Kolb still having concussion symptoms

Posted by Darren Urban on December 28, 2011 – 2:36 pm

Quarterback Kevin Kolb said he is still having symptoms from his concussion, ones he obviously cannot play with, and while he will continue to work this week to see if they subside, his chances of returning for the season finale are shrinking quickly. He had a full psych exam Tuesday, which showed him a “little slow” in reaction times and processing information compared to his baseline tests earlier in the year.

“It basically just validates what we have been saying as far as symptoms,” Kolb said.

“There is a reason for some of the symptoms I have had,” he added. “Nothing serious, but something I can’t play with.”

Kolb shrugged off the idea he’d just shut it down this week, even though his chances to play are diminishing by the day. “You never know when you can help out,” Kolb said.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt emphasized the Cards continue to follow league protocols for concussions, but part of it is getting Kolb on the practice field and seeing how he reacts, which Kolb did again Wednesday in very limited work. All signs point to another John Skelton start (including Skelton doing a conference call with Seattle reporters). Kolb said the doctors have told him another two or three weeks of rest he should be fine.

Kolb noted that after talking with many players and ex-players who have gone through it, every concussion is different. That includes his own concussion in 2010, when he said he felt fine by the end of the following week. That hasn’t been the case this time.

– Cornerback Patrick Peterson didn’t practice with his bad Achilles. He too seems like a longshot to play, although Whisenhunt isn’t ruling him out. T Brandon Keith (ankle) and S Kerry Rhodes (ankle) were the other two to sit out. Rhodes could be back tomorrow, Whiz said.

Tags:

50 Responses to “Kolb still having concussion symptoms”

1. By Anthony on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

well why not let skelton play and get all the time he can…. he in my opinion he is prob gonna be the future qb…and i hope PP can play and get that record that he deserves, however, dont wanna ruin a bright career by being greedy. there is always next year

2. By Mark on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Is Adrian Wilson Returning Next Season For the Card’s?

3. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Mark —

RE: ADub

Yes, I have no doubt.

4. By Paul H. on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Heard a couple of yahoos on the radio talking that the Cards should basically try to lose Sunday to be able to move up a few places in the NFL draft. That’s crazy talk. I have heard that pertaining the #1 overall pick but not in the middle of the draft order. I trust that Whiz would never consider such a thought. You can tell he really respects our fans and what they bring to UOP each home game.

5. By kkfan on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

I think a full off season to get healthy. A second season to gel with his new team. A much clearer understanding of the offense, l I believe will make a world of difference to Kevin’s performance next season. Providing too, that they shore up that O line. Imparticular the two tackle positions.

I’m sure the 30 sacks he took , plus all the hits , eventually caught up with him and were as much responsible for the lingering concussion symtoms than the initial hit that took him out of the game and ended his season.

In short I agree with the article written by Sando, on Kolb. If the Cards can
    help keep him upright with an improved O line, with the comming together of the defense, I have a good feeling about the team next season.

But if you guys deside he isn’t the answer for you I’ve no doubt that Andy would snatch him back up in a heart beat. But I would think and hope that the Cards owners (and Whiz) would at least give him next season to prove his worth.

6. By Canadian Red Bird on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Re: Kolb

Surprise, surprise. Andy Reid is still laughing.

7. By stewart badly on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

THREE MORE WEEKS TO REST AND HE SHOULD BE FINE? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? THIS IS THE QB OF THE FUTURE?????
    I think he is a concussion away from being out of football. He probably has had concussion since high school that we don’t know about. He was the talk of the national media, saying that he was the next Aaron Rodgers. well we were all wrong. time to cut our losses and go with John Skelton, he is big, srong, fearless competitor that can only get better with the experience and can become a leader on this young team, I think coach wiz is becoming a skelton believer by saying that he rather have a QB that starts slow and finish strong and that Skelton can inprove his slow starts with expirience. I LOVE JOHN.

