Co Cards!! we might just sneak in baby…..for real’s thats all I want for X-mas seeing the Cardinal’s make the wild card thats it.

14. By TucsonTim on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Where was the running game? Sure, the defense was asleep for the first 18 minutes of the game, but where was the running game. Has anybody interviewed Russ? Or is he just a sacred cow that keeps getting a pass game after game?

15. By Darren Urban on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Dave –

RE: fumble

The play was blown dead and they said he was down. That can be challenged with a clear recovery – which Campbell did – but the play is still down at recovery.

16. By az1965 on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

I was also surprised with only 15 carries for Beanie vs. 45 pass plays against a 31st rush defense… I would like to hear what coach has to say Monday presser. Hope someone asks this question.

Oh, BTW, John Skeleton… 5-1 ;)

17. By Darren Urban on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Edwin –

RE: Lions tie

I think the Cards would be in, but just those two teams tying seems unlikely.

18. By This Guy on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

The Chiefs screwed us with the victory over Greenbay. Now that they have a loss, why bother sending your starters vs the Lions? Now the way I see it is that we need the Niners to win against the Steelers so that way the Saints don’t rest personnel vs the Falcons. Next 2 weeks I’m rooting for Tampa, NO, San Diego & Greenbay. (& Obviously the Cards)

19. By Eric on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Darren, for making a great point about not taking advantage of a not so great run defense. It has been awesome watching the D come alive, and I hope the O guys, especially Mike Miller, thanks them for these wins. Another horrible first quarter, can’t score from the five, etc, etc. Why? It’s not fluke we were down 21 points. Throwing on second and short, again, and failing again? Don’t get me wrong, it’s very fun to watch the forth quarter, but the rest leaves a bit to be desired. The D may save Whiz’s job, but I hope at least we can get a real OC. I hear Todd Haley is free…

20. By bluepitt on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

RUN THE BALL WHIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. By WildCard on Dec 18, 2011 | Reply

Postseason wins dont count towards consecutive wins? 2008 we had four in a row.

22. By Soares20 on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Glad to see everyone is starting to see that Kolb is our future, don’t get me wrong Skelton is capable, but that is it capable. I’m not sure about the rest of you but I would rather not have all of our games come down to overtime Skelton is just lucky our D came around. Kolb might be skidish in the pocket but he is more accurate and a better decision maker which is what this team needs. Go Cards!

23. By Michael on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Hi Darren.
    So proud of the boys for yet another clutch win.
    I wanted to know whether you feel like the Cards will keep Kolb for next season?
    I’ve been reading a few articles (one of which on the NFL) website saying that the Cards could opt out of the contract with a pretty minimal cap hit.
    Which route do you think they will go?
    I personally hope they keep him, we can’t be one of those teams who are just a QB carousel who won’t commit to someone. Kolb has shown some great promise and with the right coaching, I feel like he could be great.

24. By abarringer on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Cards wear all red jerseys and win again…if I’m not mistaken the Cards always seem to win when wearing the all red fits. Darren: can we get a stat on the cards winning percentage in the all red jerseys versus the normal red tops and white pants? I said it years ago and I will say it again…home = all red…away = all white

25. By cardsalltheway on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Way to go Johnny S. Whoever called down to Ken W. on that Seneca “fumble,” excellent job! We got a break on that since I don’t think it was that clear but must’ve been clear enough. I did wonder about watching in real time. Seneca got twisted back in a wierd way. Big play and call. I only saw one angle and don’t remember seeing any others.

26. By CardinalSwag on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

I am glad the cardinals won, but I am enraged in the lack of run plays. Darren, do you think beanie might be upset at the lack of run plays?

27. By Chet on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

I’ve been a Cardinals fan for 40 years…yep, baseball and football, St. Louis and then the move to AZ (I was born in Tuscson, so it really worked out). When people ask, then why aren’t you a Rams fan I remind them of who beat the Cards in the playoffs in ’75….Anyway, I think it’s time to bring it back….The CARDIAC CARDINALS!!!