8. By stewart badly on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Yes coach Reed will take kolb…..to hunt wild pigs, becouse both will be out of football next season….lol

9. By Bob-O! on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

win or loose, I’m proud of the Cards for having the mental dexterity to fight back at the last half of the season. Congrats to all the Cardnials and staff for culitvation a Champion like attitude. You all are champions this year in overcoming your short comings, Time ran out but we’ll get em next year. :O)

10. By stewart badly on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

HE WAS SUPPOSED TO TAKE US TO THE PLAYOFF THIS YEAR, HE WAS THE MISSING LINK………WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY, BUILD A TEAM THROUGH THE DRAFT, AND DEVELOP OUR OWN PLAYERS. BUILDING A TEAM THROUGH FREE AGENCY DOESN’T WORK……ASK PHILADELPHIA HOW IT WORK FOR THEM.

11. By Sarah on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

I am too lazy to check, if we had won against Cincy and with Detroit and Atlanta winning their games would the Cards still have a playoff shot going into the Seattle game ????

12. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Stewart Badly —

RE: Symptoms

I feel so relieved to know a doctor is reading my blog.

13. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Stewart Badly —

RE: Caps lock

By the way, feel free to write without all caps.

14. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Sarah —

RE: Playoffs

No, but Atlanta lost.

15. By Steve on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Kolb is apparently made of china, what a waste.

16. By carlo italy 7000 on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

dj young
    darren is true the new player added to the roster was signed to the roster cause eagles were ready to take him??

17. By Emil Dogar on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

@Stewart Badly
    Cut the crap. I really can’t hear you and people like you anymore. Do you see Skelton as a franchise QB the way he is playing now? Wait until we play teams like Saints or Packers; they’ll score 40 points by half and there’s no way Skelton will be able to get out of that hole then. If you tell me he needs improvement, then why can’t you be patient with Kolb as well? Give hiom time to know the offense, give him time to play with the improved defense(which he has not, except Dallas game). You seem to forget Skelton played last year, so he knew how this offense works, had the off season to look over the playbook and has the numbers Kolb has without ALL of this. Kolb couldn’t have the playbook until august, and came to a different offense. So next time, think before you speak. I don’t have anything against Skelton, but he needs to produce sooner. And if you are willing to give him time to get better, I find it fair to do the same for Kolb too.

18. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Carlo –

RE: DJ Young

That’s what Kent Somers reported. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be true.

19. By BIG RED on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Emil, the way I see it, even if you give Kolb the book for this coming summer all the way till spring training, what good will it do him. Have you forgotten that this guy is injury prone and can’t take a hit. That means you’ll be upset again, cause John Skelton will finish the remainder of the season. So, lets just stick with the 23 year QB a boy among man.

20. By Sarah on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Gracias ! So even if we won against Cincy we would not have made the playoffs in the end anyway ( Detroit blew SD away ), c’est domage . I hate the Seahawks so a 500 season is cool to go for.

Re. Kolb, we need to renegotiate his contract or cut our losses. I think he would be willing to reduce outside of the guaranteed money as his value is surely diminished at the moment and he never really proved much. I would also like to see Bartel in real time action against a first string defense.

S

21. By Scott H on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Ugh. Bad enough we are ending this season without really knowing what we have in Kolb. And now injury concerns have to enter the discussion, considering he has now spent a significant portion of the last two seasons on the side-lines. Oh well. Just have to hope for better next year.

Shame we had to see what Skelton could do THIS YEAR when we had such a golden opportunity to do so last year. Thanks again for your inexplicable stubborness in sticking with Derek Anderson…which got us absolutely nowhere.

Looking forward to what I hope will be an open competition at QB in camp next year.

Looking forward even more to ending with a win against the damn Seahawks this Sunday!

22. By ben on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

emil dogar

your foolish talking bad about the defense to stick up for anybody. i cant stand to hear people like you anymore. you probably think the cards came into the league when curt warner started for a couple seasons. if you have been a fan of this orginization for the 2 decades they have been here you to should a little bit pissed off.

23. By clssylssy on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

It amazes me that people don’t recognize that this concussion was a serious injury and more than just a headache. Emil, I guess you don’t recall that when we beat the Saints last year it was with Max Hall, another underrated, unknown and so it would seem that winning is a team effort and not solely on the QB. I could very well see this team beating the Saints, the Ravens (that was a close call for the purple birds and our D wasn’t at full speed yet), whoever. I read the statement from Maurice Jones Drew that he would lie and play anyway with a head injury which leads me to believe he already is suffering the ill effects from too many hits and hope that KK doesn’t feel pressure to do the same. If he is still “a little slow at some things” I would hope he continues under medical care. FLY HIGH ANGRY REDBIRDS AGAINST THE SEAHAWKS! Win or Lose, I’m proud of the Cards and look forward to a great season next year!

24. By Scharf on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

RE: QB Talk

Just going by the 2011 statistics and 2011 opponents as well as standing support from other areas. Both of these QB’s are in the same boat – they are almost identical, with a few discrepancies, most notably in the number of wins.

Kolb – 8 Games, 2-6 record, 57.7% accuracy, 9 touchdowns, 8 interceptions, 8 fumbles, with an 81.1 rating at quarterback.

Skelton – 7 Games, 5-2 record, 54.9% accuracy, 10 touchdowns, 13 interceptions, 4 fumbles, 2 safeties, with an 68.1 rating at quarterback.

Now, really I see the same exact quarterback in all the statistics and that is plain and simple. Only completing a little over half their passes, and turning the ball over way too often. Now to really make an argument we have to look at every aspect of the game and not just the player themselves. Kolb is not the only new aspect this year, we had a new defensive scheme, one that didn’t start producing until Skelton had taken over which helps account for more wins – not taking any credit away from Skelton, but the defense has to also be credited with keeping games close and within reach of wins.

Both quarterbacks could use some work and that’s why I believe each one deserves a shot at the starting job because in my mind it’s up for grabs – although, Kolb with an offseason and a much improved defense playing for him might generate that winning season we have all been yearning for since Warner walked out that door.

25. By Scharf on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Also – I really hope both of these Quarterbacks take care of the ball next year. 35 turnovers between the two of them is unacceptable and is a huge reason why we are below our potential as a team. (35 may be too big of a number because I am assuming all the fumbles were not recovered by our team, and even if they were it is still unacceptable to have that ball touch the green, unless it is in the opponents end zone.)

26. By Brian on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Atleast we have two decent QBs for next year. Keep these guys and coach them up. I hope theyre both good and one willing to play backup for another.

27. By kkfan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

@ Emil, It amazes me how blind some fans choose to be concerning Kolb.
    Look, I get that many are more supportive of Skelton because they’ve know him longer (being drafted by the team) and more atuned to his personality, having been with the team longer than Kolb.

I understand the injury concerns. If infact they are the real reason he has been put on the shelf. I know Kevin is a team player. He isn’t the type to rock the boat. if Whiz or the owenrs said “Look we want to go with Skelton”…Kolb isn’t going to protest. He didn’t in Philly when the decision was made to go with Vick over him. So I don’t see him being any less professional about the decisions being made ( that he has no control over ) here in AZ, than he did in Philly. I’m not saying that is the case. I’m just saying, that it wouldn’t be the first time he was lifted in favor of someone they knew more about and liked better.

I agree that it seems ridiculous that the anti Kolb fans are so willing to give Skelton the time to develop but not Kevin.

Anyone who thought that Kolb was going to come to a new team. With a completely different system on both offense and defense, and take them to the SB in his first season with them. Having had NO off season to speak of with the team, is either delusional as all get out. Or very juvenile to harbor such expectations.

@ big red: you know nothing about how Andy saw or feels about Kolb. I do, having listened to his press conferences .

28. By Danish Fan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

i’m a danish fan of our AZ.. but i’m beginning to grow tired of people complaining about Kolb.. the ones of you there play football yourself would know that learning a playbook takes more than just two weeks.. next year i feel like this kid some of you call “glass-head” will prove to be a reliable QB. when he is in a system he knows he is a good QB.

Darren
    do you have any stats on the two QBs in the last half of the season, so we can see how equal they actually are?

by the way, im very sarisfied with your big work around the team darren, thanks :)

29. By Jeff Gollin on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Rather than slam Kolb or the deal we made with the Eagles, we might be well-advised to remember that his concussion was the result (& symptom) of lackluster O-line play (Our 2 starting tackles and backup were ranked last or near-last all year long by PFF.

The big issue for us in the off season will be: “Do we throw in the towel and start over at QB (at the expense of not improving our O-line)? Or do we take radical steps to overhaul this problem area for once and for all.

(I for one believe that our O-line problems negativelyimpacted every area of our game – from field position to play-calling and defensive stamina).