28. By Atokaite TN on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Long time fan here, since the days of Chicago, St. Louis.
    The Cardiac Cards have returned. Skelton reminds me a lot of Jim Hart.
    Sometimes absolutely just like Joe Montana, then again like the latter day QBs of the St Louis Cards.
    Playoffs, a wild last weekend, all make for the Cardiac Cards to provide some of the best football on the screen.
    Hoo Ran
    Semper FI

29. By Rich on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Darren !!!! Whiz says he may lose sleep over that shovel pass call ! Sounds like he IS calling the plays !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. By wsphxcardsfan on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Man, that “wretched” losing streak seems like a long time ago now. I remember the Red Sea, yours truly included, used Darren’s blog as a punching bag where we could dump all of our frustrations. Now, there’s hope in the air and I’m not talking about making the playoffs. Sure, it would be awesome to find ourselves having luck fall our way and earn a wildcard spot, but really what I see is hope for the future.

PS Kolb is still obviously the starter as soon as he can get healthy enough to play…whenever that may be.

31. By MIKE G on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren– You have to give the Card’s credit for their win streak. It’s the same old formula–good defense and timely late heroics by the offense. A Peterson return does not hurt either. You have to give Skelton credit–5-1 as a starter. Seems to have a knack for winning – he is cool and I like his demeanor. The team will need help to make the post-season but if they can get to 8-8 –I would be very proud of the team given their start of the season. It is a good sign for next year. I thought Schofield played well- he also has a bright future. Surprised Beanie struggled some but the Brown’s have a goof defense. Glad to see Feely get a game winning kick and Heap give a contribution. Darren– Thought Whiz did a great job going no-huddle to get the team going! Were you surprised Heap- led the team in receptions yesterday???

32. By Andy M on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Again, it was a team effort with the defense leading the way. Skelton had a good game. There were some drops–including the interception–the pass hit the receiver in the middle of the chest. There were some missed throws too, but we all know what the bottom line is on Skelton–he is an unflappable winner. Of course, the Cardinals have to commit to Kolb, long-term, but how do you replace a guy who is making plays to help win critical games when your team is in the playoff hunt? It will be interesting to see how Whiz plays this one…And, kudos to Whiz for the savvy challenge and his game plan.

33. By Mike Ellingboe on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

@Edwin,

If we both go 9-7, we’d be in because we’d have a better conference record. However, we still need to see what the Giants & Cowboys do, because since we hold the head-to-head tie-break against Dallas, obviously we don’t against the Giants.

34. By Justin on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Lions can easily lose the next two (vs SD @ GB)……this AZ team has played no quit football and the defense is finally shaping up…This team would easily have a wild card spot if they had OTA’s and mini camps

35. By joe67 on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Man, early in the game all I could think was “this looks like the early season Cardinals”. We DID NOT come out ready to play. Expected that a little bit from Offense, but not the D. They were terrible early, but sure made up for it.
    Speaking of early, what is up with Doucet. He has sure hit a rough spot, it seems.
    Well I guess the “Ugly Red Uniform’s” prevailed again.
    9-7 would be great under the circumstances, but need to play better than yesterday I think.

36. By steve on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Darren, I am still a big fan of Skelton, his pocket presence is clearly better than Kolb’s — I think his mistakes are primarily of the ‘young’ variety, for instance the 1st down failed shovel pass — a flip of the ball out of bounds (he appeared well out of the tackle box) ‘may’ have allowed us to get the TD– rather than taking the sack! But I want your opinionon on a thought I had? If Kolb starts next week (and he probably) will — lets say the offense is sputtering and we are losing 10-0, going into the 4th.. what is the likelihood that Whiz would switch to Skelton, and if he indeed does, will that divide the team -win,lose or draw? In other words do you think Whiz and the team have gained confidence in Skelton and lose confidence in Skelton

37. By steve on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

i meant lost confidence in Kolb

38. By Kevin on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Only Lions/Cards tying at 9-7 seems unlikely? The only other possibilities to end up with that record are ATL (requires losing to NO and TB), NYG (must win last two — but if they do, they win the division), DAL (if they win next week and then lose to NYG), and CHI (need to win at GB next week on national TV — very unlikely given how much they’re reeling, plus GB will want to rebound from their loss — and would need to win their last game as well).

The only 3-way tie at 9-7 that seems plausible (assuming we’re involved) is ARZ/DET/DAL. In that case, I think since there is no head-to-head sweep (we didn’t play both teams), we go to best W/L in the conference. We’ll be 7-5 and so will DAL in the above scenario. DET would be 6-6. So the Lions are out. And then, the beauty is that once the 3-team tie is broken, the rule says that you revert to step 1 of the applicable 2-team tiebreaking procedure — which is head to head and we beat DAL. So we’re in.