30. By Eric on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

@ Stewart badly,

There are good and bad fans, smart and dumb fans, educated and ignorant fans. You sir seem to be a babbling idiot. Common Darren, you are so glad I said that, I could sense you REALLY wanting to say that, so I’ll say it for you.

I’m looking forward to KK having a full off season, some one on on (hopefully with Todd Haley), and a solid camp. He’ll, let he and Skelton compete, it would be rhetorical because KK is the better QB, but maybe it would do something extra for his self confidence, and maybe even satisfy some fans to actually see it.

Again Darren, thanks for being objective, and CLEARLY patient. I’m bummed after Sunday we go into off season mode. I’ll see all you guys out at UOP Sunday to hopefully celebrate one more victory and a positive end to an otherwise crazy season.

31. By Smack 28 on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Darren:

Of course, this situation muddies the waters at the QB position. I think it is time for the Cardinals to look in a different direction. Kolb is not the immediate answer. Even removing the injuries from the equation, he has a ton of things he must improve before a true analysis can even begin. Inaccuracy, poor footwork, inability to keep the eyes downfield, and no ability to find any comfort in the pocket are issues that end QB careers. He has all of them. Now, add in his the injuries. It is a very bad situation.

Skelton also needs more time to learn. He is not a starter now and would not start on most teams in the NFL. If he becomes the starter for next year, it will be another up and down season. Let’s face it, the window is closing for many of the Cardinals players and losing another year will be devestating for Fitz, Dockett, and Wilson. I think the Cardinals should consider bringing in another older QB to compete. This team needs an older vet that can help groom Skelton and even Kolb while competing for the Super Bowl. I know the current investment in the QB position is high, but Kolb needs to renegotiate his contract based on this season’s performance.

So, if Peyton Manning is not signed by the Colts (obviously a big “if”), would the Cardinals have interest in his services for say two years? It seems like a logical fit given the need, the potential of either Skelton or Kolb learning from the best, and a seasoned vet throwing to Fitz. What are your thoughts?

32. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Danish —

RE: QB Stats

Kolb stats here: http://www.azcardinals.com/team/roster/Kevin-Kolb/4b41cb3a-c792-45c9-8e2d-ecd97a70e5fa

Skelton stats here: http://www.azcardinals.com/team/roster/John-Skelton/0f32d45a-7baf-4a0f-bfc2-1152b11a1b05

33. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Smack 28 —

RE: Manning

I think we are a long, long way from having that be a consideration. I still believe Manning remains with the Colts, regardless of who they pick.

34. By Kevin S on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Scott H,

Once again you are looking at the end result and then using it to critique something after the fact that was an obvious decision at the time.

There probably isn’t a single NFL team that would have considered going with Skelton any earlier than the Cards did in 2010. He played in 4 games which is 4 more than anyone would have expected — and he likely wouldn’t have played in those games if Max Hall hadn’t gotten hurt. Think about that — the people paid to evaluate our players thought Max Hall was a better option than Skelton last year. Now, you can argue with that, but unless you think you’re smarter than they are, and had attended all the practices and training camp, you really don’t have a basis for doing so.

Do you honestly think we should have thrown him out there in game 6? Game 7? Game 8? The Cards were 3-3 after 6 games last year, and in the weakest division in football. No one is realistically going to turn over their fortunes at that point, when they’re in the thick of the division race, to a guy who’s never seen a Div I-A defense, much less an NFL defense. The conventional wisdom in the NFL for a long time has been that you generally don’t play rookie QB’s at all. That’s being flaunted a little more by teams in recent years, but with guys like Bradford, Newton, Gabbert (1st round picks) or Dalton (nearly a 1st-round pick), not a guy drafted in the 5th round who had never even seen a Div I-A defense, much less an NFL one. And in many cases the conventional wisdom is still being followed (e.g., Minnesota — they had Ponder, the 12th pick in the draft, but saw fit to start the aging McNabb ahead of him). Ponder didn’t start until the 7th game this year, and he probably still wouldn’t be starting if the Vikings hadn’t blown 17-7, 17-0 and 20-0 halftime leads in their first 3 games of the season.