ATL would present the same scenario in the unlikely event that they lose their last two — they’d be 6-6 in the conference so since there’d be no head-to-head sweep involving the Cardinals, they’d be eliminated before AZ in any 3-team tiebreaker (or 4 teams — if it was DAL, AZ, ATL and DET, DAL and AZ would get in at 7-5).

It seems to me that the only team that can screw up a 9-7 tiebreaker for us is the Bears and that seems really unlikely at this point. So yeah we need help — in particular, we need DET to lose 2 games (or ATL) — but if so, we should be in if we win out, barring the Bears winning their last two.

Someone please correct me if I have that wrong because it will be on this assumption that I will be watching all the Christmas weekend games.

39. By Peter in Canada on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Big Red Hyperbole – I can see your point, but only to a point lol.

Two years ago Skelton was playing a type of football that would be on a par with the better high school programmes. Last year after being on the P.S. for most of the year, he played in 4 games and despite the 2-2 record really did not show very much. Then we had the lockout, he was injured in the second pre-season game and was again third string for part of the year. This year his record is 5-1 and although he has had a lot of help from the D he has shown flashes of being very good but as you say he has been inconsistent. The point I am making is that he has made big strides from what he was and I don’t think we can categorically say that he can not continue to improve and not leave those big plays/points on the field.

40. By jocards on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Post season is not likely for this team but you have to hand it to the coaching staff and the players for holding together and turning their season around. It is so nice to see them playing the way they are now. Great job!

41. By Kevin on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

By the way, re: Kolb/Skelton, I’m the first to admit I want Kolb out there, but it’s great to see Skelton playing well enough for us to win these games. Makes me feel we have a shot in any game even if we lose our starting QB. Which is a pretty good feeling considering, for example, the Bears collapse without their QB.

And Skelton is saying all the right things too — e.g., this quote: “We, as an offense, aren’t where we need to be,” he said, “whether I am at quarterback or Kevin is at quarterback. You can see when we put it all together as an offense, as a defense, as special teams, we are a hard team to stop.”

Great to see him not tooting his own horn over Kolb, and just acknowledging that the offense needs to get better, period.

Surprised Beanie couldn’t do more yesterday. But, no fumbles for the Cards. Good control of the ball by our backs and receivers during this streak. Skelton has some INT’s and one lost fumble, but I don’t think anyone else has turned the ball over since Beanie fumbled in the STL game.

42. By Jzoully on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

I read a post about Kolb on bleacher report, and it said that if we waived Kevin Kolb that we would be hit with cap restrictions, but it would also save us money because he is owed $2 million in salary and $10 million in bonuses. Is there any reason to believe that in terms of winning that releasing Kolb is the right choice? http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=4151&line=223766&spln=1

43. By CJ on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Great game to watch. I was really nervous we were going to blow it but Skelton seems to play better when he’s under pressure. Regarding Skelton, I have to say that although we did win in the end, he made some terrible throws earlier in the game. A couple of them were while he was being hit or running for his life but still. It just shows why Kevin Glass… I mean Kolb… is still the starter. Just need to keep him healthy.

By the way, it’s really interesting to see the NFC West not being the red headed stepchild of the league anymore. There is a high likelihood that 3 NFC West teams can get a .500 season or better. Amazing how things have changed.

44. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Just curious, did coach whiz reach 42 wins faster than Don Coryell ? and if so by how many more games? Congrats to coach whiz on number 43 !!! Makes the Cardinal Nation PROUD! Mahalo!!!

45. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Brian —

RE: 5-game win streak

The last time they had five wins in a row was 1977.

46. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Secret —

RE: Questions

1) The Cards need a ton of help at this point. It doesn’t look good.
    2) A success? No. Can’t miss playoffs and consider a season a success, especially if they go 8-8. But I do think it would be a significant achievement to rally to have a .500 season. A very big deal.

47. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

cardman12 —

RE: Wells

His name is Chris Wells, hence the “C.” Beanie is a nickname.

48. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

WildCard —

RE: Win streaks

No, postseason one usually don’t count.

49. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Michael, Jzoully —

RE: Kolb future

I don’t know if you can say one way or the other what Kolb can be long-term, but I would be very surprised if he wasn’t kept around in 2012.

50. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

abarringer —

RE: Two points on the uniforms

1) The Cards, under Whiz, are 11-2 wearing all red.
    2) The uniforms have absolutely nothing to do with whether they win or lose.

51. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

CardinalSwag —

RE: Beanie thoughts

I didn’t get to talk to him, but I would guess, especially against his hometown team, he was disappointed in the work.

52. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Heap

Given that he had been absent so long, yes, I was surprised.

53. By cardsalltheway on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

I am nothing and You are nothing when it comes to coaching. Or, who coaches the Cardinals here and there doesn’t matter because Darren said. We, Cardinal fans are Nothing, we don’t matter but Darren must matter more since he is the voice? So, who does matter Darren other than your fella self? Since no one else does except yourself, then why don’t you do something about it? Something stinks!!! Please tell us Darren what it is???

54. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Starting QBs

I would doubt the QB would be replaced like that, regardless of who starts.

55. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: Coryell/Whiz

No, Whiz needed more games to reach the mark.

56. By cardsalltheway on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

For the record, I don’t think Ken W. or any player mentioned or gave kudos to the fans???

57. By ndpenner on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

11-2 wearing all red…..hmmm…..psychologicallly, it might have an affect. Sure beats the black jersey record. We’re not the falcons. We’re the REDbirds. ;)

58. By Rick on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

I became a fan of John Skelton last season, saw a lot of potential in him. Was kind of disapointed that we brought in a QB, to tell the truth. Then I thought it was for the good of team and it would be nice to have a developed quarterback. Nothing at all against Kolb, but for some reason or another, either not really performing well when he is in (or to what he was hyped to be) to having bad luck with injuries, has not been able to feel like a Cardinal to me this season. I think Skelton could really thrive if given the role of the QB, not just a back up. To be able to practice and develop as the first string, not the second, would give him more confidence and the ability to grow as a leader. Just my opinion. Great to watch the Cardinals play Love every minute of it! Go Cards!

59. By Chris Robot on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

For those asking about playoffs, this is pretty nifty.

And here is the scenario that could see the Cards in: http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine/_/results/311219025~2~311222011~2~311224002~2~311224004~2~311224010~1~311224012~2~311224017~1~311224020~1~311224023~1~311224028~1~311224029~1~311224033~1~311224008~2~311224006~2~311224026~2~311225009~1~311226018~1~320101001~1~320101004~2~320101005~2~320101009~1~320101014~2~320101015~2~320101016~2~320101017~1~320101018~1~320101019~2~320101021~1~320101030~2~320101034~1~320101007~1~320101013~2~320101022~1

60. By Mike Ellingboe on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

@Kevin,

It all sounds right, but in reality both Oakland and KC really screwed us yesterday. I’ve really only focused on Detroit since I can’t see Atlanta losing to TB, so now Detroit has to go 0-2, which was a lot more realistic before KC blew up GB’s perfect season. Now GB has no reason at all to play any of the starters in the final week, whereas Detroit will possibly be playing for the final playoff spot.

Either way, with the way the season started it’s amazing to me that we’re even in the conversation.

61. By Kevin on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

@Mike Ellingboe, NYG/DAL are now pretty much irrelevant as far as our playoff chances. We won’t be in a wildcard tie with NYG no matter what, because if they end up 9-7, it means they will beat Dallas the last week and win the division.

As already noted, if it ends up that one of ATL/DET has more than 9 wins and the other ends up with 9, and there’s a 3-way tie between AZ/DAL and one of ATL/DET, then ATL/DET gets eliminated first in the 3-way tiebreaker at 6-6 in conf (to 7-5 for AZ/DAL) and then we win over DAL due to head-to-head. If AZ/DAL/ATL/DET all end up 9-7 and the Giants do as well and therefore win the division, DAL and AZ will win the tiebreaker and both get in over ATL/DET who would both be 6-6 in the conference. And if all 5 of AZ/DAL/ATL/DET/CHI/NYG end up 9-7, then NYG wins the East. CHI gets the first spot based on 8-4 conference record. And then we’re left with AZ/DAL/ATL/DET competing for one slot. ATL/DET lose out first because of a lower conf record, and then when left with AZ/DAL alone, AZ gets in due to head-to-head.

I am nearly positive that there is no scenario possible where we go 9-7 but lose a WC spot to DAL. Both AZ and DAL can get in if there’s a 4-way AZ/DAL/ATL/DET tie, but DAL can’t get in (as a WC) while AZ doesn’t. And NYG can’t get a WC at 9-7; if they’re 9-7, they win the division.