One thing about Skelton is that he’s been the beneficiary of fortunate scheduling and well-timed defensive play — not just this year, but last year as well. If you just looked at his QB play alone, the team probably should have gone 0-4 in his starts last year, and there wouldn’t have been such a clamoring for him this year. (He was 15-37 with a 52 QB rating in the Denver win; it just happened that in his first start, we ran into a team in even worse shape than we were. And he was 11-25 in the Dallas win; we only won that one because he was spotted 2 pick 6’s in the first quarter.)

The 2nd SF start gave me enough hope to think he might be a decent NFL QB someday, and even in that start he had 2 INT’s and a fumble. But once again, to act like the Cards are idiots for not playing him sooner last year, when in fact they’ve probably given him as much if not more of a shot than most teams would have given him at this point, is ridiculous.

35. By Peter in Canada on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Darren – Can you tell me the extent of Kolb’s practicing and mental activity during practices? Doctors up here have a lot of experience with hockey related concussions. They recommend as much rest for the brain as possible after a concussion. They don’t recommend reading, watching TV or other mental activities. They feel that mental activity prolongs concussion symptoms.

36. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Peter in Canada —

RE: Kolb work

I just know they are monitoring it carefully under NFL guidelines. I don’t know specifics.

37. By CardiacCards on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I like both are QB’s. May the best man WIN!

38. By Peter in Canada on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Kevin S – That was a well-thought out post. The key point you make is that Skelton was probably 2 years behind the average rookie QB when he arrived in camp last year. The thing that gives me hope is the fact that with the limited opportunities that he got as a third stringer for most of last year was that he was able to pass Max Hall and have a QB rating of 62 and not 32. This year despite Kolb getting most of the reps in camp, he has once again improved. But you are right he must continue to improve; he has not arrived. That said, given his still relative inexperience, and his own knowledge that he has not yet arrived,there is reason to believe that with a full off-season and training camp he will continue to improve. Given Kolb’s concussion problems, he might be seeing a lot of action next year so we must hope he does improve.

39. By Kevin S on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Scharf,

I don’t think you can throw out those stats and then say Kolb and Skelton are “equal.” The wins, as you acknowledge, are more a function of the schedule and how the team (defense in particular) is playing. With decent QB play in the Cincinnati game we probably could have won; instead, we needed Benson to cough up two 4th quarter fumbles just to have a shot.

QB rating may have some flaws, but there’s a big difference between 68.1 and 81.1. 13 points of QB rating is a lot. It’s the difference between being at the league median, where Kolb is, and one of the 3 lowest in the league, which is where Skelton is. Or, to put it differently, 13 points in the other direction from Kolb puts you right in between Stafford and Roethlisberger, and ahead of Ryan and E Manning. Are you going to argue there’s no difference between Kolb and those guys this year?

40. By wonderiingwhy on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Seriously. Kolb got grazed in the head. WTF What is going to happen when the big baby gets hit next year will he sit out another 5 or 6 games because of his sysmtoms. We need a QB not a glass man. Get rid of him while you can cut your losses and get somebody that can play the game of football and does not find every excuse in the book to not be on the field. Go back to fishing Kolb.

41. By Scott H on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Kevin –

I appreciate your thoughts, as well presented as they were. To answer one of your questions – No, I certainly didn’t KNOW that Skelton was a better option at the time. But I firmly BELIEVED that we should have been looking at him sooner than we did. You target your question toward the point of Weeks 6 or 7…OK. Well, what about Week 9 or 10? C’mon, wasn’t it quite obvious by THEN that we were nowhere with Anderson? Wasn’t it obvious by then that we had no future with Anderson and had two young QB’s that we were – apparently – excited about? Maybe we are looking at different points on the time line of last season. And please understand that my desire to see Skelton sooner than we did was absoltely fueled by my frustration level with Anderson, which had been simmering since the day he was signed. Your response does not mention his name once!

Again, I have no crystal ball. But I felt quite sure that Derek Anderson was a huge mistake and that proved to be accurate. My FEELING about Skelton is that he is a good QB. Only time will tell if that is accurate.

And please keep in mind that just because people get paid to a job, that doesn’t mean that they aren’t wrong sometimes. Yes, Hall WAS ahead of Skelton on the depth chart last year. Well? Doesn’t that appear to be an error in judgement at this point? Not trying to simple here, but…just as we may have mis-judged Skelton then, couldn’t those who feel he is not a legit QB be mis-judging him again in the present?