62. By Kevin on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Congrats to coach Whiz for most wins in history and looking forward to him coaching our team a lot longer. Also looking forward to Kolb getting back, hope he is back for this week. Stat wise he is so much better than Skelton whom by the way reminds me a lot of Jake Plummer. He is the type who will always have more int’s than TD’s. He is a cross between Plummer and Josh M. Kolb is a solid QB who will help Whiz get to many more wins. Keep playing touch defense.

63. By Mike Ellingboe on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

@Kevin,

That’s about as thorough of a breakdown of the playoff picture that I’ve read. Here’s hoping the conversation is still relevant a couple of weeks from now.

64. By Born n Bred on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Congrats Whiz on your personal achievement. You are most deserving of it. I may not always like your philosophies on things you do, but your poise and termperment as a coach, i do like.

D just keep doing the damn thing..

Wow dont tell me we didnt run because we were behind. it was 10-7 at half…Beanie 6 carries…ya.. Even if we didnt have that 7.. 10 is not that much behind.. I think skelton is an ok QB but, what that O did sunday suits him.. Put him in the gun and do was whiz always does and just DO a show em run game. Beanie finishes w/ 15 carries, how many come from the draw out of gun, where they are effefective because the D thinks where passing because wait for it, WE are always in the gunn. Sorry Kevin i love Plummer but Kolb reminds me of him. Put Plummer in the gun 80% of the time and his picks would be even higher. Put Plummer under center and on the move like Kolb with a consistent run game and I bet he does well..BET… Really to me, its pick what kinda of O you wanna run. Whiz will stick to his Philosophy like he did with Anderson and Leinart.. That Offense suited Anderson over Leinart… Kolb can do gun but not that much.. he needs 3-5 step drop backs… and a run game.. Thats just my view

65. By Scott on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

I’m still livid about the ball placement when we appeared to have stopped them at 3rd and 1 which then led to the 76yard TD. Not happy Jan, very poor call. Surely I wasn’t the only one to think this?

66. By Moon on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

The fact people are even talking about a QB controversy, means there is one!

I feel bad for Kolb too. Doesen’t mean he should get handed back his job.

67. By joe67 on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Coryell, 4 wins, 10, 11, 11, 7. I am pretty sure.

11-2 in Red. Been confusing opponents for some time, it appears. Perhaps nausea.

@cardsalltheway….It sounded on TV in the first half like more Cleve fans there than Cards. Sure glad everyone finally woke up. Does that really bother you that much, with everything going on after the game, the players didn’t mention the crowd??

68. By Scott H on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Take a bow, John Skelton. You’ve got a lot to be proud of and NOTHING to apologize for. I’ll take you ( and Fitz! ) over Tim Tebow any day. As far as I am concerned, if you are not given a chance to compete for the starting job next year in camp, then things are not being done in the best interests of the TEAM.

I don’t even care about playoffs right now. Honestly, where are we going in the playoffs??? Please. This team is really not ready for that yet. I’m just enjoying the wins for what they are and would be over the friggin’ moon with a 9-7 record!!!

69. By Scott H on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Kevin –

You may be right, but…regardless of who Skelton reminds you of, HE’S WINNING MORE GAMES THAN HE’S LOSING! Does anything ever matter more than that? I wish people would stop expressing opinions about what Skelton cannot do and just look at what he IS doing.

70. By Darren Urban on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Scott –

RE: ball placement

More tomorrow, but Whiz didn’t like it either. Couldn’t risk a challenge though.

71. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

I agree that the spot the ref gave the Browns was generous, but I also thought the Wallace fumble and some of the penalties called on Cleveland seemed home-biased.
    Sometimes you play with a clover and sometimes you have a game umpired by Jerome Boger.

72. By Kevin S on Dec 19, 2011 | Reply

Just for the record, I’m the Kevin who posted about the playoff scenarios above, but a different “Kevin” posted the comment comparing Plummer to Skelton. I’m going to start posting under the name “Kevin S” to differentiate…

73. By abarringer on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

11-2 is still 11-2….i think it has some psychological value with the all red jerseys and if I am not mistaken we have not lost this year in all red at home ?? I say don’t change it and rock the red bird look from now on. Who’s with me?

74. By Corgon on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

All red rocks!

75. By joe67 on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

If they help us win I’m for it…………but OMG. At least get the reds to match. Some look like the pants or the shirt is faded or something. Not very classy IMO

Yes, the spot was HORRIBLE.

76. By cards62 on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

Rats Darren wrote a long email yesterday and hit submit but it must be out there in cyberspace somewhere.

I will take our QB performance last game from anyone Warner, Kolb, Skelton, Bartel, or Mr. X. I do not have a favorite. I just want an open competition next camp and let the best man win.

We all have to admit Skelton played very well the last 2 games and is getting better.
    Remember his first game against the 49ers, and he did not even know he was going to play against the 49ers last week, but played much better and had his best game of the year verses a solid Browns pass defense, and once again we DID NOT HAVE A RUN GAME.

Darren – I believe Skelton hit 10 different players with passes. When was the last time a Cardinal QB did that? Skelton looked a lot better dumping the ball off and taking what the defense was giving him.

Skelton TD pass to Roberts and pass down the middle to Jeff King made me go wow that was nice.

I did not think the interception was a bad decision and felt our WR could have broken up the play. What do others think?

So glad there was a Todd Heap sighting and I hope he and Kolb are both healthy next season. Hope Heap catches 60+ passes for us next season and teaches Housler how to be a great TE. Man I love that R, Gronkowski kid for NE. Drafted in the second round # 10 couple of years ago. Did any of you Arizona WIldcat fans know he would be this great as a pro?

Darren our defense rebounded well from the opening drive and I am still very pleased with their progress, but I was wondering about Cleveland’s 2nd TD, the long pass. Which one of our defenders blew the coverage?

I hate the Raiders for letting Detroit win hurting our playoff chances and for not covering Calvin Johnson all game which knocked me out of the fantasy playoffs.

NFC West coming on. 49ers solid beating Pittsburg and Seattle and Arizona improving. NFL network talking about NFC East and how interesting this season is that Eagles could go 8 -8 and win the division. If it was the NFC West they would all just be saying we are all weak.

Go Cards I still believe in 9 – 7 so beat the 8 – 6 Bengals.

77. By Darren Urban on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

cards62 —

RE: Long pass

There wasn’t a blown coverage. LB Daryl Washington was there. If anything was “blown” it was the blitz — CB Michael Adams came free but let Wallace get on the outside, buying Little time to come back across the field and get a step on Washington.

78. By Scott H on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

I happen to really like the red-red uniforms. Then again, what uniform doesn’t look great when your team is winning??? But the red tops with white pants are my favorite. But as Kevin Costner said in Bull Durham – Never @!$& with a winning streak.

79. By jwimmer2 on Dec 20, 2011 | Reply

I really like the road uniforms the best (white/white), but the standard home uniforms are 2nd best in my opinion.

80. By Scott H on Dec 21, 2011 | Reply

cards62 –

RE: Lions beating Raiders

Yeah…that really sucked. But, hey, that’s what NOT controlling your own destiny is all about. Funny things happen in these late season games when maybe some teams have packed it in early and others are still playing all out. Remember playing the Eagles in the NFC title game a few years ago? The ONLY reason the Eagles were even IN the playoffs that year is because the Raiders ( Damn those Raiders! ) pulled a MAJOR upset over the Buccs the last week of the season and that put the Eagles in. A few weeks later, they’re coming here for a conference title game! Crazy, eh?

Then, look at the Giants-Redskins game last week….meant EVERYTHING to the Giants and not really anything to the Redskins and look what happened.

81. By Moon on Dec 22, 2011 | Reply

Cardinals, if the team goes 9-7, holds all tiebreakers against any other 9-7 teams in their conference.

Besides, I can see the Lions losing to both Chargers and Packers. And there’s still the chance the Falcons lose to Saints and then the Bucs.

82. By Eazy E on Jan 6, 2012 | Reply

Whew! Skelton got in going late and threw 46 passes, completed 28, and had 313 yards, a pick, and a td. Running game really never got fully going and you have to credit browns d for some of that. Beanie only had 15 carries for 51 yards, but did score another rushing td. Fitz only had 3 catches and 65 yards, but that corner route was key and clutch. Dre had a nice game which have been unfortunately rare for him with 6 catches for 60 yards and a td. O-Line as a whole had another inconsistent game which is too consistent with them. Gave up 4 sacks and 2 each to sheard and gocong. D-Line did a pretty good job against the run even though Peyton had one of his better games of the season. Schofield made some huge sacks including both being back to back which was nice. Seneca actually had a good game against our d. Little got loose on that big 76 yard TD which had to be a breakdown in the back end. Overall, not bad though. Feely had the BIG 22 yard game winner off the fantastic Patrick Peterson Punt Return, that guy is ridiculously good. Good close win Cards.