Again, I appreciate your thoughts. But with all due respect, I don’t think feeling that Skelton should have played sooner last year is riciculous. I think sticking with Derek Anderson – a man who was the starting QB for TWO wins last year – was far more ridiculous.

42. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Wonderingwhy —

RE: Kolb concussion

Always enjoy tough talk from someone who won’t put his name to the comment.

43. By kaleb on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

corn on the KOLB!! give him an o-line he will be fine. Please do not bring in another qb. I dont know how many more seasons of “building the team” i can take. Any decent qb will flourish with a great o-line. lets get it done.

44. By jerry on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Darren
    I know this is totally off the subject but as I was watching our past home game on tv, it was said that there was new, different grass. I didnt see a lot of slipping on the field as before. I do think it would take a little time to get use to playing on new grass. Do you think that had any impact of the game even though we did win. I know they are different turf on away games and thats expected. Im just curious.

45. By Kevin S on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Scott, it’s nice when people can be civil on this site. The musical chairs at QB last year were definitely frustrating. Personally I was not as down on DA as most were, but I agree that he definitely wasn’t the answer. I think it’s unfortunate in some ways that we won the NO game with Hall (in some ways, similar to a few of Skelton’s wins, not so much because of the QB play but in spite of it), because that led us to trot him out there for 2 more games in which he was horrible. DA almost brought us back in the Tampa game. Maybe if he had played in those games, he would have won one (or both?) of them and kept some confidence, instead of getting the job back only by default because Hall was even worse than he was.

Again, not saying Skelton doesn’t have the tools to become a legit QB. Just not sure the Cards are in a position where they’d want to just roll the dice with him at this point. We’ll see what a full offseason and training camp do for both him and Kolb.

Trust me, I’m glad we have Skelton along with Kolb.

46. By Darren Urban on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

Jerry —

RE: Turf

They replaced the sod before the Cleveland game. No, I don’t think it impacts the game in any significant way.

47. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

I wish Kevin the best in his recovery. Hopefully he and Skelton will be 100% coming training camp 2012.

I just hope that if either of them plays poorly in 2012, we don’t have to hear the excuse that, “they didn’t play a full season in 2011 and aren’t up to speed in 2012.” Both QBs are going to have a full offseason, full training camp, and full preseason next year should all go well. If I have to listen to Kolb lessen our expectations (he has done this very well so far in Arizona) come 2012 because of lost time due to injury in 2011, I’m going to loose whatever confidence I have left in him at that point.

48. By Scott H on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

Kevin S –

Again, my appreciation for your thoughts and civility as well! Sounds like we are pretty much in the same boat. I think what has truly become a very significant issue in this discussion is Kolb appearing to be quite prone to injury at this point. And I wonder if we are going to see more of Skelton going forward simply because of that.

What I WANT to see is Kolb stay healthy ( regardless ) and an open competition in camp next year, won by the guy who truly out-performs the other. But until he shows that he can stay healthy, I feel like I will be holding my breath with Kolb on every snap.

If nothing else, I’m SURE we agree that it is good to be rid of Derek Anderson. Man, what a dark and miserable chapter that was…

49. By KDubADub1324 on Dec 31, 2011 | Reply

Kolb will be fine. He will start next year. His only downfall will be if he gets injured. Even if there is an open QB competition in camp, I don’t think Skelton outdoes Kolb. Kolb is the better QB. Kolb had a string of bad luck this year and quite honestly, given the fact the OL and defense sucked the first half of the year and given that he couldn’t start playing with the team until the middle of camp to learn the offense, I think he was ok and showed his potential. But I do agree that next year will be put up or shut up for him. There will be no excuses for him then. Those that are so anit-Kolb are probably those same people who expected him to come in and win the Super Bowl (probably Stewart Badly – its fans like him that give other fans a bad rep) For those that are quick to say Skelton’s the man, and that he should be given the time and the chance, I think the same should be given to Kolb. So what if he’s been in the league 5 seasons. He was essentially a rookie when he came here (new situation, new coaches, new system – totally different than Philly). I don’t care who the QB is as long as AZ wins. But from a QB standpoint, Kolb is one who gives them the best shot

50. By Eazy E on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

Boy did we get screwed in that Kolb deal!?!? I was saying this way before we got him. DRC and a 2nd round draft pick OUCH!